Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,693 members, 7,820,420 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:30 PM

We Didn't Do Anything Wrong Nokia CEO Cries Out - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / We Didn't Do Anything Wrong Nokia CEO Cries Out (37783 Views)

"Apple Is Not Consumer Friendly" - Zuckerberg Fires Back At Apple's CEO Tim Cook / 5 Cool Things You Can Do On Whatsapp You Probably Didn't Know About / The Real Meaning Of 9mobile, Etisalat’s New Name – CEO Makes Revelation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong Nokia CEO Cries Out by InwehAkpevwe(m): 12:06pm On Mar 01, 2016
... You did a lot of wrong when you chosed Windows instead of Android os
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong Nokia CEO Cries Out by Nobody: 12:06pm On Mar 01, 2016
Its their fault, how can they chose windows over Android
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong Nokia CEO Cries Out by Nobody: 12:07pm On Mar 01, 2016
Rise and fall
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong Nokia CEO Cries Out by ibnhasan: 12:07pm On Mar 01, 2016
In this age, the race is neither to the swift nor the strong, it is to those who are most adaptable to change.

1 Like

Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong Nokia CEO Cries Out by Nobody: 12:09pm On Mar 01, 2016
Segadem:
op, it's no about money ish, but they fail to meet the people's demand in a sky-rocket age in world of technology.

The problem was they did not adapt to new trends
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong Nokia CEO Cries Out by Buhariisah(m): 12:11pm On Mar 01, 2016
Learn from Samsung, kakushin Chinese saying infact
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong Nokia CEO Cries Out by redcliff: 12:12pm On Mar 01, 2016
Nsonaso:

If not for the money that was offered to them by Microsoft to partner with them, there would have embrace Android.

Then I personally sent them a message listing various Nokia phones I've used including their Serial numbers to justify my claims telling them the need to embrace Android that Android is the future (Which I believe other Nokia die hard fan did same) but they blatantly refused.

Because there never put their customers first nor value their reputation...

The money was huge because all other brands HTC, Samsung etc has tested Windows Phone OS and discovered it was a plague and they all left Windows phone OS in mortuary.

Microsoft knew Nokia goodwill that people must buy one's is Nokia and that's why they choose Nokia and finally ruined them

i dont get you folks. why do you all keep saying that they should have embraced android. Did apple do that? But they are competing heavily with samsung in all ramifications. It was not about the OS. It was more of not innovating and seeing that the market was gradually changing and going with it. Apple has always been apple OS, but they are still doing fine so stop that Android, no android adaptation crap.

2 Likes

Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong Nokia CEO Cries Out by Patented: 12:14pm On Mar 01, 2016
Nokia shld hv gone for the Android OS very early on when it was clear for all to see that it was the OS of the future. imagine Nokia's rugged hardware and solid battery combined with Android OS......sweeet.
However it was no surprise that Nokia opted for windows mobile when it did. It was a coup. the CEO of NOkia at the time was a one time Head of the Business Division of Microsoft and after purchase of NOkia he went back to head the Microsoft Devices Group. he was the linchpin that Microsoft used to enter the mobile devices market.
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong Nokia CEO Cries Out by richpro101: 12:18pm On Mar 01, 2016
It's a pity though
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong Nokia CEO Cries Out by Nobody: 12:23pm On Mar 01, 2016
victorels:
failure became imminent when they began to think about their product than than customer.

Sad, something tells me that blackberry is next.
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong Nokia CEO Cries Out by Reality2020(m): 12:32pm On Mar 01, 2016
Op source pls Op source pls
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong Nokia CEO Cries Out by CioAngels(f): 12:37pm On Mar 01, 2016
Nokia did not think about we loyal customers, to date nokia is my phone. So, nokia, what will happen to nokia addicted users.
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong Nokia CEO Cries Out by hesiod: 12:37pm On Mar 01, 2016
Empires rise and fall. It's either you thrive or die.
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong Nokia CEO Cries Out by cocoduck: 12:38pm On Mar 01, 2016
The only phone i can use comfortably is Nokia
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong Nokia CEO Cries Out by Ijaya123: 1:04pm On Mar 01, 2016
onyenze123:
Nokia collapsed because they were too reluctant to adapt to changes thereby creating a dominant vacuum which was exploited by apple and cemented by Samsung. Apple came up with a better smartphone design, Samsung came with a revolutionary design and andriod , blackberry with BIS and BBM then Nokia was reluctant to react because of internal conflict of interests among shareholders.

Point of correction. Samsung did not come with any revolutionary phone design, Apple did and Samsung copied.

Samsung also didn't come out with Andriod, Google did.
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong Nokia CEO Cries Out by Nobody: 1:06pm On Mar 01, 2016
No, Nokia lost many years ago when they refused to switch to android, but continued using the old fashioned symbian OS.
Samsung immediately saw the potential in android and jumped ship. I also stopped using Nokia in 2009 after being a fan for many years(3310, 7210, 6630 and N97. From year 2002 - 2009) since they refused to adopt Android. I dropped them and moved over to HTC, I was even angry at myself back then for being a loyal fan for too long as my first Android express was awesome.

Alot of people stopped buying their products when they refused to adopt Android. Back then, a Nokia with an Android OS would have dominated all other phone and the phone market, since Samsung was just struggling to get a fair share of the mobile phone market.
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong Nokia CEO Cries Out by laidback(m): 1:10pm On Mar 01, 2016
Yeah. Of course hindsight is 20/20

!
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong Nokia CEO Cries Out by nnamdiosu(m): 1:22pm On Mar 01, 2016
Nsonaso:
Nokia CEO ended his speech saying this “we didn’t do anything wrong, but somehow, we lost”.

During the press conference to announce NOKIA being acquired by Microsoft, Nokia CEO ended his speech saying this “we didn’t do anything wrong, but somehow, we lost”. Upon saying that, all his management team, himself included, teared sadly.

This is what happen when you place money first, not minding your reputation and how your customers will feel.

Nokia has been a respectable company who has enjoyed goodwill for a very long time in mobile phone manufacturing business. But everything changed when they partnered with Microsoft to run third party proprietary Plague Mobile OS (Windows Phone OS) instead of the ever fast growing open source Mobile OS (Google Android OS) on their devices.

The moral of the story is that there come a time when money should not be placed first but your reputation and that of your customers.

The issue of nokia is the same issue that almost occurred with mtn Nigeria. when a company, brand or product believes that it is invincible, cannot be done without, supreme e.t.c, because of a large patronage of customers, then that company is on a brink of bankruptcy.
Noikia did many wrong things, but majorly, they refused to accept change. Even a whole black berry bowed to the pressure of adopting the android mobile OS. They had their chance but they refused to follow the current trend. EVEN ANDROID OS TOO WILL GIVE WAY FOR IN THE FAR FUTURE FOR ANOTHER NEW BRAND THAT SOMEONE OR SOME COMPANY IS MAKING.
Result?
R.I.P to the first mobile phone brand i ever knew. i'LL TELL MY GRAND CHILDREN ABOUT YOU.

1 Like

Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong Nokia CEO Cries Out by Nobody: 1:29pm On Mar 01, 2016
redcliff:

i dont get you folks. why do you all keep saying that they should have embraced android. Did apple do that? But they are competing heavily with samsung in all ramifications. It was not about the OS. It was more of not innovating and seeing that the market was gradually changing and going with it. Apple has always been apple OS, but they are still doing fine so stop that Android, no android adaptation crap.
If you compared Android's earlier release and nokia's symbian, they looked very similar. Android was more powerful, and looked like a revamped version of Symbian. Hence, Symbian users felt at home with Android, and found it easy to navigate around the OS since it was very similar to the Symbian they were used to. Most of the people that jumped on the Android bandwagon where symbian fans. Nokia lost them all to other phone makers that adopted Android OS.

Apple iOS was in a different league of its own, it had absolutely nothing in common with Android or Symbian. Infact Apple OS was everything a Symbian fan hated i.e Paying premium price for apps. Not being able to explore a phones storage using file explorer, or manually install cracked softwares downloaded from the internet. Symbian gave it's users such freedom, and Android gave them much more.
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong Nokia CEO Cries Out by texazzpete(m): 1:34pm On Mar 01, 2016
Android ke

Sony is losing money with Android

Samsung's sales are falling

HTC is nearly bankrupt with Android

LG is struggling with phone sales.

By the time Nokia made the deal with MS, Nokia was already struggling to sell their Series 60 phones. Microsoft promised a lot of cash injection and a pledge to Nokia to allow them make a lot of changes. It was a better deal than what Google was offering.

Yes, Microsoft messed up with Windows Phone, but at the time Nokia made the decision, WP was still a viable alternative with a decent future ahead of it.

The OP is ignorant.
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong Nokia CEO Cries Out by ojeota(f): 1:35pm On Mar 01, 2016
It is a pity.
They refused to follow the New trend together with customers interest in demand. Change is the only thing that is constant.
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong Nokia CEO Cries Out by redcliff: 1:35pm On Mar 01, 2016
princey83:

If you compared Android's earlier release and nokia's symbian, they looked very similar. Android was more powerful, and looked like a revamped version of Symbian. Hence, Symbian users felt at home with Android, and found it easy to navigate around the OS since it was very similar to the Symbian they were used to. Most of the people that jumped on the Android bandwagon where symbian fans. Nokia lost them all to other phone makers that adopted Android OS.

Apple iOS was in a different league of its own, it had absolutely nothing in common with Android or Symbian. In fact Apple OS was everything a symbian fan hated i.e Paying premium price for apps.

well, whatever made apple apple, is what made nokia, nokia. Like I said, saying nokia would have adapted android is like saying apple should have done the same too..the only thing nokia failed to do what innovate when it was needed not switching to the bandwagon...

1 Like

Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong Nokia CEO Cries Out by FISHMOONEY: 1:37pm On Mar 01, 2016
Nokia time was up!

Same way the Finnish guys pushed Motorola out is the same way they were pushed out..

They made the same mistake MOTO did...funny but true

the very book "Why smart executives Fail" comes to mind..

Blackberry is really doing a lot not to go the Nokia way... just don't know if they will succeed...

well...maybe trying out the windows OS might have sounded a good idea at a point in time...its all hindsight now.
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong Nokia CEO Cries Out by Nobody: 1:43pm On Mar 01, 2016
redcliff:

well, whatever made apple apple, is what made nokia, nokia. Like I said, saying nokia would have adapted android is like saying apple should have done the same too..the only thing nokia failed to do what innovate when it was needed not switching to the bandwagon...
I get your point but they were very slow since symbian was a propriety software. Android was busy doing the innovation for them as it was an open source software right from day one. Android developed at a very fast pace cos everyone was involved. Before Nokia took a step, Android had already taken 20 steps.
Nokia realized that the freedom Android offered was due to it being an open-source. Nokia hurriedly consolidated all it's S60 series OS and made them open-source, but it was already too late. The ship had set sail.

Their OS being similar, with Android offering more freedom for its users made it easy for symbian users to jump ship, and ultimately helped in accelerating Nokia's downfall.

Apple has always had a cult-like following that were satisfied being in jail. They had to jailbreak their OS to get some of the freedom Android OS users were enjoying. lol. Apple lost some fans to Android too, but not significant enough to affect their share of the phone market.
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong Nokia CEO Cries Out by Nobody: 2:06pm On Mar 01, 2016
texazzpete:
Android ke

Sony is losing money with Android

Samsung's sales are falling

HTC is nearly bankrupt with Android

LG is struggling with phone sales.

By the time Nokia made the deal with MS, Nokia was already struggling to sell their Series 60 phones. Microsoft promised a lot of cash injection and a pledge to Nokia to allow them make a lot of changes. It was a better deal than what Google was offering.

Yes, Microsoft messed up with Windows Phone, but at the time Nokia made the decision, WP was still a viable alternative with a decent future ahead of it.

The OP is ignorant.

The decline isn't totally unexpected. The decline has nothing to do with android, but more largely because of increased competition by Chinese smartphone manufacturers like Huawei and Xiaomi. Techno also has an established base for consumers in Africa grin

Consumers now look out for designs and other extra added features in phones that they won't have to fork out so much money for. I moved to HTC after I left Nokia, but they also lost a good share of the market because they are always very slow to update their OS. e.g it took them almost 1 year + to update my HTC Ace from a froyo to ginger bread. The annoying aspect of it was that they kept changing the release date. Alot of their customers got tired of waiting for an update, and some like myself moved on.

The competition is tough out there. Samsung making curved screen, Sony releasing 4k resolution phones, Huawei finger print recognition e.t.c

Huawei, however, is on the rise, and it's sales is expected to grow by 40 percent this year. I hope to change my phone to the Huawei Nexus 6p before mid-year. It's a Nexus just like the Motorola I currently use. It gets updated by Android almost immediately as soon as a new Android OS is released.

Alot of people out there are dumping their Samsungs wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong Nokia CEO Cries Out by jantavanta(m): 2:27pm On Mar 01, 2016
martineinstein:
Most hardware companies don't last..IBM, Nokia,Sony,HTC, blackberry etc are examples of falling/fallen hardware companies.... Apple is likely the next to fall

I am not into Apple products. But is Apple still really a hard ware company? I recall that Apple revived by bringing back Steve Jobs with his internet-enabled operating system and changing from proprietary processors to Intel processors
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong Nokia CEO Cries Out by obidevine(m): 2:35pm On Mar 01, 2016
donbrowser:
I patiently wait for the day Blackberry will lament like this

Hello hater
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong Nokia CEO Cries Out by SkinnyDude(m): 2:36pm On Mar 01, 2016
Nsonaso:

If not for the money that was offered to them by Microsoft to partner with them, there would have embrace Android.

Then I personally sent them a message listing various Nokia phones I've used including their Serial numbers to justify my claims telling them the need to embrace Android that Android is the future (Which I believe other Nokia die hard fan did same) but they blatantly refused.

Because there never put their customers first nor value their reputation...

The money was huge because all other brands HTC, Samsung etc has tested Windows Phone OS and discovered it was a plague and they all left Windows phone OS in mortuary.

Microsoft knew Nokia goodwill that peopl must buy one's is Nokia and that's why they choose Nokia and finally ruined them
eg. nokia lumia, right?
i hate that phone with passion
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong Nokia CEO Cries Out by wizzymate(m): 2:46pm On Mar 01, 2016
Still don't know why Nokia abandoned meego os.
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong Nokia CEO Cries Out by martineinstein(m): 2:53pm On Mar 01, 2016
jantavanta:

I am not into Apple products. But is Apple still really a hard ware company? I recall that Apple revived by bringing back Steve Jobs with his internet-enabled operating system and changing from proprietary processors to Intel processors
Apple is 100% hardware company... In fact, iPhone generates 95% if it's revenue... Once iPhone sales falls Apple dies.... Tim cook can't lead Apple to greatness
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong Nokia CEO Cries Out by Doubleagent008(m): 2:55pm On Mar 01, 2016
Okpueze1:
My Nokia N8 I bought in 2012 is still waxing strong with the follow come battery. The pix quality is unbeatable! I love Nokia!
I tell ya! That phone rocked my world. As far as camera goes, nokia 808 pure view is still the best I have seen. As far as nokia's downfall goes I believe it was solely of their doing. Imagine them dumping a flagship Os (symbian series) and two potential flagships(maemo and meego) for a new Os that is totally anti- Nokia and own by a new company in the telecom biz. Bad move! Lumia Os was a bad deal for them and I think it finally destroyed. We have just witnessed the demise of a Telecom mega-giant. Apple and samsung were mere watcher who had strong holds in their little niche. Stephen Elopp is either unfortunate or a bad luck or a unfit CEO. He was at the centre of it all. But I think Nokia had a good run and it's sad to see them lose like this.
Re: We Didn't Do Anything Wrong Nokia CEO Cries Out by Doubleagent008(m): 3:31pm On Mar 01, 2016
wizzymate:
Still don't know why Nokia abandoned meego os.
*fistbump!* i wonder too. That was their game changer. With that Os they were at s5/iphone 5 level at 2010/2011. It was a self evolving os. A powerful system.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Sign Unsigned Sis Files To Your S60v3 / Calabar Becomes Nigeria’s First Digital City / See What Happens On. The Internet Every 60 Seconds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.