Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,267 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:45 AM

The Earth Is Not 6000 Years Old. - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Earth Is Not 6000 Years Old. (12441 Views)

Earth-billion Years, Man In God's Image-6000 Years / You Say The Earth Is 6000 Years Old, Yet You Enjoy Petroleum Products / Is The Earth About 6000 Years Old According To The Bible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Earth Is Not 6000 Years Old. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:05pm On Sep 03, 2015
Freksy:

There is nowhere in the bible where the age of the earth is mentioned.

Adam was above 900 years before he died . So following the posterity of Adam through to our present time , it was deduced that the "earth is six thousand years old " . ..

1 Like

Re: The Earth Is Not 6000 Years Old. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:22pm On Sep 03, 2015
Chizzled06:

Lol I struggle when I try to take someone who quotes biblical verses in a rational discussion seriously.
It's funny how Christians choose to ignore the vile, woman raping, child killing, mysogystic, apologetic portrayals of your God in your holy book.

I see a contradiction , but do you see it ?

Where exactly in the bible are all these claims you made written ?

Really, you know about the lost scrolls and discrepancies in the early christian versions of biblical books? That's a good start. If you study biblical and christian history from a neutral perspective, I assure you you'll find it as ridiculous as the 100,000 other world religions.

There are close to 5, 000 Religions in the world . Did you create the other 95,000 ?

That percentage of believers only applies to America, and that figure is rapidly decreasing. Less than half of German population, like their Western European counterparts currently believe there's a God. Those figures are incredibly crunched down when you count those that believe the bible is truly God's written message to mankind.

You are really good at exaggerating . LOL

Even more revealing, more than 90% of scientists (the smartest people on earth) are agnostic or atheist. Again, when you break free from indoctrination and start to think for yourself, there's always only one reasonable conclusion when you analyze any of the world's current religions.

An assertion - no proof , just an assumption . Apparently you said this to give the irreligious people the 'we are smarter than Christians' impression .

Check out the top 20 richest people and 20 people with the highest IQs in the world . How many are religious and how many are not ( have fun with that )

Your profound argument still remains: "Since science hasn't (YET) found an explanation for THIS and THIS, then they are WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING."
If humans never left the "I can't explain it, then God did it" phase of our existence, it's scary to think how far behind we'd still be in terms of general standards of living

Hosea 4:6

"My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge ... ":

Proverbs 4:7

7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.

These verses just killed off whatever insinuations you made

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Earth Is Not 6000 Years Old. by Freksy(m): 10:26pm On Sep 03, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

Adam was above 900 years before he died . So following the posterity of Adam through to our present time , it was deduced that the "earth is six thousand years old " . ..

If you happen to be the first tenant in an apartment, and you have been there for six years, would that necessarily mean the building is six years old?

For how long was the earth submerged in water, do you know? Where was Adam then?

The question is: how old is the material earth? Note, the question is not about the age of Adam, but of the material earth.

1 Like

Re: The Earth Is Not 6000 Years Old. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:30pm On Sep 03, 2015
Freksy:

If you happen to be the first tenant in an apartment, and you have been there for six years, would that necessarily mean the building is six years old?

For how long was the earth submerged in water, do you know? Where was Adam then?

The question is: how old is the material earth? Note, the question is not about the age of Adam, but of the material earth.

No No ... Im not saying the earth is six thousand years old , I just explained how "they" arrived at that age for the earth . Many Christians believe the earth was created and then its inhabitants during the seven days of creation . You dig ?

1 Like

Re: The Earth Is Not 6000 Years Old. by Freksy(m): 10:43pm On Sep 03, 2015
Chizzled06:

Faith, you say? Based on other people's EVIDENCE? I agree and I'll explain why this isn't blind 'faith'.

You see, science works because with sufficient funding for research, you can test ANYTHING you wish to verify or disprove. Something you might not know is that once a Scientific Theory is disproven by ONE SINGLE EXPERIMENT, it is SCRAPPED. That's millions of scientists worldwide researching, making observations and calculations daily, testing and applying thousands of laws and theories. You know, as opposed to one man writing some verses, another claiming these words are inspired by a supreme being, then forcing everyone to take it as law. No evidence, no proof, Nothing.

Not studying Biology doesn't mean I have no knowledge of Darwin's great contribution to science. We're talking of a theory accepted by Biologists, Archeologist, Paleontologists. Strengthened by every new fossil discovery and DNA analysis, even though the technology wasn't close to being discovered when he made his work public.

If you want 'proof of evolution', you might want to understand it first. Read a book

Proof of what evolution? Of how man evolved from non living matter?

No one doubts there is a thing called "evolution". Even gadgets are evolving!

Nothing requires more faith than the belief in evolution of life from non living matter

2 Likes

Re: The Earth Is Not 6000 Years Old. by Freksy(m): 11:07pm On Sep 03, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

No No ... Im not saying the earth is six thousand years old , I just explained how "they" arrived at that age for the earth . Many Christians believe the earth was created and then its inhabitants during the seven days of creation . You dig ?

Ok, it's now understood.
Re: The Earth Is Not 6000 Years Old. by Chizzled06(m): 11:23pm On Sep 03, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

I see a contradiction , but do you see it ?

Where exactly in the bible are all these claims you made written ?

There are close to 5, 000 Religions in the world . Did you create the other 95,000 ?

You are really good at exaggerating . LOL

An assertion - no proof , just an assumption . Apparently you said this to give the irreligious people the 'we are smarter than Christians' impression .

Check out the top 20 richest people and 20 people with the highest IQs in the world . How many are religious and how many are not ( have fun with that )

Hosea 4:6

Proverbs 4:7

These verses just killed off whatever insinuations you made

Lol. And he quotes more storybook verses to prove the authencity of the storybook.
Maybe learn a little about Christian history? From Judaism to the ACTUAL origin of biblical books,the Canonization etc.
There's no point trying to have a rational conversation with someone that takes that book seriously

2 Likes

Re: The Earth Is Not 6000 Years Old. by trustman: 11:33pm On Sep 03, 2015
[size=5pt]
Chizzled06:

Faith, you say? Based on other people's EVIDENCE? I agree and I'll explain why this isn't blind 'faith'.

You see, science works because with sufficient funding for research, you can test ANYTHING you wish to verify or disprove. Something you might not know is that once a Scientific Theory is disproven by ONE SINGLE EXPERIMENT, it is SCRAPPED. That's millions of scientists worldwide researching, making observations and calculations daily, testing and applying thousands of laws and theories. You know, as opposed to one man writing some verses, another claiming these words are inspired by a supreme being, then forcing everyone to take it as law. No evidence, no proof, Nothing.

Not studying Biology doesn't mean I have no knowledge of Darwin's great contribution to science. We're talking of a theory accepted by Biologists, Archeologist, Paleontologists. Strengthened by every new fossil discovery and DNA analysis, even though the technology wasn't close to being discovered when he made his work public.

If you want 'proof of evolution', you might want to understand it first. Read a book
[/size]
You've gone the same way again - vague and ambiguous. 

I ask again: what is the proof of evolution? What 'rational evidence' made you 'accept' other peoples' statements about it? 

A simple SPECIFIC sentence will do. You don't need to summarize all the 'knowledge' you have gleaned from your numerous sources.
Re: The Earth Is Not 6000 Years Old. by Chizzled06(m): 11:51pm On Sep 03, 2015
trustman:
[size=5pt][/size]
You've gone the same way again - vague and ambiguous. 

I ask again: what is the proof of evolution? What 'rational evidence' made you 'accept' other peoples' statements about it? 

A simple SPECIFIC sentence will do. You don't need to summarize all the 'knowledge' you have gleaned from your numerous sources. 

Fossil evidence, DNA, Genetic commonalities
Re: The Earth Is Not 6000 Years Old. by trustman: 12:10am On Sep 04, 2015
Chizzled06:

Fossil evidence, DNA, Genetic commonalities
Listing Fossil evidence, DNA, Genetic commonalities doesn't prove anything. Fossil evidence can show that the thing in question existed but that a thing existed is very different from HOW it 'evolved'. 

So, let me ask you again: What 'rational evidence' in fossil documentation made you 'accept' other peoples' statements about it?
Re: The Earth Is Not 6000 Years Old. by Chizzled06(m): 12:55am On Sep 04, 2015
trustman:

Listing Fossil evidence, DNA, Genetic commonalities doesn't prove anything. Fossil evidence can show that the thing in question existed but that a thing existed is very different from HOW it 'evolved'. 

So, let me ask you again: What 'rational evidence' in fossil documentation made you 'accept' other peoples' statements about it? 

Fossil evidence; dating, analysis of location, surrounding rocks etc can tell when, how dead creatures lived. Of course it proves they evolved. The timeline of their evolutionary existence, showing slow organ mutation into different forms, shapes etc fit accurately. Natural selection and evolution is STILL being observed in LIVING organisms today. DNA and genetic analysis of creatures predicted to have evolved from common ancestors confirm this theory beyond reasonable doubt.

I'm unsure if your questions are honest or a desperate attempt at pedantry, but these things are out there if you're really curious.

1 Like

Re: The Earth Is Not 6000 Years Old. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:40am On Sep 04, 2015
Chizzled06:

Lol. And he quotes more storybook verses to prove the authencity of the storybook.
Maybe learn a little about Christian history? From Judaism to the ACTUAL origin of biblical books,the Canonization etc.
There's no point trying to have a rational conversation with someone that takes that book seriously

You are really good at prevarication and evading questions . You don't reply to really important questions . Plus you keep contradicting yourself . Why

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Earth Is Not 6000 Years Old. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:47am On Sep 04, 2015
Chizzled06:

Fossil evidence; dating, analysis of location, surrounding rocks etc can tell when, how dead creatures lived. Of course it proves they evolved. The timeline of their evolutionary existence, showing slow organ mutation into different forms, shapes etc fit accurately. Natural selection and evolution is STILL being observed in LIVING organisms today. DNA and genetic analysis of creatures predicted to have evolved from common ancestors confirm this theory beyond reasonable doubt.

No no ! This is not proof of evolution , it just proved that I was right on that thread . The DNA and genetic composition of those animals (fossils) were used as some sort of blueprint in the creation of the new inhabitants of earth during its restoration . That could be what He did but its been mistaken for an evidence of evolution . Oh no ! shocked

Natural selection does not link to evolution . Creatures are designed by God to adapt and this characteristic has been mistaken as proof for evolution .

Atheist scientists are pushing so hard to provide "facts" for evolution thus denying creation .

1 Timothy 4:1:

Now the Spirit speaketh expressly that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits and doctrines of devils

Not literal demons /spirits per se but "facts" like this that turn people's mind away from God or give them that impression that there is no God .

Why believe in evolution when there is no proof that life came from inorganic matter , from which it evolved from ? Shaky/Sandy foundation (abiogenesis) but solid building (evolution ) .

But hear ye the word of God which I can never refrain from telling thee :

Matthew 7:24-27

24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:

27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

People like me who believe God (solid/strong foundation and building ) is the creator of life will surely have the last laugh , at the great fall of the theory of evolution .

#LoudThought

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Earth Is Not 6000 Years Old. by erusen: 6:21am On Sep 04, 2015
Chizzled06:

Lol The "Evolution is just a theory" brigade. Well, so is gravity and I don't see you jumping out of buildings.

You clearly don't understand the scientific method. Scientist's 'Theory' and your everyday use of the word are unfortunately NOT the same.

Your belief in a God is baseless and empty. Born of fear of the unknown. Nurtured by organised religion and indoctrination. Think for yourself, my friend. I hope you eventually break free.
was evolution experimented

2 Likes

Re: The Earth Is Not 6000 Years Old. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:00am On Sep 04, 2015
erusen:

... and observed .

Humans and apes evolved from a common ancestor - an extinct primate

Science is all about experimentation and observation . So did they experiment and observe this process of macro evolution taking place ? No
Is it based on faith - yes . Oh damn it that's the how the atheists describe Religion .
Re: The Earth Is Not 6000 Years Old. by trustman: 1:42pm On Sep 04, 2015
[size=5pt]
Chizzled06:

I'm unsure if your questions are honest or a desperate attempt at pedantry, but these things are out there if you're really curious.
[/size]
You have clearly shown the level of your knowledge of the things you speak about. 

Again, note this: fossil can be a trace of past existence but that a thing existed in the past does not amount to knowing how it came from a lower, simpler form to a more complex form or to the state the fossil shows. In other words, fossil DOES NOT prove evolution.

Telling when or how a creature lived DOES NOT amount to a PROOF of their evolution. Mutation does not necessarily amount to evolution. 

But more importantly, to the extent that you have not been able to PERSONALLY investigate these things but have had to rely on others' analysis, experimentations, deductions, etc. you are still exercising 'faith'. 

Evolution is not an exact science. I hope you know what that means. Therefore to accept is as gospel truth means you're relying not on rational or empirical system of thinking but on a non-empirical one. You're then not really different from those who believe in creationism.
Re: The Earth Is Not 6000 Years Old. by Chizzled06(m): 7:51pm On Sep 04, 2015
trustman:
[size=5pt][/size]
You have clearly shown the level of your knowledge of the things you speak about. 

Again, note this: fossil can be a trace of past existence but that a thing existed in the past does not amount to knowing how it came from a lower, simpler form to a more complex form or to the state the fossil shows. In other words, fossil DOES NOT prove evolution.

Telling when or how a creature lived DOES NOT amount to a PROOF of their evolution. Mutation does not necessarily amount to evolution. 

But more importantly, to the extent that you have not been able to PERSONALLY investigate these things but have had to rely on others' analysis, experimentations, deductions, etc. you are still exercising 'faith'. 

Evolution is not an exact science. I hope you know what that means. Therefore to accept is as gospel truth means you're relying not on rational or empirical system of thinking but on a non-empirical one. You're then not really different from those who believe in creationism. 

Now, you're just arguing for the sake of it. Either that or your lack of understanding of science is deeper than first feared.

Creationism? Really? On what basis could anyone believe in that? There's no single rational evidence or proof to support that claim.

The day you choose to start thinking rationally, explore the science of paleontology.

2 Likes

Re: The Earth Is Not 6000 Years Old. by Chizzled06(m): 7:54pm On Sep 04, 2015
erusen:

Good question. Yes, it has been, is still being and will continue to be experimented long after you're gone

1 Like

Re: The Earth Is Not 6000 Years Old. by Chizzled06(m): 7:59pm On Sep 04, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

No no ! This is not proof of evolution , it just proved that I was right on that thread . The DNA and genetic composition of those animals (fossils) were used as some sort of blueprint in the creation of the new inhabitants of earth during its restoration . That could be what He did but its been mistaken for an evidence of evolution . Oh no ! shocked

Natural selection does not link to evolution . Creatures are designed by God to adapt and this characteristic has been mistaken as proof for evolution .

Atheist scientists are pushing so hard to provide "facts" for evolution thus denying creation .

1 Timothy 4:1:

Not literal demons /spirits per se but "facts" like this that turn people's mind away from God or give them that impression that there is no God .

Why believe in evolution when there is no proof that life came from inorganic matter , from which it evolved from ? Shaky/Sandy foundation (abiogenesis) but solid building (evolution ) .

But hear ye the word of God which I can never refrain from telling thee :

Matthew 7:24-27

People like me who believe God (solid/strong foundation and building ) is the creator of life will surely have the last laugh , at the great fall of the theory of evolution .

#LoudThought

There's no point discussing science with you, so let's start with the appropriate level of ignorance.

The bible, the word of God you say? Have ever wondered where this book came from?

1 Like

Re: The Earth Is Not 6000 Years Old. by erusen: 8:02pm On Sep 04, 2015
Chizzled06:

Good question. Yes, it has been, is still being and will continue to be experimented long after you're gone
what was the experiment it sounds like a story to me.long after am gone man I can't buy that crap see I love science more than this country and I know the basics it is observation and experiment neither I have seen in this theory
Re: The Earth Is Not 6000 Years Old. by Chizzled06(m): 8:17pm On Sep 04, 2015
erusen:
what was the experiment it sounds like a story to me.long after am gone man I can't buy that crap see I love science more than this country and I know the basics it is observation and experiment neither I have seen in this theory

1. I'm struggling with your grammar
2. This sounds like a classic case of bashing a theory you don't understand.

Let's try a different method; Understand the theory first, if you think it's wrong afterwards, explain why in details. If your argument can hold any water, I promise you worldwide fame.

1 Like

Re: The Earth Is Not 6000 Years Old. by erusen: 8:24pm On Sep 04, 2015
Chizzled06:

1. I'm struggling with your grammar
2. This sounds like a classic case of bashing a theory you don't understand.

Let's try a different method; Understand the theory first, if you think it's wrong afterwards, explain why in details. If your argument can hold any water, I promise you worldwide fame.
so you see my point right , I came across something on line concerning evolution theory constantly being rebranded daily I mean its not sure
Re: The Earth Is Not 6000 Years Old. by Chizzled06(m): 8:29pm On Sep 04, 2015
erusen:
so you see my point right , I came across something on line concerning evolution theory constantly being rebranded daily I mean its not sure

No, I don't see your point. Understand the theory first

1 Like

Re: The Earth Is Not 6000 Years Old. by trustman: 10:02pm On Sep 04, 2015
Chizzled06:

Now, you're just arguing for the sake of it. Either that or your lack of understanding of science is deeper than first feared.

Creationism? Really? On what basis could anyone believe in that? There's no single rational evidence or proof to support that claim.

The day you choose to start thinking rationally, explore the science of paleontology.
Now I know you better. 

These few exchanges have been quite an eye opener!
Re: The Earth Is Not 6000 Years Old. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:20pm On Sep 04, 2015
Chizzled06:

There's no point discussing science with you, so let's start with the appropriate level of ignorance.

The bible, the word of God you say? Have ever wondered where this book came from?

Its easy to know people who read off google . ^^^ This one is a good example . LOL . Your replies show you have very little knowledge of the theory .
Re: The Earth Is Not 6000 Years Old. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:21pm On Sep 04, 2015
trustman:

Now I know you better. 

These few exchanges have been quite an eye opener!

LOL . The dude knows nothing . He evades questions and his replies are very inane and fatuous

1 Like

Re: The Earth Is Not 6000 Years Old. by Kalatium(m): 6:13pm On Nov 21, 2016
erusen:
no one knows the age of the earth science gives large numbers of years but they are not certain just absumption but one thing is clear[b] when God created the world the earth was already there full of water and void[/b]
You are contradicting yourself, how can the earth be already there when the world was created.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Did You Receive Any Christmas Gifts From Your Neighbours This Christmas Season? / What's Wrong With Sitting At The Back During A Church Service / Happy Mothering Sunday To All Catholic Mothers And Mothers Everywhere

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.