Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,988 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:00 AM

How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person (26288 Views)

My Dad Gave N3m To His Boss' Wife To Buy Vehicle For Him, Now He's Dead / My Dad Cheated On My Mum Before She Died And He's Still Doing It / My Dad Wishes Me Death, Please Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by nathpope(m): 2:53am On Dec 23, 2015
musicwriter:
@OP.
I hope to write similar story here in future. How I fought Satan to get education, how I ran a parallel curriculum in my school, and how to learn without a teacher.

It's a long story.

Write d story brov....u may b a source of inspiration to some1 out there....
Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by Faithdamy(m): 4:29am On Dec 23, 2015
wow...kul...also check www.Damytechs..com
Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by bigpastor(m): 4:36am On Dec 23, 2015
musicwriter:
@OP.
I hope to write similar story here in future. How I fought Satan to get education, how I ran a parallel curriculum in my school, and how to learn without a teacher.

It's a long story.
This year or next year?
Pls write fast!
Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by deathmen12: 5:13am On Dec 23, 2015
hungryboy:
.abeg anybody were dey plan to throw christmas party should call me make i come chop,
My number na 090419419419,
God bless you as you call
hahahahaha. bros waitn dy hapn na
Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by Nobody: 5:38am On Dec 23, 2015
So sweet... I have learnt

Read your post to your mom...
She will appreciate it

1 Like

Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by CioAngels(f): 5:46am On Dec 23, 2015
Transfer the love you would have given to your father were he to be alife to your mother, sibblings and others so that your father will be happy with you wherever he his. Is good you reaslised your ills and made positive change. May His grace be on you continually.

1 Like

Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by lordsharks(m): 6:09am On Dec 23, 2015
Nice work by ur dad
Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by Mekky2010: 6:11am On Dec 23, 2015
As a child I received the usual strokes just like every other naija kid but my mum got a method that worked magic. Between 4 and 5am, she d wake u up, give u water to wash your face after which she goes into full emotional "blackmail", at times she will shed tears if she really wants to deal a terrible blow to ur emotions.

With the way I and my siblings love her, watching her do that will make u feel like a murderer and believe me, months after, we see ourselves still struggling to be at our best behaviors.

After we were all grown and independent, and joking about growing up, she confessed that some of those tactics were just well thought out drama.

That was how we started calling her our favourite and sweetest drama queen.

God 'll punish that cancer that took her away from us.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by LyfeJennings(m): 6:15am On Dec 23, 2015
mcdokwe:
I was born into what I consider a street life, public compounds and all its troubles.

My hustling parents still made sure I got the best especially in education but that didn’t in any way help as I picked up the most annoying and shameful personality.

I even as a kid would keep late nights without carrying out household chores and when it becomes apparent that I couldn’t escape my parents “do good,” opt to sleep out in trucks and sheds, I would occasionally sneak in and proceed to make under the bed my beautiful foams, this habit was cultivated to mitigate the effect of the surprise floggings mum especially had this habit of using deep into the mornings when she’d flog sleep out of my eyes. By the time she’d drag me out, I’d be fully awake to bear the consequences of my sins. How I managed to stay top of my class in primary school then still escapes me as I’d play my life out on daily basis.

I would pilfer on people, unsuspecting people whose heart I easily warmed up into and would sustain my belly and as such could keep avoiding home.

Oh! God bless my mum and grant my dad eternal rest. I’d constantly make “withdrawals” from their “home banks” and with it, live large in school. And constantly devised various methods to avoid detection. My neatly wrapped note books served as conduits to hide my loots to avoid detection and when that method failed, I resorted to hiding them in shoes, pens, I’d tear up the folds of my shirts and shorts and pass the folded cash into them. God knows if I had continued like that, I would have ended up a highway robber and maybe dead by now.
I was closely marked so I no go do, but two loose seconds were more than enough for me to hit a bounty when need be. I was a nightmare to my parents and at appoint when my dad moved and left us to the care of my mum, my constant acts made my dad make up his mind to come and take him along lest I killed his darling wife with HBP.
It is totally and completely ignoble thing to do, and looking back, I wonder what prompted me into such.

While staying with my dad, he once called me and told me how I was his favorite child. Till date, I still can’t tell how and why, because apart from the consequences of being the black sheep of the family, I was often the last to get gifts as they bothered me not.

Yes, I spent more time with my dad possibly due to the close marking I needed to keep my deviant behavior in check and naturally predisposed to his kind of job, but I still didn’t and haven’t seen how I was the favorite child; but I was deeply touched. He spoke of how my act pains him more than it would have if it were to be from anyone else and it sunk, he also said I wouldn’t stop being his favourite child notwithstanding. Today, thanks to those words, I’d rather dig poo to feed than pilfer on anyone. Well, the house chores are still there but I can at least shout my younger ones into doing them.

My Dad’s words (sweet and not the curses) made me a better person that I am today.

I had hoped that he lives for me to show him how much proud I was prepared to make him but death had other plans which were stronger.

U remind me of myself
I was such an animal. I sometimes wish I could turn the hands of time

1 Like

Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by LyfeJennings(m): 6:16am On Dec 23, 2015
Mekky2010:
As a child I received the usual strokes just like every other naija kid but my mum got a method that worked magic. Between 4 and 5am, she d wake u up, give u water to wash your face after which she goes into full emotional "blackmail", at times she will shed tears if she really wants to deal a terrible blow to ur emotions.

With the way I and my siblings love her, watching her do that will make u feel like a murderer and believe me, months after, we see ourselves still struggling to be at our best behaviors.

After we were all grown and independent, and joking about growing up, she confessed that some of those tactics were just well thought out drama.

Amen!!!!

1 Like

Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by Jumeeeeesal(m): 6:20am On Dec 23, 2015
Kudos to our parents!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by Jumeeeeesal(m): 6:22am On Dec 23, 2015
Kudos to our parents!!
Jumeeeeesal:
Kudos to our parents!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by Nobody: 6:27am On Dec 23, 2015
mcdokwe:
I was born into what I consider a street life, public compounds and all its troubles.

My hustling parents still made sure I got the best especially in education but that didn’t in any way help as I picked up the most annoying and shameful personality.

I even as a kid would keep late nights without carrying out household chores and when it becomes apparent that I couldn’t escape my parents “do good,” opt to sleep out in trucks and sheds, I would occasionally sneak in and proceed to make under the bed my beautiful foams, this habit was cultivated to mitigate the effect of the surprise floggings mum especially had this habit of using deep into the mornings when she’d flog sleep out of my eyes. By the time she’d drag me out, I’d be fully awake to bear the consequences of my sins. How I managed to stay top of my class in primary school then still escapes me as I’d play my life out on daily basis.

I would pilfer on people, unsuspecting people whose heart I easily warmed up into and would sustain my belly and as such could keep avoiding home.

Oh! God bless my mum and grant my dad eternal rest. I’d constantly make “withdrawals” from their “home banks” and with it, live large in school. And constantly devised various methods to avoid detection. My neatly wrapped note books served as conduits to hide my loots to avoid detection and when that method failed, I resorted to hiding them in shoes, pens, I’d tear up the folds of my shirts and shorts and pass the folded cash into them. God knows if I had continued like that, I would have ended up a highway robber and maybe dead by now.
I was closely marked so I no go do, but two loose seconds were more than enough for me to hit a bounty when need be. I was a nightmare to my parents and at appoint when my dad moved and left us to the care of my mum, my constant acts made my dad make up his mind to come and take him along lest I killed his darling wife with HBP.
It is totally and completely ignoble thing to do, and looking back, I wonder what prompted me into such.

While staying with my dad, he once called me and told me how I was his favorite child. Till date, I still can’t tell how and why, because apart from the consequences of being the black sheep of the family, I was often the last to get gifts as they bothered me not.

Yes, I spent more time with my dad possibly due to the close marking I needed to keep my deviant behavior in check and naturally predisposed to his kind of job, but I still didn’t and haven’t seen how I was the favorite child; but I was deeply touched. He spoke of how my act pains him more than it would have if it were to be from anyone else and it sunk, he also said I wouldn’t stop being his favourite child notwithstanding. Today, thanks to those words, I’d rather dig poo to feed than pilfer on anyone. Well, the house chores are still there but I can at least shout my younger ones into doing them.

My Dad’s words (sweet and not the curses) made me a better person that I am today.

I had hoped that he lives for me to show him how much proud I was prepared to make him but death had other plans which were stronger.

Sadly not all of us can say the same about our parents
Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by GentleSmiles: 6:34am On Dec 23, 2015
saint047:
Since the euphoric feeling of a new year has catapulted & corjouned around the globe, Im obliged to wish you an ephemeral, fantabulous & suppersatamagorgeous new year. May your x-mass be puntuated with a revanchism whose magniloquence can only be theatropistically analysed by the use of areminiscent excarbation.compliment of the Season pals

U wicked!!!
Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by Kk4(m): 6:35am On Dec 23, 2015
I can relate brother.

GOD BLESS OUR FATHERS
Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by GentleSmiles: 6:47am On Dec 23, 2015
mcdokwe:

I thank God for u. I wasn't lucky to get such life changing admonition from my paleh till his demise. U and I had same growth but mine was turned around by divine mercies of God.
Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by engrusmankudu34(m): 6:56am On Dec 23, 2015
u no try u no try u no try
Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by musicwriter(m): 7:19am On Dec 23, 2015
nathpope:

Write d story brov....u may b a source of inspiration to some1 out there....

Yes, I will write something on that in future as I said. Indeed, it will be very inspiring.

In a nutshell.......

After several other past events.

I studied HISTORY and GEOGRAPHY in secondary school without a teacher, because we didn't have a teacher for the two subjects in our community school. But, I've been reading these subjects independently even before I entered secondary school.

On choosing subjects for WAEC, I listed the two subjects among my chosen course. But, because my subjects were different from every other student, our school principal saw it and called me to his office. On getting there he asked me why I included HISTORY and GEOGRAPHY. Well, I told him there were my best subjects. Then, he asked me; do you mean you've been running a parallel curriculum in this school?. Of which I answered YES.

He refused that I enter the two subjects for WAEC. He said I should resubmit my WAEC subjects without HISTORY and GEOGRAPHY (in hindsight I can see he thought he wanted to help me do the right thing).

But, I refused. I told him that I've been studying those subjects for too long, even before I entered secondary school. I told him repeatedly "HISTORY and GEOGRAPHY are my best subjects". He thought I was out of my mind. Actually, everybody thought I was out of my mind.

He then decided to test me. Later that day he came to our class and he told the whole class what was happening and that he was going to ask me some questions in the presence of my classmates. If I get the answers correct I will write HISTORY and GEOGRAPHY in my WAEC. And if I fail his questions I'll not take them.

First, using an atlas he drew a map of Eurasia (parts of Europe and Asia) and told me to point at "India, Sri Lanka, and Russia". Which I did gallantly in a Flash!. He asked me a couple of other questions on GEOGRAPHY, and I answered all of them without fail. Actually, I've been longing for someone to ask me such questions over the years. But, there was nobody to help me. That was the first and only day a teacher ever wrote "GEOGRAPHY" in a chalk board for me.

Long story short, I shocked the school principal. The man was so shocked about my knowledge of GEOGRAPHY and HISTORY such that he later came to our house that evening to inform my father that whatever he do he must send me to university. Henceforth, he began to address me as Mr. Geography, of which I was proud to answer.

I later sat for GEOGRAPHY for WAEC and got credit C5. I was the only student in the examination hall that day, no expos, just me and the question paper. History was dropped because according to the school principal I couldn't convince him I would do it alone. That was his assumption, but it wasn't correct. I would've still credited HISTORY, if he allowed me.

I don't want to write longer. This may actually be put in a book to inspire others as you said. I'm a living proof you can study anything you want on your own. As a matter of fact, in the process I discovered how to learn, how to teach, how to get a student conceptualize a topic, how to create knowledge, how to decolonize the minds of Africans. As I speak I've discovered a new subject called "unlearn" because everything we've learned in life is not always true. Unlearn will help address most of the world's problem like racism which started off as ignorance in Europe. This's a whole new story on it's own.

Let's leave it for another day.

1 Like

Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by Nobody: 7:26am On Dec 23, 2015
mcdokwe:

Miss my Dad also
Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by cuteemperor(m): 7:43am On Dec 23, 2015
this story made me remember how I stop sucking my thumbs at 16 years,

I was beaten, punished and even my thumbs were marked with razor all in a bid to make me stop, but I just won't, rather I shift from one thumb to another... my parents really tried all known methods, including rubbing my thumbs with all sort of bitter leafs and stuffs, the only thing they didn't have me put my thumbs into is sh!t, still, all na suck... lol, I don't blame them, having a grown up boy that suck his thumbs can be really disgusting and embarrassing, giving the fact that I suck the thumb indiscriminately, as in, na anywhere the thing hungry me I dey put am for mouth, the thing is, I kind of do it unconsciously, before I know it, I'm sucking away. This continued for so long that folks started saying my issue could actually be spiritual...lolz, trust our people to always attach unseen forces to whatever they can't explain.

Then one evening, my mum caught me sucking my thumbs again, she was furious, she invited me into my dad's room to serve punishment (the one they call "stool down"wink and whenever my leg (the one that was suppose to hang in the air) touches the ground, the Cain will land on my bare back..... I have to say, during the cause of serving this punishment the one thing that was on my mind was to suck my thumbs the moment I step out of that room, so as to show her that her wickedness (well, I thought she was just been wicked then) can not break my sucking spirit...lolz. But as God will have it, she releases me from my punishment and ask me to come sit near her... she talked to me kindly, told me how I was my dad's favourite child (been the only son) and how me sucking my thumbs has been embarrassing him and making him not proud of me, she speak to me so kindly and she was very emotional, then for the first time, I admit within me that what I was doing was bad and wrong, and if it is making my mum sad and my dad not proud of me, then I should stop... and I made a resolution to stop... How?, I taped my thumbs slightly with a paper tape, so that whenever my thumbs unconsciously find its way into my mouth I will feel the tape and remember why they were there.... funny, but it worked.

Then in less than a month, I completely forget about sucking my thumbs, I can still remember the day I become conscious of the fact that I have stop sucking my thumbs, I put the thumb in my mouth and suck on it, taaaaar! and I thought to myself, what the hell have I been sucking in this thumb, That was how 10 minutes of kind words, explanation and reasoning help me break an habit that 16 years of flogging, punishment and mutilation cannot break.

2 Likes

Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by cutechi(f): 7:48am On Dec 23, 2015
Touching! Parental love.

1 Like

Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by Nobody: 7:57am On Dec 23, 2015
LyfeJennings:

U remind me of myself
I was such an animal. I sometimes wish I could turn the hands of time

You just spoke from my mouth. But thanks to God l have a family now. Thank you mum and dad. You are the best.
Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by kurukusese: 7:59am On Dec 23, 2015
Thank God for parents. Have a similar upbringing it takes Dad's encouraging words and Almighty God that pulled me out. I was perfecting my pilfering to go on streets for action. but GodWiN.! May his soul rest in everlasting peace!

1 Like

Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by Nobody: 8:07am On Dec 23, 2015
@mcdokwe

Your father was a very wise man. He understood that those who give us only a few or no reason to love them, need love the most.

I hope people will learn from this story. It is beautiful.

2 Likes

Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by cuteemperor(m): 8:32am On Dec 23, 2015
Mekky2010:

thunder fire the cancer join.... so touched.
Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by izutex007(m): 9:02am On Dec 23, 2015
[quote author=yungkc post=41254853][/quote]

yeah. Moreso @OP you need God (full time) in your life. Perhaps He was also waited for you to change just as ur biological father deed.

About youths and the tendency to go wild...its a long story on its own
Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by norame(f): 10:25am On Dec 23, 2015
Sweetheart, your story really touched me... Wish his alive to see u now.. Thank God for your life though.
Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by tolui: 10:59am On Dec 23, 2015
Nice one bro
Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by nathpope(m): 11:04am On Dec 23, 2015
musicwriter:

Yes, I will write something on that in future as I said. Indeed, it will be very inspiring.

In a nutshell.......

After several other past events.

I studied HISTORY and GEOGRAPHY in secondary school without a teacher, because we didn't have a teacher for the two subjects in our community school. But, I've been reading these subjects independently even before I entered secondary school.

On choosing subjects for WAEC, I listed the two subjects among my chosen course. But, because my subjects were different from every other student, our school principal saw it and called me to his office. On getting there he asked me why I included HISTORY and GEOGRAPHY. Well, I told him there were my best subjects. Then, he asked me; do you mean you've been running a parallel curriculum in this school?. Of which I answered YES.

He refused that I enter the two subjects for WAEC. He said I should resubmit my WAEC subjects without HISTORY and GEOGRAPHY (in hindsight I can see he thought he wanted to help me do the right thing).

But, I refused. I told him that I've been studying those subjects for too long, even before I entered secondary school. I told him repeatedly "HISTORY and GEOGRAPHY are my best subjects". He thought I was out of my mind. Actually, everybody thought I was out of my mind.

He then decided to test me. Later that day he came to our class and he told the whole class what was happening and that he was going to ask me some questions in the presence of my classmates. If I get the answers correct I will write HISTORY and GEOGRAPHY in my WAEC. And if I fail his questions I'll not take them.

First, using an atlas he drew a map of Eurasia (parts of Europe and Asia) and told me to point at "India, Sri Lanka, and Russia". Which I did gallantly in a Flash!. He asked me a couple of other questions on GEOGRAPHY, and I answered all of them without fail. Actually, I've been longing for someone to ask me such questions over the years. But, there was nobody to help me. That was the first and only day a teacher ever wrote "GEOGRAPHY" in a chalk board for me.

Long story short, I shocked the school principal. The man was so shocked about my knowledge of GEOGRAPHY and HISTORY such that he later came to our house that evening to inform my father that whatever he do he must send me to university. Henceforth, he began to address me as Mr. Geography, of which I was proud to answer.

I later sat for GEOGRAPHY for WAEC and got credit C5. I was the only student in the examination hall that day, no expos, just me and the question paper. History was dropped because according to the school principal I couldn't convince him I would do it alone. That was his assumption, but it wasn't correct. I would've still credited HISTORY, if he allowed me.

I don't want to write longer. This may actually be put in a book to inspire others as you said. I'm a living proof you can study anything you want on your own. As a matter of fact, in the process I discovered how to learn, how to teach, how to get a student conceptualize a topic, how to create knowledge, how to decolonize the minds of Africans. As I speak I've discovered a new subject called "unlearn" because everything we've learned in life is not always true. Unlearn will help address most of the world's problem like racism which started off as ignorance in Europe. This's a whole new story on it's own.

Let's leave it for another day.

me likey ur story...
Same way I taught myself English Literature in secondary school..(a commecrcial student 4dat matter).

I think I'ld lyk to learn ur ''unlearn''

lemme knw whn u publish ur story..
Like I said b4...''me likey ur story''
Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by musicwriter(m): 11:32am On Dec 23, 2015
nathpope:

me likey ur story...
Same way I taught myself English Literature in secondary school..(a commecrcial student 4dat matter).

I think I'ld lyk to learn ur ''unlearn''

lemme knw whn u publish ur story..
Like I said b4...''me likey ur story''

Yes, unlearn will be one of the biggest thing to happen to education in our time. The only problem is Africa is still developing and there's no avenue to apply for grants to do research work on this type of stuff, otherwise, I would've created the curriculum already.

Take this example. We studied that there are 9 planets in the solar system and that "PLUTO" was also a planet. But now, scientists say Pluto is no longer a planet.

The question is; what about the previous knowledge?. You need to discard it!.

Only unlearn will take care of such area of defunct or incorrect knowledge, why it made it to our curriculum/knowledge base in the first place, how to avoid such again, e.t.c, otherwise, over time you're going to have piles of knowledge that can't be proved to be valuable for future academic consumption or not.

Unlearn will be an academic gold mine for intellectuals and scholars, and will cause old people to start education afresh because of the fantastic prospect it offers for re-learning and serious debates among scholars. Sometimes, I wonder why nobody have ever thought of this before!.

Alright, you'll be notified, God's willing.

1 Like

Re: How My Dad's Loving Words Made Me A Better Person by mcdokwe(m): 12:04pm On Dec 23, 2015
eROCK247:

Ur dad definitely deserves a national award! Meanwhile my prioritised prayer point as we step into a new year is: "Dear God, don't give me a child like OP

Amen, you definitely don't know what you'd be missing

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kenyan Lady Exposes Maid Who Plans To Break Her Marriage To Become New Wife / Pregnant During Wedding Or Baby Before Wedding / Woman From Enugu Wandering With Her Daughter In Ogun State. Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.