Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,631 members, 7,809,363 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:19 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (46) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (322942 Views)

U.S. Immigration Crackdown, ICE Arrest Over 140 Workers At A Beef Plant(Pics) / See Reason Why A US Consular Refused To Grant Visa / Ask A Pilot... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (96) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by imnuflawal: 6:17pm On Sep 11, 2016
Hello CO, pls I want to confirm this sir, i've been issued my visa but I just wanna ask if it's compulsory I pay for my green card before leaving for the US or I can pay it on my arrival to the State, tanks for ur concise and most accurate response...
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by brandchambers: 1:03pm On Sep 13, 2016
Good day V.O,

My sister a US Citizen, is about filing a petition for my siblings and I under F4 Category.I want to find out if there is provision for a principal immigrant's unborn child whose name was not included as at the time of filing to be included later in the future.i.e I have 2 kids already and one is on the way and will be due by next year by God's grace but my sister is bent on filing the petition now because of the uncertainty a Trump Presidency could bring to immigration laws . If the petition is filed with the name of my 2 kids now, is there a way or any provision for my unborn child tobe included in my application in the future.Thanks for being there for us all.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Benjamins: 12:12am On Sep 14, 2016
Hi VO,
What is the average turnaround time for F4 Visas (Nigerian Applicants)?
Is the average 10 to 12 year wait time applicable to Nigerian applicants as well?
I ask this because, I saw a recent bulletin reflecting that Nigeria has a lower number of F4 applicants in queue compared to high volume countries like Mexico, India, Philippines, or, China.
Does this low number somehow translate to faster processing times for Nigerian F4 applicants?

I know Congress currently ONLY allocates 65,000 Visas in this category worldwide. How is that low number allocated across board worldwide?

N.B.
I have two pending I-30 (F4 category) applications for my two brothers and their families, and I will like to give them an idea of how long this process might take.
Obviously they are anxious to come to the USA, however, I don't want them to lose sight of the immediate. cheesy
Thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:00am On Sep 14, 2016
Nonye4040:
I am the USC and my husband is in Nigeria. We applied for K-1 visa and were denied under 221(g). We found out from my senator that the officer believe we have a "sham marriage in other to evade immigration laws".
We don't fully understand what that means. I have two questions:
1. Does it mean that the officer didn't believe that we were in a relationship or she believe we were married and not fiance?
At the K-1 interview, my then "fiance" was asked if he had paid the dowry and he said no. which was a lie. Our initial plan was to not do any traditional ceremony but my family kept pressuring him and he obliged ,while he was waiting for interview for the K-1. We felt we have come too far to abandon the process.
Nonetheless, he got denied.

Fast forward, we got legally married in church and have certificate for the marriage and we are waiting for petition approval.
There comes my question.
2. If he is asked about the date of the traditional marriage, would he telling them the date , which occurred before the K-1 interview and denial of that ceremony by him cause any problem for us?
I love my husband and would love to go wherever he goes but staying in Nigeria is not an option because I have student's loans that needs to be paid.
Please advice us.
Thank you for taking time to read. We are appreciate your honest opinion.

We have mentioned repeatedly here that the way to correct a previous lie is not to continue lying, but rather to tell the truth. It appears that you were not eligible for the K-1 visa because you were already married under traditional law. That means you are married. The visa officer figured this out.

Being married, you are eligible to apply for a marriage visa. YOU SHOULD BE HONEST IN YOUR INTERVIEWS; I cannot stress this enough. Continuing to lie about the basic facts of the relationship will only delay processing of your visa.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:01am On Sep 14, 2016
imnuflawal:
Hello CO, pls I want to confirm this sir, i've been issued my visa but I just wanna ask if it's compulsory I pay for my green card before leaving for the US or I can pay it on my arrival to the State, tanks for ur concise and most accurate response...

It makes your process much easier if you pay for it before you travel.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:04am On Sep 14, 2016
brandchambers:
Good day V.O,

My sister a US Citizen, is about filing a petition for my siblings and I under F4 Category.I want to find out if there is provision for a principal immigrant's unborn child whose name was not included as at the time of filing to be included later in the future.i.e I have 2 kids already and one is on the way and will be due by next year by God's grace but my sister is bent on filing the petition now because of the uncertainty a Trump Presidency could bring to immigration laws . If the petition is filed with the name of my 2 kids now, is there a way or any provision for my unborn child tobe included in my application in the future.Thanks for being there for us all.

Yes, you just have to contact USCIS or NVC to update the petition; they will ask you to provide any necessary documentation to update the case file.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:05am On Sep 14, 2016
Benjamins:
Hi VO,
What is the average turnaround time for F4 Visas (Nigerian Applicants)?
Is the average 10 to 12 year wait time applicable to Nigerian applicants as well?
I ask this because, I saw a recent bulletin reflecting that Nigeria has a lower number of F4 applicants in queue compared to high volume countries like Mexico, India, Philippines, or, China.
Does this low number somehow translate to faster processing times for Nigerian F4 applicants?

I know Congress currently ONLY allocates 65,000 Visas in this category worldwide. How is that low number allocated across board worldwide?

N.B.
I have two pending I-30 (F4 category) applications for my two brothers and their families, and I will like to give them an idea of how long this process might take.
Obviously they are anxious to come to the USA, however, I don't want them to lose sight of the immediate. cheesy
Thanks!

I don't have an exact estimate, but it takes several years. The countries that you mentioned have different wait times, but otherwise all other countries in the world are on the same timeline. Don't be surprised if an F4 petition is waiting for 6-8 years though.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by oparahchi(m): 10:21am On Sep 14, 2016
Good day Lagos NIV.....I sincerely appreciate the time taken to enlighten some of us on some specifics as It relates to getting a visa.

However I have very specific questions and would be glad to get answers.

I met a girl (an American citizen) in January of this year. She resides in Georgia and is friends with my elder brother who lives in the US. She works with Delta airlines and has frequent flights to Lagos (some of which is now because of me). So on one of her flights to Lagos (in January) I went to see her after my elder brother had told her about me. We became cordial friends and in the shortest time we started dating. She flies to Lagos on an average of once a week and sometimes twice a week so she could get an opportunity to see me. Our relationship is rather serious and not founded on any scheming or gimmicks. Last month I went to Ghana for an event hosted by her family. I met her dad, her mom, her son and most family members who had flown in to Ghana for the event (a vegan/vegetarian community event setup by her dad who had lived in Ghana for some years). By the way all her family members are Americans.

However my girlfriend has been on my neck to apply for at least a tourist visa so I could come spend some time with her in the US too since she's always flying to Nigeria (working with delta airlines though). She has also suggested that she will come with me to the embassy once I schedule an appointment. So my questions goes thus;

1) is there a possibility she would be allowed into the embassy with me (even though she's a citizen) for an interview if I apply for a tourist visa ?

2) what are the chances of getting a visa based on this cos our relationship is very genuine?

3) we thought about actually getting married and applying for a K1 visa, but seeing everything is genuine we don't want to rush into marriage (we are still understanding each other) cos of a visa. Please kindly advice on what to do . What is the best approach to getting a visa to enable spend holidays with her. By the way I work with a construction company in Lagos.

Thank you in anticipation of a feedback.

Kind regards.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 11:55am On Sep 14, 2016
oparahchi:
Good day Lagos NIV.....I sincerely appreciate the time taken to enlighten some of us on some specifics as It relates to getting a visa.

However I have very specific questions and would be glad to get answers.

I met a girl (an American citizen) in January of this year. She resides in Georgia and is friends with my elder brother who lives in the US. She works with Delta airlines and has frequent flights to Lagos (some of which is now because of me). So on one of her flights to Lagos (in January) I went to see her after my elder brother had told her about me. We became cordial friends and in the shortest time we started dating. She flies to Lagos on an average of once a week and sometimes twice a week so she could get an opportunity to see me. Our relationship is rather serious and not founded on any scheming or gimmicks. Last month I went to Ghana for an event hosted by her family. I met her dad, her mom, her son and most family members who had flown in to Ghana for the event (a vegan/vegetarian community event setup by her dad who had lived in Ghana for some years). By the way all her family members are Americans.

However my girlfriend has been on my neck to apply for at least a tourist visa so I could come spend some time with her in the US too since she's always flying to Nigeria (working with delta airlines though). She has also suggested that she will come with me to the embassy once I schedule an appointment. So my questions goes thus;

1) is there a possibility she would be allowed into the embassy with me (even though she's a citizen) for an interview if I apply for a tourist visa ?

2) what are the chances of getting a visa based on this cos our relationship is very genuine?

3) we thought about actually getting married and applying for a K1 visa, but seeing everything is genuine we don't want to rush into marriage (we are still understanding each other) cos of a visa. Please kindly advice on what to do . What is the best approach to getting a visa to enable spend holidays with her. By the way I work with a construction company in Lagos.

Thank you in anticipation of a feedback.

Kind regards.

It only looks like there is one vaguely immigrant visa related question here, and that is about the K-1. I cannot advise you on what to do with your life. The decision to get married is a personal one. If you do decide to get married, you can apply for either the K-1 fiance visa, or CR-1/IR-1 marriage visas.

If you have non-immigrant visa questions, you should direct those to the appropriate forum.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by oparahchi(m): 7:00pm On Sep 14, 2016
LagosNIV:

It only looks like there is one vaguely immigrant visa related question here, and that is about the K-1. I cannot advise you on what to do with your life. The decision to get married is a personal one. If you do decide to get married, you can apply for either the K-1 fiance visa, or CR-1/IR-1 marriage visas.

If you have non-immigrant visa questions, you should direct those to the appropriate forum.
Thank you so so much. I appreciate your feedback. However can you help me with info on the non-immigrant visa forum so I could channel my questions there. Thank you so much.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 6:59am On Sep 15, 2016
oparahchi:
Thank you so so much. I appreciate your feedback. However can you help me with info on the non-immigrant visa forum so I could channel my questions there. Thank you so much.

The link is provided in this thread. It is also very easy to find on Nairaland. I highly suggest that you read through the threads as much of the information you are seeking - and more - has already been provided.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by law3: 10:50pm On Sep 16, 2016
Good day please i need your help....i met a black american online we have been chating and she pick interest on me...so we intend getting married she cannot travel down to nigeria because she is not feeling too well..my question is can they grant me the visa in the embassey if i tell them i am traveling to the US to get married to her....cos she has already sent me the invitation to come over
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by packdprince(m): 1:32pm On Sep 17, 2016
Good Day Visa Officer,
I have earlier written on this forum. I and my brothers visa interview is scheduled for mid of October.

My question is thus:
1. The petitioner i.e. my mum has filled the affidavit of support, Tax returns and Financial evidence.
pls during the interview are we supposed to bring along, my Mom's financial records or ours.

Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by YerYer: 11:27am On Sep 18, 2016
Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 6:58am On Sep 19, 2016
law3:
Good day please i need your help....i met a black american online we have been chating and she pick interest on me...so we intend getting married she cannot travel down to nigeria because she is not feeling too well..my question is can they grant me the visa in the embassey if i tell them i am traveling to the US to get married to her....cos she has already sent me the invitation to come over

This would fall under the K-1 fiancé vosa category, but you will need to meet in person first as one of the prerequisites for the visa.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:00am On Sep 19, 2016
packdprince:
Good Day Visa Officer,
I have earlier written on this forum. I and my brothers visa interview is scheduled for mid of October.

My question is thus:
1. The petitioner i.e. my mum has filled the affidavit of support, Tax returns and Financial evidence.
pls during the interview are we supposed to bring along, my Mom's financial records or ours.

Thanks

The U.S. tax records must be for each affidavit of support. If only the petitioner filled one out, then it is your mother's. If you have joint sponsors, you will also need theirs.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:02am On Sep 19, 2016
YerYer:
Hi my fiancee who's in Nigeria has been asked to provide a police certificate which should be brought in on the day of the interview. Please what are the steps involved in getting a police certificate in Lagos and how long does it take? Also, she's supposed to have a medical exam done at one of the clinics recommended by the U.S embassy; I called the listed phone numbers to the clinic and no one picked, I just want to know how easy it is to get an appointment or do you just show up to the clinic and have the medical examination done there and then? Can you also, shed some light on some of the common questions asked during the interview for K1 visa. Thanks

Police certificates are handled by the local authorities, I recommend you contact them for more information on that process.
You should make an appointment at the clinic, if no one picks up, try again some other time. There are also more than one of the approved clinics.

You can read this thread and others for more information regarding the K1 visa interview.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by rayzornaija(m): 9:41am On Sep 19, 2016
Good luck everyone
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by law3: 11:10am On Sep 19, 2016
LagosNIV:

This would fall under the K-1 fiancé vosa category, but you will need to meet in person first as one of the prerequisites for the visa.
The woman cannot travel down cos she is ill...so which other way can be the alternative for me to pass the interview at the embassey
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ezegold4we: 11:19am On Sep 19, 2016
Good day V.O,

i want to thank you for the great job and support you are doing by giving us directions in this forum,

pls my question goes like this

can my uncle who is a united states citizen apply for me and my family for immigrant visa?

that is coming to live and work in united states with my wife and children?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 11:51am On Sep 19, 2016
rayzornaija:
Hi, I had my k1 interview recently and I was approved. My original birth certificate was not among the documents returned to me. Please how do I get it back?

All original documents are returned at the time of the interview - if there has been some kind of error, you will need to contact the consulate directly to ask about your specific case.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 11:54am On Sep 19, 2016
law3:
The woman cannot travel down cos she is ill...so which other way can be the alternative for me to pass the interview at the embassey

There does not appear to be an alternative for an immigrant visa if you two are never able to meet in person.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 11:56am On Sep 19, 2016
ezegold4we:
Good day V.O,

i want to thank you for the great job and support you are doing by giving us directions in this forum,

pls my question goes like this

can my uncle who is a united states citizen apply for me and my family for immigrant visa?

that is coming to live and work in united states with my wife and children?

No, there is no visa class for an uncle to apply for you. You can review the full list of visa classes and qualifying relationships here: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate.html

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (96)

Need Help With Direction / General German Work And Family Re-union Visa Enquiries / Which Country In Africa Has The Most Beautiful Women?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.