Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,175 members, 7,957,396 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 12:00 PM

IGR: 5 Reasons Why Northern States Perform Poorly - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / IGR: 5 Reasons Why Northern States Perform Poorly (22527 Views)

Why Northern Leaders Worked Against Jonathan’s Govt – Paul Unongo / 6 Critical Reasons Why Northern Nigeria Remains The Poorest - Sen. Shehu Sani / IGR: Poor And Rich States In Nigeria - Economic Confidential (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: IGR: 5 Reasons Why Northern States Perform Poorly by kannymoore(m): 6:25pm On Oct 26, 2015
GodMode:

The north only produced groundnut then..

The SW cocoa and farmlands with the SE coal and farmland with SS farmland and fishery with central Nigeria's rice and farmland was what built Nigeria..

There is no farmland in the north... Its a desert region..

Don't be deceived by what you read and hear..

The north didn't only produce groundnuts oh.. They cultivated cotton in very commercial quantities..yea..Nigeria in the 60's was among the top 10 exporters of Cotton in the world.

They also were a prime producer of Shea Butter and Beef too.

1 Like

Re: IGR: 5 Reasons Why Northern States Perform Poorly by anonimi: 6:28pm On Oct 26, 2015
bushdoc9919:

The North also produced cotton, millet, and a host of other cash crops.(kolanut)....and also has a lot of mineral resources....even now.(Tin and columbite were big money earners for Nigeria in the 1960's and 70's.

As for desert.....it is only the borderland between Niger and Nigeria. Much of the North has lots of arable land for farming.

I believe you mean sahel.
There is no desert in Nigeria, specifically.

3 Likes

Re: IGR: 5 Reasons Why Northern States Perform Poorly by GodMode: 6:30pm On Oct 26, 2015
kannymoore:

The north didn't only produce groundnuts oh.. They cultivated cotton in very commercial quantities..yea..Nigeria in the 60's was among the top 10 cultivators of Cotton in the world.

They also were a prime producer of Shea Butter and Beef too.

The school I attended in the south has many cotton trees..

The north has a desert problem... It can't be used for farming...
Re: IGR: 5 Reasons Why Northern States Perform Poorly by GodMode: 6:33pm On Oct 26, 2015
bushdoc9919:

I see the issue I thought I was discussing with you is not what I thought it was.

Good evening.

You're discussing mineral resources.. I'm discussing farming..

If the north had used its mineral resources then it won't be this poor...

1 Like

Re: IGR: 5 Reasons Why Northern States Perform Poorly by kannymoore(m): 6:41pm On Oct 26, 2015
GodMode:

The school I attended in the south has many cotton trees..

The north has a desert problem... It can't be used for farming...

My Brother,

Israel is actually a desert.

Yet they produce more food than they actually need.

Libya.. Egypt, Sudan and many of the North African countries are predominantly desert yet they have food security.

Nigeria should improve on its agricultural systems.. build bigger and more ultramodern silos... and improve greatly on the prevailing methods of transporting farm produce over great distances without the goods getting spoilt along the way so that both farmers, the middlemen and consumers can have value for their money.

Yes, the school you may have attended might have many cotton trees yet they aren't up to 1/100th of the number of Cotton trees..nay.. Farms that abound in the North.

1 Like

Re: IGR: 5 Reasons Why Northern States Perform Poorly by kannymoore(m): 6:45pm On Oct 26, 2015
anonimi:

I believe you mean sahel.
There is no desert in Nigeria, specifically.

I agree with you, tho 80%. grin

There's actually a bit of desert at the extreme tips of the most northernmost states of nigeria.

Many villages that were once rife over there have all disappeared and have been taken over by the sahara.
Re: IGR: 5 Reasons Why Northern States Perform Poorly by 400billionman: 7:50pm On Oct 26, 2015
Nigeria has serious problems.

When God created this world, he didnt create us to suffer this way..
Re: IGR: 5 Reasons Why Northern States Perform Poorly by omonnakoda: 7:55pm On Oct 26, 2015
They do not perform poorly

Re: IGR: 5 Reasons Why Northern States Perform Poorly by kannymoore(m): 7:56pm On Oct 26, 2015
400billionman:
Nigeria has serious problems.

When God created this world, he didnt create us to suffer this way..

Naija no get problem..

Na we Nigerians dey create problems for ouselves where none really exist!
Re: IGR: 5 Reasons Why Northern States Perform Poorly by Nobody: 8:27pm On Oct 26, 2015
GodMode:

Oil was found in 1957.. So before 1970 there was oil...

The north only produced groundnut then..

The SW cocoa and farmlands with the SE coal and farmland with SS farmland and fishery with central Nigeria's rice and farmland was what built Nigeria..

There is no farmland in the north... Its a desert region..

Don't be deceived by what you read and hear..
oil was found in 1957. Do u know how long it takes o build refineries? Our economy did not move to a dependence on oil till d 70's. Thats when d oil boom started.

1 Like

Re: IGR: 5 Reasons Why Northern States Perform Poorly by zanga420: 9:13pm On Oct 26, 2015
Martins301:

Each region has its fair share of problems. Non is an exception. Suggest solutions.
truth bros
Re: IGR: 5 Reasons Why Northern States Perform Poorly by Nobody: 9:24pm On Oct 26, 2015
bushdoc9919:
To all those crying about Northern parasites and how the North is draining this country.....I gat one question for you all?

[size=14pt]'What would you do if the oil ran out next week?'[/size]

Of course, the answer is that the whole of Southern society will collapse. The South will revert to the stone age within a week.

Now, I am a Southerner, and yes....I think the North is too dependent on Southern oil.

I also think that the South is too dependent on Southern oil.

And that worries me a lot....because right now, everyone else is producing oil.

Here is a statisitic that should bother you.

In 1996.....America bought half of Nigerian oil. Today....it buys 3%.

Does that tell you something. (And no, it has nothing to do with the North).

You see, the South has the advantage in education, and in development. But since the 1980's, that advantage has not been used to develop the South much better. Right now....the South does not have enough factories, industries, and technical plants. Our kids are enrolled in school at high rates.....and yet...they graduate and have no jobs. (At least the Northern kid who grows up in some village without school can do farming and some business. The Southern kid who spent long time in school, and now has Masters and PhD can do nothing with his hands).

What's more....the average Southern youth is not using his hands AND education to solve problems. For instance.....can anyone tell me the name of any Nigerian company that can manufacture an oil rig from scratch? Can anyone tell me the name of a Nigerian company that can manufacture a cheap cell phone that rural dwellers can use to call people and connect to the internet? Can anyone tell me the name of any Nigerian company that can manufacture a car from scratch? How about a working rifle? Anyone?

The South is just as underdeveloped as the North. What is the use of education when all you do with it is go to work in some oil company or bank at the end of the day...and chop money.....with your engineering degree. What problems have you solved with your degree?

So stop calling the North parasites. We Southerners are just as parasitic as they are. Yes....we are better educated, we are relatively prosperous....but it is a false prosperity built on just chopping money....not working for it.

True story.
Re: IGR: 5 Reasons Why Northern States Perform Poorly by GodMode: 9:32pm On Oct 26, 2015
janellemonae:

oil was found in 1957. Do u know how long it takes o build refineries? Our economy did not move to a dependence on oil till d 70's. Thats when d oil boom started.

1957 was the year they told Nigerian leaders they found oil... It takes 3 years to build a refinery..

1 Like

Re: IGR: 5 Reasons Why Northern States Perform Poorly by ChappyChase: 12:22am On Oct 27, 2015
Martins301:

Ethnic warlord, Nigeria is just a little over 100 years old. 40 decades is 400 years.
Bro you wrong, a decade equals 10years, a Score equals 20 and a century equals 100.. So, the other guy is right...
Re: IGR: 5 Reasons Why Northern States Perform Poorly by Nobody: 6:36am On Oct 27, 2015
ChappyChase:

Bro you wrong, a decade equals 10years, a Score equals 20 and a century equals 100.. So, the other guy is right...

Am sure u did not read the quoted text properly. Go back and read it carefully Mr ITK.
Re: IGR: 5 Reasons Why Northern States Perform Poorly by luswitz(f): 12:04pm On Oct 27, 2015
saintkel:
U forgot rape. Mind u dat North got dos figures as IGR becos most business men and women r from d south
what stopped the northern men and women from going into business? Not an excuse.
Re: IGR: 5 Reasons Why Northern States Perform Poorly by saintkel(m): 1:42pm On Oct 27, 2015
luswitz:
what stopped the northern men and women from going into business? Not an excuse.
aunty are u for me or against me?
Re: IGR: 5 Reasons Why Northern States Perform Poorly by luswitz(f): 1:50pm On Oct 27, 2015
saintkel:
aunty are u for me or against me?
I am for u sir grin it's a backup statement for urs..
Re: IGR: 5 Reasons Why Northern States Perform Poorly by saintkel(m): 1:55pm On Oct 27, 2015
luswitz:
I am for u sir grin it's a backup statement for urs..
Smiles, tnx aunty, I bot u flowers!!!!

1 Like

Re: IGR: 5 Reasons Why Northern States Perform Poorly by Sagamite(m): 12:10pm On Oct 31, 2015
kannymoore:

But countries like Malaysia, Indonesia and Turkey are predominantly Moslem yet they aren't technologically backward in any way or are they?

First of all, have you thought of how advanced they are in comparisons to advanced countries and their peers?

Secondly, have you thought about their governance system to understand why they are more advanced?

In Turkey, Ataturk (their legendary leader) banned the input of Islam in running the country in the 1920s. Not only that, they supressed Islamists and women were not allowed to where Hijab in schools or government buildings.

This was after they lost all their Ottoman Empire power due to their religious restrictions letting rivals overtake them and overthrowing them. Ataturk decided, fck it, "I am going to imitate the West. Keep your Islam in your home and mosques".

The Malaysia you mentioned, how does it compare with Singapore?

Let me inform you that Singapore is a mere city that is in the middle of Malaysia. It is what is called a City-State. It was part of Malaysia but decided to leave the Union.

It is like Lagos State leaving Nigeria and then forming its own country.

Singapore's former President, Lee Kuan Yew, (regarded as its founding father) utilised the city-state's multiculturalism better than Malaysia to develop the economy. He turned the place from like a Nigeria to an advanced country in less than 30 years because he did not believe in religion and forced society to abandon it in public policy. Hence why Singapore is more advanced than Malaysia.

Singapore is first world. Malaysia, which has Islam as centre of its governance, is second world. Same country, same people. It is similar to the remarkable difference you see between Southwestern Nigerian muslims and Northern Nigerian Muslims.

The SWners are more relaxed about religion running their lives, they even inter-marry with Christians and keep their religions to their homes. They are the model of Muslims people like and can co-habit with. The North see Islam running their lives as virtually the only option. Guess which of these 2 Muslims is more advanced?

Even the Christians in SW cannot claim to be more advanced than the Muslims in SW.

Even in the Malaysia you mentioned, the people dominating the economy are the 25% Chinese citizens of the country and making it the advanced country it is, despite it being a Islamic country. The Muslims are busy doing Allahu Akbar.

Also go ahead and compare India to Pakistan.

Indonesia is really nothing to write home about in regards to advanced nations. It is barely over the threshold.

Also you might have missed the point. I never said countries with predominantly muslims cannot progress. I said:

When you bury yourself and life in a religion and let theocracy (especially one like Islam) be a major influence in your policy-making and ways of working, it is highly likely to impact your economic activities and hold you back (both economically and mental-development-wise).

When they let their religion be centre of policy-making is when they have problems/limitations.

That is why the West overtook the Ottoman Empire.

That is why SW muslims are more successful and advanced than Northern muslims.

That is why Singapore is more advanced than Malaysia.

That is why India is more advanced than Pakistan/Bangladesh.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: IGR: 5 Reasons Why Northern States Perform Poorly by oyatz(m): 4:33pm On Mar 27, 2017
Before oil was discovered, Nigeria practiced true federalism with each region deeding ITSELF and pay tax to Federal Government.
Please don't spread falsehood that t North was feeding the whole Country.

[quote author=ArcIbrahim38 post=39381629][/quote]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Niger Bobi Grazing Reserve Comes Alive, Decades After / Ebonyi Journalist, Godfrey Chikwere Hospitalised After Being Arrested By Police / 2023: APC To Swap Offices Between North, South In Agreed Zoning Formula

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.