Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,584 members, 7,820,112 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:58 AM

Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. (55245 Views)

Open Letter To Second Class And Third Class Graduates / Can A Third Class Degree Holder Get A Job??? / A Third-class Graduate Now Turning Down Job Offers From Multinationals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by baminasri(m): 1:17pm On Nov 10, 2015
Right now, I find it very hard to call myself a Nigerian. What is the point of pledging loyalty to a country that cares not for the HND graduates?

As an HND holder, I graduated with distinction (Top of my class)from the top polytechnic in Nigeria. With high hopes, I applied for the ongoing shell graduate recruitment. The recruitment process involves an online registration and series of online aptitude tests prior to oral interview. What broke my heart during the registration was when I saw the column fo where to indicate your class of degree. First option was first class. Second was second class upper. Third was second class lower and the fourth was third class/HND.
This means that irrespective of your grade in the polytechnic, shell sees you as a third class graduate.
Well, I have moved on. Better things ahead. My advice to HND holders is to embrace entrepreneurship. That way, we can gain respect in the society. And for the country called Nigeria that have refused to stop this BSc/HND dichtonomy, what out for HND holders who will shape the economy soon!!!

158 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by baminasri(m): 1:22pm On Nov 10, 2015
@ mods, please move this to the front page for the world to see!!!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by Emasel(m): 1:27pm On Nov 10, 2015
Why would Shell do this?

There are some smart HND graduates, I've met a few.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by cheeketo(f): 1:32pm On Nov 10, 2015
that issue spoiled my whole day, i started the application today, and the process has been going on well until i get a regret message after i filled in my class, which is not available, so i picked the HND option. its so painful, cos i wasted my whole morning, wouldn't have bothered if i was told HND shouldn't apply.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by ajasa4link: 1:32pm On Nov 10, 2015
Thank God you said you have moved on, that's the best you can do. Its pathetic how the job market is now,which is due to the unemployment crisis. There are few jobs around and the companies offering them set standards which they deem fit. The truth is you cannot fault shell for deciding to employ whomever they wish to, its our government in years past that has continued to failed us.

20 Likes

Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by baminasri(m): 1:39pm On Nov 10, 2015
ajasa4link:
Thank God you said you have moved on, that's the best you can do. Its pathetic how the job market is now,which is due to the unemployment crisis. There are few jobs around and the companies offering them set standards which they deem fit. The truth is you cannot fault shell for deciding to employ whomever they wish to, its our government in years past that has continued to failed us.

very true!!!, I blame the government for their slow speed in ending this dichtonomy. As for shell, how can they equate a distinction graduate with a 3rd class graduate!!!.... What a pity.

21 Likes

Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by tempem: 1:44pm On Nov 10, 2015
So disturbing....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by baminasri(m): 1:47pm On Nov 10, 2015
Even the banks are not exempted. Hardly will you see a bank (except wema) that accept HND graduates as a graduate trainee. They are mainly contract staff earning just 30 percent of their BSc counterparts. Yet the rate of efficiency in their work can not be over ruled.
When I was a bank teller, there was a colleague of ours (contract staff) who was the only staff skilled in funds transfer and treating other banks cheques. If he is absent for 1 day, the branch will shake. Even the full staff can not perform like him. Yet, he has spent longer years with the bank than the branch manager and he still earns 83k till date. Guess how much the manager earns...........?

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by Methylblack(m): 1:56pm On Nov 10, 2015
Cc: lalasticlala

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by Adesiji77: 2:08pm On Nov 10, 2015
HND holders haff suffered... sad

3 Likes

Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by dadebayo1(m): 2:09pm On Nov 10, 2015
Ok
Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by ayomide74: 2:09pm On Nov 10, 2015
HND holders what's the english of English

2 Likes

Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by gaetano: 2:09pm On Nov 10, 2015
lipsrsealed
Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by fratermathy(m): 2:10pm On Nov 10, 2015
This is getting too old and stale.

While I do not support totally embarrassing HND graduates and denying them of promotions, appointments and a chance to make a successful career, it should be noted that HND and B.Sc/B.A/B.Agric/B.Tech/LL.B/B.Fisheries/MBBS/DVM are different and the dichotomy must be emphasised.
HND is a technical diploma. It is technically not even a Degree but a National Diploma. B.Sc and its other appellations are the recognised standard for academic, theoretical and career based jobs and appointments. That is not to say HND cannot be used. It is just that HND is better off for handy middle-levelled and technical jobs/careers. The whole essence of HND is to make sure that there are middle-levelled skilled people in the society that can be called upon and relied on for their technical expertise. University graduates are seen as having done a theoretical study with much intellectual rigour and are, thus, deemed to have a high intellectual acuity for certain professions and careers. This must be known and not relegated. No matter how much sentiments come in and no matter how much we try to equate these certifications, the sacrosanct fact is that they are not the same. As long as one is a "Diploma" and another is a "Degree", they can NEVER be treated equal and same.

On the issue of Shell equating HND with Third Class, I have iterated in the previous paragraph that HND is not seen as an intellectually inclined degree but rather as a technically inclined diploma. Having a Distinction in HND only proves that you have an excellent technical expertise, perhaps even beyond that of University Degree holders. However, this does not translate into the fact that you are intellectually buoyant enough to stand a University First Class product. It doesn't add up. For one, our Nigerian Polytechnics operate a 4 points GPA system as opposed to the 5 Points used in our Nigerian varsities. Secondly, the units of courses taken in HND programmes are far lower, both individually and cumulatively, when compared with a University. Thirdly, the course contents in Polytechnics are peripheral and elementary as opposed to that of a University! Fourthly, the calibre of academic staff and their standing is much lower than that of a University. For one, a Polytechnic cannot have a Professorial Cadre! Polytechnics usually have substandard facilities and make-shift labs and instruments. All these come together to haunt the graduates of Nigerian Polytechnics!

The solution to all these bifurcations is easy. Polytechnics should be made to award a B.Tech rather than an "Ordinary" or "Higher" diploma. Polytechnic facilities should be overhauled and made to standards. The Professorial Cadre, alongside its competitive and cumbersome "floating" process, should be introduced to the Polytechnics. Polytechnics should employ the 5 or more Points GPA system and courses should be well developed, standard and carry higher units! In fact, the term "Polytechnic" should be hijacked from parlance and replaced with University of Technology or any other soothing appellation. We should always strive to follow the UK pattern in our technological pedagogical system.

Finally, on the issue of ostracization and stigmatization, I believe it is only Nigerian Legislative Bodies that can end this once and for all. As long as they are comfortable with it, nothing will change! Let's just stop flogging this issue and look forward to better things! This issue has been discussed, ignited and quenched severally since Nigerian employers' decisions to employ preferential treatments! It is time we either take drastic measures or simply let it go as we have always done.

#MyTake
Mr. Baminasri, I am sorry about your plight! Your best is yet to come. I'd advise you to get a PGD and possibly a Masters though.

CC:
Freemanan, Freeemanan, Goodboiy, Scholes0, LordAdam; What do you think? wink

332 Likes 44 Shares

Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by steffans(m): 2:10pm On Nov 10, 2015
I don't blame dem..

Former head of service Oronsaye said.. The two can't be compared..

So will u blame shell?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by yorke1: 2:10pm On Nov 10, 2015
If you know what is good for you, take JAMB and apply for university degree

27 Likes

Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by satowind(m): 2:10pm On Nov 10, 2015
But is true nah

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by wolesmile(m): 2:10pm On Nov 10, 2015
I know quite a number of HND holders that are far better than BSc holders...... in all ramifications!!!

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by Smartlife(m): 2:10pm On Nov 10, 2015
That's Nigeria for you. The government have made it look like primary school cert. But some other oil companies employ hnd... Just keep looking and back it up with prayers.... Btech could have make sense had it been those stupid house of Senate pass it into bill, but they won't. It's only wardrope allowance them sabi

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by ibkgab001: 2:10pm On Nov 10, 2015
Be a Cassava farmer and with that shell MD will be your best friend

1 Like

Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by macaranta(m): 2:10pm On Nov 10, 2015
OP I understand how you feel,However Shell reserves the right to employ who they feel is right for their business.I think the SITP was for HNDs ,dunno if they've stopped it.
On a lighter note,the way you guys are just beefing shell,hmm soon they'll start doing under G recruitment like their counterparts o

3 Likes

Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by Sasuwa(f): 2:10pm On Nov 10, 2015
They sho
Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by Hysmady(m): 2:10pm On Nov 10, 2015
Too bad embarassed ...Am not doing HND anymore, Will go for D.E...These people no longer respect polytechnic graduates

12 Likes

Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by Sijo01(f): 2:10pm On Nov 10, 2015
This is really a big issue. Our leaders, present and pass don't want to do something about it.
Well, to all HND holders, Please take heart and pray a messiah comes to your rescue sooner than later.
Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by donbugy(m): 2:11pm On Nov 10, 2015
Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by sanandreas(m): 2:11pm On Nov 10, 2015
There are alot of hnd graduate in shell. Change ur mindset. Shell is very just and fair in recruiting. You don't need to have somebody there. Apply pass all the stages of recruitment. U will get it. It's a long process though. Recruitment exercise can take up to six months. I know someone who was employed with Hnd from PTI recently.

13 Likes

Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by IDOHOU: 2:12pm On Nov 10, 2015
They are not the same. I agree no discrimination but then one edge the other. My current boss is an Hnd holder before getting his masters degree. Do your own and equate the Bsc at masters level or pass them to become Ph.D. Holder

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by instaforexngr(m): 2:12pm On Nov 10, 2015
baminasri:
Right now, I find it very hard to call myself a Nigerian. What is the point of pledging loyalty to a country that cares not for the HND graduates?

As an HND holder, I graduated with distinction (Top of my class)from the top polytechnic in Nigeria. With high hopes, I applied for the ongoing shell graduate recruitment. The recruitment process involves an online registration and series of online aptitude tests prior to oral interview. What broke my heart during the registration was when I saw the column fo where to indicate your class of degree. First option was first class. Second was second class upper. Third was second class lower and the fourth was third class/HND.
This means that irrespective of your grade in the polytechnic, shell sees you as a third class graduate.
Well, I have moved on. Better things ahead. My advice to HND holders is to embrace entrepreneurship. That way, we can gain respect in the society. And for the country called Nigeria that have refused to stop this BSc/HND dichtonomy, what out for HND holders who will shape the economy soon!!!
If shell does not offer you a job opportunity because of your qualification, then apply at other top companies.
Because last time I checked, not all HND holders are unemployed.

9 Likes

Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by airsaylongcon: 2:12pm On Nov 10, 2015
baminasri:
Even the banks are not exempted. Hardly will you see a bank (except wema) that accept HND graduates as a graduate trainee. They are mainly contract staff earning just 30 percent of their BSc counterparts. Yet the rate of efficiency in their work can not be over ruled.
When I was a bank teller, there was a colleague of ours (contract staff) who was the only staff skilled in funds transfer and treating other banks cheques. If he is absent for 1 day, the branch will shake. Even the full staff can not perform like him. Yet, he has spent longer years with the bank than the branch manager and he still earns 83k till date. Guess how much the manager earns...........?

While I agree with you that the pay may not be commensurate, please never ever equate a BM to other staff. The BM bears complete responsibility for the branch. Higher risk demand higher rewards

8 Likes

Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by satowind(m): 2:12pm On Nov 10, 2015
But is true nah

Any way take heart and stop wailing

Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by bolliejay(m): 2:14pm On Nov 10, 2015
HND holder too.......most annoying thing is that you have to have PDG before enrolling for MBA or Msc. Why not scrap Polytechnic than all dis humiliation?

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Lekki TV Company Asks For Light-skinned Girls In Job Ad, Nigerians React / Sales Executive At Guinness / Uninvited Lady Shows Up For Dana Airline Interview And Gets Job. See Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.