Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,414 members, 7,819,482 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:02 PM

Inter-tribal Relationships - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Inter-tribal Relationships (25011 Views)

Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage / Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage / Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by somegirl(f): 9:52pm On Oct 08, 2006
sista: I didn't misinterpret you, you misinterpreted your self.

Do you want to tell me what I want to say with my posts? Maybe, I don't express myself well because English is not my language. However, even if I make mistakes concerning grammar and/or vocabulary, it does not change what I WANT to say.

sista: You were eluding that forget about what white people have done to the entire continent of Africa,  [---]

No. Tell me where I denied colonialism, slavery and exploitation?

back to topic: Nostrings, I wish you all the best, especially in regards to your mother. If she met him, she might see him as the person he is and not just his ethnical background. I wish the two of you a wonderful future together.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by segedoo(m): 10:09pm On Oct 08, 2006
@ y'all

i think we all need to follow our hearts and use our heads

there are no absolutes or hard and fast rules about relationships
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by Sista(f): 10:20pm On Oct 08, 2006
@somegirl

Do you want to tell me what I want to say with my posts? Maybe, I don't express myself well because English is not my language. However, even if I make mistakes concerning grammar and/or vocabulary, it does not change what I WANT to say.

Your English was just fine and again I didn't misinterpret you. I know what you were trying to do. There is absolutely no excuse for brining up the fighting between the Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa at a time that I was telling another sister about what White people have done to black people. Your aim was to get us to look away from white people as the enemy and look at our fellow brothers as the enemy. Or you tell me, why did you bring up the fighting between the Igbo Hausa and Yoruba's as soon as I finished talking about what white people have done to black people.? Why did you do that sense you want to pretend that I am wrong about what you were attempting to do.

No. Tell me where I denied colonialism, slavery and exploitation?

I am going to take for granted that you are really naive to what you were doing, although I highly doubt it.

To answer your question, you denied it when you tried to redirect me from what white people have done to black people by asking me this question below.

Sista, have you ever talked with Igbo people about other Nigerian "tribes"? Ask them what the Hausa and Yoruba have done to them and you might be surprised!

It was very subtle what you were doing.

But, I will give you a chance to expalin what was your motive behind that?

You said it was to inform me of what other Igbo people have told you and this makes you sad but why ask me this question when I was trying to get the fellow sister to see what white people have done to the entire continent of Africa. Why?
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by somegirl(f): 10:48pm On Oct 08, 2006
And why did you have to bring in the whites? The topic was never abouts the whites before you mentioned them.

sista: To answer your question, you denied it when you tried to redirect me from what white people have done to black people by asking me this question below.

Sista, that is your interpretation but it is wrong.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by enugu(f): 11:13pm On Oct 08, 2006
@Nostrings

Inter-tribal marriage is not as straight forward as it seems. Having said that, I'm not trying to discourage you but to get you to look deep into your heart. Are you at peace with marrying this guy? Look at yourselves in the next 5, 10 15 years (God willing) can you honestly say that this is the guy you would want to spend the rest of your life with??

You see whether we like it or not, marriage comes with its own 'issues' so does inter-tribal marriage so you have to be absolutely sure that he is what you want.

Secondly, learn all about him and his tribe and how you can fit yourself in; don't take anything for granted. Love is not enough! It needs trust, patience, committment, etc to help it blossom. All that 'this is the 21st century and not our parent's times blah, blah, blah is alright until you hit the hard times and then yawa will begin gas

Always be totally honest with yourself, even if you can't be with anybody else. Strip everything down to its barest minimum: at the end of the day, if you can stand and proudly say 'this is the man I want for the rest of my life, the father of my children, the love of my life, then you will be able to work towards making your different tribes a plus rather than a minus.

There might be a lot of opposition but true love conquers in the end. Remember, his family, your family are not your enemy; they are just fighting albeit, misguidedly (or not) for their loved one so they might prove difficult. Have God on your side and if this man is His will for you, you will prevail.

God loves you. wink Cheers cheesy

she speaks from experience
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by somegirl(f): 11:24pm On Oct 08, 2006
@topic: I agree with Enugu. One of my dearest friends is a Yoruba woman married to an Igbo man. Their marriage might not be perfect (no marriage is me thinks) but they now got a lovable family with four kids of their own.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by chinani(f): 2:43am On Oct 09, 2006
superman:

hah ! chiani im educating u for free
No. You haven't taught me anything yet. You don't even know what's in my head so I don't know why you'd say that.

@Somegirl
No, your English is fine. Myself & others understand you well. wink

Enugu spoke well. . . grin
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by Sista(f): 3:44am On Oct 09, 2006
@Chinani

I keep telling Somegirl that her English is just fine. She keeps trying to convince me that her English is not fine.

@Somegirl

And why did you have to bring in the whites?

You keep evading my question, why? I see right through you.

I was talking to a fellow sister about an experience she and I share, not you. Now I really see your reason for why you brought up the fights between the Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba. You brought it up to distract me and that girl away from what white people do and continue to do to people of color.
You wanted to convince us that the enemy are our own brothers and sisters.

The topic was never abouts the whites before you mentioned them.

I told you in my last post, if my interpretation was wrong, for you to explain to me, just why it was, you felt the need to bring up the fights between the Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba. You keep coming back trying to convince me that there was a flaw in your English and that I misinterpreted you. Yet you still have not explained why you brought up those fights?

I don't want to hear anything else about your English. If you can not tell me your motive behind bringing up the fights between the Igbo Yoruba and the Hausa, don't even bother responding back to me.

I will just keep what I interpreted you to be eluding, it seems more sensible than there was a flaw in you English.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by somegirl(f): 7:15am On Oct 09, 2006
sista: She keeps trying to convince me that her English is not fine.

I mentioned my command of English exactly ONCE to you. "To keep trying" means that you persist in something, that you try to do it over and over again. "Trying to o convince" means that you try to persuade somebody, to make somebody agree with you. All I did was to make a suggestion as to why we might misunderstand each other. It could have been that I made some little error that distorted the overall message of my posts. But I don't believe so anymore.

Sista, because of your habit to twist things around, I won't answer your question because whatever I would say you would change it to fit into that picture you got of me. You said you still could have a civil conversation with me even if I was white but it is not true.

Did you notice that you are doing exactly that of what you accuse others? You are obsessed with the whites, with your hatred for them. And you divide (some of) the blacks into conflicting groups arguing each other whether THE whites are evil or just human.

Yes, you see right through me, meaning you see the white wall of my room, but you don't see me.

Sista, good-bye. This was my last reply to you.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by somegirl(f): 7:30am On Oct 09, 2006
@Chinani: Daalu.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by lafile(m): 8:58am On Oct 09, 2006
whats d fuss about tribes? i am yoruba. my wife is from edo state. my mum is ijaw. her mum is Ghanaian. i grew up in delta state. dated a few ibo girls when i was single. and believe me whatever problems u can get from someone of a different tribe u can get from someone from ur own backyard. it just depends on how much u know the person. end of story.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by GNature(m): 10:43am On Oct 09, 2006
lafile:

whats d fuss about tribes? i am yoruba. my wife is from edo state. my mum is ijaw. her mum is Ghanaian. i grew up in delta state. dated a few ibo girls when i was single. and believe me whatever problems u can get from someone of a different tribe u can get from someone from your own backyard. it just depends on how much u know the person. end of story.

Great example of inter-tribal success story. Thanks for sharing it with us
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by laudate: 3:00pm On Oct 09, 2006
enugu:

@Nostrings

Inter-tribal marriage is not as straight forward as it seems. Having said that, I'm not trying to discourage you but to get you to look deep into your heart. Are you at peace with marrying this guy? Look at yourselves in the next 5, 10 15 years (God willing) can you honestly say that this is the guy you would want to spend the rest of your life with??

You see whether we like it or not, marriage comes with its own 'issues' so does inter-tribal marriage so you have to be absolutely sure that he is what you want.

Secondly, learn all about him and his tribe and how you can fit yourself in; don't take anything for granted. Love is not enough! It needs trust, patience, committment, etc to help it blossom. All that 'this is the 21st century and not our parent's times blah, blah, blah is alright until you hit the hard times and then yawa will begin gas

Always be totally honest with yourself, even if you can't be with anybody else. Strip everything down to its barest minimum: at the end of the day, if you can stand and proudly say 'this is the man I want for the rest of my life, the father of my children, the love of my life, then you will be able to work towards making your different tribes a plus rather than a minus.

There might be a lot of opposition but true love conquers in the end. Remember, his family, your family are not your enemy; they are just fighting albeit, misguidedly (or not) for their loved one so they might prove difficult. Have God on your side and if this man is His will for you, you will prevail.

God loves you. wink Cheers cheesy

she speaks from experience

@Nostrings, your parents love you but please try to remember that they are from a different generation and were raised in a different time, as such they are likely to have a different perspective about inter-tribal relationships and/or marriages.

@Enugu, your comments are quite valid, but the truth is that love knows no boundaries, respects no colour and is quite often disinterested in reason. Most people especially older folks tend to shy away from things that they do not understand or are unfamiliar with. People from other tribes represent an unknown entity to them, so this is likely to breed distrust in their minds. Because they are not familiar with the unknown, they take refuge in using stereotypes to categorize that unknown entity or person, in a bid to profile the person and understand  him or her.

Every marriage has its own problems, some more than others. I have seen Nigerians marry foreigners, bring them back home and have a wonderful marriage. I have also seen the reverse happening. I have seen Nigerians marry people from other ethnic groups and those marriages turn out to be a beautiful, never-ending love story. I have also seen the opposite happening. The truth is that there are no hard and fast rules. There are different strokes for different folks.

I met a couple once who came from the same village. Their families lived streets apart from each other. Yet, that marriage lasted for less than five years. It was a nightmare from beginning to the end. A few years later, the man married a foreigner and till date, he has been married to his expatriate wife for fifteen blissful years! They both live in Lagos.

Let me share some examples of successful inter-tribal marriages that I have seen:

Take the case of retired Commodore Ebitu Ukiwe, a high-ranking title holder from Abia State whose lovely wife Amina is still radiant after twenty-five years of marriage to the Abiriba born chief. Amina Ukiwe is a half-Lebanese, Northern  woman whose father is a medical doctor from the North.  The fact that his wife is non-Igbo, has not stopped Ukiwe from taking an active interest in issues that affect his people. Currently, he is a top shot in Ohanaeze Ndi’Igbo, the apex Igbo socio-political group.

Chief Mrs. Oluremi Adiukwu-Bakare, the Lagos State Commissioner who handles local government affairs, is one person who can attest to the fact, that marriage to an Igbo man is a rewarding experience. Her marriage to the late Major Adiukwu from Imo state lasted for over twenty years, until the fine gentleman passed away a few years back. While he was alive, he supported her quest for public office and groomed her in business. Their marriage was blessed with children including a set of twins. One of their daughters Taiwo, had a beautiful wedding in Lagos a few years back and the entire Igbo community in Ikeja, turned out en masse to support her. It took a while for Oluremi Adiukwu to come to terms with his death. It was just a few years ago that she decided to re-marry again, when she agreed to become the wife of Chief S.B Bakare of Oluwalogbon Motors.

Professor Vincent Chukwuemeka Ike the former head of the West African Examinations Council (WAEC), is another person who broke the mould to pick a wife from the South-West over forty years ago, when he decided to marry Professor Adebimpe Ike nee Abimbolu, a Yoruba lady from Ijebu land. Today, the highly respected writer, who has watched his wife reach the pinnacle of her career, is a fulfilled man.

Another example of a couple who shared marital bliss until they were separated by death are the Anyaegbunams. The late Justice Frederick Anyaegbunam an Onitsha man, married elegant Joyce Petgrave, a Yoruba lady born in Abeokuta, to Carribean parents. They were married for over 40 years. During his lifetime, her husband Justice Anyaegbunam took the prestigious Ozo title.  So did two of their sons. This was in the eighties. Lady Joyce Anyaegbunam was also conferred with the title of Nwaebuona. Her third son Izuchukwu, followed the footsteps of his father when he decided to take a Yoruba girl as a wife. He picked Adetutu Adetona, the daughter of highly respected monarch Oba Sikiru Adetona of Ijebuland as his wife more than ten years ago. Both of them are medical doctors, and they currently have 3 children.

Chief Mrs. Sola Onyekwele is a Yoruba woman, who has nothing but high praise for Igbo men. Her husband Brig-General Philip Onyekwele from Asaba, is an Igbo man who has taken care of her, for more than 30 years. She recalls that when they first met, inter-ethic marriages were unusual. “In fact, in those days, marriages between Ife and Modakeke which shared a common boundary were not common, so how could you say you wanted to even cross over to marry from the East?,” she said in an earlier interview. On the day she introduced her suitor to her father, the old man frowned and brought out his dane gun ready to shoot the young chap. But Philip Onyekwele persisted and finally got permission to marry his heart throb. The rest as they say, is history. They gave out one of their daughters in marriage early this year, at an elaborate wedding ceremony in Lagos.

Chief Philip Asiodu former permanent secretary, is another Igbo man who defied traditional convention, to marry from the South West. He got hooked to Jumoke Perreira a Lagosian woman, in the mid-sixties. A truly detribalized man, he was born more than seventy years ago in Calabar to the late Chibuzor Asiodu. He started his career in the Federal Civil Service after graduating with a degree in Politics, Philosophy and Economics from a London university. He has represented Nigeria at the highest levels both locally and internationally. Chief Asiodu was once named the Secretary of State (i.e. Minister) of Petroleum in the eighties. He holds the traditional title of Izoma Onyia of Asaba, and is a member of the high-ranking traditional cabinet known as the Olinzele in Asaba. His marriage to Jumoke is blessed with children and has lasted for over 41 years.

Chief Benedict Mba, an Igbo high chief from Onitsha, got married over 30 years ago, but he did not pick a wife from the East. Neither did he go to the West. Instead, he chose to marry a white Australian, Prof. Nina Mba. She was so fascinated by the Igbo culture that she wrote her Ph.D dissertation on the contemporary Igbo woman in the twentieth century. Sadly, the lady passed away a few years back, after living in Nigeria for more than thirty years. Photographs used for her funeral programme showed her adorned in the full regalia of an Igbo female chief, complete with the huge ivory bangles and beads, identical to those in the Otu Odu society. She is still sorely missed by her children especially Nnenna her daughter, who graduated from University of Lagos Medical College in Idi-Araba a few years back. Nnenna got married to a Yoruba man, not too long ago.

Another distinguished Igbo son who married outside the shores of Nigeria is Dr. Emmanuel Umez-Eronini, the traditional ruler of Awo-Mbieri community in Imo State. In 1969, he married a Welsh woman, Elspeth Anne Jones, a medical doctor born in Camarthen, Dyfed, UK. The couple came down to Nigeria in 1970 after the Biafran war. On arrival, they set up the Umezuruike hospital in Owerri, to offer medical services to the populace. Dr. Elspeth Umez-Eronini was quite popular within the local community. She spent over 20 years in Owerri before relocating to the UK. During her stay in Nigeria, she learnt Igbo and was conferred with the traditional title ‘Lolo’. She passed away in Cardiff on 28 November 2001. Elspeth Anne Umez-Eronini has been described as an unrivalled mother, sister, daughter and wife, who was known & loved by many.

Dr. Walter Ofonagoro is one Igbo man who does not like talking about how he met his Indian wife Stephanie, but the vivacious lady likes to tell people that three decades of marriage has not diminished her love for her husband. Their marriage is one that has defied stereotypes. It is said that Indians hardly marry outside their cultural boundaries, but Indian born Stephanie Ofonagoro chose to discard such ideas, when she exchanged wedding vows with the former Information Minister many years ago. In 2005, they had the privilege of watching their first daughter Adaeze walk down the aisle with her beau Babatunde Williams. Nobody can tell yet, if any of their sons will follow their father’s footsteps by picking a non-Nigerian wife.

A former Information Minister, who is well liked by many people, got married in a way that shows that love knows no boundaries. Nnanyelugo Chukwuemeka Chikelu from Anambra state, married the daughter of retired Brigadier-General Hananiya from Adamawa, in a wedding that drew the crème de la crème of the society. The only son of Owelle Gilbert Chikelu has been happily married to his Adamawa wife for almost five years. He keeps his personal life out of public glare, but there is no doubt that he has lot of affection for his wife.

When another illustrious Igbo son passed away recently, a marriage that had spanned more than 45 years ended in one fell stroke. The late Dominic Azubuike Okwuraiwe met and married a Yoruba lady called Ayodele Mamah in 1958. They were together until early 2005, when he passed on. The polished gentleman had interests in shipping and haulage. He even set up a transport company known as Mgbeojikwe Limited, which he named after his late mother.

A former Supreme Court Judge from Agbani in Enugu State, also defied the norm when he married a non-Igbo woman many years ago. Late Justice Augustine Nnamani, an erudite scholar who died while serving on the bench, married a Carribean woman who had five kids for him. Their marriage lasted for almost thirty years before he departed to glory. One of his daughters is the popular film producer and actress Nwaekego Nnamani who is known as Ego Boyo. She got married in 1997 to Omamofe Boyo, an Itsekiri guy who is one of the influential directors of Oando, a leading oil company in Nigeria. Mofe’s mother Justice Constance Momoh is the former Chief Judge of Edo State.

Kingsley Onyeoziri from Imo State recalls that he met stiff resistance from his wife’s father, when he went to ask for her hand in marriage. The old man could not believe that any young man from the East could take care of his daughter properly. But he was wrong. Today Kingsley and his wife Dorcas who comes from Ososa in Ogun State, have been happily married for 17 years. They are blessed with five wonderful boys.

Barrister Chudi Nwokorie is a forthright Igbo man who went to a royal family in the South West to pick a wife. His spouse Abisola Nwokorie is also a lawyer and she is the daughter of Oba Andu, a respected monarch in Ondo State. The lady is not only active at the bar, she is also well known for her strong religious work at Guiding Light Assembly Church, which she attends in Ikoyi. They have been together for over 15 years.

Obi Ekwueme a chartered accountant and the first son of the former Vice-President of Nigeria Chief Alex Ifeanyichukwu Ekwueme, got married almost eight years ago to Abimbola, a Yoruba lady, he met while working in church. When he first proposed to her, she expressed some fear about how their families would react, based on their tribal differences. Obi calmed her fears by telling her that if their union was of God, their relationship would stand. They prayed about it and asked God to take control. When their parents were later notified of their intention to get married, they took the news without making much fuss. The few pockets of resistance they encountered came from extended family members, but it was quickly quelled by divine intervention. Today, their marriage is an inspiration for many people.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by superman(m): 3:29pm On Oct 09, 2006
for those haters jealous folk! there u have it igbo man really loves his niaja ppl less tribalistic! there u have it ! yes talk about biafra na caze be that!
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by BlackMamba(m): 4:22pm On Oct 09, 2006
Status and class affinity usually neutralize any pressure that race/ethnicity may bring to a relationship. Love alone, often cannot withstand this pressure, especially in Naija.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by laudate: 5:23pm On Oct 09, 2006
BlackMamba:

Status and class affinity usually neutralize any pressure that race/ethnicity may bring to a relationship. Love alone, often cannot withstand this pressure, especially in Naija.

Oh, I agree! Love alone cannot withstand any pressure in marriage. And it doesn't matter if the couple are from the same ethnic background or if they grew up living on the same street. Tolerance, understanding, open communication, frank and full disclosure as well as patience, compassion, respect etc. are vital. It doesn't matter if the couple comes from the same district or if they are from different continents. Both parties need to have the same mind, for their relationship to work.

If these things are absent, status and/or class will NOT hold the marriage together. Haven't you heard of couples from the same background or status, going through a divorce?
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by OMOGE2: 5:34pm On Oct 09, 2006
this is so funny becus im nigerian  and all my naijas will now were im comin from when i say this first  nigerian parents will say abeg mak uno marry akata or oigbo thats one thing then if we marry a naija they have to be from our tribe its lik dam wetin person go do to please they parent na wahh for naija parents they go give naija pekin wahala. But my mom parents are from qualle (i dont think i spelled that rite) but my mom was born and raised in lagos but u now bak in the day  they say were ur parents are from thats were u from but my mom cosiders herself a qualle person and lagos child but my mom married my dad and his from ondo state but from wat i now its not realy a big deal to my mom family i guess they saw it as hes nigerian and yoruba its fine wit me  but i luv my yoruba ppl men down with them for lif cuz nigerians dont run we run shit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by Kajiang02(m): 6:03pm On Oct 09, 2006
GNature:

Great example of inter-tribal success story. Thanks for sharing it with us

i 2nd dis too, a very gr8t xample on intertribal relatnship
if i go to india n find luv dere,definitely i'll bring d gal home,say less bout a gal 4rm diffrent trybe in naija.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by Sista(f): 7:22pm On Oct 09, 2006
@Somegirl

I mentioned my command of English exactly ONCE to you. "To keep trying" means that you persist in something, that you try to do it over and over again.

In response to this, read your quotes below.

Sista, cool down, you've misinterpreted me.

Maybe, I don't express myself well because English is not my language. However, even if I make mistakes concerning grammar and/or vocabulary, it does not change what I WANT to say.

Then how would there be any mistakes in what you say? Sounds contradicting.

Sista, that is your interpretation but it is wrong.

You mentioned your English skills exactly once, but all the other excuses were centered around your so called bad English skills. I know you know what it means to say something a million times but each time to say it different, sweet heart, that is what you were doing in the above quotes. You tried to convince me that because of your English skills so called not being that good, I may have misinterpreted you. Each time you attempted to make me think that, you still never bothered to supply an explanation for why you brought up those fights? If my interpretation was wrong, all I am saying is, help me understand what your reason was for bringing up those fights between the Hausa, Igbo and the Yoruba. You keep evading that. You don't seem to want to begin to touch that. What are you afraid of?

Although you seemed to be civil in the Albino discussion, the only problem I am having with you at this point was how you saw it fit to bring up the fights between the Hausa, Igbo and the Yoruba, during a time when I was talking to a sister about an expereince she and I share concerning white people. 

You are right, what I should have said was, you kept trying to convince me that my interpretation of what you said was wrong do to your English skills. Yet and still, you never supplied an explanation for why you brought up the fights between the Yoruba, Igbo and the Hausa after I had mentioned the terrible things that white people do to people of color. I can only conclude that you were being tit for tat, not very becoming of a White person who is all for the unification of black people. My conclusion is due to your not providing a sensible explanation outside the fact that you think I misunderstood you because of your English. I say Baloney.

I mentioned my command of English exactly ONCE to you. "To keep trying" means that you persist in something, that you try to do it over and over again. "Trying to o convince" means that you try to persuade somebody, to make somebody agree with you. All I did was to make a suggestion as to why we might misunderstand each other.

As you can see in the above quotes, you made three suggestions which all eluded the same thing over and over. I misunderstood you because of your so called weak English skills. Again, Baloney

Sista, because of your habit to twist things around,

You don't even know me, you just encountered me in the Albino topic. You are just piggy backing off of what other people say about me in Nairaland. It is helpful that those other people you piggy back from and hind behind happen to be black.

After all, if my own people have a problem with me, and the white girl feels the same way, the issue concerning me is not about the fact that I present a plausible case against you. The issue is now, I (Sista) must have a problem. Clearly, reversed discrimination coming from people who accuse me of being a racist. When, all I am really doing is the same thing you and other black people in nairaland are doing to me, Discriminating.

Hmm, very Interesting.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by Sista(f): 7:25pm On Oct 09, 2006
@laudate

Oh, I agree! Love alone cannot withstand any pressure in marriage. And it doesn't matter if the couple are from the same ethnic background or if they grew up living on the same street. Tolerance, understanding, open communication, frank and full disclosure as well as patience, compassion, respect etc. are vital. It doesn't matter if the couple comes from the same district or if they are from different continents. Both parties need to have the same mind, for their relationship to work.

Yes, they do have to have the same mind but how does one really know that two people have the same mind? In this case, isn't only time will tell?
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by Radiant(f): 7:30pm On Oct 09, 2006
GNature I'm back  grin

Ummm,the fact of the whole matter is, If you know who God made you to be, whether u're black, green, white, red or brown the world will respect you. Look at Condolezza Rice, Opray Winfrey, Tiger woods, Japanese and their motor industries, Bill Gates etc. . .These are exceptional people regardless of their "color".

What ever you call yourself, that's what the world will call you and the way you carry yourself is the way the world will carry you.

@Sista, abeg enough of the anti-white campaign. The way black people can't stand their fellow blacks is also the same way white people can't stand some of their fellow whites.Abi you never knew this one wink

Peace to the World and my love to you all  grin
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by Sista(f): 7:35pm On Oct 09, 2006
@OMOGE

But my mom parents are from qualle (i don't think i spelled that rite) but my mom was born and raised in lagos but u now bak in the day  they say were your parents are from thats were u from but my mom cosiders herself a qualle person and lagos child but my mom married my dad and his from ondo state

No disrepsect but, it sounds like your parents are a little hypocritical. It looks like your mother herself is mixed up with a few tribes her self so how come she would not be open to a AA aka Akata? I understand them not wanting you to marry an Oigbo but not the African American. Your dad is not from the same place as your mother but they are both black people born in the same continent, that's cool.

I can see though that your parents views must have something to do with their ignorants of African American people, being that they refer to them as Akata. Wild cat, or African with a little sugar. That's pretty discrminating against a people who share the same ancestors as you.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by Sista(f): 7:44pm On Oct 09, 2006
@Laudate

Thanks for sharing those marriages, that was really interesting.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by sweetlove(m): 7:46pm On Oct 09, 2006
¿Hola Sista, cómo estás hoy? Espero que seas el hacer grande y tener diversión. Estoy siguiendo siempre tu ideal, soy tú un Teecher, te causo sano como uno.

@sista Hello wonderful woman,I Hope you are fine and In Good condition of Health,I Wish you Luck and Blessing from above.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by Sista(f): 7:49pm On Oct 09, 2006
@Sweetlove

Sweetlove, you know that I am a sucker for charm?

Is this why you say all these wonderful things to me?
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by Sista(f): 7:59pm On Oct 09, 2006
@Radiant

@Sista, abeg enough of the anti-white campaign. The way black people can't stand their fellow blacks is also the same way white people can't stand some of their fellow whites.Abi you never knew this one

Anti white? You mean Pro Black?

And yes, I did know this but with white people, it is hard to tell the good ones, that is why you have to treat them in a very discerning way.

Like Somegirl. I was talking to another sister about what white people do to people of color and I was not talking to somegirl. Somegirl saw what I was telling the sister about white people and out of no where Somegirl asked me this below.

Sista, have you ever talked with Igbo people about other Nigerian "tribes"? Ask them what the Hausa and Yoruba have done to them and you might be suprised! 

Now you tell me what I am supposed to think about her attempting to inform me of what I already knew about my people? What was she trying to convey?

In my opinion, she was trying to refocus me away from the evil white people committed and still commit on people of color while redirecting my attention to thinking that my own people are my enemy more so than white people. And, she was being tit for tat. Not very becoming of a white person who supports the unification of black people.

If my observation was incorrect, than you share with me what  you think she was trying to do?

You can go back to the first page of this topic and read the discussion between Somegirl and I, and you will see that I am not making this up.

Then again Radiant, if you are not a black woman or man and or not an objective white person, you will not be able to admit or even see below the surface what I see.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by sweetlove(m): 8:03pm On Oct 09, 2006
Sista:

@Sweetlove

Sweetlove, you know that I am a sucker for charm?

Is this why you say all these wonderful things to me?

Hi wonderful woman, @sista,You heal My wounds and Made me realize My past Mistake In a Relationship which i once thought I was perfect.So I Think I Have found a Real friend In you.

You are special, because you're someone's friend. You've touched someone's life
in a unique way like no one else could. You've been there when someone needed you,
when someone felt sad and all alone. You've given comfort. You've made someone smile.
You've been there to celebrate the good times,
and to lend an ear when someone needed you to listen.

You are special, because you're my friend, and I appreciate You,I want you to be My Friend, will you? I am Given you a Free ticket to My world,Will you have a Trip?
Waiting to hear from you.

Sorry If My message to you Hurts you,You are Truly In My Heart.
I Like The way you are responding to matters and insues in nairaland.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by Radiant(f): 8:35pm On Oct 09, 2006
@sista Believe me, you don't see much. If whites should tell you their own story, you'll see better.

I understand what you're trying to fight, but the black community don't suffer only this problem. It's a problem the world including whites, Asians and Arabs face too.

We cannot all stand each other 'cause we are different people!!!
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by superman(m): 8:44pm On Oct 09, 2006
u must be joking my friend! u see the problem we got here they think they know but they simply know absolutely nothing ! nothing wat so ever ! god help us

martin luter king wake up now course u be dead ass ! carry on de talk yeye yeye na waa ooo! jsut to pls ur uncle tom ! wakey wakey! wake up and smell the coffe black ppl! lets stop fooling around ! time has move on i think
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by Radiant(f): 9:14pm On Oct 09, 2006
Sista:

@Radiant
Anti white? You mean Pro Black?

And yes, I did know this but with white people, it is hard to tell the good ones, that is why you have to treat them in a very discerning way.
I just saw the above reply.

Pro black Excuse meeeeeee! You have to know the 'white' history and 'black' history before calling yourself a Pro black. What do you know for you to run such a lame campaign?

Did you say it's hard to tell the good ones Oh lawd! I'm very disappointed at this point. I thought you had solid points but was very wrong.
Treat them in a discerning way MY God!!! To be honest with you, whites treat black people the way they do because of people like you.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by Sista(f): 9:55pm On Oct 09, 2006
@Radiant

To be honest with you, whites treat black people the way they do because of people like you.

White people would never had a chance to treat me or my people any kind of way if they did not force their way into the continent of Africa.

You sound so stupid, to subjest such a thing.

White people are justified in how they have killed, colonized, stole and enslaved is basically what you you just admitted to.

I knew you were that type of person, that is why I distinguished the type you may be when I asked you to explain to me what Somegirl was trying to do.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by Sista(f): 9:58pm On Oct 09, 2006
@Sweetlove

Hi wonderful woman, @sista,You heal My wounds and Made me realize My past Mistake In a Relationship which i once thought I was perfect.So I Think I Have found a Real friend In you.

It is always a pleasure to hear your wondeful words of poetry. i know you are trying to get to me with your poetry.

I must say, it's working wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Olori Wuraola And Partners Assist Victims Of Mudslide With Shelter In Freetown / Meet Felix A. Mujakperuo: A Rtd Major General Who Is Now A First Class King / Photos From The 2015 Sango Festival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.