Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,598 members, 7,820,147 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:25 AM

Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary - Culture (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary (502725 Views)

We Need To See More Hausa And Fulani Girls Representing Nigeria And In Nollywood / Traditional/ Native Hausa And Fulani Names? / How Did The Populations Of The Igbo, Hausa, And Yoruba Come To Be So Large? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (52) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 12:54am On Sep 10, 2011
Okay. Ohafia then, though to me Aro, Ohafia, Abiriba, etc. seem to kind of line up together.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 1:51am On Sep 10, 2011
Oh ok, Makes sense
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 12:18pm On Sep 10, 2011
Okay, I was looking for the break down of the words. I'll take the advise and check the words out with Aro and Afikpo people (I don't know when that will be).
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ifyalways(f): 6:07pm On Sep 10, 2011
Cherekwa,is it remotely possible that Kalu/Kanu is coined out from "Kamalu"?

Why the kalu and kanu versions?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 6:19pm On Sep 10, 2011
I just found out that Kalu, Kamalu, Kanu, and Akanu is the same name.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 7:04pm On Sep 10, 2011
I think the difference between Kanu/Kalu is just a matter of dialectal preference.

There are many other names like this such as:

Anicho/Alicho
Uloma/Unoma
Okoro/Okolo

I suspect that the "l" originated from southern Igboland while the "n" originates from northern and western Igboland. For example Wawa people say "Enugwu" where as my people would say "Elugwu". Ukwuani people say "Anioma" whereas my people would say "Alioma".
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 7:37pm On Sep 10, 2011
From what I've seen, Kamalu is more prominent in old Bende zone. Ngwa say Kamanu. Both are the same name. Children named after the god are called Kalu/Kanu.

odumchi:

I suspect that the "l" originated from southern Igboland while the "n" originates from northern and western Igboland. For example Wawa people say "Enugwu" where as my people would say "Elugwu". Ukwuani people say "Anioma" whereas my people would say "Alioma".
Naturally, we would think that, but it actually isn't the case. Southern Igbo and eastern Ijo pronounce "Kamanu". The "Kamalu" pronunciation seems more prominent or more established in eastern Igbo area (the Cross Rivers Igbo).
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ifyalways(f): 7:45pm On Sep 10, 2011
@Odumchi,you got that but what about within same town?what explanation wud you give for the L/N variants?

Arochukwu uses both
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 8:04pm On Sep 10, 2011
odumchi:

Most Igbo words in the west are Nri-Oka, actually, the 'Westerners' speak something like an Oka dialect with Bini, and maybe Ishan and Igala influence, but sometimes Ika can sound like Igbo spoken in Abia state.

ifyalways:

@Odumchi,you got that but what about within same town?what explanation wud you give for the L/N variants?

Arochukwu uses both

Maybe it's modern influence? Or maybe some people prefer one over the other, like a place which uses Ihe for thing may use Ife like Ifeanyi for a name.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 10:37pm On Sep 10, 2011
Okay, so the only thing I can guess for Kamalu is that the lụ is fighting, which is why it is also nụ in other places. I thought about it being Ka ma a lụ, as in perseverance, but that would be ka na a lụ, isn't it? Or is it kam a lụ, [N]ka ma a lụ, or kam mma à lụ. Confusion! i've seen a suggestion that kamalu are actually two names, Kalu Akanu.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 12:22am On Sep 11, 2011
ifyalways:

Arochukwu uses both

Yes people in Arochukwu use both "l" and "n" for certain words such as "ekene"  and a few other words. However it is restricted. We don't say Ani (land) or uno (house). For the vast  majority of words we substitue "n" for "l".
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 2:10am On Sep 11, 2011
Not so sure about that lu/nu fighting theory. Like I pointed out earlier, southern Igbo pronounce "Kamanu". If we took the lu/nu theory seriously, then the southern groups would then have to pronounce it as "Kamalu" since they use "lu" variant for fighting, rather than "nu". Another thing to consider is that outside of the southern/eastern cultural areas, Kamalu/Kamanu is not a known name/word. In other words, the people who use "nu" for fighting know nothing about Kamanu. So we can't even begin to make a lu/nu connection, in my opinion.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 12:33pm On Sep 11, 2011
Even if the lu/nu is not 'fight', there will still be a problem explaining why the southern and eastern dialects are using nu instead of lu. In some dialects, the l and n are not strict for every word used, for example some may use na and la for 'in', depending on which is the most convenient in the moment.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 12:42am On Sep 12, 2011
The only explanation I can think of, for this lu/nu discrepancy is that "Kamanu" is a borrowed name/word, borrowed from Cross Rivers Igbo (which is the actual truth). It is very likely that the lu/nu discrepancy is just a matter of speech corruption, which is a typical phenomenon of borrowed words.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 2:50am On Sep 12, 2011
Then lu/nu could bu fighting then.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 3:02am On Sep 12, 2011
How could it be fighting when southerners don't use "nu" for fighting?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 3:14am On Sep 12, 2011
Because you said it's a corruption.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 3:19am On Sep 12, 2011
I said corruption because "Kamanu" is a borrowed word/name and not a cognate. The lu/nu connection makes sense only for cognates.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 3:30am On Sep 12, 2011
But that would mean that the communities that borrowed the word had no idea what the word Kamalu means, unless it's not made up of different words. The lu and nu in Kamalu/Kamanu or Kalu/Kanu are both used by the southern communities.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 3:44am On Sep 12, 2011
Yes. If you ask for the meaning (particularly if you ask southerners) no one can give you answer, but they can say what it refers to, being the god of thunder, which we originally know by another name. As for the use of both lu/nu variants, maybe. It might be possible, but I've yet to see or hear an Ngwa, Asa, Echee, Ndoki, Ikwere, etc. write or pronounce "Kamalu".
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 4:11am On Sep 12, 2011
Anyway, the lu/nu could mean anything, it could even be part of a larger word. My guess was just lụ because of the context, the way the word is pronounced, and the fact that I can't think of any other lụ word that changes the l/n except maybe for marry.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 4:17am On Sep 12, 2011
Yeah. I actually used to wonder the same thing about Kamanu/Kamalu [the significance of lu/nu] too some years back. Now though, I think it actually has no significance other than just corruption; evidence of borrowing.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 5:10am On Sep 12, 2011
Ezeagu, If I may ask, eye k' iza na ali Igbo?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 5:03pm On Sep 13, 2011
By the way phone is ékwé ntị.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by 1lisababe: 8:28pm On Sep 13, 2011
Hi Im trying to learn a little yoruba and these are comments made on my profile and friends pro i dont understand, would u plese tell me wat it means please.

mr n mrs Ade, ajepe aiye o

aku orire o

Se u be Iya Iyawo abi Oko

two iya dudus vs one iya pupa

Ogaa ju

Òkò ati iyawo ma bara wan kalè o amin.

agbaya ni e.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Candy9(f): 10:46am On Sep 15, 2011
Hello my friends, please help me again today:

What is Òsírìgì and where in Yorùbá land can we find Òsírìgì??

Thank for your help!!! smiley
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 2:23am On Sep 28, 2011
I know that clock in Igbo Is "Elekere", but does the actual word for clock in our individual dialects differ?

For example, in my place we say "ataang" for clock. So I'm hoping someone would give me a few examples of what other towns use.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by activist11(m): 11:58pm On Oct 02, 2011

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 12:06am On Oct 03, 2011
odumchi:

I know that clock in Igbo Is "Elekere", but does the actual word for clock in our individual dialects differ?
For example, in my place we say "ataang" for clock. So I'm hoping someone would give me a few examples of what other towns use.
As far as I know, for the groups in the Ngwa/Eche axis, it's elekere. If ever there was a specific/dialectal term for it, it's long since been forgotten.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 12:58am On Oct 03, 2011
@ Chinenye

Interesting. I found out that in central Igbo the original intent of "Elekere" was to represent minutes and hours rather than the clock itself but it has come to mean
Clock in many areas.

In my place, ataang is actually "hand-bell" but since time has come to be associated with clock it has cone to mean both things. Language evolution is amazing.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ifyalways(f): 4:00pm On Oct 03, 2011
^No,elekere bu clock.
Minutes bu Nkeji
Hour buru awa(okwu mbite)

O jirila nkeji iri abuo na ise gafee. . .haha.Okwa eziokwu!.WE use elekere in place of hour.

O jirila nkeji iri abuo na ise gafee "elekere iri" nke ututu.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 12:32am On Oct 04, 2011
Thanks for the deep clarification. You know sometimes it makes you wonder where the origin of certain words lie. Now I'm curios if there are any other communities/people that refer to clock as "ataang" or
Does it stem from Ibibio?

And Ify onwekwa mgbe igwaram na ndi gi bu ndi Aro, so do you normally use "Elekere" or do any of them use "ataang"?

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (52) (Reply)

Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. / ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.