Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,517 members, 7,770,320 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 09:11 AM

If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. (7013 Views)

Nigeria Won't Have Survived If GEJ Had Won 2015 Presidential Election – Soyinka / Economy Will Pick Up In 2017, Says FG / Poor Economy Will Destroy Buhari’s Reign – Fayose (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by clemmonce(m): 5:26pm On Feb 15, 2016
Would the economy have been worse as this if Gej had won ? I don't think so. Nigerians made a mistake

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by saintkash(m): 5:31pm On Feb 15, 2016
I don't think u wanna knw the fact. ... if u think the economy is worse now then if Gejnhad won there will be no entity called Nigeria again....

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by Babalegba(m): 5:32pm On Feb 15, 2016
It does not look like you acquired a reasonable level of education. People like you are the reasons why politicians are able to mismanage this country

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by chriskosherbal(m): 5:40pm On Feb 15, 2016
Well we don't know

1 Like

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by egift(m): 5:42pm On Feb 15, 2016
OP you are trying very hard to suppress the facts.

- Would Jonathan have been able to take drastic steps to stop his PDP crew from further looting?
- Jonathan was already borrowing to pay salary when oil was selling than it is now, how would that not continue?
- What makes you think that Jonathan could have been able to challenge the PDP cabals? Something he could not even attempt in 6yrs.

Voting out Jonathan was the best thing that ever happened to Nigeria in decades. We will judge President Buhari at the end of his tenure too. For now Buhari has the unwavering support of all well-meaning and patriotic Nigerians. Forget all those miscreants wailing. Their yam-eating scheme is being busted daily, so wailing is understandable.

67 Likes 7 Shares

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by emitope: 5:46pm On Feb 15, 2016
Life is all about moving forwards & moving on
GEJ may actually av treated us beta/worse. the funniest tin is; we would neva know. Dude is gone
The reality we av now is PMB. I just pray that God helps him to make nigeria better & better 'cos whicheva way...beta or worse. na we d masses he go affect
All we need now is positive criticism & appropriate acknowledgements of good programs & decisions wen dey r made.....not vicious antagonism & dubious praise singing..
God bless Nigeria.

10 Likes

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by amaechi1: 5:49pm On Feb 15, 2016
In whose term does the economy starts bleeding and compounded by their reckless spending of our earned dollars during the elections. The economy would have be worse if GEJ had won.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by babyfaceafrica: 5:50pm On Feb 15, 2016
How you take know?...it may be far worse sef

4 Likes

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by ZKOSOSO(m): 5:57pm On Feb 15, 2016
GEJ would have done better! Better. Better!
The major problem of this country is the parasitic North!
If the North is equally productive and not parasitic on the resources of the south since 1912 and it's romance with militant Islam since danfodiyo era till date, Naija would have been better than England by now.

Nobody want to know how many trillions of oil money is going down the drain everyday since 1954 just to procure PEACE in the North...till date!

What are we even gaining from the Northern part to our overall GDP? Zero!! Big Zero!!!

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by bakynes(m): 6:10pm On Feb 15, 2016
ZKOSOSO:
If the North is equally productive and not parasitic on the resources of the south since 1912 and it's romance with militant Islam since danfodiyo era till date, Naija would have been better than England by now.

Nobody want to know how many trillions of oil money is going down the drain everyday since 1954 just to procure PEACE in the North...till date!

What are we even gaining from the Northern part to our overall GDP? Zero!! Big Zero!!!
You are a kid that am sure of. To think if not for corruption, Nigeria would have been better than England is just a kid's talk. Do you know how old is England a former World power.

To answer the OP's question, Nigeria would have been worse of why because Nigeria is a mono economy so once Oil price starts dwindling then there is a problem. Jonathan never saved, when oil prices were @ an all time high, he depleted the Foreign reserve in his term, he flooded the economy with too much dollars during the elections, he never took steps to diversify the economy, never did anything to improve local production to help our foreign exchange earning. So Buhari inherited a bad Nigerian economy so you can't be quick to blame him. Blame Jonathan but if after Buhari's term he doesn't bring us out of this problem then we can begin to blame him.

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by tuniski: 6:15pm On Feb 15, 2016
saintkash:
I don't think u wanna knw the fact. ... if u think the economy is worse now then if Gejnhad won there will be no entity called Nigeria again....
u are drunk on the propaganda sold to you during election! Buhari won and we are in a complete mess. Let no one keep telling u it would have been worse, no, it wouldn't have.

Empirical evidence shows it won't have been worse cos there would have been policy continuity and stability not this trial and error!

They turn anti corruption noise to economic Policy while the real economic drive are comatose!
They were fighting GeJ on all fronts yet, he was making progress. Now they are cheering buhari and shouting down every other differing voice but, the economy is spiraling down. Apc/buhari shame

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by obailala(m): 6:39pm On Feb 15, 2016
clemmonce:
Would the economy have been worse as this if Gej had won ? I don't think so. Nigerians made a mistake
Let me tell you a short story of what happened when the oil prices began to crash, just between October 2014 and May 2015 when GEJ handed over:

(1) The Naira fell from N166/167 to N220 to $1, meanwhile oil still sold at about $65/barrel as at May 2015.
http://abokifx.com/previous-rates-2/

(2) The nation's foreign reserves dropped from ~$38.5bn to $28.7billion, that's a drop of about $10billion in 7 months, with oil still selling at about $65/barrel as at May 2015.
http://www.cenbank.org/intops/Reserve.asp

(3) Nigeria's GDP growth rate which was maintained at an average of 6-7% suddenly dropped to its lowest since 1999 of 2.3%.
http://www.tradingeconomics.com/nigeria/gdp-growth-annual

(4) Due to a severe cash crunch occasioned by fall in oil prices, the Nigerian government had to borrow about $2.4billion dollars early in 2015 to pay salaries. The FG could not also pay accumulated arrears of fuel subsidy since August 2014 to petroleum importers (this led to the fuel scarcity in May 2015 just before the handover and Lai Mohammed also blamed this owed fuel subsidy as the reason behind the fuel scarcity late last year)
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/05/nigeria-borrows-to-pay-salaries-with-cash-crunch-worsening/
http://www.channelstv.com/2015/12/21/lai-mohammed-blames-fuel-crisis-on-past-administration/

Note that all of the above happened at a time when oil still sold above $65/barrel; today oil sells for about $30/barrel

Now I do not want to imagine the kind of economic humanitarian crisis that would have enveloped Nigeria had GEJ continued in his usual manner of dipping his hands into the forex reserves; only God saved us as a nation else we would have been standing on long queues by now to receive one cup of rice daily from W.H.O or UN outlets.

tuniski:
u are drunk on the propaganda sold to you during election! Buhari won and we are in a complete mess. Let no one keep telling u it would have been worse, no, it wouldn't have.
Empirical evidence shows it won't have been worse cos there would have been policy continuity and stability not this trial and error!
They turn anti corruption noise to economic Policy while the real economic drive are comatose!
They were fighting GeJ on all fronts yet, he was making progress. Now they are cheering buhari and shouting down every other differing voice but, the economy is spiraling down. Apc/buhari shame
Did I just hear you say continuity of those four (4) negative events I just pointed out above?
Are you aware that the FG under Buhari has not borrowed to pay salaries? It even bailed out the states
Are you aware the FG has paid off subsidy arrears owed to oil importers even since the days of GEJ?
Are you aware the FG/CBN has been able to maintain virtually the same forex reserve amount that it inherited till date?... Unlike GEJ that crashed it by $10billion in 7 months of oil price crash?
And now all these have been done when oil sells for less than half of what it was when GEJ was handing over and you think the present government is more useless?? I challenge you to tell me that these figures and indices I have written here are wrong, kindly explain to us your 'empirical' evidence.

62 Likes 16 Shares

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by Nobody: 6:39pm On Feb 15, 2016
Op, tell you what?, Buhari is quite smarter than Jonathan, How?

Whether Jonathan was re-elected or not, the economy would remain like this or worst but Buhari just came up with an idea called CHANGE, not necessarily to turn Nigeria to America over night but cover up some loopholes in the system.

Buhari does not have the power to change Nigeria economically but he has the influence to minimize Nigeria's elite corruption. But Jonathan saw it as stealing isn't corruption.

10 Likes

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by shameseun: 6:50pm On Feb 15, 2016
But GEJ handed GMB a better Nigeria than where we are today. At least $1 was 200 as at May 2015.
Buhari's delay in appointing his ministers made foreign investors to lose hope in Nigeria which led to the exit of the likes of JP Morgan. This increased the trend in capital flight as a result of lack of confidence in the Nigeria's policy or policy less economy for too long.
And l tell you, the implication of this we can see in our naira shortly after their exit. This is so because as they are selling their stocks in naira, they will seek foreign currency for onward transfer to their countries, thereby mounting more pressure on our naira.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by clemmonce(m): 6:57pm On Feb 15, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
How you take know?...it may be far worse sef
really ? I don't think so
Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by Adminisher: 6:58pm On Feb 15, 2016
clemmonce:

This is low IQ. He would not have been a able to control leakages and corruption. Nigeria would have taken about 30bn of loans. The combination of the loans , corruption, import duty waivers, capital flight and so on would have made the Naira heavily devalued. N500 to 1 dollar

8 Likes

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by a4jasper(m): 7:00pm On Feb 15, 2016
tuniski:

Empirical evidence u say?.......wud he hv been able to stop d nose dive in oil prices given d fact dat the economy was neva diversified under his regime. Gej is a good man but as a leader he had no political will to curb looting. I remember him speaking about austerity measures as far back as 2013 dat was to show d economy was already in recession as at then.

5 Likes

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by baralatie(m): 7:08pm On Feb 15, 2016
Actually if you look at it.GEJ would have beyond doubt perform and managed the present economy far,far,far and away better than PMB. But the problems would be
1,will PMB allow peace to reign upon the country after another loss in the elections(2011).your guess will be as good as mine.b.h sympathetism and outright chaos in the north would have spurn out of govt control(killing of anybody south and east).
2,will an APC governors and APC Assembly work with the president to even pass the budget remember the APC blocked the budget in his time.
3,with the outcome of the elections in favour of GEJ.will the s.e sit back and watch daylight murder in the north and not retaliate bringing about the second civil war!

So you can see the decision that was placed on Gej shoulders!
I doubt if PMB is bold and strong enough to deliver the successes that Gej had and avert the chaos of the last election by that one phone call.

But it is hoped that PMB should stop dancing with these broom wavers in the name of change and deliver quality governance

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by clemmonce(m): 7:11pm On Feb 15, 2016
saintkash:
Copied from a statement from this thread. I think this is the best answer for your.

But GEJ handed GMB a better Nigeria than where we are
today. At least $1 was 200 as at May 2015.
Buhari's delay in appointing his ministers made foreign
investors to lose hope in Nigeria which led to the exit the
likes of JP Morgan. This increased the trend in capital
flight as a result of lack of confidence in the Nigeria's
policy or policy less economy for too long.
And l tell you, the implication of this we can see in our
naira shortly after their exit. This is so because as they
are selling their stocks in naira, they will seek foreign
currency for onward transfer to their countries, thereby
mounting more pressure on our naira.

3 Likes

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by clemmonce(m): 7:13pm On Feb 15, 2016
Adminisher:

This is low IQ. He would not have been a able to control leakages and corruption. Nigeria would have taken about 30bn of loans. The combination of the loans , corruption, import duty waivers, capital flight and so on would have made the Naira heavily devalued. N500 to 1 dollar
with all the leakages and corruption controlled look at where we are. You have been hypnotized try to free yourself from mental slavery.
Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by omarithmetics: 7:13pm On Feb 15, 2016
Sadly, I have the same sentiment

1 Like

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by clemmonce(m): 7:18pm On Feb 15, 2016
egift:

- Would Jonathan have been able to take drastic steps to stop his PDP crew from further looting?
- Jonathan was already borrowing to pay salary when oil was selling than it is now, how would that not continue?
- What makes you think that Jonathan could have been able to challenge the PDP cabals? Something he could not even attempt in 6yrs.

Voting out Jonathan was the best thing that ever happened to Nigeria in decades. We will judge President Buhari at the end of his tenure too. For now Buhari has the unwavering support of all well-meaning and patriotic Nigerians. Forget all those miscreants wailing. Their yam-eating scheme is being busted daily, so wailing is understandable.
. speak for your self. He does not have my support . I am not partisan but when a president lacks direction we need to call him to order. if I may ask you what is the economic direction of Buhari ? please tell me. I think the FEC of buhari are confused and overwhelmed or may be they are still shocked that they won.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by clemmonce(m): 7:21pm On Feb 15, 2016
egift:

speak for your self. He does not have my support . I am not partisan but when a president lacks direction we need to call him to order. if I may ask you what is the economic direction of Buhari ? please tell me. I think the FEC of buhari are confused and overwhelmed or may be they are still shocked that they won.

4 Likes

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by allawizzow(m): 7:28pm On Feb 15, 2016
Mature contribuions so far
Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by allawizzow(m): 7:29pm On Feb 15, 2016
Mature contribuions so far

No insults
Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by homosapien(m): 7:32pm On Feb 15, 2016
clemmonce:

Let me come down to your level "Op", using these scenario. A man earning 500,000 and he is still complaining about lack of money to provide for the basic needs of his family ( wife, children). Suddenly, his 500,000 earnings suddenly drop to 50,000. In all sense of honesty, do you think that man will survive the financial quagmire.

7 Likes

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by tuniski: 7:36pm On Feb 15, 2016
obailala:

Let me tell you a short story of what happened when the oil prices began to crash, just between October 2014 and May 2015 when GEJ handed over:

(1) The Naira fell from N166/167 to N220 to $1, meanwhile oil still sold at about $65/barrel as at May 2015.

(2) The nation's foreign reserves dropped from ~$38.5bn to $28.7billion, that's a drop of about $10billion in 7 months, with oil still selling at about $65/barrel as at May 2015.

(3) Nigeria's GDP growth rate which was maintained at an average of 6-7% suddenly dropped to its lowest since 1999 of 2.3%.

(4) Due to a severe cash crunch occasioned by fall in oil prices, the Nigerian government had to borrow about $2.4billion dollars early in 2015 to pay salaries. The FG could not also pay accumulated arrears of fuel subsidy since August 2014 to petroleum importers (this led to the fuel scarcity in May 2015 just before the handover and Lai Mohammed also blamed this owed fuel subsidy as the reason behind the fuel scarcity late last year)
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/05/nigeria-borrows-to-pay-salaries-with-cash-crunch-worsening/
http://www.channelstv.com/2015/12/21/lai-mohammed-blames-fuel-crisis-on-past-administration/

Note that all of the above happened at a time when oil still sold above $65/barrel; today oil sells for about $30/barrel

Now I do not want to imagine the kind of economic humanitarian crisis that would have enveloped Nigeria had GEJ continued in his usual manner of dipping his hands into the forex reserves; only God saved us as a nation else we would have been standing on long queues by now to receive one cup of rice daily from W.H.O or UN outlets.

Did I just hear you say continuity of those four (4) negative events I just pointed out above?
Are you aware that the FG under Buhari has not borrowed to pay salaries? It even bailed out the states
Are you aware the FG has paid off subsidy arrears owed to oil importers even since the days of GEJ?
Are you aware the FG/CBN has been able to maintain virtually the same forex reserve amount that it inherited till date?... Unlike GEJ that crashed it by $10billion in 7 months of oil price crash?
And now all these have been done when oil sells for less than half of what it was when GEJ was handing over and you think the present government is more useless?? I challenge you to tell me that these figures and indices I have written here are wrong, kindly explain to us your 'empirical' evidence.
u surely do miss the dynamics.
Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by mars123(m): 7:45pm On Feb 15, 2016
ZKOSOSO:

How will an educated person not know that the major problem of this country is greed and corruption? brother, fear north but don't blame north.

you are not even ashamed comparing Buhari's 1st year to Jonathan's 6years? shame nor dey catch you?

6 Likes

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by obailala(m): 7:45pm On Feb 15, 2016
tuniski:
u surely do miss the dynamics.
Can you kindly explain the dynamics?
Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by Pavarottii(m): 7:48pm On Feb 15, 2016
bakynes:

You are a kid that am sure of. To think if not for corruption, Nigeria would have been better than England is just a kid's talk. Do you know how old is England a former World power.

To answer the OP's question, Nigeria would have been worse of why because Nigeria is a mono economy so once Oil price starts dwindling then there is a problem. Jonathan never saved, when oil prices were @ an all time high, he depleted the Foreign reserve in his term, he flooded the economy with too much dollars during the elections, he never took steps to diversify the economy, never did anything to improve local production to help our foreign exchange earning. So Buhari inherited a bad Nigerian economy so you can't be quick to blame him. Blame Jonathan but if after Buhari's term he doesn't bring us out of this problem then we can begin to blame him.
Zombie spotted! Where u not aware wen the Governors Forum headed by Ameachi said they should share 10billion dollars of ECA?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by kayfra: 7:54pm On Feb 15, 2016
ZKOSOSO:

The North over supplied crude oil to the global market which made prices fall?
The North decided that other regions or states shouldn't diversify their economies and hence, rely on handouts?
The North were solely responsible for looting the country dry?
The North forced our consumption habit of imported everything?
The North told you not to make hay while the sun shone? No savings.
The North told you to import what you can produce locally?
The North killed your puss cat?
The North made you fart?

7 Likes

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by amaechi1: 8:01pm On Feb 15, 2016
obailala:

Thank you for reminding us where we started failing. Despite these point you have enumerated they still blame PMB.

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

PDP Asks Aregbesola To Account For N100bn / Nnamani To Jonathan: Declare State Of Emergency On Corruption / Six Things That Will Happen Very Soon In Nigeria:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.