Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,308 members, 7,811,916 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:31 PM

Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary - Culture (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary (501915 Views)

We Need To See More Hausa And Fulani Girls Representing Nigeria And In Nollywood / Traditional/ Native Hausa And Fulani Names? / How Did The Populations Of The Igbo, Hausa, And Yoruba Come To Be So Large? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (52) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 9:11pm On May 21, 2011
lepasharon:

pls wat does ndi ofe nmanu umu anuofia mean and wat does NOMOFA mean ??

It means animals know the children of idiots. Only if your "ofe" was supposed to be an "Ofia"
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Candy9(f): 2:12am On May 25, 2011
smiley Hello, kindly translate for me:

--"Se rere nitori eyinwa ola "

Thank you so much!
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 1:32am On May 26, 2011
Candy9:

Thank you so much!

Hey babe, how far? long time!

Translation : Do good things because of tomorrow.

Simply means do unto others as you'll want them to do unto to you in the future.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 1:52am On May 26, 2011
Lol I was wondering if that was Igbo or Yoruba since you usually ask for Igbo Translations. grin
Candy9:

Thank you so much!
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Candy9(f): 4:26am On May 26, 2011
smileyhello thank you so much again.
I am fine.
Really, in this forum I have not asked for an Igbo translation.

wish you all a great day!
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Candy9(f): 4:29am On May 26, 2011
smiley and "how far?" does this refer to my Yoruba advancement? well, am trying, busily keeping my vocabulary notebook, if I knew all by heart now, I would then be far, trying,

love to you all here! enjoy!
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 7:46pm On May 26, 2011
Candy9:

smiley and "how far?" does this refer to my Yoruba advancement? well, am trying, busily keeping my vocabulary notebook, if I knew all by heart now, I would then be far, trying,

love to you all here! enjoy!

LOL I wouldnt say pidgin english (How far) extends to your knowledge of the Yoruba language tho smiley

I'm proud of you, keep learning. I'm always here to help.

If you need my email for instant answer, I won't mind posting. Goodluck!! smiley smiley
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 2:46am On May 27, 2011
I'm sorry of I sound Arogant or obnoxiousn but I only want to point this out to you so you won't confuse it for Yoruba. You asked for Ezi-Nwanyi which is Igbo. smiley

Candy9:

Please tell me what does this mean:
Ezi-Nwanyi

Thank you so much

blessings

smiley
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Candy9(f): 1:15pm On May 27, 2011
Good morning thank you so much  smiley your offer is most kind!
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by lepasharon(f): 12:11am On May 31, 2011
odumchi:

It means animals know the children of idiots. Only if your "ofe" was supposed to be an "Ofia"
haha! 4 real? shocked thanks! im learnin more diss words in igbo
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 2:32am On May 31, 2011
Glad to help. It also improves my own Igbo skills grin cool
lepasharon:

haha! 4 real? shocked thanks! im learnin more diss words in igbo
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by tutuwater(m): 1:45pm On May 31, 2011
Obinrin so iwa nu oni oun ni ori husband (oko).
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by okooyinbo(m): 3:56pm On Jun 01, 2011
tutuwater:

Obinrin so iwa nu oni oun ni ori husband (oko).

Should be: Obinrin so iwa nu, o ni oun ko ni ori oko.

Literally translated:
Obinrin =woman
so nu = to loose (lost), cast away, throw away
iwa = behaviour (also composure, but behaviour, character is better)
o = she (he, it)
ni = says (wipe is also a synonym)
oun = (herself)
ko = not
ni = (to have) has
ori = head (here, it means luck)
oko = husband

A woman has no character and says she has no luck with men.

A badly mannered woman would not say she is bad, rather she blames her not having a husband on her misfortune with men
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 10:34pm On Jun 01, 2011
Ive noticed a striking similarity between a few Yoruba and Igbo words.
In many Niger-Congo languages the letter "m" is used as a possessive particle.

ex Igbo: My Husband "Di'm"
ex Yoruba: My Husband "Oko mi"

Related Words:
Yoruba: Igbo: Meaning:
Uwa. Agwa. Behavior or Conduct
o. o. He, she, it

And if I may ask what does "Ife and Oyo" translate to in Yoruba if at all it has any meaning?
Please I hope you don't mind my asking I am fascinated in languages. smiley
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by regina101: 9:26am On Jun 06, 2011
Can anyone translate the ibo word CHIETUGO?

Thanks
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Ogaga4Luv(m): 5:58pm On Jun 06, 2011
kiss kiss kiss wink
Candy9:

Good morning thank you so much  smiley your offer is most kind!
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by truevoice: 11:52am On Jun 09, 2011
Looking to Learn yoruba or better still Yorùbá ?
Innovative and fun Language application that allows you to learn at your own pace. Practise speaking and reading Yorùbá so you too can have your "I Know What You Said Moment"

visit www.ikwys.co.uk for a demo
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Ogaga4Luv(m): 11:01am On Jun 10, 2011
[size=13pt]Thanks for sharing my dear. . . I'll check the page out later . smiley[/size]

truevoice:

Looking to Learn yoruba or better still Yorùbá ?
Innovative and fun Language application that allows you to learn at your own pace. Practise speaking and reading Yorùbá so you too can have your "I Know What You Said Moment"

visit www.ikwys.co.uk for a demo
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Sissy3(f): 4:50am On Jun 28, 2011
pls, can someone help me with this english-igbo translation

' i am at my father's wife house"?

thanks!
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 4:53am On Jun 28, 2011
~Sissy~:

' i am at my father's wife house"?

A nọm na ulọ nwinye nna'm.

A nọm n'ulọ nwinye nna'm. (preferred)
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Sissy3(f): 4:57am On Jun 28, 2011
thanks lot ezeagu!
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Ogaga4Luv(m): 10:07am On Jun 28, 2011
[size=13pt]~Sissy~ dear , English to Igbo translation is on google. . . lucky you smiley wink[/size]
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 4:32pm On Jun 28, 2011
I'm still waiting for them to make BBC Igbo since there already is BBC Hausa. angry
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 7:06pm On Jun 28, 2011
Ogaga4Luv:

[size=13pt]~Sissy~ dear , English to Igbo translation is on google. . . lucky you smiley wink[/size]

No it's not, where?

http://translate.google.com/

odumchi:

I'm still waiting for them to make BBC Igbo since there already is BBC Hausa. angry

BBC Hausa is there because unlike Igbo people, most Hausa BBC listeners can't understand English (well), plus who even speaks proper Igbo again so why should they waste their time.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 12:53am On Jul 03, 2011

@ Ezeagu

I try my best to speak unadultered, Englishfree Igbo. If people try abd think they'll find out there is a word for everything practical and precolonial in Igbo. If you'd like to prove me wrong I want ANYONE TO POST A LIST OF NON-MODERN AND NON ENGLISH THINGS that they think aren't expressed in Igbo and I'll be happy to answer. smiley
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 5:20am On Jul 03, 2011
Odumchi, 'unadulterated' sounds nice. How well can you pull it off? I try to do the same as well. And what exactly do you mean by non-modern, non-English? Mind giving some examples?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 5:32am On Jul 03, 2011
@ Chinenye

I can speak it very well.  Personally i have observed that the problem most people find in speaking Igbo is the placement of English conjunctions and Igbo conjunctions. But like i said there is a word for everything necessary.

"or: mo
but: kama
and: yana
before: tam"

By non-modern i mean words such as: computer, television, car, calculator (which some call ogu-ego), phone, internet, etc and other modern words. These words are unfamiliar to Igboland and much of Africa as a whole.

An average, Igbo speaker would say:
"Kedu, how far? Achorom iga to that house before junction ukwu onhu. Iwere ike itak'm?
But the proper way is:
"Kedu, nda? Achorom iga na ulo onhu no n'ihu okporo izonhu. Iwere ike idugam?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 6:08am On Jul 03, 2011
Oh okay. I know what you mean. I've noticed it to (the conjunctions and the Engligbo). But me, I've managed to eliminate all (if not that, then most) of the English conjunctions and replace them with the proper equivalents. On the non-modern words, how exactly do you express computer, phone, and internet?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 3:23pm On Jul 03, 2011
The problem with speaking proper Igbo is that not everyone understands proper Igbo.

odumchi:

@ Ezeagu

I try my best to speak unadultered, Englishfree Igbo. If people try abd think they'll find out there is a word for everything practical and precolonial in Igbo. If you'd like to prove me wrong I want ANYONE TO POST A LIST OF NON-MODERN AND NON ENGLISH THINGS that they think aren't expressed in Igbo and I'll be happy to answer. smiley

Of course, there are also non-modern words that couldn't have existed in Igbo (apple, potato, snow, tsunami).

ChinenyeN:

Oh okay. I know what you mean. I've noticed it to (the conjunctions and the Engligbo). But me, I've managed to eliminate all (if not that, then most) of the English conjunctions and replace them with the proper equivalents. On the non-modern words, how exactly do you express computer, phone, and internet?

Computer, phone and internet should just be Igboised to komputa, fonu and intanet, unless people want to go to the very basic roots of these modern words (which are usually Latin, which has a vocabulary similar to Igbo, and also a way of putting words together to make new words similar to Igbo) and provide their own Igbo versions, which could look funny, but could look something like this:

Computer
'Computer' from 'compute' from Latin 'computare' coming from com 'together' and putare 'to settle an account', but with in English meaning to calculate, calculate is:

"–verb (used with object)
1. to determine or ascertain by mathematical methods; compute: to calculate the velocity of light."
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/calculate

So in Igbo that would be something like gukọta 'count together', then add a Ọ in the front and:

[size=14pt]Computer: Ọgukọta[/size]

Phone
Short for telephone from tele-:

"Origin:
combining form representing Greek têle  far, akin to télos  end"
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tele-

and phone

"from Greek phōnē voice, sound"
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/-phone

so in Igbo, té or tèrè/tèlè is 'far, long' (funnily enough) and ólú 'voice, neck', so:

[size=14pt]Telephone: Tèlólú or Ólútere (or can be Ọwụólu, 'voice jumper')[/size]

Internet

"Internet
1985, "the linked computer networks of the U.S. Defense Department," shortened from internetwork , from inter-  + network."

inter-

"inter-

a prefix occurring in loanwords from Latin, where it meant “between,” “among,” “in the midst of,” “mutually,” “reciprocally,” “together,” “during” ( intercept; interest );  on this model, used in the formation of compound words ( intercom; interdepartmental )."
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/inter-

network

"Origin:
1550–60; 1910–15 for def. 2; net  + work"
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/network

Igbo: Só- (same meanings as inter) and kà ùbu, kùbu 'like a net, network'

[size=14pt]Internet: Sókùbu[/size]

grin
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 3:59pm On Jul 03, 2011
Ezeagu, na wa. cheesy Also, what do you mean proper Igbo?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 4:05pm On Jul 03, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Ezeagu, na wa. cheesy Also, what do you mean proper Igbo?

M like-kiri gi. < Not proper igbo.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (52) (Reply)

Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. / ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.