Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:30 AM

Reasons Why Police & Military Shave Their Beards - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reasons Why Police & Military Shave Their Beards (67843 Views)

Police, Military Shoot-out In Yobe / The Nigeria Police, Military & Paramilitary Choir Wish You A Merry Christmas / Kadilo Barina-Kabari Vowed To Never Shave Beards In Rivers Finally Cuts It Off (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reasons Why Police & Military Shave Their Beards by Akaujaa(m): 1:26pm On Apr 07, 2016
I think it's for uniformity of identity. That's all
Re: Reasons Why Police & Military Shave Their Beards by Hysmady(m): 1:26pm On Apr 07, 2016
Virginkpekus:
I think it's probably for the same reason that makes me shave my kpekus!!
lemme see it
Re: Reasons Why Police & Military Shave Their Beards by nopretense: 1:31pm On Apr 07, 2016
IVORY2009:
Reasons, for them to be neat, in carrying out their duties.
are you saying unshaved beards is always untidy? Wat d op is trying to say is that they r not even allowed to leave a 'grain' of hair to grow there. So, if I decide to allow mine to grow in a trimmed nd ordered manner, I'm a dirty man?

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Police & Military Shave Their Beards by kokomilala(m): 1:32pm On Apr 07, 2016
It's norm universal.Clean shavenness represents neatness, smartness, sharpness.The face becomes more defined, and gets it own identity of discipline.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Police & Military Shave Their Beards by Nobody: 1:33pm On Apr 07, 2016
Qyubee:

I bet u've not seen some us special forces guys and military guys in countries like Pakistan etc. These guys keep beards well.
Only in movies, non-active service, grooming beards to blend into an environment or being on active desk-duty. In times of proper war no one keeps beards. Scower the whole of Sambisa, you'd not see any Nigerian soldier sporting beards.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Police & Military Shave Their Beards by dare2differ: 1:34pm On Apr 07, 2016
omolami:
Those are attributes of real men
Mtcheww
Re: Reasons Why Police & Military Shave Their Beards by tolexy007(m): 1:35pm On Apr 07, 2016
so that dey would not look like a Jihadist
Re: Reasons Why Police & Military Shave Their Beards by adex4u2000(m): 1:36pm On Apr 07, 2016
Ƒσя safety perioda A̶̲̥̅̊nƌ̲̣̣̣̥ make them neat
Re: Reasons Why Police & Military Shave Their Beards by doctimi(m): 1:38pm On Apr 07, 2016
They use to leave their beards back then. (confirm from pre-1966 coup military pictures.

However, when Murtala Muhammad was murdered. There was a man hunt for the 'sniper' in person of Suka Buka Dimka. He had beards then, so after the manhunt intensified with various borders locked down, he shaved his beards off in a bid to escape. Unfortunately for him, he was caught. There was argument if he was the actual dimka or not cos of the shaved beards. But the Nigerian Army were not fooled. They nabbed the killer of the best military head of state in the history of the country.

From that point, all military personnel were mandated to scrape their beards sharply and to keep it clean always.

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Police & Military Shave Their Beards by boolet: 1:38pm On Apr 07, 2016
It boils down to history... In the past, the hair of a dead soldier was used to hold his head firmly while his hea gets chopped off. This was rearded as humiating in every regard, hence comes shaving which would pose chopping off heads as a tougher task.
Re: Reasons Why Police & Military Shave Their Beards by IVORY2009(m): 1:38pm On Apr 07, 2016
nopretense:

are you saying unshaved beards is always untidy? Wat d op is trying to say is that they r not even allowed to leave a 'grain' of hair to grow there. So, if I decide to allow mine to grow in a trimmed nd ordered manner, I'm a dirty man?

Not @ all, but its a common practice, when you are shaved, you are seen as been neat!
Re: Reasons Why Police & Military Shave Their Beards by dubemnaija: 1:41pm On Apr 07, 2016
Hysmady:
lemme see it

Gay alert
Re: Reasons Why Police & Military Shave Their Beards by EazyMoh(m): 1:41pm On Apr 07, 2016
omolami:
Those are attributes of real men
So you mean Jesus was not a real man?
Re: Reasons Why Police & Military Shave Their Beards by kissval1388: 1:42pm On Apr 07, 2016
just to diffrenciate your fellow soldiers from Islamic jihadist fighters in the war front.
almost all the jihadist are beard. u can check Osama bin laden, and shecow
Re: Reasons Why Police & Military Shave Their Beards by vision2050: 1:43pm On Apr 07, 2016
Is part of their ethics, more so you can't see a police man eating in a buccar and put on his cap , it is a taboo according to Aristotle.
Re: Reasons Why Police & Military Shave Their Beards by Mbediogu(m): 1:43pm On Apr 07, 2016
British heritage. American naval officers sometimes grow beards.
Re: Reasons Why Police & Military Shave Their Beards by Hysmady(m): 1:43pm On Apr 07, 2016
dubemnaija:

Gay alert
u r my fellow
Re: Reasons Why Police & Military Shave Their Beards by akinszz: 1:44pm On Apr 07, 2016
U don talk d only reason, any other one na lie.
mikolo80:
uniformity on parade ground
Re: Reasons Why Police & Military Shave Their Beards by SUPOL(m): 1:44pm On Apr 07, 2016
Toosure70:
is one of their useless and meaningless identity
God punish u dia
Re: Reasons Why Police & Military Shave Their Beards by Hysmady(m): 1:44pm On Apr 07, 2016
Even Jesus grew beards like sadam ussein!
Re: Reasons Why Police & Military Shave Their Beards by edwinter56(m): 1:47pm On Apr 07, 2016
It all has to do with regimentation...
Re: Reasons Why Police & Military Shave Their Beards by SUPOL(m): 1:47pm On Apr 07, 2016
EazyMoh:

So you mean Jesus was not a real man?
Wia did u see Jesus?

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Police & Military Shave Their Beards by SUPOL(m): 1:48pm On Apr 07, 2016
Hysmady:
Even Jesus grew beards like sadam ussein!
Have u seen Jesus?
Re: Reasons Why Police & Military Shave Their Beards by SUPOL(m): 1:50pm On Apr 07, 2016
vision2050:
Is part of their ethics, more so you can't see a police man eating in a buccar and put on his cap , it is a taboo according to Aristotle.
many rules like dat but its for insiders.

That is y it is very difficult to impersonate as an officer and not be caught.
Re: Reasons Why Police & Military Shave Their Beards by meccuno: 1:51pm On Apr 07, 2016
charix:

This.

Also in combat, if your opponent has no hair, beard, earrings or piercings then there's nothing you can grab on to as an advantage over him/her.
When girls fight they normally grab each other's hair in an attempt to make their opponent submit quickly. If you don't believe me watch all the girl fights that litter youtube.
then what of navy seals who carry beards in the middle east?
Re: Reasons Why Police & Military Shave Their Beards by BrainnewsNg(f): 1:51pm On Apr 07, 2016
IVORY2009:
Reasons, for them to be neat, in carrying out their duties.

really?
Re: Reasons Why Police & Military Shave Their Beards by BrainnewsNg(f): 1:52pm On Apr 07, 2016
drmikeadams:
?.while the Nigeria police uniform is dirty.....clean beard,dirty clothes and worn out shoes...plus filthy character. grin

Hahahahaha
Re: Reasons Why Police & Military Shave Their Beards by Omonigeriarere: 1:53pm On Apr 07, 2016
mikolo80:
uniformity on parade ground

Good point, but I think it is to curb the rates of illegal activities among police force. This is because identifying an officers with beards is difficult as compared to those without beards.
Re: Reasons Why Police & Military Shave Their Beards by uchwar1: 1:54pm On Apr 07, 2016
Virginkpekus:
I think it's probably for the same reason that makes me shave my kpekus!!
I like ur type. U will very rough during s*x
Re: Reasons Why Police & Military Shave Their Beards by SUPOL(m): 1:54pm On Apr 07, 2016
horladtop:
Please, can anyone give or explains reason why military men are not allow to keep beards in Nigeria and why their female are not allow to use earrings....
op u don apply finish, u don dey think of how u wan take shave ur Osama bi laden bears

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Police & Military Shave Their Beards by TheAdvocate(m): 1:55pm On Apr 07, 2016
Nigeria Navy allows

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Boko Haram Kills 70 Soldiers In Borno Ambush / Sowore Blasts Kelechi Iheanacho For Visiting Governor Yahaya Bello (Photos) / Police Nab 17 Sacks Containing APC Thumb-printed Ballots In Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.