Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,302 members, 7,954,197 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 02:03 PM

Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade (38792 Views)

Atlantic Slave Trade: Igbo Inhabitant In United States, Cuba, Jamaica & Barbados / Efik/ibibio Names And Their Meaning / Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by ezeagu(m): 4:57pm On May 15, 2009
tpiah:

do you really and sincerely believe Igbos constitute 90% of the slaves taken from the west coast of Africa to the Americas?

Blacks never fail to amaze me.

small time una go begin rain curses on Lugard say im dey talk racist talk. undecided

What in the world are you talking about?
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by sjeezy8: 6:35pm On May 15, 2009
lol i can put i can put a sentence together but i just dont care to on nairaland ehn hen good for p square tongue

and the people i listed sing or rap in yoruba, igbo or pidgin p square's hottest songs are those that relate to nigerians
like "ifunanya"

lol i think it is so funny when people try to make themselves SEEM so intelligent on a DAMN FORUM OR BLOGSITE LOL
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by sjeezy8: 6:38pm On May 15, 2009
and do your homework on lugard dude tongue

how can a non nigerian tell nigerians about nigeria lol tongue
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by ezeagu(m): 7:54pm On May 15, 2009
sjeezy8:

lol i can put i can put a sentence together but i just dont care to on nairaland ehn hen good for p square tongue

and the people i listed sing or rap in yoruba, igbo or pidgin p square's hottest songs are those that relate to nigerians
like "ifunanya"

lol i think it is so funny when people try to make themselves SEEM so intelligent on a DAMN FORUM OR BLOGSITE LOL

Putting a sentence together has nothing to do with "trying to seem intelligent", it's just easier for someone to read.

Rap is American, end of.
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by sjeezy8: 10:13pm On May 16, 2009
rap isn't american lol you clown

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/06/15/opinion/l-rap-music-began-on-jamaica-in-the-1960-s-659388.html

dude like do your homework b4 you speak , your like sooo dumb

people think it originated in new york but it didn't lol

man your soo dumb lol tongue

rap is an art for of spoken word around the world since b4 american blacks did it

rap is just a word that americans call it jamaicans call it toasting and im sure other cultures have names for it lol

i hope your not trying to become a lawyer cause you suck really bad tongue
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by ezeagu(m): 2:46pm On May 17, 2009
sjeezy8:

rap isn't american lol you clown

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/06/15/opinion/l-rap-music-began-on-jamaica-in-the-1960-s-659388.html

dude like do your homework b4 you speak , your like sooo dumb

people think it originated in new york but it didn't lol

man your soo dumb lol tongue

rap is an art for of spoken word around the world since b4 american blacks did it

rap is just a word that americans call it jamaicans call it toasting and im sure other cultures have names for it lol

i hope your not trying to become a lawyer cause you suck really bad tongue

Does this change the fact that rap is not Nigerian? You want me to believe that you knew it began in Jamaica before I posted my last post? Yes, well done, you know how to use google, but my point is still standing. Why? Go back to my original posts with the records of were slaves originated from and then see how much came from the Bight of Biafra.
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by sjeezy8: 8:51pm On May 19, 2009
lol dudette man it was fun peace out loser tongue
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by ezeagu(m): 10:54pm On May 23, 2009
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by KB1(m): 3:46pm On May 24, 2009
This is old new around this site. I and others must of posted 2 dozen threads or so related to this topic already. Some folks on hear are just too stupid to comprehend such knowledge.
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by tpiah: 9:56pm On May 24, 2009
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by ezeagu(m): 8:50pm On May 25, 2009
tpiah:

five gashes of his country marks on each cheek means what?

"Ibos" back then werent within the same boundaries as the "Igbos" of today.

You dont have to believe that however!

the whites back then went to great extent to distinguish between the 400 Nigerian tribes in general and the 300 Nigerian tribes on the coast, I'm sure. They really cared about the difference.

[img]http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:fSB3HwViZQZrSM:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/28/Igbo_ukwu_face.jpg[/img] Igbo-Ukwu figure of  a man with Ichi. It seems like you would benefit from reading Murder at Montpelier: Igbo Africans in Virginia. And can you tell me where you got the information about Ibos not being in the same boundaries as Igbo today? I've NEVER heard that before.
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by tpiah: 12:44am On May 26, 2009
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by ezeagu(m): 3:06pm On May 26, 2009
tpiah:

there's a lot you havent heard before, obviously.

I've read the length and breath most of this "Igbo African American" history and likewise I've read other history as well, unlike you.

The ichi I'm seeing here has more than 5 gashes on each cheek, not so?

Post the rest of the article you quoted plz. The full page.

Its seems like you've read nothing. I don't know how you got into my house and saw that I don't read "other history" aswell,  I guess thats supposed to be a diversion from the topic.

If the Ichi has 5 or 7 gashes, does it matter? I've proved to you it was not only Yoruba people that had "gashes" on their face.

You can find the Virginian slave ntoices here where I got the one above, search Yoruba, Benin, Anago or Nago and tell me how many results you receive, then do the same for Ibo and Eboe. After that you can come back and tell me I'm stupid.

http://www2.vcdh.virginia.edu/exist/runaways/xquery.xsp
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by tpiah: 9:12pm On May 27, 2009
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by ezeagu(m): 3:05pm On May 28, 2009
tpiah:

@ bolded

no, you havent.

How old is your statue and yes, it matters because the tribes are pretty specific with their markings. Else the different tribal marks wouldnt be unique depending on tribe.

So only Yoruba people had gashes on their face.

tpiah:

These are Virginian slave notices. Virginia wasnt the only slave holding state, to the best of my knowledge. And Yoruba is a relatively recent term. Also a foreign name which the Yorubas didnt know themselves by at the time. So is Anago/Nago.

from your link (the other history you dont care know about)

Did I cut out the other non Biafran and non-Virginian percentages from the book excerpts? Yes there were other slave holding states, yes there were other ethnic groups, but my post is focusing on southeasterners and Igbo people were dominant in Virginia and had a strong presence in other states and other colonies such as Jamaica. There are people who have spent their lives researching Atlantic and African American history such as David Eltis and Douglas Chambers, and would tell you that the Igbo were one of tthe largest single ethnic group who left Africa through Atlantic slavery. Drawing up Congo man there, Angola woman here still does not counter the fact that the search query for 'Ibo/Eboe' draws up more results than 'Congo', 'Angola' and 'Gambia' combined. Plus there were no 'Yoruba' results. If your argument is that they were not called this in that era, then what were they called so we can find out if their presence was felt, because, yes, they were there, but in small numbers.
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by tpiah: 3:24pm On May 28, 2009
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by ezeagu(m): 5:54pm On May 28, 2009
tpiah:

well, you really need to make up your mind about Yorubas and tribal marks.

Because all we hear these days is its the fantastically ugly Yorubas who delight in glorifying their ugliness by slashing their faces with tribal marks. Please search the length and breadth of Nairaland and tell me which tribe has been exclusively villified for having tribal marks.

To now lay claim to Igbos having tribal marks because I pointed them out in your article, is rather too obvious simply because you're bent on claiming an American presence.

In any case, the runaway slave described as Ibo had five gashes on each cheek, "being his country's marks". That's pretty specific and a little research can uncover more.

Maybe you need to search Nairaland yourself so you can find where I was mocking Yoruba people for having tribal marks, after that find where I said only Yoruba people "who delight in glorifying in their ugliness" wear tribal marks. I suppose your suggesting Igbo people all share one brain. Maybe now I can generalise that genralisation is a Yoruba trait?  grin

tpiah:

contrary to what you're saying, Congo and Angola had quite a few mentions,same as Ibo (which btw, didnt cover the exact boundaries as the Igbos of today, like I mentioned before). Same goes for Guinea.

You keep mentioning, but your not backing up. The only other people that 'Ibo' may have been mistakenly imposed on are closely related groups such as the Kalabari and the Urhobo, etc. Even you should know that before 'Nigeria' Igbo peoples and these other groups didn't see themselves as having as much difference as an Enugu man has to an Ngwa man. Are you now trying to tell me that Yoruba people were identfied as Ibo? Research harder, slaves told their masters where they originated from! *hint, hint, read the slave notices*

tpiah:

The timeline of these articles preceeded the Berlin Conference which was when the boundaries making up the modern states of west/central Africa were drawn.

You also fixedly ignore the steady slave traffic from the Carribeans especially (where most slaves were "broken in and seasoned", and instead try to prove most of the slave ships went directly from Africa to the US plantations. This isnt entirely true.

Even as far back as then, slaves born in Africa were still regarded as a separate category from the other slaves just as it still is today with Africans and AAs. Blacks have been shipped to the US since the 17th century and the African born blacks still met a substantial number of American born slaves whenever they landed. And they were still tagged "Africans" due to their African mannerisms. Neither were they a majority among the black population, to the best of my knowledge.

This those not show that there was no strong influence from Igbo culture, where did those black Americans come from? Africa? No? The Caribbean: Wasn't Olaudah Equiano shipped to Barbados and then to Virginia? What ethnicity was he? right.

tpiah:

Yorubas back then identified themselves by their villages, not tribe. Most of the slaves werent even aware of what others called them (Yoruba, Lucumi, Nago) until they left Africa. The majority never knew their continent was called Africa until after they reached their new destination. If you notice, Angola, Guinea and Congo arent tribes- they're general names for geographical regions or countries back then. So can you explain why the term Ibo was a tribe during that period?

Exactly why the slave notices show the dominance of the Igbo, because other ethnicities were not mentioned, yet geographical areas were. Again read the slave notices to see why they picked out the Igbo ethnicity. Igbo people also did not know what Igbo was until they left their countries, this shows that slavery and colonialism defined who was and wasn't Igbo to an extent. If 'Ibo' does not describe only present day Igbo people, then please can you explain why other neighbouring groups don't identify as Ibo?

tpiah:

However, plz feel free to hold on to your opinions! Facts arent that important.

I would advise you not to make statements like this unless you can provide a full range of reliable sources that back up your own opinions. I have already given over five.
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by girl22(f): 6:01am On May 31, 2009
sjeezy8:

eh hen like i said ODE maybe you should jump of a building because my point was why be concerned about the relation between AA and igbos when igbos dont want to be associated , i mean you making a big deal and when i talk about LATIN america im tlkain about those who come back to nigeria or those who still practice IFA and what not, AA didn't past shiooot down to there generations (we dont care about those who dont practice our traditional culture)

and I said igbos and african americans ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS AA CULTURE IS IN NO WAY THE SAME AS IGBO

NOW SLAP YOURSELF LOL

for you to say black americans didnt pass shit down is incorrect. babies were sold off at infant and toddler stages which didnt happen alot in other places. also africans in america were restricted from playing the drum doing african dances, and their toungues were cut off of they spoke an african language.

so you just cant say you dont care about those who dont practice their traditional culture. they were prevented.

if im sold at two what the hell am i going to know?

Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by tpiah: 2:28pm On Jun 01, 2009
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by ezeagu(m): 4:19pm On Jun 01, 2009
tpiah:

I know for you, its all about dominance, hence my advice to continue holding on to your opinion, regardless of facts. Nothing spoil! Life goes on!!!

What you also need to do is look into the history and etymology of the word Ibo/Igbo. How did the term originate and when did it first start being applied to the area known as Igbo today.

Could you show me were the word Ibo originated from? How does this show that others were called Ibo?

Dominance? If you mean dominance in fact checking and source providing, then yes Its all about dominance.

tpiah:

I dont doubt this kind of enquiry is beyond you however. Since you may not like what you see. Its easier to simply assume anyone who doesnt follow your edicts, does so because of hate.

So I'm the one that wrote the books from the which the pages I pasted are from? Was it even an Igbo person that wrote the books? Again, link me to your sources, then you'll have a reasonable argument. Hate? Who said anything about hate. . . . . . . . . although, you did come at me like this. . . . . . . .

five gashes of his country marks on each cheek means what?

"Ibos" back then werent within the same boundaries as the "Igbos" of today.

You dont have to believe that however!

the whites back then went to great extent to distinguish between the 400 Nigerian tribes in general and the 300 Nigerian tribes on the coast, I'm sure. They really cared about the difference.

. . . . . .without any reason or any previous arguments we had that would warrant you coming at me like that. . . . . . . . .

tpiah:

interesting!!!!

Nairaland search function!!! Fights plenty for there!!!!!

I doubt nairaland is a reliable source.

tpiah:

at least you're finally acknowledging a Carribean transit, albeit in order to prove a point! Not surprised!

So Olaudah was the only person shipped there?

You lost me with the whole Caribbean transit thing, , anyway, no Olaudah was not the only one shipped there it was just an example.
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by tpiah: 4:27pm On Jun 01, 2009
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by ezeagu(m): 4:54pm On Jun 01, 2009
tpiah:

like I said, you've read books that interested you and which you consider gospel.

That doesnt mean its the end of information about the Trans-Atlantic slave trade.

Can you advise me one other books to read apart from the recorded percentages of the slave trade? So if I talked about Yoruba people in Brazil, would you have honestly started to challenge me.

tpiah:
What you call "fact- checking" doesnt really match the dictionary term but its a free world. Likewise, there are many sources for people to pick and choose which one they prefer.

Whether it fact checking or fact looking you know what I mean, where are your own sources before you start to challenge me again.

tpiah:

I already pointed out the fact that Angola, Guinea and Congo arent tribes and asked you why Ibo was/would be considered a tribe in these slave notices. I further asked you to check the etymology and meaning of the word Ibo/Igbo. I dont think the burden of proof is on me.

You're entitled to your opinion plz! No need to get upset over someone having a contrary view.

abi did I insult Igbo here? Dont know what you consider an insult.

Lawl, upset? Who was the one who first came at me with bold fonts ablazing? I've posted the statistics I've wanted to post. I've backed my point. If you wanna challenge them, challenge them with reliable sources, or since you're not getting it: tpiah, you, post link to where you get words, otherwise you can keep your fingers off the keyboard and stop implying things to distract from your lack of sources.  grin Yes, I noticed.
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by tpiah: 8:42pm On Jun 01, 2009
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by ezeagu(m): 10:11pm On Jun 01, 2009
tpiah:

I'm not really interested in sharing any sources.

Ehen, thats what you should have said long time instead of beating around the bush, you don't have any sources, you've given your sourceless input now let the thread be.
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by ezeagu(m): 5:08pm On Jul 20, 2009
Anybody a descendant of an Igbo slave? shocked
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by Nobody: 11:44pm On Jul 21, 2009
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by ezeagu(m): 8:43am On Jul 22, 2009
tpia.:

btw ezeagu I have a question for you.

When the Igbos, Calabars and Ijaws were raiding the interior for slaves during the pre-Naija era: did they raid only on the "Nigeria" side or were slaves also taken from Cameroon?

Bear in mind this was before Nigeria was created. Did the slavers only take from their northern/western side or did they also raid in the eastern interior?

Most of the slave raiding in the area were carries out by the Aro Confederacy, they are made up of a mixture of Ibibio, Igbo and other nearby ethnicities. One of the tactics they would use in their slave trading, apart from 'slave raiding' would be to offer protection against raiding to some communities, a tribute of slaves were required. Because of their position and their links with the nearby communities (and maybe because most slave ships that were rolling up into Calabar were looking for 'Eboan Negroes') their influence would be restricted to the communities that are now in Southeastern Nigeria. Cameroon, I believe had their own slave traders from ethnicities such as the Bamileke, etc., but some 'Cameroonians' sometimes ended up in Calabar, obviously. As you can see from research and records, most of the slaves coming from New Calabar and Bonny seem to be overwhelmingly Igbo and the rest Efik and Ibibio. The 'Eboe stock' were well known in the British colonies as British merchants from Liverpool and Bristol seemed to have dominated the Bight of Biafra, hence the Igbo connection in Jamaica, Virginia, Barbados and even in French colonies like Martinique.
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by Nobody: 5:09pm On Jul 22, 2009
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by ezeagu(m): 8:23pm On Jul 22, 2009
tpia.:

try to leave the question of how many Igbos were shipped to the Americas so I can understand you better.

I don't think I did that, I was trying to explain to you that the British came to Biafra mainly for 'Eboe', and how this demarcates this area with Cameroon, but anyway,

tpia.:

So you're saying the Aro and other slave traders only sourced for slaves from within the boundaries of what would later become Nigeria?

In other words, they did not conduct any raids on their eastern side but only stocked from a northwesterly direction?

I'm asking because the same thing didnt happen at Lagos, Whydah and most other slave ports.

Obviously they weren't strictly constrained by the boundaries of what is Nigeria today, but there was no reason for the Aro to capture slaves in 'alien' places when they already had control of their area, which is the greater Igbo, Ibibio and Riverine areas, these places don't overspill the Nigerian border by too much. If I'm not mistaken, the ethnicities around Ouidah, Dahomey, Oyo etc are all kindred, Aro (Ibibio, Igbo speaking) are not going to interact very well with the Tikar for instance, but people from this ethnicity did sometimes come through Calabar before, although Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea, etc had their own slave ports, e.g Fernando Po, etc.

So, in summary you can say they didn't raid too much to the east.

I'm sure you've seen this map from Becomrich,

Arochukwu is lodged between 'Igbo' and 'Ibibio'
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by Nobody: 10:43pm On Jul 22, 2009
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by ezeagu(m): 12:25am On Jul 23, 2009
tpia.:

can you explain this quote from wikipedia before it gets changed

given the Aro Confederacy's status as suppliers of slaves.

Well, first of all its Wikipedia, and second of all there's nothing in the statement that states the Aro confederacy raided Cameroon and Equatorial Guinea communities. Its just talking about businessmen. There would have been slaves taken from Cameroon and Equatorial Guinea to Calabar, like I said before.
Re: Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade by Nobody: 12:34am On Jul 23, 2009

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! / Ooni Of Ogunwusi Visits Badagry, The First Storey Building In Nigeria / "Oba Akiolu Didn't Snub Ooni Of Ife" - White Cap Chief

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.