Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,862 members, 7,810,288 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:45 AM

Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary - Culture (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary (501711 Views)

We Need To See More Hausa And Fulani Girls Representing Nigeria And In Nollywood / Traditional/ Native Hausa And Fulani Names? / How Did The Populations Of The Igbo, Hausa, And Yoruba Come To Be So Large? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (52) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by its22078: 12:17am On May 26, 2013
what does [/i] siebi[i] and [/i]ajum akwam iko [i] mean?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 12:25am On May 26, 2013
'Si ebi' is an incomplete sentence. I'm guessing its from the film "Ka Anyi Si Ebi". Translated, it means 'how we live'. 'Akwaa m iko' means 'I refuse to commit adultery'.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by its22078: 7:08pm On May 26, 2013
thanks. what does [/i]ofor[i] mean - its from the film 'Ofor na ogu'?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 4:48am On May 27, 2013
There are two definitions of 'Ofo':

'Ofo', in the first sense, (also known as 'ovo' and 'owho') is a twig from a tree. Although a mere twig, the ofo stands as the universal symbol of authority and righteousness in the Igbo cultures and forms the crux of religious beliefs of the Igbo peoples. Every authority has an Ofo tree from which the branches of the 'ofo' can be broken. These are often given to first-sons by their fathers, and the possessor of the Ofo tree is seen as the authoritative head of the family/ruling authority.

'Ofo' in the second sense means 'justice'. Among the Igbo there is the concept of 'Ofo na Ogu' which translates to 'justice and righteousness'. When two parties are squabbling and one claims to have possession of 'Ofo na Ogu' (justice and righteousness), they are claiming to be be innocent and just and are calling all the spirits and supernatural forces of the universe to defend them and back their case. For this reason, saying that one has 'Ofo na Ogu' is a very serious claim since it is essentially the equivalent of swearing to all supernatural forces that one is speaking the truth. However, when both parties claim to possess 'Ofo na Ogu', it becomes obvious that someone is lying and then ritual oath-taking gets involved...

I apologize for the long reply, but the concept of 'Ofo' is not something that is simple enough to lack detailed explanation.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by its22078: 2:52pm On Jun 03, 2013
thanks odumchi
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ifyalways(f): 4:10pm On Jun 04, 2013
Please,Yoruba brothers what does "olowole" mean?
Not oluwole oh, "olowole" and its a name too.
Ta in advance cheesy
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by igboboy1(m): 6:34pm On Jun 06, 2013
odumchi: There are two definitions of 'Ofo':

'Ofo', in the first sense, (also known as 'ovo' and 'owho') is a twig from a tree. Although a mere twig, the ofo stands as the universal symbol of authority and righteousness in the Igbo cultures and forms the crux of religious beliefs of the Igbo peoples. Every authority has an Ofo tree from which the branches of the 'ofo' can be broken. These are often given to first-sons by their fathers, and the possessor of the Ofo tree is seen as the authoritative head of the family/ruling authority.

'Ofo' in the second sense means 'justice'. Among the Igbo there is the concept of 'Ofo na Ogu' which translates to 'justice and righteousness'. When two parties are squabbling and one claims to have possession of 'Ofo na Ogu' (justice and righteousness), they are claiming to be be innocent and just and are calling all the spirits and supernatural forces of the universe to defend them and back their case. For this reason, saying that one has 'Ofo na Ogu' is a very serious claim since it is essentially the equivalent of swearing to all supernatural forces that one is speaking the truth. However, when both parties claim to possess 'Ofo na Ogu', it becomes obvious that someone is lying and then ritual oath-taking gets involved...

I apologize for the long reply, but the concept of 'Ofo' is not something that is simple enough to lack detailed explanation.
Damn you knowledge of igbo culture is deep....I am learning everyday here on NL and listening to igbo music.

Is ofo same as Offor?

In one of Kelly handsome's song he said "ejim offor/ofo" (not sure which spelling)...
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 2:54am On Jun 07, 2013
igbo boy:
Damn you knowledge of igbo culture is deep....I am learning everyday here on NL and listening to igbo music.

Is ofo same as Offor?

In one of Kelly handsome's song he said "ejim offor/ofo" (not sure which spelling)...

Yes, they are the same thing. 'Ofo' is an alternate spelling of 'Offor', just like 'Okafo' is an alternate spelling of 'Okafor'. The modern spelling is 'ofo'.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by igboboy1(m): 8:12am On Jun 07, 2013
odumchi:

Yes, they are the same thing. 'Ofo' is an alternate spelling of 'Offor', just like 'Okafo' is an alternate spelling of 'Okafor'. The modern spelling is 'ofo'.

cool. dalu
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by nellybigben: 8:48am On Jun 08, 2013
Tension in South East over MASSOB sit-at-home order

Palpable tension pervades the five states of the South East, following today’s sit-at-home order given by the Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB).

The pro-Biafran group had ordered all Igbo across the country and in Imo, Abia, Enugu, Ebonyi as well as Anambra states, to stay in their homes today, in protest of the killing of South easterners all over the country, especially in the North visit http://www.frankudokwu..com/ for more information

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by shaun1: 11:00pm On Jun 10, 2013
yeah, Olowole is a surname too. most people with this surname shortened it from a longer name (dont have examples), and they have a clear meaning.
However, there are some people whose surnames are just Olowole and to the best of my knowledge, the meaning of the name is not clear even to those who bear it. ,
ifyalways: Please,Yoruba brothers what does "olowole" mean?
Not oluwole oh, "olowole" and its a name too.
Ta in advance cheesy
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 5:49am On Jun 13, 2013
Nice one.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by naijacanada: 8:05pm On Jun 18, 2013
Hi I am from Canada conversing with Nigerian friends and am trying to learn Igbo and have signed up for courses....very hard to find a translation site on the internet for Igbo....could anyone tell me if you know of one please...also what does "ezigbo mgbede o ma nwa okan ni gba gbgbo " mean...Thank you
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by naijacanada: 9:14pm On Jun 18, 2013
[Hi I am from Canada conversing with Nigerian friends and am trying to learn Igbo and have signed up for courses....very hard to find a translation site on the internet for Igbo....could anyone tell me if you know of one please...also what does "ezigbo mgbede o ma nwa okan ni gba gbgbo " mean...Thank you smiley
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ifyalways(f): 10:05am On Jun 23, 2013
shaun1: yeah, Olowole is a surname too. most people with this surname shortened it from a longer name (dont have examples), and they have a clear meaning.
However, there are some people whose surnames are just Olowole and to the best of my knowledge, the meaning of the name is not clear even to those who bear it. ,
Thank you.
I have a friend with the surname and he does not know the meaning either.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ifyalways(f): 10:18am On Jun 23, 2013
naijacanada: [Hi I am from Canada conversing with Nigerian friends and am trying to learn Igbo and have signed up for courses....very hard to find a translation site on the internet for Igbo....could anyone tell me if you know of one please...also what does "ezigbo mgbede o ma nwa okan ni gba gbgbo " mean...Thank you smiley
I don't know about the translation websites bit so I'll only try to translate your phrase.
Ezigbo =good
Mgbede = evening
O ma nwa nka ni gba gbgbo = wrong spellings hence translation is almost impossible as meaning is lost.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by igboboy1(m): 7:25am On Jun 24, 2013
naijacanada: [Hi I am from Canada conversing with Nigerian friends and am trying to learn Igbo and have signed up for courses....very hard to find a translation site on the internet for Igbo....could anyone tell me if you know of one please...also what does "ezigbo mgbede o ma nwa okan ni gba gbgbo " mean...Thank you smiley

bolded sounds more yoruba than igbo...hey i am not a native/natural igbo speaker but cant make sense of the bolded

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by 9jakool: 6:04am On Jul 02, 2013
I'm new here..... In this world there is a lot of language borrowing and standardization in case of Latin and many European languages- for example goat in Yoruba is ewure and for Igbo is ewu
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 6:32pm On Jul 02, 2013
9jakool: I'm new here..... In this world there is a lot of language borrowing and standardization in case of Latin and many European languages- for example goat in Yoruba is ewure and for Igbo is ewu

Nothing is borrowed between the Igbo and Yoruba languages.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by igboboy1(m): 7:34pm On Jul 02, 2013
odumchi:

Nothing is borrowed between the Igbo and Yoruba languages.

leave am, when they see similarity, they start to insinuate.

How about I.K.E (IKE) , called eekay in igbo and I.k.E called Iyke in Yankee?

I guess Star wars borrowed Obi wan kenobi from igbos too smh...
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by macof(m): 7:55pm On Jul 08, 2013
Pls can anyone help me with the Yoruba word for:
Emotion(am thinking iwa-okun)
Greed
Hope
Physical
Representation/representative
Courage/determination
Fear(as in to be afraid of someone/something)
Hate

[i]Pls can anyone help me with the Yoruba word for:
Greed
Hope
Physical
Courage/determination
Hate

[/i]Pls can anyone help me with the Yoruba word for:
Greed
Hope
Physical
Courage/determination
Hate
And also is there any other name of colours cause I know ewe, pupa, dudu, awo, funfun.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by naijacanada: 3:52am On Jul 09, 2013
T
igbo boy:

bolded sounds more yoruba than igbo...hey i am not a native/natural igbo speaker but cant make sense of the bolded

Thank you for your help smiley
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by naijacanada: 3:56am On Jul 09, 2013
ifyalways: I don't know about the translation websites bit so I'll only try to translate your phrase.
Ezigbo =good
Mgbede = evening
O ma nwa nka ni gba gbgbo = wrong spellings hence translation is almost impossible as meaning is lost.

Thank you maybe it was misspelled through messenger when we type fast..... wink
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by 9jakool: 8:23pm On Jul 10, 2013
macof: Pls can anyone help me with the Yoruba word for:
Greed
Hope
Physical
Courage/determination
Hate

[i]Pls can anyone help me with the Yoruba word for:
Greed
Hope
Physical
Courage/determination
Hate

[/i]Pls can anyone help me with the Yoruba word for:
Greed
Hope
Physical
Courage/determination
Hate
And also is there any other name of colours cause I know ewe, pupa, dudu, awo, funfun.

Emotion= iwa okan or iwa inu
Greed= okanjua
Hope= ireti
Physical= taratara
Courage= igboya(opposite is ifoya)
Fear= iberu
Hate= ainife
Colour= awo
Red= pupa
White= funfun
Black= dudu
Blue= olomiaro
Yellow= ayanrin
Silver(colour)= ofefe
Silver(mineral)= fadaka
Orange= olomiosan
Green= ewe
smiley
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by macof(m): 5:07pm On Jul 15, 2013
9jakool:

Emotion= iwa okan or iwa inu
Greed= okanjua
Hope= ireti
Physical= taratara
Courage= igboya(opposite is ifoya)
Fear= iberu
Hate= ainife
Colour= awo
Red= pupa
White= funfun
Black= dudu
Blue= olomiaro
Yellow= ayanrin
Silver(colour)= ofefe
Silver(mineral)= fadaka
Orange= olomiosan
Green= ewe
smiley

Thanks a lot...you've been very helpful
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by 9jakool: 11:20pm On Jul 15, 2013
macof:

Thanks a lot...you've been very helpful

glad to help anytime
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by DNA1(f): 1:06pm On Jul 25, 2013
Hi guys...I am a writer on nairaland and i have a story to share. It is set in hausaland, and i dont understand hausa....so please i will be asking for help from this thread regularly...

Please someone should help me translate 'morning, noon and night' into hausa language..

Thanks
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Raheemabdusalam(m): 9:41am On Jul 26, 2013
Bi iya nla ba gbeni sanle kekere a gori eni
When we have been defeated by special predicament the minor one complicate
We are sovering of poverty, unemployment and many more
Government are talking of marriage.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by DNA1(f): 1:13pm On Jul 26, 2013
hello Any Hausa person in d house
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Krisbreezy(m): 11:39pm On Jul 26, 2013
My dear friends in NL, i am an ibo guy who wants to learn to speak and write yoruba very well. Please any good yoruba teacher around okota - isolo region should please contact me asap. krisbreezy433@yahoo.com
Cheers..
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by macof(m): 8:37pm On Jul 27, 2013
What is onijakadi? And what does it have to do with Yoruba warriors??

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (52) (Reply)

Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. / ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.