Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,220 members, 7,825,834 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 01:09 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (324056 Views)

U.S. Immigration Crackdown, ICE Arrest Over 140 Workers At A Beef Plant(Pics) / See Reason Why A US Consular Refused To Grant Visa / Ask A Pilot... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (96) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by fneboy: 7:55pm On Jan 27, 2016
Good day sir,
Post deleted
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by tobithedancer: 8:51pm On Jan 27, 2016
Greetings
Please, what category of court divorce certificate from nigeria is acceptable in the US for a remarriage? Is a Nigeria Magistrate or Customary court divorce certificate acceptable, or must it be from a High Court ?
Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by iamnewhere: 9:01pm On Jan 27, 2016
Thank you VO for replying. I got the visa and it states IR1 class visa. But I have a problem and that is my wife has changed and she doesnt want to live with me any more and she has demanded divorce. Divorce procedures are not yet been initialized by her yet may due to the fact that our marriage ceremony happened and registered in Pakistan. But anyways My questions are:-

1. Can she has the power to cancel my visa and hold me at the POE?
2. Can she has the power now to cancel my green card?
3. Is it possible to change the mailing address of my green card as I have mentioned her address on DS 260 form and she doesn't want to live with me any more?
4. Should I pay the immigrant fee of 160$ for processing of green card before departure or is there any option i can pay it over there and can i update my new mailing address at that time or not.

Thank you in advance for taking time for answering my questions.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Tosh101: 10:44pm On Jan 27, 2016
Most Respected VO, thanks for your time. Someone called me from the embassy today and told me to report back for my fingerprint and oath taking on the 18th of Feb. She was specific about my mission of coming for fingerprint and oath taking. I have two questions about this.
1. Myself and my wife already planned on spending the valentine together in the USA and I have not booked ticket because of your advice on this forum, is it possible for me to write the embassy and appeal to them to make the date closer since it is obvious I won't be getting my visa until the end of February with the current appointment date given to me.
2. The woman that called me said the Co forgot to take my fingerprint, when I return back, am I suppose to prepare for a fresh interview and come again with all documents or the initial interview and visa approval still stands? Though she specified that I come for fingerprint, just wondering if I will be subjected to the rigorous process of waiting to be interview again.
Thanks for all your effort and assistance.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 6:15am On Jan 28, 2016
footreja:
@LagosNIV, my younger brother has a soccer trial to attend in America and the invitation letter will arrive any time from now. What visa type should he apply for and what are the requirements ? Will appreciate your reply.

Not an immigrant visa - I suggest you do a little bit of research on your own and come back when you have a little bit of an idea on what you are looking for.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 6:18am On Jan 28, 2016
fneboy:
Good day sir,
I have about three questions bothering me.
I met my spouse online, am a Nigerian, she is from America, after several months we got married here in Nigeria, court wedding.
Now my questions is
1. At the interview is it wise to tell the visa officer I met her online, am scared so will think it's a scam. I love her
2. What documents do I need to prove my marriage is legal and legit. She has all the photos and the marriage certificate, maybe I should tell her to send me some or mail so I can print it out.
3. She only came to Nigeria once and we got married her first time... Should I say she has been to Nigeria twice. Please advise

You should tell the truth. If you met online, that is the truth. If you start telling lies then you will probably get caught in the lies and your case will get sent in for revocation...
After your interview is scheduled they will send you a list of required documents; read the list carefully and bring all of these things. Many people also bring chat records, phone records, photos, etc. Bring what you need to show evidence of the relationship and if more is needed then the VO will ask for it.
Again, how is lying going to help you? What happens if they want to see her passport? Are you then going to forge stamps and create illegal documents to cover your tracks?

I cannot stress enough how poor of a life choice it is to start lying during a visa interview.

4 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 6:19am On Jan 28, 2016
tobithedancer:
Greetings
Please, what category of court divorce certificate from nigeria is acceptable in the US for a remarriage? Is a Nigeria Magistrate or Customary court divorce certificate acceptable, or must it be from a High Court ?
Thanks

It depends on the type of marriage. If you were married in a Customary Court, you get a divorce decree from a Customary Court.
It's not a matter of U.S. law, this is technically how Nigerian law works.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 6:23am On Jan 28, 2016
iamnewhere:
Thank you VO for replying. I got the visa and it states IR1 class visa. But I have a problem and that is my wife has changed and she doesnt want to live with me any more and she has demanded divorce. Divorce procedures are not yet been initialized by her yet may due to the fact that our marriage ceremony happened and registered in Pakistan. But anyways My questions are:-

1. Can she has the power to cancel my visa and hold me at the POE?
2. Can she has the power now to cancel my green card?
3. Is it possible to change the mailing address of my green card as I have mentioned her address on DS 260 form and she doesn't want to live with me any more?
4. Should I pay the immigrant fee of 160$ for processing of green card before departure or is there any option i can pay it over there and can i update my new mailing address at that time or not.

Thank you in advance for taking time for answering my questions.

Yes, all of these things are possibilities. I can't offer advice on what to do with your situation but you want want to consider speaking with an immigration lawyer.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 6:25am On Jan 28, 2016
Tosh101:
Most Respected VO, thanks for your time. Someone called me from the embassy today and told me to report back for my fingerprint and oath taking on the 18th of Feb. She was specific about my mission of coming for fingerprint and oath taking. I have two questions about this.
1. Myself and my wife already planned on spending the valentine together in the USA and I have not booked ticket because of your advice on this forum, is it possible for me to write the embassy and appeal to them to make the date closer since it is obvious I won't be getting my visa until the end of February with the current appointment date given to me.
2. The woman that called me said the Co forgot to take my fingerprint, when I return back, am I suppose to prepare for a fresh interview and come again with all documents or the initial interview and visa approval still stands? Though she specified that I come for fingerprint, just wondering if I will be subjected to the rigorous process of waiting to be interview again.
Thanks for all your effort and assistance.

You can always ask for a sooner date but it is unlikely that you will get one.
And while you will most likely only have to provide the fingerprints, you also need to be prepared to honestly answer questions. As far as the process is concerned - yes, you will have to get inprocessed.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by enye2000: 9:34am On Jan 28, 2016
pls v.o
...i was asked to bring my birth certificate from national population commission...but what i have is my birth certificate from local government...will it be acceptable
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jan 28, 2016
enye2000:
pls v.o
...i was asked to bring my birth certificate from national population commission...but what i have is my birth certificate from local government...will it be acceptable

It would be best to bring what you are asked to bring...

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jan 28, 2016
Hello CO

I was recently on this page regarding my husband AP. I checked CEAC today, and i see that the date has changed to today's date but still showing AP. Please wht does that mean? Is someone working on our case or its a weekly update that happens?

TY

I really do want to start my life. I want my husband here before his birthday the 15th it means so much to us. The stress of going to an indefinite AP is just too much (mixed feeling.. angry and crying)
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by winnie123: 3:15pm On Jan 28, 2016
dear Vo,

i just finished with my interview today and was given aletter that my case will have to undergo Admin processing.

My question is that my Passport was not given back to me is that the normal thing? maybe the Consular officer forgot to give me back, why i am asking is because i don't stay in Lagos and will like to go back to my base tomorrow.
your reponse will be appreciated.

Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Asikia30: 3:23pm On Jan 28, 2016
The USA Embassy can't find my international passport, what should I do?
I sent in my passport, police report and medical report as requested on the 10th of December. I wrote to the embassy asking when I will get back my passport and they said it will take 15 working days.. I waited for those days and more days but didn't hear from the embassy, I even went to DHL office in VI Lagos but the embassy didn't drop it off. I did write back to they Embassy and they said I should come to the embassy to get my passport, I was at the embassy 4days ago but they could not find my passport!
What should I do?
I know that it is very expensive to get a new passport if it is not expired and i have to go to Abuja. My problem is that I have so much visa on that passport.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by fneboy: 4:39pm On Jan 28, 2016
Thanks so much
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 5:59am On Jan 29, 2016
Lizypumping:
Hello CO

I was recently on this page regarding my husband AP. I checked CEAC today, and i see that the date has changed to today's date but still showing AP. Please wht does that mean? Is someone working on our case or its a weekly update that happens?

TY

I really do want to start my life. I want my husband here before his birthday the 15th it means so much to us. The stress of going to an indefinite AP is just too much (mixed feeling.. angry and crying)

Look, you need to relax. We are not going to update you on the state of the case every day and the more time we have to spend responding to everyone asking about admin processing, the less time we can spend actually working on cases.

Of course someone is working on his case, and as soon as we have more information we give it to the applicants. We have procedures we have to follow and trying to put pressure on the system can actually slow things down for you. Be patient and at least give us two weeks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 6:01am On Jan 29, 2016
winnie123:
dear Vo,

i just finished with my interview today and was given aletter that my case will have to undergo Admin processing.

My question is that my Passport was not given back to me is that the normal thing? maybe the Consular officer forgot to give me back, why i am asking is because i don't stay in Lagos and will like to go back to my base tomorrow.
your reponse will be appreciated.

Thank you.

If you need the passport to travel, you can request it, otherwise there is nothing wrong with this situation. The passport was retained to expedite your admin processing.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 6:03am On Jan 29, 2016
fneboy:
Thanks so so much
So your advise is that I should go with nothing going first to the interview unless they asked me to come with anything.
Can you assist me with likely questions I might be asked.

Not at all. My advice was at the very least to take the required documents.
In fact, in the post you quoted I even provided some examples of additional documents that you might bring to make the process smoother.

The only thing I would say you shouldn't bring are fraudulent documents.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by tobithedancer: 6:36am On Jan 29, 2016
Pls for someone who got married in Nigeria Customarily and already had his marriage broken down without any paper back up, in fact his ex-wife has already remarried here in Nigeria, but the guy plans to remarry his old gf who is a US citizen. How can he prove that his former marriage is broken down because he needs to remarry in the US. Can he try and get a Customary Court divorce for his previous marriage?
And secondly, can a nigeria Customary Court marriage divorce certificate be acceptable in the US for evidence of previous divorce and remarriage in the US ? Or must he approach a High Court for the divorce ?
Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 6:52am On Jan 29, 2016
tobithedancer:
Pls for someone who got married in Nigeria Customarily and already had his marriage broken down without any paper back up, in fact his ex-wife has already remarried here in Nigeria, but the guy plans to remarry his old gf who is a US citizen. How can he prove that his former marriage is broken down because he needs to remarry in the US. Can he try and get a Customary Court divorce for his previous marriage?
And secondly, can a nigeria Customary Court marriage divorce certificate be acceptable in the US for evidence of previous divorce and remarriage in the US ? Or must he approach a High Court for the divorce ?
Thanks

Your question has already been answered - there is no need to ask the same questions in multiple forums.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Asikia30: 7:41am On Jan 29, 2016
I sent in my passport, police report and medical report as requested on the 10th of December. I wrote to the embassy asking when I will get back my passport and they said it will take 15 working days.. I waited for those days and more days but didn't hear from the embassy, I even went to DHL office in VI Lagos but the embassy didn't drop it off. I did write back to they Embassy and they said I should come to the embassy to get my passport, I was at the embassy 4days ago but they could not find my passport!
What should I do?
I know that it is very expensive to get a new passport if it is not expired and i have to go to Abuja. My problem is that I have so much visa on that passport
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:44am On Jan 29, 2016
Asikia30:
What should I do?
I know that it is very expensive to get a new passport if it is not expired and i have to go to Abuja. My problem is that I have so much visa on that passport

If you were at the Embassy, then I am sure they advised you on what to do at the time.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Asikia30: 7:51am On Jan 29, 2016
No i was not told what to do, i was told to wait.
I dont know if they have cases like this before and if I will get it back and if not... Will the embassy pay the bills for me to get a new one??

LagosNIV:

If you were at the Embassy, then I am sure they advised you on what to do at the time.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 8:07am On Jan 29, 2016
Asikia30:
No i was not told what to do, i was told to wait.
I dont know if they have cases like this before and if I will get it back and if not... Will the embassy pay the bills for me to get a new one??

You will have to wait and discuss your issue with the embassy directly.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 8:40am On Jan 29, 2016
LagosNIV:

Look, you need to relax. We are not going to update you on the state of the case every day and the more time we have to spend responding to everyone asking about admin processing, the less time we can spend actually working on cases.

Of course someone is working on his case, and as soon as we have more information we give it to the applicants. We have procedures we have to follow and trying to put pressure on the system can actually slow things down for you. Be patient and at least give us two weeks.

Ok. Thanks CO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by DoraTosh(f): 11:48am On Jan 29, 2016
Hello VO,
I had my immigrant visa on 28 January. The interview went fine.The consular officer told me my case is approved. I was handed 3 white slips.One was the "Collecting your issued US immigrant visa". The second was ""USCIS Immigran fee"". The third was "" The Foreign SErvice of the USA", Stating that before adjudicating my case that my case will undergo AP.
Now, my passport was collected, visa approved but with the 3rd slip I got a little confused.
What does this imply.
Thank you and remain blessed.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 12:15pm On Jan 29, 2016
DoraTosh:
Hello VO,
I had my immigrant visa on 28 January. The interview went fine.The consular officer told me my case is approved. I was handed 3 white slips.One was the "Collecting your issued US immigrant visa". The second was ""USCIS Immigran fee"". The third was "" The Foreign SErvice of the USA", Stating that before adjudicating my case that my case will undergo AP.
Now, my passport was collected, visa approved but with the 3rd slip I got a little confused.
What does this imply.
Thank you and remain blessed.

I am a little bit confused about what you are asking and the content of the 3rd piece of paper... Can you provide a bit more context? Was your passport returned with the visa in it?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by DoraTosh(f): 1:37pm On Jan 29, 2016
Thank you for your prompt response VO.
My interview was yesterday, the consular officer collEcted my passport, told me my visa is approved. Gave me the document collection slip which I mentioned earlier. But I got confused with the last slip I was given saying my case needs additional administrative processing. I know my case is approved but don't know why I was given a slip saying it needs additional AP.When do I know I should go pick up my visa at the collection centre.
Thank you.
LagosNIV:

I am a little bit confused about what you are asking and the content of the 3rd piece of paper... Can you provide a bit more context? Was your passport returned with the visa in it?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by DoraTosh(f): 2:07pm On Jan 29, 2016
DoraTosh:
Thank you for your prompt response VO.
My interview was yesterday, the consular officer collEcted my passport, told me my visa is approved. Gave me the document collection slip which I mentioned earlier. But I got confused with the last slip I was given saying my case needs additional administrative processing. I know my case is approved but don't know why I was given a slip saying it needs additional AP.When do I know I should go pick up my visa at the collection centre.
Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (96)

Need Help With Direction / Which Country In Africa Has The Most Beautiful Women? / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.