Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:48 AM

How I Got Belittled By My Boss... - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How I Got Belittled By My Boss... (31586 Views)

My Boss' Relationship With A Co-Worker Is Affecting Our Productivity / I Am Finished! I Must Avenge My Boss / I Got This For Asking My Boss My February Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by InvertedHammer: 7:41pm On Nov 12, 2015
/
It is not usually what was said
But how it was said.
/

3 Likes

Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by johnsonjosbles(m): 7:42pm On Nov 12, 2015
Dahveydson:
Just hope your boss is not on Nairaland and this doesn't make FP.
even if the boss is seun's friend. He no go do anything, we know their type! Na 30k over sabi boss they pay as salary, it makes no diff if they sack.
Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by nkemdi89(f): 7:43pm On Nov 12, 2015
Go and try it in regimental service if dismissal with not visit you, even when your superior is not getting it right they charge you for insubordination.

2 Likes

Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by Elizabethoni(f): 7:50pm On Nov 12, 2015
SSpeter:
I felt breaking my boss head after he made some derogatory comments that got me angry and belittled.....

Yesterday a colleague and I went to take measurements of a bank for renovation works in one of the tertiary institution in ogun state. My colleague been the senior was given the full details and equipment needed. When we got to ogun state, he gave me the equipment (tape and camera) and asked me if I could do it that he has a babe in the school. I said yes and he gave me extra 3k I guess that was to shut me up.

After taking the measurement of the floor area in the banking hall and other adjoining spaces, I took pictures of the tiles and ceilings just to show my boss that they were in a very poor state. When I got back home I used my computer to scale the measurements and then redesigned the banking hall.

The main aim of the renovation was to increase the number of cubicles in the banking hall from 3 to 7. Today when I got to the office, I gave my boss the report and showed the the proposed design I made, he said "Great". During critic session I was surprised that the initial drawing was brought out and he was redoing the design. Well I no talk, I watched until he was done instructing the architect. Then I compared his proposed design with mine and I quickly pointed out to him that he has used up much space for circulation moreover our cubicle spatial analysis is till the same.

He called me Peter!!! ....what year were you born I told him, he said that was the year I started this company. If you have things in your head keep it. When you establish your firm, use it. Na so everybody dey look me like say I shit for body. See me wey for just keep quite....If it were to be somewhere else, Na orijin bottle I for arrange untop him head...............that is why I keep praying for a multinational firm....abeg make I quickly go check my shell application status....

My brother I feel u die!!! Pray for a multinational company! God still answers prayers!! Working in a one man business is what I don't pray for someone with my own experience...those one man biz ogas are silly I swear!!! If they don't insult u everytime,they harrass u by saying'i will sack, I will sack u".. During my trying period working in a one man biz,a lawyer for that matter,i had to quit the job myself Cos I couldn't stand him,he begged for me to come back but I told him I would come back only if he increases my salary X2..which I know he wouldnt...hahaha ..Although it wasn't easy cos I was jobless for a year and eight months sha ,all the offers I got were not what I wanted but kept trusting God for a multinational company..and God was faithful and answered my prayers!!! So keep trusting and applying and no keep am to urself,u never know who can help...

1 Like

Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by SSpeter(m): 7:53pm On Nov 12, 2015
johnsonjosbles:
even if the boss is seun's friend. He no go do anything, we know their type! Na 30k over sabi boss they pay as salary, it makes no diff if they sack.
well ur opinion...
Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by SSpeter(m): 7:54pm On Nov 12, 2015
nkemdi89:
Go and try it in regimental service if dismissal with not visit you, even when your superior is not getting it right they charge you for insubordination.
and your life will come to an end?
Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by xtervaganza(m): 8:00pm On Nov 12, 2015
So how did he belittle you?

When you work for a wicked boss you'll understand what being belittled mean

1 Like

Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by dokunbam(m): 8:04pm On Nov 12, 2015
Pele
Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by CHANCEMAN: 8:04pm On Nov 12, 2015
You boss had already seen your draft, so his presentation was based on that and his experience. You should have been more tactful in presenting your argument. From your comments here, most likely if the reverse was the case your reaction will be the same if not worse.Why do you think your own idea is better than his?

2 Likes

Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by Empedocles(m): 8:05pm On Nov 12, 2015
U must b diplomatic!,,this wld have been in order and still somehow pass d message,,,"sir this is a brilliant plan I must confess,also I may ask what are d motives dat inspired d reduction in spatial cubicle?"

1 Like

Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by Empedocles(m): 8:06pm On Nov 12, 2015
U must b diplomatic!,,this wld have been in order and still somehow pass d message,,,"sir this is a brilliant plan I must confess,also I may ask what are d motives dat inspired d reduction in spatial cubicle?"If u must correct him u must elate him double dats ow to kip d balance if u like call it eye service,,,
Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by andyanders: 8:19pm On Nov 12, 2015
You surely acted like an infant for telling him there in the presence of others of your own view. He owns the company and for him to be getting contracts from such reputable companies.Hold your views and if there some things you observed, you should have gone back to him to ask for clarification or ask others.
Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by andyanders: 8:25pm On Nov 12, 2015
InvertedHammer:
/
It is not usually what was said
But how it was said.
/

Exactly. In fact, op need to check if he actually went to school. How dear you start questioning your boss in the presence of his staff. If he felt to add anything, why not go to him in person in his office to tell him of his own views.
Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by sonnie10: 8:30pm On Nov 12, 2015
There are more appropriate ways to communicate to your boss than the direct confrontation style you used. Effective communication is an integral part of professionalism. I would recommend some days of communication training. You are the one who belittled your boss by asking him a question that makes him look incompetent.

He may know things that you do not know. For instance, apart from the technical aspect, he knows more about the regulations regarding such work which might not be obvious to you. Again, after years of experience and mistakes, some things come naturally. Do you know how many mistakes he has made by following your method of solving the problem?

Leave pride and ego so that you can learn.

2 Likes

Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by nikz(f): 8:57pm On Nov 12, 2015
SSpeter:
it was not as quickly as u assume, I waited for him to be through....anyway I no blame am sha....when you decide to keep shut they start saying you are contributing ntn to the firm
I understand you but there's how you go about such things without your boss getting angry. You should have spoken to him in a subtle manner and in a corner, you embarrassed him so he has to embarrass you as well! No be only you be ITK? Safe am for you personal biz

1 Like

Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by stonecoldcafe: 9:00pm On Nov 12, 2015
SSpeter:
I felt breaking my boss head after he made some derogatory comments that got me angry and belittled.....

Yesterday a colleague and I went to take measurements of a bank for renovation works in one of the tertiary institution in ogun state. My colleague been the senior was given the full details and equipment needed. When we got to ogun state, he gave me the equipment (tape and camera) and asked me if I could do it that he has a babe in the school. I said yes and he gave me extra 3k I guess that was to shut me up.

After taking the measurement of the floor area in the banking hall and other adjoining spaces, I took pictures of the tiles and ceilings just to show my boss that they were in a very poor state. When I got back home I used my computer to scale the measurements and then redesigned the banking hall.

The main aim of the renovation was to increase the number of cubicles in the banking hall from 3 to 7. Today when I got to the office, I gave my boss the report and showed the the proposed design I made, he said "Great". During critic session I was surprised that the initial drawing was brought out and he was redoing the design. Well I no talk, I watched until he was done instructing the architect. Then I compared his proposed design with mine and I quickly pointed out to him that he has used up much space for circulation moreover our cubicle spatial analysis is till the same.

He called me Peter!!! ....what year were you born I told him, he said that was the year I started this company. If you have things in your head keep it. When you establish your firm, use it. Na so everybody dey look me like say I shit for body. See me wey for just keep quite....If it were to be somewhere else, Na orijin bottle I for arrange untop him head...............that is why I keep praying for a multinational firm....abeg make I quickly go check my shell application status....

You have been warned Peter. To find work for Nigeria nor easy. You wan correct you boss, you dey do am for public sef. I bah to you sha.

1 Like

Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by SSpeter(m): 9:05pm On Nov 12, 2015
andyanders:

Exactly. In fact, op need to check if he actually went to school. How dear you start questioning your boss in the presence of his staff. If he felt to add anything, why not go to him in person in his office to tell him of his own views.
that is why it is a critic session... you can say anything openly. You can even say "I don't like the design" that is why you are bin paid...
Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by F22RAPTOR(m): 9:08pm On Nov 12, 2015
Op your boss has low self esteem. no mind am.
Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by SSpeter(m): 9:08pm On Nov 12, 2015
nikz:

I understand you but there's how you go about such things without your boss getting angry. You should have spoken to him in a subtle manner and in a corner, you embarrassed him so he has to embarrass you as well! No be only you be ITK? Safe am for you personal biz
in a critic session, you look at a design and you criticise it openly. You can even say it's poo...you can say anything good or bad about the design....Infact my interview test was to criticise a design undecided...i
Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by SSpeter(m): 9:11pm On Nov 12, 2015
stonecoldcafe:

You have been warned Peter. To find work for Nigeria nor easy. You wan correct you boss, you dey do am for public sef. I bah to you sha.
and ppl wey no get don die finnish?...bros you first person get work no mean say you go first am hammer o....No be by how long you have been employed or by how you earn....What controls and defines prosperity is more than your check...I have learnt that decades ago
Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by Nobody: 9:16pm On Nov 12, 2015
grin
Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by markarov: 9:16pm On Nov 12, 2015
@ op This might just be a pointer to the fact that u can start ur own firm.Just a food for thought.
Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by bys: 9:17pm On Nov 12, 2015
U remind me of an event that took place some years ago between A man and his very learned Driver...

Boss: Peter!!! Go get me my Nimozin

Driver: Sorry Sir ooo, but its called LIMOUSINE

Boss: Ehen!!! OK ooo.. You know the name but I own the Car... Stupid boi...

1 Like

Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by chigoizie7(m): 9:24pm On Nov 12, 2015
SSpeter:

U bleeped up, u wan tell your boss say u sabi pass am.

U showed him the initial plans, he applauded u by saying "great."

Now he gave the architect another instructions, that is his firm, his company,his reputation. He might be wrong, but tryng to correct him in public shows how mannerless u are.

What happened to meeting him one on one and then explain to him your observations? He would have listened to and call back the architect to make amends, but u wanted to show everyone your over sabi, then your boss simply put you in your rightful position.

Passing six is not passing sense.

1 Like

Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by stonecoldcafe: 9:29pm On Nov 12, 2015
SSpeter:
and ppl wey no get don die finnish?...bros you first person get work no mean say you go first am hammer o....No be by how long you have been employed or by how you earn....What controls and defines prosperity is more than your check...I have learnt that decades ago

Most people on this thread are of the opinion you should not have criticized your boss in public. Can we be all wrong? You are just too stubborn. You may also struggle in a multinational with the same attitude.

2 Likes

Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by shurlar50(m): 10:09pm On Nov 12, 2015
IMO, I think you are wrong for correcting him, if I were you, I would have asked him to explain the method he used, that its kind of confusing and you'd like to know why its the most preferred for the plan. I think thatsa better way of correcting him other than pointing out his mistake

1 Like

Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by Nobody: 10:36pm On Nov 12, 2015
chymystique:
Lol.. That's what ITK can cause.. Take it as a life lesson and not like its belittling.. its normal for bosses to talk like that cause they feel they know more than you..
You should be glad he didnt even make some terrible remarks when you gave him your own design...

Ps "NEVER OUTSHINE YOUR MASTER"
48 laws of power
Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by MRLINGTON(m): 10:36pm On Nov 12, 2015
SSpeter:

lmao no do o...anyways i guess dats at Olabisi Onabanjo uni ryt??...i c dem doing a perfect job there tho...i work at one of d banks inside d skul
Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by frank043(m): 11:19pm On Nov 12, 2015
chymystique:
Lol.. That's what ITK can cause.. Take it as a life lesson and not like its belittling.. its normal for bosses to talk like that cause they feel they know more than you..
You should be glad he didnt even make some terrible remarks when you gave him your own design...

Culled from '48 laws of power'... Law no 1: 'never outshine the master'. Authored by Robert Green
Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by nkemdi89(f): 11:30pm On Nov 12, 2015
SSpeter:
and your life will come to an end?
It won't but that's the ethics of the job.

1 Like

Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by baminasri(m): 11:36pm On Nov 12, 2015
chymystique:

Law 1: 48 laws of power

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

N850k Job & A Boss That Insults: Funny Replies To An Employment Question... / Living And Working In Lagos Vs. Living And Working In Port Harcourt / HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.