Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,768 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:33 PM

Major-general James Oluleye Has Died - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Major-general James Oluleye Has Died (4842 Views)

Throwback Pic Of Buhari When He Was Decorated As A Major General. / Major General Mohammed Shuwa Shot Dead, By Gun Men! / Coup Speech Of Major-general Muhammadu Buhari, January 1, 1984 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Major-general James Oluleye Has Died by maxsiollun: 6:05pm On Jul 03, 2009
Major General Oluleye passes on
From BOLU-OLU ESHO, Ado-Ekiti
Friday, July 3, 2009
More Stories on This Section

Former Military Governor of Western and Mid-Western states, Major General James Oluleye (retd.), has been reported dead. The former member of the Supreme Military Council (SMC) during the regime of the late General Murtala Mohammed was said to have died of natural cause on Thursday.

Survived by his mother, Oluleye, who was simultaneously the military governor of old Kwara, Western and Mid-Western state during the regime of General Yakubu Gowon, was reported to have breathed the last around 3:00am in his country home, Efon-Alaaye-Ekiti.

Oluleye, who was also the minister of Finance during General Muritala Mohammed regime, was the author of Military Leadership in Nigeria: 1966-1979 and Archictecturing In Destiny- an autobiography.
Prof. Dipo Kolawole, the vice chancellor of University of Ado-Ekiti (UNAD), described the late Oluleye as an asset to Ekiti State and Nigeria in general.

He added that the late general was an honest man with a shinning legacy worthy of emulation by the present and future generations. “Baba was a very honest man, who lived an honest life. His puritanism, integrity and honour remained unassailable. We would have loved him to live with us forever, but then, death is an inevitable end for all humans. We are going to miss him,” he said.
Re: Major-general James Oluleye Has Died by Ezeagu2: 6:09pm On Jul 03, 2009
is he dead or has he died? shocked
Re: Major-general James Oluleye Has Died by WilyWily: 6:13pm On Jul 03, 2009
ooh!, one former Zombi is Dead ok.
Re: Major-general James Oluleye Has Died by Tudor6(f): 6:21pm On Jul 03, 2009
Soldier don go. . . Good riddance!
Re: Major-general James Oluleye Has Died by Fhemmmy: 6:23pm On Jul 03, 2009
Soldier go---soldier come, so who is next to come?
Re: Major-general James Oluleye Has Died by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jul 03, 2009
R,i.P
Re: Major-general James Oluleye Has Died by generalzango(m): 7:26am On Jul 04, 2009
@willywilly, in your family do you have any biafran sergeant,let alone a well recognized GENERAL of GENERALS in NIGERIA,who served his Father land when 9ja was still 9ja. You are nothing but a BLOCK-HEAD,who is never good in ANYTHING, i'm not sure you sat in a primary school, because you have never posted any thing reasonable before, you better change if not you will die in JEALOUSY!!!
Re: Major-general James Oluleye Has Died by WilyWily: 7:26pm On Jul 04, 2009
generalzango:

@willywilly, in your family do you have any biafran sergeant,let alone a well recognized GENERAL of GENERALS in NIGERIA,who served his Father land when 9ja was still 9ja. You are nothing but a BLOCK-HEAD,who is never good in ANYTHING, i'm not sure you sat in a primary school, because you have never posted any thing reasonable before, you better change if not you will die in JEALOUSY!!!
@Generalzango,
Cockroach, u dey make me laugh.
My family don't have any General in Arm Robbery, All Nigeria Army Generals are Thieves.
Re: Major-general James Oluleye Has Died by AloyEmeka9: 8:39pm On Jul 04, 2009
rip
Re: Major-general James Oluleye Has Died by WilyWily: 8:46pm On Jul 04, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

rip
RIP for a dirty Stinking Nigeria soldier that help ruined this country? Never
Re: Major-general James Oluleye Has Died by generalzango(m): 10:06pm On Jul 04, 2009
@willy willy,u call them theives becos they refused to recruit u in the Army 6 times,becos u are too DULL.
Re: Major-general James Oluleye Has Died by MrCrackles(m): 10:09pm On Jul 04, 2009
Dont know nothing about the dude but may his soul rest in peace!
Re: Major-general James Oluleye Has Died by Vamp(f): 5:43am On Jul 07, 2009
R.I.P General Oluleye
I know you're in a better place.
Re: Major-general James Oluleye Has Died by RichyBlacK(m): 7:50am On Jul 07, 2009
Rest In Peace!
Re: Major-general James Oluleye Has Died by lashlarule(m): 8:48am On May 20, 2011
he was a pathetic soilder, mtcheeeeew
Re: Major-general James Oluleye Has Died by oderemo(m): 9:10am On May 20, 2011
he was a pathetic soilder, mtcheeeeew
how , did u fought with him during the war and the man refused i presume to lick yor blooood kl, at azz on pure principle. can u engage your brain in gear next tym u post , will forgive u this tym as yor first idiotic post.
can u guys respect the dead for a second.
i know willy willy is the mother of all clowns.
Re: Major-general James Oluleye Has Died by lashlarule(m): 9:18am On May 20, 2011
for ur info, dis a well known man to me, as u can see dis is a very old article i had to google it out myself, guy double up, clue, my name is Oluleye
Re: Major-general James Oluleye Has Died by lashlarule(m): 9:22am On May 20, 2011
for your info, dis a well known man to me, as u can see dis is a very old article i had to google it out myself, guy double up, nd upgrade ur engl,i thnk its poor, clue, my name is Oluleye
Re: Major-general James Oluleye Has Died by oderemo(m): 9:29am On May 20, 2011
cant prove u r oluleye by any means, this is one faceless point of discussion.
lets admit for disc. sake u r oluleye, must u now disrespect a dead man, i tot u dont wash dirty linen outside irrespective. pls watever happ. the geezer is dead now and has no power to reply any comments.
so let it rest, u heaaaaaaaaaaaar.
Re: Major-general James Oluleye Has Died by Remii(m): 9:40am On May 20, 2011
.View Blogs
View Authors
Become an Author
Account Login
Submit Article
Submit Blog
My Account
My Submissions
Logout ()
Search

Advanced Search

HomeNewsEx-Fed Finance Commissioner Oluleye dies at 79
Ex-Fed Finance Commissioner Oluleye dies at 79
By Emmanuel OladesuPublished 3/07/2009NewsRating: Unrated
James Jayeola Oluleye, Major-General and community leader, is dead.

He died early yesterday in his private residence, Mesirinka House, Efon Alaaye, Ekit State. He was 79.

The late Gen. Oluleye, who retired from the Army 30 years ago, was Federal Commissioner for Finance and member of the Supreme Military Council (SMC) under the Murtala/Obasanjo regime between 1975 and 1979.

Family sources said the deceased was hale and hearty before he went to bed on Wednesday after chatting with his steward and other members of his household.

One of them was said to have gone to knock at his bedroom when it was noticed that he had not woken up to resume his routine exercise.

Every morning, the retired General walked about one kilometre in his sport dress to keep fit.

Following his death, family members contacted his fist son, Dr Wole Oluleye, former Executive Secretary, Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency (PPRRA) and the paramount ruler, Alayemore Obalufon of Efon-Kingdom, Oba Adesanya Aladejaye, to break the news.

Many indigenes thronged the residence on the outskirts of the ancient town to commiserate with the family.

Oba Aladejare, a former university teacher, was said to have lamented the demise of the gallant soldier who finally relocated home from Lagos two years ago.

He said his death was a blow to the kingdom at this stage of its development.

The late Gen. Oluleye played a prominent role as one of the leaders of the umbrella association, Efon Development League. He was chairman of the Lagos State branch of the association for many years.

He was also acknowledged the most important personality who brought Efon-Alaaye into limelight.

Family sources said around afternoon yesterday, Governor Segun Oni was informed about the demise. While alive, it was said that successive governors held him in high esteem because of his principle and discipline.

But, Oluleye was said to have deliberately declined to enter politics because of the deceit associated with politicking.

Born on October 14, 1930, at Efon-Alaaye, his home town, the late Gen. Oluleye attended St. Luke’s College, Ibadan, after leaving primary school. He taught briefly after his teacher training.

In 1959, he opted for a military career, attending the Regular Officers Special Training School, Ghana. He was also at the Nigeria Military Training College, Kaduna and Defence Services Staff College, Wallington, India.

He joined the military as an officer cadet, rising to second lieutenant in 1960. He was in the first Battalion, Enugu between 1961 and 1963.

Between 1964 and 1965, the late Gen. Oluleye was Chief Mortar Instructor at the Nigeria Military College.

In 1966, he became the commandant, Operations Officer, Nigeria Army Headquarters and later, General Officer Commanding, Second Infantry Division, Ibadan, between 1970 and 1975.

When the late General Murtala Mohammed became the Head of State, the late Gen. Oluleye was posted to the Nigeria Defence Academy (NDA), Kaduna as commandant. But, he declined to assume duties, saying he had taught enough at the military school.

The late Gen. Mohammed asked him to resign, but he also objected on the ground that he still wanted to serve his fatherhood.

Already, he had been named a member of the SMC as commandant-designate of the NDA. But, when he declined, the late Gen. Oluleye was made the Federal Commissioner for Establishment and Training. He was there between 1975 and 1977.

Between 1977 and 1979, he was Federal Commissioner for Finance.

The late Gen. Oluleye was a member of the Constituent Assembly, Abuja between 1988 and 1989.

An avid reader, he authored Military Leadership in Nigeria (1966-1979.)

Until he died, he was a widower.

A member of the Ekiti State House of Assembly, Hon Bisi Kolawole, paid tribute to the former minister, whom he described as a father-figure.
Re: Major-general James Oluleye Has Died by johnie: 9:41am On May 20, 2011
Guys, this is an old story.

Can we give it a rest?
Re: Major-general James Oluleye Has Died by Remii(m): 9:45am On May 20, 2011
[quote author=maxsiollun link=topic=292030.msg4130184#msg4130184 date=1246640700)
Survived by his mother, Oluleye, who was simultaneously the military governor of old Kwara, Western and Mid-Western state during the regime of General Yakubu Gowon, was reported to have breathed the last around 3:00am in his country home, Efon-Alaaye-Ekiti.

[/quote]

How could he have been be Governor  for three states at the same time. Nigeria Press and wrong use of words.
Re: Major-general James Oluleye Has Died by oderemo(m): 9:47am On May 20, 2011
^^^^^, no be nigerian journalist.
Re: Major-general James Oluleye Has Died by T9ksy(m): 10:28am On May 20, 2011
WilyWily:

ooh!, one former Zombi is Dead ok.

. . . . . and another one is still a vegetable in london whilst his wife has turned into village bike!
Re: Major-general James Oluleye Has Died by Objektiv: 10:01am On Jul 25, 2011
Ladies and Gentlemen, let's not be hasty in denouncing and criticizing EVERY person of Military background in the Nigerian Armed Forces,

Where your lack of apathy might be well founded in most cases, i regret to inform you that this is NOT one of said cases.

I know the deceased personally and can vouch for his Truism, Integrity and Loyalty to the nation. Most of his erstwhile colleagues stayed on to govern as purported civillians and robbed the country blind, he on the other hand abstained and had absolutely nothing to do with such wanton looting of the country, hence most of YOU have NEVER heard of him.

Let's NOT judge, save we have all the FACTS. Nigeria lost a true HERO.
Re: Major-general James Oluleye Has Died by WilWily: 5:23pm On Jul 25, 2011
Objektiv:

Let's NOT judge, save we have all the FACTS. Nigeria lost a true HERO.
Which Hero? kei.
We have to celebrate and thank God for the death of the former Thief.

(1) (Reply)

Onitsha: Police Arrest 200 Massob Memberrs / #occupy Nigeria Protests In Pretoria , South Africa / Will Kano Ever Be The Same Again?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.