Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,149 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:26 AM

A Night Of Darkness And The Law Of Karma by Femi Fani-kayode - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Night Of Darkness And The Law Of Karma by Femi Fani-kayode (18892 Views)

Femi Fani-Kayode Calls Hameed Ali "Ugly Little Monkey" (Snapshot) / "Karma Caught Up With Obama" - Fani-Kayode / Lagosians Groan Over Darkness And Fuel Scarcity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Night Of Darkness And The Law Of Karma by Femi Fani-kayode by byteHead(m): 4:51am On Jan 27, 2016
Given the fact that we are still commemorating the fifty year anniversary of the January 15th 1966 coup I have decided to write a follow-up essay to last week’s column. It is interesting to note the fact that virtually every single one of those that actually carried out the killings and pulled the triggers during the course of that horrendous night of slaughter met a terrible end themselves.

This is a fulfillment of the scripture that says ‘’he who lives by the sword shall die by the sword’’ and we must all learn from it. Shedding innocent blood is an expensive business and drawing the first blood in any conflict always comes with a very heavy price. In secular circles this is known as the ‘’law of karma’’ but in spiritual ones it is called ‘’the law of reaping and sowing’’.

Nothing reflects this principle better than what happened to those that actually murdered others (as opposed to those that simply participated) during the course of Nigeria’s first military coup on the night of January 15th 1966. The facts are as follows.

Major Emmanuel Ifeajuna, who was the leader of the coup, went to the home of Brigadier Zakariya Maimalari (who was the Commanding Officer of the Second Brigade) and personally shot him. This was despite the fact that he was one of his most trusted officers and confidantes and despite the fact that earlier that evening he had attended a cocktail party in his house.

After killing Maimalari, Ifeajuna went to Ikoyi Hotel, where Lt. Col. Abogo Largema, who was the Commander of the Fourth Battalion in Ibadan, was staying and he personally shot and killed him too.

After that both he and Major Donatus Okafor, another of the mutineers, abducted Sir Tafawa Balewa, the Prime Minister, from his home and took him to the Officers Mess at Dodan Barracks.

Once it was clear to them that the coup was unraveling they fled from Dodan Barracks, drove to the Lagos Abeokuta road, shot the Prime Minister and then dumped his body in a bush.

The Special Branch reports show that both Ifeajuna and Major Okafor shot Tafawa Balewa at point blank range in the head and body.

Yet their end was no better. Ifeajuna, after fleeing to Ghana after the failure of the coup, returned back to Nigeria the following year to fight for Biafra during the civil war.

He was later accused of plotting a coup to remove Colonel Emeka Ojukwu as Head of State of Biafra and he was executed on Ojukwu’s orders after being court martialled. Major Okafor’s end was even worse. He was locked up in Abeokuta prison after the coup failed because he was unable to escape.

Six months later, on July 29th 1966 during the northern revenge coup, he was dragged out of his cell and buried alive by northern soldiers.

Major Anufuro, who in my view was the most bloodthirsty and brutal of all the mutineers, personally shot and killed four people in Lagos on the night of January 15th 1966. He went to the homes of Colonel Kur Mohammed, the Chief of Army Staff, and Lt. Col. Arthur Unegbe, the Army Quarter-Master General, both of whom lived in Apapa GRA and shot them both to death in front of their families.

After that he went to Dodan Barracks where some of the other mutineers, led by Major Humphrey Chukwuka, had forcefully taken Lt. Col. James Pam, the Adjutant General of the Nigerian Army, and Chief Festus Okotie- Eboh, the Minister of Finance.

As the coup started unraveling   Anufuro fled Dodan Barracks and took Lt. Col. Pam and Chief Okotie Eboh with him. As he drove further into Ikoyi he stopped the convoy of vehicles, parked his car and told Pam and Okotie-Eboh to step down.

As they did so he shot them both at close range, put their bodies in the same Bedford truck that the bodies of Col. Kur Mohammed and Lt. Col. Arthur Unegbe had earlier been dumped and drove to the meeting point at the Lagos Abeokuta road.

On arrival at the meeting point Anufuro and his men proceeded to remove the four bodies from the Bedford truck and as they did so they discovered that Okotie-Eboh was still alive though badly wounded.

Anufuro asked the Minister to walk into the bush and as he did so he shot him in the back of the head. After that the four bodies were dumped into a shallow grave and the mutineers fled.

Major Anuforo’s end was as bad as the end of those he murdered, if not worse. After the failure of the coup he was captured and locked up in Benin prison. Six months later, after the northern revenge coup of July 29th 1966, northern soldiers discovered that he was locked up in Benin.

They promptly stormed the prison, found him in his cell, dragged him out and beheaded him. Given the fact that Anufuro had been so heartless on the night of January 15th I am not surprised by the brutality of the Federal troops.

Major Timothy Onwuatuegwu was one of those that led the Kaduna operation of the mutiny. He went to the home of Colonel Ralph Shodeinde, the Deputy Commandant of the Nigerian Military Training College, and he personally shot him to death. He also wounded his wife.

After that he went to the home of Brigadier Samuel Ademulegun, the Commandant of the First Brigade, burst into his bedroom and personally shot him and his eight month pregnant wife to death with a machine gun.

Onwuatuegwu’s end was no better than that of those that he murdered on the night of January 15th 1966. He was captured and locked up after the failure of the coup. During the civil war, which started one year later, he fought on the Biafran side.

A few days after the end of the war he was lured into a hotel room in the east by a group of men and women for a meeting where he was murdered in the most gruesome manner.

I will not give details of how he was killed here because they are far too gruesome for publication. Little did Onwuatuegwu know that the men and women that had invited him into the hotel room were working for the Nigerian secret service and that they were in the company of Federal troops.

What an irony it is that he had killed others in the presence of their wives whilst he himself was killed in the presence of strange women.

Major Kaduna Nzeogwu, the leader of the mutiny in the northern part of the country, stormed the home of Sir Ahmadu Bello, the Saurdana of Sokoto and the Premier of the North, in Kaduna on the night of the coup.

He personally shot the Saurdana, his wife (whose name was Habsetu) and his traditional bodyguard (whose name was Zarumi) and who had fought back with a sword. After the coup failed Nzeogwu was captured and locked up.

He fought on the side of Biafra during the civil war but he was badly wounded and eventually killed in the Nsukka sector whilst he was on a reconnaissance night mission by Federal troops.

Captain Emmanuel Nwobosi led the Ibadan axis of the mutiny that took place on the night of January 15th 1966. He led his soldiers to our house and he took my father, Chief Remilekun Fani-Kayode, the Balogun of Ife and the Deputy Premier of the West, away.

I witnessed the whole affair and the abduction and, as I wrote in this column last week, it was frightful and horrific. After leaving our house Nwobosi led his soldiers to the home of my uncle, Chief S.L. Akintola, the Aare Kakanfo of the Yoruba and the Premier of the West.

When they got there Chief Akintola resisted arrest and there was a one hour long gun battle. After his ammunition ran out Akintola stepped out of his house and he was shot by virtually every single one of the soldiers as he did so.

This was because two of them had been badly wounded by Akintola and his policemen during the course of the gunfight. The first was a soldier by the name of James, who had his fingers blown off, and the second was a soldier whose name was not recorded but who screamed very loudly after his ear was blown off.

Interestingly of all the officers that personally shot anyone that night it is only Nwobosi that remains alive. He fought for Biafra during the civil war and after the war he was given a very key position in the Guyanese army.

After serving for a number of years there he left Guyana and went to live in Canada for many years. He has since returned to Nigeria and he now lives in Onitsha.

His end has not yet come but I have little doubt that he is still haunted by the innocent blood that he shed that night even if he finds it difficult to admit it.

I wholeheartedly condemn his actions that night and I still mourn my dear uncle S.L. Akintola and all the other innocent souls that were killed that night yet I do not judge him or any of the other mutineers.

It is God alone that can judge us for our actions and inactions and I harbor no hate, bitterness or malice for those that abducted and murdered our fathers, leaders and heroes on the night of January 15th 1966. I simply leave them to God.

I will say though that I find it instructive that every single one of those that actually pulled the trigger and killed their victims during the course of the operation and that participated in the heartless orgy of violence and slaughter that took place that night, with the exception of Nwobosi, ended in a terrible way.

Of the eight majors and one captain (Captain Ogbo Oji) that were the ringleaders of the coup it is interesting to note that only Major Chukwuka and Major Ademoyega never killed anyone during the course of the operation.

They participated fully in the mutiny, they terrorized and abducted people from their homes but history records that they didn’t actually kill anyone or pull the trigger themselves at any time. The two fought on the Biafran side during the civil war, under Lt. Col. Victor Banjo, and they not only survived the war but they also lived for many years thereafter.

Ademoyega died in 2005 whilst Chukwuka is still alive and lives in the east. I have little doubt that they would both have shared the same miserable fate of their co-conspirators and fellow mutineers and they would both been also cut short if they had personally shed innocent blood on the night of January 15th 1966 as well.

http://leadership.ng/features/495421/night-darkness-law-karma

25 Likes 7 Shares

Re: A Night Of Darkness And The Law Of Karma by Femi Fani-kayode by LEOSIRSIR(m): 4:52am On Jan 27, 2016
Will come back to commentcomment
FTC the land is green
Dedicate it to you bruh bukson2

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Night Of Darkness And The Law Of Karma by Femi Fani-kayode by Nobody: 4:59am On Jan 27, 2016
undecided nice

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Night Of Darkness And The Law Of Karma by Femi Fani-kayode by Nobody: 5:08am On Jan 27, 2016
nice write up
sowing and reaping in action
so what will happen to bubu obj shekau?
this aint always about sowing and reaping
nice article though

5 Likes

Re: A Night Of Darkness And The Law Of Karma by Femi Fani-kayode by Ameanux(m): 5:24am On Jan 27, 2016
This man is always high on weed

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Night Of Darkness And The Law Of Karma by Femi Fani-kayode by Pavarottii(m): 5:38am On Jan 27, 2016
Nice info. Clearing out some air, for the youths that don't have such information.

FFK cool

15 Likes

Re: A Night Of Darkness And The Law Of Karma by Femi Fani-kayode by jordyspices: 5:45am On Jan 27, 2016
I hope dey teach my children all dese in history class cos is very important dey know

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Night Of Darkness And The Law Of Karma by Femi Fani-kayode by VcStunner(m): 5:47am On Jan 27, 2016
Ameanux:
I wish you had an idea how much you needed the info he just dropped. You don't get those details in a tiny current affairs leaflet. Grow up son.

60 Likes 5 Shares

Re: A Night Of Darkness And The Law Of Karma by Femi Fani-kayode by Daintelectual(m): 5:47am On Jan 27, 2016
Lovely

2 Likes

Re: A Night Of Darkness And The Law Of Karma by Femi Fani-kayode by Nobody: 5:57am On Jan 27, 2016
I have stop chatting with girls that have rat in their names..

BasiRAT hajaRAT sukuRAT mansuRAT muniRAT kudiRAT kubuRAT mistuRAT amiRAT kabiRAT etc,, because of lassa fever

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Night Of Darkness And The Law Of Karma by Femi Fani-kayode by Daintelectual(m): 6:01am On Jan 27, 2016
Ameanux:
You must not exhibit hate all the time... if he is always high on weed then I guess the weed he takes is a good one cos it gives him a writing ability! I hereby recommend the same weed to you maybe it will help you comment better!

48 Likes 5 Shares

Re: A Night Of Darkness And The Law Of Karma by Femi Fani-kayode by Lushore1: 6:11am On Jan 27, 2016
Well done FFK, this is one the reason I want History to be taught in school. We definitely need to learn from our past.

9 Likes

Re: A Night Of Darkness And The Law Of Karma by Femi Fani-kayode by palladin: 6:20am On Jan 27, 2016
#Parks Ferrari
Waits for comments.
Re: A Night Of Darkness And The Law Of Karma by Femi Fani-kayode by Nobody: 6:29am On Jan 27, 2016
Very well written. But I will add a postscript. Murtala led the revenge coup which was equally bloody. Beyond that he supervised the gruesome killing of innocent people in Asaba during the civil war. Kama designed a gruesome end that matched his capacity for violent deeds. But let us not deceive ourselves. The punishment from kama doesn't have to be here on earth. It might have to be hereafter. So other evil people even though alive and apparently well will face their recompense. ''Adamantine stands the law of nature'' what ever you sow, that you will surely reap. This applies equally to all the evil people on both the biafran or Nigerian side.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Night Of Darkness And The Law Of Karma by Femi Fani-kayode by fagbalex(m): 6:59am On Jan 27, 2016
Hmmmmmm Biafrans be like what is wrong with FFk again. Is he not supporting our course again ni, seems Buhari don give am money. But this is just a plain truth nna.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Night Of Darkness And The Law Of Karma by Femi Fani-kayode by ritababe(f): 7:06am On Jan 27, 2016
fagbalex:
Hmmmmmm Biafrans be like what is wrong with FFk again. Is he not supporting our course again ni, seems Buhari don give am money. But this is just a plain truth nna.

the crystal truth

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Night Of Darkness And The Law Of Karma by Femi Fani-kayode by Nobody: 7:28am On Jan 27, 2016
fagbalex:

FFK told the other side of the story which helps to form a complete whole. Any reasonable Biafran will agree that FFK has done the right thing. The problem is when Biafrans are criticized for telling their own stories just like FFK has done.

10 Likes

Re: A Night Of Darkness And The Law Of Karma by Femi Fani-kayode by great664(m): 7:46am On Jan 27, 2016
fagbalex:

****, now that he didn't support Biafra he is now a truthful person abey. That's show you are ****

Hope you wont complain when he write truth against Yoruba too

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Night Of Darkness And The Law Of Karma by Femi Fani-kayode by OLADD: 8:09am On Jan 27, 2016
In summary, those using their office(s) to witchhunt today would one day become the witchhunted.

5 Likes

Re: A Night Of Darkness And The Law Of Karma by Femi Fani-kayode by Smellymouth: 8:15am On Jan 27, 2016
grin when will this man have sense undecided

1 Like

Re: A Night Of Darkness And The Law Of Karma by Femi Fani-kayode by anigbajumo(m): 8:15am On Jan 27, 2016
Waten dis man wan yern again abeg??
Re: A Night Of Darkness And The Law Of Karma by Femi Fani-kayode by Ola17: 8:17am On Jan 27, 2016
To be honest I don't know what to comment. Probably I should've read the article first before rushing to book space.

Nice one FFK.

1 Like

Re: A Night Of Darkness And The Law Of Karma by Femi Fani-kayode by kennyman2000(m): 8:17am On Jan 27, 2016
Hmmmm
Re: A Night Of Darkness And The Law Of Karma by Femi Fani-kayode by Smellymouth: 8:17am On Jan 27, 2016
anigbajumo:
;As
SS grin
Re: A Night Of Darkness And The Law Of Karma by Femi Fani-kayode by Nobody: 8:17am On Jan 27, 2016
ok
Re: A Night Of Darkness And The Law Of Karma by Femi Fani-kayode by demarc001: 8:17am On Jan 27, 2016
I pity you
Re: A Night Of Darkness And The Law Of Karma by Femi Fani-kayode by Aare2050(m): 8:18am On Jan 27, 2016
DonDemu:
I have stop chatting with girls that have rat in their names..

BasiRAT hajaRAT sukuRAT mansuRAT muniRAT kudiRAT kubuRAT mistuRAT amiRAT kabiRAT etc,, because of lassa fever

receive sense bro
in Jesus name.
amen

9 Likes

Re: A Night Of Darkness And The Law Of Karma by Femi Fani-kayode by danielmichael(m): 8:18am On Jan 27, 2016
k
Re: A Night Of Darkness And The Law Of Karma by Femi Fani-kayode by kulobyno: 8:18am On Jan 27, 2016
H
Re: A Night Of Darkness And The Law Of Karma by Femi Fani-kayode by joseph1832(m): 8:19am On Jan 27, 2016
FFK will always say what he doesn't know about, what does one expect from an avid follower of the PDP.

We might even ask him what happened to Major Adewale Ademoyega, because I know for a fact that he survived the coup, fought the civil war and even went ahead and wrote a book titled "Why We Struck".

Just how did FFK come to conclusion that Major Ifeajuna who whoever he named was the head of the coup? Kai! See nonsense wey dis man write for here, to even taint the name of Nzeogwu that he was captured is just nonsense.

I've come to realized that many who write about this civil war don't always get their facts straight! They always twist it. I'll even tell FFK to go and read Adewale Ademoyega's book so his head can be clear about the happenings of the coup because he Major Adewale was among the coup plotters.

Arrant Nonsense!.

6 Likes

Re: A Night Of Darkness And The Law Of Karma by Femi Fani-kayode by omenka(m): 8:21am On Jan 27, 2016
Lmao!! cheesy

He's gradually withdrawing from the far left and drifting towards the center. Very soon, he would arrive at far right and complete what I'd like to call The Political Cycle of FFK!!

Trust me, those guys who have been looking up to him as their hero since Baba was sworn in with his scathing criticism borne out of nothing but sheer frustration at the loss of his free meal tickets would start observing him with some dash of cynicism. cheesy

FFK, ride on! grin

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Rotimi Amaechi, Hadiza Bala Usman And Other At The NPA Headoffice In Lagos. Pics / IPOB: A Delusion Taken Too Far - Charles Ibekwe / Fashola: Why Lagos-Badagry Expressway Is Yet To Be Fixed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.