Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,817 members, 7,813,696 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:30 PM

Nigerians React After The Economist Tagged GEJ As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians React After The Economist Tagged GEJ As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" (48348 Views)

Tolu Ogunlesi: "I Didn't Write The Economist 'Ineffectual Buffoon' Article" / ''Tolu Ogunlesi Wrote "The Economist" Article Calling GEJ ineffectual Buffoon'' / THE ECONOMIST Tags Jonathan As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians React After The Economist Tagged GEJ As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by MeloGistDotCom: 11:10pm On Jan 28, 2016
The Economist, an English-language weekly newspaper owned by the Economist Group, has described Nigeria’s former president Goodluck Jonathan as “an ineffectual buffoon”. See The Topic Here https://www.nairaland.com/2897876/economist-tag-goodluck-jonathan-ineffectual

In an article titled “Nigeria’s economy Crude tactics”, the newspaper said:

Buhari’s government has cracked down on corruption, which had flourished under the previous president, Goodluck Jonathan, an ineffectual buffoon who let politicians and their cronies fill their pockets with impunity.”

Below is the full article. Meanwhile, Nigerians have taken to Twitter to show their disapproval of that statement.

“MORE than 30 years ago, a young general swept to power in the fifth of Nigeria’s military coups since independence in 1960.

The country he inherited was a mess: bled dry by pilfering politicians within and hammered by falling oil prices without. Last year that general, Muhammadu Buhari, became president again—this time in a democratic vote. The problems he has inherited are almost identical. So are many of his responses.

In the eight months since Mr Buhari arrived at Aso Rock, the presidential digs, the homicidal jihadists of Boko Haram have been pushed back into the bush along Nigeria’s borders. The government has cracked down on corruption, which had flourished under the previous president, Goodluck Jonathan, an ineffectual buffoon who let politicians and their cronies fill their pockets with impunity.

Lai Mohammed, a minister, reckons that just 55 people stole $6.8 billion from the public purse over seven recent years.

Mr Buhari, who—unusually among Nigeria’s political grandees—is said to have just $150,000 and a couple of hundred cattle to his name, abhors such excess.

As military ruler he jailed, fired or forced into retirement thousands of bureaucrats whose fingers had been in the till. This time, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested dozens of bigwigs, including a former national security chief accused of diverting $2.2 billion.

The EFCC has a poor record of securing convictions; but a single treasury account has been introduced to try to stop civil servants siphoning off cash. And agencies which may not be remitting their fair share to the state are having their books trawled by Kemi Adeosun, the finance minister.

Such measures are doubly important because the economy is swooning along with the oil price. The sticky stuff directly accounts for only 10% of GDP, but for 70% of government revenue and almost all of Nigeria’s foreign earnings.

http://www.melogist.com/nigerians-react-after-the-economist-tag-gej-as-an-ineffectual-buffoon/

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians React After The Economist Tagged GEJ As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by MeloGistDotCom: 11:11pm On Jan 28, 2016
Do you think the economist are in the right place to say this?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians React After The Economist Tagged GEJ As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by Bevista: 11:13pm On Jan 28, 2016
The Economist is a highly reputable & internationally read newspaper. They shouldn't be using their platform to address the President of a sovereign nation with such denigrating words. We can excuse petty blogs if they do so, but not the likes of CNN, VOA, The Economist, etc.
---
I detest the former president for how he managed the economy, but those words by a foreign newspaper is way out of line.
---
I am seriously gutted with the Economist. I would cancel my subscription with them immediately if I still had one running.

209 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Nigerians React After The Economist Tagged GEJ As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by ellechrystal(f): 11:15pm On Jan 28, 2016
That's not professional of them. It's sad , but then we never respected him, how do we expect others especially d whites to do so? We should expect more insults on others as well. Am certain buhari will get his someday. I hope those happy now won't complain later.

89 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Nigerians React After The Economist Tagged GEJ As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by Nobody: 11:16pm On Jan 28, 2016
Even though I never like GEJ,this Economist news paper has gone far and we can't take it Useless people Mtcheeew.

59 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians React After The Economist Tagged GEJ As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by Nobody: 11:19pm On Jan 28, 2016
ellechrystal:
That's not professional of them. It's sad , but then we never respected him, how do we expect other especially d white to do so? We should expect more insults on others as well. Am certain buhari will get his someday. I hope those happy now won't complain later.
No sane Nigerian should be happy about this. So stop pointing fingers at APC supporters. Thank you.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians React After The Economist Tagged GEJ As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by ellechrystal(f): 11:24pm On Jan 28, 2016
sameer1212:
No sane Nigerian should be happy about this. So stop pointing fingers at APC supporters. Thank you.
It's OK. I just saw a thread where the same Economist accused buhari of worsening Nigerian"s economy now on nl. N its been taken down. My dear. They did bad. N am not pointing fingers. It's obvious certain persons n really happy. It's their right to b , but shouldn't complain wen it has to do with who they support. That's all

16 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerians React After The Economist Tagged GEJ As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by MeloGistDotCom: 11:25pm On Jan 28, 2016
sameer1212:
Even though I never like GEJ,this Economist news paper has gone far and we can't take it Useless people Mtcheeew.

Seriously they have gone too far by pokenosing on nigeria's private issues..

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians React After The Economist Tagged GEJ As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by Progressive01(m): 11:37pm On Jan 28, 2016
Calling that man an Ineffectual Buffoon is an insult to buffoons. He is worse than that quite frankly.

187 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Nigerians React After The Economist Tagged GEJ As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by BoleynDynaSTY(f): 11:44pm On Jan 28, 2016
Unprofessional.what rights do they have to address someone like that?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians React After The Economist Tagged GEJ As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by grandstar(m): 11:51pm On Jan 28, 2016
Bevista:
The Economist is a highly reputable & internationally read newspaper. They shouldn't be using their platform to address the President of country with such denigrating words.
---
I detest the former president for how he managed the economy, but those words by a foreign newspaper is way out of line.
---
I am seriously gutted with the Economist. I would cancel my subscription with them immediately if I still had one running.

They are my best secular mag. Loved them since I was 18.

Anyway their choice of words is inappropriate and should be retracted.

I suspect the writer snd editor were incensed at the senseless looting of the till under his watch and allowing BH to reign supremely. Though these sins were inexcusable, they do not justify the insult

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians React After The Economist Tagged GEJ As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by coldsummer: 11:54pm On Jan 28, 2016
He's worse than that. Economist were lenient

85 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians React After The Economist Tagged GEJ As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by tobtap: 11:54pm On Jan 28, 2016
ok
Re: Nigerians React After The Economist Tagged GEJ As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by OgbeifunErom: 11:54pm On Jan 28, 2016
IPOB youths and corruption supporters fighting back

No matter what you do, it does not change the fact that GEJ is a BUFFOON

113 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerians React After The Economist Tagged GEJ As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by coded01: 11:55pm On Jan 28, 2016
While GEJ is enjoying himself...Nigerians are busy fighting each over irrelevant statement...

When will Nigerians become angry at the way these politicians are messing Nigeria up... angry

Little or no Electricity...

Bad Roads...

High level of unemployment...

Pensioners aren't paid...

Ridiculous school fees...

Armed robbery on the rise...

North is still on continuous fire...

Can't continue to be like this...

Cry for Nigeria... embarassed

34 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigerians React After The Economist Tagged GEJ As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by free2blast(m): 11:55pm On Jan 28, 2016
sameer1212:
Are you saying this in ORUBEBE"S voice?

10 Likes

Re: Nigerians React After The Economist Tagged GEJ As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by dipopooo(m): 11:55pm On Jan 28, 2016
shocked

1 Like

Re: Nigerians React After The Economist Tagged GEJ As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by Chukzyfcb(m): 11:55pm On Jan 28, 2016
Those that'll react to this will be divided along PDP & APC line; just observe!

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians React After The Economist Tagged GEJ As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by Mopolchi: 11:55pm On Jan 28, 2016
Na wa. See English. These people wicked. Na APC get that Economist. I am very sure.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians React After The Economist Tagged GEJ As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by bastien: 11:56pm On Jan 28, 2016
Make una dey here dey blame Jonathan, Goodnight

1 Like

Re: Nigerians React After The Economist Tagged GEJ As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by myners007: 11:57pm On Jan 28, 2016
Its not surprising that such statement is coming from the British because they are the most cunning and pretentious set of people in the world today. These same people will extol the virtues of Jonathan when he was in power for their own aggrandizement and insult him publicly when he is out just for the purpose of benefiting from Buhari Administration.
As long as I am concerned Jonathan deserved to be treated well because he was never overzealous to remain in power.
The British/economist Group should put their house in order before castigating others. My Questions for them are listed below:
1. Why was Princess Diana brutally killed without a trace yet not even the Queen nor the British government was labeled as treacherous and murderous buffoon?
2. Who stole away our artifacts during the illegal invasion and massacre of Benin?
3. Why did the British diplomatically hoodwinked USA into World War 2 when it was becoming apparent that they will concede defeat to the Germans led by Hitler?
4.Why will the British regard themselves as one of the world and economic powers when they produce virtually nothinh apert from extorting money from their citizens and other Nationals under the guise of taxation.
5. why cant Prince Charles be allowed to rule if he is competent?
Nigerians please do not be perturbed by their invectives on GEJ. We know them already cos we are better than them.
N.B

So many persons have quoted me for the wrong reason by supporting the humliliating and scandalousb write up against our immediate past president. If a Nigerian paper or group should write anything bad against the Govt of England or the Queen they would have demanded for immediate apology or resorted to the indiscriminate deportation of law abiding Nigeriana living in the UK.
Remember oyr National Pledge for the sake of Patriotism
I PLEDGE to Nigeria My Country
To be FAITHFUL,LOYAL and HONEST
To Serve Nigeria with all my STRENGHT
To DEFEND her UNITY,UPHOLD her( HONOUR) and GLORY
So Help Me God.
I remain loyal and hold nobody any apology on my stands to defend Nigeria. Thank You.

74 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerians React After The Economist Tagged GEJ As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by anigbajumo(m): 11:58pm On Jan 28, 2016
Is not bad at all for their hero,ogogoro drunkard....

"Stealing is not a corruption...... "

Chai,from a president of a country.Infact,he is a certified FOOL for legalized corruption in this country.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians React After The Economist Tagged GEJ As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by Justicealh3(m): 11:59pm On Jan 28, 2016
gringringrin

1 Share

Re: Nigerians React After The Economist Tagged GEJ As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by free2blast(m): 11:59pm On Jan 28, 2016
Watch how the wailing ekpas will be sounding like saints, the same set of E-diots that calls President Buhari all sorts of names everyday. whether you like it or not, your hero is an "INEFFECTUAL BUFFOON" grin

16 Likes

Re: Nigerians React After The Economist Tagged GEJ As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by Mdrill(m): 11:59pm On Jan 28, 2016
Ineffectual Buffoon.

15 Likes

Re: Nigerians React After The Economist Tagged GEJ As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by sukkot: 12:00am On Jan 29, 2016
cheesy
Re: Nigerians React After The Economist Tagged GEJ As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by TippyTop(m): 12:00am On Jan 29, 2016
Imagine a headline like this in future:

Nigerian President is very old and dull--New York Times

Those supporting the economist now should remember we would do the same if the table turns in future.

If you people want to support foreign media ridiculing our leaders, we will oblige you same in future.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians React After The Economist Tagged GEJ As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by NOLONGTIN1(m): 12:00am On Jan 29, 2016
This article is poorly written, the aim of this piece of trash is to insult GEJ.

This isn't Journalism.

Bubu's image is falling, APC sheep clothing is being uncovered by the day hence the need to write this trash (article)

Imagine the Economist saying bubu has only $150,000 and few hundred cattle , that should give everyone a hint of who wrote it.

They also paint GMB like a hero in a American movie - “MORE than 30 years ago, a young general swept to power in the fifth of Nigeria’s military coups since independence in 1960."
The Economist!! Abeg I use Lia Mohammed beg you, don't try to distort history!!
Nigerians celebrated when Bubu was removed same as Abacha. The former was killing our economy and Fela and Co lived in fear, while 43 suitcases where moving in and out of the country.

Abeg Bubu should release his asset declaration publicly, so we can all know how stupendously rich he is, instead of all this crap that was sold to zombies during election campaigns.

Or are there still zombies who belive Bubu is a poor man that has to borrow money to buy 25million form and has 100 cattle and no houses outside Duara?

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians React After The Economist Tagged GEJ As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by Nobody: 12:00am On Jan 29, 2016
They are actually right. Nationals of developed countries don't pretend or fake things like Nigerians do. They tell it as it is.

14 Likes

Re: Nigerians React After The Economist Tagged GEJ As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by Mopolchi: 12:01am On Jan 29, 2016
sukkot:
cheesy
dem don unban you?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Caption This Photo Of Aisha Buhari And Tinubu at The Iftar / Boss Mustapha Hands Over To George Akume (Photos) / Brazilian Returnee Arrested With Cocaine In Private Part

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.