Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,110 members, 7,814,894 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:22 PM

How I Got Belittled By My Boss... - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How I Got Belittled By My Boss... (31562 Views)

My Boss' Relationship With A Co-Worker Is Affecting Our Productivity / I Am Finished! I Must Avenge My Boss / I Got This For Asking My Boss My February Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by Nobody: 6:46pm On Nov 12, 2015
Alxmyr:
He needs to fire you immediately.
You are incompetent and should not be trusted with responsibility.
Imagine, your arrogance does not even let you know that you are to assist someone he gave the responsibility to. Thereby, you should have discuss your design with the man and if at all there is need for your input, the input should come through the man that has the responsibility for the job and not you.
This is insubordination.
do you understand what a critic session is?
Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by fsb(m): 6:47pm On Nov 12, 2015
@OP

1. You need to learn how to manage upwards. You really should read the 48 laws of power, you won't regret it as suggested by someone.

2. Don't assume things like this don't happen at multinationals. In a large firm, sometimes the reporting line can be complex and you may report to more than one boss. There are issues where the big bosses are trying to outshine each other, politicking and looking for pawns who would take their sides and then you find yourself in between more drama than you could ever imagine.

3. Your boss was actually right when he said something about starting your own company. Truth is so long as it's paid employment, it's quite common to experience such once in a while.

2 Likes

Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by Nobody: 6:48pm On Nov 12, 2015
sonofananimal:
ok!

For how many years you will be gathering more knowledge and skills?

We decieve ourselves to much!

yes as many years as one can. Not every one can run a company that's my point. I have seen retirees consulting for various firms after retirement, some made directors. That's what it is. They are best growing other people's firm.
Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by linearity: 6:49pm On Nov 12, 2015
bxcode:
Op, thats the world we live in and funny people are saying you are doing i too know undecided undecided
What the chap did was to spot a mistake simple, except if you went about it in an arrogant manner.

There is not to indicate that, there was a mistake; it appear that, there is something the Boss knew that the OP is not privy to, hence the adjustment to the design to increase the circulation space.

More so, the OP admitted that he was not the one given the details of the assignment, it was given to a senior colleague who rely them to him and who must have mixed vital design input and the Boss is in no position to repeat himself.

I do not see any belittling or disrespect on the part of the Boss, rather the OP appear to be pompous and felt he knows it well and he definitely has mixed a learning session.

If I were the OP, instead of challenging his Boss in front of his other colleague, he would have turned it to a question like..."Sir, my circulation space design was using the usual standards we are used to, was there an exception in this situation"? If the Boss had made mistake, he will catch and correct it, which I should be the objective of the OP and he will be given credit for pointing out that error, but if it was not an error as it appear to be in this case, the Boss will be more than willing to explain the exceptions to him.

2 Likes

Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by SSpeter(m): 6:49pm On Nov 12, 2015
Alxmyr:
He needs to fire you immediately.
You are incompetent and should not be trusted with responsibility.
Imagine, your arrogance does not even let you know that you are to assist someone he gave the responsibility to. Thereby, you should have discuss your design with the man and if at all there is need for your input, the input should come through the man that has the responsibility for the job and not you.
This is insubordination.
you are funny bro, so you think everyone resumes to the office? No he resumed in another site so you expected me to wait until he comes back?...thanks for your opinion anyway
Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by Alxmyr(m): 6:49pm On Nov 12, 2015
majekdom2:
how can he learn when his boss can't put him through in situations as this This is what is called experience. If perhaps he sees something like that tomos, he will be able to handle had it been the boss explained to him why it is like that.

His boss puts him through, but he felt offended that his opinion was not accepted above the boss opinion, thus question the authority of the boss. He is simply unteachable.
Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by gsalvatore: 6:50pm On Nov 12, 2015
majekdom2:
read and read well, he said after the boss was done with the architect during a " critic session ". You don't know how annoying it is when you working with a non team player. No man is an island. Respect is needed.... that was what the OP was trying to point out.I understand u still on that " level "

You boss is your boss no matter how you might want to spin.

Oga this is Nigeria and Most Nigerian bosses are like that in this kind of situation.

Besides, the Op just made it look like he is smarted and his imput more superior...what of if the boss gives you his own reasons for trashing peter ideas and it pans out to be more better?

Yes its very annoying...nobody ever died from annoyance...

Like i said, Peter is suppose to data mine the boss..
Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by miqos02(m): 6:50pm On Nov 12, 2015
sorry
Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by Nobody: 6:50pm On Nov 12, 2015
majekdom2:
how can he learn when his boss can't put him through in situations as this This is what is called experience. If perhaps he sees something like that tomos, he will be able to handle had it been the boss explained to him why it is like that.

Continual improvement - thank god for google - i once worked for a boss who knew absolutely a quarter of what i knew but had more experience butt-kissing his superiors.. He always made project proposals and presentations without my input and if i contributed any at all, he made sure to paint it in his words and graphics .. i was always labelled "document manager" in all the project documents.. until he we had to present to a multinational firm. It was a disaster.. there was no iron prison to hide my shame watching the highly intellectual potential big-ticket clients look at him in mused-amazement as he made a buffoon of himself. My saving grace was that (as usual) he had sent me an hour ahead to distribute the presentation transcripts and while i did that, i was asked a couple of questions (trust oyibo man to start reading ahead). my take was well informed that the simplistic scant digital doodle he developed.

Always try to be a better person that your superiors without hurting their egos.. 2 years later, i was hired by the same multinational firm. (2 yrs after)

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by Nobody: 6:51pm On Nov 12, 2015
fsb:
@OP

1. You need to learn how to manage upwards. You really should read the 48 laws of power, you won't regret it as suggested by someone.

2. Don't assume things like this don't happen at multinationals. In a large firm, sometimes the reporting line can be complex and you may report to more than one boss. There are issues where the big bosses are trying to outshine each other, politicking and looking for pawns who would take their sides and then you find yourself in between more drama than you could ever imagine.

3. Your boss was actually right when he said something about starting your own company. Truth is so long as it's paid employment, it's quite common to experience such once in a while.
it may happen in multinationals, but you know who to go to when you are grieved.
Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by Alxmyr(m): 6:53pm On Nov 12, 2015
SSpeter:
you are funny bro, so you think everyone resumes to the office? No he resumed in another site so you expected me to wait until he comes back?...thanks for your opinion anyway

Your attitude shows you are a learner and needed to sit back and learn rudiments of management and leadership.

I will suggest to you a book titled, Spiritual Authority- by Watchman Lee. Though a spiritual book, but it will help you understand how discipline and authority work.

2 Likes

Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by Nobody: 6:55pm On Nov 12, 2015
Alxmyr:

His boss puts him through, but he felt offended that his opinion was not accepted above the boss opinion, thus question the authority of the boss. He is simply unteachable.
The boss does not need to let him know he has got experience by comparing that with his age. Is that how you put people through when they want to learn or share ideas?
Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by Nobody: 6:59pm On Nov 12, 2015
gsalvatore:

You boss is your boss no matter how you might want to spin.

[b]Oga this is Nigeria and Most Nigerian b[/b]osses are like that in this kind of situation.

Besides, the Op just made it look like he is smarted and his imput more superior...what of if the boss gives you his own reasons for trashing peter ideas and it pans out to be more better?

Yes its very annoying...nobody ever died from annoyance...

Like i said, Peter is suppose to data mine the boss..
@ bolded that's the mediocrity I am talking about and No , not all bosses are like that. I work for a company where my boss sees criticism essential to the growth of the company in meetings. I can't reconcile any post where OP made it look like it was superior, he was only trying to learn. Did you read where he said he compared with the original design. Pls read through and understand the kind of person the OP is. He admitted he is a junior staff. I see humility in the post. There is a difference between self esteem and pride. He felt bad and that was why he mentioned origin bottle.
Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by freshcvvs: 7:00pm On Nov 12, 2015
SSpeter:
babe you are intelligent....thumbs up

To take correction self dey hard you, but very fast to quote and admire those supporting you.

No worry, i pray you set up your own biz too so you can get a dose of your own "actions".

BTW, your mindset dey somehow, if you think u have a great idea of what you currently do, instead of praying to move to a bigger coy, why not pray for materials or partners to set up yours?

Don't expect any other coy to treat you differently!

3 Likes

Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by chris4gold(m): 7:01pm On Nov 12, 2015
GreenBobo:
You tried to outshine the master
You're even lucky you're still in one piece! tongue
Learn your lessons and move on with your life! sad

laws of power...
Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by arabianights: 7:01pm On Nov 12, 2015
SSpeter:
I felt breaking my boss head after he made some derogatory comments that got me angry and belittled.....

Yesterday a colleague and I went to take measurements of a bank for renovation works in one of the tertiary institution in ogun state. My colleague been the senior was given the full details and equipment needed. When we got to ogun state, he gave me the equipment (tape and camera) and asked me if I could do it that he has a babe in the school. I said yes and he gave me extra 3k I guess that was to shut me up.

After taking the measurement of the floor area in the banking hall and other adjoining spaces, I took pictures of the tiles and ceilings just to show my boss that they were in a very poor state. When I got back home I used my computer to scale the measurements and then redesigned the banking hall.

The main aim of the renovation was to increase the number of cubicles in the banking hall from 3 to 7. Today when I got to the office, I gave my boss the report and showed the the proposed design I made, he said "Great". During critic session I was surprised that the initial drawing was brought out and he was redoing the design. Well I no talk, I watched until he was done instructing the architect. Then I compared his proposed design with mine and I quickly pointed out to him that he has used up much space for circulation moreover our cubicle spatial analysis is till the same.

He called me Peter!!! ....what year were you born I told him, he said that was the year I started this company. If you have things in your head keep it. When you establish your firm, use it. Na so everybody dey look me like say I shit for body. See me wey for just keep quite....If it were to be somewhere else, Na orijin bottle I for arrange untop him head...............that is why I keep praying for a multinational firm....abeg make I quickly go check my shell application status....

you should have approached him one on one.Why try to prove your self? HE OWNS THE COMPANY!!!!
Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by hotdi(m): 7:05pm On Nov 12, 2015
He only teach u to be courteous when correcting ur boss's flaws in the midst of other staff.
U may have sounded confronting, competing or corrective in his own view.
Mind you, some bosses are like that, u have to chose ur words while trying to correct them. If possible, agree with his design, then meet him later when alone and point out ur observations. He may have appreciated u.
A servant cannot be more than his master remember. wink

2 Likes

Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by Nobody: 7:07pm On Nov 12, 2015
majekdom2:
yes as many years as one can. Not every one can run a company that's my point. I have seen retirees consulting for various firms after retirement, some made directors. That's what it is. They are best growing other people's firm.
modern day SLAVERY
Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by Wallade(m): 7:08pm On Nov 12, 2015
Remember: The 40 Laws of Power.

Never outshine your boss!
Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by Nobody: 7:08pm On Nov 12, 2015
sonofananimal:
modern day SLAVERY
yes , but they are living well, better than the so called "entrepreneurs"
Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by SSpeter(m): 7:09pm On Nov 12, 2015
....Well I have read quite a lot, the truth is I am not scared of getting fired. In fact I always have my CV dusted every morning. I have also turned down offers due to distance and stress. I am constantly searching so I don't even care if my boss have a NL account or anyone in the firm who cares? I don't know why we are always scared especially when it comes to employment stuffs. Truth be told, you that is earning six or seven digits for more than ten years have you built a castle in banana island? Or do you have a private jet? The truth is we work just to keep body and soul together. People have this notion that having a job means a successful life, for me it's far from it. If I get a sack tomorrow kudos...my life won't end.....and for the 48 laws of power...I guess with all those ideas you won't even win a council seat in your ward....life is once don't live in fear...let alone fear of being sacked....mtcheeeewww...
Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by flokii: 7:13pm On Nov 12, 2015
@OP you could av used your discretion you know...

you could ask for excuse to see him in private for some few mins. or don't you knw you ridiculed him (ur boss) in front of others

or better still see him later to give ur opinions... as simple as that
Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by OlujobaSamuel: 7:14pm On Nov 12, 2015
@op if your idea can't make you earn more than any other person, just keep shut.
you are there to make money, he established the firm to make money, you both need money, so don't think he will earn less if you leave, your pay will cease for hours/days or months, so be careful.
you prepared it, he saw it, said great, then never seek for your opinion before amendment, yet, you don't get the message. kontinu.

1 Like

Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by zinachidi(m): 7:21pm On Nov 12, 2015
chymystique:
Lol.. That's what ITK can cause.. Take it as a life lesson and not like its belittling.. its normal for bosses to talk like that cause they feel they know more than you..
You should be glad he didnt even make some terrible remarks when you gave him your own design...

Ps "NEVER OUTSHINE YOUR MASTER"
2nd law of power right?
Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by Psoul(m): 7:22pm On Nov 12, 2015
SSpeter:
I felt breaking my boss head after he made some derogatory comments that got me angry and belittled.....

Yesterday a colleague and I went to take measurements of a bank for renovation works in one of the tertiary institution in ogun state. My colleague been the senior was given the full details and equipment needed. When we got to ogun state, he gave me the equipment (tape and camera) and asked me if I could do it that he has a babe in the school. I said yes and he gave me extra 3k I guess that was to shut me up.

After taking the measurement of the floor area in the banking hall and other adjoining spaces, I took pictures of the tiles and ceilings just to show my boss that they were in a very poor state. When I got back home I used my computer to scale the measurements and then redesigned the banking hall.

The main aim of the renovation was to increase the number of cubicles in the banking hall from 3 to 7. Today when I got to the office, I gave my boss the report and showed the the proposed design I made, he said "Great". During critic session I was surprised that the initial drawing was brought out and he was redoing the design. Well I no talk, I watched until he was done instructing the architect. Then I compared his proposed design with mine and I quickly pointed out to him that he has used up much space for circulation moreover our cubicle spatial analysis is till the same.

He called me Peter!!! ....what year were you born I told him, he said that was the year I started this company. If you have things in your head keep it. When you establish your firm, use it. Na so everybody dey look me like say I shit for body. See me wey for just keep quite....If it were to be somewhere else, Na orijin bottle I for arrange untop him head...............that is why I keep praying for a multinational firm....abeg make I quickly go check my shell application status....

Peter, bosses beliv dey kw it all. Never tell ur boss dat he is wrong or his opinion is wrong. U rather say to him, sir wot if we do it like dis or like dat, will it be good or will it give us d desired result?

A colleague of mine made dat same mistake of urs. Probably trying to impress our MD with his wealth of knowledge. Guess wot d MD told him. "U've dis kind of beautiful ideas and u r still here working 4 someone instead of using it to develope ur own company, u must be a mad man"
Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by goodgate: 7:25pm On Nov 12, 2015
SSpeter:
babe you are intelligent....thumbs up
Oga Peter please where do you work? I Mean the name of the Company. Thanks.
Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by idupaul: 7:26pm On Nov 12, 2015
SSpeter:

OP one thing is clear ... You are a big fooool
Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by SSpeter(m): 7:27pm On Nov 12, 2015
Psoul:

Peter, bosses beliv dey kw it all. Never tell ur boss dat he is wrong or his opinion is wrong. U rather say to him, sir wot if we do it like dis or like dat, will it be good or will it give us d desired result?

A colleague of mine made dat same mistake of urs. Probably trying to impress our MD with his wealth of knowledge. Guess wot d MD told him. "U've dis kind of beautiful ideas and u r still here working 4 someone instead of using it to develope ur own company, u must be a mad man"
yeah never say your boss is wrong....Then why does he disturbs us with critic sessions...no be him tell me say I free to criticise? criticism was one of my selling points when he hire me ooo undecided
Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by MathsChic(f): 7:27pm On Nov 12, 2015
SSpeter:

quiet

1 Like

Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by enny4real23(m): 7:34pm On Nov 12, 2015
chymystique:
Lol.. That's what ITK can cause.. Take it as a life lesson and not like its belittling.. its normal for bosses to talk like that cause they feel they know more than you..
You should be glad he didnt even make some terrible remarks when you gave him your own design...

Ps "NEVER OUTSHINE YOUR MASTER"
she jst quoted d 1st rule in 48 laws of power......... I think I'm in love (sighs)
Re: How I Got Belittled By My Boss... by Alxmyr(m): 7:35pm On Nov 12, 2015
SSpeter:
....Well I have read quite a lot, the truth is I am not scared of getting fired. In fact I always have my CV dusted every morning. I have also turned down offers due to distance and stress. I am constantly searching so I don't even care if my boss have a NL account or anyone in the firm who cares? I don't know why we are always scared especially when it comes to employment stuffs. Truth be told, you that is earning six or seven digits for more than ten years have you built a castle in banana island? Or do you have a private jet? The truth is we work just to keep body and soul together. People have this notion that having a job means a successful life, for me it's far from it. If I get a sack tomorrow kudos...my life won't end.....and for the 48 laws of power...I guess with all those ideas you won't even win a council seat in your ward....life is once don't live in fear...let alone fear of being sacked....mtcheeeewww...

A weakness that is not dealt with when you are unknown will only bring one down at the top.
Even if you work with all the companies in Nigeria and beyond, and your character is not changed, you will get same result.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Air Peace Sacks 69 Pilots, Blames Coronavirus-induced Economic Downturn / N850k Job & A Boss That Insults: Funny Replies To An Employment Question... / With A Capital Of N2M: Should I Relocate To Europe Or Open A Pharmacy In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.