Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,901 members, 7,817,663 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:41 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (323533 Views)

U.S. Immigration Crackdown, ICE Arrest Over 140 Workers At A Beef Plant(Pics) / See Reason Why A US Consular Refused To Grant Visa / Ask A Pilot... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (96) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 10:33am On Jan 25, 2016
Lizypumping:

They never asked for additional information. However, the CO has our communication logs and My husband's Facebook name. That is why I don't understand the AP yet.
I just learnt how to quote someone properly smiley

Admin processing just means that there is some work that has to be done on our end - it could be for any number of reasons. At this point you just need to be patient. If you haven't heard anything after 60 days regarding the administrative processing, then you can contact the Consulate for an update.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 10:57am On Jan 25, 2016
LagosNIV:

Admin processing just means that there is some work that has to be done on our end - it could be for any number of reasons. At this point you just need to be patient. If you haven't heard anything after 60 days regarding the administrative processing, then you can contact the Consulate for an update.

Ok thank you abundantly. God bless America
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by usrun: 11:51am On Jan 25, 2016
usrun:
Hi. I'm a US green card holder. But I had my education in Canada even before the acquisition of the green card. Therefore I have three years work permit in Canada (not a permanent resident or citizenship yet). I have an employment offer in Canada which I will want to accept. Please will the acceptance of the offer nullify my green card or even affect my change of acquiring US citizenship? I have no plan to live permanently in Canada. It just for the practical experience for about 6 months which may help me secure a good job in US. Thanks.

The terms of your permanent residence status require that you spend the majority of your time in the United States.

Thanks for your response. Please can the terms of my permanent residence status permit me to work outside US at all even for four to five months? The employment is close to the border so I can live in US while working in Canada for the short period
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jan 25, 2016
usrun:

Thanks for your response. Please can the terms of my permanent residence status permit me to work outside US at all even for four to five months? The employment is close to the border so I can live in US while working in Canada for the short period

This question is best directed to USCIS.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by boo4u: 2:10pm On Jan 25, 2016
boo4u:

Thank you for your prompt reply VO, I appreciate. here comes the problem, I do not have any document with regards the incident since I didn't even in any way go to the court for any reason.

Please VO what do I do with regards the situation.

Thank you sir
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jan 25, 2016
boo4u:

Please VO what do I do with regards the situation.

Thank you sir

Let me answer this question again, with the emphasis on a different set of words.

Bring any and all court or arrest documents that you have related to the incident. If more are needed, we will ask you to bring them in and won't be able to move forward until you do.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jan 25, 2016
Good day VO,
My sister is who is a US citizen would like to file in for my mum and two of her siblings who is 16 and 18years of age. The question is, does she have to file in for her siblings separately or when filling the form for her mum she includes them? Also, how long does the whole process takes as she just procured her citizenship. Thank You
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:54pm On Jan 25, 2016
LagosNIV:

I forgot to ask that why wasn't my husband int'l passport not collected? Does he have to go back for another interview or he will be asked to submit/drop off his passport?
TY
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 6:42am On Jan 26, 2016
sherryshitt:
Good day VO,
My sister is who is a US citizen would like to file in for my mum and two of her siblings who is 16 and 18years of age. The question is, does she have to file in for her siblings separately or when filling the form for her mum she includes them? Also, how long does the whole process takes as she just procured her citizenship. Thank You

The process varies in length by visa class. Her sisters won't be in the same class as your mother, and they are all filed on separate petitions.

You can visit the following website for more information: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate.html
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 6:44am On Jan 26, 2016
Lizypumping:

I forgot to ask that why wasn't my husband int'l passport not collected? Does he have to go back for another interview or he will be asked to submit/drop off his passport?
TY

We don't keep passports for anyone who is in administrative processing. When administrative processing is completed, he will be contacted to drop off his passport or come in for another interview, as determined at that time.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Tosh101: 10:17am On Jan 26, 2016
Dear VO, Is It possible that my fingerprint is not needed? Since no one have contacted me about this, should I be worried? If I pick up my visa without this, do you think it's okay to travel like that without returning back to the consulate? I just want to be sure of what to do .The articles I read online are confusing, some said it's not necessary since I will be fingerprinted at the POE while some said it is needed as security features on the immigrant visa. Please enlighten me. Thank you once again and enjoy your day
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 11:20am On Jan 26, 2016
Tosh101:
Dear VO, Is It possible that my fingerprint is not needed? Since no one have contacted me about this, should I be worried? If I pick up my visa without this, do you think it's okay to travel like that without returning back to the consulate? I just want to be sure of what to do .The articles I read online are confusing, some said it's not necessary since I will be fingerprinted at the POE while some said it is needed as security features on the immigrant visa. Please enlighten me. Thank you once again and enjoy your day

Your fingerprints are required to be on file before we are able to print the visa. If they are needed, you will be called, if you have your visa, then maybe you just forgot that you gave us your fingerprints.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by tunde(m): 11:36am On Jan 26, 2016
good morning , i have a valid US visa that will expire by Febuary ending but my fear is that i have not used the VISA at all because my office did not grant my annual leave and by the time its was approved this year the exchange rate is so alarming. although my wife used her own and also delivered our baby in America last year. so please what my chances if i have to apply again? or do u suggest i make good use of this one now. please advise.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by tunde(m): 11:37am On Jan 26, 2016
good morning , i have a valid US visa that will expire by February ending but my fear is that i have not used the VISA at all because my office did not grant my annual leave and by the time its was approved this year the exchange rate is so alarming. although my wife used her own and also delivered our baby in America last year. so please what my chances if i have to apply again? or do u suggest i make good use of this one now. please advise.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jan 26, 2016
LagosNIV:

The process varies in length by visa class. Her sisters won't be in the same class as your mother, and they are all filed on separate petitions.

You can visit the following website for more information: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate.html
Thank You sir
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by olawoyino: 12:21pm On Jan 26, 2016
please i won America visa lottery some year ago unfortunately i was not called for interview. please is it anything that i can still do to try my lucky? Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 12:53pm On Jan 26, 2016
olawoyino:
please i won America visa lottery some year ago unfortunately i was not called for interview. please is it anything that i can still do to try my lucky? Thanks

No, there is no more visa lottery for Nigeria.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Tosh101: 2:53pm On Jan 26, 2016
LagosNIV:

Your fingerprints are required to be on file before we are able to print the visa. If they are needed, you will be called, if you have your visa, then maybe you just forgot that you gave us your fingerprints.
Thanks VO, It was like the spirit working together. I just got an email from the consulate asking me to return for oath taking and fingerprint. They stated in the email that I should wait for another email that will tell me the date and time to come. Since this is all that was stated and my visa interview was approved do I need to come again with all my document as I did for interview or just come with my fingers? I just hope they invite me to do that this week since until after the fingerprint and oath before the visa will be issued. any idea of time duration before am invited again? Thanks for your patience here.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by vicky71: 8:13am On Jan 27, 2016
Good morning sir.
Please sir I need some clarifications about what to bring for my interview because am totally confused. My elder sister of the same parents and first of my mother’s 7 children who’s a US citizen petitioned for me and it’s approved.
In the course of my research on what to do next, I found this Packet 4 and it was stated therein that;
“If your visa application is based on a relationship with a child, parent, or sibling you may wish to bring any or all of the following to you visa interview:

• Photographs taken over a period of years of yourself and your relative together.
• Letters with envelopes and post marks exchanged between yourself and your relative.
• A certified copy of your relative’s passport showing the picture page, biographic data page, and with stamps indicating travel between Nigeria and the United States.

Letters and photographs provided in support of your visa applicant should cover a period of several years; preferably before your petition was filed. The more letters and photographs you can
provide, the stronger your case will be.”

Now my problem is;

• My sister and I didn't have pictures together except maybe 1 or 2 that we took during our grandmother's burial which had all the 7 children of our mother. We never thought of having group pictures even when my younger sister got married and our elder sister came along with her first child we never took any picture together.

• We never exchanged letters all this while because there's telephone and whenever she wants to talk or pass any message across, she called or chat on Facebook. So we never had any opportunity of exchanging letters.

Now my question is,
1. Is it mandatory one should have the pictures and letters?
2. If her original US Passport or certified copy is sent will it be okay to cover for the pictures and letters?
Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 8:52am On Jan 27, 2016
vicky71:
Good morning sir.
Please sir I need some clarifications about what to bring for my interview because am totally confused. My elder sister of the same parents and first of my mother’s 7 children who’s a US citizen petitioned for me and it’s approved.
In the course of my research on what to do next, I found this Packet 4 and it was stated therein that;
“If your visa application is based on a relationship with a child, parent, or sibling you may wish to bring any or all of the following to you visa interview:

• Photographs taken over a period of years of yourself and your relative together.
• Letters with envelopes and post marks exchanged between yourself and your relative.
• A certified copy of your relative’s passport showing the picture page, biographic data page, and with stamps indicating travel between Nigeria and the United States.

Letters and photographs provided in support of your visa applicant should cover a period of several years; preferably before your petition was filed. The more letters and photographs you can
provide, the stronger your case will be.”

Now my problem is;

• My sister and I didn't have pictures together except maybe 1 or 2 that we took during our grandmother's burial which had all the 7 children of our mother. We never thought of having group pictures even when my younger sister got married and our elder sister came along with her first child we never took any picture together.

• We never exchanged letters all this while because there's telephone and whenever she wants to talk or pass any message across, she called or chat on Facebook. So we never had any opportunity of exchanging letters.

Now my question is,
1. Is it mandatory one should have the pictures and letters?
2. If her original US Passport or certified copy is sent will it be okay to cover for the pictures and letters?
Thanks

Photos and letters aren't required - and frankly, if you don't have any would you be forging documents to provide them? Bring what you have.
Not only would it be illegal for your sister to mail her passport to you, but it is entirely unnecessary. I don't see what having someone's passport would accomplish.

Given what sounds like a complete lack of evidence, DNA may be requested to prove your relationship, but that is determined at the time of the interview.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by vicky71: 9:35am On Jan 27, 2016
LagosNIV:

Photos and letters aren't required - and frankly, if you don't have any would you be forging documents to provide them? Bring what you have.
Not only would it be illegal for your sister to mail her passport to you, but it is entirely unnecessary. I don't see what having someone's passport would accomplish.
Given what sounds like a complete lack of evidence, DNA may be requested to prove your relationship, but that is determined at the time of the interview.

Okay Sir. Thanks for the clarification but I still have another question sir.

1. I wasn't married when she petitioned for me but now am married with a child who's just 4 months old. Hope this wouldn't disqualify my wife and child.

2. My wife had been denied F1 student visa in 2014 few months after our traditional marriage; please hope her denial wouldn't be an issued.

3. And lastly am a director in a company that facilitate business investments in Nigeria and also a freelance journalist. Please while filling DS 260, in the columns where Occupation status are asked, I have business as my primary occupation but should I indicate Journalism in the "Any Other Occupation Column" or I should just tick No.

In the column "In which Occupation do you Intend to work the us" if I state student wouldn't that be an issue because I actually wanted to study more to fit into the American Standard before joining any workforce.
Also in the column where What
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 9:47am On Jan 27, 2016
vicky71:

Okay Sir. Thanks for the clarification but I still have another question sir.

1. I wasn't married when she petitioned for me but now am married with a child who's just 4 months old. Hope this wouldn't disqualify my wife and child.

2. My wife had been denied F1 student visa in 2014 few months after our traditional marriage; please hope her denial wouldn't be an issued.

3. And lastly am a director in a company that facilitate business investments in Nigeria and also a freelance journalist. Please while filling DS 260, in the columns where Occupation status are asked, I have business as my primary occupation but should I indicate Journalism in the "Any Other Occupation Column" or I should just tick No.

In the column "In which Occupation do you Intend to work the us" if I state student wouldn't that be an issue because I actually wanted to study more to fit into the American Standard before joining any workforce.
Also in the column where What

We have repeatedly discussed these types of issues and I am not here to personally help you fill out your application. Answer the questions fully and honestly.

This means that if you have a wife and a child, you tell us that you have a wife and a child. You can do your own research to find out if they qualify under your visa class. If your status changed at any time during the petition you were also instructed to contact NVC with updates...

Will the student denial be an issue? Maybe. I don't know what her particular circumstances were. You need to go to an interview and answer questions honestly if they are asked though, and it may come up. Unless you were told that you are permanently ineligible then it isn't something you can't move forward from.

If you have other work, why would you not list your other work? I don't understand this.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by adNEXT: 9:49am On Jan 27, 2016
Hi VO,
I have a conference to attend in the Staes, please do I need to come with an identification letter from my present employer for the interview? Kindly highlight documents to come along with for interview. Tkns
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by vicky71: 10:00am On Jan 27, 2016
LagosNIV:

We have repeatedly discussed these types of issues and I am not here to personally help you fill out your application. Answer the questions fully and honestly.
This means that if you have a wife and a child, you tell us that you have a wife and a child. You can do your own research to find out if they qualify under your visa class. If your status changed at any time during the petition you were also instructed to contact NVC with updates...
Will the student denial be an issue? Maybe. I don't know what her particular circumstances were. You need to go to an interview and answer questions honestly if they are asked though, and it may come up. Unless you were told that you are permanently ineligible then it isn't something you can't move forward from.
If you have other work, why would you not list your other work? I don't understand this.

Thanks so much sir
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 10:08am On Jan 27, 2016
adNEXT:
Hi VO,
I have a conference to attend in the Staes, please do I need to come with an identification letter from my present employer for the interview? Kindly highlight documents to come along with for interview. Tkns

You cannot immigrate for a conference.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by footreja: 6:45pm On Jan 27, 2016
@LagosNIV, my younger brother has a soccer trial to attend in America and the invitation letter will arrive any time from now. What visa type should he apply for and what are the requirements ? Will appreciate your reply.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by fneboy: 7:43pm On Jan 27, 2016
LagosNIV:

If they need your fingerprints, they will call you back.

Yes they will get back to you if they need it... No worries am sure of that

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (96)

Need Help With Direction / Which Country In Africa Has The Most Beautiful Women? / General German Work And Family Re-union Visa Enquiries

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.