Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,310 members, 7,811,917 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:35 PM

Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary - Culture (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary (501918 Views)

We Need To See More Hausa And Fulani Girls Representing Nigeria And In Nollywood / Traditional/ Native Hausa And Fulani Names? / How Did The Populations Of The Igbo, Hausa, And Yoruba Come To Be So Large? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (52) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 4:13pm On Jul 03, 2011
I think out of all those translations, telolu could be used.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 6:12pm On Jul 03, 2011
Oh okay. Engligbo. Honestly, I think Engligbo can be curbed by re-instituting Igbo in Igbo society, like Peter Obi (I believe that's his name) is trying to do in Anambra. It'll take some time though to get everyone back to the proper Igbo mentality, though, but I think it'll be worth it.

Telolu doesn't sound bad actually. Speaking about the telephone though, we've gone through a few expressions in our house, none of which stuck. So we ended up resorting back to 'phone'.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by dempeople(m): 2:50pm On Jul 10, 2011
I wonder when Asusu Igbo would be complete as a language. Its embarrassing for me to speak EngliIgbo most times. embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 4:06pm On Jul 10, 2011
Dem_People, you'd be surprised how complete Igbo is.

Page 4, of this very same topic:

[quote="ezeagu"]Translate: In a small town located in the biggest city in the west, I tried to send an e-mail for identification in order for me to pay my electricity bill, only to find out my details were pending on the system, to be edited by a moderator on a later date. Into Igbo[/quote]

[quote="ChinenyeN"]I want to give this a try. . .

Translate:
In a small town located in the biggest city in the west, I tried to send an e-mail for identification in order for me to pay my electricity bill, only to find out my details were pending on the system, to be edited by a moderator on a later date.

Translation:
N'ama nta no n'obodo dikarikasiri ukwu n'odida anwu, agbaliri m iziga ozi igwe e ji maara m ka m nwe ike ikwu ugwo oku m, bia achofuta na ihe nkowasi m ka na-eche ka onye njikata orunotu bia emegharia ya n'ubochi ozo.

Interestingly. . . The Igbo translation is shorter, when written. I also took the liberty of counting the syllables, and found that the English translation has 75 syllables, and the Igbo translation has 71 syllables.

Maybe our issue is not that Igbo is lacking. Maybe our issue is that most people are so much more accustomed to speaking English over Igbo, that it seems as if we're losing our fluency in Igbo.[/quote]
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 10:19pm On Jul 10, 2011
dem_people:

I wonder when Asusu Igbo would be complete as a language. Its embarrassing for me to speak EngliIgbo most times. embarassed embarassed embarassed

What words are you missing?

On another note there's no such thing as a complete language. This sentence alone does not contain words only of English origin.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 11:16pm On Jul 10, 2011
What about 'republican' in Igbo or 'republic' I saw on the internet Ochichi iwu, as in 'Law regime'.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 11:40pm On Jul 10, 2011
Republic; Ohaneze
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 4:43pm On Jul 11, 2011
So that's 'the state (public) and the king', or 'the public as the king'?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 5:08pm On Jul 11, 2011
More like, 'the state (public) and the representative'.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 6:39am On Jul 13, 2011
What would we do without people like you cheesy
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by lepasharon(f): 7:16pm On Jul 13, 2011
Any igbo wat does Arogba mean? grin
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 9:10pm On Jul 14, 2011
^^^
Are you sure its an Igbo word?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Dyt(f): 10:47pm On Jul 14, 2011
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Sissy3(f): 12:58am On Jul 19, 2011
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 6:17pm On Jul 19, 2011
^^^
Please do not ruin this thread with irrelevance. This place is for linguists and those interested. wink
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Sissy3(f): 5:35am On Jul 20, 2011
meaning what exactly
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by bmaninbama: 6:19am On Aug 04, 2011
Good evening. I'm writing a speech honoring a co-worker originally from Nigeria who is leaving for another job. Can someone please translate the following phrase into Yoruba for me:

"Thank you for everything. We will miss you. Godspeed."

Thank you for your help.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by nnabuike1(m): 5:02pm On Aug 16, 2011
bmaninbama:

Good evening. I'm writing a speech honoring a co-worker originally from Nigeria who is leaving for another job. Can someone please translate the following phrase into Yoruba for me:

Thank you for your help.

Da-alu maka ihe nile i' meelu anyi. Anyi ga na cheta kwaa gi. La-a nke oma.

Da-alu maka enye'm aka gi.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ifyalways(f): 5:33pm On Aug 16, 2011
^Since when did that become Yoruba?
bmaninbama:

Good evening. I'm writing a speech honoring a co-worker originally from Nigeria who is leaving for another job. Can someone please translate the following phrase into[b] Yoruba[/b] for me:

Thank you for your help.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Sissy3(f): 4:34am On Aug 20, 2011
Please can anyone help me with this translations:

"you are looking for my trouble" and "you are a troublemaker" in igbo

thanks
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 9:17am On Aug 20, 2011
~Sissy~:

"you are looking for my trouble"

Usually: Ị na kpạsum iwe, 'you're making me angry',
Literally: Ị nè tu nsogbum, 'you are looking for my trouble'

~Sissy~:

"you are a troublemaker"

Usually: Ị bụ onye ụru, 'you're mischievous',
Literally: Ị bụ onye nsogbu, 'you're a trouble (affiliated) person'
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by nwaigbomg(m): 3:33pm On Aug 20, 2011
good job, ezeagu,

ezeagu:

Usually: Ị na kpạsum iwe, 'you're making me angry',
Literally: Ị nè tu nsogbum, 'you are looking for my trouble'
i n' achom okwu 'you are looking for my trouble' ---nkwerre/orlu dialet

Usually: Ị bụ onye ụru, 'you're mischievous',
Literally: Ị bụ onye nsogbu, 'you're a trouble (affiliated) person'
ocho okwu 'trouble maker' nkwerre/orlu dialet
ocho nganeko (nga ona eko) 'trouble maker----onitsha dialet
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 11:08pm On Aug 20, 2011
No probs.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 11:41pm On Aug 20, 2011
^^

You forgot "I bu onye nchongoloko" (you are a troublemaker)  grin
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by temieboo: 5:37pm On Aug 21, 2011
Please how do I say I love You in Jukun
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Sissy3(f): 1:28am On Aug 22, 2011
Thanks a lot! Ezeagu smiley

thanks odumchi cool
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ifyalways(f): 1:07pm On Aug 22, 2011
~Sissy~:

"you are looking for my trouble" and "you are a troublemaker" in igbo

thanks
and . . .this:
I na-acho m okwu . . .You are looking for my trouble.
I bu ocho okwu . . . You are a trouble maker.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Sissy3(f): 1:21am On Aug 23, 2011
thanks a lot Ify. i appreciate it kiss
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 10:15pm On Sep 08, 2011
What does Akanu mean, Ibiam, and Kamalu? I can guess, but I want the specific meaning.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 11:22pm On Sep 08, 2011
ezeagu:

What does Akanu mean, Ibiam, and Kamalu? I can guess, but I want the specific meaning.

Ibiam resembles Ibibio. undecided
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 12:10am On Sep 10, 2011
Someone from Enugwu would know [talking about Akanu and Ibiam]. Kamalu though, you would have to ask the Aro. It is basically their word/name.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 12:34am On Sep 10, 2011
Kamalu ikere (full name) is the oracle of the people of Ohafia

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (52) (Reply)

Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. / ..

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.