Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,434 members, 7,819,570 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:18 PM

Igbos Have One Advantage Over Other Nigerians????? - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbos Have One Advantage Over Other Nigerians????? (21763 Views)

How The Northerner Feels About Other Nigerians / Global Coalition Against Corruption: Diezani, Ibori, Dariye, 57 Other Nigerians. / Stop Hating Other Nigerians If You Want To Produce President –Okorocha To Ndigbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbos Have One Advantage Over Other Nigerians????? by OduaVanguard: 1:08pm On Feb 27, 2016
ikeg7416:

grin grin

The two links is ON THEIR WEBSITE you fucking dimwit. I even talked about BOTH in the first reply I gave pertaining to the propaganda.

The first link you gave is underneath their exportable products. While the other is underneath their list of exporters and exporters directory grin

The next thing this fool would go and get is the list of approved vegetables and fruits and says "it's a list not on their website" grin

Instead of making a fool of yourself, give me the 2014 Fiscal production from 2014 accredited to them. I'm waiting on it.

BTW: yeah babginda is a yoloba name for sure. How did we forget IBB is yoloba grin

Oh and tobacco is predominantly from NORTH. I only included you because, despite your inconsequential percentage to tobacco production, you desperately wish to attach to one north agriculture. While North produces tobacco the highest, the biggest biggers and consumers are SE. Therefore the money come from both, you just attache.

Finally, it went from professor in FB and fish to obiano and poultry. Next it'll be obi and groundnut grin grin

Abeg stop trying to change topic I WANT MY 2014 NON OOIL REVENUE from NEPC according to Yoloba people. I'm waiting

You "want" 2014 Non-Oil Revenue from NEPC? Guy, why not contact them so they can give you what you 'want', that way you can bring it here and claim bragging rights coz me I cannot help you o. Your problem is from the Village -- your people don swear for you. cheesy If my sources are false like you claim, why not simply provide contrary data that shows that Cocoa isn't the highest non-oil revenue earner, and that the SE is actually the largest non-oil contributor to the national coffers. I'm tired of all these back-and-forth bullshyt. Present me some contrary proof or shut tha funk up. For real!

4 Likes

Re: Igbos Have One Advantage Over Other Nigerians????? by forgiveness: 1:15pm On Feb 27, 2016
ikeg7416:

Oduduwa land? Which land, you mean the unproductive, backwards lands who only means of survival is propaganda on the media and running to FG to save am from starvation grin grin

Na who in their right mind would want to attache to South West. Even itsekiri would knock you upside your mouth and shit on your head if you call them yoloba and this one think an Asaba person would attache to you? We dey craze

As for parasite....last I checked, asaba isn't the one that oil plots and put in una unproductive region and currently battling in court to get it sent back to delta...na una
Asaba no be the one wey claim it's the king of rubber production ( BTW: rubber production in delta, anioma,, adsba included, is one of the high producing tongue)
Asaba no be the one way claim it's king in cashew production, only to cry and show pictures as "prove they produce more than IMO grin
Asaba no be the one to claim fish production and cry and steal bendel production
Asaba no be the one that claim percentage in raw, skin, hide and leather, only to find out they are inconsequential.
Asaba no be the one that claim percentage in seeds and cotton, only to find out they are inconsequential
Asaba no be the one running to FG to bail them out from their loan induced poverty
Asaba no the one that has to fabricate EVERYTHING about themselves.

Look in the mirror nigga. If you don't see a leech looking back at you, you blind as Bleep

No, i mean d one umueze attached to by force by fire for survival in Delta State na grin You know na. grin

I mean d one Olu of Warri said he belongs to. grin No be me talk am ooo! Ehn. grin "OUR FATHER'S THRONE" grin Chai!

The Itsekiris however have a different view from the Binis who believe that the Ooni of Ife is the Oba of Benin’s son. The Olu of Warri made this subtle affirmation in a 1-page ‘thank-you’ newspaper message to eminent Nigerians who graced his coronation ceremony. Thanking the royal fathers present and acknowledging the Ooni of Ife as ‘leading all kings in attendance’, the first-class monarch said: “All Royal fathers present led by His Imperial Majesty, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, the Ooni of Ife, who defied all permutations to personally attend the coronation, barely a few days after he himself ascended the ancient throne of our father Oduduwa.” shocked grin

http://dawntodusknews.com/ooni-of-ife-ogunwusi-ascended-our-father-oduduwas-throne-olu-of-warri/[/quote]

So, na only ruber Umueze dey contribute. Chisos! Dis is parasite of the highest order! grin So, u know itshekiri na ya prey kwa!

Now, tell me, how much rubber Umueze dey contribute for Nigeria?

3 Likes

Re: Igbos Have One Advantage Over Other Nigerians????? by ikeg7416: 1:15pm On Feb 27, 2016
OduaVanguard:

Guy, you are raving mad, I swear. Here's another NEPC report that is absent on their website:

http://www.nepc.gov.ng/images/list%20of%20performing%20exporters.pdf

You better start combing the world wide web for that Naij report source that way you can sleep better at night.

Please can you do us all a favour and show us YOUR own DATA from your own sources that show proves that our Cocoa isn't the highest non-oil revenue contributor? I have showed you links to reports quoting statements from a former Agric Minister affirming this. Two other separate sources also attest to it. If there are any other sources that prove otherwise, why don't you quit your foolishness and present them coz this is getting very ridiculous. For real.

ROFLMFAOOOOO

**** Since you can't read, let me use pictures.

All THREE link you just provided is ON THEIR SITE.

I combed that ENTIRE website yesterday morning to night.

Go get the list of prohibited goods too and announce its not on their site as well grin

Stop jumping around, crying, dragging whatever you think will help you save face.

I want the 2014 FISCAL PRODUCTION to NEPC.
You quoted naij. You claim you always use "credible source", now prove your credible source right.

I want to read the report DIRECTLY. Bring it out. Chop chop

1 Like

Re: Igbos Have One Advantage Over Other Nigerians????? by OduaVanguard: 1:16pm On Feb 27, 2016
ikeg7416:

grin grin grin grin

I was here expecting to see a direct quotation and even according to the post "research paper" from "omalink" from FB stating "omalink claimed 60% fish in onitsha is from Ibadan" grin

Oya produce on a link research paper. That's another I'll be waiting on. grin

I repeat again, any one that lived or even interacted with Onitsha knows how much they truly hate una. You think I despise you lots, you aunt seen shit until you see an onitsha person. They fucking rather eat a rat than eat anything from south waaste. FACT!!!!!!!!

I want "professor omalink research paper" and "2014 fiscal renvue from NEPC"

Walahi. You get serious issues o. Professor Omaliko is not a non-entity like you, he's an agric expert at the Uni of Abuja, and from the report there he actually setup a competent committee that did a thorough study on the agricultural potentials of Anambra state. If you are rejecting his submission in the context of this discussion, then you are hopeless. Sorry, I can't help you.

4 Likes

Re: Igbos Have One Advantage Over Other Nigerians????? by weedcrusha: 1:22pm On Feb 27, 2016
ikeg7416:

LMFAOOOOOOOOOO

Where is the so called source? Cause I see right there is a source listing the yam producing state. It so didn't give an overview of which state produce the highest, or least.

In addition to SALISS data.

Here's another FACT/DATA that broke down in state yam production. The production from anambra ALONE outnumber anything any state in southwaaste produced.

This another data from ANOTHER writer grin grin

Achieve your shits... Stop fabricating lies

Dude your stats and argument are totally off. You can surely do better

3 Likes

Re: Igbos Have One Advantage Over Other Nigerians????? by OduaVanguard: 1:23pm On Feb 27, 2016
ikeg7416:

ROFLMFAOOOOO

I said it before and I'll say it again YOU ARE PITIFUL with a terrible reading comprehension. Since you can't read, let me use pictures.

Go get the list of prohibited goods too and announce its not on their site as well grin

Stop jumping around, crying, dragging whatever you think will help you save face.

You quoted naij. You claim you always use "credible source", now prove your credible source right.

**** You clicked the link and it went through and does BELONG to NEPC, didn't you?? If out of everybody in the world, you, a loser and a non-entity, refuse to accept facts that are starring you in the face, why in the world should anybody give a fvck? Dude, I ain't gat time for your bullshyt. Contact NEPC and request the data you seek or shut tha fvck up. I'll be here to engage you when you come up with your own data that shows/proves that your region and not the SW is the largest non-oil revenue contributor.

3 Likes

Re: Igbos Have One Advantage Over Other Nigerians????? by ikechu1278: 1:31pm On Feb 27, 2016
OduaVanguard:

Walahi. You get serious issues o. Professor Omaliko is not a non-entity like you, he's an agric expert at the Uni of Abuja, and from the report there he actually setup a competent committee that did a thorough study on the agricultural potentials of Anambra state. If you are rejecting his submission in the context of this discussion, then you are hopeless. Sorry, I can't help you.

PROVIDE THE REPORT.

Again how HARD is this two task.

Just like NEPC has a 2014 fiscal production data correct?

grin
Re: Igbos Have One Advantage Over Other Nigerians????? by DiademSh07: 1:46pm On Feb 27, 2016
OduaVanguard:

You are a foool. You probably got banned by the anti-spam bot for entering a link incorrectly or something. Same thing happened to me which is why I changed to this moniker. You're so fvcking dumb and stvpid. Smh.
Na today you know so?
Onenaira6/ikechu/etc is the world known dullard ever liveth!
His own dullness get Phd on top head!
Dullness dey waft from every post of his!
What a loser!

5 Likes

Re: Igbos Have One Advantage Over Other Nigerians????? by DiademSh07: 1:51pm On Feb 27, 2016
ikechu1278:

PROVIDE THE REPORT.
Again how HARD is this two task.
Just like NEPC has a 2014 fiscal production data correct?
grin
weedcrusha:

Dude your stats and argument are totally off. You can surely do better
Like my commentator above stated, will you shut the fuc.k up, loser!

1 Like

Re: Igbos Have One Advantage Over Other Nigerians????? by Ikechu12781: 1:52pm On Feb 27, 2016
I am beyond CONFIDENT Oduavaguard is the one snitching to the mod.
You can't back any of your claim thus you running to daddy to help you?

Ironically enough, I got banned AGAIN by their brother AGAIN

Come tell me an antibot spanned me. Snitching @ss fool

Re: Igbos Have One Advantage Over Other Nigerians????? by orunto27: 1:53pm On Feb 27, 2016
They can escape with murder, incriminate the innocent and call wolf where there is non.
Re: Igbos Have One Advantage Over Other Nigerians????? by Ikechu12781: 1:55pm On Feb 27, 2016
DiademSh07:

Like my commentator above stated, will you shut the fuc.k up, loser!

Considering your dimwit @ss ARGUED exactly the same way in the Odua ID.

Not shocking by our brain dead ass showed up when put on hot heat to prove your DATA as usual you monkey run

Oh yeah, provide one data from me that did not correspond with any of what I said.

You are inconsequential, unproductive, propaganda community who only contribution is media propaganda.
FACT proven by the yam, cassava, fish, rubber, cashew, leather and several other production provided. In addition to the nonexisent data from NEPC
Re: Igbos Have One Advantage Over Other Nigerians????? by DiademSh07: 2:00pm On Feb 27, 2016
Ikechu12781:

Considering your dimwit @ss ARGUED exactly the same way in the Odua ID.

Not shocking by our brain dead ass showed up when put on hot heat to prove your DATA as usual you monkey run

Oh yeah, provide one data from me that did not correspond with any of what I said.

You are inconsequential, unproductive, propaganda community who only contribution is media propaganda.
This clown can't just help disgracing himself!
How does my post look like Odua Vanguard? LOL!
I don't normally have a lengthy discourse, certainly not with a dullard like you! You should know me already!
Yeye!

3 Likes

Re: Igbos Have One Advantage Over Other Nigerians????? by Ikechu12781: 2:04pm On Feb 27, 2016
DiademSh07:

This clown can't just help disgracing himself!
How does my post look like Odua Vanguard? LOL!
I don't normally have a lengthy discourse, certainly not with a dullard like you! You should know me already!
Yeye!

oh I know you. I know you the only clown on NL who always post inacuurate or falsified statement as FACT and when your on heat to provide exactly where the data came from from the agency you claimed it came from, you divert attention, screech, cry, whin, provide unrelated shits instead of doing as asked JUST LIKE ODUAVAGUARD.

I've yet to meet any two that pathetic and pitful and shameless on this site.Then again, both of you are southwaasye. The entire clan is disgustingly pathetic and pitiful. Bunch of savage losers

You can report me again me again
Re: Igbos Have One Advantage Over Other Nigerians????? by AshiwajuFoward: 2:05pm On Feb 27, 2016
Isn't the NEPC headed by Segun Awolowo (Awolowo's grandson)?
Re: Igbos Have One Advantage Over Other Nigerians????? by weedcrusha: 2:08pm On Feb 27, 2016
Reason why Igboland has a big disadvantage over other regions in Nigeria

Size

The size of the states comprising Igboland are very small. Taking it into account the landmass of Igboland by state is as follows

Abia: 6,320 sq. km

Anambra: 4,844 sq. km

Ebonyi: 5,670 sq. km

Enugu: 7,161 sq. km

Imo: 5,100 sq. km

Total of 29,095 sq. km which is not up Kwara state @ 36,825 sq. km and a little bigger than Oyo @ 28,454 sq.km

With Igbo population standing presently at 32 million, that implies that the population density of the region will be 1099.85 people per sq.km which will make it more densely populated than the most densely populated country in Africa (Rwanda @ 445 people per sq. km)

This figure explain one of the reasons why they will never stay in their region

Infertile soil

Due to the type of soil in region which is laterite red soil as well as traditional farm practices such as farm burning, it is hard for most crops to survive except crops that are tolerant to drought like Oil palm and Yam. Also, this soil type makes it difficult for commercial, residential and industrial construction as they get easily eroded

http://www.gjournals.org/GJAS/GJAS%20Pdf/2012/November/Onweremadu%20and%20Okereke.pdf

http://www.ajol.info/index.php/njser/article/view/28383

Flooding and erosion

Anambra the worst state affected by flood in Nigeria

https://www.naij.com/10793.html

Anambra the most eroded state in Nigeria followed closely by Abia, Imo, Enugu and Ebonyi

That Anambra State is the most erosion devastated state in the country is evident; that it is prone to greater ecological disaster if no serious intervention is structured to combat the awful degradation is truer. Anambra State is adjudged to be the most erosion prone and erosion devastated landscape in the world. Although other states in the south-East geopolitical zone of Nigeria have some dose of the environmental ogre, none compares to the intimidating number and sizes of the erosion sites in Anambra State. The South-East is therefore obviously threatened by a physical environment that seems ever ready to slip into nothingness.

http://dailyindependentnig.com/2013/02/anambra-state-and-the-menace-of-erosion/

Civil unrest

Due to the fact that the region is prone to civil unrest, most local and foreigner investors will find it difficult to invest in a region where there investment is not secured

Lack of natural resources

Apart from salt found in Ebonyi state, dirty coal found in enugu and meagre quantity of oil found in Abia and Imo state, the region is devoid of significant natural resources that generate revenue.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos Have One Advantage Over Other Nigerians????? by DiademSh07: 2:09pm On Feb 27, 2016
Ikechu12781:

oh I know you. I know you the only clown on NL who always post inacuurate or falsified statement as FACT and when your on heat to provide exactly where the data came from from the agency you claimed it came from, you divert attention, screech, cry, whin, provide unrelated shits instead of doing as asked JUST LIKE ODUAVAGUARD.

I've yet to meet any two that pathetic and pitful and shameless on this site.Then again, both of you are southwaasye. The entire clan is disgustingly pathetic and pitiful. Bunch of savage losers

You can report me again me again
Is that an incantation? Or kabachi?
Someone tell me what this rubbish is?
LOL!
What a dolt!

5 Likes

Re: Igbos Have One Advantage Over Other Nigerians????? by Nobody: 2:13pm On Feb 27, 2016
Loool this Ipod rapper is still here forming Jet-li grin grin The monkey has been disgraced here but he doesn't want to swallow
his pride cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Igbos Have One Advantage Over Other Nigerians????? by totit: 2:18pm On Feb 27, 2016
kaakulator3:
Loool this Ipod rapper is still here forming Jet-li grin grin The monkey has been disgraced here but he doesn't want to swallow
his pride

grin grin

How the mighty have falling cry

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Walahiii no be small thin

1 Like

Re: Igbos Have One Advantage Over Other Nigerians????? by Ritchiee: 3:10pm On Feb 27, 2016
totit:

Lamaoooo

E don do wink cheesy
Please forgive him grin
What exactly is he ranting about again,bruv?He has been severally beaten but he still came back poorly prepared with maps that he does not know how to decipher.He is surely a stubborn goat...lol

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Have One Advantage Over Other Nigerians????? by totit: 3:14pm On Feb 27, 2016
Ritchiee:
What exactly is he ranting about again,bruv?He has been severally beaten but he still came back poorly prepared with maps that he does not know how to decipher.He is surely a stubborn goat...lol

He has identity crisis.
I know onedullard too well, trust me I do more than u can ever imagine.
He's just naturally stubborn, egocentric,highly emotional and bitter. Yes, self centred too.
grin

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Have One Advantage Over Other Nigerians????? by Ritchiee: 3:29pm On Feb 27, 2016
ikeg7416:

ROFLMFAOOOOO

What are you sweating for,dude?SW was the most productive in the 60s and still the most productive till date with the exception of oil.Why give yourself HBP for nothing sake?Okay read this :

destinations-in-2014/
Ogun, Ikeja top manufacturers’ investment
destinations in 2014
While Ogun, which is now Nigeria’s
industrial hub, recorded N377 billion worth
of investments within the period, Ikeja
returned investments worth N39.86 billion.
Ogun State’s represents 78 percent of N483
billion worth of investments made in the
whole of the manufacturing sector within the
period under review, while Ikeja shares 8.3
percent.
“This has revealed that the majority of
manufacturing investments were directed
towards Ogun industrial axis, which consists
of Otta, Agbara, Ibafo/Mowe and Shagamu
industrial areas,” said MAN, in its latest
January to July 2014 economic review.
The data further show investments in Kano/
Sharada/Challawa as N19.75 billion and
those of Oyo/Ondo/Osun/Ekiti as N19.2
billion within the period under review.
Anambra/Enugu that had N5.5 billion worth
of investments.
while those of Imo/Abia were estimated at
N309 million.

http://businessdayonline.com/2015/02/ogun-ikeja-top-manufacturers-investment-destinations-in-2014/

1 Like

Re: Igbos Have One Advantage Over Other Nigerians????? by Ritchiee: 3:39pm On Feb 27, 2016
totit:

He has identity crisis.
I know onedullard too well, trust me I do more than u can ever imagine.
He's just naturally stubborn, egocentric,highly emotional and bitter. Yes, self centred too.
grin
Yea...I have seen that he is very emotional and I really pity him...
But there is nothing he can do about destiny.SW blazes the trail.We should be a little lenient with him,bruv.I saw he was talking about investment,I gave him this to chew...lol

http://businessdayonline.com/2015/02/ogun-ikeja-top-manufacturers-investment-destinations-in-2014/

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Have One Advantage Over Other Nigerians????? by Marcelini(m): 3:52pm On Feb 27, 2016
Ritchiee:
What are you sweating for,dude?SW was the most productive in the 60s and still the most productive till date with the exception of oil.Why give yourself HBP for nothing sake?Okay read this :

destinations-in-2014/
Ogun, Ikeja top manufacturers’ investment
destinations in 2014
While Ogun, which is now Nigeria’s
industrial hub, recorded N377 billion worth
of investments within the period, Ikeja
returned investments worth N39.86 billion.
Ogun State’s represents 78 percent of N483
billion worth of investments made in the
whole of the manufacturing sector within the
period under review, while Ikeja shares 8.3
percent.
“This has revealed that the majority of
manufacturing investments were directed
towards Ogun industrial axis, which consists
of Otta, Agbara, Ibafo/Mowe and Shagamu
industrial areas,” said MAN, in its latest
January to July 2014 economic review.
The data further show investments in Kano/
Sharada/Challawa as N19.75 billion and
those of Oyo/Ondo/Osun/Ekiti as N19.2
billion within the period under review.
Anambra/Enugu that had N5.5 billion worth
of investments.
while those of Imo/Abia were estimated at
N309 million.

So much lies and propaganda, yet this https://www.nairaland.com/2732630, is the reality of things.
Re: Igbos Have One Advantage Over Other Nigerians????? by Ritchiee: 3:54pm On Feb 27, 2016
ikeg7416:

ROFLMFAOOOOO

bumoha1978@yahoo. com
v I thank my friend and Junior brother, Mr. Sam
Nda-Isiah, for inviting me to speak at this
important forum on what to do to reverse de-
industrialization in Northern Nigerian. When the
invitation was extended to me, I asked of the topic
I am to speak on and I was not given any. All my
brother wanted me to do at this Conference is to
set the tone for the experts invited to do justice to
the topic under discussion. My role therefore is
not to talk of how industrialists are to access funds
from the banking system nor even to talk on such
general issues as the importance of finance to
industrialization:
v I have been invited to contextually put Northern
Nigeria amongst other regions in Nigeria and could
easily have compared Northern economy and its
Southern Counterpart. I have chosen not to go this
route because, I want us all to see that geography,
history and the Obasanjo administration and its
reform agenda have created four (4) fairly distinct
economies in Nigerian. We as Northerners need to
appreciate where our economy currently stands
amongst other economies in Nigeria so as to
appreciate the kind of race we have to run if we
are to remain relevant in Nigeria.
v On the basis of ownership and/or control of
resources that make for economic development,
post-Obasanjo Nigeria in terms of strength could
easily be categorized into 4 economies as follows:
a) South West Economy;
b) South East plus Delta Economy;
c) Northern Economy; and
d) South South minus Delta Economy
v The four economies mentioned above are fairly
distinct with each growing at its own pace. The
South Western economy is growing at a faster rate
than all followed by South East plus Delta economy
whilst those of the North and South South minus
Delta could at best be described as stagnant. A
simple analysis of these four economies is given
below:-
a) South West Economy
South Western Nigeria with a Land Mass of 76,852
square kilometres and population of 25.2 million
today owns and/or control 60% of the nation’s
industrial capacity, 44% of banking assets, 67% of
insurance assets and is house to the nation’s
three deep sea ports of Apapa, Tin Can Island and
Roro; the busiest international airport of Ikeja, three
thermal stations of Egbin, Papalanto and
Omotosho. Today, its three major industrial
estates of Agbara, Ikeja and Otta are all linked to
gas under the West African gas pipeline plan and
piping of gas is ongoing from Otta to Abeokuta.
Added to these, the South Western population
today is the most educated as western education
came through there and education as a resource
was democratized since the early sixties.
Geographical location, democratization of western
education, availability of resources enhanced in
last 9 years and some empowerment during the
Obasanjo administration have collectively enabled
the South Western economy to rank as first of the
four economies in Nigeria. Today, the South West
as a region can boast of having a defined growing
middle class and is perceived to have at least
20,000 of its indigenes with net worth of over
N100m each. Take it out of Nigeria, the South
West economy with is defined growing middle
class and resources, will be one of the fastest
growing economies in the world.
b) The South-East plus Delta
The South Easterners plus their cousins across the
Onitsha bridge control commerce in all parts of
Nigeria and are thus largely employed. The region
has clusters of small scale industries around
Nnewi and Aba. The banking consolidation has
assisted these people to now have ownership and
or control of over 50% of Nigerian banking assets.
It also controls 21% of the nation’s insurance
assets and 20% of industrial assets. With this
development, this region which has not had a
commanding control over Nigerian economy will
certainly begin to do that now. Commercial
activities backed by finance can only grow the
economy of South-East plus Delta. The growing
strength of financial muscle of this region has been
aptly demonstrated by the recent licensing of Micro
Finance Banks. Of the over 600 MFBs recently
licensed by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN),
Anambra State alone had 74 whilst Yobe State had
1, Sokoto 5, Zamfara 6, etc. There exists also in
this economy a middle class which will now grow
itself in number and financial muscle and will
almost certainly grow its economy inclusive
particularly of small and medium sized industrial
base.
c) The Northern Economy
The North which geographically is 719,435 Square
Kilometers or 79% of Nigeria’s landmass and has
75 million or 53.6% of Nigeria’s population has its
economy as a consequence of various reforms
introduced, been totally grounded. Today, the
North has ownership and/or control of no more
than 3% of banking assets and 2% of insurance
assets and 10% of industrial assets. True, the North
has a huge landmass but this has remained under
exploited due to jettisoning of time tested policies
of price support (as a result of abolishing of
marketing boards without putting alternatives) and
abandonment of extension services and quality
control. Also, the North has a huge population but
the population has remained largely uneducated
and/or half educated because of near failure of
governance in certain States and Local
Governments. Currently its most distinguishing
characteristic is grinding poverty. Recent poverty
statistics indicate that the poverty level of States in
the North has been on the increase in the last 9
years and reached over 80%. Its two commercial
and industrial nerve centers (Kano and Kaduna)
have seen industrial capacity utilization decline to
an all time low of less than 10%. The textile,
automobile and beverages companies that thrived
so impressively in the 1970s and 1980s have
collapsed rendering thousands jobless. Although
hydroelectricity is generated at Kainji Dam and in
lesser quantities at Shiroro Gorge and at several
smaller sites, the entire mechanisms are run on
very obsolete equipment and the performance is
consequently very epileptic and unsuitable for
meaningful economic activity.
d) The South South minus Delta
The South South is largely in the creeks of Niger
Delta and has therefore a small land mass of only
48,321 square kilometers and is populated by 13.6
Million people. Notwithstanding the fact that it is
house to Nigerian Oil wealth, this region exclusive
of oil company activities like the North is also
backward economically. It controls no more than
3% of banking assets, 10% of insurance assets and
no more than 10% of industrial assets on account
of oil related industries that the indigenes do not
control. Furthermore, its overstretched land mass
has suffered considerable degradation and its
aquatic life destroyed. As a region, its people and
economy are worst off than the North as it lacks
fresh environment, water and even good air to
breath.
v Geography, history and particularly the reform
agenda of Obasanjo’s regime have created above
very dangerous economic structure in Nigeria. By
design or by accident Northerners and South
Southerners as peoples and regions have been
made third and fourth class citizens. We may well
choose to ignore these happenings and pretend
that they have not happened but doing so will be
at the peril of the Nigerian Polity. It is indeed in the
interest of the South Westerners and the South
Easterners for some affirmative actions to be taken
to redress the situation else there will be no real
peace in this country moving forward. The so
called “religious disturbances” in the Northern
States and the Port Harcourt conundrum of kids of
less than 15 years carrying guns and terrorizing
the population will not stop until these imbalances
are consciously addressed and redressed. As the
saying goes “where the poor does not sleep
because of hunger, the rich too will not sleep
because of robbery”.
v To complement whatever redress may be agreed
to by the polity to help the grinding poverty and
unemployment in the North and South South
economies we the peoples of these regions need
to also help ourselves as nobody will develop our
regions for us. I see this Conference as one of the
avenues that my be used to chart a course for the
North. Undoubtedly, reviving collapsed and
collapsing industries and building new ones will
help. To be able to achieve these and grow the
Northern economy, we MUST:
a) Democratize education by making it available to
all our brethren in both quantity and quality. The
system we are to evolve must include the
“almajirai” and urban poor that cannot be wished
away. There is indeed a correlation between
education and development and it is only by
educating our youth that they can begin to be
productive and by so doing, we shall grow the
middle class needed to sustain economic growth;
b) Consciously fight corruption and theft of
government resources at all levels. So long as
thievery continues to be perpetrated by Northern
elites in government unchecked, so long we shall
continue to drift further from the promised land.
Furthermore, continuous thievery as we are
witnessing in our recent history is preventing the
emergence of a credible leadership in the North.
We have in recent past had enough resources in
our States and Local Governments to revert the
ugly social trends in our Northern Society but the
resources were and are being stolen;
c) Demand of the Federal Government for the
development of energy sector in other areas as
done to South West. For the North, this could be
achieved by fast tracking the construction of
Gembu and Zungeru Hydro Power Stations and
upgrading of Kainji Stations by putting more
turbines as well as extending the gas pipeline from
Ajaokuta to Kano via Kaduna with a tee off at
Funtua and Gusau so as to service existing
industries and encouraging the emergence of
others;
d) Demand for the moderation of certain policies of
previous administrations which ruined Northern
economy as implementation of undiluted market
oriented reforms as we have seen do not bring
about human development. Furthermore, any
policy by any Government which hurts majority of
its people no matter how good need be
reexamined. Government should all be about
improvement of the welfare of its citizens and not
pauperizing them.
e) Make agriculture an economically viable activity
as it is the only way that we can use in making
our people have purchasing power to support any
industrial rebirth as whatever is produced must be
sold and for it to be sold, it needs a population
that has purchasing power. Agriculture need to be
made viable within the shortest possible time by:
i) Supporting price of agricultural produce by
reintroducing price and quality support as done by
the defunct Marketing Boards; and
ii) Improving yield of farmers through extension
services, use of good seeds and the research
results lying on the shelves of our research
institutes nationwide.
f) Erect on the gas pipelines to be laid jointly with
our Governments and other Nigerians, at least
three Urea plants in Kogi, Niger and Kaduna States
as a means of making fertilizers available to our
peasant farmers at affordable prices. Such a move
will make available to our farmers fertilizers at no
more than half of their current prices without any
subsidy and the subsidy could go to its area of
most need, price support.
g) To ameliorate the negative consequences of not
having banking industry in our region, urgently
work with our States and Local Governments to
create in the next two years, 9 regional banks as
follows which would ensure that all the Local
Government headquarters in the North have bank
branches in the next 4 years.
S/No. States to Cover Headquarters
1 Kaduna/Katsina Katsina
2 Kano/Jigawa Jigawa
3 Sokoto/Kebbi/Zamfara Sokoto
4 Borno/Yobe Damaturu
5 Yola/Taraba Yola
6 Bauchi/Gombe Bauchi
7 Benue/Plateau Makurdi
8 Nassarawa/Niger Lafia
9 Kogi/Kwara Ilorin
Additionally, our rich businessmen should be
urged to set up as many unit banks as possible to
complement the regional banks.
v Finally, distinguish ladies and gentlemen, one
would want to humbly suggest on industrialization
that our focus in the immediate future should be
on small and medium sized industries that are to
process for local or export markets, agro allied
products. My choice for small and medium sized
industries is informed by the fact that they require
less capitalization to set up and also less energy
and skill to run. Processing of agro allied products
will impact positively on growth of agriculture, the
mainstay of Northern economy. For now and until
we move as a community from agriculture to
industry, our growth economically is tied down to
agriculture.
I do hope the above views and suggestions will
help discussants and participants alike in analyzing
the declension into which the entire Northern
Region has been plunged over the last couple of
decades. I hope this Conference will also set in
motion a process of economic revival in the entire
North and I sincerely commend Leadership for
organizing this Confab.
Happy deliberations:

http://www.gamji.com/article6000/NEWS7879.htm

gamji.com
Re: Igbos Have One Advantage Over Other Nigerians????? by Marcelini(m): 3:55pm On Feb 27, 2016
Ikechukwu, Job well done, with a well stocked Arsenal of facts and figures, you decimated their lies and propaganda and left them clutching at ad hominem attacks.

What an exhilarating performance, a real Ekumeku e- war general you are, Odogwu Agu Dike!

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Ize-Iyamu: Presidency Asks PDP To Sack Bala Mohammed Before Criticising Buhari / EFCC Seizes 13 Cars From Ex-Osopadec Boss Over N530m Fraud / Abba Moro Says FG Will Soon Introduce E-Prison System

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.