Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,825 members, 7,820,902 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:28 AM

Does Love = Like - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Does Love = Like (3553 Views)

Why Are Some Men So Quick To Label Women Gold-diggers? Does Love Mean Poverty/suffering? / Does Love Realy Fades Away? / Why Does Love Hurt So Bad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Love = Like by sistawoman: 11:34pm On Jul 07, 2009
I read from guys on NL all the time that say they love the girl so much but have never been on a date with her or talked to her or anything but they love her.

So i am wondering if in Nigeria love = Like in the western world.

Is this true. Is it just a difference in definition.
Re: Does Love = Like by kaypumpin2(m): 11:50pm On Jul 07, 2009
It is an age-long misnomer.Synonymous with " i am coming"(mo n bo) when Nigerians are actually leaving. grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Does Love = Like by Kelvinj(m): 12:01am On Jul 08, 2009
@sistawoman
pls make undastand sumtin here, is it dat guyz luv a girl & dnt no hw 2 say it or is luv d same as like?
Re: Does Love = Like by mamagee3(f): 1:13am On Jul 08, 2009
angry
Re: Does Love = Like by sistawoman: 12:23pm On Jul 08, 2009
Kelvinj:

@sistawoman
pls make undastand sumtin here, is it dat guyz luv a girl & dnt no hw 2 say it or is luv d same as like?

Well I think that people cant really say that they love someone unless they know them. And to say that you love a girl that you know nothing about but just see her about town or in school is not same as loving someone because you know them.

I am just trying to figure out if when a man says I love her so much and need to find a way to tell her if they are really just trying to say, I am attracted to her and like her from what you see and would like to get to know her.

Is it possible to love someone that you dont know?

so in Nigeria does love = like or interested
Re: Does Love = Like by iice(f): 12:45pm On Jul 08, 2009
Does Love = Like

Yes, that's why it lasts all of 3 seconds before dying tongue
Re: Does Love = Like by izeek(m): 12:47pm On Jul 08, 2009
well for want of a better word to describe thier feelings, love comes in handy.
Re: Does Love = Like by sistawoman: 12:48pm On Jul 08, 2009
izeek:

well for want of a better word to describe thier feelings, love comes in handy.

but if it really is not love why not use the word like
Re: Does Love = Like by Kelvinj(m): 12:52pm On Jul 08, 2009
@sistawoman
Hw on earth can a guy see a girl 4 d first tym nd conclude dat he luvs her! Wel sum can say it happens as in luv @ firstsight which i parially blive in. U can see a girl nd get attractd 4 d first time i.e likeness then as tym goes on u get 2 no her nd mayb in most cases yarn her d koko, there goes d 'i luv u gist' i.e deeper intimacy. Guez ur in2 a r/ship or married, ok imagine if ur bf/hubby ur wit nw walkd up 2 u d 1 tym den & says he luvs u, wont u take of nd cal him all sort of names(playa, hit n run etc.)
Re: Does Love = Like by ThoniaSlim(f): 12:55pm On Jul 08, 2009
Love and like are two different emotions. . .One(Love) just happens to be deeper than the other(Like) . .

I can like someone but certainly doesn't mean am in love with the person!
Re: Does Love = Like by TheSeeker(m): 12:57pm On Jul 08, 2009
I don't think love equals the same as like. They are both entirely different. You don't love someone you never had anything to do with or someone you never really spent time with. You only like them. When you like someone there are different approaches to that --- one is when you like them for a reason which you rarely find in people, another is to like everything about them for no reason and wanting to know more. I don't believe in love at first sight, you only have a feeling different from the random feelings you have for other people. In Nigeria, "like" can be equated to "love" when guys use it to sway girls unfortunately, and bad enough, it works on them. It's time demarcation is placed and the true meaning of these words don't get mixed.
Re: Does Love = Like by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jul 08, 2009
Love > Like
Re: Does Love = Like by izeek(m): 1:00pm On Jul 08, 2009
we can assume that ppl who feel differently from wht they normal felt in past relationships, now begin to think its really love this time.
moreso, wats the yardstick to measure love.
does it have a definite definition?
can it be described by five ppl in the same way?
is it noticeable by the next person watching from a distance.

its very difficult to tell. yes we know the word is over used, but can we tell if its wrongly used or rightly applied.
if there was a standard to measure it, then fine. but as long as it means diff things to diff ppl,
then we cant but help thinking they have been in love and lost it.
Re: Does Love = Like by jaybee3(m): 1:04pm On Jul 08, 2009
sistawoman:

I read from guys on NL all the time that say they love the girl so much but have never been on a date with her or talked to her or anything but they love her.

So i am wondering if in[b] Nigeria love = Like in the western world.[/b]

Is this true. Is it just a difference in definition.
bang on point sis.
Naijas misuse the word love a lot cos in ma books likeness+tolerance+adoring = Love and it takes time before all 'em key ingredients upgrades to Love.
Re: Does Love = Like by TheSeeker(m): 1:15pm On Jul 08, 2009
jay bee:

bang on point sis.
Naijas misuse the word love a lot cos in ma books [b]likeness+tolerance+adoring = Love [/b]and it takes time before all 'em key ingredients upgrades to Love.

You're right! But in some rare cases, the partners just might quickly and easily fit in within a very very short period -- that can not be unconnected with some couples who get married within 5 months of knowing each other and are doing very well in all fronts.
Re: Does Love = Like by sistawoman: 1:23pm On Jul 08, 2009
so when a guy walks up to a girl he does not know in 9ja and tells her he loves her very much and wants her to be his gf, what does the girl say?

Does she try to reason with him why he loves her and does not know her? Or does she get all gushy and accepts that he loves her but really he only likes her and wants to get to know her?
Or is it that there is no translation for like in the various languages?

*For instance there is no dirrect translation for "I miss you" to yoruba.*
Re: Does Love = Like by mamlaka(m): 1:31pm On Jul 08, 2009
God Loves everyone but there are people He Likes.
Re: Does Love = Like by TheSeeker(m): 1:34pm On Jul 08, 2009
sistawoman:

so when a guy walks up to a girl he does not know in 9ja and tells her he loves her very much and wants her to be his gf, what does the girl say?

Does she try to reason with him why he loves her and does not know her?  Or does she get all gushy and accepts that he loves her but really he only likes her and wants to get to know her?
Or is it that there is no translation for like in the various languages?

*For instance there is no dirrect translation for "I miss you" to yoruba.*

There is a direct translation of "I miss you" to Yoruba -- it is "Mo n se aro re"

Besides, most guys here talk to girls in English Language, the learned ones that is. The sad thing is most girls fall for this prank but the truth is most guys can't differentiate their feelings from likeness and love.
Re: Does Love = Like by kushemi(f): 1:35pm On Jul 08, 2009
[color=#990000][/color] no you cannot compare love to like, they are two different thing. So love is a genuie feeling from the heart,while like is compared to infatuation.
Re: Does Love = Like by iice(f): 1:39pm On Jul 08, 2009
TheSeeker:

There is a direct translation of "I miss you" to Yoruba -- it is "Mo n se aro re"

Besides, most guys here talk to girls in English Language, the learned ones that is. The sad thing is most girls fall for this prank but the truth is most guys can't differentiate their feelings from likeness and love.

Or mistake infatuation/attraction for love.
Re: Does Love = Like by bluespice(f): 1:43pm On Jul 08, 2009
the simple answer is in nigeria, scrap that
with nigerians, nine point five times out of ten, love professed is actually a fascination, likeness at best
the word love has been so bastardized, its lost all forms of meaning
Re: Does Love = Like by Tranngirls(f): 1:48pm On Jul 08, 2009
@Sistawoman
You really dont understand the mind of a man or guys in general they fall in and out of love or if you want to call it lust after a girl they are sexual attracted to or a girl they have watched for a long time and like the way the girl is. You can call the love to them anyway. It is all nomenclature.
Re: Does Love = Like by TheSeeker(m): 1:49pm On Jul 08, 2009
iice:

Or mistake infatuation/attraction for love.

Very right. I still find it amusing but disappointing that some guys act below the belt and mistake likeness for love. I still think most of these guys are so engrossed with Nollywood flicks featuring Ramsey Noah, Emeka Ike, Ini Edo, Mercy Johnson and the likes --- where Emeka sees Ini Edo and tells his friend Pat Attah that he's seen a girl at the mall and he 'loves' her grin grin
Re: Does Love = Like by iice(f): 1:55pm On Jul 08, 2009
TheSeeker:

Very right. I still find it amusing but disappointing that some guys act below the belt and mistake likeness for love. I still think most of these guys are so engrossed with Nollywood flicks featuring Ramsey Noah, Emeka Ike, Ini Edo, Mercy Johnson and the likes.

LOL
It used to be that men didn't say it so much. It was believed that it was because they were men and not prone to such feelings or that as men, it wasn't in their nature to say it out loud. I usually think it's because they didn't feel it, thus don't say it. Now, it's used as a means to entice females because we so love to hear that we are loved undecided

bluespice:

the simple answer is in nigeria scrap that
with nigerians nine point five times out of ten, love professed is actually a fascination, likeness at best
the word love has been so bastardized, its lost all foems of meaning

Word!
Re: Does Love = Like by TheSeeker(m): 2:06pm On Jul 08, 2009
iice:

LOL
It used to be that men didn't say it so much. It was believed that it was because they were men and not prone to such feelings or that as men, it wasn't in their nature to say it out loud. I usually think it's because they didn't feel it, thus don't say it. Now, it's used as a means to entice females because we so love to hear that we are loved undecided

Some men of old fashioned character still believe it's not valid to tell a woman he loves her or even show it in his actions. Probably because it's a wide belief that when you do it shows you're weak and Nigerian girls in their renowned style, will take advantage of that and think he's being a lame duck.
Re: Does Love = Like by gen2genius(m): 2:15pm On Jul 08, 2009
We can be so fussy sometimes. Who cares about syntax and semantics when conveying their feelings? You say it anyhow you feel it and let the recipient decide what to make of it! tongue

I wonder why we always think everybody everywhere (man or woman) should follow a certain rule that we think is the most appropriate.  Must everybody use the word "love" the way people in western countries use it? Everybody is free to use/interpret the word the way they think is proper because even the dictionary has SEVERAL denotative and connotative meanings of the word. And in the Greek language, love also has different meanings and interpretations, depending on who is feeling it, why he's feeling it, and for whom he's feeling it  wink 

Besides, in most Nigerian languages, "love" and "like" have the same translation and meaning. So, anyhow you use the word, you're on course wink
Re: Does Love = Like by sistawoman: 2:20pm On Jul 08, 2009
gen2genius:

Besides, in most Nigerian languages, "love" and "like" have the same translation and meaning. So, anyhow you use the word, you're on course wink

This is what I was trying to get it.

So in most Nigerian languages it means the same.

Maybe this is why most of my 9ja brothas that i hook up with my American sistas are dissed so quickly because they deam them as being fake and not ginuine because they throw the word out there so fast.

Would it be proper then for me to assume that they only really mean to say I like when they say I love?
Re: Does Love = Like by gen2genius(m): 2:27pm On Jul 08, 2009
As I said before, anyone can use the word anyhow (based on their understanding, environment, background etc); it's left for the "addressee" to put 2 and 2 together and decide if it's 4 or 40. That's life. Everybody can't be compelled to see issues, concepts and terminologies from one angle smiley
Re: Does Love = Like by iice(f): 2:31pm On Jul 08, 2009
gen2genius:

As I said before, anyone can use the word anyhow (based on their feelings, environment, background etc); it's left for the "addressee" to put 2 and 2 together and decide if it's 4 or 100. That's life. Everybody can't be compelled to see issues, concepts and terminologies from one angle smiley

It's not about being compelled to see it a certain way. Even though a certain percent sees love to have a deeper meaning compared to love. It's about clear communication. Miscommunication tend to arise when one certain party means it one way but the other sees it the other way.
Re: Does Love = Like by gen2genius(m): 2:36pm On Jul 08, 2009
That's not "miscommunication" dear. It's misinterpretation. And that cannot be avoided. Men and women do not always reason/ interpret words the the same way. Nor do Westerners and Africans always view expressions from the same angle. That's a reality we must learn to cope with wink
Re: Does Love = Like by sistawoman: 2:37pm On Jul 08, 2009
iice:

It's not about being compelled to see it a certain way. Even though a certain percent sees love to have a deeper meaning compared to love. It's about clear communication. Miscommunication tend to arise when one certain party means it one way but the other sees it the other way.

exactly.

so where as a real r/s could have bloosmed from the meetings it is killed right away with the 9ja brotha saying i love you too soon and an american girl not understanding he means i like you.
Re: Does Love = Like by sistawoman: 2:39pm On Jul 08, 2009
gen2genius:

That's not "miscommunication" dear. It's misinterpretation. And that cannot be avoided. Men and women do not always reason/ interpret words the the same way. Nor do Westerners and Africans always view expressions from the same angle. That's a reality we must learn to cope with wink

But if dealing with women in the Western world should not the brothas understand that the over use of the word is seen as fake and shady here? That coupled with the distrust that already is an underlying issue with Africans and Westerners should not the brothas be a little bit more sensitive when dating in our world?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Romantic Text Messages I Can Send My Girlfriend? / Could This Be True? Lina Medina: The 5-year-old Mother See more pics below / When Will A Nairaland Babe Also Give Me Green Light?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.