Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,767 members, 7,809,957 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:46 PM

How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story (40875 Views)

MURIC Calls For Arrest, Prosecution Of Oro Priests In Ikorodu / How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos / Movement Around Ikorodu Will Be Limited Tomorrow Due To Oro Festival (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by VickyRotex(f): 3:55am On Jan 22, 2016
OLUJOSHINS:

ile lo lo tararaa

cheesy cheesy
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by FabioPeter: 4:44am On Jan 22, 2016
Culture defines us and should be respected. however, culture must evolve, if indeed it it's centred around people it must respect and value the sanctity of life.
These festivals that could involve extra judicial killing are not uncommon, what beats my imagination is that they exist in city centres such as Epe, Ikorodu etc. We need to condemn this evil culture before it condemns us to the dark ages.
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by aloaye11: 7:09am On Jan 22, 2016
no need of telling u sorry,as u said u were warn n u were aware of that culture. u choose to prove stubborn n u paid dearly for it, if only u were wise u would have obeyed d traditional laws of ur land.
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Nobody: 7:33am On Jan 22, 2016
Wyttcat:
Even AGEMO sef!
That was how one skirt wearing man in full agemo regalia and known very well by my great grandmother as one of the Agemo followers was raining curses about having 7 days to live and all just because he met me at a secluded place, he said I should have stopped and turned my face. I was just looking at him like what the hell is this man saying. He died within 3 months of the encounter, and I'm sure he found out that spirit pass spirit and not to curse an innocent girl.

Ijebu girl, I sight you

1 Like

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by maureen546: 8:18am On Jan 22, 2016
Who is to blame?u ofcourse because is ur father's land ur meant to knw it by now that whenever festival is on u should knw so all fault put on u thanks.
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Threedots(m): 8:18am On Jan 22, 2016
i seriously dont know if the festival should be abolished but i would tell you something i know. I am currently staying around badagry in Lagos State and we've been terrorized by a group of cultists who call themselves 'One Million Boys' They rob, amputate and perform other atrocious acts like making father rape daughter and son sleeping with mother and ever since the police have been unable to do anything.

The Oro people have been able to keep them at bay, in this case they are used as security since the system has failed.

2 Likes

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by DaudaAbu(m): 9:05am On Jan 22, 2016
Donariok:
Koran chapter 10 vs 94 says
''if u have any doubt in this book i have given u, go and read d bible or ask those who read d bible. (meaning muslims should b christains) the Koran says Allah created the world through the word. (same Koran says Jesus is the word of God)
Koran mentioned d name of Jesus 25times while mohammed name was just mentioned 4times. The only woman name written in the Koran is 'mariam' (the mother of jesus) even d chapter 3 of d Koran is named after her. D Koran agreed she went to heaven with her physical body. Meaning the assumption s written in d Koran. Koran said Jesus s still alive while it stated dat mohammed s dead. Koran said Jesus can give life.
So tell me why these muslims dont wanno accept the truth and follow christ?
take this to the religious section but let make somethings clear so you dont misinform this forum.
Get a life. Y are some xtians always ready to drop a line or two about their religion any chance they get? You enter public bus they are there preaching, in the offices,banks in the morning they are preaching, you are sitting down in front of your house they are coming to preach to you yet they would say muslims are the ones looking for trouble.
And stop quoting Quran that you know nothing about because maryam (the mother of jesus) is not chapter 3 but chapter 19! And any muslim that do not believe in the 'prophetship' of jesus is not a complete muslim. Muslims also believe jesus is not dead and is going to come back but his coming back is to deny people like you and tell he is not your lord or saviour! muhammed on the order hand dies naturally just as jesus is going to die when he comes back because the Quran says every breathing soul would experience (taste) death.

1 Like

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Nobody: 9:08am On Jan 22, 2016
ogbanje1:

Why the Igbo moniker when you are obviously yoruba?

Are you saying only yoruba's can contribute wisely in this forum

1 Like

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Nobody: 9:11am On Jan 22, 2016
ogbanje1:

Why the Igbo moniker when you are obviously yoruba?

Why not cancelled your own culture and tradition, instead of telling others to cancelled their? Lost slave of western religion.

2 Likes

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Nobody: 9:22am On Jan 22, 2016
noblegrex:
abeg help me see this one o o. He even said he was warned.so what are you doing here. Must you travel that day.I may not be in support of the ORO. But I'm sure its not everyday thing. Besides, they do inform people. I would have felt for you had you're a stranger or visitor entering the village for the first time coincidentaly.but you're not. You lost your items deliberately. Bare the lost.shikena

grin grin grin
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by 360command: 9:42am On Jan 22, 2016
Echidimeh:
For those of you saying the should cancelled the ORO festival,if they do what then will keep our elders and those villagers busy and entertaining? Why don't you people cancelled Christianity and islam which is non-african?
you are not getting the point, no one has said you should not do ORO but do not do it to the extreme by taking a humans life. That is absurd! Even during the mourning of Jesus, we do not go killing humans.
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Nobody: 10:30am On Jan 22, 2016
dason4life:

So you were even informed but you felt . . . Nothing they happened abi? angry
Thank your God they didn't get hold of you, if it were to be in some places,
they will drag you out even if you had ran under your bed.

Any way, Our Culture most be preserved

After dragging him out, they will kill him?
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Wyttcat: 11:47am On Jan 22, 2016
Hehehe!
tobimillar:

Ijebu girl, I sight you
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Wyttcat: 12:28pm On Jan 22, 2016
I didn't know what those things were until later on.

Hmm! I was not told about any convenant, or maybe I've just forgotten, but around the time my g granny passed away strange things were happening and a book about herbs, their uses and other things handwritten in Yoruba was handed to me by a family member.It was even too difficult to read the cover alone.

One thing is, those things are a big burden to carry around jare! One is not fully here or there. Living in two different worlds can be very tormenting, and I'm still sometimes told to "tap it". I was like tap what, in addition to this, I don't think so! But it has a great advantage especially when used with clean hands and heart. More questions than answers jare!

I'll check my mail.
jomoh:

Damn. What a woman. So dey don soak you well.

Seriously some of those things work for a very long time espectially if you've not broken any of its convenant if it has any. Madarikan has been around for like ages.

Babe seriously I dey PM u.

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by alaskido(m): 4:01pm On Jan 22, 2016
Why are you complaining? It is your village and your tradition. You were born into it. Please bear your loss. After all it is your same kinsmen that took your purse, phone and luggage. You have paid your tithe, shekena.
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by MadCow1: 5:31pm On Jan 22, 2016
henrydadon:
i just realize your name is "mad cow"..i shouldn't have replied u..

Henry,

First of all, It's MadCow1, not Mad Cow.

Secondly, it's a Moniker or a User I.D, not my name.

Thirdly, your post shows that you are a remarkably retarded fhucktard who thinks he knows shirt but is actually a dumbfhuck.

Finally, go fhuck yourself to death.
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by macof(m): 5:55pm On Jan 22, 2016
henrydadon:
idiot do they kill each other during Halloween? am not saying we should condemn our culture and tradition...but plss we should stop killing ourself all in the name of tradition..we should take a cue from Asian country's...they have come a long way in modernising their culture and tradition..

omo ode. why not shut ur mouth and turn on ur brain?
what member of your family has ever been killed for culture sake?

1 Like

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by henrydadon(m): 6:17pm On Jan 22, 2016
MadCow1:

Henry,

First of all, It's MadCow1, not Mad Cow.

Secondly, it's a Moniker or a User I.D, not my name.

Thirdly, your post shows that you are a remarkably retarded fhucktard who thinks he knows shirt but is actually a dumbfhuck.

Finally, go fhuck yourself to death.
what point are u trying to prove now..it doesn't change the fact that that u are still a mad cow
..Idiot
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by macof(m): 6:44pm On Jan 22, 2016
ogbanje1:
Backward, primitive, rustic barbarians.

giving us a description of your miserable family?

1 Like

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by macof(m): 7:10pm On Jan 22, 2016
Threedots:
i seriously dont know if the festival should be abolished but i would tell you something i know. I am currently staying around badagry in Lagos State and we've been terrorized by a group of cultists who call themselves 'One Million Boys' They rob, amputate and perform other atrocious acts like making father rape daughter and son sleeping with mother and ever since the police have been unable to do anything.

The Oro people have been able to keep them at bay, in this case they are used as security since the system has failed.

Exactly! this is the duty of Oro, in pre colonial Yorubaland they were like the modern security service.

and some fools want yorubas to abolish Oro? Esu punish dem morons

4 Likes

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by jomoh: 9:49pm On Jan 22, 2016
Wyttcat:
I didn't know what those things were until later on.

Hmm! I was not told about any convenant, or maybe I've just forgotten, but around the time my g granny passed away strange things were happening and a book about herbs, their uses and other things handwritten in Yoruba was handed to me by a family member.It was even too difficult to read the cover alone.

One thing is, those things are a big burden to carry around jare! One is not fully here or there. Living in two different worlds can be very tormenting, and I'm still sometimes told to "tap it". I was like tap what, in addition to this, I don't think so! But it has a great advantage especially when used with clean hands and heart. More questions than answers jare!

I'll check my mail.

Its your choice if you feel like carrying it around or not but you just can't imagine the kind of awe am in of that your grandmother.

As in, do you know what most Nigerians go through to break free from spiritual bondages their ancestors left them with? Some even commit suicide when they've tried all they could and couldn't break free.

I go like get you as friend. I no go dey fear fight na grin

You've not replied my mail.
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by ogbanje1(f): 10:55pm On Jan 22, 2016
macof:

giving us a description of your miserable family?
No, your miserable tribe.
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Ahnn: 12:23am On Jan 23, 2016
macof:

u eat shit as a symbol of someone's flesh and blood. then say u don't do cannibalism grin so funny
yea so funny infact im spliting my sides.well,mayb ure the one who supplies the human flesh and blood since u dont know d difference btw bread and human flesh
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Wyttcat: 2:40am On Jan 23, 2016
Actually, it doesn't bother me that much but one has to be disciplined. I have since moved on and developed my own spirituality to the level I'm comfortable with, and it has paid off big time. My g granny was one and the whole town was one, she built a house on igbo o** land, and people thought she was not going to live there but not only did she live there, she would point and say " you see that man going, he's the only one alive among those who said I couldn't build a house here". She passed comfortably at the age of 9*. She was just amazing.

It could affect those that were empty before they were brought in, not emere ponbele like me. I believe there was a transfer of some sort that I've for the most part kept under control. I'm able to suppress it because I grew up in it and I know what the natural progression is, but I don't want that now, I want to enjoy my life and party. Aside that the real world are quick to call anyone they can't figure out a witch. I don't believe in witches, I believe people are gifted spiritually, some use it for good and self defense and others for evil.
I want to drop this topic sha!

I replied your mail about 3 hrs ago

jomoh:

Its your choice if you feel like carrying it around or not but you just can't imagine the kind of awe am in of that your grandmother.

As in, do you know what most Nigerians go through to break free from spiritual bondages their ancestors left them with? Some even commit suicide when they've tried all they could and couldn't break free.

I go like get you as friend. I no go dey fear fight na grin

You've not replied my mail.
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by jomoh: 4:00am On Jan 23, 2016
Wyttcat:

I want to drop this topic sha!

I replied your mail about 3 hrs ago

I must be having issues with my mail delivery cos I surely didn't get it. Do you mind resending it.

Moving unto another thing like your moniker. Wyttcat? Any inspiration for it.
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Wyttcat: 5:28am On Jan 23, 2016
Oh really!

White Cat = Ologbo Funfun

I love cats, they are friendly and harmless. Cat take after their owners and in most cases look like them, check a neighbor with cats, look at his/her face and then look at the cats. They are clean and easy to live with. They can speak your inner language. Your cat can silently alert you of any impending danger. In general kind souls keep cats while the wicked keep dogs. Your level of spirituality depends on the color of your cat. Black cats are more about evil, white cats are the ones that come to the rescue and halt chaos.and can be vicious when needed but never draw the first blood. Black or white cats have nothing to do with the color of we humans, people are from peach to very dark skin color, no human is white.
jomoh:

I must be having issues with my mail delivery cos I surely didn't get it.

Moving unto another thing like your moniker. Wyttcat? Any inspiration for it.
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by jomoh: 7:04am On Jan 23, 2016
Wyttcat:
Oh really!

White Cat = Ologbo Funfun

I love cats, they are friendly and harmless. Cat take after their owners and in most cases look like them, check a neighbor with cats, look at his/her face and then look at the cats. They are clean and easy to live with. They can speak your inner language. Your cat can silently alert you of any impending danger. In general kind souls keep cats while the wicked keep dogs. Your level of spirituality depends on the color of your cat. Black cats are more about evil, white cats are the ones that come to the rescue and halt chaos.and can be vicious when needed but never draw the first blood. Black or white cats have nothing to do with the color of we humans, people are from peach to very dark skin color, no human is white.

Woow. While me I was thinking it could be from your skin colour. It is actually deeeeper I just can't get enough of it. Almost everything about you so far radiates spirituality. I never thought of cats beyond the stereotype of the "devil's instrument".

Any chance you have a missing cat, cos I have one that lurks around my compound. grin I don't know if its stalking me or what but it is mostly seen on fences behind my room. I remember a time I was praying in the night and I saw it on my fence looking straight into my eyes.

I like their meek demeanour but I fear them for the fact that they can be spiritually manipulated for evil intentions.

Seems the mail thing is not going, can we do a whatsapp? I can drop mine. You won't need to drop urs.
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Wyttcat: 8:21am On Jan 23, 2016
Nay, My skin is copper. Life is full of surprises, haha!
Cats aura is one of the reasons they are choice pets for those that know.

And no, I'm not missing any, mine are accounted for grin thanks! It could just be a stray cat though. Nothing to be afraid of it's probably abandoned and looking for food.

How do you know I'm on whatsapp? We could, but I would love to find out if you are who I think you are first. What city are you in? You see, some people have taken what happens here on nairaland to a different level by trying to hack into my email. They have even called me from nairaland when I never gave out my number. I know some Mods from a section of the country revealed the info to their kinsmen. My sisters and I are playing along until we get enough to nail someone. So, whatsapp will not be such a good idea just yet, but we can do email. If you don't mind, post your email address here, and we can go from there.

Let me be here when you post it so you can take delete it immediately.

jomoh:

Woow. While me I was thinking it could be from your skin colour. It is actually deeeeper I just can't get enough of it. Almost everything about you so far radiates spirituality. I never thought of cats beyond the stereotype of the "devil's instrument".

Any chance you have a missing cat, cos I have one that lurks around my compound. grin I don't know if its stalking me or what but it is mostly seen on fences behind my room. I remember a time I was praying in the night and I saw it on my fence looking straight into my eyes.

I like their meek demeanour but I fear them for the fact that they can be spiritually manipulated for evil intentions.

Seems the mail thing is not going, can we do a whatsapp? I can drop mine. You won't need to drop urs.
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by jomoh: 9:51pm On Jan 23, 2016
Wyttcat:
Nay, My skin is copper. Life is full of surprises, haha!
Cats aura is one of the reasons they are choice pets for those that know.

And no, I'm not missing any, mine are accounted for grin thanks! It could just be a stray cat though. Nothing to be afraid of it's probably abandoned and looking for food.

How do you know I'm on whatsapp? We could, but I would love to find out if you are who I think you are first. What city are you in? You see, some people have taken what happens here on nairaland to a different level by trying to hack into my email. They have even called me from nairaland when I never gave out my number. I know some Mods from a section of the country revealed the info to their kinsmen. My sisters and I are playing along until we get enough to nail someone. So, whatsapp will not be such a good idea just yet, but we can do email. If you don't mind, post your email address here, and we can go from there.

Let me be here when you post it so you can take delete it immediately.

Lol. I think you're right I've seen it couple of times hunting for bush rats on the fences.

Woow. This is some serious allegation here. I've gone through some of your posts and I must say your comments would have made you so many enemies from that section of the country. Contrary to what you think though, am from Ibadan or how else do you think someone from that side will know something like Madarikan.

My mail is still the same as the one I used to send you a PM(omoh4u2nv@yahoo.com. I only have two emails, the one for formal engagements and the one for social media. If you choose to reply I would so much love to do mails. At least start from somewhere then you get to know who I really am.

BTW I should be the one to be weary cos am an old guard on this forum you on the other hand, you're the new cat wink

CIAO
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by MadCow1: 4:03am On Jan 24, 2016
henrydadon:
what point are u trying to prove now..it doesn't change the fact that that u are still a mad cow
..Idiot

There is no way I could possibly be a Mad Cow. So you see how you are actually the real idiot.

Cheapass fhucktard.
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by BenKafor(m): 6:21pm On Jan 25, 2016
You don't know what you are saying, it's not a shitty phone.

MadCow1:

Why did you run?

And what makes you label our customs and traditions that have been passed down from age to age Barbaric?

Yet you will see no problems with the Christian Tradition of Holy Communion that symbolizes Canibalism.

Anyways, the Tecno is a shiity phone..

Your clothes you lost were ugly secondhand baffs.

And you wallet did not contain more than 3'k.

The bandwidth I have spent reading and responding to your thread costs way more than your total loss.

Don't disrespect our culture, customs and tradition ever again.

Now go buy yourself a Good Samsung Phone.
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by macof(m): 7:01pm On Jan 25, 2016
Ahnn:
yea so funny infact im spliting my sides.well,mayb ure the one who supplies the human flesh and blood since u dont know d difference btw bread and human flesh

grin grin morons everywhere. you eat poo as a symbolic substitute for human flesh. ..wat u call that? that's ritual and symbolic cannibalism

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. / Stylish Oluwo Of Iwo Shows Off His Swags As He Strolls With Other Kings In Osun / Masquerade Seen Having A Good Time At A Nightclub In Lagos (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.