Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,059 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:33 AM

Nigerian Student Invents Bio-diesel From Vegetable Oil - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Student Invents Bio-diesel From Vegetable Oil (7224 Views)

Emeka Ihedioha, Imo PDP Governorship Aspirant Buying Vegetable In The Market / Airforce Invents Bomb Detecting Robot To Fight Boko Haram / Banks To Commence Bio-metric Data Capture For Customers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Student Invents Bio-diesel From Vegetable Oil by naijaking1: 5:36pm On May 05, 2009
Nigerian invents a car that drives on 4 wonderful wheels grin. Next, another invents anti-malaria medication you can put inside your mouth and swallow with water embarassed
What about a computer that can send messages through the internet shocked shocked
Did you see the brilliant genius who invented the helicopter in Nigeria last year
How about the professor and genius who just invented a medicine that cures erectile dysfunction--- suddenly impotent Nigerian men would give their wives a new lease of life kiss
Don't forget the boy genius who invented a TV using scraps from old radios, computers, and yes older TVs embarassed

While all these go on, don't forget to bring high ranking government officials into the mix, afterall, they're in office after inventing the democratic electoral process wink

Meanwhile, for a paltry $300, you can buy a tri-fuel converter from any hardware store. This converter enables any machine that runs on gasoline to run on propane, natural vegetable oil(ground nut, palm, seseme seed, olive oil, pumkin oil, egusi soup oil, canola oil, etc), or LNG. The advantage lies on using left over cooking oil you would have discarded. In Nigeria, cooking oil is so expensive that I doubt if any would be discarded.

If you ask me, a real invention would be making a machine that would extract oil from stool after eating up all the cooking oils.
Re: Nigerian Student Invents Bio-diesel From Vegetable Oil by AloyEmeka9: 5:38pm On May 05, 2009

If you ask me, a real invention would be making making a machine that would extract oil from stool after eating up all the cooking oils.
You love to eat huh? grin grin grin grin

EXACTLY!!
Sad thing is, someone will bring this up someday on Nairaland as an example of how Nigeria does not reward 'inventors'. T[b]here are still many people here who stubbornly defend that charlatan who claimed he could cure AIDS.[/b]
We've been curing AIDS in Nigeria for long now. Even the flu virus was never a case to worry about in Nigeria. It's not only Abalaka but many pastors for sure have prayed for HIV patients and God healed them. We may not have the scientific concoction to prove our assertion but we sure have the faith in Nigeria. Believe!!!
Re: Nigerian Student Invents Bio-diesel From Vegetable Oil by ikeyman00(m): 5:40pm On May 05, 2009
9to5
Why would the US bother going to the Space since the Russians were the first to have gone to the space, to hell with your semantic nonsense, you should be looking at the bigger picture Low IQ slowpoke. I don't really see anything that shows you are an engineer as you claimed.

fact!!
Re: Nigerian Student Invents Bio-diesel From Vegetable Oil by Akpangbon: 5:42pm On May 05, 2009
tHE SAME GOONS ALL OVER THE PLACE, THEY DONT WANT TO SEE ANYTHING GOOD WRITTEN ABOUT NIGERIA OR NIGERIANS, GOD PUNISH THEM.
Re: Nigerian Student Invents Bio-diesel From Vegetable Oil by redsun(m): 5:43pm On May 05, 2009
We seems to judge ourselves with what is happening in the real world because we can afford to buy computers and type away,which little children can do.

We are talking of technology and inventions that have not taken any root whatsover in africa and when we see people that are ingenious enough to break barriers,we should all commend and encourage them,because in the real sense of things,we are still in the dark age. Until we begin to understand the intricacies of inventions and creativity,we will continue to slumber,just like the case of IT professor that couldn't operate a computer in court,zombie education.
You don't have to be einstein but just follow the formula,of relativity,of one thing leading to another,interconnections.
Re: Nigerian Student Invents Bio-diesel From Vegetable Oil by asha80(m): 5:48pm On May 05, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Are we not good enough to take credit for any invention?. I suggest he stays put at home in case something big comes up from his research so that Nigeria can take full credit. I also heard that one guy is doing things to better the new fuel cell technology in this our obodo Nigeria and not obodo oyibo.

So in your heart u think 'nigeria' is interested in this kind of thing?
Re: Nigerian Student Invents Bio-diesel From Vegetable Oil by asha80(m): 5:51pm On May 05, 2009
redsun:

We seems to judge ourselves with what is happening in the real world because we can afford to buy computers and type away,which little children can do.

We are talking of technology and inventions that have not taken any root whatsover in africa and when we see people that are ingenious enough to break barriers,we should all commend and encourage them,because in the real sense of things,we are still in the dark age. Until we begin to understand the intricacies of inventions and creativity,we will continue to slumber,just like the case of IT professor that couldn't operate a computer in court,zombie education.
You don't have to be einstein but just follow the formula,of relativity,of one thing leading to another,interconnections.

Where did this happen shocked?Do not tell me it happened in nigeria?
Re: Nigerian Student Invents Bio-diesel From Vegetable Oil by Kobojunkie: 5:53pm On May 05, 2009
Now If I read a story of how a man googled for ways to improve his electricity situation and built for himself a good solar panel or something to make his life easier as a result, I would applaud the media for reporting such. I have had enough of these “inventing of already invented products” stories that make no sense. The media ought to know better by now.
Re: Nigerian Student Invents Bio-diesel From Vegetable Oil by ikeyman00(m): 5:53pm On May 05, 2009
asha u sound like a ramdon slowpoke
Re: Nigerian Student Invents Bio-diesel From Vegetable Oil by ikeyman00(m): 5:56pm On May 05, 2009
asha u sound like a ramdon slowpoke
Re: Nigerian Student Invents Bio-diesel From Vegetable Oil by asha80(m): 5:59pm On May 05, 2009
@ikeyman

I wu asu anwuru grin
Re: Nigerian Student Invents Bio-diesel From Vegetable Oil by redsun(m): 5:59pm On May 05, 2009
We have to wait for oyinbos to built our roads,our bridges and even our houses when engineers and architects are graduating en mass from nigerian universities,most of those oyinbos that come there in the name of expatriates are all fucking labourers and technicians here,ordinary half baked people but they live like kings there
Re: Nigerian Student Invents Bio-diesel From Vegetable Oil by ikeyman00(m): 6:02pm On May 05, 2009
aggressive kolo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now If I read a story of how a man googled for ways to improve his electricity situation and built for himself a good solar panel or something to make his life easier as a result, I would applaud the media for reporting such. I have had enough of these “inventing of already invented products” stories that make no sense. The media ought to know better by now.

are u an engineer for real?? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

i dnt believe the your reasoning at all!

take for eg hover that is used to sweep the woolly carpet, the first that was made used emm rotating brush to stick out debris which obviously would have much effeciency that the recent one that used air pressure to suck out debris

now if u look at both, u can say someone has alrready invented hover

hmmm u sound like a aggressive slowpoke to be frank
Re: Nigerian Student Invents Bio-diesel From Vegetable Oil by SapeleGuy: 6:27pm On May 05, 2009
Very very sad to see grown men ridiculing this young mans achievement, granted this bit of work isn't original, but the lad did not write the eye grabbing headline. He may well have invented a new process in transesterification, from this article we just don't know.

These sorry journalists who are allergic to doing any sort of background research should be sent back to school.

On a positive note, this development is precisely what the nation needs, appropriate and sustainable technology done safely. The comparisons with the price of vegetable oil are pointless because the lad has said they would be using non consumable oils from algae and jatropha.

The govt are honoring the lad because he won an award for his work/country at an AU summit. What is so wrong with that? Why the need for the purile sarcasm?

We want engineers who can do practical things, As a nation we need functionality before originality. Giving us constant light will not be original but whoever achieves the feat will be a hero.

Aproko people, mek una look before una leap!
Re: Nigerian Student Invents Bio-diesel From Vegetable Oil by AloyEmeka9: 6:57pm On May 05, 2009

We have to wait for oyinbos to built our roads,our bridges and even our houses when engineers and architects are graduating en mass from nigerian universities,most of those oyinbos that come there in the name of expatriates are all fucking labourers and technicians here,ordinary half baked people but they live like kings there
Abi oh.
Re: Nigerian Student Invents Bio-diesel From Vegetable Oil by NINETOFIVE(m): 6:59pm On May 05, 2009

@9-5,
Haba, why all the insults over this simple story?

Oh boy don't mind me, I 've been saving that outburst of emotion for that monkey.
Re: Nigerian Student Invents Bio-diesel From Vegetable Oil by Kobojunkie: 7:05pm On May 05, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Abi oh.
Should we invent roads now? lol
Re: Nigerian Student Invents Bio-diesel From Vegetable Oil by asha80(m): 7:11pm On May 05, 2009
@NINETOFIVE

guy i saw this your thread and i say u must have a sound and great mind and did not know someone else was also thinking about this thing.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-61080.0.html
Re: Nigerian Student Invents Bio-diesel From Vegetable Oil by redsun(m): 7:15pm On May 05, 2009
You don't invent roads but create,they are all the same ball game,same principles.I have always said junky is one CIA agent that blended into nigerian system and claiming to be a nigerian,just to infiltrate our forum,we will catch u one day or just one one hell of a nigerian colo,lost on transit
Re: Nigerian Student Invents Bio-diesel From Vegetable Oil by asha80(m): 7:17pm On May 05, 2009
redsun:

You don't invent roads but create,they are all the same ball game,same principles.I[b] have always said junky is one CIA agent that blended into nigerian system and claiming to be a nigerian,just to infiltrate our forum,we will catch u one day or just one one hell of a nigerian colo,lost in transit
[/b]

grin cheesy grin
Re: Nigerian Student Invents Bio-diesel From Vegetable Oil by redsun(m): 7:20pm On May 05, 2009
Always grumpy,even when there is no need for it
Re: Nigerian Student Invents Bio-diesel From Vegetable Oil by NINETOFIVE(m): 7:25pm On May 05, 2009
asha 80:

@NINETOFIVE

guy i saw this your thread and i say u must have a sound and great mind and did not know someone else was also thinking about this thing.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-61080.0.html

Thank you my brother, apreciate.
Re: Nigerian Student Invents Bio-diesel From Vegetable Oil by wirinet(m): 7:38pm On May 05, 2009
I am amazed people are still arguing about someone inventing a machine that can convert vegetable oils to bio-diesel in 21st century Nigeria. This should be a project for SSC3 students or at best a practical assignment in 200 level chemistry on esterification of oils.

Since most people are too lazy to google, i will help to people. I googled " how to biodiesel" and i have over 2 million results.
here is the link http://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+biodiesel&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGIC_enNG266NG277 .

I think our science education is so poor that the smallest science experiment gets accolades and awards.
Re: Nigerian Student Invents Bio-diesel From Vegetable Oil by Kobojunkie: 7:38pm On May 05, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Very very sad to see grown men ridiculing this young mans achievement, granted this bit of work isn't original, but the lad did not write the eye grabbing headline. He may well have invented a new process in transesterification, from this article we just don't know.

These sorry journalists who are allergic to doing any sort of background research should be sent back to school.

Lol

SapeleGuy:

On a positive note, this development is precisely what the nation needs, appropriate and sustainable technology done safely. The comparisons with the price of vegetable oil are pointless because the lad has said they would be using non consumable oils from algae and jatropha.

What exactly is the development you speak of here?

SapeleGuy:

The govt are honoring the lad because he won an award for his work/country at an AU summit. What is so wrong with that? Why the need for the purile sarcasm?

Well, the lad is not the problem here. I bet he is proud of his “invention”. Problem is why is the AU “honoring” an African for reproducing results that have been done millions of times over?
Why isn’t the AU awarding all the students who have successfully mixed Acids and Bases to produce water in labs across Africa? Just recently a group of grade school students here were able to not only put together their own vegetableoil-to-biodiesel convertion machine but also outfitted a car to use their oil. They did not get National award ooo!!

SapeleGuy:

We want engineers who can do practical things, As a nation we need functionality before originality. Giving us constant light will not be original but whoever achieves the feat will be a hero.

So because we want practical engineers, we should honor those who step out to re-invent spoons and forks? I am trying here to understand what exactly your point is. People mix chemicals in labs to produce gases of every kind. Should they be honored for that as well?

My post there was not for him to give everyone light but to solve his own problem by using what is already available online for free to him.  I am not sure if you read the article but it is not about achievements but about inventing something new.
Re: Nigerian Student Invents Bio-diesel From Vegetable Oil by bawomolo(m): 7:51pm On May 05, 2009
it's obvious the journalists manipulated the story to sound sensational.
Re: Nigerian Student Invents Bio-diesel From Vegetable Oil by AloyEmeka9: 7:57pm On May 05, 2009
it's obvious the journalists manipulated the story to sound sensational.
But why did AU give him an award for that?
Re: Nigerian Student Invents Bio-diesel From Vegetable Oil by Thadude(m): 8:25pm On May 05, 2009
Even tho it is an invention from a written script is it easy to copy?, if it is easy dont read, go for an exam and copy see if u will pass!
Why havent any Nigerian copied the western world for production of cars at a cheaper rate, see india they are good copy cats, Nigerians cant even copy and produce motor-cycles
Re: Nigerian Student Invents Bio-diesel From Vegetable Oil by SapeleGuy: 9:22pm On May 05, 2009
Kobo

My first point is very simple. You come across as disgruntled, rabid and bitter in your posts. What have you done or achieved at your age that gives you the right to challenge this boy?

In case you missed it, Nigeria is a developing nation on a developing continent. The AU along with WIPO have decided to stimulate interest in science. Sub-Saharan Africa, only trains 83 engineers per million of the population each year, compared to 1,000 in industrialised countries.

May I remind you that India, China and even Japan didn’t start with ground breaking technological inventions at first. They simply copied existing technology at a cheaper price.

As I said before, you have ‘given up’. Don’t expect the rest of us to QUIT. See you at your next Nigeria Bashing session.
Re: Nigerian Student Invents Bio-diesel From Vegetable Oil by Kobojunkie: 9:33pm On May 05, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Kobo

My first point is very simple. You come across as disgruntled, rabid and bitter in your posts. What have you done or achieved at your age that gives you the right to challenge this boy?

Sigh!! This is the sorry part of having to interact with folks like you. You are never really able to disconnect self from discussions, are you? Can you please show me a single line in my post were I actually attack this boy?

It is really immature of you to, at this point, come in to a chat forum to announce that another comes off as being bitter simply for asking you straight up and direct questions for which you do not seem able to answer. Why not focus on the article here rather than the person? This thread is about an invention and awards. Why can you not stick to the topic ever?

Sigh!!!

Anywho, you can take it that I am done. No worries, I will not bother you with my questions since I now know it is not worth it. Have a nice life!!
Re: Nigerian Student Invents Bio-diesel From Vegetable Oil by naijaking1: 10:15pm On May 05, 2009
Nobody is against young Nigerians modifying, adapting, adopting, perfecting, and even 're-inventing' certain well known concepts and ideas, but why use the term "invent"

India, China, and Japan did not invent computers, telephone or even cars, but everybody knows that they have indeed perfected these ideas.

The more we delude ourselves with this invention stupidity, the more we loose efforts to perfect and modify these concepts to suit our own environment.
Re: Nigerian Student Invents Bio-diesel From Vegetable Oil by SapeleGuy: 10:42pm On May 05, 2009
No malice intended, I was merely asking us to examine ourselves first before ridiculing other people who have stepped up to the plate. If you were not ridiculing the boy, then of course I was wrong and stand corrected.

The boy has not claimed to 'invent' anything. The problem is with the journalists.

By rubbishing the young mans  effort, you might as well say that achebe or soyinka shouldn't have written their books because other western authors have already written millions of books.

The key question here should be: is there a market for this product?
Re: Nigerian Student Invents Bio-diesel From Vegetable Oil by Kobojunkie: 11:43pm On May 05, 2009
Now I wonder what happened to the many claims of inventing a cure for AIDS? I remember someone on here claimed to know for a fact that that was sure. We are talking some 2 years ago. Oh, wait, now I remember! The guy claimed the western governments wanted to make sure his INVENTION never saw daylight and so refused to support/fund him. Roflmao!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jonathan Meets Igbo Elders Over South-east Development / Buhari To Attend ECOWAS Meeting In Niamey / DHQ Approves Fund For Upgrade Of Mechanic School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.