Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,545 members, 7,827,039 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:27 AM

Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary - Culture (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary (503250 Views)

We Need To See More Hausa And Fulani Girls Representing Nigeria And In Nollywood / Traditional/ Native Hausa And Fulani Names? / How Did The Populations Of The Igbo, Hausa, And Yoruba Come To Be So Large? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (52) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Fulaman198(m): 3:17am On Aug 28, 2012
mkmyers45:

Min-dun nuna fulfulde smiley

hehe, ha toy a woni? An a pullo?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Oluchiva(f): 4:19am On Sep 04, 2012
Can someone tell me what the names Monsunmola, Tinuke,dimeji, ebunoluwa, and owolabi mean? Thank you
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ifyalways(f): 3:31pm On Sep 05, 2012
^ ^ my Yoruba is rusty but I'll give it a try.

Mosunmola: I'm close to tomorrow .

Tinuke precious child.

Dimeji: could be ayodimeji
Which means my joy is double.
Ebunoluwa Gods blessing.

Owolabi: money has come.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ifyalways(f): 8:03am On Sep 06, 2012
^ ^ after a bowl of amala, I have seen with clear eyes, the errors in my initial translation.

Mosunmola : I'm closer to my riches.

Atinuke : I'm pampered from the tummy. Pampered even before birth.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Bareena: 4:40pm On Sep 07, 2012
Hello everybody,

I am new to the forum and new to Yoruba language. Anybody here who is willing to help me translate the following Yoruba words / names? If they can be translated into English. I was told a lot of words can't be translated literally. But there might be a way to describe or explain them. Even though that would be in a perhaps "clumsy" way. Many thanks in advance...

• Inukogun
• Awofusi
• Atikaresete
• Omipensen-akodun-koro
• Keke
• Oritoteere
• Adiloye
• Adetutu
• Eka
• Jokoje
• Ikase
• Osikaleka
• Olabosipo
• Onimeri-Apala
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by demmie1: 6:37pm On Sep 09, 2012
ifyalways: ^ ^ after a bowl of amala, I have seen with clear eyes, the errors in my initial translation.

Mosunmola : I'm closer to my riches.

Atinuke : I'm pampered from the tummy. Pampered even before birth.

you still miss it. Mosunmola means closer to wealth not riches. Yoruba clearly differentiate between wealth and riches. wealth is ola riches is oro like or-or

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 6:42pm On Sep 09, 2012
Bareena: Hello everybody,

I am new to the forum and new to Yoruba language. Anybody here who is willing to help me translate the following Yoruba words / names? If they can be translated into English. I was told a lot of words can't be translated literally. But there might be a way to describe or explain them. Even though that would be in a perhaps "clumsy" way. Many thanks in advance...

• Inukogun
• Awofusi
• Atikaresete
• Omipensen-akodun-koro
• Keke
• Oritoteere
• Adiloye
• Adetutu
• Eka
• Jokoje
• Ikase
• Osikaleka
• Olabosipo
• Onimeri-Apala

I know which class this is for. . . goodluck.

You have to give us the tone marks. You know that Yoruba words are spelled similar, but only the tone marks can different their meaning.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 6:52pm On Sep 09, 2012
Oluchiva: Can someone tell me what the names Monsunmola, Tinuke,dimeji, ebunoluwa, and owolabi mean? Thank you

Mosunmola --> Mo sun mo ola --> I move close to wealth

Tinuke --> Ti inu ke --> Cared form the inside (womb)

Dimeji --> Di meji --> Becomes two

Ebunoluwa --> Ebun Oluwa --> God's Gift

Owolabi --> Owo ni a bi --> Money is what we gave birth to, or we gave birth to money.

Translation from a Yoruba woman.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Fulaman198(m): 6:57pm On Sep 09, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Mosunmola --> Mo sun mo ola --> I move close to wealth

Tinuke --> Ti inu ke --> Cared form the inside (womb)

Dimeji --> Di meji --> Becomes two

Ebunoluwa --> Ebun Oluwa --> God's Gift

Owolabi --> Owo ni a bi --> Money is what we gave birth to, or we gave birth to money.

Translation from a Yoruba woman.

Ileke is just doing her thing representing her beautiful language smiley

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Bareena: 7:31pm On Sep 09, 2012
Thank you for your reply! Hehehe, yeah, it's a good class! ;-)

Hmmm... I am aware of the tonal significance in Yoruba language. It is a real pitty that the tone-marks got lost in the corpus of odus I work with. It is a corpus of works that my good friend collected over the last thirty years, in Europe though. He did so in museums, university libraries and private collections. I am afraid the sources were that old that nobody was really aware of the significance of tone-marks, and/or didn't have a typewriter that could produce them. (I actually am guessing that, but I wouldn't be surprised if that in fact was the case. European languages don't have tonal significance in that way.) Also he got texts from very old sound-recordings.

We are going to publish the corpus in English and I will make drawings with every text, as Ifa asked us to do it this way. For me it will be an Ifa study, Ifa asked me to do so and I gladly accepted his invitation ;-). By the way, I am working on the Ika odus at the moment. If it really is that hard to get to something, it seems I have to get my info and inspiration through the context then and accept the handicap. Also I think the meaning of words can (often) be derived from their context, considering the makeup of the lot of those texts. Anyway... Any help is very much appreciated!

Thanks again for your reply!
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 7:38pm On Sep 09, 2012
Bareena: Thank you for your reply! Hehehe, yeah, it's a good class! ;-)

Hmmm... I am aware of the tonal significance in Yoruba language. It is a real pitty that the tone-marks got lost in the corpus of odus I work with. It is a corpus of works that my good friend collected over the last thirty years, in Europe though. He did so in museums, university libraries and private collections. I am afraid the sources were that old that nobody was really aware of the significance of tone-marks, and/or didn't have a typewriter that could produce them. (I actually am guessing that, but I wouldn't be surprised if that in fact was the case. European languages don't have tonal significance in that way.) Also he got texts from very old sound-recordings.

We are going to publish the corpus in English and I will make drawings with every text, as Ifa asked us to do it this way. For me it will be an Ifa study, Ifa asked me to do so and I gladly accepted his invitation ;-). By the way, I am working on the Ika odus at the moment. If it really is that hard to get to something, it seems I have to get my info and inspiration through the context then and accept the handicap. Also I think the meaning of words can (often) be derived from their context, considering the makeup of the lot of those texts. Anyway... Any help is very much appreciated!

Thanks again for your reply!

Since this is for something important, a publication, I'm too afraid to give you a translation without tone marks. I might be wrong.

If you're in Europe, esp London, it shouldnt be too hard to find a Yoruba professor (email can be found through university links) that can help you out.

I'll send a Yoruba professor an email and I can have the translation sent to me by Monday, if that's not too late for you.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 7:41pm On Sep 09, 2012
I just sent the email, I should get a reply back my tomorrow.

Good luck!
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 1:07am On Sep 11, 2012

• Inukogun
• Awofusi
• Atikaresete
• Omipensen-akodun-koro
• Keke
• Oritoteere
• Adiloye
• Adetutu
• Eka
• Jokoje
• Ikase
• Osikaleka
• Olabosipo
• Onimeri-Apala

This email reply below is from a Yoruba professor I'm well acquainted with.

Are you sure this is Nigerian-Yoruba language? Yoruba is spoken in various countries, with their own dialect.

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 7:04am On Sep 11, 2012
Does anyone know how to say ''to be drowsy" in Central Igbo?

I don't know how to say it in Central Igbo but I do know it in my dialect.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ifyalways(f): 7:32am On Sep 11, 2012
Odumchi, I believe it's anya aju.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ifyalways(f): 7:34am On Sep 11, 2012
demmie1:
you still miss it. Mosunmola means closer to wealth not riches. Yoruba clearly differentiate between wealth and riches. wealth is ola riches is oro like or-or
Oh really ?
Thanks all the same. smiley
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ifyalways(f): 2:03pm On Sep 11, 2012
Giving it a trial,if you finally get the translations,please don't fail to share with us. smiley

Jokoje:sit there
Eka:to read , read it
Olabosipo:tomorrow would usher in good things
Keke: bicycle
Adetutu:it's calm now.there's peace now

• Inukogun
• Awofusi
• Atikaresete
• Omipensen-akodun-koro
• Keke
• Oritoteere
• Adiloye
• Adetutu
• Eka
• Jokoje
• Ikase
• Osikaleka
• Olabosipo
• Onimeri-Apala

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 4:36am On Sep 12, 2012
ifyalways: Giving it a trial,if you finally get the translations,please don't fail to share with us. smiley

Jokoje:sit there
Eka:to read , read it
Olabosipo:tomorrow would usher in good things
Keke: bicycle
Adetutu:it's calm now.there's peace now

As a non-Yoruba woman please cease from giving wrong translations. You've done that multiple times.

Jokoje is not sit there. ven if it was, it would be two separate words.
Eka is not read, and it's also the name for a Yoruba food

ETC

That's why I asked for the tone marks to give precise meaning. Yoruba is not your forte, even though I commend you for your little knowledge on the language, but do try no to mislead people who actually want to learn it RIGHT.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 4:41am On Sep 12, 2012
ifyalways: Odumchi, I believe it's anya aju.

Ndeewo oo.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 4:43am On Sep 12, 2012
Odumchi, how is it said in your lect?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 5:03am On Sep 12, 2012
ChinenyeN: Odumchi, how is it said in your lect?

Iro ura - to be drowsy.
M n'ero ura - I am drowsy.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 5:23am On Sep 12, 2012
Oh okay. Thanks.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ifyalways(f): 8:55am On Sep 12, 2012
kindly translate to read,bicycle,all is calm/peaceful now,sit there in Yoruba as a Yoruba woman.
smiley this thread is for learning and for every of my post,I add a disclaimer.You'll either correct me(share knowledge) or hit the highway. cool
Ileke-IdI:

As a non-Yoruba woman please cease from giving wrong translations. You've done that multiple times.

Jokoje is not sit there. ven if it was, it would be two separate words.
Eka is not read, and it's also the name for a Yoruba food

ETC

That's why I asked for the tone marks to give precise meaning. Yoruba is not your forte, even though I commend you for your little knowledge on the language, but do try no to mislead people who actually want to learn it RIGHT.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ifyalways(f): 9:03am On Sep 12, 2012
odumchi:

Iro ura - to be drowsy.
M n'ero ura - I am drowsy.

sounds more like snoring to a regular Anambarian. so how would you say "to snore" in Aro ?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 11:26am On Sep 12, 2012
ifyalways:

sounds more like snoring to a regular Anambarian. so how would you say "to snore" in Aro ?

Ikwo ura.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by StarFlux: 12:03am On Sep 13, 2012
ifyalways: kindly translate to read,bicycle,all is calm/peaceful now,sit there in Yoruba as a Yoruba woman.
smiley this thread is for learning and for every of my post,I add a disclaimer.You'll either correct me(share knowledge) or hit the highway. cool

Luckily, the first once are easy. I will write them for you with tones. (The letters below are the proper letters, but this site won't let me write dot letters with tones).

To read: Láti káwè.

Bicycle: Kékè.
(ẹ ẹ)

Sit there: Jókòó níbè.
(ọọ) (ẹ)

Peaceful: Onìrèlè
(ẹ ẹ)

I don't know what it is calm/peaceful now would directly translate to, sorry. Maybe gbogbo onìrélé ìgbá yìí.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ifyalways(f): 12:28am On Sep 13, 2012
StarFlux:

Luckily, the first once are easy. I will write them for you with tones. (The letters below are the proper letters, but this site won't let me write dot letters with tones).

(ẹ ẹ)

(ọọ) (ẹ)

Peaceful: Onìrélé
(ẹ ẹ)

I don't know what it is calm/peaceful now would directly translate to, sorry. Maybe gbogbo onìrélé ìgbá yìí.

Thank you starflux.Can you also check and try Bereenas post,i was actually trying some of them.

You are truly,a proper Yoruba lady. kiss
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by StarFlux: 12:36am On Sep 13, 2012
Hehe, thank you! I am actually learning Yoruba as we speak. So this thread is nice for me to test my skills.

I will take a look at that post now.

EDIT: I recognize the word eka and I believe it is ékà which is a way of measuring. (Acre I believe is the English word if I remember correctly). Hard to tell without the tones, but that is the only "eka-word" I know of anyway.

Jokoje = jókòó jé, maybe? Not sure of the meaning. Jokoo means sit, jé is be/exist. There is another possibility, the word jéjé means quietly. So if this is the case, it would be sit quietly. Still need someone to confirm.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ifyalways(f): 11:18am On Sep 13, 2012
Aiight.I was just thinking and that was even one of the reasons i translated Eka as to read.Can eka be said to also have anything to do with to count . . .?

Ka owo e fun mi (count this money for me)
E ka fu me(Count for me) i don't know where the tones et all should be hence my English translation undecided

Your Acre (Measurement) translation for same word makes it even more interesting
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by StarFlux: 12:27pm On Sep 13, 2012
Hmm! I believe you are correct.

Ka is count, so yes!
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by seunfly: 12:00am On Sep 14, 2012
StarFlux:

(ẹ ẹ)

(ọọ) (ẹ)

Peaceful: Onìrélé
(ẹ ẹ)

well you are trying am happy that you are able to know all this within short period of time particularly the tonal effect which i myself yoruba guy did not know.
However:
Onirele means humble peaceful means irorun, calm means jeje
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by seunfly: 12:09am On Sep 14, 2012
Also jokooje means sit down gently/calm
eka depending on the tone and the word that proceed it. Eka count it, eka-ro goodmorning(eka-ro is shorten from eku-owuro), eka fold it. Please bear with me about the signs am using my phone.

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (52) (Reply)

Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. / ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.