Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,740 members, 7,824,132 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:57 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (47) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (323978 Views)

U.S. Immigration Crackdown, ICE Arrest Over 140 Workers At A Beef Plant(Pics) / See Reason Why A US Consular Refused To Grant Visa / Ask A Pilot... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) ... (96) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Dozillion: 2:34am On Sep 20, 2016
Good morning dear Amiable Vo. Hope you're keeping well sir? Sir,I went to the SSN office yesterday so I can get my social security number which is a prerequisite to get a learner's permit. A very courteous lady said my name hasn't been updated on their system. She said something about an I 59 which usually takes about 10 days to be in their system... Sir, should I be worried or alarmed about this? Is this a norm sir?I would really love to get on my social security number asap to be able to drive and get a Job sir. Thanks for your anticipated response sir....God bless
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 12:34pm On Sep 20, 2016
Dozillion:
Good morning dear Amiable Vo. Hope you're keeping well sir? Sir,I went to the SSN office yesterday so I can get my social security number which is a prerequisite to get a learner's permit. A very courteous lady said my name hasn't been updated on their system. She said something about an I 59 which usually takes about 10 days to be in their system... Sir, should I be worried or alarmed about this? Is this a norm sir?I would really love to get on my social security number asap to be able to drive and get a Job sir. Thanks for your anticipated response sir....God bless

The Department of State (VOs) only handle visas - you need to contact USCIS about any of these kinds of issues.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by jabumere: 3:58am On Sep 21, 2016
This question is for con3man,
Hello Sir I married a Nigerian two years ago and his Visa was granted on last December. We filed for our three kids(my step-children) to come over and have been placed in AP status. We thought that by having the mother take the kids to their interview the process would go smoothly. Well we were wrong.We provided certified copies of the kids birth certificates and everything that was asked except chronological pictures of the children and their father. I explained to the CO that the children were living with their grand mother before her death while my husband worked because the mother left the father and the children. We support the children totally. My husband's sister is caring for the children in his absence. Their mother finally agreed to carry the children to their interview after we literally begged her to. The mother does not care if the children are allowed to come to the U.S so she did not attempt to give the CO any respect or proper answers.The CO asked her if she and the children's father had gotten a divorce and asked for a paper through the high court. She did tell the CO that they had a traditional/common law marriage and that the divorcee decree that she presented to her was given by the local courts as proof of who would get the children after they no longer lived together. The CO continues to ask for a divorce receipt from the high court. We finally got that matter settled but the children are suffering because the sister said that she would only keep the children for a few months and we had already exceeded that and now with this AP status she is saying that she did not plan on raising someone else's kids. She is mid twenties and is just ready for her freedom again .The CO said that our marriage must be an arranged one because we are trying to get the kids here so soon. We tried to explain that it was only because the kids could be left alone at any time. Had we known that they were going to question the mother we would have asked the sister to take the children. But to make a long story short we are still being asked for the pictures that we do not have. We received an email stating that they are returning the children's passport and that we need to possibly look into a DNA test. Please advise us on why were we placed in AP when we had the required legal documents proving that my husband is their father.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 6:59am On Sep 21, 2016
jabumere:
This question is for con3man,
Hello Sir I married a Nigerian two years ago and his Visa was granted on last December. We filed for our three kids(my step-children) to come over and have been placed in AP status. We thought that by having the mother take the kids to their interview the process would go smoothly. Well we were wrong.We provided certified copies of the kids birth certificates and everything that was asked except chronological pictures of the children and their father. I explained to the CO that the children were living with their grand mother before her death while my husband worked because the mother left the father and the children. We support the children totally. My husband's sister is caring for the children in his absence. Their mother finally agreed to carry the children to their interview after we literally begged her to. The mother does not care if the children are allowed to come to the U.S so she did not attempt to give the CO any respect or proper answers.The CO asked her if she and the children's father had gotten a divorce and asked for a paper through the high court. She did tell the CO that they had a traditional/common law marriage and that the divorcee decree that she presented to her was given by the local courts as proof of who would get the children after they no longer lived together. The CO continues to ask for a divorce receipt from the high court. We finally got that matter settled but the children are suffering because the sister said that she would only keep the children for a few months and we had already exceeded that and now with this AP status she is saying that she did not plan on raising someone else's kids. She is mid twenties and is just ready for her freedom again .The CO said that our marriage must be an arranged one because we are trying to get the kids here so soon. We tried to explain that it was only because the kids could be left alone at any time. Had we known that they were going to question the mother we would have asked the sister to take the children. But to make a long story short we are still being asked for the pictures that we do not have. We received an email stating that they are returning the children's passport and that we need to possibly look into a DNA test. Please advise us on why were we placed in AP when we had the required legal documents proving that my husband is their father.

Quite simply, it sounds like you are in AP because there is insufficient evidence of the relationship. You have been offered alternatives on how to provide more evidence of relationship between the children and petitioner, including the series of photos or DNA. If you don't have any evidence, DNA is always available.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by staa: 1:36pm On Sep 21, 2016
Good day vo, if a child of 11months old is born in Nigeria and the dad just became a us citizen even though he has lived in the us for 13years but recently applied for naturalization. can he file for American passport for the baby OR he will have to file for green card for him. Thank you vo.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by YerYer: 1:50pm On Sep 21, 2016
thank you
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 2:54pm On Sep 21, 2016
staa:
Good day vo, if a child of 11months old is born in Nigeria and the dad just became a us citizen even though he has lived in the us for 13years but recently applied for naturalization. can he file for American passport for the baby OR he will have to file for green card for him. Thank you vo.

You need to contact American Citizens services so they can work through this process for you. I recommend you schedule an appointment with them and bring all the relevant documentation.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 2:55pm On Sep 21, 2016
YerYer:

Thanks a lot. Please i'm filling out the DS160 form for my fiancee and would like to know what to include in the 'intended date of arrival' question.

This question is self-explanatory. What is their intended date of arrival?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by YerYer: 3:10pm On Sep 21, 2016
LagosNIV:

This question is self-explanatory. What is their intended date of arrival?

I don't know
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Cfo4all: 11:49pm On Sep 21, 2016
Good day sir,
Do I need a single status certificate for my K1 visa interview?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 12:58pm On Sep 22, 2016
YerYer:

I don't know really. I don't have an interview date yet. Will 2 months from now be reasonable enough?

It doesn't need to be the exact date, they are just trying to get an idea for your when you are planning for it. If the date passes it isn't like the petition goes away or anything, if that is what you are worried about.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 12:59pm On Sep 22, 2016
Cfo4all:
Good day sir,
Do I need a single status certificate for my K1 visa interview?

No, this is not a requirement.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Sariahogbe11(f): 12:06pm On Sep 24, 2016
Hello
My father became a US citizen after I was born through naturalization, can a CBRA be filed for me, I'm below 18 years and he has been there for more than 14 years.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 1:58pm On Sep 26, 2016
Sariahogbe11:
Hello
My father became a US citizen after I was born through naturalization, can a CBRA be filed for me, I'm below 18 years and he has been there for more than 14 years.

No, to be eligible for a CRBA means you would have been eligible for US citizenship at the time of birth. He can, however, apply for an IR-2 visa for a child though.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by hajj123(m): 3:12pm On Sep 26, 2016
Please any idea about how much I can get my spouse visa medical test done?I want to start getting for money because I am getting to that stage soon.thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:16pm On Sep 26, 2016
hajj123:
Please any idea about how much I can get my spouse visa medical test done?I want to start getting for money because I am getting to that stage soon.thanks

About 20k naira
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by tamara5: 12:37pm On Sep 28, 2016
pls vo I need your help my sister fiance wants to send her an invitation for her to go over to the USA to get married, but she doesn't know if the invitation is going to be sent to her or the USA embassy here in Nigeria
secondly she is still a student and she doesn't have enough money in her account , but her fiance has promised to take all the responsibilities of all her expenses,but I was thinking she should use our fathers bank statements which I don't know it would be okay .
and I also want to know which other documents dose she need and which of the visa will she apply for.
pls I need your reply
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by meggi31: 1:24pm On Sep 28, 2016
I have a question.

I have an old electricity bill un paid in US and now I won a DV lottery. is it something that might be noticed at the interview and affect the final decision.

Is it part of the background checking?

it was 10 years ago. When I ordered the service I had no SSN yet. I received one later.

I visited US in meantime few times and also once renewed my B visa.

thank you

meggi
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 2:10pm On Sep 28, 2016
tamara5:
pls vo I need your help my sister fiance wants to send her an invitation for her to go over to the USA to get married, but she doesn't know if the invitation is going to be sent to her or the USA embassy here in Nigeria
secondly she is still a student and she doesn't have enough money in her account , but her fiance has promised to take all the responsibilities of all her expenses,but I was thinking she should use our fathers bank statements which I don't know it would be okay .
and I also want to know which other documents dose she need and which of the visa will she apply for.
pls I need your reply

She doesn't need an invitation, she needs a K-1 fiancé visa. This has been discussed at length in this thread. I recommend you read that information and follow the relevant links for additional information.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) ... (96)

Need Help With Direction / Which Country In Africa Has The Most Beautiful Women? / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.