Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,035 members, 7,828,627 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:16 PM

Is Marriage Really 'for Better Or Worse?' - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is Marriage Really 'for Better Or Worse?' (877 Views)

Is Marriage Really Important? / With THESE, Is Marriage Possible In The Next 12 Months? / Is Falling In Love Really For Everyone? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Marriage Really 'for Better Or Worse?' by TyLegal: 9:50am On Feb 04, 2016
We have always been taught that once you enter into a marriage, it is “for better or worse.” That is, you stay married or die trying; so even if you are being abused, you suck it up and pretend to be happy.

Inasmuch as it is a great thing to get married and stay married, one has to also know where to draw the line especially if your life is in danger.

Just recently, a husband was allegedly stabbed and killed by his wife. There were allegations that she had always abused him physically but he chose to stay with her till it became too late to leave.

Getting a divorce is messy; dirty linens, bed sheets and lingerie are displayed in court for all to see and it becomes quite difficult to merge the once happy couple to the embittered couple. It gets worse when children are involved.

Yet, in some situations, the only sensible thing to do is to walk out while you can. In some peculiar situations, even the courts will agree to dissolve the marriage and some of those situations are:

1. No sex. If a husband and wife do not have sex from when they say ‘I do’, it means they did not consummate the marriage and the marriage can be dissolved.

2. Adultery. For some people, adultery is a deal breaker such that if a spouse cheats, the other party may find it difficult living with the offending party and would rather just leave the marriage. Forgiveness is key in marriage but that is a topic for another day.

3. Unreasonable conduct. Any conduct which may be found as unreasonable for a spouse to live with such as rape, abuse, habitual drunkenness, attempted murder, inability to take care of the spouse.

4. Presumed death. Where there are reasonable grounds to believe that a spouse is dead.

Be that as it may, there are some cases where a ‘dead marriage’ resurrects and the husband and wife begin to live happily together again. So it is important for couples to do all that is reasonably necessary to make their marriages work.

But if your life is in danger or the lives of your children, then by all means, put yours and their safety first.

Are you in an abusive marriage? Are you considering getting a divorce? Please share... [url][/url][url][/url]www.tylegal.com
Re: Is Marriage Really 'for Better Or Worse?' by Cutehector(m): 9:58am On Feb 04, 2016
It's a cross brother

That is why Hell is enough punishment for anyone who torments you so badly.
Re: Is Marriage Really 'for Better Or Worse?' by chriskosherbal(m): 10:00am On Feb 04, 2016
Of course that is how is suppose to be like
Re: Is Marriage Really 'for Better Or Worse?' by CaroLyner(f): 10:02am On Feb 04, 2016
it is not for better or worse when your life is being threatened.

2 Likes

Re: Is Marriage Really 'for Better Or Worse?' by Nobody: 10:02am On Feb 04, 2016
Broken engagement is better than broken marriage, broken marriage is better than broken person.
Re: Is Marriage Really 'for Better Or Worse?' by Michellla(f): 10:14am On Feb 04, 2016
if your life is in danger,you back out of the marriage while you still can.

3 Likes

Re: Is Marriage Really 'for Better Or Worse?' by Michellla(f): 10:14am On Feb 04, 2016
HateU2:
Broken engagement is better than broken marriage, broken marriage is better than broken person.
on point.

2 Likes

Re: Is Marriage Really 'for Better Or Worse?' by Cutehector(m): 10:15am On Feb 04, 2016
CaroLyner:
it is not for better or worse when your life is being threatened.
everybody"s life is threatened at some point in their lives. It's just by the grace of God you and I are alive today.
Re: Is Marriage Really 'for Better Or Worse?' by CaroLyner(f): 10:20am On Feb 04, 2016
Cutehector:
everybody"s life is threatened at some point in their lives. It's just by the grace of God you and I are alive today.
so are you saying someone should remain in an abusive marriage?
Re: Is Marriage Really 'for Better Or Worse?' by Cutehector(m): 10:21am On Feb 04, 2016
CaroLyner:
so are you saying someone should remain in an abusive marriage?
did I say that? undecided
Re: Is Marriage Really 'for Better Or Worse?' by herboshedhe(f): 10:22am On Feb 04, 2016
[quote author=HateU2 post=42607101]Broken engagement is better than broken marriage, broken marriage is better than broken person.[/quote
Nice one]
Re: Is Marriage Really 'for Better Or Worse?' by CaroLyner(f): 10:28am On Feb 04, 2016
Cutehector:
did I say that? undecided
you made it sound like it
Re: Is Marriage Really 'for Better Or Worse?' by Cutehector(m): 10:45am On Feb 04, 2016
CaroLyner:
you made it sound like it
with whch musical instrument?
U see, dats one thing with you girls, u people just tend to draw baseless conclusions without first understanding a statement.

I just wrote that life itself makes everyone to feel threatened, thereby generalizing it. I never mentioned that it is OK for someone to sit back and watch themselves get killed in the process..

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage Really 'for Better Or Worse?' by Nobody: 11:08am On Feb 04, 2016
HateU2:

To add to what u said..."A broken marriage is better than not having a HUSBAND at all". But it's always better
to swallow one's pride and say am sorry than to loose all in the end...
Re: Is Marriage Really 'for Better Or Worse?' by Nobody: 11:11am On Feb 04, 2016
TyLegal:
We have always been taught that once you enter into a marriage, it is “for better or worse.” That is, you stay married or die trying; so even if you are being abused, you suck it up and pretend to be happy.

Inasmuch as it is a great thing to get married and stay married, one has to also know where to draw the line especially if your life is in danger.

Just recently, a husband was allegedly stabbed and killed by his wife. There were allegations that she had always abused him physically but he chose to stay with her till it became too late to leave.

Getting a divorce is messy; dirty linens, bed sheets and lingerie are displayed in court for all to see and it becomes quite difficult to merge the once happy couple to the embittered couple. It gets worse when children are involved.

Yet, in some situations, the only sensible thing to do is to walk out while you can. In some peculiar situations, even the courts will agree to dissolve the marriage and some of those situations are:

1. No sex. If a husband and wife do not have sex from when they say ‘I do’, it means they did not consummate the marriage and the marriage can be dissolved.

2. Adultery. For some people, adultery is a deal breaker such that if a spouse cheats, the other party may find it difficult living with the offending party and would rather just leave the marriage. Forgiveness is key in marriage but that is a topic for another day.

3. Unreasonable conduct. Any conduct which may be found as unreasonable for a spouse to live with such as rape, abuse, habitual drunkenness, attempted murder, inability to take care of the spouse.

4. Presumed death. Where there are reasonable grounds to believe that a spouse is dead.

Be that as it may, there are some cases where a ‘dead marriage’ resurrects and the husband and wife begin to live happily together again. So it is important for couples to do all that is reasonably necessary to make their marriages work.

But if your life is in danger or the lives of your children, then by all means, put yours and their safety first.

Are you in an abusive marriage? Are you considering getting a divorce? Please share... [url][/url][url][/url]www.tylegal.com

Yes it is for better for worse. U can check the "MARRIAGE VOWS" the both of u took before being pronounced "HUSBAND N WIFE"..
Re: Is Marriage Really 'for Better Or Worse?' by CaroLyner(f): 3:13pm On Feb 04, 2016
Cutehector:
with whch musical instrument?
U see, dats one thing with you girls, u people just tend to draw baseless conclusions without first understanding a statement.

I just wrote that life itself makes everyone to feel threatened, thereby generalizing it. I never mentioned that it is OK for someone to sit back and watch themselves get killed in the process..

oh my bad.

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage Really 'for Better Or Worse?' by Nobody: 4:05pm On Feb 04, 2016
dukeolumde:

To add to what u said..."A broken marriage is better than not having a HUSBAND at all". But it's always better
to swallow one's pride and say am sorry than to loose all in the end...
on point
Re: Is Marriage Really 'for Better Or Worse?' by Nobody: 4:08pm On Feb 04, 2016
[quote author=herboshedhe post=42607711][/quote] kiss kiss
Re: Is Marriage Really 'for Better Or Worse?' by Nobody: 4:14pm On Feb 04, 2016
HateU2:
on point

Thanks..
Re: Is Marriage Really 'for Better Or Worse?' by Strahovski1(m): 4:21pm On Feb 04, 2016
Me I always advice people to divorce at the slightest thing. I have broken a few marriages. Yup the couple come to me for advice I say divorce. They follow my advice.

And those iddividuals are now happy. Better for worse my ass. If you die the other person will just marry again and forget you.

Please leave trash for lawman. You came to this world for a purpose.. so fulfil your purpose. If yor purpose is to die in the process of fixing a marriage then by all means... have fun dying.
Re: Is Marriage Really 'for Better Or Worse?' by Nobody: 4:35pm On Feb 04, 2016
Ok we have grown to the point where we now start questioning God's most sacred institution

(1) (Reply)

Valentine Fever (photo) / If He Hasnt Marry Her , Why Does She Has To Explain When Caught? / What Kind Of Person Have I Become?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.