Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,276 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:25 AM

Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. - Jobs/Vacancies (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. (55184 Views)

Open Letter To Second Class And Third Class Graduates / Can A Third Class Degree Holder Get A Job??? / A Third-class Graduate Now Turning Down Job Offers From Multinationals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by tirex(m): 9:38pm On Nov 10, 2015
[quote author=fratermathy post=39874582]This is getting too old and stale.

While I do not support totally embarrassing HND graduates and denying them of promotions, appointments and a chance to make a successful career, it should be noted that HND and B.Sc/B.A/B.Agric/B.Tech/LL.B/B.Fisheries/MBBS/DVM are different and the dichotomy must be emphasised.
HND is a technical diploma. It is technically not even a Degree but a National Diploma. B.Sc and its other appellations are the recognised standard for academic, theoretical and career based jobs and appointments. That is not to say HND cannot be used. It is just that HND is better off for handy middle-levelled and technical jobs/careers. The whole essence of HND is to make sure that there are middle-levelled skilled people in the society that can be called upon and relied on for their technical expertise. University graduates are seen as having done a theoretical study with much intellectual rigour and are, thus, deemed to have a high intellectual acuity for certain professions and careers. This must be known and not relegated. No matter how much sentiments come in and no matter how much we try to equate these certifications, the sacrosanct fact is that they are not the same. As long as one is a "Diploma" and another is a "Degree", they can NEVER be treated equal and same.

On the issue of Shell equating HND with Third Class, I have iterated in the previous paragraph that HND is not seen as an intellectually inclined degree but rather as a technically inclined diploma. Having a Distinction in HND only proves that you have an excellent technical expertise, perhaps even beyond that of University Degree holders. However, this does not translate into the fact that you are intellectually buoyant enough to stand a University First Class product. It doesn't add up. For one, our Nigerian Polytechnics operate a 4 points GPA system as opposed to the 5 Points used in our Nigerian varsities. Secondly, the units of courses taken in HND programmes are far lower, both individually and cumulatively, when compared with a University. Thirdly, the course contents in Polytechnics are peripheral and elementary as opposed to that of a University! Fourthly, the calibre of academic staff and their standing is much lower than that of a University. For one, a Polytechnic cannot have a Professorial Cadre! Polytechnics usually have substandard facilities and make-shift labs and instruments. All these come together to haunt the graduates of Nigerian Polytechnics!

The solution to all these bifurcations is easy. Polytechnics should be made to award a B.Tech rather than an "Ordinary" or "Higher" diploma. Polytechnic facilities should be overhauled and made to standards. The Professorial Cadre, alongside its competitive and cumbersome "floating" process, should be introduced to the Polytechnics. Polytechnics should employ the 5 or more Points GPA system and courses should be well developed, standard and carry higher units! In fact, the term "Polytechnic" should be hijacked from parlance and replaced with University of Technology or any other soothing appellation. We should always strive to follow the UK pattern in our technological pedagogical system.

Finally, on the issue of ostracization and stigmatization, I believe it is only Nigerian Legislative Bodies that can end this once and for all. As long as they are comfortable with it, nothing will change! Let's just stop flogging this issue and look forward to better things! This issue has been discussed, ignited and quenched severally since Nigerian employers' decisions to employ preferential treatments! It is time we either take drastic measures or simply let it go as we have always done.

#MyTake
Mr. Baminasri, I am sorry about your plight! Your best is yet to come. I'd advise you to get a PGD and possibly a Masters though.

CC:
Freemanan, Freeemanan, Goodboiy, Scholes0, LordAdam; What do you think? wink[/quote

You try, but some of those things arent true..like the courses offered
Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by lilmizwierd(f): 9:58pm On Nov 10, 2015
Alani86:

As a human being, I can say I'm 99% sure that neither of you can withstand this guy in any aptitude test! Most of you only by chance carry empty certificates about. What makes you think you are more privileged than he is, for being a university graduate? Only time and chance, if you care to know.

By God's grace, I finished with second class upper from a prestigious university. Yet, I know there are several HND holders who are more intelligent and creative than I am. I just wonder what shell and the likes look for in an applicant; is it the certificate or the brain/personality?
I see a fleet of Bsc holders with little or no brian, let alone a comely ATTITUDE.

In conclusion, I'll advise you and anyone who's in your shoes to please try as much as possible to step it up. You might be the one your generation is waiting for to stop this madness. Do everything possible (with God) to take the mantle and correct the wrong. You can never be limited by anybody, let alone a piece of paper called certificate!
Geez man u try o I don't read more than 5 lines la
and am a year 1 students if I graduate at this age even shell won't gimme cleaner job
Dude am not federal government o :O :O :O
or shell shey they have public complaint hotline U can use that , by the way you get sugar I want to eat cornslakes tongue tongue tongue
Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by Arogba: 10:01pm On Nov 10, 2015
chyna4luv:

Well said bro, that is the courage. I'm an HND am not moved by the dichotomy. working as a contract staff and currently enrolled for PGD programme.

Regards,
Chyna4luv
Bro, I work with a multinational and the so called university first class graduates are not even half as good as i am. They're always in my shadows!
Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by 50pseamer(m): 10:04pm On Nov 10, 2015
For those that are Bad mouthing Polythecnics here it only shows the your level of close mindedness and inability to look at issues in a more objective manner, speaking as a First class Honours Bachelor of Engineering Degree holder from europe, who also had an HND from Yabatech,
If you all think Nigeria will go forward by badmouthing our HND graduates you are only decieving your self and only a foolish Government will say HND Is middle level manpower. Please those that are intellectual here , if ND already qualifies you to be a technician , and a technician is already on the middle level cadre , why should HND still be middle level? in the UK HND is acquired in just 2 years in Nigeria 5 years and we are supposed to have inherited it from England who have moved on long ago and left bitterness and backwardness behind.
why do HND in engineering students have to study control systems , Advanced Calculus , Advanced Circuit theory in the case of Electrical Engineering, when these are mostly design tilted courses that are needed at the level of an Engineer, and someone will say they are technicians.
Most of the people parading themselves here as UNI graduate claiming they are superior and they have professors in their mostly quack Universities can not point to one single ground breaking research they have made, whereas Universities are made for research, when i was at yabatech ND students were helping some of these people solve their assignments. If you have not been to a polythecnic please watch your utterances, at least as someone who is at a masters level and have studied in different countries by the grace of God, I have seen that there is very little difference in the two titles , and the major difference is that they serve different purposes, they should be equivalent and made equal, if an institution in America evaluated the course content of HND in Electrical Engineering from The Polythecnic Ibadan and adjudged it to be equivalent to a bachelors degree, it only shows the useless attitude of the Nigerian Government and some Uni graduate who would rather talk than do research and get facts , compare course content, compare practical depth and evaluate the value of extra practical rigour and what its equivalence is in terms of theoretical knowledge. are you telling me that Nigeria as a country or your University professors are better than America or even its Educational establishment, what major contribution has Nigeria and our theory Bachelor holders made to the science world? please mention any serious invention and i will take you more seriously.In countries like Germany their sort of Polythecnic is equal to thier University and by law discrimination is not allowed , is Nigeria any better than Germany or England? that did the same. all you guys know is hating , badmouting and pulling others down, even though we have nothing to show for the stupid policies. The fact is that to be theoretically competent you dont need a professor you can pick any book and if you have a brain and patience you will understand. to carry out research you can follow generally laid down guidelines and do so without a proffessor, but having some depth of theory and a mastery of applied Technology and practice in Nigeria can almost only be found in the polythecnics in Nigeria. Keep supporting a nonsense and hope for technological advancement, as for me i know that a million Engineers from the University without our Technological partners and colleages will get nothing serious done, in the case of Engineering we are a family, and the earlier equal status is Given to HND and BSC in engineering the better, because when we discourage people from getting the ND because of fear of HND and we end up having little or no technicians in the future , tell me where you will find the work force that will drive industry repair our machines and build our power stations , placing a peg and useless impediments in the way of people is never a way forward . those that talk about entry requirements, how about the predegree program done at the Universities in nigeria for students not meeting basic requirements , does that not show that that is not a yardstick for discrimination , because the poly students stay longer to conpensate for this in the case of some other courses apart from engineering where more practical rigour coupled with advanced courses should have compensated for this , in most cases the poly students have more than the required credits , in my case i had credit and above in all courses from my first sitting for SSCE at the end of my secondary school, had admission to study computer science at Lasu but chose yabatech,and i dont regret it i only regret the ignorance of my beloved country and i pity our future.

7 Likes

Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by 50pseamer(m): 10:06pm On Nov 10, 2015
oshom09:

Good writeup bro, but I equally disagree with some of your points(differentiating points) in respective of how sweet u made it look like with your big oyinbo's......lol
But honestly speaking have promised myself not to comments or say anything relating to the dichotomy and stigmatization between the 2 certificates....
I went to a polytechnic and graduated untop of my class some years back and I later decided to go back to the university after my Nysc to prevent and avoid being a subject of criticism of the egocentric BSC graduates... I have tested the 2 higher institution and I can easily points out the weak points of both.
Whetter u believe it or not, Universities are only enjoying probably the past glory of the hard worked forefathers......if I want to grade the new generation of university lecturers and curriculum u claimed to be well equipped,..... Oga, na sorry case...
I have particularly corrected professors guffing in classroom many times, professor get confused in class and their counterpart doctors fumbling in class........Although nobody is an island of knowledge, if yes,then they shouldn't make university graduate one.
when I got admitted, the so called university undergraduate respect me a lot and even till now (thanks to God), because they know what God as down in my life by attending polytechnic and they yell for the knowledge they cannot acquire from the google downloaded crammed materials which they eventually forget after exams because I noticed professors want a replicate of what they gave u......
u also claimed they have facilities, I know u meant outdated and scrap facilities of the oldies...
(I can see how the theories we lent in the university have been put to practice, u can see how we are designing aeroplanes and the likes)
I wouldn't talk about polytechnic feebles /advantages, since all have the believe that polytechnics are useless and have nothing to offer technically nor practically...
I will only advice the polytechnic graduate to get a DE form like i did and go and do what they do in the university to safe yourself from any dichotomy and embarrassment from Nigeria's university graduate.....
Discrimination is part of this word and safe yourself from one..........
we have
tribalism
racism
sexism
and the likes......
save yourself from one
For those that are Bad mouthing Polythecnics here it only shows the your level of close mindedness and inability to look at issues in a more objective manner, speaking as a First class Honours Bachelor of Engineering Degree holder from europe, who also had an HND from Yabatech,
If you all think Nigeria will go forward by badmouthing our HND graduates you are only decieving your self and only a foolish Government will say HND Is middle level manpower. Please those that are intellectual here , if ND already qualifies you to be a technician , and a technician is already on the middle level cadre , why should HND still be middle level?
why do HND in engineering students have to study control systems , Advanced Calculus , Advanced Circuit theory in the case of Electrical Engineering, when these are mostly design tilted courses that is needed at the level of an Engineer, and someone will say they are technicians.
Most of the people parading themselves here as Uni graduate claiming they are superior and they have professors in their mostly quack Universities can not point to one single ground breaking research they have made, whereas Universities are made for research mostly, when i was at yabatech ND students were helping some of these people solve their assignments. If you have not been to a polythecnic please watch your utterances, at least as some one with Masters level education from a University and have studied in different countries by the grace of God. I have seen that there is very little difference in the two titles , and the major difference is that they serve different purposes, they should be equivalent and made equal, if America could evaluate the course content of HND in Electrical Engineering from The Polythecnic Ibadan and adjudge it to be equivalent to a bachelors degree, it only shows the useless attitude of the Nigerian Government and some Uni graduate who would rather talk than do research and get facts , compare course content, compare practical depth and evaluate the value of extra practical rigour and what its equivalence is in terms of theoretical knowledge. are you telling me that nigeria as a country or your University professors are better than America or even its Educational establishment, what major contribution has Nigeria and our theory Bachelor holders made to the science world, please mention any serious invention and i will take you more seriously.In countries like Germany their sort of Polythecnic is equal to thier Universityand by law discrimination is not allowed , is Nigeria any better than Germany, or England that has done the same. all you guys know is hatred , badmouting and pulling others down, even though we have nothing to show for the stupid policies. The fact is that to be theoretically competent you dont need a professor you can pick any book and if you have a brain and patience you will understand. to carry out research you can follow generally laid out guidelines and do so without a proffessor, but having some depth of theory and a mastery of applied Technology and practice in Nigeria can almost only be found in the polythecnics in Nigeria.
Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by jeamah1(m): 10:09pm On Nov 10, 2015
Your take is what I call #elucidating .

While I do not support totally embarrassing HND graduates and denying them of promotions, appointments and a chance to make a successful career, it should be noted that HND and B.Sc/B.A/B.Agric/B.Tech/LL.B/B.Fisheries/MBBS/DVM are different and the dichotomy must be emphasised.
HND is a technical diploma. It is technically not even a Degree but a National Diploma. B.Sc and its other appellations are the recognised standard for academic, theoretical and career based jobs and appointments. That is not to say HND cannot be used. It is just that HND is better off for handy middle-levelled and technical jobs/careers. The whole essence of HND is to make sure that there are middle-levelled skilled people in the society that can be called upon and relied on for their technical expertise. University graduates are seen as having done a theoretical study with much intellectual rigour and are, thus, deemed to have a high intellectual acuity for certain professions and careers. This must be known and not relegated. No matter how much sentiments come in and no matter how much we try to equate these certifications, the sacrosanct fact is that they are not the same. As long as one is a "Diploma" and another is a "Degree", they can NEVER be treated equal and same.

On the issue of Shell equating HND with Third Class, I have iterated in the previous paragraph that HND is not seen as an intellectually inclined degree but rather as a technically inclined diploma. Having a Distinction in HND only proves that you have an excellent technical expertise, perhaps even beyond that of University Degree holders. However, this does not translate into the fact that you are intellectually buoyant enough to stand a University First Class product. It doesn't add up. For one, our Nigerian Polytechnics operate a 4 points GPA system as opposed to the 5 Points used in our Nigerian varsities. Secondly, the units of courses taken in HND programmes are far lower, both individually and cumulatively, when compared with a University. Thirdly, the course contents in Polytechnics are peripheral and elementary as opposed to that of a University! Fourthly, the calibre of academic staff and their standing is much lower than that of a University. For one, a Polytechnic cannot have a Professorial Cadre! Polytechnics usually have substandard facilities and make-shift labs and instruments. All these come together to haunt the graduates of Nigerian Polytechnics!

The solution to all these bifurcations is easy. Polytechnics should be made to award a B.Tech rather than an "Ordinary" or "Higher" diploma. Polytechnic facilities should be overhauled and made to standards. The Professorial Cadre, alongside its competitive and cumbersome "floating" process, should be introduced to the Polytechnics. Polytechnics should employ the 5 or more Points GPA system and courses should be well developed, standard and carry higher units! In fact, the term "Polytechnic" should be hijacked from parlance and replaced with University of Technology or any other soothing appellation. We should always strive to follow the UK pattern in our technological pedagogical system.

Finally, on the issue of ostracization and stigmatization, I believe it is only Nigerian Legislative Bodies that can end this once and for all. As long as they are comfortable with it, nothing will change! Let's just stop flogging this issue and look forward to better things! This issue has been discussed, ignited and quenched severally since Nigerian employers' decisions to employ preferential treatments! It is time we either take drastic measures or simply let it go as we have always done.

#MyTake
Mr. Baminasri, I am sorry about your plight! Your best is yet to come. I'd advise you to get a PGD and possibly a Masters though.

CC:
Freemanan, Freeemanan, Goodboiy, Scholes0, LordAdam; What do you think? wink[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by bishoppapi: 10:59pm On Nov 10, 2015
wolesmile:
I know quite a number of HND holders that are far better than BSc holders...... in all ramifications!!!

How did you know? Show us evidences and statistics of this your research work.
Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by Chukboi(m): 11:15pm On Nov 10, 2015
Next time when you see that kind of thing....click on the qualification you think you are worth

1 Like

Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by LuckyLadolce(m): 11:36pm On Nov 10, 2015
ogawisdom:

Ur gf in uni is tot by profs n PhD holders while u r tot by bsc holders mainly. Ur jamb score is way lower n with incomplete waec result. Ur rectors r mostly msc holders while vc's r all profs. U r mostly 800 to 1500 in a class as opposed to 50 to 150 in unis, d very best lecturer dt tot u may not b qualified as an assistant lecturer in unis
What's ur take on these
One of those half baked grads who weren't taught the difference between"fact and assumption". Anyway, it's your opinion and you have an absolute right to it. So enjoy your right to opinion while it last. But don't jst go out there to put up this claptrap in the midst of people with great minds. You may be given inundated bash of your life for your shallow-minded and shortsighted way of reasoning.
Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by 4lorunsho(m): 11:52pm On Nov 10, 2015
Unitedabby:
my dear friend,i really do feel your plight.However,my honest advice to you is to take to entrepreneurship.Like i'll always tell fellow youths aspiring for success,sometimes its better to employ than be the employed.You see i'm a HND holder myself but had the resolve during my National diploma days to embrace entrepreneurship for a number of reasons of which this was one and today,to God be the glory,i co-own a registered agribusiness based here in Nigeria that has graduates on its payroll.My point is since white collar jobs et al are not handy anymore you have other options like becoming a necessity entrepreneur...you don't have to land a N1m jackpot to enable you fund a viable business idea.With as small as 50k depending on your current financial muscle,i bet you're good to go and then you can leverage subsequently.I started very small my brother but the entity is relatively big now and still growing.so think about it as self pity wont help your situation but rather get you depressed.ALL THE BEST!
can I talk to u personally on whatsapp
Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by haywire07(m): 11:53pm On Nov 10, 2015
Ken saro wiwa
Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by 4lorunsho(m): 11:56pm On Nov 10, 2015
fratermathy:

This is a new system, I presume. It is almost like the new University grading system where 40-45 is not recognised as a pass grade. If it is not new then I acknowledge that I just found out now.
I know very well that Polytechnic education is not as easy as it seems because the lecturers make it difficult for reasons best known to them. However, some lapses in the overall system must be corrected accordingly.
my brother I luv all ur post cuz u take every tin calmly #peace

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by Mekzmoney(m): 12:25am On Nov 11, 2015
Trash...
ayusco85:

bros no offense but read this;

This article is my opinion on reasona why Bsc is Superior to HND

Success in life should not be determined by our alma mater. I believe that everybody has a chance to be successful whether they went to a university or polytechnic. Our success is in our hands. This write-up is not meant to degrade HND holders. I am one of those that are strongly against the discrimination against HND holders. However, the reality on ground (due to the discrimination) is that BSc is still more superior to HND and I have given reasons below to state the obvious but bitter truth.

1 Entrance Qualification – The entrance qualification to the university is more stringent than that to the polytechnic. The UTME cut off for universities is higher than that of polytechnics. All universities require a minimum of 5 credits in WASSCE/NECO while most polytechnics accept 4 credits as minimum requirement. It is well accepted that the entrance qualification to any institution says a lot about the prestige attached to such institution.

2 Quality of Lecturers– You cannot compare the quality of lecturers in the university to that of the polytechnic. Most university lecturers are professors and PhD holders with decades of teaching and research experience to show for it. Some of them are universally renowned professors. The head of universities are always renowned and experienced academic professors. Most Master degree holders in universities are mere assistant lecturers. The same cannot be said of polytechnics where most of their ‘experienced’ lecturers are mere BSc holders. Most rectors of polytechnics are Msc holders, only a few have PhD. Even corps members lecture polytechnic students. Has it ever occurred to you why polytechnics find it hard to employ even their own products (HND holders) to lecture? Instead, they employ mostly university grads to teach.

3 Research Work– University is the bedrock of research work. Research work lays the foundation of advancement and any sane society will rate any higher institution by the quality of their research. Unfortunately, the quality of research work in Nigerian universities is poor but this is still far better than that of polytechnics that do absolutely nothing (or very negligible research work).

4 Funding– Universities are much more funded than polytechnics. One of the metrics for determining the quality of an institution is the level of funding. No wonder, the government and the media pay more attention to the demand of ASUU over ASUP. Thus, you will expect a product of a university to be better trained than that of a polytechnic.

5 Quality of students – The brightest, youngest and most motivated students go to the universities. Go to a polytechnic and what you will see a lot of dejected, not-so-young students who have written UTME many times but have not succeeded. A few in the polytechnics are young and bright, but they are few and far between. The majority of young and bright students, just fresh from secondary school are found within the 4 walls of the university. Thus, most university grads are of higher intellectual quality than their poly counterparts.

6 Size and Beauty of Campus – A lot can be said about the quality of an institution by the architectural structures of the institutions. Let’s take the elite universities and polytechnics in Nigeria for instance. One cannot compare the architectural edifices in the prestigious OAU, UI, ABU, UNN, UNILAG, UNIBEN to that of Yabatech, Kadpoly, Auchi, Bida Poly or any polytechnic in Nigeria. No polytechnic in Nigeria can even compete with some 2nd and 3rd generation universities like FUT Minna, UniJos, FUTA, etc in terms of structures.

7 Preference / Demand – The preference for BSc is higher than for OND/HND. All or almost all aspiring students wish to go to the university. Employers generally prefer BSc holders over HND holders. HND holders are seen as middle level manpower (That was the intent when polytechnics were initially created). There are more opportunities for BSc holders not just within the country but outside Nigeria. Jobs and scholarship opportunities abound for BSc holders and undergraduates while it is almost non-existent for HND holders.

8 Self Esteem – Last but not the least, an average BSc holder is more confident than an average HND holder. This is however not the fault of HND holders who unfortunately have to face stiff discrimination in the labour market, thus negatively impacting on their self esteem.
Especially no; 5.

Amadioha go bend that ur mouth if u are nt careful.
Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by Mekzmoney(m): 12:28am On Nov 11, 2015
Trash

Especially no; 5 & 8....

And if u r nt careful, Amadioha go bend that ur mouth Iji Eli Ji Na Ede... grin

So beta watch ur tongue.
ayusco85:

bros no offense but read this;

This article is my opinion on reasona why Bsc is Superior to HND

Success in life should not be determined by our alma mater. I believe that everybody has a chance to be successful whether they went to a university or polytechnic. Our success is in our hands. This write-up is not meant to degrade HND holders. I am one of those that are strongly against the discrimination against HND holders. However, the reality on ground (due to the discrimination) is that BSc is still more superior to HND and I have given reasons below to state the obvious but bitter truth.

1 Entrance Qualification – The entrance qualification to the university is more stringent than that to the polytechnic. The UTME cut off for universities is higher than that of polytechnics. All universities require a minimum of 5 credits in WASSCE/NECO while most polytechnics accept 4 credits as minimum requirement. It is well accepted that the entrance qualification to any institution says a lot about the prestige attached to such institution.

2 Quality of Lecturers– You cannot compare the quality of lecturers in the university to that of the polytechnic. Most university lecturers are professors and PhD holders with decades of teaching and research experience to show for it. Some of them are universally renowned professors. The head of universities are always renowned and experienced academic professors. Most Master degree holders in universities are mere assistant lecturers. The same cannot be said of polytechnics where most of their ‘experienced’ lecturers are mere BSc holders. Most rectors of polytechnics are Msc holders, only a few have PhD. Even corps members lecture polytechnic students. Has it ever occurred to you why polytechnics find it hard to employ even their own products (HND holders) to lecture? Instead, they employ mostly university grads to teach.

3 Research Work– University is the bedrock of research work. Research work lays the foundation of advancement and any sane society will rate any higher institution by the quality of their research. Unfortunately, the quality of research work in Nigerian universities is poor but this is still far better than that of polytechnics that do absolutely nothing (or very negligible research work).

4 Funding– Universities are much more funded than polytechnics. One of the metrics for determining the quality of an institution is the level of funding. No wonder, the government and the media pay more attention to the demand of ASUU over ASUP. Thus, you will expect a product of a university to be better trained than that of a polytechnic.

5 Quality of students – The brightest, youngest and most motivated students go to the universities. Go to a polytechnic and what you will see a lot of dejected, not-so-young students who have written UTME many times but have not succeeded. A few in the polytechnics are young and bright, but they are few and far between. The majority of young and bright students, just fresh from secondary school are found within the 4 walls of the university. Thus, most university grads are of higher intellectual quality than their poly counterparts.

6 Size and Beauty of Campus – A lot can be said about the quality of an institution by the architectural structures of the institutions. Let’s take the elite universities and polytechnics in Nigeria for instance. One cannot compare the architectural edifices in the prestigious OAU, UI, ABU, UNN, UNILAG, UNIBEN to that of Yabatech, Kadpoly, Auchi, Bida Poly or any polytechnic in Nigeria. No polytechnic in Nigeria can even compete with some 2nd and 3rd generation universities like FUT Minna, UniJos, FUTA, etc in terms of structures.

7 Preference / Demand – The preference for BSc is higher than for OND/HND. All or almost all aspiring students wish to go to the university. Employers generally prefer BSc holders over HND holders. HND holders are seen as middle level manpower (That was the intent when polytechnics were initially created). There are more opportunities for BSc holders not just within the country but outside Nigeria. Jobs and scholarship opportunities abound for BSc holders and undergraduates while it is almost non-existent for HND holders.

8 Self Esteem – Last but not the least, an average BSc holder is more confident than an average HND holder. This is however not the fault of HND holders who unfortunately have to face stiff discrimination in the labour market, thus negatively impacting on their self esteem.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by Mekzmoney(m): 12:45am On Nov 11, 2015
Oga, me too ooh..... cheesy
I wasted my time, wasted d money I used to buy d time at d cafe, wasted my energy, in fact, wasted almost a whole day cos of bad netwrk at d CAFE sad
Baba God pass them.

Baboo13:
Who else wasted their time on the Shell application website?
Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by herrdeustch: 1:05am On Nov 11, 2015
baminasri:
Right now, I find it very hard to call myself a Nigerian. What is the point of pledging loyalty to a country that cares not for the HND graduates?

As an HND holder, I graduated with distinction (Top of my class)from the top polytechnic in Nigeria. With high hopes, I applied for the ongoing shell graduate recruitment. The recruitment process involves an online registration and series of online aptitude tests prior to oral interview. What broke my heart during the registration was when I saw the column fo where to indicate your class of degree. First option was first class. Second was second class upper. Third was second class lower and the fourth was third class/HND.
This means that irrespective of your grade in the polytechnic, shell sees you as a third class graduate.
Well, I have moved on. Better things ahead. My advice to HND holders is to embrace entrepreneurship. That way, we can gain respect in the society. And for the country called Nigeria that have refused to stop this BSc/HND dichtonomy, what out for HND holders who will shape the economy soon!!!

I don't know why HND graduates don't understand something so simple. The HND programme is a different skill set than the BSc programme-no body is discriminating against you guys! There are a lot of HND employees earning very good pay in the oil industry.Every qualification has its place and we all need to appreciate that. The major problem in Nigeria is not discrimination at all but lack of jobs due to the moribund state of Technological sectors and other heavy industries like mining,manufacturing and production generally. HND holders are technical people trained for technical work(we need to accept that) but unfortunately our Nation does not have the capacity to employ them. OP, shell is not equating you with failure as a HND holder, so do not misunderstand them as they have a fair employment record in Nigeria. So please and please, if you desire a job that requires a BSc,then by all means don't sit there moping and feeling discriminated against-do the needful and obtain your BSc,PGd and MSc and live your dream.Do not be deceived that HND is equivalent to BSc because that deception will cost you time,money and frustration just keep moving on. Myself I respect myself and I try to be honest with myself.I graduated with a 2:2 in Engineering.I don't go blaming any company that hires a HND holder with distinction over me or blaming shell for not hiring 2:2 just because I think I'am as smart as the guys with 2:1 - I just do what I'm supposed to do by adding value to my qualification! whether its a masters degree, a certification, an internship, a training, a volunteer programe etc, I keep forging ahead because the truth is that it is not easy even for the 1st class and 2:1 graduates to talk less of other grades or Qualifications.Wishing you all the best.
Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by ogawisdom(m): 1:27am On Nov 11, 2015
LuckyLadolce:
One of those half baked grads who weren't taught the difference between"fact and assumption". Anyway, it's your opinion and you have an absolute right to it. So enjoy your right to opinion while it last. But don't jst go out there to put up this claptrap in the midst of people with great minds. You may be given inundated bash of your life for your shallow-minded and shortsighted way of reasoning.

There r pure facts d only reason u went to polytechnic was bc u cant pass jamb n waec n out of frustration u went to poly. Deal with dt idio.t
Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by ogawisdom(m): 1:27am On Nov 11, 2015
LuckyLadolce:

There r pure facts d only reason u went to polytechnic was bc u cant pass jamb n waec n out of frustration u went to poly. Deal with dt u idio.t
Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by ogawisdom(m): 1:31am On Nov 11, 2015
chyna4luv:

why are you talking like this? who told you that HND is useless?
It was an HND graduate that won the NYSC national award last year.
During my NYSC in 2011, a Bsc corps member couldn't fill a common form where we were deployed for PPA, I had to guide her. Even where I am currently working now(name withheld) some of my Bsc colleagues whom I luckily see their good grades(2.1) can't even compose simple English and many more which I can't disclose further.

One thing you don't know about HND graduates is that, technically, they are better than Bsc. We take more courses than Bsc. in My HND final, I did Eleven courses even at that, the grading system is high. You must score 75 to get your A. I learnt that in other Polytechnics like IMT, is 80 to get your A.

So, dear you are lucky to obtain Bsc doesn't mean you should rate HND low. This dichotomy has been there even before you were admitted. what we are saying is, what is the way forward?

Regards.
Chyna4luv, HND, PGD(currently running).

Ppl who can't pass jamb and waec are the ones dt go to polytechnic BC their entry requirements r far lower than dt of uni. Bsc holders r ur lecturers so dnt ever compare to them with ur hnd nonsense
Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by bhmw(m): 2:04am On Nov 11, 2015
sweetboiy:
I'm currently in my ND1.. cry na DE after ND2 sure pass oo
please, start thinking of your purpose on earth and what you can do to change your immediate environment for the better. Stop thinking certificate...creative people change the world, not certificates. My opinion though.

1 Like

Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by bhmw(m): 3:35am On Nov 11, 2015
bhmw:
I am an HND graduate in mechanical engineering. I got my first job with Access Bank PLC as a contract staff...had to resign because of the policy that states that a contract staff is not entitle to promotion and other benefits. The company is theirs' and they can do whatsoever they like with it...they can bring in any kind of policy. Making it in life is not based on the paper we called the certicate, it is from within. I know some of my readers can mention a host of people who aren't graduates but are employers of graduates. Our own Aliko Dangote only got a diploma from an institution in Cairo (Egypt), don't know if he has added to his certificates. If truely you are better than some graduates in some universities, then prove it. I graduated from Lagos State Polytechnic and I have slept in Unilag to take some students in a maths course. Being good is not by school but an individual ability. I left Access Bank in the year 2010 and my immediate boss does not want me to...but my mind was made up. She does not have the power to change the policy as she too was employee. I said to myself, if truely i am better than what i was offered, i need to prove it. After resigning, I wrote different aptitude tests in some oil companies(Saipem, NLNG, Cheveron, NNPC...I travelled to Abuja (NNPC Towers) for and interview in NNPC in 2010. Both the job and the transport fare did not get to me. I still believed that I will be great...at a point, I stopped searching for a job. I started searching for what I can do to make the world a better place. What can I do better than other? I have heard that when you offer value, people will offer you money. I began to read stories of people like Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, Aliko Dangote, Mike Adenuga, Steve Jobs(late) and others. Do you know what made them become renowned? Ability to think for others (solving people's problem). I prayed to God to give what to do...He answered me indeed and gave me what to do. Today, I have published a unique book and designed a mathematics board game(not in the market yet)...I have a host of other products and unique services in mind. I need just 4 people who will be willing to team up with me as co-owners of this great organization about to be birthed. Interested person should be knowledgeable in maths (our policy not discrimination, each organization has one) and be a good speaker. Interested person(s) should whatsapp me on 08037686908. If the environment is not favourable, then create one. Don't let people judge you by your cerificate but by what you can offer...be creative and think entrepreneur.
I totally agree that the Bsc. paper certificate is highly rated than the HND paper certificate (policy)...just as you cannot compare SSCE with ND certificate. When you compare the holders, it's a different story. There are some SSCE holders who are intellectually sound than some ND holders...that does not mean that the two should be rated equally or the position of the latter should be given to the former. No matter how smart an SSCE holder is, no bank will employ him/her to handle money matters. Kindly apply this to the Bsc. and HND issue. Either you posses Bsc or HND, jobs are not readily available in the country. Want to make impact? You need your brain more. My opinion.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by lonelydora: 4:01am On Nov 11, 2015
wolesmile:
I know quite a number of HND holders that are far better than BSc holders...... in all ramifications!!!

MNCs Operators with OND and HND are far better than some B.Sc holders. Even in my company (which we are frowning at) OND/HND holders earn far above the B.Eng/B.Sc because of their years of experience.
Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by Alani86: 4:20am On Nov 11, 2015
lilmizwierd:

Geez man u try o I don't read more than 5 lines la
and am a year 1 students if I graduate at this age even shell won't gimme cleaner job
Dude am not federal government o :O :O :O
or shell shey they have public complaint hotline U can use that , by the way you get sugar I want to eat cornslakes tongue tongue tongue

Little wonder!!!
Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by bhmw(m): 4:26am On Nov 11, 2015
ogawisdom:

Ppl who can't pass jamb and waec are the ones dt go to polytechnic BC their entry requirements r far lower than dt of uni. Bsc holders r ur lecturers so dnt ever compare to them with ur hnd nonsense
Oga wisdom, oga wisdom...the scripture says wisdom is profitable to direct. What you said above is not true...passing jamb is mostly by luck. Jamb is never a true test of knowledge. Ogawisdom, if with a Bsc certificate, you are not earning up to N200,000 monthly, don't stay in a well furnished apartment, don't own a car(not a motor) and a host of other things that makes a man comfortable...and 2face that dropped out is living large and very comfortable. What do you call that kind of a certificate? Certificate don't make people, life experience does. We don't have to argue this again, the policy says Bsc certificate is better than HND certificate...simple. Is there any policy which says, a Bsc holder is allowed to make more impact than the HND holder? If there is no certificate, can you present yourself? I can't remember the last time i touched my certificate, I go about presenting myself not my certificate. Ogawisdom, the ERA of the higher your certificate, the higher your money is fading away...it's now, the wider your impact, the higher your money. I think Nigeria and love Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by skedy1(m): 6:39am On Nov 11, 2015
baminasri:
Right now, I find it very hard to call myself a Nigerian. What is the point of pledging loyalty to a country that cares not for the HND graduates?

As an HND holder, I graduated with distinction (Top of my class)from the top polytechnic in Nigeria. With high hopes, I applied for the ongoing shell graduate recruitment. The recruitment process involves an online registration and series of online aptitude tests prior to oral interview. What broke my heart during the registration was when I saw the column fo where to indicate your class of degree. First option was first class. Second was second class upper. Third was second class lower and the fourth was third class/HND.
This means that irrespective of your grade in the polytechnic, shell sees you as a third class graduate.
Well, I have moved on. Better things ahead. My advice to HND holders is to embrace entrepreneurship. That way, we can gain respect in the society. And for the country called Nigeria that have refused to stop this BSc/HND dichtonomy, what out for HND holders who will shape the economy soon!!!

How to deal with your frustration...Remember that thread?

#LifeGoesOn!!
Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by LuckyLadolce(m): 6:47am On Nov 11, 2015
ogawisdom:

There r pure facts d only reason u went to polytechnic was bc u cant pass jamb n waec n out of frustration u went to poly. Deal with dt u idio.t
Wack english! B.sc boy receive sense!
Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by kunbit(f): 6:57am On Nov 11, 2015
bhmw:
please, start thinking of your purpose on earth and what you can do to change your immediate environment for the better. Stop thinking certificate...creative people change the world, not certificates. My opinion though.
Please don't confuse the guy, while you are very right, in every decision you make, you need to put the environment you're in into consideration. Creative pple change the world truly but do you know what his goals are, his future aspirations? Making sure he gets a university degree will prevent him from creating this kind of thread in the next 5 years. Now that he has the opportunity to take the 'advantaged' degree in Nigeria, why not just do it?
Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by WailingWailer00(m): 7:16am On Nov 11, 2015
wolesmile:
I know a handful of Bsc holders who feed Hnd holders sad
Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by oluwaemmanuel: 7:29am On Nov 11, 2015
Please can u send d link for d recruitment page please
baminasri:

Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by Synthase(m): 7:32am On Nov 11, 2015
Idrismusty97:
Truth is that no one goes to the polytechnic willingly.
You are right but then, we must also admit that they know what they are going into. I had to wait for 4 good years before gaining admission into the university just because I didn't want to attend a polytechnic where I will face this kind of discrimination upon graduation. Now compare myself to my good friend who is more brilliant than me but could not wait after not making the university grade at the first time of asking, he decided not to wait and went to poly where he had distinction both in ND and HND. My point is he can't complain as he knows what he is getting into and he has charted a good course for himself and he is doing very well today!

1 Like

Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by bhmw(m): 7:34am On Nov 11, 2015
kunbit:

Please don't confuse the guy, while you are very right, in every decision you make, you need to put the environment you're in into consideration. Creative pple change the world truly but do you know what his goals are, his future aspirations? Making sure he gets a university degree will prevent him from creating this kind of thread in the next 5 years. Now that he has the opportunity to take the 'advantaged' degree in Nigeria, why not just do it?
Where did I say he should not get his certificate? When you know your purpose, then you go to wherever you can be trained to fulfil it. I started searching for my purpose late...i got it after graduation. A lot of us just want to go to higher institution not knowing why we are going.
Re: Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. by ayusco85(m): 7:43am On Nov 11, 2015
Mekzmoney:
Trash

Especially no; 5 & 8....

And if u r nt careful, Amadioha go bend that ur mouth Iji Eli Ji Na Ede... grin

So beta watch ur tongue.

hahahahaha. no be me write am o. i copy and paste am. so swear for the original author. but 5 is true na. infact all are true

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Sales Executive At Guinness / Lekki TV Company Asks For Light-skinned Girls In Job Ad, Nigerians React / Uninvited Lady Shows Up For Dana Airline Interview And Gets Job. See Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 158
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.