Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:37 AM

APC To Conduct Fresh Primary In Kogi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / APC To Conduct Fresh Primary In Kogi (39863 Views)

PDP Protests In Tai As INEC Boss Refuse To Conduct Fresh Election In Tai / Man Set On Fire At PDP Primary In Abia (Pics) / Tribunal Cancels The Election Of Nyesome Wike, INEC To Conduct Fresh Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

APC To Conduct Fresh Primary In Kogi by awoyam1: 6:45pm On Nov 24, 2015
The All Progressives Congress (APC) has announced that a fresh primary election will be conducted in Kogi state to pick a replacement for Abubakar Audu.

Audu, who passed away on Sunday, was the party’s candidate in the November 21 governorship election.

Speaking with reporters at the national secretariat of the party in Abuja on Tuesday, John Oyegun, chairman of the party, said the decision to hold a fresh primary was taken after the APC received a letter from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) asking it to replace Audu.

“It’s in the public space already, that the chief law officer of the republic has made his views know on how things should develop from this stage on,” he said.

“He has made a pronouncement to the effect that all that is required is for the APC to go through the processes of providing a substitute to our late candidate with the implication being that thereafter the supplementary elections to conclude the process of electing a new governor of Kogi state will began to be put in place so as a party we going to proceed with process organising primary to provide a substitute candidate, Abubakar Audu.

“We are going to go into executive session now, to know the nature of the primary.”

Audu’s death had sparked debate among lawyers and public commentators, with some suggesting that Abidoun Faleke, the deceased’s running mate, should be given the ticket of the party.

“Kogi situation fits more into section 181(1) of the 1999 constitution (as amended) and as such James Abiodun Faleke automatically becomes the governorship candidate of the APC. As a result the joint ticket of Audu/Faleke has acquired some votes already. James Abiodun Faleke is as much entitled to those votes already counted as much as the late Abubakar Audu. He has a right to cling to those votes going into the supplementary election,” Festus Keyamo, a notable Nigerian lawyer, had argued.

But with the new development all the controversies have been put to rest.

Though Oyegun did not disclose the date for the exercise, it is expected to be this week since INEC has scheduled the supplementary election for December 5.

INEC declared Saturday’s election inconclusive because the number of cancelled votes was higher than the margin between the two leading candidates.

Audu, who was leading the election, secured 240,867 votes, ahead of Idris Wada, incumbent governor and candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), who polled 199,514 votes.

The difference between them was 41,353 votes, while a total of 49,953 votes were voided in the election as a result of irregularities.

Source: https://www.thecable.ng/breaking-apc-conduct-fresh-primary-kogi
Re: APC To Conduct Fresh Primary In Kogi by CharliParker: 6:46pm On Nov 24, 2015
waste of money,life, time and resources.

3 Likes

Re: APC To Conduct Fresh Primary In Kogi by DuchessLily(f): 6:55pm On Nov 24, 2015
We are watching
Re: APC To Conduct Fresh Primary In Kogi by palladin: 6:56pm On Nov 24, 2015
Ok
Re: APC To Conduct Fresh Primary In Kogi by Bobbystanley(m): 6:57pm On Nov 24, 2015
Time for Wada to decamp to APC.

You know,Our politicians can do anything to remain in the Corridors of power

But I would suggest the give Yahaya Bello the ticket since he was second in the last Primary election in which Audu won instead of wasting time, energy and resources conducting a new primary election.

7 Likes

Re: APC To Conduct Fresh Primary In Kogi by kahal29: 6:58pm On Nov 24, 2015
In the light of the new development. I think Yahaya bello should replace Audu since he came second in the primaries to avoid any legal loophole the other parties might want to exploit. For the Igala's they already have a minister in the person of ocholi who happens to come from the same Dekina LGA with wada, the okuns have the deputy in the person of faleke while the Ebira's will now be allowed to produce the Governor. I think this will balance things in the state. In addittion, to appease the Igala's the more maybe they should also be allowed to produce the speaker while the okun's will produce the deputy speaker of the house of assembly.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC To Conduct Fresh Primary In Kogi by Episteme2(m): 7:08pm On Nov 24, 2015
This primary election will be unavoidably do or die. You can imagine where winning party primary gives you the position outrightly. That's a bypass you know. APC has more or less won the election, just to be legally bound through an insignificant but constitution-satisfying rerun.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: APC To Conduct Fresh Primary In Kogi by dustmalik: 7:13pm On Nov 24, 2015
kahal29:
In the light of the new development. I think Yahaya bello should replace Audu since he came second in the primaries to avoid any legal loophole the other parties might want to exploit. For the Igala's they already have a minister in the person of ocholi who happens to come from the same Dekina LGA with wada, the okuns have the deputy in the person of faleke while the Ebira's will now be allowed to produce the Governor. I think this will balance things in the state. In addittion, to appease the Igala's the more maybe they should also be allowed to produce the speaker while the okun's will produce the deputy speaker of the house of assembly.
Spot on

5 Likes

Re: APC To Conduct Fresh Primary In Kogi by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:13pm On Nov 24, 2015
James Faleke should go to court. I'm sure the SC will nullify the said primary election. The EA never give room for conduct of primary during election. James Faleke should be the substantive candidate of APC.

49 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC To Conduct Fresh Primary In Kogi by dustmalik: 7:16pm On Nov 24, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
James Faleke should go to court. I'm sure the SC will nullify the said primary election. The EA never give room for conduct of primary during election. James Faleke should be the substantive candidate of APC.
I also don't think it's possible to conduct primaries while there is already an ongoing election. I don't believe this news

7 Likes

Re: APC To Conduct Fresh Primary In Kogi by Nobody: 7:17pm On Nov 24, 2015
kahal29:
Yahaya Bello should be punished...He openly supported Wada over Audu his party Man... He never envisaged this type of scenario...

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: APC To Conduct Fresh Primary In Kogi by Nobody: 7:18pm On Nov 24, 2015
Lalasticlala ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh grin

I hope PDP is learning just in case.

Great decision

1 Like

Re: APC To Conduct Fresh Primary In Kogi by dustmalik: 7:20pm On Nov 24, 2015
olatunji21:

Yahaya Bello should be punished...He openly supported Wada over Audu his party Man... He never envisaged this type of scenario...
Yahaya Bello messed up big time. His kinsmen are very angry with him right now. He actually made it known that he was going to support Wada, and even made money available for that purpose

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: APC To Conduct Fresh Primary In Kogi by kahal29: 7:22pm On Nov 24, 2015
olatunji21:

I share your sentiments but can't he pardoned? Life is funny no wonder they say patience is a virture cos the patient dog eats the fattest bone.

4 Likes

Re: APC To Conduct Fresh Primary In Kogi by Nobody: 7:23pm On Nov 24, 2015
dustmalik:

Yahaya Bello messed up big time. His kinsmen are very angry with him right now. He actually made it known that he was going to support Wada, and even made money available for that purpose
APC should do all in its power to prevent him from getting the party's ticket...He's not a loyal party man....

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: APC To Conduct Fresh Primary In Kogi by Nobody: 7:26pm On Nov 24, 2015
kahal29:

I share your sentiments but can't he pardoned?
I don't think he should be pardoned... This would serve as a deterrent to all other erring members...It is a common knowledge that Fashola was never in support of Ambode's nomination, yet he tour the length and breadth of Lagos with this same Akinwunmi Ambode... That's Loyalty...

47 Likes 7 Shares

Re: APC To Conduct Fresh Primary In Kogi by dustmalik: 7:32pm On Nov 24, 2015
olatunji21:

APC should do all in its power to prevent him from getting the party's ticket...He's not a loyal party man....
He claims that late Audu didn't resign as a member of APC board of trustees, yet he was allowed to contest for primaries. Though, that isn't right. But he shouldn't have resolved to anti-party activities. He even took the case to court

4 Likes

Re: APC To Conduct Fresh Primary In Kogi by englishmart(m): 7:38pm On Nov 24, 2015
enough of this kogi state matter abeg. Make person drink water drop cup joor

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC To Conduct Fresh Primary In Kogi by gift01: 7:38pm On Nov 24, 2015
Another lucky governor in the making. May another not benefit from all our sweat and hardwork

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC To Conduct Fresh Primary In Kogi by Nobody: 7:38pm On Nov 24, 2015
so, money don waste for dat 1st election be dat nw abi Smh for dis yeye end time country undecided.
Re: APC To Conduct Fresh Primary In Kogi by nikkiking(m): 7:38pm On Nov 24, 2015
Back to back.

Apc na joke
Re: APC To Conduct Fresh Primary In Kogi by SuPeRq(f): 7:39pm On Nov 24, 2015
APC chanji
Re: APC To Conduct Fresh Primary In Kogi by Hemanwel(m): 7:39pm On Nov 24, 2015
Confusion everywhere!But I thought there were legal implications to Audu Abubakar's death with regard to the inconclusiveness of the gubernatorial elections?
okkies,now I know the plans:
Knowing fully well that Bello Yahaya's (the guy that came 2nd during primaries) or Faleke's candidature does not stand a chance against an Idris Wada,APC wants to - by all means - field an Igalla man to consolidate on Audu's victory ,so that when he gets the needed votes from the Igalla people and eventually wins,and then probably sworn-in as governor,the Bello Yahaya or Faleke guy will now seek redress in court,and the court will now return their mandate to them without the people of Kogi actually voting them in,just as it happened between Celestine Omehia and Chibuike Amaechi in Rivers State then...I mean,isn't there a constitutional position on this matter already?Why conducting a fresh primary?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC To Conduct Fresh Primary In Kogi by noeloge82(m): 7:39pm On Nov 24, 2015
This is politics am sure the APC big wigs would have done their home work they are only doing d primaries to fulfil the required formalities
Its only time shall tell

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC To Conduct Fresh Primary In Kogi by Nobody: 7:39pm On Nov 24, 2015
dustmalik:

He claims that late Audu didn't resign as a member of APC board of trustees, yet he was allowed to contest for primaries. Though, that isn't right. But he shouldn't have resolved to anti-party activities. He even took the case to court
Seeking legal Redress in a competent court is most definitely his right but engaging in anti-party activities is a sin that cannot and should never be overlooked...

4 Likes

Re: APC To Conduct Fresh Primary In Kogi by Tallesty1(m): 7:39pm On Nov 24, 2015
Ok..

I wish 'em good luck

1 Like

Re: APC To Conduct Fresh Primary In Kogi by shaddoww: 7:40pm On Nov 24, 2015
I think d party av agreed to allow Faleke to b d flag-barer but dey only want to conduct a primary so dat PDP won't av a case in court to say Faleke wasn't a product of a party primary

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC To Conduct Fresh Primary In Kogi by Nobody: 7:40pm On Nov 24, 2015
Polititricks in Nigeria.... the story continues

5 Signs You’re In Love With A WOMANIZER >> https://www.nairaland.com/2759884/5-signs-youre-love-womanizer
Re: APC To Conduct Fresh Primary In Kogi by omusiliyu(m): 7:40pm On Nov 24, 2015
[size=28pt]END TIME ELECTION[/size]

1 Like

Re: APC To Conduct Fresh Primary In Kogi by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:40pm On Nov 24, 2015
dustmalik:

I also don't think it's possible to conduct primaries while there is already an ongoing election. I don't believe this news
James is the next Governor.

4 Likes

Re: APC To Conduct Fresh Primary In Kogi by Acidosis(m): 7:40pm On Nov 24, 2015
kahal29:

I'm from Kogi state. I can tell you that over 90% of Igala people hate Okun tribe and the Ebira people.

An Average Igala man will give his mandate to a STONE with Igala origin before considering the Okuns and the Ebiras.

They have the Minister, They have Wada, They had Audu. They've ruled for 16 years, Okun man ruled for 3 months, Ebira man 0 second.

Whoever nominates another Igala gubernatorial candidate in Kogi state will drop dead mysteriously! His or Her death would be gladly celebrated by ME.

The era of born to rule is over. It is either they shift the mantle to Faleke or Yahaya Bello (Ebira).

15 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? / Photo Of The Day As Nigerians Await The Announcement Of Election Results / List Of Lawmakers In The 7th Assembly Who Didn’t Sponsor A Single Bill

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.