Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,001 members, 7,838,515 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:24 AM

NASS Planning Immunity Laws For Senate President, Speaker, CJN - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NASS Planning Immunity Laws For Senate President, Speaker, CJN (20795 Views)

The Qualifications For Contesting For Senate & House Of Representatives / "Patience Jonathan To Run For Senate In 2019" - @JajaPhD / Proposed Immunity For Senate President, Speaker Etal: Dead On Arrival (DOA) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NASS Planning Immunity Laws For Senate President, Speaker, CJN by bashydemy(m): 12:15pm On Oct 05, 2015
chukwudi44:

Ode a bill will have to be introduced to the floor of the senate proposing the amendment!!! Go and find out what a bill means
Now am getting tired of this your nonsense, Like i said immunity is not a bill but trying to amend constitution..
Re: NASS Planning Immunity Laws For Senate President, Speaker, CJN by 989900: 12:16pm On Oct 05, 2015
modath:

They will continue to mess with us till we actually take our destinies into our hands & march to the NASS to show them our collective will as a nation...

We will continue to live like slaves to them, until we do the above.

The earlier we do, the better.
Re: NASS Planning Immunity Laws For Senate President, Speaker, CJN by meforyou1(m): 12:26pm On Oct 05, 2015
Ioannes:
I guarantee the President won't sign that.
national assembly can pass it into law if the president doesnt sign after 30 days
Re: NASS Planning Immunity Laws For Senate President, Speaker, CJN by Nobody: 1:52pm On Oct 05, 2015
meforyou1:
national assembly can pass it into law if the president doesnt sign after 30 days
not so sure about that. we are talking about constitution amendment here. I stand corrected though.
Re: NASS Planning Immunity Laws For Senate President, Speaker, CJN by meforyou1(m): 2:03pm On Oct 05, 2015
Ioannes:

not so sure about that. we are talking about constitution amendment here. I stand corrected though.
talking of bills. dont know the processes for constitutional amendment
Re: NASS Planning Immunity Laws For Senate President, Speaker, CJN by Nobody: 2:11pm On Oct 05, 2015
meforyou1:
talking of bills. dont know the processes for constitutional amendment

bills to amend a section of the constitution has to be accented to by the President. to give immunity to these people will be an amendment of the section that gives immunity only to the executives. just my thought, am not a lawyer anyway.
Re: NASS Planning Immunity Laws For Senate President, Speaker, CJN by softvio(m): 2:36pm On Oct 05, 2015
chukwudi44:

Which yeye masses!! Count me out!!! Since the president has chosen to abuse his powers he needs to be taught some lessons!! Immunity for the NASS leadership is better than having a rubber stamp legislature which can easily be intimidated and made to dance to the whims and caprices of the executive!!

well, first of all am of the opinion that the immunity giving to the gov, dep gov, president and VP should be strapped. But if they can't strap the immunity from the executive arm, that directly control the treasury and other institutions, such as CBN and the rest. Then they should give the legislature heads immunity...cus i don't a SP has a direct link to the CBN and the rest... Those crying blue murder must first call for the removal of the president immunity
Re: NASS Planning Immunity Laws For Senate President, Speaker, CJN by Nobody: 2:50pm On Oct 05, 2015
we all know that the reason amendment bill is coming up now is a ploy to save saraki from being ousted. he will be untouchable if he has immunity.

I find it funny though that since this National Assembly has been inaugurated, they haven't done anything tangible. I wonder How many bills they have passed to help the common man on-the-job streets.
Re: NASS Planning Immunity Laws For Senate President, Speaker, CJN by 2n2k(m): 3:30pm On Oct 05, 2015
chukwudi44:

There is nothing like amandment!!! Immunity for the NASS leadership was not existing before so there is nothing to amend here!! The bill only needs to be passed by 2/3 of the NASS for it to become law.If the president witholds assent,his veto can be overridden by 2/3 majority of the NASS

Was financial autonomy for National Assembly existing before the Constitution Amendment 2011 inserted it?
Why did National Assembly go through the process of alteration of the constitution then to get it?
Why did State assemblies reject financial autonomy for themselves during the process even though the bill already passed by National Assembly contained it before sending it to them for concurrence?

Be informed (if you are not joking) that anything not in the constitution as at 29th of May 1999 that is to be subsequently inserted, modified, corrected, amended, removed, or annulled is an alteration to the constitution. National Assembly cannot by an Act confer immunity on its officials because it reduces the powers and juridiction which the constitution granted to the Judiciary which is a separate arm of government otherwise, the court will declare it unconstitutional and void.

1 Like

Re: NASS Planning Immunity Laws For Senate President, Speaker, CJN by kelabok(m): 5:21pm On Oct 05, 2015
The president does not need to accent to a bill before it becomes law. Pls note that;when a bill is passed by the legislature, such a bill is submitted to the president for his accent. If he fails to sign or communicate to the house as to the reason that necessitated his refusal to do so in 30 working days, the bill will still be passed into law without the presidents signature if 2/3 majority votes in favor of the bill.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Regional Security: South East Governors Meet With IGP In Enugu / Ubah To Buhari: Remove Fuel Subsidy, Probe Those Behind Shutdown / Akpabio Condemns The Killing Of Eunice Olawale In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.