Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,555 members, 7,823,440 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:11 AM

What Odd Jobs Did You Do As Graduate Before You Got A Real Job? - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Odd Jobs Did You Do As Graduate Before You Got A Real Job? (26579 Views)

Be Honest Would You Accept This Kind Of Job As Graduate(see Salary) / How To Turn Your Internship Into A Real Job / Nairalanders: What Job Can I Do As An O'level Graduate Before Enteringuniversity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Odd Jobs Did You Do As Graduate Before You Got A Real Job? by Henrypraise: 2:22pm On Oct 02, 2015
1.) Jun-sept 2006-phone boot operator-2k per month

2.) Sept 2006-march 2007-learning mechanic work (wheel balancing n alignment)- 200naira per day, free learning n free transport

3.) August 2007- Sept 2010- offshore catering (kitchen helper, room attendant, laundry man- started Wit 18kk per month later increased to 65 n 78k afta many gbrege.

4.) Sept 2010- feb 2012- na dis tym I know say water wen touch prick go touch blokos. I hustle like mad here. Barbing saloon, electric fence, started pt tym sch, fight for company slot, video game store, fish pond, taxi driving, house agent, photography, street fighting, hired thuggery, ballot snatching (for only 3k chai) n many oda hustling.

5.) Feb 2012- till date- safety man, journey manager, authorise gas tester, first aider in a gud O n G coy, still pt tym student, opened my laundry n d hustling continues n still gunning for a better job.

Na God I go tank.

8 Likes

Re: What Odd Jobs Did You Do As Graduate Before You Got A Real Job? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Oct 02, 2015
BrBakreez:
I worked as Labourer, sales boy in a restaurant whose major customers are motorcyclists, some told me shit I never want to remember. Those are before my University days, as a graduate I work in a law that was more or less a cubicle of female lawyer who is ever smiling but made life difficult for me and my colleague, I had to resign because I know I have much more better to offer with my certificates, intellect and experience. I went to Channels TV where I passed their interview but was later told I was over qualified for the office I was to be employed even though it is for graduates, and that I may not stay too long before going back to advocacy where I actually fit in. The truth is the pay is very attractive and I really needed it then but since they turned me down I have to face working in a law firm that will give me time to make money that I had been dreaming to make as a young chap. The money is yet to come as much as I want though I have quite a good pay from my boss, am already seeing the signal because of the kind of clients who call me lately and I am proud to have made such bold decision. You may never understand what am talking about if you are not a young lawyer in Nigeria working for a senior counsel who wants to suck your brain dry. Thank God my boss is very understanding unlike many lawyers in town.

Pls what is the name of ur firm make i apply abeg.. I m a young lawyer too just called last year

2 Likes

Re: What Odd Jobs Did You Do As Graduate Before You Got A Real Job? by Nobody: 2:27pm On Oct 02, 2015
mzteemarh:
Lmao,you are not serious.
Don't distract my prospective suitors away from me o.
BTW, omo yoruba ni mi o swagger grin

Prospective suitors on nairaland, Good luck!

Thanks for denying me cry
Re: What Odd Jobs Did You Do As Graduate Before You Got A Real Job? by Zuris: 2:41pm On Oct 02, 2015
400billionman:

Were you a NEPA staff before you did that work. ?

On contract.
Re: What Odd Jobs Did You Do As Graduate Before You Got A Real Job? by Zuris: 2:43pm On Oct 02, 2015
sniper1305:
ah! Ur own beta my brother, I did dat job around 2005/2006 with no pay, jst normal normal 4 field w dey take survive. I almost shed tears weneva I remenba dos days

Eeyah. Its one of those things. You were attached yourself to a marketer.
Re: What Odd Jobs Did You Do As Graduate Before You Got A Real Job? by Nobody: 2:44pm On Oct 02, 2015
Odd jobs...sadly I be aje buta and so haven't done much.

Even used to sulk as a teen when my mother would order me to the market to help her sell in her shop.

But the closest I've gone is after NYSC doing video coverage as an apprentice and years later while in between jobs was a teaching assistant for a dude that holds chess tutorials at a couple of international secondary schools.
Re: What Odd Jobs Did You Do As Graduate Before You Got A Real Job? by sniper1305(m): 3:05pm On Oct 02, 2015
Zuris:

Eeyah. Its one of those things. You were attached yourself to a marketer.
bros na so buh man nor get choice na, wey man jst comot 4 kwarapoly dat time, wey man don work 4 electronics shops for #2500 pay tyr. Buh I thank Jah today sha
Re: What Odd Jobs Did You Do As Graduate Before You Got A Real Job? by adewhaleK(m): 3:06pm On Oct 02, 2015
#K_ayanfe; Guys its never easy out here byt thank God for he know how to fix us all up @ the right time.
I work in a secondary school were am been paid #20k/month, with extra lesson to make sure man survive all the test of time. Bigger opportunity awaits everyone of us soon

2 Likes

Re: What Odd Jobs Did You Do As Graduate Before You Got A Real Job? by BrBakreez(m): 3:07pm On Oct 02, 2015
Larryfly:

Pls what is the name of ur firm make i apply abeg.. I m a young lawyer too just called last year
Right now sir we don't have vacancy in my firm. May God provide a good office for you, I wish you the best in life as you face the challenges of the legal profession.

2 Likes

Re: What Odd Jobs Did You Do As Graduate Before You Got A Real Job? by detagabriel(m): 3:07pm On Oct 02, 2015
I taught in a private primary sch for just 10k...as a graduate in chemical engineering....is so painful.....waiting for a better job

1 Like

Re: What Odd Jobs Did You Do As Graduate Before You Got A Real Job? by niyidenrele: 3:11pm On Oct 02, 2015
it was very hectic,this are ma story ,.....I grad from university in 2010,with a third class ,cud not serve ,cos ba then ,I was 30yrs of age ,.....took up a teaching job in a school very close to ma house,...paid me unbelievable #7000,followed by another place with ,#12,000/month,followed by another place #18,000,a doctor in university of illorin,who deceive us and only pay part of our salaries,if not we fought,we may not v bn given anything,....Buh ,later went to a school,that pays me ,#15,000,with xo much wahala . . .....finally left d place ,to the present one ,of #18,000,to which many pipu told me that ,.. she will be good to us,ba paying our salaries in tym...forgot to say ,that along d way got a PTA teAching job ,in a government school ,buh we wa shown d exit door ,by d present government ,just because ,of d greediness of d principal .... looking to God ,for good & better working conditions jobs

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Odd Jobs Did You Do As Graduate Before You Got A Real Job? by Dapocomen03: 3:32pm On Oct 02, 2015
I produce and sell popcorn on market days.

1 Like

Re: What Odd Jobs Did You Do As Graduate Before You Got A Real Job? by femliany(m): 3:39pm On Oct 02, 2015
private school teacher 7k...site worker 30k ...trailer moto boy 15k-20k in a week.,salary Work Na Waste Of Time
Re: What Odd Jobs Did You Do As Graduate Before You Got A Real Job? by Nobody: 3:44pm On Oct 02, 2015
olukenzo:

Prospective suitors on nairaland, Good luck!

Thanks for denying me cry
I was only joking embarassed
Re: What Odd Jobs Did You Do As Graduate Before You Got A Real Job? by dramenda(f): 3:50pm On Oct 02, 2015
God bless everyone on this thread, life is never a bed of roses, and I know we all have stories to tell. Am praying to God on behalf of everyone looking up to him for one favor or the other, before we scream " happy new year" y'all stories will change in Jesus name.All you hard working Nigerian youth time and season will favor you.insha alha.

8 Likes

Re: What Odd Jobs Did You Do As Graduate Before You Got A Real Job? by sheyn5(m): 3:57pm On Oct 02, 2015
MadCow1:
Worked as a Labourer.. Cleaned houses under construction abroad for 20 dollars an Hour pay.

Worked as a Mini van Driver. Transporting Building materials from Shop to site and all..

I applied and begged for Security Guard jobs, Hotel Cleaner jobs, Shop attendant jobs, even Garbage disposal jobs.. But I was always over qualified. grin

I sacked myself and deported myself back to Nigeria after 1 year of that yeye life.

LLLLL

No Regrets.. cool
Lol...
Re: What Odd Jobs Did You Do As Graduate Before You Got A Real Job? by Nobody: 4:11pm On Oct 02, 2015
mzteemarh:
I was only joking embarassed

Kikiki. O be mii grin

I didn't take it personally though. Just been upto some other things.
Re: What Odd Jobs Did You Do As Graduate Before You Got A Real Job? by Chrisx1x(m): 4:24pm On Oct 02, 2015
After going through these comments am beginning to have to have an idea of what am to expect after school but i know i will never give up
Re: What Odd Jobs Did You Do As Graduate Before You Got A Real Job? by Nobody: 4:34pm On Oct 02, 2015
Chrisx1x:
After going through these comments am beginning to have to have an idea of what am to expect after school but i know i will never give up

Challenges will come and go man. Prepare as much as possible, just remember to stay strong. Tough situations don't last.

2 Likes

Re: What Odd Jobs Did You Do As Graduate Before You Got A Real Job? by kunzaar83(m): 4:37pm On Oct 02, 2015
freedom96:
he's not talking abt owning the car wash,being there as a worker.You wash the cars yourself.Can u get a 100k in a month by washing cars?
as a university graduate I don't expect him to continue working in a car wash even ifhe can't get, as a graduate I only expect him to work there for 1-3 months in order to gain the experience to start his own, I don't think owning a car wash is capital intensive.......... I have a friend that owns a very good laundry laundry b4 he got a job, and when he got the job he still gave the laundry to 1 of our friends too that is still jobless, this guy tells me that aAfter all expenses he still saves 50-80 monthly....... Being a graduate is nothing but being creative is the majnor issue

1 Like

Re: What Odd Jobs Did You Do As Graduate Before You Got A Real Job? by lexaydfg(m): 4:51pm On Oct 02, 2015
Immatex:
Laundry. After that I went to my Alma Mata to become a Lecturer assistant- a voluntary job. After which I did a 30k monthly analyst job with a big PH firm. While there I got my letter of appointment with a Foreign multinational where I currently work earning good pay but giving 100% of my time.

Abeg bros, connect to that PH firm.
Re: What Odd Jobs Did You Do As Graduate Before You Got A Real Job? by Toboski: 5:08pm On Oct 02, 2015
In my own case, after my NYSC, I was lucky to get a Toyota Corolla car as a gift from my elder sister which I immediately started using to do kabu kabu, it was not an easy experience because there were days when the police will stop me and collect almost all the money I made for one reason or the other and there were bad days when I made nothing. Thereafter, I got a casual job in a Company that is into satellite television as a store keeper, carrying decoders from point A to B all day, hiding from friends and school mates who already had good jobs and who come there to transact business because of the nature of the job... it was a pure labourers job. Seeing fellow graduates like you in the same Company being treated like kings while you are being treated like a nobody, fellow B.sc holders looking down on you and treating you as if you are not in their class. One day, I got fed up when someone disrespected me, and left the job, went into partnership with one of the decoder sellers and started selling decoders, also opened a video club by the side and was renting movies. After a while, the decoder business parked up and I had to sell off the video club because it could no longer pay the bills with the support of the decoder business. Went back to a full scale job search... finally secured a 45k a month paying marketing job with a very difficult MD as my direct boss, worked there for close to a year, had some disagreements with my boss and he asked me to resign. Thereafter, went without job for about 3 months before getting my current job in 2009 as the General Manager of the Company with a 6 figure pay and a 2005 Toyota Camry as an official car which the Company later wrote off to me and which I sold and bought a 2007 Camry. Still thanking God and looking forward to better days ahead. Such an inspiring thread. Keep hope alive and keep keepin'on.

10 Likes

Re: What Odd Jobs Did You Do As Graduate Before You Got A Real Job? by ogashman(m): 5:14pm On Oct 02, 2015
after secondary school I worked in a public toilet. na then I know say different type of shy.t deygrin
but now I'm in higher institution...Godwin

2 Likes

Re: What Odd Jobs Did You Do As Graduate Before You Got A Real Job? by doskie(m): 5:19pm On Oct 02, 2015
Drabeey:
Guys, that my own experience hennn, NA gbege.
I applied to a hotel around the ibeju lekki side and was told I will start from being a casual worker for 2 weeks and when they employ me I will work for 2 weeks without pay.
I took the job in good faith.
I was made too work at the house keeping for 9days after which I was transferred to works, where they repair all plumbing faults. tis isn't a palatable experience at all. expectially a girl who terrorize my life for me in the house keeping department. This girl cannot speak "I am coming back" she's always using the native language with a very chronic deep ijebu dialect. yet she would order me like I was nothing, like she created my destiny. That girl was very rude ooo. she made me saw hell. she once told me I would wash 60 bed spread and 20 duvet when the washing machine got faulty. I wan die. but all die NA die, NA hin I change am ooo. before I was left alone. at the end of the whole thing the pay was 20k minus tax and staff levy, I was left with 17600 at the end of every month and yes I got my new work from there through a rich guest who hooked me up with this new job. I thank God for my life , although I'm not comfortable with the work I found now but Alliamdulilahi, I am managing. U fit thank God for me with like nah, yes ,if u mean well for.me and also expecting a miracle in your life before the end of the year. hit like jare....
you dey use like chop bread?

1 Like

Re: What Odd Jobs Did You Do As Graduate Before You Got A Real Job? by Lobolintin(m): 5:21pm On Oct 02, 2015
Hmmmmmmm....
Hmmmmmmm......
Hmmmmmmm.....

I comment I reserve .....worked in Hotel...
And I was the GM of my old woman Shop then.......
Open a private firm for myself after grad, had to fold due to service year..mismanagement from all parties ...

And hoping on God for greater height as am passing out in two weeks time from NYSc
Re: What Odd Jobs Did You Do As Graduate Before You Got A Real Job? by doskie(m): 5:23pm On Oct 02, 2015
olukenzo:

Challenges will come and go man. Prepare as much as possible, just remember to stay strong. Tough situations don't last.
pray to God ooo ooo. .....

no be beans...
mmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnn.
not by power baba.
Re: What Odd Jobs Did You Do As Graduate Before You Got A Real Job? by doskie(m): 5:36pm On Oct 02, 2015
applied to a company as a driver.

drove from lagos to benin to ilorin to only God knows where again.

was paid 20k.

I shed tears on some days cos of the treatment I got from my boss who never stopped broadcasting the news that im a graduate to whoever could understand the meaning. electrical for that matter

I remember the day his 6year old child asked me.. "uncle what will you become in the future when he heard I attended a university" I was like Goddddd........ what is the meaning of future. ... and what is the answer to this question.

im so grateful to Allah for bringing me to where I am today. a job I didnt apply for. a friend just called me and said send me your cv.

Alhamdullillah today... I think about my past and it encourages me to treat people kindly because we never know the destinies of people. and help the needy. show mercy to whoever is under you. and when you have money... dont forget your street brodaz. cos you dont know if you will fall again and need their help along the way.

dont be tight handed. give! provision comes from Allah swt.

7 Likes

Re: What Odd Jobs Did You Do As Graduate Before You Got A Real Job? by ggirl4real: 5:36pm On Oct 02, 2015
...Passing out on 15th October... God please take control

Thoughts of getting a job is driving me crazy....

Everybody don add finish for this service year. Too much thinking of life after service no gree make I add shicom...

God please as I will be applying for Graduate Assistant in my department as I'm going back...Let it work out for me please...

1 Like

Re: What Odd Jobs Did You Do As Graduate Before You Got A Real Job? by kentochi(m): 6:14pm On Oct 02, 2015
Have to read from 1st page to here
Thanks to the OP and you guys that kEep this thread real.
During my Nd days I own phone boot later add provision to it in my school hostel
IT year I ride bike OKADA
During my HND I open boutique which I sold out during my NYSC last year
Use the money to start Laptop and phone importation from USA
Lost all my Money to business partner in USA and a nairalander by name Lagtech
Doing online Registration for New student in my school Auchi poly.
Street life is not beans guys!

1 Like

Re: What Odd Jobs Did You Do As Graduate Before You Got A Real Job? by Davidolives(m): 6:15pm On Oct 02, 2015
I hawked on the highway after servicd not long I got a job at a Telecom Chinese in few months I got a better pay at another place twice the Chinese brand after some months i got another one that was 4times better than this one but i no go because i get masters and jumping around is not good for my reputation. Thanks to God
Re: What Odd Jobs Did You Do As Graduate Before You Got A Real Job? by Davidolives(m): 6:16pm On Oct 02, 2015
kentochi:
Have to read from 1st page to here
Thanks to the OP and you guys that kEep this thread real.
During my Nd days I own phone boot later add provision to it in my school hostel
IT year I ride bike OKADA
During my HND I open boutique which I sold out during my NYSC last year
Use the money to start Laptop and phone importation from USA
Lost all my Money to business partner in USA and a nairalander by name Lagtech
Doing online Registration for New student in my school Auchi poly.
Street life is not beans guys!
so sorry about your loss bro, you will b restored

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

CRAZY Things You Did While Hunting For Job After NYSC / Federal Ministry Of Water Resources Port Harcourt Recruitment (Apply Now) / Phillips Outsourcing Invitation For Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.