Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,727 members, 7,827,644 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:40 PM

Ghana, The True Gaint Of Africa? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ghana, The True Gaint Of Africa? (5714 Views)

Poll: who is the True Giant of Africa?

Ghana: 15% (5 votes)
Nigeria: 34% (11 votes)
South Africa: 50% (16 votes)
This poll has ended

Who Is Africa Number 1 Economy Gaint / Is Nigeria Really The Gaint Of Africa? / Read This! Is Nigeria The Gaint Of Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ghana, The True Gaint Of Africa? by yoruba: 3:12pm On Jul 13, 2009
To my opinion, Johannesburg will become africa's New York and Cairo will be Africa's London
Re: Ghana, The True Gaint Of Africa? by RSA(m): 3:43pm On Jul 13, 2009
And Abuja will be our Paris,Accra our Rome.
Re: Ghana, The True Gaint Of Africa? by adconline(m): 4:49pm On Jul 13, 2009
Anglo gold was the first African company to be on new york stock exchange by Sam jonah of Ghana.
Re: Ghana, The True Gaint Of Africa? by deb(m): 9:05pm On Jul 13, 2009
South Africa and Egypt are the only countries on the African continent that can be called "powers" ,  Nigeria has not yet even come close to living up to its true potential. The Nigerian economy is smaller than that of small minor European countries like Belgium or Greece despite its oil and is less than 2/3 the size of South Africa's despite have more than twice as many people,  Nigeria is no giant in any area except population!

We have the brightest brains in Africa take it or leave it. Our music industry is second to non in Africa,
How about the banking industry and our growing economy that has defered all permutations despite the corrupt
leadership of Nigeria?
Re: Ghana, The True Gaint Of Africa? by naliakar: 9:20pm On Jul 13, 2009
@Deb
Our music industry is second to non in Africa[color=#000099][/color]

Not true. Music industry is most developed in Congo than anywhere else in Africa. Check your facts.
Re: Ghana, The True Gaint Of Africa? by MandingoII(m): 9:22pm On Jul 13, 2009
Ghana got the JUICE now.

They got NAME RECOGNITION in Asia, America and Europe.
Re: Ghana, The True Gaint Of Africa? by oyinda3(f): 9:25pm On Jul 13, 2009
so r u going to claim Ghanaian now or what?'cause it'll be great if you can find your way out of NL. lol
Re: Ghana, The True Gaint Of Africa? by Yuno: 11:00pm On Jul 13, 2009
We have the brightest brains in Africa take it or leave it. Our music industry is second to non in Africa,
How about the banking industry and our growing economy that has defered all permutations despite the corrupt
leadership of Nigeria?

hmmm well my guess i ssouth africa has far more highly skilled workers than nigeria based on the structure of its economy, but seriously there are probably more of Nigeria brightest brains working in London or New York or Houston than in Lagos, and music is not something you can build an economy on,,, none of the richest or most powerful countries in the world are where they are becuase of their music industry, and the Nigerian banking system is miniscule compared to that of South Africa's much less Europe
Re: Ghana, The True Gaint Of Africa? by yoruba: 7:11am On Jul 14, 2009
adconline:

Anglo gold was the first African company to be on new york stock exchange by Sam jonah of Ghana.
(needs a citation)
I dont know where you get your facts from but Anglo Gold is a South African Company.
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AngloGold_Ashanti
Re: Ghana, The True Gaint Of Africa? by RSA(m): 7:42am On Jul 14, 2009
deb:

Our music industry is second to non in Africa,

What does music has to do with being a Giant of Africa? and beside the giants of music in Africa are people like Salif Keita,Baaba Maal,Yousou N'dour,Fela and Femi Kuti,Ladies Black Mambazo,Soweto Gospel Choir,Brenda Fassie,Yvonne Chaaka Chaaka,Lucky Dube,Paapa Wemba,Angelo Kidjo,Tuface,Ismael Lo ask any African if they know this people majority will say yes.You see there is no country that is dominating music in Africa,but if the is then my bad.
Re: Ghana, The True Gaint Of Africa? by deb(m): 1:31pm On Jul 14, 2009

hmmm well my guess i ssouth africa has far more highly skilled workers than nigeria based on the structure of its economy, but seriously there are probably more of Nigeria brightest brains working in London or New York or Houston than in Lagos, and music is not something you can build an economy on,,, none of the richest or most powerful countries in the world are where they are becuase of their music industry, and the Nigerian banking system is miniscule compared to that of South Africa's much less Europe

Huh! Just yesterday, it was in the news on radio that Nigerian Banks Overtake South African banks.
Sorry I don't have any more sources than what I heard on the radio yesterday else I would have provided it.

To answer your question on the music industry, do you know how many self-made millionaires the music industry is producing
yearly in Nigeria? That surely should affect the economy positively somehow, and that is aside the trend taking potential criminals off the streets.
Re: Ghana, The True Gaint Of Africa? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jul 14, 2009
Topic.

That can 't BE
Re: Ghana, The True Gaint Of Africa? by deb(m): 1:55pm On Jul 14, 2009
If the truth must be said, Nigeria is just about 10years old in democracy.
A lot of our potentials were subdued by the military. I think we are just always too hard on ourselves
and that is why the world does not see us as young democracy but a bunch of just corrupt people,
which is not the real truth. The problem of Nigeria is caused by a few but the noise about the deeds are so
much that you will think no other country does it like we do.

Within the space of 10years, a lot has happened positively to Nigeria but we just will not talk about it, we'll rather
make noise about the negative and the hypocritical world media are happy to use us get popular. In my book
Nigeria is still the true giant of Africa. We had our own problems yet we still went to South Africa to fight the apartheid
regime, our foolish leaders did same for so man other African nations even though all we get back is HATE HATE HATRED.
Nigeria needs to wake up.
Re: Ghana, The True Gaint Of Africa? by yoruba: 2:27pm On Jul 14, 2009
In my opinion, Egypt(North Africa) was the most powerful region in the ancient times, Ghana(West Africa) was the most powerful region in the medieval ages, Ethiopia(East Africa) was the most powerful country in the colonial days, South Africa is now the powerful country in all of africa grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Ghana, The True Gaint Of Africa? by kuramo: 2:39pm On Jul 14, 2009
Is Ghana a Giant of Africa ?

Let's look at the facts,

In terms of the relative strength of the economies of Ghana, Nigeria,Egypt and South Africa.

South Africa has the most robust economy on the African continent and Ghana has the weakest ( smallest ) amongst these four countries.

The Gross Domestic Product ( GDP ) which represents the market value of all final goods and services in a given year shows that in 2008,

South Africa's GDP was  $ 277,188 Million ( 277.188 Billion USD )
Nigeria's GDP  =  $ 214,403 Million ( 214.403 Billion USD )
Egypt's  GDP =  $ 162,164 Million ( 162.164 Billion USD )
Ghana's GDP =  $ 16,124 Million  (  16.124 Billion USD )

This clearly shows that Nigeria has the second largest economy in Africa and it terms of growth potential, one needs to take into account the population figures.

Nigeria's population is estimated at 148,235,170 ( roughly 150 Million ) , Ghana has only about 30 Million whereas Egypt has about 76 Million.

I believe these facts should speak for themselves in answering the question about which country is the true giant of Africa.  Ghana is a darling of a lot of European countries because
they like the fact that Ghana( in a lot of instances) is a charity case, Ghana is a top recipient of overseas aid from Europe and the US.  

Nigerians should worry more about growing our own economy instead of discussing Ghana.
Our true goals should be how to overtake the South African economy and that is where the challenge lies.
Re: Ghana, The True Gaint Of Africa? by yoruba: 2:47pm On Jul 14, 2009
kuramo:

Let's look at the facts,

In terms of the relative strength of the economies of Ghana, Nigeria,Egypt and South Africa.

South Africa has the most robust economy on the African continent and Ghana has the weakest ( smallest ) amongst these four countries.

The Gross Domestic Product ( GDP ) which represents the market value of all final goods and services in a given year shows that in 2008,

South Africa's GDP was  $ 277,188 Million ( 277.188 Billion USD )
Nigeria's GDP  =  $ 214,403 Million ( 214.403 Billion USD )
Egypt's  GDP =  $ 162,164 Million ( 162.164 Billion USD )
Ghana's GDP =  $ 16,124 Million  (  16.124 Billion USD )

This clearly shows that Nigeria has the second largest economy in Africa and it terms of growth potential, one needs to take into account the population figures.

Nigeria's population is estimated at 148,235,170 ( roughly 150 Million ) , Ghana has only about 30 Million whereas Egypt has about 76 Million.

I believe these facts should speak for themselves in answering the question about which country is the true giant of Africa.  Ghana is a darling of a lot of European countries because
they like the fact that Ghana( in a lot of instances) is a charity case, Ghana is a top recipient of overseas aid from Europe and the US.  

Nigerians should worry more about growing our own economy instead of discussing Ghana.
Our true goals should be how to overtake the South African economy and that is where the challenge lies.

Thats when I disagree, the fact is Angola is the fastest growing economy in africa(6th in the world) and at the rate they're going, they will take over South Africa By 2035.
Angola is Africa's potential Giant and South Africa is Africa's current Giant, end of topic.
Re: Ghana, The True Gaint Of Africa? by Fhemmmy: 2:55pm On Jul 14, 2009
Ghana has shown Africa the true meaning of Democracy.
Ghana stands for peace and stands for maturity, growth and Development in the making"
Ghana will soon be the new face of Africa, i hope they will not make the mistake that Nigeria made
Re: Ghana, The True Gaint Of Africa? by GR1: 7:01pm On Jul 14, 2009
To be honest. Nigeria is a potential Giant of Africa. lets be frank it takes a whole lot to become a Giant of Africa, you must have a model goverence, economy, instituition, and social values. And to my knowledge Ghana fits the spot.
Re: Ghana, The True Gaint Of Africa? by MandingoII(m): 7:42pm On Jul 14, 2009

Let's look at the facts,

South Africa's GDP was  $ 277,188 Million ( 277.188 Billion USD )
Nigeria's GDP  =  $ 214,403 Million ( 214.403 Billion USD )
Egypt's  GDP =  $ 162,164 Million ( 162.164 Billion USD )
Ghana's GDP =  $ 16,124 Million  (  16.124 Billion USD )

Ghana have 25 million people.  Nigeria has 150 million

you do the MATH.

Ghana's economy CAN sustain its people.  Nigeria have half as many people as America and CANNOT sustain its people.

Over 70 percent of Nigeria's money is being STOLEN by its government.

[b]
Ghana's government is investing its money in the countr[/b]y.

You simply cannot compare the two.  Ghana is on the UPSWING.  Whereas Nigeria is going BACKWARDS in a contracting Global economy.  Thing are going to get WORSE AND WORSE in Nigeria if its government does not begin providing Good Governess.
Re: Ghana, The True Gaint Of Africa? by jimmysho(m): 8:20pm On Jul 14, 2009
when people talk of giant. i puzzle because, giancy if u will permit me is not measure by western acceptability. fine, obama had A STOP OVER in ghana after the summit does that account for ghana being. what are the indices to measure a giant? it is there we will be able to objectively determine who the giant of africa is.

below index can be used temporarily:

1. GDP
2. POPULATION
3.ECONOMY SIZE
4. EXPORT QUANTITY
5. MILITARY STRENGTH

let stop at that for now and put all the significant and relevant African nations side by side. then we will put ghana where it belong
Re: Ghana, The True Gaint Of Africa? by wandecoal(m): 9:03pm On Jul 14, 2009
No!.Where do u want to put Tunisia,South Africa,Ivory Coast,Egypt,, but Nigeria no dey cos dat our president na something else

and again population too much.
Re: Ghana, The True Gaint Of Africa? by samparian(m): 5:28am On Jul 15, 2009
yoruba:

Thats when I disagree, the fact is Angola is the fastest growing economy in africa(6th in the world) and at the rate they're going, they will take over South Africa By 2035.
Angola is Africa's potential Giant and South Africa is Africa's current Giant, end of topic.

we are talking of the present, not the future. a lot can happen within 26 years.
please stay focused. grin
Re: Ghana, The True Gaint Of Africa? by Nobody: 5:44am On Jul 15, 2009
samparian:

we are talking of the present, not the future. a lot can happen within 26 years.
please stay focused. grin

Not a bad thing to know, is it?

How u dey?
Re: Ghana, The True Gaint Of Africa? by samparian(m): 5:45am On Jul 15, 2009
my brother, i dey o.

how your side?
Re: Ghana, The True Gaint Of Africa? by Nobody: 5:51am On Jul 15, 2009
Quiet and peaceful as usual.
But the temperature is suicidal. . . . 38*c.
Re: Ghana, The True Gaint Of Africa? by makib: 9:21am On Jul 15, 2009
Nuzo, i just got a call that Nigerians are rioting in Guangzhou china, because another nigerian died while being chased by immigration police.
are you in that city?
Re: Ghana, The True Gaint Of Africa? by samparian(m): 10:31am On Jul 15, 2009
from all indications, it seems that south Africa is the emerging giant.
Re: Ghana, The True Gaint Of Africa? by Ben13: 11:33am On Jul 15, 2009
It's now like there's nothing good about our Nigeria.
Re: Ghana, The True Gaint Of Africa? by adconline(m): 8:02am On Jul 23, 2009
yoruba
I dont know where you get your facts from but Anglo Gold is a South African Company.
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AngloGold_Ashanti

Do ur research beyond wikipedia.
Anglogold merged with Ashanti Gold fields, but it was mainly an operation ochestrated by Ashanti and it was ably led by Sam Jonah from Ghana and it was the first African company to be listed on NYSE
Re: Ghana, The True Gaint Of Africa? by yoruba: 8:10am On Jul 23, 2009
Anglogold merged with Ashanti Gold fields, but it was mainly an operation ochestrated by Ashanti and it was ably led by Sam Jonah from Ghana and it was the first African company to be listed on NYSE
Could you show me your reference then. undecided
Re: Ghana, The True Gaint Of Africa? by adconline(m): 8:20am On Jul 23, 2009
Re: Ghana, The True Gaint Of Africa? by yoruba: 8:29am On Jul 23, 2009
In 1996 Ashanti became the first African operating company listed on the New York Stock Exchange.
You have a point there, but
finalized its sale to South African behemoth AngloGold to create the world's second biggest gold miner, AngloGold Ashanti.
Anglo Ashanti is at present a South African company.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Breaking News! Otunba Dipo Dina Assasinated / Police Kill Seven Alleged Kidnappers In Akwa Ibom - SaharaReporters / Yakubu Dogara Receives Zik Prize In Leadership Award.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.