Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,544 members, 7,827,032 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:05 AM

No Native Doctor Section On Nairaland Why? Are We Not Africans? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Native Doctor Section On Nairaland Why? Are We Not Africans? (5640 Views)

Nairaland, Why? / The Popularity Of GEJ Is Dwindling On Nairaland. Why? / Nairaland: Why So Much Copy And Paste? Cant You Write A Story By Yourself? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No Native Doctor Section On Nairaland Why? Are We Not Africans? by back2back(f): 9:02pm On Jun 15, 2009
Old pirates, yes, they rob i;
Sold I to the merchant ships

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;
None but ourselves can free our mind.

How long shall they kill our prophets,
While we stand aside and look?

simple words for those that can think.
Re: No Native Doctor Section On Nairaland Why? Are We Not Africans? by tpiah: 9:03pm On Jun 15, 2009
redsun:

Tpia,how is church money making ritual in the name of tithes and offerings to the invincible god different?

maybe the church one doesnt require a literal arm and leg?

After you give, you can use your legs to walk back and make more money to give your church.

However, if you're missing an arm, leg or eyeball that makes it harder assuming you're still alive.
Re: No Native Doctor Section On Nairaland Why? Are We Not Africans? by blacksta(m): 9:21pm On Jun 15, 2009
Traditional Gods - Biggest scam of the century- As someone mentioned where were all these gods when the white man invaded Africa. and also and how come these so called gods have not fixed Nigeria.
Re: No Native Doctor Section On Nairaland Why? Are We Not Africans? by MrCrackles(m): 9:22pm On Jun 15, 2009
blacksta:

Traditional Gods - Biggest scam of the century- As someone mentioned where were all these gods when the white man invaded Africa. and also and how come these so called gods have not fixed Nigeria.

Lolz! grin
Re: No Native Doctor Section On Nairaland Why? Are We Not Africans? by KnowAll(m): 9:27pm On Jun 15, 2009
The only geniue juju that works is in nollywood.
Re: No Native Doctor Section On Nairaland Why? Are We Not Africans? by platinumnk(f): 9:27pm On Jun 15, 2009
i dont think juju men have time to go browsin on the internet much less NL!!

but if there is one on NL, holla at me I gotta a job for you.  wink
Re: No Native Doctor Section On Nairaland Why? Are We Not Africans? by KnowAll(m): 9:55pm On Jun 15, 2009
The only geniue juju that works is in nollywood.

Having siad the above, one must not discount ATR in its totality, there are dark forces and even the bible acknowledge it. The story of Moses comes to mind where the forces of evil were at play. We all know the story of the isrelites been in boudage in Egypt. It took the final feat that is the death of all first born for pharoah to allow the isrealites to go. But we must remember that as each cause befell Egypt the bible says Pharoah's magicians where also trying to proof to Pharoah that Moses was a magician like them so black magic is real and has been real since the days of the old testament.

1 Like

Re: No Native Doctor Section On Nairaland Why? Are We Not Africans? by ElRazur: 10:16pm On Jun 15, 2009
It is funny how people have missed the point. From Tpiah, blackrichy and co.

People are mixing Black magic, with other forms of worship. I know a few things or so about ogun worship and none of these things in my opinion support black magic. It is more about been in tune with one's belief and keeping in touch with one's God.

As much as most of your are focusing on the black magic art, people are quick to forget that these same black magic are ever present in Christianity and Islam - the two dominant religion in Nigeria. Jesus spits in muds and says prayer [Prayer is just a posh name for incantations you see.], The quran discuss of how to read certain verses in how to tackle Jinn. Surely all these things translate as some form of magic? I will let people decide if it is white or black.

I have said it at the beginning of this thread and I am saying it again, most major traditional forms of religions do need a rework and I believe that with intervention of people with my sort of mind set can bring about changes. After all, people like Jesus came to make changes to Christianity as we know it today? So is Muhammed who spread his own form of religion.

Here is an example: Back in my village, there is a river that is sacred in some ways, villagers are not allowed to catch the fish inside. The belief is that this fishes are sacred and if caught, they can never be cooked - i.e no matter how one cook them they just wont die. Beside, who ever tried will have plenty of consequences to face.

To cut a long story short, I have defied this kind of law in my quest to actually see what would happen. The end result is that I caught the fish - very big one, cooked them and I am still very much alive today.

The actual sacred story that was invented to keep the villager away is more or less designed to keep the water fresh as it was the only source of proper drinking water at the time.

Some of you may laugh at this, but what it is the difference between this and those who believe Jesus is in heaven, coming back to judge this world or there is 72 virgin in heaven? There really isn't much, only that one can be tested like I did and the others cant.

Anyway for all you sceptics, things are not what they seem sometimes.
Re: No Native Doctor Section On Nairaland Why? Are We Not Africans? by RichyBlacK(m): 10:53pm On Jun 15, 2009
ElRazur:

Here is an example: Back in my village, there is a river that  is sacred in some ways, villagers are not allowed to catch the fish inside. The belief is that this fishes are sacred and if caught, they can never be cooked - i.e no matter how one cook them they just wont die. Beside, who ever tried will have plenty of consequences to face.

To cut a long story short, I have defied this kind of law in my quest to actually see what would happen. The end result is that I caught the fish - very big one, cooked them and I am still very much alive today.

The actual sacred story that was invented to keep the villager away is more or less designed to keep the water fresh as it was the only source of proper drinking water at the time.

Some of you may laugh at this, but what it is the difference between this and those who believe Jesus is in heaven, coming back to judge this world or there is 72 virgin in heaven? There really isn't much, only that one can be tested like I did and the others cant.

Anyway for all you sceptics, things are not what they seem sometimes.

@ElRazur,

We also have that in my village and I agree with your explanation as to why such restrictions were put in place. Honestly, these were some of the earliest forms of nature-preservation that we had. Many of these restrictions had truly beautiful reasons behind them.

It seemed that the lack of written records made it possible for oral transmission of culture to be dominant. In time, the village people forgot the actual reasons why these environmental restrictions were put in place, and focused on the consequences. In more time, the consequences started gathering more bizarre artifacts and unscrupulous myths, claims and assertions replaced basic common-sense reasons. Ultimately, rubbish claims like "if a person eats the fish, the person will die in seven days" became gospel truths.

My mission is to make it abundantly clear that substituting common-sense reasoning with mythical gibberish has the unintended consequence of dulling the mind, discouraging inquisitiveness, destroying curiosity and stunting incisive minds. Over a sustained period, the population gets duller and duller, because the skeptics have either been sacrificed to the gods, murdered for being witches, sold into slavery for being stubborn or banished from society for questioning the gods.

Unfortunately, we have people who still believe that  mammywaters are living inside the Atlantic ocean! grin
Re: No Native Doctor Section On Nairaland Why? Are We Not Africans? by ElRazur: 11:10pm On Jun 15, 2009
RichyBlacK:

@ElRazur,

We also have that in my village and I agree with your explanation as to why such restrictions were put in place. Honestly, these were some of the earliest forms of nature-preservation that we had. Many of these restrictions had truly beautiful reasons behind them.

It seemed that the lack of written records made it possible for oral transmission of culture to be dominant. In time, the village people forgot the actual reasons why these environmental restrictions were put in place, and focused on the consequences. In more time, the consequences started gathering more bizarre artifacts and unscrupulous myths, claims and assertions replaced basic common-sense reasons. Ultimately, rubbish claims like "if a person eats the fish, the person will die in seven days" became gospel truths.

My mission is to make it abundantly clear that substituting common-sense reasoning with mythical gibberish has the unintended consequence of dulling the mind, discouraging inquisitiveness, destroying curiosity and stunting incisive minds. Over a sustained period, the population gets duller and duller, because the skeptics have either been sacrificed to the gods, murdered for being witches, sold into slavery for being stubborn or banished from society for questioning the gods.

Unfortunately, we have people who still believe that  mammywaters are living inside the Atlantic ocean! grin

Glad you see the point I am trying to make.

Yeah I agree the lack of written record have affected many of our heritage, tradition, indigenous religion and culture. The thing is that, something have to be done about this very soon, or we will soon become non-existent officially. The art is systematically being lost as more and more young people are leaving [or left] the village for the city. Like I said before, reforms and re-working is what we need. If the govt. is willing to help fund this sort of project, I am more than happy to give my time and do as much as I can. I mean, look at the Indians, they have so many religions and most of it have some sort of documentation or the other.

Again I agree with you, the system of simple-beliefs have been exploited by men for their own gain. I mean, if a pastor can acquire a private plane, what is stopping a local/ native medicine man from charging a ram, 7 tuber of yams and a basket of Kola nuts?

We all have one form of belief or the other, for example, I do not believe in the existence of God, yet I find traditional religion fascinating that I have studied as much as I can. Oh I also believe in the existence of alien though, as I believe we do not exist alone in the universe. In fact, I have on my face book page "African Voodoo Science" as my religion lol.
Re: No Native Doctor Section On Nairaland Why? Are We Not Africans? by grafikdon: 1:01am On Jun 16, 2009
RichyBlacK:

@ElRazur,

That has been my line of argument even before my Grand uncle confirmed that. My village had such restrictions on pythons. They were like squirrels in the Streets of New York. Very beautiful harmless creatures (until you give them access to your eggs  grin). A lot of people understood the reason behind the restriction (wild life conservation) but the rest focused on the "consequences".

It is the same situation in Awka where the monkeys roam like squirrels. To the people who understand the reason behind the monkey business, it is a perfect wild life conservation method, while the rest view them as another superstition and Okija juju extravaganza. I personally find the monkeys adorable and when I hear that people eat monkeys, I cringe. Now I understand the pain of dog lovers when they hear  tales of "404 spare parts dealers"grin grin

I only wish they placed such restrictions on the leopards. . .the 'Ogbuagus'' have killed them off. cry cry cry

For the mammy water part, most of the Dibias are fraudsters or to put it 'mildly' "Guymen", especially the cure-all-heal-all-spiritual-metaphysical-gibberish type. They play on people's fears and try so hard not to ''downgrade'' their trade to that of a ''common'' herbalist, in a bid to attract hefty financial compensation from unsuspecting mugus patients  lipsrsealed

This is their biggest scam:

When a Dibia diagnoses an ailment as typhoid fever, he knows exactly the roots and herbs to mix in order to kick out the ailment. Doing this will seem simple to the patient and may raise an eyebrow if the fee is a little hefty. in order to squeeze every kobo out of the patient, they will make up uncountable tales of bondage, death and all sorts of macabre tales of the supernatural that is usually set under the Atlantic Ocean. The tale is normally  capped by threat of imminent death unless some bogus mammy water spirit or wife/husband in the sea is appeased. By the time they are done with their Lord of the Rings tales (yes, these guys deserve Oscars for their convincing fairy tales shocked shocked). The patient will be willing to sell his only land in order to buy all the materials needed for the ''appeasement".

Now if you are the type that has one leg in Christianity and the other in ATR, you are going to be squeezed until you are dried up like stock fish. They will recommend materials that you will not like be seen dragging around. In order to avoid suspicious glances from prying eyes, you will opt for the  "cash'' alternative (the Dibia buys the "materials" on your behalf grin).

After all said and done (appeasement of whatever imaginary mammy water spirit, sea husband/wife), the Dibia gives you a typhoid fever tonic or concoction made from natural roots and herbs and your ailment will be eradicated (something he should have done in the first place angry).

The next time you are down with constipation, the Dibia will continue to fleece you mercilessly with bold demand of goats, cockroach testicles, snake rectum, hawk saliva and the usual "Cash alternative", until you wise up and either go to a skilled honest herbalist who heals with just roots and herbs or take your ass to the hospital. . . grin grin grin

I think we all now know who started 419 even before the coming of Oyibo man
. . . lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: No Native Doctor Section On Nairaland Why? Are We Not Africans? by posakosa(m): 2:40am On Jun 16, 2009
Im looking for a babalawo or Ifa priest.
Re: No Native Doctor Section On Nairaland Why? Are We Not Africans? by ElRazur: 8:15am On Jun 16, 2009
I think an Ifa priest is a better choice. Most of them practise white magic - similar to things Jesus and Mohammed did. While Babaalawo dabbles in Black magic. smiley
Re: No Native Doctor Section On Nairaland Why? Are We Not Africans? by Grizzly(m): 9:31am On Jun 16, 2009
All These self professed nl jujumen dey go church oh!
Re: No Native Doctor Section On Nairaland Why? Are We Not Africans? by ElRazur: 10:05am On Jun 16, 2009
Grizzly:

And who will "these" people be? I don't go to church and I never claimed to be a voodoo man.  grin I just read about stuff and take from my experience. wink
Re: No Native Doctor Section On Nairaland Why? Are We Not Africans? by kshow1(m): 11:29am On Jun 16, 2009
Grizzly:

To be honest with you it is in Nigeria that we have these craze of church going and the reason for these is simply POVERTY AND PEOPLE LOOKING FOR A MIRACLE TO HAPPEN.

@ POSTER : I quite agree with you we need to go back to the roots.
Re: No Native Doctor Section On Nairaland Why? Are We Not Africans? by Badriyyah(f): 12:37pm On Jun 16, 2009
Because when the other religions came, Africans were told that their deities were crap and forced to pick up Western religion. Yet, it's the same westerners that glorify Greek Gods and have all our artifacts in their musuems. It's part of our history and should not be forgotten.
Re: No Native Doctor Section On Nairaland Why? Are We Not Africans? by walata44(m): 1:26pm On Jun 16, 2009
Because when the other religions came, Africans were told that their deities were crap and forced to pick up  Western religion. Yet, it's the same westerners that glorify Greek Gods and have all our artifacts in their musuems. It's part of our history and should not be forgotten.

Thank you, the halloween celebration in the western word. Halloween is the celebration of witches and wizardry in the land of the same people that gave us Christianity 

History of Halloween
Halloween has origins in the ancient Celtic festival known as Samhain (Irish pronunciation: [ˈsˠaunʲ]; from the Old Irish samain, possibly derived from Gaulish samonios).[5] The festival of Samhain is a celebration of the end of the harvest season in Gaelic culture, and is sometimes[6] regarded as the "Celtic New Year".[7] Traditionally, the festival was a time used by the ancient Celtic pagans to take stock of supplies and slaughter livestock for winter stores. The ancient Celts believed that on October 31, now known as Halloween, the boundary between the living and the deceased dissolved, and the dead become dangerous for the living by causing problems such as sickness or damaged crops. The festivals would frequently involve bonfires, into which the bones of slaughtered livestock were thrown. Costumes and masks were also worn at the festivals in an attempt to copy the evil spirits or placate them.[8][9]
Re: No Native Doctor Section On Nairaland Why? Are We Not Africans? by redsun(m): 1:58pm On Jun 16, 2009
Some of the artifacts oyinbos told our ancestors that they were evil and idolatry objects are still in british museum today,yielding serious money for the state.The artifacts they couldn't loot,they set on fire or buried,yet in the 21st century,with all the evidences and proofs of their scam,we the present generation are still falling for the same bullshit and we wonder why we are going backwards as a people.

Illusion.
Re: No Native Doctor Section On Nairaland Why? Are We Not Africans? by debosky(m): 2:02pm On Jun 16, 2009
what happened to the artifacts in Nigerian museums? Why aren't they yielding 'serious money' for Nigeria?

No one is worshipping the artifacts at the British Museum so it doesn't mean they aren't idols/evil. Besides, the glass cases used in British Museums are juju proof. grin
Re: No Native Doctor Section On Nairaland Why? Are We Not Africans? by redsun(m): 2:06pm On Jun 16, 2009
Who said they worship them?They are for historical references,meanwhile how can we make money from our artifacts when we don't they stand for?
Re: No Native Doctor Section On Nairaland Why? Are We Not Africans? by redsun(m): 2:21pm On Jun 16, 2009
Do anybody know of the Benin bronze mask(The face of Queen Idia),that was looted by the british from the Benin empire and it is still in british museum today?

At the time of FESTAC 77 in nigeria,it was used as the symbol for the festival and nigeria wanted the mask back but the british government refused,only agreeing to rent out the mask to nigeria for one million pounds just for the period of the festival.

Can u imagine that?It was stolen and it is rightly ours.
Re: No Native Doctor Section On Nairaland Why? Are We Not Africans? by redsun(m): 2:45pm On Jun 16, 2009
Re: No Native Doctor Section On Nairaland Why? Are We Not Africans? by mawuleko: 10:05am On Jul 15, 2009
greetings everyone,
i'm happy to see some African traditionalists sharing our thoughts on nairaland!
i'm a student of various atr's with a specific focus on ifa. i came across an interesting post on this thread that i'd like to inquire about, with due respect. if i'm not mistaken i believe it was ElRazur who posted that babalawo's dable in "black magic" and ifa priests do not. pardon my ignorance, but i thought that the babalawo and ifa priest are one in the same? and i do not consider ifa to be black magic at all. i've heard that the babalawo/iyanifa is in fact the priest of ifa. so i'm confused. if the ifa priest is not a babalawo, then what is the ifa priest called, maybe a babaniifa? again pardon my ignorance but am just a begining student. i thought that an ifa apprentice must learn the intricacies of awo or awo ifa amongst other things. i thought that the study of awo is quite a significant component of ifa tradition. hopefully somebody can educate me on this. thanks in advance
modupe olukuluku enia,
ase,
Mawuleko
Re: No Native Doctor Section On Nairaland Why? Are We Not Africans? by jookco(m): 5:15am On Jul 16, 2009
The Idol worshiping is the samething that keep africa undeveloped, most of our leaders does not have common sense thus trying to protect themself with Juju which has no power, led emulate the americans who brought christianity to us, lets do what they do to have develpoment and peace of mind, your hardly see them worshiping other gods, this is why God keep having macy on them
Re: No Native Doctor Section On Nairaland Why? Are We Not Africans? by Nobody: 5:17am On Jul 16, 2009
mawuleko:

so i'm confused.

nothing surprising about that.^

Did you expect to not be confused?
Re: No Native Doctor Section On Nairaland Why? Are We Not Africans? by tamme: 6:27pm On Jul 24, 2009
so sad that the colonial masters made us think our religion was barbaric and evil. .colonization was the worst thing that happened in Africa
Re: No Native Doctor Section On Nairaland Why? Are We Not Africans? by ChinenyeN(m): 4:52pm On Oct 18, 2009
I know I'm months late to this, but some people asked where our gods were when Europe colonized us. The same can be asked of the Europeans. Where were the Greek gods when Rome conquered them? Where were the Anglo-Saxon gods when the French invaded and conquered them? There are more examples, but I'm sure you get my point.
Re: No Native Doctor Section On Nairaland Why? Are We Not Africans? by Afam(m): 8:50am On Oct 19, 2009
ChinenyeN:

I know I'm months late to this, but some people asked where our gods were when Europe colonized us. The same can be asked of the Europeans. Where were the Greek gods when Rome conquered them? Where were the Anglo-Saxon gods when the French invaded and conquered them? There are more examples, but I'm sure you get my point.

Exactly!

In fact, where were the gods when some fundamentalists hijacked 4 planes on September 11 2001 and brought down world trade centre, crashed one into the Pentagon and the other crashed on its way to the White House?

Ignorance is indeed a bid disease.
Re: No Native Doctor Section On Nairaland Why? Are We Not Africans? by Nobody: 10:14am On Oct 19, 2009
@ tiphia,

are you saying that money making rituals is only associated with traditional practitioners?, visit any celestial church, i'm sure they would prepare a money ritual for you from the Bible.
Re: No Native Doctor Section On Nairaland Why? Are We Not Africans? by Nobody: 11:46am On Oct 19, 2009
I just cant stop laughing with all the response to this thread,,i think seun should just create traditional religions thread under the religion section so that issues like this can be discussed there.,this is not politics at all.,richyblack,take note
Re: No Native Doctor Section On Nairaland Why? Are We Not Africans? by fstranger6: 11:24am On Jan 04, 2011
any update?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Peter Obi Currently Being Rubbished On AIT (tune In) / PDP Ridicules Oshiomhole With This Photo, Checkout Reactions Of Edo Citizens / Now That The UK And US Have Taken Their Decision On Ipob What Next

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.