Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:00 AM

Which Other State Should Be Created In Southeast? - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Which Other State Should Be Created In Southeast? (14596 Views)

Taraba Judgement: What Is Good For Taraba State Should Be Good For Benue State / The List Of New States To Be Created In Nigeria Approved By The CONFAB / Names Of States Proposed To Be Created In Each Zone : Conditions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Other State Should Be Created In Southeast? by AndreUweh(m): 10:14pm On Jun 12, 2010
ChinenyeN:

In the mean time, what are the actual requirements for state creation?
The region demanding for a state must have minimum of 10 LGA's.
Must have a population of at least one million.
But, FG do not necessarily follow this guidelines.
Re: Which Other State Should Be Created In Southeast? by ChinenyeN(m): 10:15pm On Jun 12, 2010
Onlytruth:

I know you are bored and just need to chat grin grin grin
It is well though.  cool
Do you all just love insulting and making jest of me? Just asking. . .

Onlytruth:

@ChinenyeN

I happen to believe that we can achieve far more (like in the 50s and 60s) when we rely on our own source of revenue, than to rely on the federal government. We built big projects then, but even current Rivers state is struggling to achieve the same thing today. It shows that "Igwe bu Ike" there is power in group effort.

Federal government plays a big part in the poor development state of the Nigerian nation.
Okay then. Thank you for finally, and for the last time, making this point clear.
Re: Which Other State Should Be Created In Southeast? by ChinenyeN(m): 10:15pm On Jun 12, 2010
Andre Uweh:

Oh. So those are the federal guidelines?
Re: Which Other State Should Be Created In Southeast? by Onlytruth(m): 10:19pm On Jun 12, 2010
Andre Uweh:

Of course the FG does not! They consider other things which I won't go into here.

Suffice it to say that if you can avoid it, please do. The bible says that there are ways that might seem right to men, but the ends thereof is death.
I would say this again, if the north strikes oil in huge quantities tomorrow, it would most likely abrogate the current state system. It is designed to exploit and subjugate.
Re: Which Other State Should Be Created In Southeast? by ChinenyeN(m): 10:21pm On Jun 12, 2010
Onlytruth:

Of course the FG does not! They consider other things which I won't go into here.
Considering the nature of this topic, it would actually make more sense to go into those things, would it not?
Re: Which Other State Should Be Created In Southeast? by Onlytruth(m): 10:24pm On Jun 12, 2010
The other way to get to the truth is for Jonathan to conduct a genuine census for the first time in Nigeria. After the census, then try to readjust things. When the north sees more states in the south than the north, it would likely resist further state creations.
Re: Which Other State Should Be Created In Southeast? by KnowAll(m): 9:03am On Jun 13, 2010
[size=14pt]Agege State from Lagos would comprise all Lagos Mainland including Ikeja and Badagry and Ikorodu. Badagry OR Ikorodu should be made Capital to spread development over a vast area.

The new Lagos State which would include Lagos Island, Ikoyi, VI and Lekki Coridor to Epe including Epe Town at the moment this part of Lagos takes 75% of all capital expenses. That is why Lagos State has a loop sided development. Within Lagos one can see both opulence and the most obsene abject poverty in the whole world. The only way to address this problem is to divide the states into 2. Just because it has the smallest land mass must not be a reason why the State should be left untouched.

Lagos State has being the only State that has not being sub-divided into 2 states since its creation in 1967.

Lagos State as a smaller state would be be able to concentrate on its ambitious projects like Lekki free trade zone and Eko Atlantic City without thinking much of fixing a pot-hole in far away Agege. The Capital of the new Lagos State should be around Lekki Free trade Zone.

The office of the Mayor should also be created in Abuja, the Mayour would be elected every 4 years. The current system of ministerial appointments is a sham, proper representation should be instilled after all we have democracy now.[/size]
Re: Which Other State Should Be Created In Southeast? by rhymz(m): 9:36am On Jun 13, 2010
KnowAll:

[size=14pt]Agege State from Lagos would comprise all Lagos Mainland including Ikeja and Badagry and Ikorodu. Badagry OR Ikorodu should be made Capital to spread development over a vast area.

The new Lagos State which would include Lagos Island, Ikoyi,  VI and Lekki Coridor to Epe including Epe Town at the moment this part of Lagos takes 75% of all capital expenses. That is why Lagos State has a loop sided development. Within Lagos one can see both opulence and the most obsene abject poverty in the whole world. The only way to address this problem is to divide the states into 2. Just because it has the smallest land mass must not be a reason why the State should be left untouched.

Lagos State has being the only State that has not being sub-divided into 2 states since its creation in 1967.

Lagos State as a smaller state would be be able to concentrate on its ambitious projects like Lekki free trade zone and Eko Atlantic City without thinking much of fixing a pot-hole in far away Agege. The Capital of the new Lagos State should be around Lekki Free trade Zone.

The office of the Mayor should also be created in Abuja,  the Mayour would be elected every 4 years. The current system of ministerial appointments is a sham, proper representation should be instilled after all we have democracy now.[/size]
Agege State, homey for real, are you serious. Create another state from Lagos? What is the size of Lagos in terms of Landmass. In comparison Lagos is an overmatch when we talk about development in both the SS and SE regions, yet you talk about Development without considering the other states that need development than Lagos that already has and is stlii having it giving her pool of enormous resources. That arguement can only hold water after there is proper balancing amongst the regions, especially in the SE.
Re: Which Other State Should Be Created In Southeast? by Nobody: 9:43am On Jun 13, 2010
Onlytruth:

The other way to get to the truth is for Jonathan to conduct a genuine census for the first time in Nigeria. After the census, then try to readjust things. When the north sees more states in the south than the north, it would likely resist further state creations.

[color=#000099][/color]i dont think there can be any geninue census in nigeria for now.the census thing has always been done to favour the north for unknown reasons.i see no reason why kano state can be adjudged to be populous than lagos when the whole know that the north generally only have land mass with scattered population.we can only hope that things get better only if goodluck takes the initiative without any political implications.
Re: Which Other State Should Be Created In Southeast? by rhymz(m): 12:43pm On Jun 13, 2010
This writer aptly describes my thoughts on this issue.
Here is the excerpt:
Since the amalgamation of the
Southern and Northern
protectorates in 1914 and the
subsequent creation of states in
Nigeria, the issue of state creation
has always being a tenuous and
delicate matter. It is gratifying to
know that the present National
Assembly has listed the creation of
more states especially as it has to
do with the South East as part of
items in the much anticipated
constitutional review,
Since the issue of an additional
state came up, there have been, as
usual, several groups from the
South East representing one
interest or the other clamouring for
the proposed additional state to
come their way. There is nothing
wrong with these agitations only
that most of them stem from
parochial and narrow perspectives
with warped historical facts,
Before I proceed further into the
heart of the matter, I wish to make
it clear that my interest in the
quest for an additional state for the
South East region is premised on
my status as an impartial Nigerian
who has always argued for equity,
balance and justice for all regions
and sectors of the country. When the National Political Reform
Conference of former President
Olusegun Obasanjo came to an
agreement on the need for an
additional state for the South East
so as to bring it at parity with other
zones of the country, it was unique
in many respects particularly when
seen from the perspective that the
issue of another state for the South
East, which has five states against
six for the other regions, has
always being relegated to the
periphery of national discourse.
Therefore, when delegates to the
conference in near-unanimous
acclaim agreed to a parity status
via another state for the Ibo-
speaking South East, it was a
significant step that was not missed
on political watchers that the full
integration of a marginalized
people was on the decline almost
35 years after the civil war,
Immediately the issue of an
additional state was muted, diverse
groups took to the trenches to
canvass arguments as to why the
new proposed state should come
their way. Arguments such as intra-
cultural affinity (meaning: slight
cultural hues within the Ibo race),
contiguity and proximity are now
being bandied by some promoters
of state creation in the South East
as the rationale why ‘their own
narrow area’ should be considered
against the general good of all
Igbo,
For historical purposes, it should be
remembered that the
amalgamation of the Southern and
Northern Protectorates was done
for colonial expediency and the
‘natives’ as the British considered
the conquered peoples of the then
regions had no say in the matter. .
After the amalgamation, the
second attempt at ‘state creation’
was done on the over-taken
theory of a nation on a tripod-Igbo,
Yoruba and Hausa as the major
ethnic groups in the country,
therefore the country should be
politically and administratively split
along that line in the historical
myopia of the British that the
minorities of the Delta, West and
North would find a place in the new
arrangement. Subsequent attempts
at ‘state creation’ all had one
reason, politically correct or
otherwise, as the driving force.
While these attempts were hailed
in many quarters, the South East
by some unexplained happenings
always found itself ‘locked out’ on
the equity and justice scale of state
creation. .
Today, since the issue of an
additional state came up, no less
than five (5) groups- Adada
(Enugu), Orashi (Anambra/Rivers),
Aba (Abia), Njaba (Imo/Anambra)
and Igboezuo (a small of each of
the existing states in the South
East) State Creation Movements
have emerged in the South East
canvassing why they are all best
suited to have the proposed state.
What are their arguments? .
The Adada group in an unheard
and laughable proposition argues
that they are culturally distinct
from the rest of the Igbo.
Unbelievable, you say! It is
common knowledge that the Igbo
share common cultural affinity
while not taking away the fact that
there might be linguistic variations
but they are the closest to
‘wholesomeness’ in all of Nigeria.
Therefore, for the so-called Adada
proponents to argue on the basis of
‘distinct cultural affinity’ is to
entirely miss the point,
For the Orashi advocates it is the
desire to be with their kith and kin
in Rivers and Anambra states that
is driving them to demand for a
state. The question that needs to
be asked of them- which is greater-
to ‘be with their kith and kin’ whom
they have been inter-marrying for
ages or to have a state that is of
greater importance to the entire
Igbo race? The answer no doubt is
obvious,
The argument of the proponents of
Aba and Njaba states are not too
different only that both are
claiming large population in their
present states, therefore the need
for them to be ‘on their own’ as if
that were enough criteria in itself
for state creation,
The most plausible and convincing
argument I have seen to date is
the agitation for Igboezuo state.
The proponents have
demonstrated correctness of
perspective and have placed the
overall interest of the Igbo nation
first before any other mundane
consideration. What is their
argument? To them, Igboezuo is
like a union of the five Eastern
States; the new heartbeat of the
Igbo nation,
They are proposing that some
existing local governments from
the five states of the region be
excised to form the new state.
From Anambra state, Orumba
North and South Local
Governments; Enugu will relinquish
Awgu and Aninri, while Ebonyi will
give up Ivo and Ohaozara Local
Governments. Abia will cede
Isuikwuato and Umunneochi with
Imo producing the bulk of the local
governments by giving up Okigwe,
Onuimo, Ideato North and South,
Isiala Mbano and Ehime Mbano
local governments. With these, the
new state will be ready to take off
with 15 local government areas
with headquarters at Okigwe,
The new state according to its
promoters has in abundance
agricultural potentials like rice, root
crops, oil palm, cashew, rubber,
cocoa as well as rich minerals
deposits of kaolin, lead, tin,
bentonite and limestone to ensure
its viability and sustenance. .
Besides the fact that the new
Igboezuo State like Abuja at its
founding will be in a near-virgin
territory, it will give each and
every Igbo man a new capital city
devoid of the filth and decay that
any of the other proposed states
represents. There is no gainsaying
that the Igbo stands at the
threshold of history and should for
once show unity of purpose rather
than embark on separate and
confused agitations that have the
tendency to submerge the demand
for equity under some other
purpose that is at variance with the
wishes and aspirations of the
peoples of the South East.
Any failure to find a common
platform will no doubt send the
signal to other groups in the
country that have shown some
understanding with the Igbo cause
for an additional state to withdraw
their support. And the outcome of
such withdrawal is predictable. .
Re: Which Other State Should Be Created In Southeast? by AndreUweh(m): 3:10pm On Jun 13, 2010
@RHYMZ: the writer got it all wrong. There is no need to create a join-join state. All the so called areas have not accepted ithis arrangement. For a state to be created the people of that area must consent to be involved in the new area. In this case, they have not consented to it. The people of Okigwe zone are historically and culturally one and the new state if created will cut them into two. I t is wrong.
Within Njaba, there is contiguity, in my opinion is the best choice for the south east. There may be more but it is a top priority.
The people of Afikpo and Ohaozara as I read in a local newspaper have voiced their opinion on the issue and are not interested in all this 'shifting cultivation'. At first Imo state, later Abia and now Ebonyi. No more, they said.
Re: Which Other State Should Be Created In Southeast? by ChinenyeN(m): 3:48pm On Jun 13, 2010
I tire of you pan-Igbo-ists. . Anyway, Igboezuo can have its state, seeing as to how they won't be taking any Ngwa LGAs. So it isn't my problem. We are, and will still be demanding Aba state.
Re: Which Other State Should Be Created In Southeast? by AndreUweh(m): 3:56pm On Jun 13, 2010
ChinenyeN:

I tire of you pan-Igbo-ists. . Anyway, Igboezuo can have its state, seeing as to how they won't be taking any Ngwa LGAs. So it isn't my problem. We are, and will still be demanding Aba state.
I am not opossed to Ngwa state creation. They do deserve a state. My stand is, if and if ONLY one state is to be created from the existing south east geo-political zone. It should be Njaba. I am have outlined my reasons earlier on. I not a native of Njaba state to be. But I stand on fairness.
Re: Which Other State Should Be Created In Southeast? by ChinenyeN(m): 4:03pm On Jun 13, 2010
I have no problem with you Andre. I understand where you're coming from and I find it agreeable.
Re: Which Other State Should Be Created In Southeast? by naijaking1: 4:48pm On Jun 13, 2010
Andre Uweh:

@RHYMZ: the writer got it all wrong. There is no need to create a join-join state. All the so called areas have not accepted ithis arrangement. For a state to be created the people of that area must consent to be involved in the new area. In this case, they have not consented to it. The people of Okigwe zone are historically and culturally one and the new state if created will cut them into two. I t is wrong.
Within Njaba, there is contiguity, in my opinion is the best choice for the south east. There may be more but it is a top priority.
The people of Afikpo and Ohaozara as I read in a local newspaper have voiced their opinion on the issue and are not interested in all this 'shifting cultivation'. At first Imo state, later Abia and now Ebonyi. No more, they said.

Your support for Njaba state is respected, why don't you respect other people's support for Igboezue or Etiti state. Your allegation of lack support by potential component members is insincere and smacks of cheap political blackmail. I remember you saying that you're from the area, nothing could be further from the truth. If you challange my position tell me where you're realy from, and I will ask you a question only some from the area would know.
Re: Which Other State Should Be Created In Southeast? by AndreUweh(m): 5:13pm On Jun 13, 2010
naijaking1:

Your support for Njaba state is respected, why don't you respect other people's support for Igboezue or Etiti state. Your allegation of lack support by potential component members is insincere and smacks of cheap political blackmail. I remember you saying that you're from the area, nothing could be further from the truth. If you challange my position tell me where you're realy from, and I will ask you a question only some from the area would know.

I am from Isinweke and when the idea of this disjointed Etiti state was conceived, Isinweke was part of it. One of the proponents of this state is my friend and from the same Isinweke as me-Nze Ozichukwu. He sold this idea to me couple of years ago when he visited London but I objected. I gave him reasons and facts to support my argument. Even the natives of the area and their Ndiezes have not consented to the idea. Their wishes has to be respected.
Re: Which Other State Should Be Created In Southeast? by naijaking1: 5:27pm On Jun 13, 2010
Isinweke is not a town I know to be around the area. You have to be a little bit more specific about the town, local govt, and current state.
If the locals and ndiezes of Isinweke object to creation of the state, does that mean that a majority of the people are against it?
Re: Which Other State Should Be Created In Southeast? by AndreUweh(m): 5:43pm On Jun 13, 2010
naijaking1:

Isinweke is not a town I know to be around the area. You have to be a little bit more specific about the town, local govt, and current state.
If the locals and ndiezes of Isinweke object to creation of the state, does that mean that a majority of the people are against it?
Isinweke is the headquaters of Ihitte/Uboma LGA; Okigwe south constituency; Okigwe Zone; Imo state.
Naijaking1, I can't believe am educating you, am sure you already know that.
Re: Which Other State Should Be Created In Southeast? by ChinenyeN(m): 5:58pm On Jun 13, 2010
This thing between Andre and Naijaking reminds me of when they decided to make Abia from Imo with Bende and Aba divisions. Bende division welcomed the idea, but we Abia division vehemently opposed it. We said that we won't leave Imo, unless they give us Aba state, but they still forced us into Abia; a state we never agreed to, from the start and a state we still don't agree to 'til date. . .

A pattern of blatant neglect.
Re: Which Other State Should Be Created In Southeast? by naijaking1: 5:59pm On Jun 13, 2010
Andre Uweh:

Isinweke is the headquaters of Ihitte/Uboma LGA; Okigwe south constituency; Okigwe Zone; Imo state.
Naijaking1, I can't believe am educating you, am sure you already know that.

Uboma, Obowo, Ihitte, and Nsu used to be in the old Etiti LGA, near Mbano LGA. I know the area like the back of my hand, from Eke-egwu to Amaraku. Onicha Uboma should have been the HQ of any local govt. in the area. Turning Madonna high school into a university campus was bad enough, but taking the HQ away was devastating.
Re: Which Other State Should Be Created In Southeast? by AndreUweh(m): 6:22pm On Jun 13, 2010
naijaking1:

Uboma, Obowo, Ihitte, and Nsu used to be in the old Etiti LGA, near Mbano LGA. I know the area like the back of my hand, from Eke-egwu to Amaraku. Onicha Uboma should have been the HQ of any local govt. in the area. Turning Madonna high school into a university campus was bad enough, but taking the HQ away was devastating.
The above mentioned places are people of Okigwe descent and majority are not interested in the Igboezue state. I have attended several meetings of Okigwe zoNE peoples' both home and abroad and I know their stakes.
Turning Madonna high school into a university campus was not a bad idea. The site has got land for expantion and the natives around their have approved that. A lot of universities started from high schools and either relocated or expanded.
The headquarter remains at Isinweke and has to be taken elsewhere. Nsu left Etiti to join Mbano since the fifties. What was left as Etiti was further split into two in 1989. The southern Etiti has its headwuaters in Otoko and the name of the LGA is called Obowu. While the northern part is called Ihitte/Uboma and still retain the old headquaters at Isinweke-Etiti. My family house is just 5 minutes drive from there. The late Dee Sam's first wife is my aunty. With this, probably, you might know who is posting here from the UK.
Re: Which Other State Should Be Created In Southeast? by naijaking1: 7:17pm On Jun 13, 2010
Andre Uweh:

The above mentioned places are people of Okigwe descent and majority are not interested in the Igboezue state. I have attended several meetings of Okigwe zoNE peoples' both home and abroad and I know their stakes.
Turning Madonna high school into a university campus was not a bad idea. The site has got land for expantion and the natives around their have approved that. A lot of universities started from high schools and either relocated or expanded.
The headquarter remains at Isinweke and has to be taken elsewhere. Nsu left Etiti to join Mbano since the fifties. What was left as Etiti was further split into two in 1989. The southern Etiti has its headwuaters in Otoko and the name of the LGA is called Obowu. While the northern part is called Ihitte/Uboma and still retain the old headquaters at Isinweke-Etiti. My family house is just 5 minutes drive from there. The late Dee Sam's first wife is my aunty. With this, probably, you might know who is posting here from the UK.
Aminyi-nta, ogu-o!
You're from the area that confuses it's alignment with Okigwe with that of Umuahia, it wouldn't surprise me if many people frm this area don't want to be associated with a proposed state with okigwe as capital.
While the view of your people is rspected, lets understand that even if they become part of the new state, they would be on fringe, because majority of the new state's population will come from the more northern part of Imo and Abia states like Isiochi, Lokpa as described above.
Re: Which Other State Should Be Created In Southeast? by vicenzo(m): 7:32pm On Nov 05, 2010
Re: Which Other State Should Be Created In Southeast? by naijaking1: 12:53am On Nov 06, 2010
@vicenzo
Thanks for your nice and balanced input. I'm from Ugwueme which is historically related to Isuochi in Umunneochi as they call it now. I said in an earlier post that I can touch all the 5 SE states with a bicycle in one day and before dinner time too!

My town is technically in Awgu(Enugu), but we share farm land with Achara and Umuaku people of Isuochi(Abia), we also share farm lands with Lokpa people of Imo state. We ride to Owerre-ezukalla(Anambra) to buy palm wine and come back before the sun gets hot in the afternoon, and sell it in the local evening market.

On the other side of my town is Awgu, and it's neighboring Ishiagu and Uburu okpu-ite communities located in Ebonyi state.

So, any state contemplated to embrace these states has to be located around the areas mentioned above.
Re: Which Other State Should Be Created In Southeast? by vicenzo(m): 10:51am On Nov 06, 2010
Re: Which Other State Should Be Created In Southeast? by naijaking1: 11:17am On Nov 06, 2010
Ogbunka is another place we go for palmie, and come back within a few hours. If you're at Amuda, Isuochi, you can easily come down the hill into Lopka-nta/ Lokpa ukwu, and you're in Imo.

Don't ask me why, but that's how the maps were drawn, but it never divided the people. I know a guy with girlfriends in Lokpa, and Ishiagu who has no problems sleeping at Ishiagu(Ebonyi), coming home to Ugwueme(Enugu) in the mornig, and still meet up with his Lokpa(Imo) chick by afternoon. He could of course walk 1/2 a kilometer to Ogbuduu (shared by Isuochi and Ugwueme)stream by evening time.

There's so much cultural similarity among the people of this area, no questions. Their farming techniques are almost same, the masquarades, and even the dialects are very similar. It's the most ideal location for a new state made up of segments of all the present 5.
Re: Which Other State Should Be Created In Southeast? by jayrule(m): 12:29am On Jul 16, 2014
AloyEmeka9: Some of guys act like you eat from the anus. Why do you want more states in the south east? what will it solve for you?. Nigeria's problem is not states and boundary because it wouldn't stop people from fighting or what noot. i think Nigeria should be divided only into 6 zones/counties and each one should have it's governor general while the president at the center is just there for revenue collection and allocation of help to areas that needs support.

Bigot... I see you jare. I don't know why you are haunted by the ghost of the name "Igbo".

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Nigerian Students On Scholarship In Russia Beg For Survival / PDP Reconciliatory Meeting Ongoing (photos) / Body Of Senior Advocates Of Nigeria Backs NBA Position On Corrupt Judges

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.