Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,820 members, 7,817,395 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:28 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (323504 Views)

U.S. Immigration Crackdown, ICE Arrest Over 140 Workers At A Beef Plant(Pics) / See Reason Why A US Consular Refused To Grant Visa / Ask A Pilot... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (96) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 8:31am On Jan 22, 2016
sharlorhm:
Good morning Sir, after my interview, l was not given an orange paper which states "Original and civil documents", is it neccessary for me to have? I didnt know until a friend of mine who had his interview after mine told he he was given.Please Sir, how do l obtain mine Sir?

No, this is just a piece of meaningless orange paper.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by DipoDee: 8:38am On Jan 22, 2016
LagosNIV:

Hello.
Pls, what is the procedure for taking one's grandson who is 5yrs old to the USA? I'm asking on behalf of a friend who got her visa last year(but yet to get her Green card or social security number) and wants to come back to take her grandson with her this March.

Can she file a petition for the boy?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 9:56am On Jan 22, 2016
DipoDee:

Hello.
Pls, what is the procedure for taking one's grandson who is 5yrs old to the USA? I'm asking on behalf of a friend who got her visa last year(but yet to get her Green card or social security number) and wants to come back to take her grandson with her this March.

Can she file a petition for the boy?

You have to have a qualifying relationship to petition for someone - grandchild does not qualify.

You can learn more here: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate.html
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by auschris: 10:21am On Jan 22, 2016
LagosNIV:

I believe my previous answer was very clear. If you believe you know the answer then there is no need to ask the question.
If I answer your question with specific information, it is because that is what we accept at the Consulate.
Thanks @LagosNIV
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by sharlorhm(m): 10:30am On Jan 22, 2016
LagosNIV:

Thank you Sir grin
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by DipoDee: 11:12am On Jan 22, 2016
LagosNIV:

You have to have a qualifying relationship to petition for someone - grandchild does not qualify.

You can learn more here: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate.html

Thanks. Link seen and understood.
Guess a visit visa would suffice for the child.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 11:53am On Jan 22, 2016
DipoDee:

Thanks. Link seen and understood.
Guess a visit visa would suffice for the child.
Only if the child will be there for less than 6 months, and as a tourist. Once you start going to school in the US or staying past 6 months, it falls under the criteria for an immigrant visa.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by steryville(m): 2:29pm On Jan 22, 2016
I would advise him to tell the truth, but that's what I always advise. That fact that he previously lied has already damaged his credibility and greatly increases the chances that his visa for his genuine purpose will be revoked.

Yes. Tell the truth. The sooner you start telling the truth the sooner we can move forward.

Thanks for your quoted response above but please will it mean he will have to apply for a waiver and and in such case do you have an idea of how long it might take for him to re-file.thank VO,u have been helpful.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Tosh101: 3:53pm On Jan 22, 2016
Hello VO, I had my interview yesterday 1/21/2016 and was granted the immigrant visa to join my wife in the USA. The Co said I should pick up the visa next week and he gave me the pick up letter and also the paper instructing me to pay $165 for processing and green card. After the interview he said I can go I got home and I realized he didn't take my finger print at any point during the interview and no one did that at the embassy. I have emailed to confirm if everything is okay. Am just anxious to know if I will have to go back and do the finger print or it is not compulsory. I am 33 years old and am not a diplomat or in any of the category they wave finger printing for. Thanks for your attention and help on this issue.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jan 22, 2016
We have additional information. We have enough to give and as the petitioner I can answer any questions. I am a US CITIZEN and it's my right to file for my immediate family. Can my Husband go to Lagos and give them more poofs. He stated that the CO kept all our communication logs and asked for his name on Facebook. His birthday is Feb 15 we really would love to be together by then.
Thanks for your time in responding.

If additional information was requested, you should provide that as soon as possible. Otherwise there is nothing you can do about administrative processing. This is an administrative procedure that we have to complete on our end and we have simply advised you to inform you that there may be some delays.[/quote]
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by DipoDee: 11:13pm On Jan 22, 2016
LagosNIV:

Only if the child will be there for less than 6 months, and as a tourist. Once you start going to school in the US or staying past 6 months, it falls under the criteria for an immigrant visa.

The child is an orphan and my friend used to care for him before she got her immigrant visa. She hasn't been resting easy since she left Naija and always asking how she can petition for the child to come live with her.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by usrun: 11:47pm On Jan 23, 2016
Hi. I'm a US green card holder. But I had my education in Canada even before the acquisition of the green card. Therefore I have three years work permit in Canada (not a permanent resident or citizenship yet). I have an employment offer in Canada which I will want to accept. Please will the acceptance of the offer nullify my green card or even affect my change of acquiring US citizenship? I have no plan to live permanently in Canada. It just for the practical experience for about 6 months which may help me secure a good job in US. Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Tosh101: 3:29pm On Jan 24, 2016
Hello VO, I had my interview yesterday 1/21/2016 and was granted the immigrant visa to join my wife in the USA. The Co said I should pick up the visa next week and he gave me the pick up letter and also the paper instructing me to pay $165 for processing and green card. After the interview he said I can go I got home and I realized he didn't take my finger print at any point during the interview and no one did that at the embassy. I have emailed to confirm if everything is okay. Am just anxious to know if I will have to go back and do the finger print or it is not compulsory. I am 33 years old and am not a diplomat or in any of the category they wave finger printing for. Thanks for your attention and help on this issue.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by boo4u: 4:39pm On Jan 24, 2016
hello VO, how are you doing? I have been arrested once in the UK during one of my visits to the UK on a tourist visa (I have never lived in the UK) but was only cautioned, I would like to declare it on my ds 160 form since it says even tho one was pardoned we still have to answer yes to the question, I see on the form a part that shows explain. is the explanation alone enough or do I need to obtain some kind of documents from UK, If yes, what are the documents I would be needing? thanks in anticipation.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 5:56am On Jan 25, 2016
Tosh101:

If they need your fingerprints, they will call you back.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 5:58am On Jan 25, 2016
Lizypumping:
We have additional information. We have enough to give and as the petitioner I can answer any questions. I am a US CITIZEN and it's my right to file for my immediate family. Can my Husband go to Lagos and give them more poofs. He stated that the CO kept all our communication logs and asked for his name on Facebook. His birthday is Feb 15 we really would love to be together by then.
Thanks for your time in responding.

If additional information was requested, you should provide that as soon as possible. Otherwise there is nothing you can do about administrative processing. This is an administrative procedure that we have to complete on our end and we have simply advised you to inform you that there may be some delays.

Like I said, if additional information was requested then provide it as soon as possible so that they can begin processing it. I don't understand what your question is at this point...
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 5:59am On Jan 25, 2016
DipoDee:

The child is an orphan and my friend used to care for him before she got her immigrant visa. She hasn't been resting easy since she left Naija and always asking how she can petition for the child to come live with her.

As I've already mentioned, this child does not meet the criteria for an immigrant visa.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 6:00am On Jan 25, 2016
usrun:
Hi. I'm a US green card holder. But I had my education in Canada even before the acquisition of the green card. Therefore I have three years work permit in Canada (not a permanent resident or citizenship yet). I have an employment offer in Canada which I will want to accept. Please will the acceptance of the offer nullify my green card or even affect my change of acquiring US citizenship? I have no plan to live permanently in Canada. It just for the practical experience for about 6 months which may help me secure a good job in US. Thanks.

The terms of your permanent residence status require that you spend the majority of your time in the United States.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 6:01am On Jan 25, 2016
boo4u:
hello VO, how are you doing? I have been arrested once in the UK during one of my visits to the UK on a tourist visa (I have never lived in the UK) but was only cautioned, I would like to declare it on my ds 160 form since it says even tho one was pardoned we still have to answer yes to the question, I see on the form a part that shows explain. is the explanation alone enough or do I need to obtain some kind of documents from UK, If yes, what are the documents I would be needing? thanks in anticipation.

This doesn't sound like an immigrant visa question - you don't fill out a DS-160 for immigration purposes.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Tosh101: 6:08am On Jan 25, 2016
LagosNIV:

If they need your fingerprints, they will call you back.
Thank you so much. I will just keep my contact number open and await their call. Meanwhile, I want to know how long it will take before I can check the status of my passport. as at today it says no information yet about the passport. I submitted on 01/21/2016. Thanks VO. I checked all through the weekend for your response. GLAD I GOT IT TODAY
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 6:20am On Jan 25, 2016
Dear Immigration Officer,

My dad applied for my immigrant visa as an unmarried daughter. My interview is in couple of weeks time and I also happen to find out am pregnant. Will this raise any issues. Would greatly appreciate your feedback. Kind regards
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 6:41am On Jan 25, 2016
Tosh101:

Thank you so much. I will just keep my contact number open and await their call. Meanwhile, I want to know how long it will take before I can check the status of my passport. as at today it says no information yet about the passport. I submitted on 01/21/2016. Thanks VO. I checked all through the weekend for your response. GLAD I GOT IT TODAY

10 business days.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 6:42am On Jan 25, 2016
kemioke1:
Dear Immigration Officer,

My dad applied for my immigrant visa as an unmarried daughter. My interview is in couple of weeks time and I also happen to find out am pregnant. Will this raise any issues. Would greatly appreciate your feedback. Kind regards

Why would this cause issues? Just be honest during your interview to avoid any issues.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by boo4u: 7:41am On Jan 25, 2016
LagosNIV:

This doesn't sound like an immigrant visa question - you don't fill out a DS-160 for immigration purposes.

Ok. Whatever form it is one has to fill, I'm asking based on immigration purpose. Your reply would be very much appreciated. Thank you,
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:47am On Jan 25, 2016
boo4u:

Ok. Whatever form it is one has to fill, I'm asking based on immigration purpose. Your reply would be very much appreciated. Thank you,

Bring any and all court or arrest documents that you have related to the incident. If more are needed, we will ask you to bring them in and won't be able to move forward until you do.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by boo4u: 7:57am On Jan 25, 2016
LagosNIV:

Bring any and all court or arrest documents that you have related to the incident. If more are needed, we will ask you to bring them in and won't be able to move forward until you do.

Thank you for your prompt reply VO, I appreciate. here comes the problem, I do not have any document with regards the incident since I didn't even in any way go to the court for any reason.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 8:24am On Jan 25, 2016
They never asked for additional information. However, the CO has our communication logs and My husband's Facebook name
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 8:26am On Jan 25, 2016
The CO didn't ask my husband to bring any more information. She has our chat logs and husband Facebook name. That is why I do not understand why we placed on AP.
Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 8:53am On Jan 25, 2016
LagosNIV:

Like I said, if additional information was requested then provide it as soon as possible so that they can begin processing it. I don't understand what your question is at this point...

They never asked for additional information. However, the CO has our communication logs and My husband's Facebook name. That is why I don't understand the AP yet.
I just learnt how to quote someone properly smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Badgers14: 9:31am On Jan 25, 2016
Greetings,

Thank you sir for your assistance in giving a listening ears to our concerns

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (96)

Need Help With Direction / Which Country In Africa Has The Most Beautiful Women? / General German Work And Family Re-union Visa Enquiries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.