Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,558 members, 7,812,791 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:24 PM

PDP Will Bounce Back-Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PDP Will Bounce Back-Jonathan (23593 Views)

PDP Will Reclaim Power In 2019 – Fayose Assures, Reacts To Court Judgment / PDP Will Collapse If I Defect To APC – Ebonyi Governor, Umahi / PDP Will Bounce Back – Sheriff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

PDP Will Bounce Back-Jonathan by Nnabugwu8590: 7:05am On Feb 26, 2016
Former President Goodluck Jonathan was in Geneva, Switzerland on Wednesday as a guest of the Geneva Press Club. In this interview with France 24’s Georja Calvin-Smith, the former Nigerian leader spoke on why, for now, he wouldn’t want to talk about the arms scandal rocking his legacy since he left office. He also promised that the PDP will bounce back.

France 24: It’s been a tough year for Nigeria and a tough year arguably for your legacy as the former leader of the country. Your former security adviser, Sambo Dasuki, is currently standing trial for fraud, alleged to have taken billions of dollars of public funds meant for the fight against extremists from Boko Haram. Now, were you at the time aware of any improperly sourced funds funnelled into your re-election campaign of 2015?

Goodluck Jonathan: Thank you. Of course, this issue continues to come up but I always insist that the matters are being investigated and they are in our own courts and in Nigeria when issues are before the courts, you don’t make comments on it. It is considered prejudice. But one thing you will also realise is that for us to have conducted elections across the country – all parts of the country – that means that we prosecuted the war against Boko Haram to a reasonable level, otherwise we couldn’t have been in position to conduct elections across the country and we couldn’t have fought Boko Haram with bare hands. These issues of corruption, issues of misuse of funds are being investigated before the courts and I wouldn’t want to compromise the position of our laws because while I served as the president of Nigeria, I made sure that the judiciary remained independent and made sure there was maximum separation of powers between all arms of government. Having left office, I don’t think I will be the person to say things that will be detrimental to the judicial processes.
So, outside of the case itself, let’s say that there are misdeeds, which have been proven to have been committed during your tenure. Would you feel responsible for any oversight...?
Please, I will not comment in these areas. They are sensitive areas; I wouldn’t want to create more problems for my country.
Even hypothetically?
Please, please.

Over the last year, there has been arguably quite a lot of progress in the battle against Boko Haram extremists. Do you feel that the speed with which progress is being seen on the Buhari is tarnishing your legacy?

Well, I wouldn’t want to make comments that will appear as if I am having a debate with the serving president. I have served the country for five years as a president, three years as a vice president. I’ve tried my best and I’ll encourage the government to continue.

So, how do you feel about progress made in the battle against Boko Haram since you left last year?

I can’t comment about what is happening now. It will not be proper as a former president to start making comments - positive comments or negative comments - but I can tell you that when Boko Haram started in Nigeria, we had no terror experience. We never experienced terror before. Yes, we had robbery and other common crimes but terrorists are people that are not afraid to die. So you need a different mechanism to confront terrorists; you need superior technology so to be able to stop them before they are able to attack. So, we never had the equipment but when we were confronted, we started acquiring and before I left office, we built reasonable capacity. And I believe with what we left behind, and of course, with what the new government will also acquire, they will be able to prosecute this terror war to a reasonable conclusion.

So, what are you comfortable commenting on? Why are you in Geneva?

I’m in Geneva because a particular organisation actually invited me to come while serving as the president but I was unable to. But even after I finished serving, because of the circumstance of the election, because I ensured there was peaceful transition, we were quite pleased and they said they wanted to honour me. I just came to Geneva for that.

What are the biggest changes you have seen under Buhari?

I don’t think it is proper for you to drag me. Please, please, please. I think as a former president, it’s not too good for me to start commenting on issues about my county. If I get back to Nigeria, anything I think to discuss with the president, I will discuss with the president. I have access to the president. So, I will not come and start discussing Nigeria...
But surely there must be some noncontroversial issues or positive issues or positive advancements or positive developments in your country that you will be comfortable sharing with us.
One clear thing about Nigeria that you should appreciate is that we are institutionalising democracy. I believe with a stable government, quite a number of things that people look at as grey will soon be a thing of the past. Most societies passed through this phase of development, even the developed societies. We’ve read the history of almost all nations and every nation passed through different stages. And God willing, Nigeria will soon stabilise and we are progressing very well.

Since you left, your PDP parting is taking a bit of battering. Do you think it has suffered under Buhari at all?

Well, the PDP, definitely we have some minor issues but it is expected. We were in power for 16 years and when we lost the presidency, definitely we’ll have some sort of leadership problem because when you have a president, everybody looks up to the president. But when you no longer have the president, it becomes difficult for the party to have a very strong leadership. I believe whatever you observed will be sorted out and the leaders of the party, elders of the party will be meeting and all these perceived disagreements will soon be sorted out.
On perceived disagreements, prior to your leaving, there were quite a few fractures within the PDP.
Well, every political party always have those misunderstandings. It’s not new; it’s always there. The beginning of PDP, even before I got to Abuja as vice president and president, there were cases where chairmen of the party were asked to step down for some officers and from time to time, there are issues. So, it is not new. What is happening is not new. But I promise you that PDP will stabilise. In fact, by March this year, we are going in for our convention to elect officers at the lowest level of the wards through the local governments, through the states through the zones. Then, of course, the national officers will be elected. That’s just in March, early April. So, the party will bounce back. Whatever you perceive, it always happens and we will get over it. But thank you for the interest.
Thank you very much.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/pdp-will-bounce-back-jonathan/131276.html?platform=hootsuite#TTwPtjVdrlqyTCJ0.99

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: PDP Will Bounce Back-Jonathan by FreemanDave(m): 7:06am On Feb 26, 2016
Okay

1 Like

Re: PDP Will Bounce Back-Jonathan by Parcks(m): 7:12am On Feb 26, 2016
We are waiting...

1 Like

Re: PDP Will Bounce Back-Jonathan by Oladimejyyy(m): 7:20am On Feb 26, 2016
Otueke drunkard...how far naare you preparing to join your mates at kuje prisonBOUNCE BACK KOR BOUNCE EAST NI

69 Likes 4 Shares

Re: PDP Will Bounce Back-Jonathan by naijaboy756: 7:25am On Feb 26, 2016
Pls do oga Jona. Forgive Nigerians. We didn't know it will turn out to be this way. Had I known comes @ the end. It is not even the end yet and everyone is saying 'had I known'. APC is a huge scam!

116 Likes 13 Shares

Re: PDP Will Bounce Back-Jonathan by hucienda: 7:26am On Feb 26, 2016
What are the biggest changes you have seen
under Buhari?

I don’t think it is proper for you to drag me.
Please, please, please. I think as a former
president, it’s not too good for me to start
commenting on issues about my county. If I
get back to Nigeria, anything I think to
discuss with the president, I will discuss
with the president. I have access to the
president. So, I will not come and start
discussing Nigeria...

This man is a gentleman and behaves with statesmanlike mien.

OBJ should learn this from him and President Shagari.

144 Likes 18 Shares

Re: PDP Will Bounce Back-Jonathan by Bishops10(m): 7:28am On Feb 26, 2016
Your source bro....Abi you just the write epistle
Re: PDP Will Bounce Back-Jonathan by Nnabugwu8590: 7:47am On Feb 26, 2016
Bishops10:
Your source bro....Abi you just the write epistle
My dear, hope you have seen the source. In addition, the below is the link: www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/pdp-will-bounce-back-jonathan/131276.html
Thanks for your observation.

3 Likes

Re: PDP Will Bounce Back-Jonathan by Pidggin(f): 7:49am On Feb 26, 2016
God bless GEJ

81 Likes 7 Shares

Re: PDP Will Bounce Back-Jonathan by drey076(m): 7:49am On Feb 26, 2016
Joke of the day

11 Likes

Re: PDP Will Bounce Back-Jonathan by Tunami(m): 7:53am On Feb 26, 2016
vision 2050

6 Likes

Re: PDP Will Bounce Back-Jonathan by yaqq: 7:54am On Feb 26, 2016
Gej....smart @ skipping question

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Will Bounce Back-Jonathan by Siberia101: 8:08am On Feb 26, 2016
Yes in 2035

4 Likes

Re: PDP Will Bounce Back-Jonathan by funlord(m): 8:13am On Feb 26, 2016
grin

Look who is talking? The buffon that led to their demise! Lolz

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Will Bounce Back-Jonathan by koboko69: 8:19am On Feb 26, 2016
naijaboy756:
Pls do oga Jona. Forgive Nigerians. We didn't know it will turn out to be this way. Had I known comes @ the end. It is not even the end yet and everyone is saying 'had I known'. APC is a huge scam!

Sharap iPOD. You and ur family never voted for Buhari...how could u be saying had i known?

Sensible Nigerians are supporting Buhari, only IPODs like u that will never get over Jonathan's loss are still dancing unclad on every thread wailing.

101 Likes 11 Shares

Re: PDP Will Bounce Back-Jonathan by babyfaceafrica: 8:24am On Feb 26, 2016
Lolz..in 2059

8 Likes

Re: PDP Will Bounce Back-Jonathan by DONSMITH123(m): 8:40am On Feb 26, 2016
he finally found his voice

1 Like 1 Share

Re: PDP Will Bounce Back-Jonathan by Nobody: 8:40am On Feb 26, 2016
is this comedy half hour?

11 Likes

Re: PDP Will Bounce Back-Jonathan by toboreSPECs: 8:40am On Feb 26, 2016
After your bad rulership don knock the party out abi....

Teacher: Akpors I hope you are good with your tenses?

Akpors: Yes sir.

Teacher: If I say 'PDP will bounce back again' what tense is that?

Akpors: Future impossible Tense sir

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Will Bounce Back-Jonathan by Nobody: 8:40am On Feb 26, 2016
After everything happening around, I don't know if either PDP or APC can handle this country. It's just like Christianity and Islam in the past.... If your pastor instructs you then a Muslim man tells you otherwise, you'll be confused as to which to agree on because they're both trust worthy. Today though, if my pastor instructs me and a Muslim tells me otherwise, I won't accept any of them because they're both (could be) telling lies. That's it for PDP and APC... None of them are trust worthy anymore.

God bless my hustle
God bless NIGERIA

6 Likes

Re: PDP Will Bounce Back-Jonathan by centyboy: 8:41am On Feb 26, 2016
vanity upon vanity... cry

2 Likes

Re: PDP Will Bounce Back-Jonathan by Holyfield1(m): 8:41am On Feb 26, 2016
Bounce back?..To Where?

8 Likes

Re: PDP Will Bounce Back-Jonathan by Shegebanti007: 8:42am On Feb 26, 2016
PDP Bounce back where? ok i now know where they would bounce to, GUTTER.

5 Likes

Re: PDP Will Bounce Back-Jonathan by sunnyuche1(m): 8:43am On Feb 26, 2016
[Sharap iPOD. You and ur family never voted for Buhari...how could u be saying had i known?

Sensible Nigerians are supporting Buhari, only IPODs like u that will never get over Jonathan's loss are still dancing unclad on every thread wailing.]

I sincerely hate APC supporters. Bunch of suffering n smiling e-diots. Hypocrites! angry

Before u start quoting me for trash sake , I'm neither parties' supporter . embarassed

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Will Bounce Back-Jonathan by Sunnycliff(m): 8:44am On Feb 26, 2016
PDP can come back if they can reverse these trends created by the Scamming APC ZOMBIES government

• Dollar was 180 and without Corruption Dollar is now 355

• Rice was N8,500 and without corruption it is now N15, 000

• Pampers was N1,450 and without corruption it is now N1,850

• Petrol was N87 and available; without corruption it is now N120 and scarce

• Garri was N250, without corruption it is now N500

• Transportation was N5000 Owerri - Abuja, without corruption it is now N7000.

• Poor Electricity, tariff was not increased during corruption, now about 40% tariff increase without corruption but worst power supply

• Presidency Food was N1billion, but without corruption it is now N2billion

• Presidential Jets maintenance was N600/year, now N2.5billion in just 4 months without corruption

• Aso Rock Clinic maintenance was N500million, now N3.9billion without corruption.

• Vice President was paid N75million for reading just books; without corruption the Vice President will be paid N430million

• We didn't pay rent in Aso Rock; without corruption we will be paying a rent of N350million to an invisible landlord.

• Rats never ate our budgets, but rats now snuggle fictitious unimaginable figures into our budgets without corruption

78 Likes 16 Shares

Re: PDP Will Bounce Back-Jonathan by appini: 8:44am On Feb 26, 2016
Correct!
Re: PDP Will Bounce Back-Jonathan by Beehshorp(m): 8:44am On Feb 26, 2016
GEJ my hero... A definition of a true gentleman... A lover of peace.. God bless u sire..

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: PDP Will Bounce Back-Jonathan by thefakestan: 8:44am On Feb 26, 2016
Bouncing like BBall

ThefakeStan

1 Like

Re: PDP Will Bounce Back-Jonathan by Nobody: 8:44am On Feb 26, 2016
Qzaxcdsewqtfcguhbvjinkomlp
Re: PDP Will Bounce Back-Jonathan by ZUBY77(m): 8:44am On Feb 26, 2016
Food for children of hate.
Let me just relax and read their hate filled comments from their frustrated black hearts.

14 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Policemen Playing WHOT At Unity Fountain Abuja While On Duty (Pics, Video) / Fayemi, Bisi Egbeyemi Get Certificates Of Return From INEC / Remove Fuel Subsidy, Face Our Wrath - NLC, TUC Warn Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.