Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,448 members, 7,770,098 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:07 AM

If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. (7011 Views)

Nigeria Won't Have Survived If GEJ Had Won 2015 Presidential Election – Soyinka / Economy Will Pick Up In 2017, Says FG / Poor Economy Will Destroy Buhari’s Reign – Fayose (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by Sant1m: 8:06pm On Feb 15, 2016
Clear your mind of hate, you need it . The North per se is not the reason for our situation we all ve a hand in it, including you. That anyway is discussion for another day, on the issue at hand Gej would ve killed the Nation if he had won. Naira would ve gone up to 550 per Dollar under him believe me. Our only saving grace right now is Pmb and his frugal policies. Look! The exchange rate market responds to supply and demand forces,. .under Gej in the last two yrs oil price was averaging 65 to 75, what CBN does is that it uses this receipts to fund the official exchange rate. while corruption was funding the parrarel market via revenue leakages, i,e 2.1B dollars arms fund, Nimassa, dollar gifts, etc. On this basis the black market was adequately funded via corruption, hence the marginal difference in official and black marker rate under Gej. Of course this was corruption driven price stability that was destined to burst if oil price had crashed as it is now to under 30 dollars. If that had happened under the same corrupt price regime, i maintain that Dollar would ve risen to 450 at the official rate and 550 in the parrarel market, because Gej would ve accepted to devalue due to Govt inability to supply dollars to the official market due to revenue leakages.
Our saving grace now, with the oil crash is Pmb because he was able to block revenue leakages from the little we earn and with it the CBN funds the official rate, That dollar today is 300+ in the parallel market today, is due to scarcity of dollars occasioned by prudent monitoring of revenue. This is the reason for the high price of dollars in the black market. Our economy under Gej was graft driven, it was only a matter of time before the bubble burst. With Pmb atleast the country is fighting off this pressure. Pmb needs our support that is all i can say.

4 Likes

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by teadrake(m): 8:13pm On Feb 15, 2016
baralatie:
Actually if you look at it.GEJ would have beyond doubt perform and managed the present economy far,far,far and away better than PMB. But the problems would be
1,will PMB allow peace to reign upon the country after another loss in the elections(2011).your guess will be as good as mine.b.h sympathetism and outright chaos in the north would have spurn out of govt control(killing of anybody south and east).
2,will an APC governors and APC Assembly work with the president to even pass the budget remember the APC blocked the budget in his time.
3,with the outcome of the elections in favour of GEJ.will the s.e sit back and watch daylight murder in the north and not retaliate bringing about the second civil war!

So you can see the decision that was placed on Gej shoulders!
I doubt if PMB is bold and strong enough to deliver the successes that Gej had and avert the chaos of the last election by that one phone call.

But it is hoped that PMB should stop dancing with these broom wavers in the name of change and deliver quality governance
Shameful!!!!!Have been going through reasonable contribution coupled with real fact but here you're applying trash like an infant.What a shame!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by wirinet(m): 8:16pm On Feb 15, 2016
obailala:

Let me tell you a short story of what happened when the oil prices began to crash, just between October 2014 and May 2015 when GEJ handed over:

(1) The Naira fell from N166/167 to N220 to $1, meanwhile oil still sold at about $65/barrel as at May 2015.
http://abokifx.com/previous-rates-2/

(2) The nation's foreign reserves dropped from ~$38.5bn to $28.7billion, that's a drop of about $10billion in 7 months, with oil still selling at about $65/barrel as at May 2015.
http://www.cenbank.org/intops/Reserve.asp

(3) Nigeria's GDP growth rate which was maintained at an average of 6-7% suddenly dropped to its lowest since 1999 of 2.3%.
http://www.tradingeconomics.com/nigeria/gdp-growth-annual

(4) Due to a severe cash crunch occasioned by fall in oil prices, the Nigerian government had to borrow about $2.4billion dollars early in 2015 to pay salaries. The FG could not also pay accumulated arrears of fuel subsidy since August 2014 to petroleum importers (this led to the fuel scarcity in May 2015 just before the handover and Lai Mohammed also blamed this owed fuel subsidy as the reason behind the fuel scarcity late last year)
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/05/nigeria-borrows-to-pay-salaries-with-cash-crunch-worsening/
http://www.channelstv.com/2015/12/21/lai-mohammed-blames-fuel-crisis-on-past-administration/

Note that all of the above happened at a time when oil still sold above $65/barrel; today oil sells for about $30/barrel

Now I do not want to imagine the kind of economic humanitarian crisis that would have enveloped Nigeria had GEJ continued in his usual manner of dipping his hands into the forex reserves; only God saved us as a nation else we would have been standing on long queues by now to receive one cup of rice daily from W.H.O or UN outlets.

Did I just hear you say continuity of those four (4) negative events I just pointed out above?
Are you aware that the FG under Buhari has not borrowed to pay salaries? It even bailed out the states
Are you aware the FG has paid off subsidy arrears owed to oil importers even since the days of GEJ?
Are you aware the FG/CBN has been able to maintain virtually the same forex reserve amount that it inherited till date?... Unlike GEJ that crashed it by $10billion in 7 months of oil price crash?
And now all these have been done when oil sells for less than half of what it was when GEJ was handing over and you think the present government is more useless?? I challenge you to tell me that these figures and indices I have written here are wrong, kindly explain to us your 'empirical' evidence.

Few people earn my likes, i give you 2. This your post should be bookmarked and pasted anytime PDP/IPOB says Buhari destroyed Nigeria economy. If GEJ had won the elections, there would not even have been an economy talk less of destroying it. That Buhari was able to keep the Nigeria economy afloat with crude selling at less than $30/barrel, with low foreign reserve and savings is nothing short than a miracle.

7 Likes

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by baralatie(m): 8:32pm On Feb 15, 2016
teadrake:

Shameful!!!!!Have been going through reasonable contribution coupled with real fact but here you're applying trash like an infant.What a shame!!!!!
Let me put a direct question to you!
If GEJ had won the presidential elections,do you think PMB and the North and its ApC anti govt slogans will seat back and watch GEj administration to govern in peace with no violence outbreak around the country!

1 Like

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by Sant1m: 8:35pm On Feb 15, 2016
wirinet:

Few people earn my likes, i give you 2. This your post should be bookmarked and pasted anytime PDP/IPOB says Buhari destroyed Nigeria economy. If GEJ had won the elections, there would not even have been an economy talk less of destroying it. That Buhari was able to keep the Nigeria economy afloat with crude selling at less than $30/barrel, with low foreign reserve and savings is nothing short than a miracle.
The miracle is that he kept corruption at bay on a tripod chain with PDP and Wailers, we need to take them to a distant land off the coast of Australia where they will form their own Nation. THE PEOPLES DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CORRUPT WAILERS

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by shaqhead: 8:43pm On Feb 15, 2016
homosapien:

Let me come down to your level "Op", using these scenario. A man earning 500,000 and he is still complaining about lack of money to provide for the basic needs of his family ( wife, children). Suddenly, his 500,000 earnings suddenly drop to 50,000. In all sense of honesty, do you think that man will survive the financial quagmire.

Wow...it cant get anymore basic than this! Kudos

1 Like

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by shaqhead: 8:50pm On Feb 15, 2016
Pavarottii:

Zombie spotted! Where u not aware wen the Governors Forum headed by Ameachi said they should share 10billion dollars of ECA?
Please I pray u to tell us the "WHY" that necessitated this action cos I know that the GoVs, yes headed by Amaechi, ddnt just have a nightmare and started requesting for their share of the ECA fund.
Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by Ikengawo: 8:52pm On Feb 15, 2016
Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by Nobody: 8:57pm On Feb 15, 2016
Yes you're right. Gej would have turned himself to Merlin and performed some abracadabra to keep the oil price at $110/bbl. Afterall, he's goodluck.
He would also have used his invisible technology to fight yam eaters and people who like Dasuki, Tompolo et al who raped this country blind would have been given an award.
All hail Gej - The lord and savior of the yam eaters

3 Likes

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by baralatie(m): 9:06pm On Feb 15, 2016
PiperAlpha:
Yes you're right. Gej would have turned himself to Merlin and performed some abracadabra to keep the oil price at $110/bbl. Afterall, he's goodluck.
He would also have used his invisible technology to fight yam eaters and people who like Dasuki, Tompolo et al who raped this country blind would have been given an award.
All hail Gej - The lord and savior of the yam eaters
Then the budget by PMB must be a classic buffet of yams
-fried yams
-boiled yams
-roasted yams
-yam porridge
-smoked yams
-pepper soup yams
-dundun
-pounded yams

It was a serious buffet for the apc. shocked the APC brought shovels and tipper lorries to eat at the buffet budget!
You go fear categoriy of yam eaters naa

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by Atlantian: 9:06pm On Feb 15, 2016
Lets be frank. Jonathan would have at least presented a budget instead of the disgrace that the illiterate presented. What was he thinking ? He thought 2015 is 1983 ?

I know Jonathan would have actually, not ban medical and education abroad, cos he built schools even for the almajiris.

Abeg, no one should compare the idiot in Aso Rock to Jonathan, the most civilized President.
Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by fallout87: 9:22pm On Feb 15, 2016
There is no facts that support GEJ is as bad as APC say he was. All presidents and even Governors use state and federal money for election. Obasanjo did. Tinubu did. Ameachi used River State funds for Buhari.

Thesr people are just hypocrites.

The same people who told these zombies "GEJ is the worst" are the same people that tried to scam the country with a insane budget filled with corruption.

You can truly tell how foolish some people are when they choose to close their eyes to that corrupt budget yet cry about corruption in GEJ administration as if there own in just the first year of Buhari isn't even more. They are trying to steal trillions!

This APC experiment will destroy Nigeria. Just wait and see.

If GEJ were still president Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala would still be Finance Minister and she would have better handle of the issues. History has repeat itself because people are too stupid to learn.

When Buhari got in power in 83 what did he do to the economy? That's right! The same thing he is doing to it right now. SMH foolish people

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by BushidoBlue(m): 10:46pm On Feb 15, 2016
fallout87:
There is no facts that support GEJ is as bad as APC say he was. All presidents and even Governors use state and federal money for election. Obasanjo did. Tinubu did. Ameachi used River State funds for Buhari.

Thesr people are just hypocrites.

The same people who told these zombies "GEJ is the worst" are the same people that tried to scam the country with a insane budget filled with corruption.

You can truly tell how foolish some people are when they choose to close their eyes to that corrupt budget yet cry about corruption in GEJ administration as if there own in just the first year of Buhari isn't even more. They are trying to steal trillions!

This APC experiment will destroy Nigeria. Just wait and see.

If GEJ were still president Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala would still be Finance Minister and she would have better handle of the issues. History has repeat itself because people are too stupid to learn.

When Buhari got in power in 83 what did he do to the economy? That's right! The same thing he is doing to it right now. SMH foolish people
Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by Sibrah: 11:53pm On Feb 15, 2016
shameseun:
But GEJ handed GMB a better Nigeria than where we are today. At least $1 was 200 as at May 2015.
Buhari's delay in appointing his ministers made foreign investors to lose hope in Nigeria which led to the exit of the likes of JP Morgan. This increased the trend in capital flight as a result of lack of confidence in the Nigeria's policy or policy less economy for too long.
And l tell you, the implication of this we can see in our naira shortly after their exit. This is so because as they are selling their stocks in naira, they will seek foreign currency for onward transfer to their countries, thereby mounting more pressure on our naira.
Stupidity is a choice.
As of March 28, naira exchange at N227 to a Dollar. Had Jona held power there would av bin no magic with which he could have run the economy. At $65/b he depleted reserves, borrowed, was eyeing VAT(tax) increase, more senseless privatization, had already signified the end to amnesty program. All these Buhari has avoided so far at $35/b.

2 Likes

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by aresa: 12:02am On Feb 16, 2016
clemmonce:
Would the economy have been worse as this if Gej had won ? I don't think so. Nigerians made a mistake

Exactly wetin the clueless, corrupt and incompetent stealing is not corruption go do? Reverse the price of oil from 430 to $100 when he stole, shared and squandered our money?

Shows that you don't know the reason why your economy tanked.

1 Like

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by Yyeske(m): 12:02am On Feb 16, 2016
obailala:

Let me tell you a short story of what happened when the oil prices began to crash, just between October 2014 and May 2015 when GEJ handed over:

(1) The Naira fell from N166/167 to N220 to $1, meanwhile oil still sold at about $65/barrel as at May 2015.

(2) The nation's foreign reserves dropped from ~$38.5bn to $28.7billion, that's a drop of about $10billion in 7 months, with oil still selling at about $65/barrel as at May 2015.

(3) Nigeria's GDP growth rate which was maintained at an average of 6-7% suddenly dropped to its lowest since 1999 of 2.3%.

(4) Due to a severe cash crunch occasioned by fall in oil prices, the Nigerian government had to borrow about $2.4billion dollars early in 2015 to pay salaries. The FG could not also pay accumulated arrears of fuel subsidy since August 2014 to petroleum importers (this led to the fuel scarcity in May 2015 just before the handover and Lai Mohammed also blamed this owed fuel subsidy as the reason behind the fuel scarcity late last year)
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/05/nigeria-borrows-to-pay-salaries-with-cash-crunch-worsening/
http://www.channelstv.com/2015/12/21/lai-mohammed-blames-fuel-crisis-on-past-administration/

Note that all of the above happened at a time when oil still sold above $65/barrel; today oil sells for about $30/barrel

Now I do not want to imagine the kind of economic humanitarian crisis that would have enveloped Nigeria had GEJ continued in his usual manner of dipping his hands into the forex reserves; only God saved us as a nation else we would have been standing on long queues by now to receive one cup of rice daily from W.H.O or UN outlets.

Did I just hear you say continuity of those four (4) negative events I just pointed out above?
Are you aware that the FG under Buhari has not borrowed to pay salaries? It even bailed out the states
Are you aware the FG has paid off subsidy arrears owed to oil importers even since the days of GEJ?
Are you aware the FG/CBN has been able to maintain virtually the same forex reserve amount that it inherited till date?... Unlike GEJ that crashed it by $10billion in 7 months of oil price crash?
And now all these have been done when oil sells for less than half of what it was when GEJ was handing over and you think the present government is more useless?? I challenge you to tell me that these figures and indices I have written here are wrong, kindly explain to us your 'empirical' evidence.
Permit me quote this post anytime these wailers want to disturb, thanks in advance. You nailed it

5 Likes

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by Achuwa1(m): 12:18am On Feb 16, 2016
Can all dis apc e-rat tell us one gud thing this present govt. Is enjoying if not tht it inherited all the little achievement it can boast of if there is any,,,
Austerity measures was announced by NOI early enough last year.
blocking of loopholes in govt.agencies was NOI idea same last yr..
. TSA was initiated by previous govt..
money APC used for its first bail out to states was from previous govt..
all projects on ground now was last yr project coz apc has done notn since it came into power...
equipment in fighting bh was from previous administration coz apc yet to buy a single bullet..
depletion of foreign deserve was buhari body odor of no direct policy initially he came into power& foreign investors ran away then northern elites now bought all shares tht was dumped by this foreigners.,,
ECA tht Gej was trying to save was still had to be shared coz Amaechi,oshiomole co..sued fg to court & won so Gej didn't want to disobey court order like buhari tht he had to share the money from ECA to states...
same lazy state gov. are the ones still asking for bailot now,after they were given same in February,,,
. So pls Gej has notn to do with the present state of Nigeria but buhari ,,,,coz he wasn't prepared b4 cuming into govt,,maybe he thought 1984 & presently was same.,,but he didn't know things has changed..
Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by irondome: 12:21am On Feb 16, 2016
obailala:

Masterpiece analysis, and nothing to add. Anyone that reads this and still believe GEJ would have managed the economy any better is definitely lying to himself.

4 Likes

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by fallout87: 3:00am On Feb 16, 2016
Yyeske:
Permit me quote this post anytime these wailers want to disturb, thanks in advance. You nailed it

Well you're quoting lies. The FG under Buhari did borrow to help both state and federal pay wages. In fact the North are trying an illegal scam of a Muslim loan for that same reason (only they won't pay employees, they will mostly pocket the money... Then complain about security vote of others and corruption)

1 Like

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by fallout87: 3:03am On Feb 16, 2016
irondome:

Masterpiece analysis, and nothing to add. Anyone that reads this and still believe GEJ would have managed the economy any better is definitely lying to himself.

What happened the first time Buhari took power in 1983?

Tell us what happened to the economy? Naira? etc..

Yes, keep lying to yourselves with fake excuses. He is doing the same thing then as he is doing today. It is not that things aren't tough, they are. However it is his economic and monetary policies which make things drastically worse.

Keep lying to yourself when Buhari is a repeat offender. Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it like the foolish people of Nigeria with Buhari.

2 Likes

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by aresa: 3:53am On Feb 16, 2016
[s]
fallout87:

What happened the first time Buhari took power in 1983?

Tell us what happened to the economy? Naira? etc..

Yes, keep lying to yourselves with fake excuses. He is doing the same thing then as he is doing today. It is not that things aren't tough, they are. However it is his economic and monetary policies which make things drastically worse.

Keep lying to yourself when Buhari is a repeat offender. Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it like the foolish people of Nigeria with Buhari.
[/s]

Poor planing by last administration when oil was selling for over 100 dollars and looting, stealing, plundering of foreign reserves got us to this point and not any policy by the present administration.

Today, our reserve is stable, we are raking in more income from no oil areas and we are holding our own unlike some oil producing countries rationing basic necessities because of low market value of oil. We are doing fine against many odds.

Today, we don't have thieves sending memos to the CBN to loot and share our foreign currencies or spending billions on spiritual prayers, for running presidential errands, stashed in wives bank accounts or inside shalanga.

Today in Nigeria, looters are actually going to end up in kirikiri...

You people need to stop insulting our intelligence with your self induced amnesia and pretense because we know what got us here..

1 Like

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by anonimi: 4:07am On Feb 16, 2016
aresa:
[s][/s]Poor planing by last administration when oil was selling for over 100 dollars and looting, stealing, plundering of foreign reserves got us to this point and not any policy by the present administration.

Have you asked the 36 state governors back then, including your hero- Alhaji Babatunde Raji Fashola

FG, States, LGs Share N568.4 Billion for Oct

[img]http://cdn1.vanguardngr.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/412x247xOkonjo-Iweala-e1442838220305.jpg.pagespeed.ic.nz-K0adxSv.webp[/img]

Also, $1billion was proposed for distribution to complement shortfall in expected revenue." The $1billion is a compromise by the FG over its words in September not to augment shortfalls anymore.

Responding to the presentation, the chairman of the States Commissioners of Finance and Ebonyi State Commissioner of Finance, Mr Timothy Odaah, lamented that the statutory allocation was getting smaller and smaller. "It appears this is the worst in terms of returns. This is the least in allocations as far as this year is concerned. We are mourning the dearth of funds and this is a wakeup call for states and local governments to buoy up their internally generated revenue."

While appreciating the "magnanimity" of President Goodluck Jonathan to approve the $1billion from the excess crude account and to be shared among the federal, state and local governments, Odaah expressed disappointment with the returns made by the NNPC.

He said that [size=14pt]the states had requested for $2bn[/size] to complement for the shortfall in revenue but got only $1billion. In September, Odaah and fellow commissioners had walked out of the Accountant General of the Federation (AGF) when the federal government said that the framework of the 2013 budget was no longer realistic and it won't augment shortfall in revenue. Odaah raised issues with the statutory allocations of previous months.

More from: http://allafrica.com/stories/201311150323.html

Meanwhile, the Common Sense Senator has a message for you. grin grin

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3403303_bruce_pngac5e04247d6bc83591bbe237085cb4b8

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by tuniski: 4:10am On Feb 16, 2016
obailala:
Can you kindly explain the dynamics?

1. The real reason for the unprecedented depreciation of the naira to 345/$ is the sluggishness of the current govt. It was 197/$ as of 29/may/2015. A GEJ's govt would have devalued and create a forex regime stability. The decline in oil revenue though critical and frustrating, there is no way out of a weakening naira but, having stability will largely cushion this spiraling depreciation and 'technical devaluation'. 200 to 345 within 8months and still falling is a disaster.

2. FDI (Foreign Direct Investments) won't have ceased and declined. Investors work within a stable forex regime and clear directional govt. Stability allows for planning and execution. This will ultimately mitigate against the unabated increase in headline inflation. Jobs will be saved and the Q on Q sectoral declines would have been stemmed.

3. Borrowing. GEJ would have effectively borrowed as needed frontally as a proactive measure. It is clear to all, buhari is having difficulty borrowing as its stand due to the neophyte nature of his economic team promoting welfarist packages during a period of austerity! It remains a mockery of economics that a nation facing dwindling revenue is politically offering welfarism. 500bn on waste during a time of desperate need for investment in capex is sure a no no to lenders.

4. Structural shift. This govt as seen from the scandal of budgeting only say one thing and does another. The first and most significant policy instrument of the govt has exposed the hypocrisy of the administration. Diversification has always been part of every govt for decades. However, the emphasis and political will to radically make the shift has been largely lacking. Taxation is now being drummed up as if it is new, instead of the norm even as the active economic agents are facing hard times occasioned by instability. So who do u tax? U don't drive away investors locally and globally and expect to increase revenue via tax. A GEJ would have continue to attract more investments.

5. Psychology of govt: the current govt blaming policy and a victim mentality have been a negative signal to all. They campaigned and threatened parallel govt should they not win. Now they have won and with no post election litigation for the first time in our democratic journey. The immediate goodwill was massive but, has now been replaced by blaming and jerk kneel response to governance. Great leaders are made through hard times! Obama came in during global meltdown and a USA facing two wars in Iraq n Afghanistan but, didn't make blaming Bush/republicans governance! Today, unemployment has falling from the 10.4% high of 2009 to. 4.7% today.
Things won't positively change playing the victim for a mandate u campaigned Vigorously across the country for, no it won't!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by jaymichael(m): 4:21am On Feb 16, 2016
Pavarottii:

Zombie spotted! Where u not aware wen the Governors Forum headed by Ameachi said they should share 10billion dollars of ECA?
And where were you when the Gej led FG was dipping it's hands of illegally into the ECA that belongs to the FG, states and LGs. The illegal withdrawals led to the Governors' clamour for the ECA money to be shared.
Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by Day169: 5:04am On Feb 16, 2016
saintkash:
I don't think u wanna knw the fact. ... if u think the economy is worse now then if Gejnhad won there will be no entity called Nigeria again....
..kindly let them be. They may remain in denial for a long time to come.

1 Like

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by wirinet(m): 5:22am On Feb 16, 2016
anonimi:

Have you asked the 36 state governors back then, including your hero- Alhaji Babatunde Raji Fashola ??

Your post further exposes the financial recklessness of your hero, GEJ. This article refers to November 2013, and in 2013 crude prices hardly went below $100 per barrel. How come GEJ was complaining of " revenue shortfalls" when oil was selling above $100? Why did Jonathan declare only N568.4 billion as total revenue for the month of October 2013 when oil sold for close to $110?

re-read your post again as see if it did not implicate the Jonathan administration.
FG, States, LGs Share N568.4 Billion for Oct

Also, $1billion was proposed for distribution to complement shortfall in expected revenue. " The $1billion is a compromise by the FG over its words in September not to augment shortfalls anymore.

Responding to the presentation, the chairman of the States Commissioners of Finance and Ebonyi State Commissioner of Finance, Mr Timothy Odaah, lamented that the statutory allocation was getting smaller and smaller. "It appears this is the worst in terms of returns. This is the least in allocations as far as this year is concerned. We are mourning the dearth of funds and this is a wakeup call for states and local governments to buoy up their internally generated revenue."

While appreciating the "magnanimity" of President Goodluck Jonathan to approve the $1billion from the excess crude account and to be shared among the federal, state and local governments, Odaah expressed disappointment with the returns made by the NNPC.

He said that the states had requested for $2bn to complement for the shortfall in revenue but got only $1billion. In September, Odaah and fellow commissioners had walked out of the Accountant General of the Federation (AGF) when the federal government said that the framework of the 2013 budget was no longer realistic and it won't augment shortfall in revenue. Odaah raised issues with the statutory allocations of previous months.

More from: http://allafrica.com/stories/201311150323.html

Now tell, if Jonathan was complaining of "revenue shortfalls" when crude was selling above $100 and declared only N568 billion in a month, how much would he have declared in a month to be shared when crude is selling at less less than a$30?

3 Likes

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by anonimi: 5:31am On Feb 16, 2016
wirinet:
Your post further exposes the financial recklessness of your hero, GEJ. This article refers to November 2013, and in 2013 crude prices hardly went below $100 per barrel. How come GEJ was complaining of " revenue shortfalls" when oil was selling above $100? Why did Jonathan declare only N568.4 billion as total revenue for the month of October 2013 when oil sold for close to $110?

re-read your post again as see if it did not implicate the Jonathan administration.

Now tell, if Jonathan was complaining of "revenue shortfalls" when crude was selling above $100 and declared only N568 billion in a month, how much would he have declared in a month to be shared when crude is selling at less less than a$30?

The JOINT Federation Accounts committee is made up of the 36 states and 1 federal government, not so
Now read your post and correct yourself before someone else points out the obvious errors and fallacies contained therein.
Cheers

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by wirinet(m): 5:45am On Feb 16, 2016
anonimi:

The JOINT Federation Accounts committee is made up of the 36 states and 1 federal government, not so
Now read your post and correct yourself before someone else points out the obvious errors and fallacies contained therein.
Cheers

Please do use a favour and explain what joint federation allocation accounts committee has to do with revenue generation and declaration. It is the revenue declared by the FG that the joint federation accounts committee works with. The Jonathan government and NNPC was in the habit of declaring any figure that they wish, hence Sanusi's disagreement with the FG.

3 Likes

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by anonimi: 5:58am On Feb 16, 2016
wirinet:
Please do use a favour and explain what joint federation allocation accounts committee has to do with revenue generation and declaration. It is the revenue declared by the FG that the joint federation accounts committee works with. The Jonathan government and NNPC was in the habit of declaring any figure that they wish, hence Sanusi's disagreement with the FG.

The 36 states are CONSTITUTIONALLY empowered to challenge such figures, not so?
The senators and representatives, that had APC Speaker and majority had OVERSIGHT functions of NNPC etc, not so?
Why did they not use those POWERS
Did YOU stop them?

Sanusi was just trying to cover his CORRUPT ass with the baseless, ever-changing allegations that he made.
Surely any INTELLIGENT Nigerian could see that.
I am surprised that you did not see it. shocked

barcanista:
Since I was born, I have never witness the kind of hypocrisy, double standard and demonisation that is currently perpetrated by Muhammadu Buhari, the APC, Alhaji Sanusi, Osinbajo and their "good governance crusaders" against the person of President Goodluck Jonathan, Allison Madekwe, and other government officials.

Alhajis Buhari and Sanusi and APC have been going about using every platform to talk about a "missing $20b", cheered by their hypocritical followers that pride themselves as good governance crusaders. They have deliberately gone blind over the fraud of CBN under Sanusi as outlined by the Financial Reporting Council of Nigeria report in February 2014.

Sanusi Indicted And Removed For Fraud
According to the report (see below) Sanusi was indicted for Gross Misconduct that bothers on fraud and financial recklessness among other offence. The FRCN subsequently advised Mr President to remove Lamido Sanusi from office for further investigation and probe after the explanation of Sanusi appeared more like a tale and outrightly illogical according to FRCN. The council indicates that the explanation provided by Sanusi is “a clear display of incompetence, nonchalance, fraud, wastefulness, and abuse of due process and deliberate efforts to misrepresent facts on the part of the leadership of the CBN.”

The council advised the President to exercise the powers conferred on him by Section 11(2)(f) of the CBN Act 2007 or invoke Section 11(2)(c) of the said Act “and cause the governor and the deputy governors to cease from holding office in the CBN.”

April 2014: VP-elect Yemi Osibanjo Filed Case To Stop Sanusi Probe
Rather than Sanusi to prove his innocence in court, he filed a case in Federal High Court, Lagos to STOP FRCN and Other Security Agencies from investigating and prosecuting him through three Senior Advocates of Nigeria, Prof. Yemi Osibanjo, Dr. Kanyinsola Ajayi and Kola Awodien.
http://www.theguardianmobile.com/readNewsItem1.php?nid=24587

13 May 2014: Lagos Judge Tshoho Grants Sanusi Prayers
High Court Judge John Tshoho rather than uphold the constitutional powers of FRCN to investigate probe Sanusi, he granted the prayers of Lamido Sanusi and BARRED FRCN from further investigation or probing Sanusi Lamido Sanusi. In his own words...
“Prejudice is very pronounced in the language of that document. The language of the briefing note (transmitted by the FRCN to the presidency) conveys a sense of the defendant desperately goading the presidency to deal with the plaintiff,”
“The plaintiff submitting himself for investigation (by FRCN) is like the cockroach finding itself in the midst of fowls. Such a cockroach cannot be innocent,”.

http://www.tv360nigeria.com/?p=11923

Despite the fact the President Jonathan commissioned PWC to audit NNPC books to ascertain the veracity or otherwise of Sanusi's claim, Buhari, APC, Sanusi and their online agents that parade themselves as good governance and anticorruption apostles have been crying blue murder but refused to comment on the FRCN report nor the APC's VP elect role in shielding Sanusi for probe.

April 26, 2015: Buhari's Display of Hypocrisy
In his usual hypocrisy, General Buahri vowed to re-visit the $20b allegation but said NOTHING about the FRCN report. In his own word... “Imagine a situation where the former CBN governor who by God ‘s grace would later become the  Emir of Kano raised an  issue of missing billions of money, not in Naira but in Dollars, $20 billion.
“What happened, instead of investigating to know whether it was true that the money was missing or not, they simply found a reason to remove him. So these are the issues we are talking about…"

Contrary to the lies of Alhaji Buhari, Sanusi wasn't removed because he raised alarm, he was removed because he was indicted by FRCN. Jonathan also never kept mute, he commissioned PWC to audit the books. Buhari was also blind to talk about prosecuting Sanusi for the CBN fraud. Perhaps the Emir is as "incorruptible" as him(Buhari)

[size=14pt]The FRCN’s report on Sanusi[/size]

[img]https://www.nairaland.com/download/660265[/img]

The decision to suspend the Central Bank of Nigeria Governor, Sanusi Lamido was based on a report of the Financial Reporting Council of Nigeria dated June 7, 2013.

The report was made after a review of Sanusi’s response to the query issued to him by the President over the apex bank’s financial statement of 2012. His response was dated May 20, 2013.

According to a copy of the report obtained by our correspondent on Thursday, the council indicates that the explanation provided by the suspended CBN governor is “a clear display of incompetence, nonchalance, fraud, wastefulness, and abuse of due process and deliberate efforts to misrepresent facts on the part of the leadership of the CBN.”

The council advised the President to exercise the powers conferred on him by Section 11(2)(f) of the CBN Act 2007 or invoke Section 11(2)(c) of the said Act “and cause the governor and the deputy governors to cease from holding office in the CBN.”

The report read: The particulars of the infractions against Sanusi are:

Persistent refusal and/or negligence to comply with the Public Procurement Act in the procurement practices of the Central Bank of Nigeria.

(A) By virtue of Section 15 (1)(a) of the Public Procurement Act, the provisions of the Act are expected to comply to ‘all procurement of goods, works and services carried out by the Federal Government of Nigeria and all procurement entities.’ This definition clearly includes the Central Bank of Nigeria.

(B) It is however regrettable that the Central Bank of Nigeria, under his leadership, has refused and/or neglected to comply with the provisions of the Public Procurement Act (PPA). You will recall that one of the primary reasons for the enactment of the PPA was the need to promote transparency, competitiveness, cost of effectiveness and professionalism in the public sector procurement system.

More from: http://www.punchng.com/news/the-frcns-report-on-sanusi/

[size=14pt]Sanusi/CBN/FRCN indictment report continued[/size]

(C) Available information indicates that the Central Bank has over the years engaged in procurement of goods, works and services worth billions of Naira each year without complying with the express provisions of the PPA.

(D) By deliberately refusing to be bound by the provisions of the Act, the CBN has not only decided to act in an unlawful manner, but has also persisted in promoting a governance regime characterised by financial recklessness, waste and impunity, as demonstrated by the contents of its 2012 Financial Statements.

Unlawful expenditure by the Central Bank of Nigeria on ‘Intervention Projects’ across the country

(A) the unacceptable level of financial recklessness displayed by the leadership of the Central Bank of Nigeria is typified by the execution of ‘Intervention Projects’ across the country. From available information, the bank has either executed or is currently executing about 63 such projects across the country and has committed over N163billion on them.

(B) it is inexcusable and patently unlawful for any agency of government to deploy huge sums of money as the CBN has done in this case, without appropriation and outside CBN’s statutory mandate. It is trite that the expenditure of public funds by any organ of government must be based on clear legal mandates, prudent costing and overriding national interest.

Financial infractions and acts of financial recklessness committed by the Central Bank as reflected in its audited financial statements of 2012

(A) pursuant to Section 50 of the CBN Act 2007, a copy of the audited financial statements of the CBN for the year ended 31st December 2012 was sent to Mr. President. Based on the issues raised in the financial statement, a reaction was requested from you to enable a proper appreciation of the nation’s economic outlook.

(B) the response to this query was further referred to the Financial Reporting Council of Nigeria. The review by the council, rather than allay the fears of government, further confirmed concern bout the untidy manner in which you have generally conducted the operations of the CBN.

Some of the salient observations arising from the review are;

(A) in a most ironical manner, it has become obvious that the CBN is not able to prepare its financial statements using applicable International Financial Reporting Standards (IFFS) whereas Deposit Money Banks that the CBN is supervising have complied with this national requirement since 2012.

Undoubtedly, this laxity on the part of our apex bank, apart from calling to question its capacity for proper corporate governance, is capable of sending wrong signals to both domestic and international investors on the state of the Nigerian economy.

(B) the provisions of the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) signed by the CBN and other Deposit Money Banks on Banking Resolution Sinking Fund have been breached in a material manner. For example, a Board of Trustees (BOT) to manage the Fund has not been constituted since 2010 when it was established. The CBN has however continued to utilise the Fund for certain operations without approval of the said BOT.

(C) contrary to section 34 (b) of the CBN Act 2007 which provides that the CBN shall not, except as provided in Section 31 of the Act, inter alia, purchase the shares of any corporation of company, unless an entity set up by the approval or authority of the Federal Government,m CBN in 2010, acquired 7% shares of International Islamic Management Corporation of Malaysia to the tune of N0.743 billion. This transaction was neither brought to Mr. President’s attention nor was a board approval obtained before it was entered into.

(D) the CBN has failed or refused to implement the provisions of the Personal Income Tax (Amendment) Act 2007. Accordingly the Pay-As-You-Earn (PAYE) deductions of its staff are still being computed in accordance with the defunct Personal Income Tax Act 2004, thus effectively assisting its staff to evade tax despite the generous wage package in the CBN, relative to other sectors of the economy.

(E) the CBN had an additional brought forward to General Reserve Fund of N16.031bn in 2012 but proceeded on a boy age of indefensible expenses in 2012 characterised by inexplicable increases in some heads of expenditure during the year. Examples include:

1. The bank spent N3.086bn on “promotional activities” in 2012 (up from N1.084bn in 2011). The bank spent this sum even when it is not in competition with any other institution in Nigeria;

2. The CBN claimed to have expended N20.202bn on ‘Legal and Professional Fees’ in 2011 beyond all reasonable standards of prudence and accountability;

3. Between expenses on ‘Private Guards’ and ‘Lunch for Policemen’, the CBN claimed to have spent N1.257 billion in 2012;

4. While Section 6(3)(c) of the CBN Act 2007 provides that the board of the CBN is to make recommendations to Mr. President on the rate of renumeration to Auditors, the bank has consistently observed this provision in breach and even went to the extent of changing one of the Joint External Auditors without notifying the office of the President.

5. In the explanations offered by the CBN pursuant to presidential directives, it offered a breakdown of ‘Currency Issue Expenses’ for 2011 and 2012. Interestingly, it claimed to have paid N38.233bn to the Nigerian Security Printing and Minting. Company Limited (NSPMC) in 2011 for ‘Printing of Banknotes.’ Paradoxically however, in the same 2011, NSPMC reported a total turnover of N29.370bn for all its transactions with all clients (including the CBN).

6. It is significant to note that the external audit revealed balances of sundry foreign currencies without physical stock of foreign currencies in the CBN Head Office.

Questionable write-off of N40bn loans of a bank

The above issues are only a few of the infractions highlighted by the review and which point to the gross incompetence and recklessness which characterised the operations of the CBN in the period under review.

However, the CBN also claimed that it paid Air Charter, such as payments to Emirate Airline (N0.511bn), Wing Airline (N0.425bn) and Associated Airline (N1.025bn) to distribute currency by air nationwide. Emirate Airline does not fly local charter in Nigeria, Wing Airline is not registered with Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority and Associated Airline does not have a billion turnover for 2011 because upon enquiry, the management claimed that they have no financial statements and have not had any significant operations for the past two years that will warrant preparation of financial statements.

The breakdown also include “Currency Issue Expenses” of N1.158bn and Sundry Currency charges of N1.678bn under “Currency Issue Expenses.” As they are in 2011 so are similar expenses in 2012. These are difficult to understand.

Other areas of fraudulent activities include

1. Facility Management N7.034bn in 2012 (N5.751bn in 2011.

2. Foreign Bank accounts that have been closed offshore were still operational in the General Ledger for over six months after they have been confirmed as closed accounts by the offshore banks.

3. The “Know Your Customer” policy is not properly followed by the CBN to the extent that the CBN has unknown customer with account balance of N1.423bn since 2008. The CBN claim that it is taking steps to obtain the required details regarding the address of the customer.

Wastefulness

1. Training and travel expenses N9.24bn in 2012 up from N7.65bn in 2011.

2. Expenses on “ATM offsite policy change” came to N1.045bn.

3. Expenses on “Non Interest Banking” N1.359bn in 2012 up from N0.977bn in 2011.

The CBN is still very heavy on expenses on “Project Eagles” spending N0.606bn in 2012 up from N63m in 2011.

Expense on newspapers, books and periodicals (excluding CBN’s publications) is N1.678 billion in 2012 up from N1.670bn in 2011,

From: http://www.punchng.com/news/the-frcns-report-on-sanusi/

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by tosin2013: 6:34am On Feb 16, 2016
tuniski:

1. The real reason for the unprecedented depreciation of the naira to 345/$ is the sluggishness of the current govt. It was 197/$ as of 29/may/2015. A GEJ's govt would have devalued and create a forex regime stability. The decline in oil revenue though critical and frustrating, there is no way out of a weakening naira but, having stability will largely cushion this spiraling depreciation and 'technical devaluation'. 200 to 345 within 8months and still falling is a disaster.

2. FDI (Foreign Direct Investments) won't have ceased and declined. Investors work within a stable forex regime and clear directional govt. Stability allows for planning and execution. This will ultimately mitigate against the unabated increase in headline inflation. Jobs will be saved and the Q on Q sectoral declines would have been stemmed.

3. Borrowing. GEJ would have effectively borrowed as needed frontally as a proactive measure. It is clear to all, buhari is having difficulty borrowing as its stand due to the neophyte nature of his economic team promoting welfarist packages during a period of austerity! It remains a mockery of economics that a nation facing dwindling revenue is politically offering welfarism. 500bn on waste during a time of desperate need for investment in capex is sure a no no to lenders.

4. Structural shift. This govt as seen from the scandal of budgeting only say one thing and does another. The first and most significant policy instrument of the govt has exposed the hypocrisy of the administration. Diversification has always been part of every govt for decades. However, the emphasis and political will to radically make the shift has been largely lacking. Taxation is now being drummed up as if it is new, instead of the norm even as the active economic agents are facing hard times occasioned by instability. So who do u tax? U don't drive away investors locally and globally and expect to increase revenue via tax. A GEJ would have continue to attract more investments.

5. Psychology of govt: the current govt blaming policy and a victim mentality have been a negative signal to all. They campaigned and threatened parallel govt should they not win. Now they have won and with no post election litigation for the first time in our democratic journey. The immediate goodwill was massive but, has now been replaced by blaming and jerk kneel response to governance. Great leaders are made through hard times! Obama came in during global meltdown and a USA facing two wars in Iraq n Afghanistan but, didn't make blaming Bush/republicans governance! Today, unemployment has falling from the 10.4% high of 2009 to. 4.7% today.
Things won't positively change playing the victim for a mandate u campaigned Vigorously across the country for, no it won't!

1. This was the exact same reason, babangida govt gave us during SAP of the 80s, devalue and stabilize the currency, we all know the rest of the story.

2. Which foreign investors? The paper investors like JP Morgan? Or the saboteurs like MTN? Infact which investor has left since buhari took over? FDI will flow if we solve our infrastructural deficit and not due to crude oil price.

3. Borrowing under gej would av being a big irony, wouldn't it? For a govt with the highest revenue in nigerian history for over 5yrs to start borrowing with 7 months of shortfall of revenue shows the excellent management of the economy.

4. Even a neonate knows the budget was sabotaged! Dont worry we will trash out the perpetrators. Moreover aw many times do we need to explain the importance of welfare in reviving a struggling economy? Social welfare packages was one the most important instruments used in the USA during recession. Go figure.

5 you got a point here though! But the APC needs to inform the masses the extent of the ineffectual buffoon!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by anonimi: 7:20am On Feb 16, 2016
jaymichael:
And where were you when the Gej led FG was dipping it's hands of illegally into the ECA that belongs to the FG, states and LGs. The illegal withdrawals led to the Governors' clamour for the ECA money to be shared.

IF what you said is not a terrible LIE, distortion and propaganda, please tell us why the senators and representatives whose Speaker and majority were APCshit opposition did not impeach Jonathan?
Why not

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: If GEJ Had Won I Don't Think The Economy Will Be This Worse. by kemus: 7:22am On Feb 16, 2016
tuniski:

Wish I could give ur submission more likes

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Osinbajo Inspects Beneficiaries of N10,000 Trader Moni in Enugu Today / Top 5 Worst Governor’s In Nigeria 2021-2022 / Meet Olowofela, The Kidnappers Chairman Ekiti/kwara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 165
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.