Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,114 members, 7,814,914 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:11 PM

Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering (36929 Views)

How Lucrative Is Bsc Building Compare To Bsc Architecture / Facebook: Nasarawa Civil-Service Sacks Ruquayyat-Usman (pics) / FG Sacks Top Civil Servants Over Employment Racketeering — Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by asamaigho(m): 7:35pm On Sep 08, 2015
Xtopher123:

Ure completely refereeing to an Architect that can't stand for his designs,

Everything is buildable in architecture, if a civil engineer can't handle a project or alter a project because he feels it's not gonna stand then he's not worthy to be employed to work with an Architect

what are u saying?......if the architectural drawing can stand,why den do dey require d help of a civil engineer for a structural design?.....better not advertise anything less than knowledge here.

let me tell u,if any building does not have the stamp of civil engineer,such buildings cannot be built.

Do u also know dat wen a building collapses,nobody calls for d architect?,the person they call for his attention is the civil engineer, because it is with his design the building stands on and not that of the architect.

Lastly i wud have advised u to be part of the coroner inquest of the SCOAN BUILDING,then u will know the importance of Civil engineering.
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Abudu2000(m): 7:40pm On Sep 08, 2015
ba7man:
It's the architects work that's visible in the end.

You'll know a project that didn't employ an architect by how bland it will be. E.g. 3rd mainland bridge compared to Ikoyi link bridge.
*scoffs** you are smarter than dis bro,they all have their limits,a bridge designed by an architect,I say it's a great start to mass murder and killing spree, an architect 's duty is design and the engineer actualize ....look the civil engineers job goes far beyond supervision,you should know there are loadings to be derived before construction, what does an ACH know about that?
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by khrisluv(m): 7:41pm On Sep 08, 2015
I'm a civil engineer,I live in a civilize world where
Life is full of construction,and designs!
I can design any structure in the world with my perceptive power, beyond my Imagination, life is all about your creation.
Come on friends, let's make our dreams come true!! Engr_chrisluv

2 Likes

Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by adonismuller(m): 8:00pm On Sep 08, 2015
In Nigeria its no longer about do what gives you joy,but about do what can feed you and your family (legal).and more demanding.

Architecture is all about design (drawing),which even Bricklayers now do. The other day, a man said he won't pay me for pegging when a bricklayer can draw and peg the proposed building.

How many Architects are working in a construction company. We know Architects can establish themselves,but with the way the country is being dealt with,with corruption,Corren no longer care how a building is designed so far you block their pocket. hence even a mechanic can now sketch a plan and peg a building. So if you want to open office be ready to battle with the foremen and have other businesses.

Civil Engineering on the other hand can do what Architects do plus many more (its engineering for crying out loud) we do surveying, design and detailing, bridge construction,quantity surveying,BEME,sanitary,environmental engineering and many more plus we can work in an oil company (Mud plant or related places)

Remember we are no longer in the age of doing what gives you joy,we are in the age of doing what puts foods on your table and what is more demanding. Thank you!!!

1 Like

Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by asamaigho(m): 8:08pm On Sep 08, 2015
it baflles me to see peeps express their gross ignorance abt d oldest,mother of all engineering,the most versatile and complicated and yet d most interactive career of all time.

for d op i will advice u to follow ur heart,but trust me civil engineering is not for d weak,its more like d medicine of engineering,..,.,just imagine writing an exam for 9hrs.
am not trying to scare u,all am saying is,if u want to study civil eng,u have to add a little more effort or else u can spend as more as 10yrs in a school like uniben.

1 Like

Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Engrpj(m): 8:16pm On Sep 08, 2015
Maccoy1:
have prayed nd all I keep getting is architecture but my passion is civil engineering

Go for Architecture my brother....! The Market is full of Civil Engrs.. but few Architects.....! speaking from Experience....
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by vanPELaj(m): 8:18pm On Sep 08, 2015
The different between the two is one is a dreamer and d other make d dream a reality,when a man dream God make it a reality. That just a simple diff, am an civil engineer I won't call my self a god, but the two works together for success of a project and civil engineering is versatile than architecture.
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by favouryemmy: 8:41pm On Sep 08, 2015
Maccoy1:
Am really confuse, all my life have never considered any other profession other than anything engineering because I love developing things from the scratch I.e I like to construct things like cars,planes, houses with waste materials, But with recent development, I discovered that I have a calling in architecture. but then I also discover that architects only design and go home but civil engineers are involved in every bit of the construction, and that is what I love doing; getting involved in every bit of the job.

Finally with the income aspect of it in nigeria which is more likely to end more or has more job opportunities.

Op, even though I'm an architect, I will advise you to study civil engineering

1 Like

Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by irunmulowo(m): 9:00pm On Sep 08, 2015
Folw ur yansh, ohhh sorry, folw ur nose, haa sorry, folw ur 2mrw haaa again ? Folw anything jare !!!!
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by otswag(m): 9:40pm On Sep 08, 2015
willian10:

Good comments, what about between, medicine, pharmacy n computer science sad
lol. bros, only u can answer this question o
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by ba7man(m): 9:52pm On Sep 08, 2015
asamaigho:

lemme tell u,d civil engineer can change the architects drawing if such drawings are structurally unattainable,...stop saying what u dont know.

for d op, civil engineering is far more than building houses as this is the least part of civil engineering.

architecture basically is more of an artistic course,while civil engineering has to do more with structural analysis,design and construction of anything ranging from buildings,roads,bridges,dams,stadia,mast,cofferdams to aircrafts and ships.
You haven't seen extreme designs in buildings.... those buildings stretch engineers limit.
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Teeside12(m): 10:28pm On Sep 08, 2015
Both are good career choices..But I think Civil engineering is broader,fetches more cash and according 2 your preference d best fr u
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by anwo247: 10:43pm On Sep 08, 2015
They are not mutually exclusive.

Architecture is mainly about building design But Civil engineering covers road, bridges, habour, jetties, damn, buildings, steel towers, drainage, sewage system, rail tracks, sexurity Systems, defence and impact resistant structures, etc....so enormous but architecture is just building and even in the buildings, they need structural engineer, mechanical engineer, electrical engineers, and other utility engineers depending on the complexity of the building.
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Nobody: 10:53pm On Sep 08, 2015
saxywale:

all what you listed here are the work of a construction supervisor/estimator/scheduler/QS, all sub branch of civil engineering.

I doubt that you are currently practicing so you may not know the typical organizational structure on a construction site; the Architect is the head of the team of consultants. Therefore co-ordination, supervision, and facilitation are his business. This is the case unless the client engages a project management consultant. You may study some of that stuff in school just like we do building structures as a core course from 100 to 600 level studying design of beams, columns, slabs, lattices, stair cases; concrete mix design in 200; chaining and leveling in 300l; building cost estimating from complete specification schedules in 400l. All of this is outside of our jurisdiction in practice.

The things I listed are the typical things any Architect does on a large project.
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Maccoy1(m): 11:17pm On Sep 08, 2015
Guyman02:
Go for Architecture and back it up with a Masters degree in Urban and Regional Planning if you are good with Mathematics, Physics and love fine arts
I think have got what am looking for.I'll do research about the masters degree
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Kimoni: 11:27pm On Sep 08, 2015
jaybee3:

Stay blessed

Pastor Jaybee in the spirit lipsrsealed
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Maccoy1(m): 11:30pm On Sep 08, 2015
Heymus:
fellow Architect!, you need not all these points. Never stress yourself, all the interviews i have gone for, i do tell them the amount i want to be collecting. Before graduating i have designed several buildings in which i built four myself. After my Nysc my neigbours used to beef me because i will locked myself inside my appartment from morning to night with generator on. Thinking i was into yahoo yahoo. Enough said though, but back to the op, @your orientation that Architect design and go, its a CAPITAL NO!, except a learner Architect. Infact people believe Architects know better on the construction because they are the initiators and understand how design will work on ground. My advice for you is that do not study Architecture or civil eng. Because of the money involve, PLS AND PLS, IF YOU ARE NOT CREATIVE ENOUGH OR HARDWORKING do not go for Architecture. Lot of my friends left Architecture for another courses before graduating because they couldnt cope. Even the lazy ones that managed to graduated can not practice the profession. "Architecture demands your whole" i could remember i developed stomarch ulcer while in school because studio from morning to night. No time. Dont get it twisted op civil engineering is a great course too, two of my cousins and my immediate brother are civil engr. And they are doing pretty well.
thanks bro

2 Likes

Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Maccoy1(m): 11:37pm On Sep 08, 2015
ochris03:
Bros civil is far more better than archit. u can make one mill a week is u r the site engineer, all the materials are bought by u, sand n tipper dealers worship u, while some go as far as seducing u to buy wit dem. But if u want to be a billionaire u must be humble and learn everything from ur employer within 3-5yrs den go do MPM and bcome a project manger. As a project manager u control archit,QS,structural,mechnical, electrical,surveyors, and d rest. Go to any big govt site and look at deir post board u will see d project managers cums first and u can be handling like 3-5 at once and u knw wat dat means while archit can get 5 jobs but takes months to deliver all and some jus use old drawings and edit lol.Google more about wat i just said.Project managers/Civil Engrs is the best in any Construction.
thanks
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Rhea(f): 11:56pm On Sep 08, 2015
Civil engineering...unless you wan make hunger enter you well well
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by willian10: 12:55am On Sep 09, 2015
otswag:
lol. bros, only u can answer this question o
Bros na u oo, i just need suggestions
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by 400billionman: 12:58am On Sep 09, 2015
jazinogold:
wait make I phone a friend!

calling...Architect Nammadi sambo!

I am JAZINOGOLD, and I just want to make common sense!

grin

You need deliverance.
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by 400billionman: 1:04am On Sep 09, 2015
Abimloaded:
[b]Architecture! Architecture!! Architecture!!!

WHY ? Architecture is the best professional course you can ever study. Architects are the Second God because we create what we conceive !

WHICH COURSE IS LIKE UNTO THEE,
ARCHITECTURE? In school they see us
as the most hard working, simply because
ARCHITECTURE keeps us up most
nights. After school, while graduates of other professions
chase
after job vacancies, we tell Job Vacancies how much we
wish to be paid
if they want us to work for them, just because we are
ARCHITECTS. 1st
class? 2nd class? They are all brilliant. But an
ARCHITECT with a Pass
degree will keep you & your wife as staff in his office,
and on salary
- just because he is an ARCHITECTS. Even if we wish
not to work with
anybody, the jobs come right down to our door steps,
just because we
are ARCHITECTS. And while sitting at home, we make
an average of
100,000naira monthly because we are ARCHITECTS,
you think that's
simple? Then resign from your job and try sitting at
home for 4 days
if you ain't one; call me on phone when you've got
airtime. We can
even make an average of 30-40,000naira every 6days
by simply teaching
people softwares we know in ARCHITECTURE or being
involved in
architectural visualization, just because we are
ARCHITECTS. And for
simply scrambling a collection of lines on paper (which
70% of the
world's professors cannot interpret/read), we get paid;
just because
we are ARCHITECTS. We determine if your hometown/
village will find
development, just because we are ARCHITECTS. Those
skyscrapers and
famous buildings you have promised yourself to visit
before you die,
we built them, because we are ARCHITECTS. For
showing you what your
dream house will look like, we get paid even if you
eventually don't
afford to build it, simply because we are ARCHITECTS.
We do not need
CNN and the NTA Network News to tell people what we
do, every single
house we've designed does all the talking, because we are
ARCHITECTS.
The only profession where you work less (literally,
because you
dictate when to work) but earn more -
ARCHITECTURE. The only
profession that allows you to begin your day by 11am
every single day
but earn more than those who work 29hours (+5 ghost
hours) a day.

#TeamArchitecture
#TeamCreativity[/b]

Maccoy1:
Am really confuse, all my life have never considered any other profession other than anything engineering because I love developing things from the scratch I.e I like to construct things like cars,planes, houses with waste materials, But with recent development, I discovered that I have a calling in architecture. but then I also discover that architects only design and go home but civil engineers are involved in every bit of the construction, and that is what I love doing; getting involved in every bit of the job.

Finally with the income aspect of it in nigeria which is more likely to end more or has more job opportunities.

I agree with you. For the poster, architects not only design these days but they build, just like Civil Engineers. Architects handle the most tasking structures. I am an engineer(Not civil) but i build, with much love for architecture..

Architects earn 5 times on site what Civil Engineers earn. Architect on site N25k. Civil Engineer N5k. Architects are way richer. If anybody tells you its not about the money, tell them its a lie. You must be very hardworking and creative.
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by sohiemi(m): 5:10am On Sep 09, 2015
Op I think you should go and do your research on both courses very well before you stick your head into any. This is a life time decision you're about to make and if you're not sure now then you have to be. Civil engring is a wonderful course that requires a good knowledge of Maths, further Maths, physics... You'd deal with mechanics of materials, then the environmental aspects which involves a lot of cramming like waste water treatment, pollution etc. architecture is also a very good course but you have to be a bit talented if you want to cope there (drawing). None of the courses are easy so you have to be on your toes right from day one. As for the money part well in different projects (building projects) the architect is the head thus more pay while in civil projects the civil engineer is the head. In technicality a civil engineer is more exposed having learnt about structural engineering as well as environmental... You could become a HSE expert in your firm after graduating. The posssibilities are endless. Choose wisely
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Rekeb: 7:27am On Sep 09, 2015
WailingWailer00:
The truth is that they aren't even similar
Architecture is mostly about drawing and sketches
Engineering is mostly about construction and structural implementation

If you are very good in mathematics, physics then go for civil engineering
If you're average but love drawing, go for architecture

Architecture enables you start up a firm with little capital after graduation
Civil engineering enables you get a top notch job after months or years of searching

Do what gives you joy and happiness

This response is one of the most enlightened I've seen so far. Many thanks @bobmarley
Just to add a few more points.
- Civil engineers have better job opportunities as more of them are needed in projects and industries (e.g. construction, oil & gas etc) compared to architects.
- As an engineer, it is much easier to cross to other professions like banking, accounting etc because of your solid background in mathematics. This helps in periods of lull in the construction industry.
- I have a few friends who entered the university to study architecture because they were very good in the sciences and maths. They were very disappointed to discover that architecture is more about drawing and fine art than mathematics and physics.
- You can however see some very successful architects in the society, but their number is very few and far in-between.
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Adek15(m): 9:22am On Sep 09, 2015
naijainfogalery:
They are almost the same thing just that one seems to be in the office and one is strictly on the field,. But i think architecture is still embedded in civil cos if you dont understand the the drawing u cant build it

So if u like field work go for civil but if you like office things then go for architecture.

But for me i would go for civil engineering it gets your hand dirty and allows u know more about architecture than even architects
civil engineers are not limited to field alone. We design in the office too and we also do lab test in civil laboratories.
Guy/gal, civil owns architecture any day. We do what they do and even more in their own field...
Engineers!!! We transform dreams into reality.
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Adek15(m): 9:30am On Sep 09, 2015
luckypeace1980:

Finally with the income aspect of it in nigeria which is more likely to end more or has more job opportunities MY BRODER!!! i am an architect i will advice you to go for your mind but i prefer you go for civil engeneering because is not one sided course this is what i advised my youngest broder , whom i trained in my office to go and study civil engeneering as recent design softwares has made architecture works so simple in that any tallented individual can use those software and take architects job but it is not so easy to civil engeneers .
I give u d best advisor of d year!!! U r not sentimental unlike most of us. Drawing softwares makes architecture works easier and most civil engineers understands them well unlike civil engineering softwares which isn't that easy to understand cos there are some preliminary knowledge u must know in civil engineering that will make u to use them well
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Adek15(m): 9:33am On Sep 09, 2015
naijainfogalery:
Dont get my wrong most of the time architects stays in the office, if they dont, how do they have time to draw, i know they dont spend their whole life at the office but they dont get their hands dirty like the civil enginerrs
consultant architect I think (note d "I think"wink goes to d project site to confirm if what d engineer is building correlates with what is drawn.
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by ademoladeji(m): 11:27am On Sep 09, 2015
Demmzy15:
I'm studying Mechanical Engineering tongue
I only used civil engineering bcoz it's in the topic of discussion.
All engineering professions are second to none...
We are problem finder and solver
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Demmzy15(m): 12:08pm On Sep 09, 2015
ademoladeji:

I only used civil engineering bcoz it's in the topic of discussion.

All engineering professions are second to none...

We are problem finder and solver
That's nice o, so you're a graduate right?
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by ademoladeji(m): 12:17pm On Sep 09, 2015
Demmzy15:
That's nice o, so you're a graduate right?
Yeah! A registered Engineer

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum / The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality / 6 Exceptional Nigerians Who Work At Apple

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.