Stats: 3,153,601 members, 7,820,152 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:34 AM

65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO (13795 Views)

NYSC Rejects Illiterate Graduates Of Enugu University (ESUT) / 10 Signs You Only Went To School But An Illiterate / Rebecca Chinyelu-Chukwuanukwu (UNIZIK) Wins Unesco Prize In Geneva (2) (3) (4)

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by HungerBAD: 9:10am On Oct 02, 2015
BALLOSKI:
wailers have chronic amnesia and agnosia, their problem is beyond illiteracy.

Damn.

Oh boy you bad oh.

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by Nobody: 9:12am On Oct 02, 2015
ok....
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by blackfase(m): 9:18am On Oct 02, 2015
@ title, the single biggest drawback of a country a la Nigeria. When u hav an illiterate unenlightened citizenry on such scales, d country's growth & develooment will no doubt b retarded.
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by jmaine: 9:18am On Oct 02, 2015
HungerBAD:
I first said to myself, there is no way UNESCO can be right on this.

And then i logged on to Nairaland, and started reading all the write ups of Wailers, and i am like, you know what UNESCO?you might just be right on this one.

You need to do better than this, so far the APC hordes on this board have been nothing but intellectually boring, screaming "wailing wailer" whenever they meet a counter point greater than theirs.

The 97% of those who voted in this ultra slow admin will greatly make up this estimates if true.

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by Orikinla(m): 9:21am On Oct 02, 2015
Do you know that there are many illiterate drivers on Nigerian roads? Majority of them are Hausa and Yoruba drivers of trucks and public transport buses. Mukaila in Mushin in Lagos, does not even know road signs, but he is driving his "Danfo" bus everyday. The worst are the Hausa "Okada" motorcyclists in Lagos. They don't even know traffic lights and many silly people ride on their motorcycles and risking their lives daily. Both the illiterate Nigerians and majority of the literate ones have the same herd mentality. How can a literate Nigerian ride on a vehicle driven by an illiterate Nigerian who cannot read and write and does not know traffic signs and laws?
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by yomi007k(m): 9:29am On Oct 02, 2015
GodMode:

Too much sugar causes pile.. Soft drinks have a lot of sugar in them.. So they also cause pile..

It depends on the person's body and what triggers pile in that person's body..
U must be a typical yoruba man like my grand pops. grin.

Pile(haemorrhoids) is not caused by sugar, it is caused by low fibre in diet.

That means. Becos u eat plenty bread,eba,yam,(low fibre) and u don't eat fruits n vegetables (high fibre) u will have pile.

Use the internet

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by Laid2001: 9:31am On Oct 02, 2015
LITERACY is defined as the ability to read and write.
The term's meaning has been expanded to include the ability to use language, numbers, images and other means to understand and use the dominant symbol systems of a culture.

Literacy does not realy mean ability to speak good English. Once you can read and write in any language, you are presumed to be literate. It is sad enough that 65 million people in Nigeria can not read nor write in any language whatsoever.

Majority of the remaining more than 100 million people are also semi illiterate as demonstrated by people on this forum! I am most of the time ashamed of my fellow country men who make comments on this Nairaland forum!. One has to go through a lot of pains to read and understand many people on this forum.
I beg you all, especially the wailers, to please go to school and pay attention in the class for the sake of others who will be making efforts to read your posts and comments.

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by Nobody: 9:32am On Oct 02, 2015
dondemex:
So far they can speak their dialect, to me they're not illiterates

Another one.

Anyway i don't doubt this number at all.
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by ideykwum: 9:35am On Oct 02, 2015
Your comment typifies their assertion! Intellect and literacy are different!

Get literate!

khassy:
what's their source cus the didn't interview me abi dem interview anybody here to know if he intelligent or not undecidedundecided

in other news
Today's my mom's birthday

can I get some likes for her

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by ooshinibos: 9:47am On Oct 02, 2015
not surprise at all ..govt scrapped free education

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by Monalisa185(f): 9:58am On Oct 02, 2015
flokii:

at least you have one right?..
thank God for your life
and for your life too
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by Nobody: 9:59am On Oct 02, 2015
anonimi:
Thanks to the NEGLECT of education by APCheat leaders in particular such as Buhari.

See their poser boy here, always posting silly pictures which have no relevance to subject of discourse. Agbaya.

Happy birthday mzteemarh! kiss kiss

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by flokii: 10:27am On Oct 02, 2015
Monalisa185:

and for your life too
grin. no be fight na.. FReshh
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by wexyee: 10:38am On Oct 02, 2015
politricks:
Is 65 million same as 65%?.

Dont smoke mosquito coil again you wouldn't listen.
lol liv am nah. Na one of the ilitrate now
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by wexyee: 10:40am On Oct 02, 2015
Decibel:
Out of the 65%, North has 35%, SW has 25% while Eastern region has 5% in that order. The rating from UNESCO is based on certificate racketeering(Oluwole &Toronto) in the South West in addition to almajiri system in the North.#Fact
lol.. I don see one. Ilitrate. So 65 million is desame as 65%? This tread is about u.. Abeg go school biko
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by wexyee: 10:42am On Oct 02, 2015
Mprepz:
VERY TRUE☆ 95%→ Fulani and Muslims (abbokkis, mallams, truckpushers)

5%→ BUHARI
ilitrate alert!!
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by Chimoski87(m): 11:18am On Oct 02, 2015
politricks:

See this ITK(I Too Know). Better swerve before you bomb everybody here with your Illiteracy. What the man you are quoting said is statistically correct. If you have 65% of something divided into 3 parts of 35%, 25%, 5%, you can establish the actual numbers of its component parts provided the main figure is given. So North having 35%, South West having 25% and South East having 5% of the Illiteracy rate is precise.
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by tonychristopher: 11:33am On Oct 02, 2015
You are greater part of those 65 million

what the hell is wrong with people because you cant read and write English but you can read and write your native langauge...then ONE IDIOTIC OYIBO will call you ILLITERATE you belive him the same way those white monkey will say MUNGO PARK Discovered RIVER NIGER and LIVINGSTONE discovered Lake Victoria

So much for your education.....think , and think out of the box

Touchey:

You are part of the 65million smh....

this is it

illiteracy
[ih-lit-er-uh-see]
Spell Syllables
Examples Word Origin
noun, plural illiteracies for 3.
a lack of ability to read and write.
the state of being illiterate; lack of any or enough education.
a mistake in writing or speaking, felt to be characteristic of an illiterate or semiliterate person:
a letter that was full of illiteracies.
Origin of illiteracy Expand
1650-16601650-60; illiter(ate) + -acy
Related forms Expand
semi-illiteracy, noun

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/illiteracy

illiteracy
noun il·lit·er·a·cy \(ˌ)i(l)-ˈli-t(ə-)rə-sē\
: the state of not knowing how to read or write

: the state of not having knowledge about a particular subject

: a mistake that is made in the use of language : an illiterate statement or expression
Are you a trivia master? Test your
knowledge with our trivia game. »
plural il·lit·er·a·cies
Full Definition of ILLITERACY

: the quality or state of being illiterate; especially : inability to read or write
: a mistake or crudity (as in speaking) typical of one who is illiterate
See illiteracy defined for English-language learners
See illiteracy defined for kids
ADVERTISEMENT
Examples of ILLITERACY

the government's efforts to reduce illiteracy
His letters contain many misspellings and illiteracies.
Ask The Editor Videos

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/illiteracy

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by Monalisa185(f): 11:52am On Oct 02, 2015
flokii:

grin. no be fight na.. FReshh
fight ke? you be E-warrior??
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by Nobody: 12:06pm On Oct 02, 2015
uselessgoat:
MANY OF THEM ARE IGBOS. THAT'S WHY THEY WANT BIAFRA SO IGBO CAN BE THEIR NATIONAL LANGUAGE SINCE THEIR TONGUE IS TOO TWISTED WITH AKPU AND OGBONO SOUP undecidedWHICH MAKES ENGLISH SPEAKING SO HARD FOR THEM.

EVEN THEIR SUICIDE MISSION LEADER NNAMDI KANU PRONOUNCED OIL AS "OYEL" ON RADIO BIAFRA undecided

Are you alright?
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by notoriousbabe: 12:33pm On Oct 02, 2015
I knows 2 of them,vickyrotex and eleko1,they doesn't know books/read and write
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by notoriousbabe: 12:35pm On Oct 02, 2015
uselessgoat:
MANY OF THEM ARE IGBOS. THAT'S WHY THEY WANT BIAFRA SO IGBO CAN BE THEIR NATIONAL LANGUAGE SINCE THEIR TONGUE IS TOO TWISTED WITH AKPU AND OGBONO SOUP undecidedWHICH MAKES ENGLISH SPEAKING SO HARD FOR THEM.

EVEN THEIR SUICIDE MISSION LEADER NNAMDI KANU PRONOUNCED OIL AS "OYEL" ON RADIO BIAFRA undecided
hahahahahahahahahaah hegboe have suffered in your hand
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by Touchey: 12:39pm On Oct 02, 2015
tonychristopher:
You are greater part of those 65 million

what the hell is wrong with people because you cant read and write English but you can read and write your native langauge...then ONE IDIOTIC OYIBO will call you ILLITERATE you belive him the same way those white monkey will say MUNGO PARK Discovered RIVER NIGER and LIVINGSTONE discovered Lake Victoria

So much for your education.....think , and think out of the box

this is it

illiteracy
[ih-lit-er-uh-see]
Spell Syllables
Examples Word Origin
noun, plural illiteracies for 3.
a lack of ability to read and write.
the state of being illiterate; lack of any or enough education.
a mistake in writing or speaking, felt to be characteristic of an illiterate or semiliterate person:
a letter that was full of illiteracies.
Origin of illiteracy Expand
1650-16601650-60; illiter(ate) + -acy
Related forms Expand
semi-illiteracy, noun

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/illiteracy

illiteracy
noun il·lit·er·a·cy \(ˌ)i(l)-ˈli-t(ə-)rə-sē\
: the state of not knowing how to read or write

: the state of not having knowledge about a particular subject

: a mistake that is made in the use of language : an illiterate statement or expression
Are you a trivia master? Test your
knowledge with our trivia game. »
plural il·lit·er·a·cies
Full Definition of ILLITERACY

: the quality or state of being illiterate; especially : inability to read or write
: a mistake or crudity (as in speaking) typical of one who is illiterate
See illiteracy defined for English-language learners
See illiteracy defined for kids
ADVERTISEMENT
Examples of ILLITERACY

the government's efforts to reduce illiteracy
His letters contain many misspellings and illiteracies.
Ask The Editor Videos

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/illiteracy

you never said "lack" on your previous post. dummy!! go back and read it!
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by siaco(m): 12:57pm On Oct 02, 2015
Since Nigerians are used to illiterate leaders, y won't they v enough illiterate followers.
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by philiancoop(m): 1:03pm On Oct 02, 2015
Once I met an fulani man in a cab, we were travelling together and were seated next to each other. I was a bit afraid of these boko-looking guys, so I kept an eye on him. When he was to make a call i looked at his phone while he scrolled through his phonebook, I discovered the names were saved with digits. E.g. 55, 33, 325, 112 etc... This one na fulani coding system!

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by ginggerxy: 1:47pm On Oct 02, 2015
uselessgoat:

all this while wey i dey see you for nairaland i been think say you get sense cry
uselessgoat:

all this while wey i dey see you for nairaland i been think say you get sense
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by 3rdlegxxx(m): 2:55pm On Oct 02, 2015
politricks:

Damn! that was a KO (knock out)
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by EazyMoh(m): 3:08pm On Oct 02, 2015
Decibel:
Out of the 65%, North has 35%, SW has 25% while Eastern region has 5% in that order. The rating from UNESCO is based on certificate racketeering(Oluwole &Toronto) in the South West in addition to almajiri system in the North.#Fact
SMH! Which kind #fact? I'd have ignored your comment if not for the likes it had recieved. FYI Almajiri is not an illiterate, simply because he can read and write. Unless literacy has recieved a new definition to mean only boko.
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by MrEverest(m): 3:11pm On Oct 02, 2015
flokii:

i think it is east and south after north.. cos all they do is learn a trade, do business, engage in criminal activities and then to top it all.. prostitution in other pples land..

the west are d most educated.. no doubt
I bet you must be among the 65 million illiterates, since you have access to the internet, I implore you to do the following 1, Google the states/region in Nigeria with the highest enrollment rates into the universities in Nigeria. 2, Google the states with the highest jamb "cut off" marks for universities across Nigeria. 3, Google the states/region with the least out of school children in Nigeria. 4, Google the states/region that are required to score very high before they are admitted into the unity schools in Nigeria(you will see states like Anambra, Imo, Abia, Delta and Enugu). Google the state with the highest number of professors in Nigeria. Ignorance kills faster than boko haram. Since decades ago till date, the North has always been at the lowest ebb in every development index while S-west closely follows behind. If the South-east and South-south were to be a country, they would occupy the zenith of any development index in sub-Saharan Africa.

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by EazyMoh(m): 3:19pm On Oct 02, 2015
Bondesniger:
North 30%
South South 9%
South east 20%
South West 6%

Just don't crucify me
LOL! according to your analysis there more illiterate people in the south than in the North, thus:
North =30%
South (SW + SE + SS) = 9+20+6= 35%
OK thanks for the info.
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by Decibel: 4:05pm On Oct 02, 2015
teamchocolate:
See part of the illiteracy even having 27 likes from fellow illiterates... pls where did they talk about percentages.. they said 65 million people! How is 65 million people equal to 65%??

shocked shocked shocked

You are not a politician, if you are you would have read meaning into what I have typed above. There is a "proper" word for the above statement. Thanks.
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by favourlove1: 4:22pm On Oct 02, 2015
HungerBAD:
I first said to myself, there is no way UNESCO can be right on this.

And then i logged on to Nairaland, and started reading all the write ups of Wailers, and i am like, you know what UNESCO?you might just be right on this one.
you who is writing this is no less an illiterate than those you call names. Look inwards.

Stranded 42 Ebonyi State Phd Sponsored Students Protests At BBC HQ In Manchester / Atiku, Others Sign Petition To End ASUU Strike / JAMB: Police Smash Akwa Ibom Syndicate Attempting To Hack Website

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64