Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,579 members, 7,812,891 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:24 PM

Advice For Relocating To Nigeria - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Advice For Relocating To Nigeria (11165 Views)

Parenting Advice For Career Women From Pastor Mrs Olamide Timi David / 4 Things To Do After You Are Engaged To Him (Advice For Ladies) / Wife To Separate From Husband For Relocating Too Much (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by EfemenaXY: 8:57pm On Feb 16, 2016
peacengine:
I am not surprised seeing females litter this thread with their contempt for country, you can continue putting the country down. You will hardly see a man doing this, go ahead and sell your nationality for light and good road, we African men will always come back to our root, even Obama will return to Kenya as he ages.

No??

So what's this then? grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by EfemenaXY: 9:00pm On Feb 16, 2016
Mindfulness:

The Eastern Europeans flooding GB do not migrate for the love of GB. grin The also migrate for economic reasons. cheesy
However, people migrate for many different reasons. I have a friend who moved to a foreign country because she feels that the culture there is more in sync with who she is even though it is a foreign one. cheesy I also know someone who moved abroad because she liked the climate abroad better. Some people go abroad to join the love of their life. Others move abroad to study and eventually settle there. The list is long.

It is just natural for humans to be moving around. It has always been so and it always will.

True, but those reasons you've stated aren't in context with this thread, are they?
Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by Nobody: 9:04pm On Feb 16, 2016
EfemenaXY:

True, but those reasons you've stated aren't in context with this thread, are they?

I am only here because you are here. kiss I just want the conversation to keep going. I have been missing you. tongue
I normally do other things at this time of the day. You just spoiled it. angry cheesy tongue

1 Like

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by 4nobody4every1: 9:05pm On Feb 16, 2016
Home is where you have peace, serenity, comfort, safety and that can be any part of the globe not necessarily your country of birth, Sipping my Pepsi reading comments cool

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by EfemenaXY: 9:10pm On Feb 16, 2016
Mindfulness:

I am only here because you are here. kiss I just want the conversation to keep going. I have been missing you. tongue
I normally do other things at this time of the day. You just spoiled it. angry cheesy tongue

No wonder you've been drilling me sad lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Was beginning to wonder what I'd done to deserve this. grin grin grin

Yeah, got a couple of days off this week, so making the most of it. How're you though. I miss you too. kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by Nobody: 9:15pm On Feb 16, 2016
EfemenaXY:

No wonder you've been drilling me sad lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Was beginning to wonder what I'd done to deserve this. grin grin grin

Yeah, got a couple of days off this week, so making the most of it. How're you though. I miss you too. kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss

I would NEVER drill you.

I am very very fine. Thank you. kiss

I went for a run today and it was nice but I didn't make it for long. The winter has made me lazy and I need to catch up again. Never mind.

How are you?
Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by peacengine(m): 9:17pm On Feb 16, 2016
EfemenaXY:

No??

So what's this then? grin grin grin

They will come back, hustling is not bad. They will return, it is difficult for a man to forget his root
Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by EfemenaXY: 9:25pm On Feb 16, 2016
peacengine:

They will come back, hustling is not bad. They will return, it is difficult for a man to forget his root

Yes, yes. But how many women did you count in that boat? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by EfemenaXY: 9:26pm On Feb 16, 2016
Mindfulness:

I would NEVER drill you.

I am very very fine. Thank you. kiss

I went for a run today and it was nice but I didn't make it for long. The winter has made me lazy and I need to catch up again. Never mind.

How are you?

Good on you!

I'm good though, thanks smiley smiley
Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by bebe2(f): 9:52pm On Feb 16, 2016
Mindfulness:

If moving abroad would make anyone unhappier, they would not move abroad.

My dear happiness is relative,

U cud be happy with ur job and unhappy with family life,

I am happy here, but I cud happier if naija was safe and I lived in the community where I was born, and raise my kids with their grand parents, lots of cousins, aunties , uncles and extended family and in their culture instead of trying to pull themy from one culture to another.

4 Likes

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by Nobody: 9:55pm On Feb 16, 2016
bebe2:

You have a point here. The point I was making was that I don't believe that anyone would move abroad if it made them unhappier.

I am happy here, but I cud happier if naija was safe and I lived in the community where I was born, and raise my kids with their grand parents, lots of cousins, aunties , uncles and extended family and in their culture instead of trying to pull themy from one culture to another.
Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by Nobody: 9:56pm On Feb 16, 2016
Nasha1, you are spot on as always.

"Those who are too honest to engage in politics are
punished by being governed by those who are
mean-spirited."--Plato

The responses on this thread are hilarious and myopic. I'm wondering if these are the same people that left Nigeria a couple of hours ago feeling posher than posh. One wonders how much they actually contributed to making Nigeria better.

Nigerians getting traumatised by power failure is comedy gold. Suddenly, y'all shìt don't stink. It would be hilarious if it weren't so damn unfortunate. Even if we haven't been in these heavenly countries, we see the news, we read history, we watch movies. We have friends and family who live in these countries. We have an idea how they got where they presently are, it's not by the attitude prevalent in this thread. Dismissing the problems of their society as being caused by those people, those people who are only ever comfortable in anarchy.

The civilised countries are only so because people took a stand to make sure things are done appropriately and justly. How many of you beacons of morality and all things proper have taken a stand on your streets in Nigeria where you have your house or where you grew up? Most of you have siblings, parents, cousins, friends here and you have done absolutely zilch to cause a little in your little way.

Many of the industry standards, policies, and legislation you enjoy and gloat about in your various paradises were a direct result of lawsuits, protests and campaigns pursued by private citizens like your very selves. Even in the obodo sef you're just there leeching on the society, and just a disposable lubricant of the well-oiled system at best. If your present abode begins to deteriotate, na to bail like a gypsy. And there's probably nothing wrong in shopping for a comfortable, cool, safe life. However, you're actually pointing a finger of condemnation at yourselves when you think you're suddenly better than what you ran away from. You are part of the problem, after all, we have been told that evil thrives when good people, and you are the best, do nothing. You have allowed evil to thrive, my people.

Blah, blah, blah. Etc, etc, etc.

Járá: Every nation deserves the government (society) it gets. --- Joseph-Marie, comte de Maistre

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by EfemenaXY: 10:11pm On Feb 16, 2016
bebe2:

I am happy here, but I cud happier if naija was safe and I lived in the community where I was born, and raise my kids with their grand parents, lots of cousins, aunties , uncles and extended family and in their culture instead of trying to pull them from one culture to another.

I love this. kiss kiss kiss
Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by Nobody: 10:15pm On Feb 16, 2016
Timbuktou:
Nasha1, you are spot on as always.

"Those who are too honest to engage in politics are
punished by being governed by those who are
mean-spirited."--Plato

The responses on this thread are hilarious and myopic. I'm wondering if these are the same people that left Nigeria a couple of hours ago feeling posher than posh. One wonders how much they actually contributed to making Nigeria better.

Nigerians getting traumatised by power failure is comedy gold. Suddenly, y'all shìt don't stink. It would be hilarious if it weren't so damn unfortunate. Even if we haven't been in these heavenly countries, we see the news, we read history, we watch movies. We have friends and family who live in these countries. We have an idea how they got where they presently are, it's not by the attitude prevalent in this thread. Dismissing the problems of their society as being caused by those people, those people who are only ever comfortable in anarchy.

The civilised countries are only so because people took a stand to make sure things are done appropriately and justly. How many of you beacons of morality and all things proper have taken a stand on your streets in Nigeria where you have your house or where you grew up? Most of you have siblings, parents, cousins, friends here and you have done absolutely zilch to cause a little in your little way.

Many of the industry standards, policies, and legislation you enjoy and gloat about in your various paradises were a direct result of lawsuits, protests and campaigns pursued by private citizens like your very selves. Even in the obodo sef you're just there leeching on the society, and just a disposable lubricant of the well-oiled system at best. If your present abode begins to deteriotate, na to bail like a gypsy. And there's probably nothing wrong in shopping for a comfortable, cool, safe life. However, you're actually pointing a finger of condemnation at yourselves when you think you're suddenly better than what you ran away from. You are part of the problem, after all, we have been told that evil thrives when good people, and you are the best, do nothing. You have all evils to thrive, my people.

Blah, blah, blah. Etc, etc, etc.

First of all, nobody said they were better but we all know the differences between highly developed and developing nations.

Secondly, you don't know most people here so stop making it personal. You don't know how many of us were born abroad, you don't know how many of us grew up abroad and you don't. know how many of us are mixed.

Thirdly, whole families would be starving without the money we are sending to Nigeria. Who knows? Maybe the whole economy would collapse without the money made in the diaspora.

Fourthly, plenty of people have described how they miss Nigeria but at the same time expressed how hopeless they feel about the country. Can you blame them?

Fifthly, even Albert Einstein, who you like to quote every now and then, left his home country to live abroad instead of fighting a fight he couldn't win.
It is a question of personal choice, which we all, including you, are entitled or not entitled to. wink

8 Likes

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by armyofone(m): 10:18pm On Feb 16, 2016
That country is not progressing. You wouldn't recognize a place after only mere two years of leaving that place. A small manageable good road you used to know would be all covered up in mud and pot holes large enough to swallow target trucks and caterpillars shocked grin
Common Lagos Ibadan express way no one could work on to make it two well made lanes.
one step forward ten steps backward with Nigeria.
Ummmmm dreaming of the day when we will have Texas/CA style roads/freeways in Nigeria until then, not yet uhuru.
Stop by your elem/high sch, the city hosp....etc those places you used to know cry sigh sigh.

5 Likes

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by cococandy(f): 11:06pm On Feb 16, 2016
Plus Christmas in the village with harmattan and lots of agbalumo (udara). cheesy

bebe2:

2 Likes

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by Nobody: 11:07pm On Feb 16, 2016
Mindfulness:

First of all, nobody said they were better but we all know the differences between highly developed and developing nations.

Secondly, you don't know most people here so stop making it personal. You don't know how many of us were abroad, you don't know how many of us grew up abroad and you don't. know how many of us are mixed.

Thirdly, whole families would be starving without the money we are sending to Nigeria. Who knows? Maybe the whole economy would collapse without the money made in the diaspora.

Fourthly, plenty of people have described how they miss Nigeria but at the same time expressed how hopeless they feel about the country. Can you blame them?

Fifthly, even Albert Einstein, who you like to quote every now and then, left his home country to live abroad instead of fighting a fight he couldn't win.
It is a question of personal choice, which we all, including you, are entitled or not entitled to. wink

1. People dont have to come out and say blatantly that theyre better than Nigeria, the inference can drawn from comments on this thread. I cannot move back because of such and such. The country is this and that. Let's not argue semantics here. No time. If moving back is beneath you, then it would mean you considers yourself too good to move back.

2. Anybody being born or growing up abroad is quite irrelevant to my post. If you haven't attempted to fix the problem,you've got no moral right to turn up your noses at those trying to or even those who feel hopeless and are "managing" the situation. If you grew up outside, perhaps the rest of us can share and benefit feom your lifelong experience, no? Otherwise, zip it and stop trying to scare people who are considering moving back. And of course, I have every right to take it personal when people are talking out of their arsès.

3. Out of point again, did I flay migrating and helping out family? Please, read my post again.

4. How could I possibly blame them? After all, Americans developed Australia and Germans developed France. Let's be just a wee bit patient, Ghanaians are going to come help us solve our shìt in a few months. Then instead of nostalgia and reminiscences, yall can just move back to the new, improved fatherLand.

5. I would love for you to highlight where I've called for the beheading of emigrants

7 Likes

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by bebe2(f): 11:45pm On Feb 16, 2016
armyofone:
That country is not progressing. You wouldn't recognize a place after only mere two years of leaving that place. A small manageable good road you used to know would be all covered up in mud and pot holes large enough to swallow target trucks and caterpillars shocked grin
Common Lagos Ibadan express way no one could work on to make it two well made lanes.
one step forward ten steps backward with Nigeria.
Ummmmm dreaming of the day when we will have Texas/CA style roads/freeways in Nigeria until then, not yet uhuru.
Stop by your [/b]elem/high sch, the city hosp....etc those places you used to know[b] cry sigh sigh.

An the most annoying thing is dathat some people want to be uneccessarrily patriotic.

The bolded brought tears to my eyes. The primary schpol I attended is now unrecognisable. No more roof on half the class.

It's a hopelesss situation even wen they pretend to building a road, or school give it two years and the place is back to the condition it started

1 Like

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by bebe2(f): 11:49pm On Feb 16, 2016
Timbuktou:

1. People dont have to come out and say blatantly that theyre better than Nigeria, the inference can drawn from comments on this thread. I cannot move back because of such and such. The country is this and that. Let's not argue semantics here. No time. If moving back is beneath you, then it would mean you considers yourself too good to move back.

2. Anybody being born or growing up abroad is quite irrelevant to my post. If you haven't attempted to fix the problem,you've got no moral right to turn up your noses at those trying to or even those who feel hopeless and are "managing" the situation. If you grew up outside, perhaps the rest of us can share and benefit feom your lifelong experience, no? Otherwise, zip it and stop trying to scare people who are considering moving back. And of course, I have every right to take it personal when people are talking out of their arsès.

3. Out of point again, did I flay migrating and helping out family? Please, read my post again.

4. How could I possibly blame them? After all, Americans developed Australia and Germans developed France. Let's be just a wee bit patient, [b][/b]Ghanaians are going to come help us solve our shìt in a few months. [b][/b]Then instead of nostalgia and reminiscences, yall can just move back to the new, improved fatherLand.

5. I would love for you to highlight where I've called for the beheading of emigrants

cry cry
Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by Nobody: 11:58pm On Feb 16, 2016
Timbuktou:

Did anyone here say that moving back is beneath them? cheesy
Go back and re-read, those who are still located in Nigeria have made harsher comments than those who live abroad. At least those who live abroad have admitted to some kind of homesickness.

Is anyone turning up their nose on those who try to manage the situation? People are calling a spade a spade. The country is in a mess and denying it won't help you make any progress.

Absolutely on point! What you are saying is that people who moved abroad have no right to express their opinion on the development of this country or - better - the lack of it, so send the money but zip it up, yeah? grin

4. How could I possibly blame them? After all, Americans developed Australia and Germans developed France. Let's be just a wee bit patient, Ghanaians are going to come help us solve our shìt in a few months. Then instead of nostalgia and reminiscences, yall can just move back to the new, improved fatherLand.

British people founded America. A brief survey of American history for you it is. And Americans along with some other countries helped Germany become what it is today. Another free lesson for you.

You do not want to "behead" emigrants but you want to deny them the right of speech like moving abroad and speaking up against the insanity taking place in this country in the 21st century is a crime. It is a free world. Anyone can say whatever they want about Nigeria. Whether they live in Nigeria, Timbuktu grin, Russia or China and whether they are Nigerian or not.

Wherever anyone chooses to live, is their business and whatever they choose to say about Nigeria is their business too.

And it comes as no surprise that those who have had the pleasure to enjoy stable electricity, free healthcare, free education, an efficient administration, police they do not have to fear and bribe, good roads, in a nutshell, a sane environment will see the contrast more clearly.

Your misplaced sense of patriotism will get you nowhere. And I question whether you remain in this country out of a noble intention to change it for the better but this is a topic for another day.

3 Likes

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by Nobody: 1:14am On Feb 17, 2016
Mindfulness:

Did anyone here say that moving back is beneath them? cheesy
Go back and re-read, those who are still located in Nigeria have made harsher comments than those who live abroad. At least those who live abroad have admitted to some kind of homesickness.

Is anyone turning up their nose on those who try to manage the situation? People are calling a spade a spade. The country is in a mess and denying it won't help you make any progress.

Absolutely on point! What you are saying is that people who moved abroad have no right to express their opinion on the development of this country or - better - the lack of it, so send the money but zip it up, yeah? grin

British people founded America. A brief survey of American history for you it is. And Americans along with some other countries helped Germany become what it is today. Another free lesson for you.

You do not want to "behead" emigrants but you want to deny them the right of speech like moving abroad and speaking up against the insanity taking place in this country in the 21st century is a crime. It is a free world. Anyone can say whatever they want about Nigeria. Whether they live in Nigeria, Timbuktu grin, Russia or China and whether they are Nigerian or not.

Wherever anyone chooses to live, is their business and whatever they choose to say about Nigeria is their business too.

And it comes as no surprise that those who have had the pleasure to enjoy stable electricity, free healthcare, free education, an efficient administration, police they do not have to fear and bribe, good roads, in a nutshell, a sane environment will see the contrast more clearly.

Your misplaced sense of patriotism will get you nowhere. And I question whether you remain in this country out of a noble intention to change it for the better but this is a topic for another day.

1. So, you want to come home but can't because you're scared to or have a better life elsewhere. It's not beneath you, just not up to the standards to which you've become accustomed. Alright, I here you. I've been told homesickness is a potent cure for the ills at home.

2. Nah, they're not. Just wondering why anyone would choose to remain here rather than seek peace of mind outside she it obviously exists. I don't see anybody denying Nigeria being in a mess. You're probably reading from another thread or another site altogether. Please, include links to these comments you're alluding to. Let's be on the same page and eliminate confusion, shall we?

3. I am saying, please stop twisting my words, that you should put your money where your mouth is. How does
grumbling solve the problems that exist? Send money or dont send, who gives a fùck apart from who's collecting? If you cannot attempt to solve the problem, you condemn yourself when you complain. This should be simple to understand.

4. Out of point.

5. First of all, I cannot deny and have no interest in denying anyone their freedoms. However, I recognise that i reserve the right to call bùllshit when I see it. Ironically, you seem to want to deny me my right to have a different opinion and disagree with the prevalent narrative. Again, there you go flying out of point and contradictingyourself. Anybody can say what they want except me?

6. I agree, it's their business. However, not all busines is private, and as such will garner public response. Deal with it.

7. Perhaps, you have a point. Maybe I'll be lucky in my lifetime to see things more clearly. Please, pray for me.

8. Permit me to confirm your suspicion that I remain in Nigeria not for patriotic reasons, but because I have been unfortunate to be denied a visa more times than I can remember. I probably have bad luck in that department. Ponder no more. I'm just bitter at my inability to leave the country. You got me there.

1 Like

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by Nobody: 1:39am On Feb 17, 2016
Timbuktou:

1. So, you want to come home but can't because you're scared to or have a better life elsewhere. It's not beneath you, just not up to the standards to which you've become accustomed. Alright, I here you. I've been told homesickness is a potent cure for the ills at home.

2. Nah, they're not. Just wondering why anyone would choose to remain here rather than seek peace of mind outside she it obviously exists. I don't see anybody denying Nigeria being in a mess. You're probably reading from another thread or another site altogether. Please, include links to these comments you're alluding to. Let's be on the same page and eliminate confusion, shall we?

3. I am saying, please stop twisting my words, that you should put your money where your mouth is. How does
grumbling solve the problems that exist? Send money or dont send, who gives a fùck apart from who's collecting? If you cannot attempt to solve the problem, you condemn yourself when you complain. This should be simple to understand.

4. Out of point.

5. First of all, I cannot deny and have no interest in denying anyone their freedoms. However, I recognise that i reserve the right to call bùllshit when I see it. Ironically, you seem to want to deny me my right to have a different opinion and disagree with the prevalent narrative. Again, there you go flying out of point and contradictingyourself. Anybody can say what they want except me?

6. I agree, it's their business. However, not all busines is private, and as such will garner public response. Deal with it.

7. Perhaps, you have a point. Maybe I'll be lucky in my lifetime to see things more clearly. Please, pray for me.

8. Permit me to confirm your suspicion that I remain in Nigeria not for patriotic reasons, but because I have been unfortunate to be denied a visa more times than I can remember. I probably have bad luck in that department. Ponder no more. I'm just bitter at my inability to leave the country. You got me there.

Some people who live home and abroad commented negatively on the country's condition but you decided to jump at the comments of those who live abroad saying that they have no right to speak up since they left the country. On top of that, dear Tim, you were acting like those who stayed home are some sort of national heroes who stayed to make a change whereas those who left should feel some sort of guilt and therefore remain quiet.

And I strongly disagree with your position on this because anyone can express their opinion whether they live in Nigeria or abroad. Moreover, those living abroad contribute massively to Nigeria's economy and thus development. So no Tim, the money we send does not only benefit those who receive it because those who receive it, spend it in Nigeria and every Kobo spent in Nigeria creates job opportunities in Nigeria.

"Remittances from diaspora Nigerians as lubricant for the economy

Undeterred by the security challenges the country is presently wading through, Nigerians in the Diaspora continued to remit billions of dollars into their motherland on yearly basis.

Next to petrodollars, the second biggest source of foreign exchange earnings for Nigeria is remittance from Nigerians from abroad."

http://homecomingrevolution.com/blog/2014/09/09/remittances-diaspora-nigerians-lubricant-economy/

So instead of telling people to zip it up because they chose or had the chance to live abroad, next time, and I would sincerely appreciate it, present arguments that show a different, more positive view of Nigeria instead of attacking people's freedom of opinion and speech. Show people why Nigeria is worth trying for since you seem to have a more positive outlook. It will go a longer way than attacking people personally and telling them to zip it up though they are making their contribution the best way they can.

And try and understand that for someone who has had the opportunity to live in a developed country, the contrast is huge when they come to visit Nigeria again.

3 Likes

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by Ewuro4: 1:42am On Feb 17, 2016
yellowdiamonds:
Hello! I just need some general advice or insight. My hubby, after living abroad for 15 years, now wants to return home. I and the children have never been there. It is a big move and I am excited but nervous. What advice do you have for me? And what can I expect in terms of housing, job searching and schools for the children? I know I am asking a very broad question but I would appreciate any advice at all. Thank you.
First of, I advice you to visit with kids first prior to moving finally.

First of which is the most important Q: I hope you and/or hubby have secured jobs with benefits? (but of-course pardon my silly Q) I'm not a big fan of people relocating home to do "business" shocked shocked -Epic fail in most cases and they're back in no time picking up the pieces of their lives that mostly leave them depressed and embarrassed.

my friends moved (3yrs now) and I tell you the schools over there are more expensive compared to what we pay here.

Now let's be real here, you will enjoy Nigeria for sure,in fact. Like I firstly inquired; provided you have constant income to live comfortably and most esp. reside in secured part of the country(those gated estates). Don't bother building mansion for starters, you'll end up renting it out at last, it's no point. Lease/buy those condos for starters.

You have numerous maids allocated into different house chores run errands for you 24/7 , and your life will never be the same again. She lives like an Ant-queen. She has definitely reached her final destination(her words)

Pardon my mashed-up post. As you know it, we are always in a hurry here on weekdays grin

Onegai (baby E's mom) your suggestions are needed here.

1 Like

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by armyofone(m): 2:18am On Feb 17, 2016
The fake patriotism is one reason why Nigeria is not moving forward. They want everything is be hush hushed. Keeping quiet and say nothing. They don't know how to maintain anything. Some schools here were built in the early18th century....still standing and looking fresh while my own UI is wearing a tired look.
OP, stay where you are o. This is no time to go or don't bother going at least not now. Go visit, bring back many food e.g okporoko, egusi enu ale, ogbono, dried fish, bonga, cray fish, suya spices, spices etc and live like a Nigerian wherever you are.
Even if it is cleaning job you are doing, you still see the worth of your labor/$/€/£ cleaning shitless and stainless toilet.

bebe2:

An the most annoying thing is dathat some people want to be uneccessarrily patriotic.

The bolded brought tears to my eyes. The primary schpol I attended is now unrecognisable. No more roof on half the class.

It's a hopelesss situation even wen they pretend to building a road, or school give it two years and the place is back to the condition it started

3 Likes

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by Nobody: 2:25am On Feb 17, 2016
Mindfulness:

Some people who live home and abroad commented negatively on the country's condition but you decided to jump at the comments of those who live abroad saying that they have no right to speak up since they left the country. On top of that, dear Tim, you were acting like those who stayed home are some sort of national heroes who stayed to make a change whereas those who left should feel some sort of guilt and therefore remain quiet.

And I strongly disagree with your position on this because anyone can express their opinion whether they live in Nigeria or abroad. Moreover, those living abroad contribute massively to Nigeria's economy and thus development. So no Tim, the money we send does not only benefit those who receive it because those who receive it, spend it in Nigeria and every Kobo spent in Nigeria creates job opportunities in Nigeria.

"Remittances from diaspora Nigerians as lubricant for the economy

Undeterred by the security challenges the country is presently wading through, Nigerians in the Diaspora continued to remit billions of dollars into their motherland on yearly basis.

Next to petrodollars, the second biggest source of foreign exchange earnings for Nigeria is remittance from Nigerians from abroad."

http://homecomingrevolution.com/blog/2014/09/09/remittances-diaspora-nigerians-lubricant-economy/

So instead of telling people to zip it up because they chose or had the chance to live abroad, next time, and I would sincerely appreciate it, present arguments that show a different, more positive view of Nigeria instead of attacking people's freedom of opinion and speech. Show people why Nigeria is worth trying for since you seem to have a more positive outlook. It will go a longer way than attacking people personally and telling them to zip it up though they are making their contribution the best way they can.

And try and understand that for someone who has had the opportunity to live in a developed country, the contrast is huge when they come to visit Nigeria again.

So, you're going to deny me the right to comment? Aren't you quite the hypocrite! On top or your pathological hypocrisy, you seem to have a hard time understanding things, or maybe you just deliberately twist comments so you can have something to say. You dont have to quote me, but if you must i would appreciate you not quoting me and arguing with yourself. There is no time I have praised those who stayed back. Why would anyone like the ediots on the first page deserve any praise? If you're not solving you're part of the problem, whether you live in Aba or Berlin, that has been my stand from my first comment, but, of course, you I cannot understand that. I know you will still come and say something that will make me repeat myself. No be you?

Unfortunately for the remitters, I'm not feeling particularly grateful tonight. Again, i say zip it if you arent going to fix it. Sue me. I have zero intentions of convincing inconsequential people of anything. The OP has received valuable advice adding to that would be irrelevant. I'm here to address whaT is obviously an attempt to bury diaSporan heads in the sand.

Lastly, I dont have to mollycoddle anyone to accept to come fix stuff here. Anyone who feels offended i didnt do that can fùck right off and miss me with that bùllshit. The mere thought of having to convince a Nigerian to come solve the problems in Nigeria is highly offensive to me.

This is one reason why i give up arguing with you most times; the need to repeat what I say every time. Nobody is disputing that Nigeria is a mess relative to your diasporan paradises. Nobody is even denying you the right to migrate wherever you like permanently. However, if you haven't put any effort in making things as they should be, you've got no moral right to complain. You are an enabler of the current system.

2 Likes

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by Nobody: 6:28am On Feb 17, 2016
Timbuktou:

So, you're going to deny me the right to comment? Aren't you quite the hypocrite! On top or your pathological hypocrisy, you seem to have a hard time understanding things, or maybe you just deliberately twist comments so you can have something to say. You dont have to quote me, but if you must i would appreciate you not quoting me and arguing with yourself. There is no time I have praised those who stayed back. Why would anyone like the ediots on the first page deserve any praise? If you're not solving you're part of the problem, whether you live in Aba or Berlin, that has been my stand from my first comment, but, of course, you I cannot understand that. I know you will still come and say something that will make me repeat myself. No be you?

Unfortunately for the remitters, I'm not feeling particularly grateful tonight. Again, i say zip it if you arent going to fix it. Sue me. I have zero intentions of convincing inconsequential people of anything. The OP has received valuable advice adding to that would be irrelevant. I'm here to address whaT is obviously an attempt to bury diaSporan heads in the sand.

Lastly, I dont have to mollycoddle anyone to accept to come fix stuff here. Anyone who feels offended i didnt do that can fùck right off and miss me with that bùllshit. The mere thought of having to convince a Nigerian to come solve the problems in Nigeria is highly offensive to me.

This is one reason why i give up arguing with you most times; the need to repeat what I say every time. Nobody is disputing that Nigeria is a mess relative to your diasporan paradises. Nobody is even denying you the right to migrate wherever you like permanently. However, if you haven't put any effort in making things as they should be, you've got no moral right to complain. You are an enabler of the current system.

Relax!

I will repeat it for you again in a very calm voice: cheesy

The money Nigerians send to Nigeria contributes immensely to the economy so they ARE making an effort to make things as they should be but even if they were not, there is no reason, moral or immoral, why they cannot share what they think about the country.

I saw you making comments on the situation in other countries, why would you when you do not consider it your moral right? Whatever that is.

2 Likes

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by Onegai(f): 7:33am On Feb 17, 2016
Ewuro4, I really didn't want to put mouth in this matter lipsrsealed

OP, Nigeria is currently having a crumbling economy so things are getting pricier as the days goes by. And yes, it's a mess even in the basics and people's mentality will seem off to you. So you can try it for 3-6 months (2 months will make you hate it, you need time to take a proper look) and see if you like it and you can thrive.

Good schools are pricey but it depends on your location, same with food and services. Healthcare is really bad, same with infrastructure. Safety isn't great unless you stay somewhere with rich folks.

What you really need is a good network. Hospitals may be bad but if you have doctors as friends and relatives, you're better off than most people. A good network will find you work and opportunities where other doors are closed.

And if people don't come back to develop Nigeria, it will change but much more slowly. Nigeria doesn't need money remitted from abroad, it needs people rolling up their shirtsleeves and putting in hard work and effort. Case in point: LASG built 2 tolls on Lekki expressway and charged a premium to use the road. Nigerians in Nigeria complained, Nigerians abroad whined, both groups had the same mentality and DID NOTHING. It took one retired guy to be pissed off and get a few other folks and they sued the govt and won and now, only one toll is taken. But Nigerians in Nigeria are still complaining and Nigerians abroad are still whining and neither group is getting off their ar.ses to DO ANYTHING ABOUT CHANGING STUFF.

QC Alumni association maintains their school (they provided Braille machines at one point to encourage them accept disabled students), St. Kizito's clinic (Mother and Child)
is funded by the Catholic church and private donations, some actress just donated fans to LUTH, etc.

(when I got back, I whined so much my mum almost dropped me at Oshodi in anger. But ask Jim Ovia where his oldest daughter is, ask Otedola where his girls are, Dangote's kids may school abroad but will come back here, come to Ikoyi and Ikeja and ask why all the rich people's kids are coming to Nigeria).

Nigeria is a mess. But if you're not doing anything about it, then you're the same, whether you live abroad or live in Nigeria.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by PresVA: 7:47am On Feb 17, 2016
I really don't understand the point of these arguments here.. Nigeria is a mess, yes we all know that.. and So? Everyone should run or what? How would all these complaints here help make Nigeria better? That's what I really don't know undecided
We all keep complaining and yet nothing is being done.. it's funny we keep blaming other people when we have done nothing ourselves. ..

Op, You can choose to live a 'happy' life wherever you are.. You can't tell me everyone living abroad is happier or better than those in Nigeria.. happiness is a choice. . kiss

And please stop comparing US or other developed countries with Nigeria. . Nigeria is still a developing country na ... hopefully, Nigeria will be better for our children.. Amen..
Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by PresVA: 8:12am On Feb 17, 2016
Peeps like this lady here: https://www.nairaland.com/2938462/meet-hope-2-year-old#42993833, are those I admire. . They try to help the situation and not all about complaints and blames..

If you can form a foundation and help some of the 'bad' situations mentioned here, then why don't you?
Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by Nobody: 9:17am On Feb 17, 2016
This always happens on threads like this angry

The us vs them which is a shame cos we spend so much talking but nothing gets done

I think that the truth should continue to be said and I speak from experience. Not everyone can start law suits and be on ground but every little helps.

We all have relatives in Nigeria and many of us were brought up in Nigeria and Nigeria still remains our identity and our roots before anywhere else.

Some Govt officials do take on board what's happening and try to effect change where possible. That I know first hand. Its just that omi po ju oka lo
(the water is more than the yam flour)

It was on this NL that I came when some rouge govt officials extorted money from me & with no receipt.
We received a call from one of the SA's to the governor the same day the post hit fp.
He was livid that they were bringing the name of his gov to disrepute. in the meantime the govt officials were also calling and begging me to come and collect my money. They even wanted to buy me credit so I could call the SA and beg on their behalf.
I'm almost certain that this wont happen again and those particular govt officials will behave themselves henceforth and save other innocent people from going through this.

Please let us say the truth about how things are and the issues that Nigerians are facing. Little drops of water make a mighty ocean.
The patriotism and and the love for a better country makes me cry out at all the injustice and the wrong that I see.

People say that if you have money you will enjoy.....
Unless you will put on dark glasses and not see all the beggars and kid hawkers on the road and not see things like that poor 2 year old abandoned witch boy, 5 kids on an okada on the way to school and not be moved by all that, then you can enjoy Nigeria.

Unless we fly from Ikeja to island and dont loose our wheels in muddy filled potholes after rainfall then we can enjoy
Unless we dont have hungry and poor extended relatives then we can enjoy.
I dont see any enjoyment when our own fellow human beings are suffering who just by luck are on the outside of our air conditioned jeeps.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by An0nimus: 9:29am On Feb 17, 2016
EfemenaXY:

Lord have mercy.

Cococandy & Bebe2, question for you on the point made earlier on about people having no empathy, even for victims of road accidents. If children are involved, do people in Naija still stand aside, snapping pic and videoing them as they bleed to death?? embarassed embarassed undecided

I respect you a lot (and still do) but was highly disappointed at this question. Hard to even come up with a reason why it was asked.

No, Nigerians are not savages. We have not fallen to the level you innocently asked of above. Nigerians will not stand aside and take pictures of children bleeding to death. I won't, my family won't, my friends won't.

Hope this answers your question.

1 Like

Re: Advice For Relocating To Nigeria by Nobody: 9:37am On Feb 17, 2016
Mindfulness:

Relax!

I will repeat it for you again in a very calm voice: cheesy

The money Nigerians send to Nigeria contributes immensely to the economy so they ARE making an effort to make things as they should be but even if they were not, there is no reason, moral or immoral, why they cannot share what they think about the country.

I saw you making comments on the situation in other countries, why would you when you do not consider it your moral right? Whatever that is.

Oh, now I get it. Silly me. The money Nigerians in the diaspora send is gradually, but surely changing the security and infrastructure situation amongst other things. Why didnt you just say so before?

I speak on the things that affect me or have the potential of doing so. When foolish Nigerians want to copy and paste culture and practices from other countries, I have every moral right to show them how good or bad their recommendations are. If they weren't trying to smuggle in silly custom custom wherever theybarebalong with their all-important forex, I wouldn't bat an eyelid.

By the way, have you staryed praying for my visa approval? 2016 must not pass me by. This year is my year. I must give my own testimony in church of how I'm finally moving to a civilised place and will be remitting money to boost the Nigerian economy.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Do I Kill This Appetite Without Commiting Adultery Or Sin? / Barely And Neatly Used Uk Baby Things. / Is It Normal That I've Never Received Any Gift From Anyone?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 163
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.