Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,771 members, 7,809,973 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:04 PM

How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story (40877 Views)

MURIC Calls For Arrest, Prosecution Of Oro Priests In Ikorodu / How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos / Movement Around Ikorodu Will Be Limited Tomorrow Due To Oro Festival (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Ahnn: 5:40pm On Jan 21, 2016
MadCow1:

Why did you run?

And what makes you label our customs and traditions that have been passed down from age to age Barbaric?

Yet you will see no problems with the Christian Tradition of Holy Communion that symbolizes Canibalism.

Anyways, the Tecno is a shiity phone..

Your clothes you lost were ugly secondhand baffs.

And you wallet did not contain more than 3'k.

The bandwidth I have spent reading and responding to your thread costs way more than your total loss.

Don't disrespect our culture, customs and tradition ever again.

Now go buy yourself a Good Samsung Phone.
how is taking the holy communion canibalism.please dont mock God b4 he turns your daylight in2 utter darkness
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Ahnn: 5:42pm On Jan 21, 2016
henrydadon:
i just realize your name is "mad cow"..i shouldn't have replied u..
lol i also shouldnt have replied him
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by yapapa: 5:44pm On Jan 21, 2016
247notire:
Well, typical of many yorubas. Too fearful even when thrs nothing to be afraid of. For ur own hometown u dey fear dey run like person wey thief. Abeg u deserve to lose evrytin u lost. Next tym be more courageous... Oni iranu oshi angry
u ppl sha lack sense of reasoning.. wetin concern Yoruba with your thrash? u well?
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by daphid25(m): 5:44pm On Jan 21, 2016
Lmao!!! Na Oro carry your Phantom5
Oro sef sabi better thing grin

2 Likes

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by cybriz82(m): 5:45pm On Jan 21, 2016
Is mozambique villiage near london behind ajegunle fence u will see 1 street dat lead to togo stop n look ahead u will see d villiage.d name is mozambique villiage.next time wen dem tell am 4pm he go run enter b4 12pm.
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by adekayo1234(m): 5:46pm On Jan 21, 2016
MadCow1:

Why did you run?

And what makes you label our customs and traditions that have been passed down from age to age Barbaric?

Yet you will see no problems with the Christian Tradition of Holy Communion that symbolizes Canibalism.

Anyways, the Tecno is a shiity phone..

Your clothes you lost were ugly secondhand baffs.

And you wallet did not contain more than 3'k.

The bandwidth I have spent reading and responding to your thread costs way more than your total loss.

Don't disrespect our culture, customs and tradition ever again.

Now go buy yourself a Good Samsung Phone.
grin grin wicked
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Godsproxy: 5:47pm On Jan 21, 2016
I had a similar encounter but GOd saved me

1 Like

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Nobody: 5:47pm On Jan 21, 2016
9jacrip:
Oro, egungun, odun ifa, odun ogun, sango and the festival of all our deities will continue.

If it is barbaric and evil to you, relocate elsewhere, this is Yoruba land for Yoruba people and the culture and practices.

Your story says Oro of 4PM, apparently it wasn't the strict Oro, it must have been a town ritual which wouldn't have caused you any harm considering you are from the town and travelled down; so stop with the fuckery. Get your father or granny to go to the palace, your items will be returned. Nobody steals or keeps someone else's item during a procession, it is an eewo. So your items are retrievable.

Lastly, the name of village is?

No wonder some SW States and even their communities are not developed.....

I'm happy where I stay, they don't such rubbish
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by missKiffy(f): 5:47pm On Jan 21, 2016
Yungbitz:

Barbaric you might say,but there exist even more barbaric and insane act in churches...Religion is the worse form of Insanity mankind has faced Christianity and Islam inclusive..for over a week now,a group of self Proclaimed Religious bigots have been putting death to my sleep for about 2hours per nite starting from 11 or 12pm ..they sing and chant hoping to bring God to their plight..pathetic
Sorry cheesy I know that feeling
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Wolfbrother(m): 5:47pm On Jan 21, 2016
Its 2016 , while the rest of the world is advancing technologically while nigeria is still carrying out barbaric practices . we have a long way to go and we are so very far behind

http://time.com/4115398/best-inventions-2015/

1 Like

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by OlujobaSamuel: 5:52pm On Jan 21, 2016
DoctorTim:
I served in ogbomosho. Oro festival is done in ogbomosho. I worked at the general hospital and virtually every body in the town knew me. One night I was on call and was driving back to the hospital. I met them at the junction of the hospital. I couldn't even speak Yoruba. They came at my car and ordered[sup][/sup] me out. Soon as they saw me one of the masqueraders prostrated and shouted Dokita mii oh. Then every body started hailing me. They gave me a big alley way and sang songs of praises for me. I smiled and drove as fast as I could to the ER.
Oro dey fear face cos the dude with the masquerade costume was my patient. And I catered to his wife when she was to deliver.
I was an ogbomosho hero. That's my adopted home since then.
End of my story
those are the oro boys dem. oro will walk alone or with agba awo
except you are a chief in the community, they will never let you go that night even if you are a son of the land. They will interrogate you and discover your mission before letting you go which wont be that night.
You are lucky then if your story is true, but na oro wey dey catch goat. Next time, pls avoid that call, it's either you shift your duty to night if you hear of oro announcement or you don't honour any.
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by danbrowndmf(m): 5:53pm On Jan 21, 2016
Amusaopeyemi:
Dokita of life. Lol wink
check ur mention...u got a mention from me..
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Goridoe(m): 5:54pm On Jan 21, 2016
[size=14pt]i guess OP is using granpa's techno now to keep us informed..

btw, nice relay race there tho lipsrsealed

dont lemme talk tumuch, before dem come ban 'em broda AGAIN[/size] grin
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by ALVA001: 5:54pm On Jan 21, 2016
[b][/b]
Oladipupo22:
I am writing this on a very sad note... sad angry angry angry

I was in the village this past weekend to spend few days with my extended family and to my utmost surprise, I was informed that there is an existing "oro festival" going on, and that I must make it indoors by 4pm to say the least.

Coincidentally, I got to the village by 4:35pm all looking empty and deserted like a grave yard. Out of intuition, I decided to start looking ahead of me before I walk down any path.

Three paths away from my Father's House, I discovered the procession was just ahead of me, I ran for my dear life. Three things happened to me while I was running for my dear life:
1. I misplaced my phone, a massive Tecno Phantom 5 cry cry
2. I misplaced my wallet
3. I had to forgo my luggaes which they now have in their possession ( Luckily, I had ONLY new wears I've not even tested in it).

Now, here's my grouse with this evil, barbaric, satanic and extinct act: After loosing my phone which I had used to take beautiful pictures because of its picture quality and suave, my games are also gone, Is this ORO of a thing supposed to be continued in this time and age?

My money is also gone! I will so miss my phone because of its become my perfect companion
cry cry cry

PS: For the non-Yorubas who don't know what an oro festival is, it is basically a festival celebrated in Yoruba lands either after the death of an Oba or a special atonement is to be made in the land and it involves sacrificing Humans!
[b]
Oladipupo22:

I was in the village this past weekend to spend few days with my extended family and to my utmost surprise, I was informed that there is an existing "oro festival" going on, and that I must make it indoors by 4pm to say the least.

Coincidentally, I got to the village by 4:35pm all looking empty and deserted like a grave yard. Out of intuition, I decided to start looking ahead of me before I walk down any path.

Three paths away from my Father's House, I discovered the procession was just ahead of me, I ran for my dear life. Three things happened to me while I was running for my dear life:
2. I misplaced my wallet
3. I had to forgo my luggaes which they now have in their possession ( Luckily, I had ONLY new wears I've not even tested in it).

Now, here's my grouse with this evil, barbaric, satanic and extinct act: After loosing my phone which I had used to take beautiful pictures because of its picture quality and suave, my games are also gone, Is this ORO of a thing supposed to be continued in this time and age?

My money is also gone! I will so miss my phone because of its become my perfect companion
cry cry cry

PS: For the non-Yorubas who don't know what an oro festival is, it is basically a festival celebrated in Yoruba lands either after the death of an Oba or a special atonement is to be made in the land and it involves sacrificing Humans!
[/b]
Oladipupo22:

2. I misplaced my wallet

cry cry cry

@ d question,good point. why not wait and discuss it wt em.
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by vault(m): 5:58pm On Jan 21, 2016
Pele broda grin
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Yungbitz(m): 6:01pm On Jan 21, 2016
missKiffy:

Sorry cheesy I know that feeling
I totally support Taxation for Religious Bodies..that is the only way to stems this tide of Proliferation
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by iamKeo(m): 6:08pm On Jan 21, 2016
Stories that touches the....
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Hero10001: 6:10pm On Jan 21, 2016
Op is a fvcking liar!
ORO doensn't kill son of the soil males.
The oro won't hurt you, if they wanted you for rituals, your brains won't be enough to save you.
You ran away like a mad dog cos you're ignorant and naive.
Even oro would be like wtf!

5 Likes

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by noblegrex: 6:15pm On Jan 21, 2016
dason4life:

So you were even informed but you felt . . . Nothing they happened abi? angry
Thank your God they didn't get hold of you, if it were to be in some places,
they will drag you out even if you had ran under your bed.

Any way, Our Culture most be preserved
abeg help me see this one o o. He even said he was warned.so what are you doing here. Must you travel that day.I may not be in support of the ORO. But I'm sure its not everyday thing. Besides, they do inform people. I would have felt for you had you're a stranger or visitor entering the village for the first time coincidentaly.but you're not. You lost your items deliberately. Bare the lost.shikena

2 Likes

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by akigbemaru: 6:15pm On Jan 21, 2016
cloned baby.
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by simpleseyi: 6:19pm On Jan 21, 2016
Donariok:
Koran chapter 10 vs 94 says
''if u have any doubt in this book i have given u, go and read d bible or ask those who read d bible. (meaning muslims should b christains) the Koran says Allah created the world through the word. (same Koran says Jesus is the word of God)
Koran mentioned d name of Jesus 25times while mohammed name was just mentioned 4times. The only woman name written in the Koran is 'mariam' (the mother of jesus) even d chapter 3 of d Koran is named after her. D Koran agreed she went to heaven with her physical body. Meaning the assumption s written in d Koran. Koran said Jesus s still alive while it stated dat mohammed s dead. Koran said Jesus can give life.
So tell me why these muslims dont wanno accept the truth and follow christ?

My very good brother from another mother, I can see that you love the Koran but hate Muslims and Islam just like me, I love money but I hate the ATM. Get out of here. The same way you people twisted the Bible and created divisions and enemity withing the body of Christ such that Catholic parents are disowning their children for marrying Anglicans and RCCG parents are cursing their children for marrying Celestials and Cherubims. The Koran cannot be twisted in such manner. So, Go and Die.

5 Likes

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by 247notire(m): 6:23pm On Jan 21, 2016
yapapa:
u ppl sha lack sense of reasoning.. wetin concern Yoruba with your thrash? u well?
I'm a Lagosian and I will say this any whr anytym and it's not meant to be an insult. Just as igbos like money too much, yorubas are very fearful and are averse to taking risks. This is why many of them end up as never do Wells or as yahoo boys... Some wud call them cowards but that is taking it too far... Now do ur worst bozo!

1 Like

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by gunuvi(m): 6:25pm On Jan 21, 2016
OlujobaSamuel:

those are the oro boys dem. oro will walk alone or with agba awo
except you are a chief in the community, they will never let you go that night even if you are a son of the land. They will interrogate you and discover your mission before letting you go which wont be that night.
You are lucky then if your story is true, but na oro wey dey catch goat. Next time, pls avoid that call, it's either you shift your duty to night if you hear of oro announcement or you don't honour any.
its a lie. Oro also use their discretion. I am an abore so mind what you say.

1 Like

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by noblegrex: 6:26pm On Jan 21, 2016
simpleseyi:

My very good brother from another mother, I can see that you love the Koran but hate Muslims and Islam just like me, I love money but I hate the ATM. Get out of here. The same way you people twisted the Bible and created divisions and enemity withing the body of Christ such that Catholic parents are disowning their children for marrying Anglicans and RCCG parents are cursing their children for marrying Celestials and Cherubims. The Koran cannot be twisted in such manner. So, Go and Die.
he made a point and back it up with a proof.koran chp 10 v 94. You don't just argue like that. Prove him wrong. Not to abuse him.true or false. Are you not reading the koran?

1 Like

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jan 21, 2016
No one sacrifices humans anymore. cool cool cool cool
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by AjaniDWickedBoy(m): 6:32pm On Jan 21, 2016
Donariok:
Koran chapter 10 vs 94 says
''if u have any doubt in this book i have given u, go and read d bible or ask those who read d bible. (meaning muslims should b christains) the Koran says Allah created the world through the word. (same Koran says Jesus is the word of God)
Koran mentioned d name of Jesus 25times while mohammed name was just mentioned 4times. The only woman name written in the Koran is 'mariam' (the mother of jesus) even d chapter 3 of d Koran is named after her. D Koran agreed she went to heaven with her physical body. Meaning the assumption s written in d Koran. Koran said Jesus s still alive while it stated dat mohammed s dead. Koran said Jesus can give life.
So tell me why these muslims dont wanno accept the truth and follow christ?

The most foolish being have ever come across on NL.... what does that thread got to do with Muslims? undecided religion bigot

1 Like

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Gkemz: 6:41pm On Jan 21, 2016
osedvgirl:
shocked it was out of fear you misplaced your phone, your wallet and luggage s; and you were warned o, sorry, ndo

Seems like ur heartless. I wonder the kind of woman you are.
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by JuanDeDios: 6:43pm On Jan 21, 2016
Echidimeh:
For those of you saying the should cancelled the ORO festival,if they do what then will keep our elders and those villagers busy and entertaining? Why don't you people cancelled Christianity and islam which is non-african?
Your post makes no sense. Just saying.
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by JuanDeDios: 6:47pm On Jan 21, 2016
StPete:
The bitter truth is CHRISTIANITY and ISLAM are foreign religions to us Africans.

Oro is a Yoruba tradition, practiced in a Yoruba community so it is allowed.

My only grouse with the practice is that it should be done at the dead of the night without hitherto affecting the free movement of people especially those coming from their various work places.
So ritual murder is cool if (1) done by Yoruba's (2) done in the dead of night. OK.
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by nekaa(f): 6:48pm On Jan 21, 2016
@oladipupo22 that means oba dies in ode remo every year, which is technically not possible.
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by StPete: 6:52pm On Jan 21, 2016
JuanDeDios:

So ritual murder is cool if (1) done by Yoruba's (2) done in the dead of night. OK.

What is dis one saying? Which culture or religion openly supports ritual killings? Or did u hear me mention killing in my post?

2 Likes

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by BustScam: 7:13pm On Jan 21, 2016
OP Sorry

I understand what you went through clearly

How I wish I was there to pick up that Phantom 5 sha cry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. / Stylish Oluwo Of Iwo Shows Off His Swags As He Strolls With Other Kings In Osun / Masquerade Seen Having A Good Time At A Nightclub In Lagos (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.