Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,261 members, 7,818,887 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:24 AM

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 - Travel (167) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 (1337098 Views)

Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General Australian Student Visa Enquiries Part 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) (169) (170) ... (646) (Go Down)

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by AfterEarth(f): 6:53am On Jan 28, 2017
Hello, I want to study in UK, and I want to study Law,
but I don't know how to go about it.
Actually my mum is also making inquiries, but I want to make mine also.

1)I want to know what the fees are like in a year; so
that I can prepare for it in a short time.

2)The requirements that are needed to get started.

3)How many years will I spend studying law, because
I was told their education system ain't same with
Nigeria.

4)And more especially, how do I make a move?
Justwise
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by worry357: 7:07am On Jan 28, 2017
You can read plenty of information online.

http://www.studentworldonline.com/article/law-schools-in-the-uk-for-international-students/88/
How do I qualify as a barrister in the UK?
1. Obtain a three-year undergraduate degree in law (LLB) in the UK or an undergraduate degree in any other subject followed by a legal conversion course.
2. Take the one-year Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC).
3. Pupillage - spend one year as a pupil in barristers’ chambers or in another organisation approved by the Bar Standards Board as a Pupillage Training Organisation (PTO).
4. Obtain tenancy in a barristers’ chambers or go into practice as an employed barrister.

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools/law/courses/llm/international.aspx
Nigeria Visit 2016
In February each year Birmingham Law School visits Nigeria to speak to prospective students about the LLB and LLM programmes. Full details of the 2016 trip will be posted here when they are available.

Then use Google

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by AfterEarth(f): 7:24am On Jan 28, 2017
worry357:
You can read plenty of information online.

http://www.studentworldonline.com/article/law-schools-in-the-uk-for-international-students/88/
How do I qualify as a barrister in the UK?
1. Obtain a three-year undergraduate degree in law (LLB) in the UK or an undergraduate degree in any other subject followed by a legal conversion course.
2. Take the one-year Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC).
3. Pupillage - spend one year as a pupil in barristers’ chambers or in another organisation approved by the Bar Standards Board as a Pupillage Training Organisation (PTO).
4. Obtain tenancy in a barristers’ chambers or go into practice as an employed barrister.

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools/law/courses/llm/international.aspx
Nigeria Visit 2016
In February each year Birmingham Law School visits Nigeria to speak to prospective students about the LLB and LLM programmes. Full details of the 2016 trip will be posted here when they are available.

Then use Google
I still don't understand!
3 year undergraduate degree? Haba!
And you haven't really answered my questions if you're the one answering them.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by justwise(m): 8:15am On Jan 28, 2017
AfterEarth:

Nigeria.

Justwise

This is what you need to do:

1. visit this website and check out universities that offer law courses, requirements and school fees for foreign student http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=law

2. undergraduate courses here are 3yrs, some longer depending on your course structure..e.g internship.

3. This is pretty easy to do as you will find all the info needed in school website..e.g course requirements, fees, course duration and structure.

Admission application will be done online through the school website, you will also upload your supporting documents online too.

You can do all that in a day.

If you are successful then next step is visa application.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by waynee2baba: 1:58pm On Jan 28, 2017
AfterEarth:

Nigeria.

Justwise

The University of Bedfordshire offers Law LLB(Hons).

1. £10,500 yearly but a discount of £2000 for first year students. (Should be the cheapest, I guess) The 2017/2018 session tuition has leaped to £11,500 for International students (I wonder why they always do this lumber).

2. WASSCE/NECO results with overall average marks of C5 or above. If you don't have that requirement, you'd be subjected to do a foundation year. (Bedfordshire and Coventry are the only Universities in the UK that accept WASSCE qualification without a foundation year, I stand to be corrected).

https://www.beds.ac.uk/international/international-applications/countries/afr/nigeria

3. You'd spend 3 years.

4. Visit the varsity's website and apply via the online portal. You can visit the link below;

https://www.beds.ac.uk/international/international-applications/how-to-apply

* You won't be requiring proof of English proficiency if you have a minimum of C6 in English Language in your WASSCE result.
* Application is free.

Please, remember to scan your academic qualification(s), International passport and also prepare a personal statement. (Google samples of personal statements and vital information that should be known when writing one).

The University of Bedfordshire is ranked 601-800 in the world. (Times Higher Education) THE.

You can try Coventry University (£11,359)

Just follow @Justwise's link

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=law

And you'd be able to select from different Universities and surf their websites to get first hand information.

Most of the varsities would mandate you to apply via UCAS.

I wish you Good luck. smiley
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by AfterEarth(f): 8:11pm On Jan 28, 2017
Justwise Waynee2baba ..
This undergraduate of a thing, thats what i see their ..
Is the undergraduate also meant for Secondary school leavers?
I mean those with waec,Neco and not those that are already in university and havent graduated?
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by justwise(m): 8:26pm On Jan 28, 2017
AfterEarth:
Justwise Waynee2baba ..
I mean those with waec,Neco
and not those that are already in university and havent graduated?

Yes it's, just like in Nigeria where you go to university after secondary school.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by larion: 8:45am On Jan 29, 2017
Justwise and team,

Please help, I got a dicy situation in my hands, my wife is about 5weeks pregnant and we have applied for her tier 4 visa, received in Sheffield already.
However there is a mistake and a twist to it.

The mistake,
We did not state it anywhere in the application form that she is pregnant, I supervised it myself but didn't know how dumb I must have been to leave that out. Its ticked in her TB result that she is pregnant, infact during the TB test was when we first knew.

The twist
I have read about similar pregnant situation on this thread, some denied cos they will be close to completing their studies when the baby is due, but however, my wife is going for a PhD, its a 3 year thing so I am thinking it should fly.

I just wanna know what our chances are, I've been practically depresses since I found out its some issue on Friday, my heart is in my mouth as we await the result this week most likely.

Additional question, we submitted in Ikeja, but got response from Sheffield, the visa decision is taken in Ikeja or Sheffield, cos I am a little confused.

Thanks for your time
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by worry357: 9:37am On Jan 29, 2017
larion:
Justwise and team,

Please help, I got a dicy situation in my hands, my wife is about 5weeks pregnant

Well the first thought

Tier 4 visa is for study
How will she cope with pregnancy, giving birth, managing baby and
completing her study?

Perhaps better to defer the school than risk failing and wasting money.
Also you must budget to pay large hospital and doctors bills for birth in the UK.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by justwise(m): 10:18am On Jan 29, 2017
larion:
Justwise and team,

Please help, I got a dicy situation in my hands, my wife is about 5weeks pregnant and we have applied for her tier 4 visa, received in Sheffield already.
However there is a mistake and a twist to it.

The mistake,
We did not state it anywhere in the application form that she is pregnant, I supervised it myself but didn't know how dumb I must have been to leave that out. Its ticked in her TB result that she is pregnant, infact during the TB test was when we first knew.

The twist
I have read about similar pregnant situation on this thread, some denied cos they will be close to completing their studies when the baby is due, but however, my wife is going for a PhD, its a 3 year thing so I am thinking it should fly.

I just wanna know what our chances are, I've been practically depresses since I found out its some issue on Friday, my heart is in my mouth as we await the result this week most likely.

Additional question, we submitted in Ikeja, but got response from Sheffield, the visa decision is taken in Ikeja or Sheffield, cos I am a little confused.

Thanks for your time

Even as this seems to be a genuine mistake it could be seen as a misrepresentation if spotted by the ECO.

Lets hope that the ECO will not see it that way since this is student visa application and not visiting visa. Students are allowed free NHS treatment including child birth so looking at it from that perspective it will not be seen as a way of abusing the health care if given a visa
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by larion: 11:59am On Jan 29, 2017
worry357:

Well the first thought

Tier 4 visa is for study
How will she cope with pregnancy, giving birth, managing baby and
completing her study?

Perhaps better to defer the school than risk failing and wasting money.
Also you must budget to pay large hospital and doctors bills for birth in the UK.

Thanks bro,

But she's going for a PhD not MSC, 3 to 4 years, if she wasn't heavy now, she still will be before d end of her time. Its more of research and little study.

If she defers, she will still be returning with her baby when she resumes, remember its 3 to 4 years, and for the bills, that's surely covered, NHS or not....I might likely move in with her as a dependant.

Worry now is if we won't get bounced as per d visa.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by worry357: 12:07pm On Jan 29, 2017
larion:

Thanks bro,

But she's going for a PhD not MSC, 3 to 4 years, if she wasn't heavy now, she still will be before d end of her time. Its more of research and little study.

If she defers, she will still be returning with her baby when she resumes, remember its 3 to 4 years, and for the bills, that's surely covered, NHS or not....I might likely move in with her as a dependant.

Worry now is if we won't get bounced as per d visa.

If you are going to illegally use the NHS. (health tourism) you will surely be refused.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by larion: 12:09pm On Jan 29, 2017
justwise:

Even as this seems to be a genuine mistake it could be seen as a misrepresentation if spotted by the ECO.

Lets hope that the ECO will not see it that way since this is student visa application and not visiting visa. Students are allowed free NHS treatment including child birth so looking at it from that perspective it will not be seen as a way of abusing the health care if given a visa

Thanks for your time oga, let's hope the ECO will not see it like that, really nervous.

I like preparing for the worst case senerio, if eventually we play this penalty to "throw in", what do you suggest, we appeal or we make an immediately reapplication stating it this time.

Also the case of Sheffield and Ikeja, where is the decision made because I am kind of confused when I got the mail saying our application is received in Sheffield.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by larion: 12:19pm On Jan 29, 2017
worry357:

If you are going to illegally use the NHS. (health tourism) you will surely be refused.

Waow.... We've applied already
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by justwise(m): 12:24pm On Jan 29, 2017
larion:

Thanks for your time oga, let's hope the ECO will not see it like that, really nervous.

I like preparing for the worst case senerio, if eventually we play this penalty to "throw in", what do you suggest, we appeal or we make an immediately reapplication stating it this time.

Also the case of Sheffield and Ikeja, where is the decision made because I am kind of confused when I got the mail saying our application is received in Sheffield.

Decision is made in Sheffield, visa centres are there to collect applications and serve as visa interviews centre they don't make visa decisions.

What you will do in a case of refusal will depend on why you were refused. So just wait for the outcome first
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by larion: 2:49pm On Jan 29, 2017
justwise:
[/b]

Decision is made in Sheffield, visa centres are there to collect applications and serve as visa interviews centre they don't make visa decisions.

What you will do in a case of refusal will depend on why you were refused. So just wait for the outcome first

Thanks bro,

We'll keep d fingers crossed.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by itiswellandwell: 3:01am On Jan 30, 2017
AfterEarth:
Justwise Waynee2baba ..
I mean those with waec,Neco and not those that are already in university and havent graduated?

Goodday AfterEarth, I sent you a PM please. want to talk to you about a ebook thingy you commented about. Will appreciate your response to my PM. Thanks
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by AfterEarth(f): 6:45am On Jan 30, 2017
itiswellandwell:

Goodday AfterEarth, I sent you a PM please. want to talk to you about a ebook thingy you commented about. Will appreciate your response to my PM. Thanks
You didnt send me any PM ..
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by wazobia2: 12:42pm On Jan 30, 2017
I picked up my passport with the 1-month vignette in it this morning. I am sharing my experience to help anyone who might need it. I am going to study a PhD. at the University of Surrey.

My timeline:

-Application was made on the 10th of January (school resumed on the 9th Jan, registration closes on the 9th Feb).
-Acknowledgement from Sheffield on the 11th of January.
-Two TLS emails, confirming decision made AND passport pickup came in after 13 working days. The date on the visa vignette however was after 10 working days of the application. I never received an email from Sheffield.

My submission documentation:

- Application form
- Bank statement (Barclays Bank) showing required tuition and maintenance funds for exactly 28 days.
- Cover letter detailing when I returned to Nigeria (I was resident in the UK until November last year), why I want to study for a PhD., and a list of the documentation submitted for the application. This letter was very brief, no long story. Ideally, I should have used to actual application to cover that information (in the further information page)
- MSc. certificate and transcripts (stamped), both original.

I did not provide a TB certificate. This is because I had not been away from the UK for up to six months before making the application. However, for peace of mind, I would advice anyone in this situation to point that out in the "further information" section of the application, do not give the ECO an excuse to refuse your visa.

As for the application process itself, there will always be an interview (over some type of VOIP application, like Skype). They will ask you questions such as:
-what is your name?
-what school are you applying to?
-what is the name of your course (My answer was partially incorrect when I had my interview, I had a brain freeze and said "Renewable Energy" instead of "Environment and Sustainability Research"!)
-why do you want to study this course?
-how will this course benefit your career?

At the end of my interview, I asked the interviewer if there was anything she might want me to explain further. She explained to me that while the interview is a way to get to know a little bit about the applicant, the main thing they want to know is whether or not you have good command of English language. So I guess the important thing to do during the interview is to speak coherently, with good grammar.

Good luck, and God Bless.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by teejay21111: 5:31pm On Jan 30, 2017
wazobia2:
I picked up my passport with the 1-month vignette in it this morning. I am sharing my experience to help anyone who might need it. I am going to study a PhD. at the University of Surrey.

My timeline:

-Application was made on the 10th of January (school resumed on the 9th Jan, registration closes on the 9th Feb).
-Two TLS emails, confirming decision made AND passport pickup came in after 13 working days. The date on the visa vignette however was after 10 working days of the application. I never received an email from Sheffield.

- Application form
- Bank statement (Barclays Bank) showing required tuition and maintenance funds for exactly 28 days.
- Cover letter detailing when I returned to Nigeria (I was resident in the UK until November last year), why I want to study for a PhD., and a list of the documentation submitted for the application. This letter was very brief, no long story. Ideally, I should have used to actual application to cover that information (in the further information page)

I did not provide a TB certificate. This is because I had not been away from the UK for up to six months before making the application. However, for peace of mind, I would advice anyone in this situation to point that out in the "further information" section of the application, do not give the ECO an excuse to refuse your visa.

As for the application process itself, there will always be an interview (over some type of VOIP application, like Skype). They will ask you questions such as:
-what is your name?
-what is the name of your course (My answer was partially incorrect when I had my interview, I had a brain freeze and said "Renewable Energy" instead of "Environment and Sustainability Research"!)

At the end of my interview, I asked the interviewer if there was anything she might want me to explain further. She explained to me that while the interview is a way to get to know a little bit about the applicant, the main thing they want to know is whether or not you have good command of English language. So I guess the important thing to do during the interview is to speak coherently, with good grammar.

Congratulations
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by teekay213(m): 6:05pm On Jan 30, 2017
Pls just wise and co help.i have 12yrs old wassce certificate.is it possible to get admission into a uk university with this kind of old result?cos have been trying those school but no reply.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by waynee2baba: 6:34pm On Jan 30, 2017
teekay213:
Pls just wise and co help.i have 12yrs old wassce certificate.is it possible to get admission into a uk university with this kind of old result?cos have been trying those school but no reply.

Ahhh, If it's a BSc degree... Forget the Universities. Let's be honest, you won't get a VISA.

Try Universities in North Cyprus.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by waynee2baba: 6:35pm On Jan 30, 2017
wazobia2:

My timeline:

- Application form

-what is your name?

Congrats boss.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by itiswellandwell: 7:45pm On Jan 30, 2017
AfterEarth:
You didnt send me any PM ..

Okay. check now. Thanks.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by Ren001: 2:28pm On Jan 31, 2017
Hi justwise,I applied to study at the university of bedfordshire this march,i however want to get a hotel for some days or a week before I can secure an accommodation,as I do not wish to stay in the student accommodation,my dilemma is this,is it advisable to make a hotel reservation and put the address as my address I will be staying on my application or just put a family address who stays in London,thank you
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by justwise(m): 4:57pm On Jan 31, 2017
Ren001:
Hi justwise,I applied to study at the university of bedfordshire this march,i however want to get a hotel for some days or a week before I can secure an accommodation,as I do not wish to stay in the student accommodation,my dilemma is this,is it advisable to make a hotel reservation and put the address as my address I will be staying on my application or just put a family address who stays in London,thank you

Use the school address, the international centre address, if you have any letter they will inform you about it

1 Like

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by waynee2baba: 10:47pm On Jan 31, 2017
Ren001:

Wow. I'd be attending the University of Bedfordshire next month. My tier 4 student visa application was successful.

Well, I advise you put the Student Village Accommodation address. Filling it doesn't necessarily mean that you would be mandated to reside there. Once you get your visa, it's optional.

But you shouldn't stay miles farthest away from the University, because you would be monitored. The penalty is withdrawal of Tier 4 license sponsorship by the University. I'm sure you know what that means. It's au revoir to UK.

Using the University's accommodation address if you're below 18 MIGHT have added advantages when the Entry Clearance Officer is about to take a decision on your submitted VISA application.

For my case, I used the University's accommodation address. The interviewer asked me the exact location of the Student Accommodation and postal code... Smh

I booked a single standard room for 3 months with a shared toilet (Only 2 people) at Lea halls for £99 per week. I made that reservation via email because the Student Village's website is ambiguous and not apt.

It's a 10 minute walk to the University albeit Fitzory and Wenlock courts in Luton are a minute from the University. Rents there are £135 per week and above - - Single Deluxe, En-suite, etc

Bedford campus - - £85-£87 per week.

Before the 3 months run out, I would have settled down, acclimatised, and explored cheaper rent options to save costs.

I think that would be my best bet.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) (169) (170) ... (646)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.