Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,582 members, 7,820,103 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:45 AM

Latest IMF Figures Show Nigeria As World's 22nd Largest Economy - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Latest IMF Figures Show Nigeria As World's 22nd Largest Economy (27460 Views)

IMF Has Listed Nigeria As The World’s 22nd Largest Economy In The World / Nigeria Now 22nd Largest Economy In The World- I m f (see Full List) / IMF: Nigeria Now World's 22nd Largest Economy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Latest IMF Figures Show Nigeria As World's 22nd Largest Economy by Nobody: 9:03pm On Nov 26, 2015
mazeltov:

So what is your point now?
Giving up so soon... well, since you don't wanna believe the increase in economy size is a fleet attributed to GEJ, i might want to drag it continuously with you.
Re: Latest IMF Figures Show Nigeria As World's 22nd Largest Economy by baralatie(m): 9:08pm On Nov 26, 2015
Adminisher:

What really were the efforts of GEJ and what was his vision?. I want three of them please in single sentences. This man actually achieved nothing.
We were just lucky for the oil price.
There are too many people unemployed now, too little power generated, too many refineries down and too much food imports to say Jonathan achieved anything.
People are telling lies to themselves wholesale. Yet if you look out of your window, Jonathan's failure is glaring
Can you explain this statement from IMF..............

"Over the last 15 years, Nigeria has enjoyed annual GDP growth rates of about 7% but with crude oil prices falling to about $40 a barrel from over $100 a barrel, it is no surprise that growth has slowed. Despite this, the economy continues to diversify and the country remains on course to achieve its goal of becoming one of the world's top 20 economies by 2020."
Re: Latest IMF Figures Show Nigeria As World's 22nd Largest Economy by Nobody: 9:16pm On Nov 26, 2015
Rossikk:
Why not start a small scale manufacturing enterprise at home? You can make bags, sandals, furniture, and a hundred other items. You'll make more money than a salary could pay you. The advantage you have is the booming economy we have, hence there's a ready market for your products.
Uncle help me tell them oo
Re: Latest IMF Figures Show Nigeria As World's 22nd Largest Economy by Kirigidi(m): 9:26pm On Nov 26, 2015
johnydon22:

Even China and U.s the largest economies still have unemployed, homeless people, poor people and what have you... not only in Nigeria.
Forget it guy! Dat rankin positn given Nigeria is a mere theoretical statistics put togeda in d comfort of air-conditned offices, because there is nothin visible on ground to prove dat d Nigerian economy is dat great. Wat is d justificatn 4 such rankin when Nigeria can't even boast of a stable/ reliable power supply or efficient modern transportatn system such as high-speed trains nd pot hole-free super highways? By dat rankin, ar they tryin to tell us d Nigerian economy, which is import-dependant wit export of crude oil nd gas as d sole major source of govt revenues, is better dan economies of Holland, Belgium Portugal, Sweden, Ukraine, Switzerland, etc, even when it is obvious dat many Nigerians run to dose places for greener pastures? They need to giv us convincin proves of how they arrivd at such bogus rankin.
Re: Latest IMF Figures Show Nigeria As World's 22nd Largest Economy by zo3184: 9:27pm On Nov 26, 2015
Still a very poor country.
Re: Latest IMF Figures Show Nigeria As World's 22nd Largest Economy by kozmokaz(m): 9:29pm On Nov 26, 2015
ThisMeansWars:
fuel scarcity is not gejs legacy .. Book haram is not gejsgejs legacy ... You shout baba go slow .. Bit now something positive you are shouting gene legacy

Thunder fire you hypocrite
did u ever bought a liter of fuel for 400 naira during gej administration?

boko haram was founded and funded by d opposition to discredit gej achivments

u are soon myopic in thinking

APC don sweep ur brain comot !!
Re: Latest IMF Figures Show Nigeria As World's 22nd Largest Economy by t2luv1: 9:29pm On Nov 26, 2015
menesheh:
NIGERIA has been adjudged the world's 22nd largest economy with an annual growth rate of 5% during the course of 2015 according to the latest survey of the planet's wealthiest countries the International Monetary Fund (IMF).

According to the figures published yesterday, Nigeria's gross domestic product (GDP) is set to total $1.105trn in 2015, representing a 5% growth from last year. Despite global crude oil prices falling by about three quarters over the last year, Nigeria has defied the negative growth that afflicted several crude-producing countries.

Of the world's 30 largest economies countries examined in the survey, oil producers like Brazil and Russia suffered declines in GDP. Africa's two other economies on the list Egypt and South Africa, who were ranked 24th and 30th respectively, enjoyed GDP growth rates of 5.2% and 2.4% respectively.

In terms of growth, Nigeria, was also the sixth highest achiever as only China, India, Egypt, Pakistan and the Philippines recorded higher GDP growth. Other key features of the survey was that China overtook the US as the world's largest economy with a GDP of $19.51trn, India moved into third place thanks to its 8.3% growth rate that bumped GDP up to $8.02trn and Egypt overtook South Africa as Africa's second largest economy.

Over the last 15 years, Nigeria has enjoyed annual GDP growth rates of about 7% but with crude oil prices falling to about $40 a barrel from over $100 a barrel, it is no surprise that growth has slowed. Despite this, the economy continues to diversify and the country remains on course to achieve its goal of becoming one of the world's top 20 economies by 2020.

International Monetary Fund statistics at October 2015

1. China: US$19.510 trillion (up 7.9% from 2014)
2. United States: $17.968 trillion (up 3.6%)
3. India: $8.027 trillion (up 8.3%)
4. Japan: $4.842 trillion (up 1.6%)
5. Germany: $3.842 trillion (up 2.5%)
6. Russia: $3.474 trillion (down -2.9%)
7. Brazil: $3.208 trillion (down -2.1%)
8. Indonesia: $2.839 trillion (up 5.7%)
9. United Kingdom: $2.660 trillion (up 3.5%)
10. France: $2.647 trillion (up 2.2%)
11. Mexico: $2.220 trillion (up 3.3%)
12. Italy: $2.174 trillion (up 1.8%)
13. South Korea: $1.849 trillion (up 3.7%)
14. Saudi Arabia: $1.681 trillion (up 4.4%)
15. Spain: $1.636 trillion (up 4.1%)
16. Canada: $1.628 trillion (up 2%)
17. Turkey: $1.576 trillion (up 4.1%)
18. Iran: $1.382 trillion (up 1.8%)
19. Australia: $1.137 trillion (up 3.4%)
20. Taiwan: $1.114 trillion (up 3.2%)
21. Thailand: $1.107 trillion (up 3.5%)
22. Nigeria: $1.105 trillion (up 5%)
23. Poland: $1.003 trillion (up 4.5%)
24. Egypt: $996 billion (up 5.2%)
26. Pakistan: $930.8 billion (up 5.3%)
27. Netherlands: $831.4 billion (up 2.8%)
28. Malaysia: $813.5 billion (up 5.7%)
29. Philippines: $742.3 billion (up 7%)
30. South Africa: $724 billion (up 2.4%)

-International Monetary Fund's World Economic Outlook database.

- See more at: http://www.nigerianwatch.com/news/8271-latest-imf-figures-show-nieria-as-worlds-22nd-largest-economy-with-gdp-jof-11trn

get the fvck outta here. The eight largest economy in the world is not even a country. It is a state, and its call CALIFORNIA. China economy is 1/4 of USA. if you believe Nigeria is ahead of Singapore you must be joking. Texas !!! is the 15th largest economy in the world. That is a wrap my friend.
Re: Latest IMF Figures Show Nigeria As World's 22nd Largest Economy by kozmokaz(m): 9:38pm On Nov 26, 2015
Ephemmm:

This is one of the reasons i have not taken the opposition party PDP seriously.
Most of the economic backslashes we are experiencing now was inherited. The opposition will be quick to point out how bad our economy has degenerated forgetting that some of us are more intelligent and reasonable to know that the economy of a nation does not start crashing in a matter of months. It is a build up of failed policies and programmes cluelessly initiated or poorly implemented.
They're always quick to point to the positives of this present administration as a programme conceived and initiated by the GEJ but will distance themselves from the mess they created. What a hypocrisy!
. wen d glory of d lord departs from a nation dis s wat dey experience!!!

naira was 197 to dollar
buh immediately pmb came in wat did we see?

yes gej was clueless .... by surrounding him self with thieves and not doing wat needed to b dine to d saboteurs in his administration

buh wen I saw buhari.... he gave me d real definition of cluelessness!!!

just tell me one tin bubu has achieved so far and I will tell u countless tins obj achieved in his 1 year in office ...

Note: I can never compare pmb to gej!!!

light and darkness has nothing in common!!!
Re: Latest IMF Figures Show Nigeria As World's 22nd Largest Economy by kozmokaz(m): 9:41pm On Nov 26, 2015
mikolo80:
what legacy
what did he do
Just name 3
wen was d last tym u saw a train in Nigeria before gej came to power?

who constructed d Benin ore road?

who made Nigeria Africa's biggest economy ...?

should I continue?

APC has really swept ur brain off!!
Re: Latest IMF Figures Show Nigeria As World's 22nd Largest Economy by mazeltov(m): 9:43pm On Nov 26, 2015
keyzid:

Giving up so soon... well, since you don't wanna believe the increase in economy size is a fleet attributed to GEJ, i might want to drag it continuously with you.
Drag with me? Lolzz, that's why we need to discourage the use of handsets in secondary schools.
Re: Latest IMF Figures Show Nigeria As World's 22nd Largest Economy by Fearcom(m): 9:46pm On Nov 26, 2015
Ephemmm:

This is one of the reasons i have not taken the opposition party PDP seriously.
Most of the economic backslashes we are experiencing now was inherited. The opposition will be quick to point out how bad our economy has degenerated forgetting that some of us are more intelligent and reasonable to know that the economy of a nation does not start crashing in a matter of months. It is a build up of failed policies and programmes cluelessly initiated or poorly implemented.
They're always quick to point to the positives of this present administration as a programme conceived and initiated by the GEJ but will distance themselves from the mess they created. What a hypocrisy!

Took the words right out of my mouth.. Jonathan promised improved power supply within four years. When he failed, his supporters turned around to say that the rot in the power sector has been existing for years, thereby cruifying his party PDP which had been there since 1999 and his own six year administration.
Re: Latest IMF Figures Show Nigeria As World's 22nd Largest Economy by mazeltov(m): 9:49pm On Nov 26, 2015
kozmokaz:

let me ask you these simple questions.
When was Gej elected as the president of Nigeria?
And what year was Bokoharam founded? If you can't answer the questions then please don't bothrt to reply by insulting me. Thanks!!
Re: Latest IMF Figures Show Nigeria As World's 22nd Largest Economy by kozmokaz(m): 10:01pm On Nov 26, 2015
mazeltov:
let me ask you these simple questions.
When was Gej elected as the president of Nigeria?
And what year was Bokoharam founded? If you can't answer the questions then please don't bothrt to reply by insulting me. Thanks!!
permit me to answer ur question with a question ..

wat year did buhari threatened dat heads will roll if he didn't win d election?

and wat year did boko haram start use sophisticated weapons?

also I cab tell u authoritatively dat der are two factions of boko haram!!

d one waging a political war and d one waging "jihad"
Re: Latest IMF Figures Show Nigeria As World's 22nd Largest Economy by Stycon(m): 10:05pm On Nov 26, 2015
Until this translates to inclusive growth, it really doesn't matter if our dear country is number 1 on the list.

It's really funny how folks here trade blame on such news as this undecided Seriously, beyond all the blame game and sentimental "praise song", I think it's time our policy makers gave urgent attention to fixing our institutions "Cos this is the viable channel through which the so called "increased GDP" can make positive impact on average citizen; stamp-out corruption, put in place good governance, fix the legal system, reform our educational system, etc.

And who says China can't out grow U.S
Re: Latest IMF Figures Show Nigeria As World's 22nd Largest Economy by tonydatasrvs: 10:09pm On Nov 26, 2015
Get cheap and affordable shared data on all networks. contact tonydataservices on 08099819602.
Re: Latest IMF Figures Show Nigeria As World's 22nd Largest Economy by mazeltov(m): 10:29pm On Nov 26, 2015
kozmokaz:
permit me to answer ur question with a question
Feel free sir!!

kozmokaz:
wat year did buhari threatened dat heads will roll if he didn't win d election?
That should be in year 2011 I fink.

kozmokaz:
and wat year did boko haram start use sophisticated weapons?
I hate crossed argument!! What you said was that Bokoharam was ''CREATED'' to distabilise Gej's admibistration . Please take note of the word ''CREATED'' - You never said Bokoharam started using sophisticated weapons during Gej's administration. They are two different issues so Please stand by your word sir.

kozmokaz:
also I cab tell u authoritatively dat der are two factions of boko haram!!

d one waging a political war and d one waging "jihad"
I don't care about the structure of Bokoharam, I don't want to know anything about Jihad or whatever so kindly keep it to yourself.
Now I have answered your questions, Can you now please answer my question?

When was Gej elected as the president?
When was Bokoharam CREATED?
I only need the Years like (1965,2004 or 1993) and nothing more so don't go and type story or ask me another question, I no go read am. Just the years!! Thanks!!
Re: Latest IMF Figures Show Nigeria As World's 22nd Largest Economy by bashydemy(m): 10:38pm On Nov 26, 2015
menesheh:
GEJ handwork.

lalastica
hahhaha But if it happen to be the other way round you would have say otherwise.
Re: Latest IMF Figures Show Nigeria As World's 22nd Largest Economy by Bobnotrouble: 10:49pm On Nov 26, 2015
menesheh:
GEJ handwork.

lalastica
tahh! Pure lie.
Re: Latest IMF Figures Show Nigeria As World's 22nd Largest Economy by Bobnotrouble: 10:50pm On Nov 26, 2015
menesheh:
GEJ handwork.

lalastica
tahh! Pure lie.
Re: Latest IMF Figures Show Nigeria As World's 22nd Largest Economy by kozmokaz(m): 10:52pm On Nov 26, 2015
mazeltov:
Feel free sir!!

That should be in year 2011 I fink.

I hate crossed argument!! What you said was that Bokoharam was ''CREATED'' to distabilise Gej's admibistration . Please take note of the word ''CREATED'' - You never said Bokoharam started using sophisticated weapons during Gej's administration. They are two different issues so Please stand by your word sir.

I don't care about the structure of Bokoharam, I don't want to know anything about Jihad or whatever so kindly keep it to yourself.
Now I have answered your questions, Can you now please answer my question?

When was Gej elected as the president?
When was Bokoharam CREATED?
I only need the Years like (1965,2004 or 1993) and nothing more so don't go and type story or ask me another question, I no go read am. Just the years!! Thanks!!
. boko haram was created in d early 2000 by Mohammed Yusuf ... took up arms in 2009 after d death of its leader in detention...

abubaka shekeu took over from in 2009 but lunches it war in 2011 same year buhari made dat statement !!! hope u know dat majority of book haram fighters are kanuri?
and also pmb is also a kanuri man now my dear plot d graph and DX/DY
Re: Latest IMF Figures Show Nigeria As World's 22nd Largest Economy by kay4all(m): 11:29pm On Nov 26, 2015
johnydon22:

You can never hope to Jump from where you were to where China or U.S is now in a day..

What was U.S.A doing 60 years after their independence, they were still busy killing each other fighting a civil war over who needs slaves and who don't.. Now they are here after more than 250 years of independence.. 70 years ago 80% of Nigeria still have no idea what really a car is..

Nigeria can never jump to the level of U.S and China in a day, we are barely in our 50s after independence, development is a slow but consistent process that achieves desired results with time..

we only need leaders that care ..

Yea u are right with that statement
Re: Latest IMF Figures Show Nigeria As World's 22nd Largest Economy by bestiyke(m): 11:37pm On Nov 26, 2015
baralatie:
smiley
God bless everyone,presidents,citizens who have worked to make Nigeria proud!
This comments is for PMB and the APC to key into the numerous achievements Nigeria has achieved and stopand its propaganda campaign.
This is the summary about Nigeria that puts it on the Global stage!

"Over the last 15 years, Nigeria has enjoyed annual GDP growth rates of about 7% but with crude oil prices falling to about $40 a barrel from over $100 a barrel, it is no surprise that growth has slowed. Despite this, the economy continues to diversify and the country remains on course to achieve its goal of becoming one of the world's top 20 economies by 2020."

God bless Gej for his efforts and God Give PMB wisdom to key into this vision .
God bless Nigeria.
Patriotic Nigerian no bais. That's good. But let's pray that it will reflect on our living standard.
Re: Latest IMF Figures Show Nigeria As World's 22nd Largest Economy by naijafreelancer: 11:38pm On Nov 26, 2015
earn money as an entrepreneur, work freelance from home today.

Re: Latest IMF Figures Show Nigeria As World's 22nd Largest Economy by Harmony10: 11:42pm On Nov 26, 2015
modath:
All these statistics that don't reflect the reality of the citizens day to day existence are just tiring...

22nd Largest economy & youths by their 22nd bithdays are still begging parents & older relatives for small change to recharge their phones!!!! Issokay!!

Thank you. E b like say you understand economics. Economic growth is nothing if it has no impact on purchasing power. We Economists are more interested in Real GDP; Per Capita income; Cost of Living and Purchasing power (which impacts the Standard of Living) etc.
Re: Latest IMF Figures Show Nigeria As World's 22nd Largest Economy by eledalo: 11:49pm On Nov 26, 2015
johnydon22:

You can never hope to Jump from where you were to where China or U.S is now in a day..

What was U.S.A doing 60 years after their independence, they were still busy killing each other fighting a civil war over who needs slaves and who don't.. Now they are here after more than 250 years of independence.. 70 years ago 80% of Nigeria still have no idea what really a car is..

Nigeria can never jump to the level of U.S and China in a day, we are barely in our 50s after independence, development is a slow but consistent process that achieves desired results with time..

we only need leaders that care ..

The logic that years after independence is related to development is very flawed.
Cases like Singapore (independent in 1963 ie after Nigeria), which is a well developed country with a strong economy and high standard of living show this argument is wrong.
And remember that there are well developed countries (Thailand, Korea) that were never colonized so we can't even mention independence being a factor.
Independence is not a factor of development.

I agree with you only that 'development is a slow but consistent process that achieves desired results with time..

we only need leaders that care ..'
Re: Latest IMF Figures Show Nigeria As World's 22nd Largest Economy by Ballmer: 11:55pm On Nov 26, 2015
johnydon22:

It is embarrassing... A country of 170million settled for a one time military head of state, old and half educated to lead her in the 21st century. . . Instead of moving with time we went back more than 30 years backwards

When you are lost on a journey it's wiser to retrace your step than getting yourself entangled in a bigger mess. It's understandable you would find that difficult to comprehend but there's is no forward to go with a 22nd not 21st century PhD holder that declared that stealing of government is not corruption on national television.

Or were you expecting Nigerians to watch till he declares that armed robbery is also not corruption ? How do you explain a yearly budget of an average of 4 trillion by Jonathan and APC is already proposing 8 trillion budget.

What as Jonathan being doing with the extra 4 trillion, considering the fact that crude oil was sold over $100 altru his reign while the same crude is being sold at less than $ 50 under Buhari that is proposing a budget twice the size of the biggest Jonathan ever executed ?

Only a deranged human would argue Jonathan superiority over Buhari when you consider all of this.
Re: Latest IMF Figures Show Nigeria As World's 22nd Largest Economy by Nobody: 11:56pm On Nov 26, 2015
List by the International Monetary Fund (2014): Nigeria is 21
List by the World Bank (2014):Nigeria is 22
List by the United Nations (2013, rather old): Nigeria is 26
List by the CIA World Factbook (2003–2014): Nigeria is 21

Just hope the people in control, currently, keeps it up. Thanks to NOI, we may have achieved vision 2020 in 2015.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)
Re: Latest IMF Figures Show Nigeria As World's 22nd Largest Economy by fineguy11(m): 12:46am On Nov 27, 2015
Really,im all ears

Re: Latest IMF Figures Show Nigeria As World's 22nd Largest Economy by Nobody: 1:18am On Nov 27, 2015
kozmokaz:

you dey craze ... The first time I ever bought fuel at 500 naira per liter was during gejs time .
Oh yeah and I will never forget the January 1st 2012 gift shitrag.

So who is funding book haram now ? Opposition?

Just how stu pid are you?
Re: Latest IMF Figures Show Nigeria As World's 22nd Largest Economy by mikolo80: 2:34am On Nov 27, 2015
kozmokaz:
wen was d last tym u saw a train in Nigeria before gej came to power?

who constructed d Benin ore road?

who made Nigeria Africa's biggest economy ...?

should I continue?

APC has really swept ur brain off!!
25 trains raised our GDP by 300 bn naira, riiiiiiight
which school did you attend so my children avoid it at all costs

it's only pictures of rain damaged roads I used to see in media o and easterners are always complaining about that road.

I said how did he make Nigeria biggest economy you said he made it the biggest, imagine if you're a lecturer and a student answer you with your question Will you pass him or her.

my question how did he improve our econom
serious answer
Re: Latest IMF Figures Show Nigeria As World's 22nd Largest Economy by KLand(m): 2:45am On Nov 27, 2015
Looks like FG's Vision 20:20:2020 is paying off.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Shittu Stopped From Sharing Buhari/osinbajo 2019 Campaign Hats At FEC Meeting / Kwankwaso: I Regret Supporting Buhari Against Jonathan / Edo: Charles Ude Drags APC To Court, Seeks Ize-iyamu’s Disqualification

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.