Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,497 members, 7,816,187 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:15 AM

Donald Duke Declares For Presidency November 7 At Inter. Conference Cent., Abuja - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Donald Duke Declares For Presidency November 7 At Inter. Conference Cent., Abuja (11684 Views)

Murray-bruce Declares For Senate, Laments Widespread Poverty. / Ifeanyi Uba Declares For Anambra Gubernatorial Race / Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Donald Duke Declares For Presidency November 7 At Inter. Conference Cent., Abuja by LondonCool(m): 11:29pm On Feb 05, 2007
LePhilippe:

I am tired of hearing great news about DD. What has he done about the Education and Health sector of CAlabar. He seems to be concerned where the money is. This indicates some sort of corruption. I respect his great works such as the OKADA Ban e.t.c but what has he done really!! The Obudu Ranch was a good idea but is it me or are all the pictures of it bare. Doesn't this indicate that it wasn't a great success. Will TINAPA turn out this way Besides the point, the airport in calabar is disastrous. Hasn't he ever been told that to promote the tourism sector the airport is the gateway to a country or city. Secondly, Calabar's Dilapidated infrastructure and out dated CBD is an insult. If he wants to get anything done he has to start from the way bottom and work his way up wards. He just seems to be after the extravagant projects. The biggest, the longest, the fastest. When oh when is he going to concentrate on the basics such as EDUCATION AND SECURITY!!! People in Calabar are so poor yet he spends $300m to build Tinapa! Come on that is just walk before crawling.

Please correct me if I am wrong!!!!

I have just returned to UK from Calabar and can attest to everything "Celemel" stated in his post.

AVIATION
The Margaret Ekpo Airport belongs the the F/Govt, why blame DD? Nevertheless, it still has a very high standard of aviation infrastructure-at least Arik Arlines, Aero Contractors and Virgin Nigeria would not all be running schedules from Abuja/Lagos to Calabar if it was that bad.

EDUCATION.

DD handed over secondary schools back to their original owners (formerly established by the Catholic and Presbyterian Churches), this has led to an improved standard of secondary education.The establisment of the state owned University CRUTECH was a visonary step in the right direction especially as Polytechnics in the country will soon stop issuing HND's in preference for B.Tech. All primary school Text Books are produced in the State and are supplied to every pupil at a very subsidised rate.

TINAPA PROJECT

You need to go there and see things for yourself. I was privileged to tour through the gigantic site and was awed by what I saw.(Wal Mart have already booked their Mega-Store there). The train route from the Airport to Tinapa is currently under construction and is already changing the landscape of the surrounding environs around the Ikot Ishie/Ikot Effanga axis.

ROADS

This is the area where DD scores my highest marks. Nearly 80% of road within Calabar (Calabar South & Municipality) are either tarred, dualised or graded to a very high standard.This makes traveling round Calabar very accessible and smooth depsite the huge influx of Cars from outside the state.

URBAN DEVELOPMENT
When DD became Gov he divided the state into 3 centres for Urban development purposes. Ogoja, Ikom,Ugep and Akamkpa have had roads tarred, water pipes laid and rural electricity projects have covered over 75 % of the state.

AGRICULTURE.
This has been a hit and miss area to me, but more hit than miss. If DD had concentrated on the areas where Cross River State had comparative advantage he would have even had made a name in Agriculture rather than Tourism. Whereas there has been a systematical Governmnet effort to replenish the Cocoa and Rubber plantations established by the old Michael Okpara regime with a view of exporting them and competing to overtake Ondo State as the largest Cocoa producer in Nigeria;venturing into Pineapple and Cashew Nut mass farming was an ill-advised project.At least it contradicts the laws of comparative advantage.

People in Calabar are so poor yet he spends $300m to build Tinapa !

I personally feel offended by that reckless fallacy of over-generalisation. What do you mean by "people in Calabar are so poor?", who were the people you were refering to ? Poverty is every where,even in UK-so whats the point you are making here? Are people in Calabar poorer than those in the Northern states ?. If you want to judge if DD has made the people in Calabar poorer during his last 8 years in power, then you need to measure the economic well-being of the people. Cross River State is not just about Calabar, it has 18 local government areas that have also improved their economic well-being. Akpabuyo LGA even has more steady,consistent and uniniterupted supply of electricity than Calabar itself.DD is fast pushing economic development towards Akpabuyo LGA as an extension of Calabar. I have even been allocated with a Detached House in the ongoing CRS Housing Estate being built there.

My 10 SHORT COMINGS of DONALD DUKE's REGIME
I am not a DD apologist, we have never met and the only 3 things I share in common with him are the same surname, schooled in the same Kongo campus @ABU and his good looks grin. Nevertheless, I have some concerns about some issues of governance.

1-Salaries are still not being paid on time,( a recurring decimal throughout DD's 8 year tenure.)
2-Not establishing any solid industry in any part of the state.(quite surprising) and selling the existing ones to his cronies.
3-Contracting most jobs and projects to non-indigenes of the state when state indigenes are qualified to do it
4-Deducting LGA allocation at source by force,and intimidating non-compliant LG chairmen
5-Political Vindictiveness-DD does not have much political grace when it comes to dealing with those who disagree with him ,he always goes to extremes to exact vengeance- a trait similar to OBJ.
6-No attempt or deliberate govt effort or policy to create an Entreprenueral class amongst the people-who are to all intents and purpose mainly Civil Servants.
7-Limiting most of the economic-cum-infrastructural development of the state to Calabar. Ikom and Ogoja used to be admin centres controling Afikpo,Abakaliki in the 1960's. There is really nothing to show that these areas have progressed from that status.I also blame all previous Governors for this neglect, not only DD.
8-Running the state PDP as a Cabal for his cronies.
9-Not being able to show everyone in the State our Balance sheet. How much money has been borrowed from the erstwhile STB Bank to finance the road projects? How much money is the State Govt owing ? Who are our creditors? .The state tried to issue Treasury Bonds in 2004 but couldnt succeed because the Debt Mngt Office in the Presidency raised some of the above questions that could not be answered.
10-How much was spent on Calabar Xmas Carnival since its inception in 2005 That is the smartest ways to siphon money out of the state. I had a friend who had the contract to bring in P-Diddy(he didnt eventually come)  for the last carnival and I was surprised at how much the CRS had spent in dollars despite the hype that the private sector sponsor the whole jamboree.
Re: Donald Duke Declares For Presidency November 7 At Inter. Conference Cent., Abuja by WhoAmI4(m): 2:15pm On Feb 09, 2007
Compatriots!

Positive Action is the greatest prayer

God will not come down from heaven to do the miracle by himself

People must make themselves available for God to use

Patito has done that- even at great risk to himself.
So has Donal Duke!

He/They need support.

This is the time for all Nigerians who want a beter future to ACT!

Vote!!!

The stars are favouring a miracle in Nigeria this year.

Atiku has been disqualified.

Yar adua is an unknown.

This is why I believe this is a very good chance for change

EFCC will not allow many CORRUPT people to contest.

If the youth and Nigerians can be made to see the oppourtunity here and come out in masses to vote, then God will perform the miracle sooner than we think.

Otherwise, we will all be praying endlessly.

Even a priest went to teh extent of Threathening his congregation with ex-communication fi they dont register to vote.
I believe he has seen the handwriting on the wall.

Pls tell everyone you know to come out and vote this time.

Lets be God's hand this tiem and then we will see what happens.

Cheers and Peace!
Re: Donald Duke Declares For Presidency November 7 At Inter. Conference Cent., Abuja by LePhilippe(m): 4:25pm On Feb 10, 2007
@ Celemel
I can see from this you are very proud about Calabar city. Compared with other major Nigerian cities such as Lagos, Kano, it is nothing but a success story. Have you ever been to major tourist resort cities such as Dubai, Hong Kong, Sun city e.t.c that your governor DD is comparing Calabar too Calabar doesn't have any good public transport services until recently the whole Calabar population depended on motor cycle taxis. This is ridiculous. Do you really expect a tourist to get onto one of these death rides

It is one of the few working airports in Nigeria, with all the facilities in good condition.

Again my friend you fail to see that Calabar is no more appealing to a low Nigerian standard, it is now appealing to an international standard. The horrible airport in Calabar is a big cry for attention. This airport is obviously not ready for the huge influx of people predicted to enter from the Tinapa venture. I mean what a shocking contrast, The dull airport to the shining new monorail.

My idea of infrastructure are roads, electricity, water, sanitation, schools, hospitals.

Exactly, these aren't very obvious in the vast greater calabar area. Calabar doesn't have a 24 hour power supply and it wants to get a fully functional monorail?? Before you say it, some cities in Nigeria have 24 hour power supply for example i know the city of Abuja has a 24 hour power supply. I was privileged to live there for a week and the power remained uninterrupted.

Roads - The road network is seriously lacking various facilities such as simple traffic management facilities such as double yellow lines. It is a very poor road network due to all i have seen you might disagree with this.

Water - Please answer this question for me, Does Calabar city and its greater area have a fully functional running water supply Please it still has a long way to become what in your statement is in good condition.

Schools - It may have UNICAL but isn't this same school plagued with strikes by the staff. Can't pupils bribe their way into this facility. Is a degree in UNICAL accepted by major countries in the world.

Don't get me wrong being a Nigerian i am proud of the TINAPA business resort but please DD should concentrate on simple issues rather that of Monorails or the longest or largest projects!!!
+
Re: Donald Duke Declares For Presidency November 7 At Inter. Conference Cent., Abuja by LePhilippe(m): 4:34pm On Feb 10, 2007
Please people before you start blowing DD's horn read this article and see if you still think he is the who you think he is!!!
GOVERNOR DONALD DUKE: SAINT OR SINNER?

Recently, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), through its Executive Chairman, Mr. Nuhu Ribadu, presented its report to the National Assembly; the report has indicted 31 governors in Nigeria on allegations of corruption. The said report has raised more questions than answers in Cross River State, in particular, where daily discussions have been proceeding about the “clean bill” of health pronounced for the Governor, Mr. Donald Duke. Opinions in the state consider it curious that the said report has totally exonerated Governor Duke; people are beginning to wonder if EFCC is actually familiar with all the available facts. This paper is therefore meant to raise, for the benefit of doubt, issues that the EFCC are probably unfamiliar with, pertaining to the conduct of public affairs and finances in the Cross River State of Nigeria.

In Cross River State, probably only very few people are ignorant about the billions of Naira that have accrued to the State from federal allocations, privatizations, loans, internally generated revenues (both from local government and state government sources) ecological funds, and grants from donor agencies as well as donations from public spirited individuals. There is need therefore for the EFCC to investigate, more thoroughly, the financial operations of the government of Mr. Donald Duke in the last almost eight years and ask for more information pertaining to the true nature of the expenditure of these funds; we believe that the EFFC should not allow itself to be guided only by the cosmetic type information that it has so far received from the official public relations organs of government. Evidence abounds to show that there are economic and financial crime matters in the Cross River State of Nigeria, probably unknown to the EFCC. It has become imperative therefore, to guide the EFCC on the approach employed by the governor to defraud the poor people of Cross River State of their legitimate funds while the various government officials are compelled to maintain “a conspiracy of silence” or risk being “sacked” from work. Significantly, the EFCC should note that after committing these various acts of fraud, government officials are made to post fictitious accounting figures to various heads and sub-heads in an apparent effort to balance the accounts of the state expenditure. The accounts of the eighteen local governments in the State have recently been harmonized for the purpose of covering up these financial crimes. The above and many other approaches has become a recurrence decimal in the management of public funds in Cross River State.

For the avoidance of doubt, the following specific issues are hereby being submitted to the EFFC, for further consideration. It is hoped that these issues will lead the EFCC to a better understanding of the affairs of Cross River State, in order that they could also reach a valid conclusions about the operations of the government and the Governor.

a) The deduction of N360,000,000.00 from local government allocations in the pretext of purchasing the cable
car at the Obudu Ranch Resort.

b) The monthly payment of N18,000,000.00 to the Governor’s wife, Mrs. Onari Duke through her NGO called
Enterprise Nigeria Foundation with Head office at Plot 15E, Flat 2, Muri Okunola Street, P. O. Box 71003,
Victoria Island, Lagos, Nigeria; and operational office at Suit C9, Amin Building, Calabar Free Trade Zone –CTZ,
Calabar. For the month of November 2005, this amount was paid vide Cheque No: 00000714 of Guaranty
Trust Bank – GTB, Calabar, dated 06-01-2006.

c) The monthly deductions of N42,968,036.53 meant for the poor communities and people of Cross River State
from the local government joint account as equity participation of Councils in the Tinapa project.

d) The arbitrary deduction of N62,812,531.51 from the local government joint account as loan repayment for
the Tinapa project for the month of September 2005, vide Guaranty Trust Bank GTB.

e) The inexplicable deduction of N50, 810,121.76 from the local government joint account vied Guarantee
Trust Bank – GTB in favour of Citizens International Bank.

f) The unauthorized deduction of N62,575,342.40 as Tinapa loan repayment for the month of August, 2005,
vide Guaranty Trust Bank.

g) The unauthorized deduction of N50,810,121.76 at source from the LGA joint account as loan repayment
for the month of July 2005, vide Guaranty Trust Bank.

h) The unauthorized deduction of N50,810,121.76 from the local government joint account (meant for the
poor rural and forest dependent communities) as loan repayment for Tinapa for the month of July 2005,
vied GTB in favour of Citizens International Bank Plc for August 2005.

i) The unauthorized deduction of N63,505,013.70 at source from the LGA joint account as loan repayment
for Tinapa for the month of July 2005, vide Guaranty Trust Bank;

j) The unauthorized deduction of N143, 267,132.29 from the local government allocations vide Guaranty Trust
Bank in favour of Citizens International Bank Plc for the months of June and July.

k) The unauthorized deduction of N70,028,538.81 from the local government joint account vide Guaranty
Trust Bank in favour of Citizens International Bank Plc for the month of August 2005.

l) The unauthorized deduction of N61,279,178.08 from the local government joint account as loan repayment
for Tinapa vide Guaranty Trust Bank Plc.

Supporting documents including vouchers pertaining to items (a – l) sited above have already been forwarded to EFCC and ICPC for appropriate investigation. Therefore it would appear that the alleged pronouncement of the EFCC on the Cross River State Governor is hasty because any information to the contrary will endanger the integrity of the EFCC locally, nationally and internationally. For the avoidance of doubts therefore, the EFCC should justify its claims by deliberately investigating the financial operations and records of Mr. Donald Duke. The EFCC, whose corporate integrity comes into question in the event of failure to recover huge sums of public funds, must be concerned. The following are specific areas of concern in this context:

i. A situation where huge sums of public funds allocated for poor rural communities is being diverted monthly for the Governor’s wife (Mrs. Onari Duke) for personal use and expensive life styles while the poor people languish in abject poverty and penury is fraudulent and should be investigated as a matter of urgent public interest. This is important because expenditure of over four hundred and eighty million naira [N480, 000,000.00] by Enterprise Nigeria Foundation (an NGO owned and managed by Onari Duke) without definite policy guidelines and presentations to the council authorities for ratification and approvals questions the transparency of the Governor’s operations.

ii. A situation where huge sums of local government funds meant for poor communities are being diverted from the local government joint account for personal use in the pretext of loan repayment amount to fraud. The urgent question at this point is: Who authorized and received the loans on behalf of the 18 local government councils? What were the loans meant for and how much was actually taken? When will the repayment terminate?

iii. A situation where local government statutory allocations are being budgeted to undertake specific operations by the various council chairmen to meet the needs and aspirations of their poor communities, and these funds are being diverted to undertake an unbudgeted operation, i.e. to purchase the cable car at the Ranch Resort ostensibly to play Chief Executive and meet the recreation needs of the rich class, is outrageous and tends to raise very serious questions of budget discipline and financial prudence. The pertinent question therefore is: do the poor people of Cross River State really need/use the Cable Car?

iv. A situation where the local government chairmen who are the accounting officers of their various councils are being prevented from maintaining clear records of actual expenses of their programmes and activities, questions the TRANSPARENCY of the Government of Mr. Donald Duke. Indeed a scenario where hundreds of millions of naira are being signed off single handedly without recourse to, and due approvals from the appropriate council authorities amounts to a breach of trust and should be investigated.

v. A situation where the Ministry of Local Government Affairs arbitrarily disburses hundreds of millions of Naira meant for local government councils calls for urgent investigation.

vi. A practice where public property are being grossly under valued and privatized to unknown persons in disregard to the appropriate policy procedures for the sale of public property should be viewed seriously by the EFCC and indeed the Independent Corrupt Practices Commission, ICPC. For instance, who bought Metropolitan Hotel Calabar (a six storey building in a prime location, precisely opposite the Governor’s office; adjacent the stadium and international conference centre as well as the Millennium Park; accessible to over ten banks and the Calabar airport) valued over N2 Billion naira but sold at only N200,000,000.00 even when General Ukpo had offered to buy the same property at N600,000,000.00? What is even more provoking is that this same property was renovated during the junior World Cup tournament hosted by Nigeria in 1999 at the cost of over N400,000,000.00. If Metro Calabar was sold at a loss of 2 billion naira in public funds, what was the rationale behind the decision? Is government not constituted to safeguard the overall interests of the people? In what way does the act of foregoing 2 billion naira amount to safeguarding the overall interests of the people? Does the act of foregoing 2 billion of public money amount to transparency in the conduct of public business? Importantly, who bought Metropolitan Hotel, Calabar? This is indeed a classical case for urgent investigation.

vii. A practice where public properties sold for a grand total of N1,291,000,000.00, and consultancy alone gulped a whooping N1,258,449,687.00 remaining a balance of N32,550,313.00 only, as revenue to government is unacceptable.

viii. A practice where huge sums of public funds meant for poor rural people are being diverted by Mr. Donald Duke for private and personal investments, i.e. for the construction of the ADMIRALTY TOWERS (three sets of high rise luxury flats) located at No. 9A Gerard Road, Ikoyi, in Lagos, is fraudulent. Mr. Duke rents out these flats at $5,000 per flat each month. For the avoidance of doubt, SHELL Petroleum is one of his tenants and has already paid rents for two years amounting to $960,000. This is a clear case of Mr. Duke putting his personal interest before public good. It is unacceptable and should be investigated urgently.

ix. A practice where government contracts are over-priced arbitrarily for personal gains is fraudulent. For instance, it was initially announced to the public that the construction cost of Tinapa is N25 Billion. Sadly, Mr. Duke now claims that the cost has arisen to N65 Billion, perhaps to justify his monthly deductions of local government allocations.

x. A situation where Banks in Calabar are being threatened and penalized for refusing to contribute N200 Million each to support the Tinapa project should be investigated.

xi. A situation where the Governor’s wife and brother are contracted to handle multi-billion naira Christmas carnival shows, the so called People Empowerment Programme (PEPI), architectural and construction projects (through Hameg consultants and COGEDS which bare a striking resemblance with HEGEDS, the company Donald Duke operated with office at 6 Razaq Balogone Street, Surulere Lagos, before he became governor) in Cross River State tends to raise very serious questions of ethics. The disclosure policy is instituted as a system of checks and balances to circumvent actual or potential conflict of interest. The provisions of the disclosure policy are very clear on matters such as this. Under this policy, the Governor is expected to make known his interest with persons or groups doing business with his government. This means that His Excellency who has actual or potential conflict of interest should not participate in decisions or vote on matters affecting any transaction (s) between his government and the other person or group. The danger in the Governor not making his interest known is that he may connive with such persons or groups to the detriment of the state. Therefore the appointment of Mrs. ONARI DUKE and GEORGE DUKE to undertake multi-billion naira projects for the government of Cross River State would appear to be prejudicial to the disclosure policy, and indeed a clear case of conflict of interest.

The inability of the National Assembly to amend the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria to empower the local government council chairmen and their councilors specifying clear functions and regulatory procedures for checks and balances regarding disbursements of local government funds has developed into a situation where Mr. Donald Duke through the Ministry of Local government Affairs expends council funds arbitrarily while the chairmen are compelled to retire such expenditure. In other words we have in the past almost eight years; run the risk of operating local government councils for whose financial operations the democratically elected Chairmen do not possess any legal instrument for expenditure.

It should be noted that billions of Naira accruing to the state government from statutory allocation are available for Governor Donald Duke to initiate any project his administration considers relevant for his people. It should equally be noted that already Billions of Naira as loans have been sourced from financial institutions and expended on the Ranch Resort and Tinapa projects. It would be recalled that Bonds were also floated for the purpose of enhancing the viability of the projects. It is therefore carious to see that local government allocations intended for the rural poor populations are being deducted arbitrarily in the pretext of purchasing the cable car for the Ranch Resort project and also funding the Tinapa project. The issue of deducting local government funds for the project should not arise. The deductions made on local government funds for the purported cable car and Tinapa projects involve huge financial commitment that would require appropriate authorizations from the various local governments ab-initio. Therefore the following questions are pertinent:

vAre Tinapa and the Ranch Resort Projects public investments or private investments?

vIf they are private investments, then are the funds of Local Governments properly secured within the
structure of the private investments? What sorts of securities or guarantees have been provided or so
far been given? Are the guarantees available in the records of the councils for the benefit of future generations?

vIf Local Government funds have been committed into Tinapa and the Ranch Resort, upon what authorities
were the funds committed? Local governments are supposed to have budgets for their annual expenditures;
local government funds are supposed to be spent in accordance with specified procedures spelt out in the
constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. Therefore, have the Chairmen received approvals of their
respective councils for the expenditure on Tinapa and the Ranch projects?

vIf Tinapa and the Ranch Resort are government projects, then is government well advised to commit the state
and the local governments to new investment projects? Is it not curious therefore that this is happening at a
time that all the previous investments of previous governments are currently being privatized? The compelling
question is: can a government be investing in new ventures and privatizing old ventures at the same time?
Is this not a manifest display of contradictions in the art of governance?

vAre Tinapa and the Ranch Resort more viable and more profitable to the local people in the LGA’s in the short
term and in the long run, than other projects?

LOANS
In respect of the loan portfolio of Cross River State, it is evident that there are huge burdens
of loans already incurred on behalf of this and future generations of the poor people of the
state. By this development, the State is totally mortgaged and, invariably, future
administrations are saddled with the burden duty of repaying these loans, sadly at source
from Federal Allocations. As previously highlighted, Mr. Donald Duke has had the
privilege of receiving huge bank loans and floated bonds on behalf of the poor people of the
state. It should be necessary therefore to act transparently to notify Cross Riverians of
details of the loan portfolio namely: the source of loan, amount involved, the repayment
schedule as well as the general conditions including interest rates. It is curious that the
governor have not considered it prudent to publish this information for the benefit of Cross
Riverians, on who the huge burdens of loans are ultimately visited.

Privatization
Records from the Cross River Privatization Council show that between 2002 and 2006 the following public properties have been sold arbitrarily:

1 CREL Plc 500,000,000.00
2 Niger Mills Plc 300,000,000.00
3 Calvenply 70,000,000.00
4 Biakpan Rubber Estate 40,000,000.00
5 Equity Guest House 30,000,000.00
6 Oban Rubber Estate 50,000,000.00
7 Cross Lines Limited 11,800,000.00
8 Cross Lines (Real Estates Quarters) 15,000,000.00
9 Equity Gas Plant 9,100,000.00
10 Equity Guest House 30,000,000.00
11 Metropolitan Hotel, Calabar 200,000,000.00
12 Metropolitan Hotel, Ikom 23,100,000.00
13 Kwafalls Palm Oil Estate 12,000,000.00
Grand Total N1,291,000,000.00

In addition to the above, the following public properties have also been sold without any trace of the funds being paid to the state treasury as a result of the sales:
a) The Calabar Cement Company Ltd, CALCEMCO
b) The Cross River State Newspaper Co-operation
c) The Government Printing Press
d) The Cross River Liaison office in Lagos
e) The Cross River State property at No.3, Military Street, near Tafawa Balewa Square, Lagos
f) Numerous residential buildings and vast area of lands designated for building purposes owned by the Cross River State government have been sold to fronts of Mr. Donald Duke.

ETHICS IN THE CONDUCT OF PUBLIC BUSINESS
v At a time when the watchword of government is poverty alleviation – in what ways do all the above contribute to
alleviating poverty among the masses of Cross River State and its local governments?

v At a time when the overall posture of government is privatization, is it ethical to be privatizing and investing at the
same time? Will the new investments not end up again in privatization shortly?

THE EFCC
It is my understanding that as the agency responsible for monitoring and exposing economic
and financial crimes in our dear country, it is the duty of EFCC among other things to
investigate appropriately the financial operations of our public officers before reaching a
valid conclusion. To pronounce a clean bill of health on Mr. Donald Duke on the excuse
that there has been no petition from Cross River State against the Governor amounts to a
deliberate concealment and a grand conspiracy against the severely impoverished people of
Cross River State of Nigeria. Nevertheless, the facts have now been put before the EFCC
for consideration. The EFCC should therefore assume greater responsibility and share a
commitment to its mission to cause appropriate investigation on the matter with a view to
recovering the huge amount of monies belonging to the poor local people of
Cross River State. It has become necessary to draw the attention of the EFCC to facts
above because the EFCC is the only properly constituted authority mandated by the Laws of
the Federal Republic of Nigeria under PART II, Section 7, sub-section “a”, of the EFCC
ACT 2004 to cause investigations on matters such as this.

PRAYER
Our prayer therefore is as follows:

1. That the EFCC should compel the Cross River State Governor to open his financial records for investigation
as an urgent matter of public interest.
2. That the 18 local government council chairmen in Cross River State should as well be compelled to open
their financial records for appropriate investigations.
3. That in the cause of carrying out the investigations, the civil society, public servants and civil servants as
well should be requested to forward useful memoranda to aid the process.
4. That only such procedure can help the EFCC to investigate and present an unbiased position on Governor
Donald Duke.

Finally, governments serve the broad public good, and the EFCC is established primarily to investigate, expose and restrain fraudulent governments from engaging in any matters that are detrimental to public trust. The EFCC should respond to their moral and constituted responsibility to ensure prudent management of local government finances and indeed public finances belonging to the poor rural people of Cross River State of Nigeria. Based on the available facts highlighted herein above, It is fervently hoped that the EFCC would respond to this matter of the Governor of Cross River State regarding the transparency and morality of his operations in the disbursement of public funds in order that the public will be in a position to adjudge Mr. Donald Duke SAINT OR SINNER,

Taken from http://nigerian-newspaper.com/governor-donald-duke.htm
Re: Donald Duke Declares For Presidency November 7 At Inter. Conference Cent., Abuja by Revolution: 4:53pm On Feb 10, 2007
Before you read that read this:

News Last Updated: Friday, 30 May, 2003, 16:16 GMT 17:16 UK LePhilippe has appeared in court, charged with conning a German businessman out of $350,000. LePhilippe was arrested on Wednesday by the anti-fraud commission in connection with a so-called "419" scam. Nigerian conmen have become notorious for duping foreign businessmen into handing over large amounts of money, on the basis that they would receive millions of dollars later on.

The Judge sentenced Lephilippe to 3 years in prison; he will be due for realease in May 2006.

+++++++

LePhilippe, so you are an ex convict?
Re: Donald Duke Declares For Presidency November 7 At Inter. Conference Cent., Abuja by BigB11(m): 5:20pm On Feb 10, 2007
I've said it before and I will say it again; Mr.Duke is a fine man, an incredible representative of Nigerian boys scout, but not ready for this major step and he knew this fact from day one.

He has done well for himself by putting his name out there. Now he has to clean up his nose or keep his nose clean for the next election (2011), may be someone will pick him up to be a running mate. Anything else will be uncivilized, no disrespect.

Running things in Cross River State is not the same as ruling the nation; hence folks should stop crying and put end to this unfeasible dream.

FACT:
Do you guys know that it is extremely easier for any governor to steal government fund compare to any other government officials?
Do you guys know that every single governor in Nigeria has not one, not two, but many bones in his closet?
And this is one of the reasons why EFCC is gradually becoming the joke of the century, because people know, believe me, they know the truth.
There is no clean fish in the pond, they are all infested with the dirty water
Re: Donald Duke Declares For Presidency November 7 At Inter. Conference Cent., Abuja by LePhilippe(m): 5:22pm On Feb 10, 2007
Revolution Please grow up. tongue Lol!!
Re: Donald Duke Declares For Presidency November 7 At Inter. Conference Cent., Abuja by LePhilippe(m): 5:24pm On Feb 10, 2007
Well said Big B1 but please i just need to know when will people in nigeria open there eyes to the extreme corruption and put an end to it!!!
Re: Donald Duke Declares For Presidency November 7 At Inter. Conference Cent., Abuja by Revolution: 7:38pm On Feb 10, 2007
Lephilippe, do you see my point? Anybody can make up a story about anybody and put it on the internet and it will seem like the truth. Don't always believe what you read, the guy who made these accusations against Duke is a fraud, even his stated office in Calabar does not exist.
Re: Donald Duke Declares For Presidency November 7 At Inter. Conference Cent., Abuja by LePhilippe(m): 7:50pm On Feb 10, 2007
I hardly think the EFCC would make such a story up!
Re: Donald Duke Declares For Presidency November 7 At Inter. Conference Cent., Abuja by Mariory(m): 8:27pm On Feb 10, 2007
The story, according to the article came from an investigative "journalist" not from the EFCC.
Re: Donald Duke Declares For Presidency November 7 At Inter. Conference Cent., Abuja by LePhilippe(m): 9:02pm On Feb 10, 2007
To be honest, I found several articles such like this scattered across the internet. Some are even hidden in the depth of Nairaland. Please, i know a relation who has lived in Calabar for 35 years and this is the reoccuring situation.
Re: Donald Duke Declares For Presidency November 7 At Inter. Conference Cent., Abuja by LondonCool(m): 9:22pm On Feb 10, 2007
LePhilippe:

To be honest, I found several articles such like this scattered across the internet. Some are even hidden in the depth of Nairaland. Please, i know a relation who has lived in Calabar for 35 years and this is the reoccuring situation.

The fact that you have a relation who has lived in Calabar for 35 years does not add credibility or authenticate your assertions. If that were to be the case then all I would have to do is to produce a relation who has lived in Calabar for 45 years to rebut your claims, may be my Grand-dad.
Re: Donald Duke Declares For Presidency November 7 At Inter. Conference Cent., Abuja by LePhilippe(m): 9:27pm On Feb 10, 2007
Do you know and naive and innocent you sound. You sound like a foreigner who doesn't know a thing about the so called Nigerian Politics. I am not saying Donald Duke has done nothing good. I am saying the amount of bad he has done cancels out the good he has done.
Re: Donald Duke Declares For Presidency November 7 At Inter. Conference Cent., Abuja by Revolution: 9:41pm On Feb 10, 2007
LePhilippe, it was these sort or allegation against Duke that made the EFCC investigate him, yes Duke was investigated, however Ribadu not only found the allegations to be false but he was so impressed by Duke's accountability and style of Governmemnt that he singled him out as an examplary Governor during his appearance before the senate.

There are so many allegations in the your initial post, however it doesn't take a genius to know that if there was an element of truth in them the EFCC would have nailed Duke by now because they are so blatant. Duke isn't stupid, even if he was to steal money, would he foolishly pay his Wife's NGO £18M though a bank account which leaves a trail of evidence. Common!

The accusation were made by:

Fredrick Osari
Executive Chairman
fredosaraqua@yahoo.com
CROSS RIVER STATE ANTI-CORRUPTION NETWORK
Suit 5, Cultural Centre Complex, Calabar Cross River State, Nigeria  

Philippe, ask your relative who has lived in Calabar for 35 years to go and look for Mr Osari at Suit 5 in the Cultural Complex, and see if he that office exists. The cultural complex is government owned so it obvious he does not have an office there, so that is his first lie. What credibility does he have left if he can't even tell the truth about where he is located. I know a few people in Calabar myself and all of them say Mr Osari is a joker. You have his email address above, maybe you can contact him and investigate whether he is not the real crook in this whole affair.

By the way, what bad had Duke done? and please don't mention any of these baseless allegations. Please tell us what bad he has done that cancels out the good.
Re: Donald Duke Declares For Presidency November 7 At Inter. Conference Cent., Abuja by LePhilippe(m): 9:50pm On Feb 10, 2007
Ok firstly!!!! It was widely announced that the Tinapa project cost $25 million dollars. Then, out of the blue, Donald claims that it costs $65 billion dollars
Re: Donald Duke Declares For Presidency November 7 At Inter. Conference Cent., Abuja by Revolution: 9:59pm On Feb 10, 2007
Those facts are wrong. Tinapa cost a lot more than that, about $350m (N45bn) but that had long being the estimate. But what has this got to do with good or bad governance. Lots of projects around the world exceed their estimates because of one reason or another. Even here in the UK the Olympics for 2012 is running well over budget, The new Wembley stadium is well over budget, Abuja Stadium cost lots more than expected. It could well be the contractors fault. This is not good example of a bad thing Duke has done becaue Tinapa is a very good thing
Re: Donald Duke Declares For Presidency November 7 At Inter. Conference Cent., Abuja by stanech: 12:25am On Feb 11, 2007
LePhilippe:

Ok firstly!!!! It was widely announced that the Tinapa project cost $25 million dollars. Then, out of the blue, Donald claims that it costs $65 billion dollars

Broda It happens every where!! ordinary to clear grass for Airport na im dem dey charge millions of dollars My broda the problem is not the money used for the project, it is if the project worked and is still working

If other governors in Nigeria had done half of what duke is doing for calarbar i bet nigeria would have been a better place by now,

Don't let sentiment get into you Duke is the best thing that has happened to Calarbar. i don't care what people say, His work is there as an evidence
Re: Donald Duke Declares For Presidency November 7 At Inter. Conference Cent., Abuja by McKren(m): 12:39am On Feb 11, 2007
LePhilippe:

absolute waste of time and space.
Re: Donald Duke Declares For Presidency November 7 At Inter. Conference Cent., Abuja by BigB11(m): 2:10am On Feb 11, 2007
So how come Mr.Duke's latest ambition did not go far, if he's such a charming governor and a magician?

Yes, as a governor of Calabar, is doing alright, but don't come here to preach to us that he is squeaky clean.  Totally rubbish!

Do you know anything about state contract in Nigeria?
Who are these contractors?
How come their initial contract estimation is always wrong or incorrect.

I hate when folks talk about things they truly do not understand.

We have 3 types of Governors in Nigeria:

1. Unfocused Governor:
He doesn't care about his state and doesn't know much about his job description or any state social and economic development. His main purpose is to accumulate wealth for self, family and friends.
Governors like this do not have any connection what so ever with locals and usually get exposed sooner or later.
Rating: 97% corrupt

2. CEO Governor:
He was already a very rich man with several successful businesses before he became the governor. This position to him is a continuation of business as usual. He cares about the people and the state, but the business still comes first. Governors like this have loyal supporters and it is also very difficult to implicate them as corrupt individual because of their financial status prior to holding the position.
Rating: 75% corrupt

3. People's Governor:
He's very charismatic, good looking, not too rich but loves people. The interpersonal skill is untouchable, very articulate, sweet and respectful. He understands poverty and sincerely wants to help his people. Corruption is not his main focus.
Governors like this are not too rich, but have extremely loyal supporters behind them. They usually do a lot for their people and state. It is also a challenging task to implicate them as corrupt governors, because of their major accomplishments for their people and states.
Furthermore, people tend not to focus on negatives and only want their governor's positive accomplishment advertised.
Rating: 55% corrupt

At the end of the day, all 3 governors are guilty of the same crime.

Which one is your governor?
Re: Donald Duke Declares For Presidency November 7 At Inter. Conference Cent., Abuja by McKren(m): 3:26am On Feb 11, 2007
So how come Mr.Duke's latest ambition did not go far, if he's such a charming governor and a magician?

Its no point arguing about this guy, he is out of the race for now. I dont wish to make much noise about him.
But the fact remains that Donald Duke in quiting the race left so many hearts broken but IBB quiting the race was a reason for most Nigerians to celebrate. That is the difference.
Re: Donald Duke Declares For Presidency November 7 At Inter. Conference Cent., Abuja by GNature(m): 4:42am On Feb 11, 2007
@bigB1

Impressive.

Could you please give me an example of an unfocused, ceo and people's governor. thanks
Re: Donald Duke Declares For Presidency November 7 At Inter. Conference Cent., Abuja by Nobody: 4:59am On Feb 11, 2007
Unfocused - Peter Odili , Lucky Igbinedion

CEO - Orji Kalu, Nnamani

People's Governor - Duke, Yar'adua
Re: Donald Duke Declares For Presidency November 7 At Inter. Conference Cent., Abuja by dblock(m): 5:02am On Feb 11, 2007
Does Donald Duke still have a chance of contesting, when I mean chance i mean 0.1, 0.2 percent, any chance at all, does he have a chance, is he even still contesting
Re: Donald Duke Declares For Presidency November 7 At Inter. Conference Cent., Abuja by GNature(m): 5:04am On Feb 11, 2007
Donzman:

Unfocused - Peter Odili

CEO - Orji Kalu, Nnamani

People's Governor - Duke, Yar'adua

lol

But Donzman, what really is the big deal about Yar 'Adua ?  

I know the EFCC gave him a clean slate, but how has he managed the funds accrued to his state since being its state executive ? I need someone to please enlighten me.
Re: Donald Duke Declares For Presidency November 7 At Inter. Conference Cent., Abuja by BigB11(m): 2:21am On Feb 12, 2007
@GNature:

Unfocused Governor: Odili

CEO Governor: Kalu

People's Governor: Duke

Bravo Donzman, you got it right.
Re: Donald Duke Declares For Presidency November 7 At Inter. Conference Cent., Abuja by LePhilippe(m): 11:04pm On Feb 12, 2007
Unfocused Governor: Igbenadion

CEO Governor: Kalu

People's Governor: None!!!!
Re: Donald Duke Declares For Presidency November 7 At Inter. Conference Cent., Abuja by BigB11(m): 11:15pm On Feb 12, 2007
I feel you on that.
Re: Donald Duke Declares For Presidency November 7 At Inter. Conference Cent., Abuja by Sundipp: 6:15pm On Mar 31, 2013
lewa: Apart from Tinapa what has he done?Please don't get carried way by public charm,poise and grammar.What is on ground in Cross River?How many youths have been gainfully employed?Rural eletrification?Adequate healthcare? Etc. I have my smoking gun ready and please respond with facts and figures and not with bias,ethnic sentiments and all other jargon

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dame Patience Jonathan's Top 10 Blunders / What Does Sai Buhari Means? / We Need A ‘Stingy Man’ Like Peter Obi To Run Nigeria – Pat Utomi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.