Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,037 members, 7,814,544 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:44 PM

URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? (22409 Views)

Scammed By A Nigerian Friend In The US / Was I Wrong Because I Said 'ok'? / Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by placeofallure(f): 10:27pm On Mar 11, 2016
Lol.....No! You weren't scammed, You've just been Punked!
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by Nobody: 10:27pm On Mar 11, 2016
Try stop further transaction by blocking your ATM card. Somebody must have collected your card details
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by olumaxi(m): 10:28pm On Mar 11, 2016
20k for dis dry season.....visit an herbalist first b4 any oda tin
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by Icaretoo: 10:28pm On Mar 11, 2016
Guy I said credit or debit alert?check check..

It also could be an error on the part of ur bank undecided
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by Personmama: 10:28pm On Mar 11, 2016
Not yet.
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by Chukky86: 10:28pm On Mar 11, 2016
Its called.. Skimming.. They must swap your atm card from where you last purchase. For you not have suspected they charge your card from lagos. They made a clone copy of your card.
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by ommie(m): 10:28pm On Mar 11, 2016
You were not scammed; you were fooled
You must have been looking at a lady's bumbum when the guy at the POS was busy playing a fast one on you.
your money have gone it have tayed
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by Nobody: 10:28pm On Mar 11, 2016
Zico5:

Why re u so insensitive like this.
Like seriously
But I guess you meant insensible
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by David0(m): 10:29pm On Mar 11, 2016
Report to ur bank with details of the 2 debit alerts. Cos both transactions will be compared on ur statement.

But first be sure u didn't do that transaction.
Why I said so is cos, u probably did that transaction long enough but didn't get the alert. The alert probably came in same time with d latest transaction.

But if both transaction statements indicate that the transactions were done same time, then thr may likely b a fraud incidence, Cos u can't be in Ibadan n ikeja at same time.

So my advice is u check urside properly regards d times involved in those transactions and if u did any online transactions as well.

If ur certain u didn't initiate that transaction, then report to ur bank as soon as possible to report d incidence as well as block ur atm n request for a new one.

The bank will investigate.

In Nigeria u can't tell how long it will take, cos our banks here may not put so much effort in the investigation looking at the amount.
So I ll suggest u keep pressuring ur bank.
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by Harvigh(m): 10:30pm On Mar 11, 2016
Before the payment was approved, was there anytime during payment that a network glitch occurred? Reason for the question being that due to poor network reception, the transaction might not go through yet your money will be deducted...banks normally return the money withing 24hours depending on your choice of bank.
Where u watching the attendant as he entered the amount?
I would advice you get ur card blocked ASAP and wait for maybe 24hours, if its an error from your bank they will definitely refund you if not, run there first thing on monday morning. Jah bless!
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by deparagon(m): 10:31pm On Mar 11, 2016
[color=#000099][/color]
Girltee1:
Please I'm really sorry this post is going to be a bit long.

I went to a supermarket today to get stuff. I bought stuff worth #1040 and paid using POS. My phone was off as at the time of payment.

When I got home and charged my phone, I immediately saw alerts..
One showing a debit alert of #20,000 and another showing a debit alert of #1,040. Both transactions were done using POS..
I was shocked because I never bought anything worth #20,000...
And the #20,000 credit alert showed that the POS was used in Ikeja, Lagos...but the supermarket I bought things at is in Ibadan.

My question now is, can I get my #20,000 back or have I been permanently scammed?embarassed
Or has this ever happened to anybody??

snapshots of the debit alert or we dnt bilivit undecided
Girltee1:

I went to a supermarket today to get stuff. I bought stuff worth #1040 and paid using POS. My phone was off as at the time of payment.

One showing a debit alert of #20,000 and another showing a debit alert of #1,040. Both transactions were done using POS..
And the #20,000 credit alert showed that the POS was used in Ikeja, Lagos...but the supermarket I bought things at is in Ibadan.

My question now is, can I get my #20,000 back or have I been permanently scammed?embarassed

snapshots of the debit alert or we dnt bilivit
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by Nobody: 10:31pm On Mar 11, 2016
Icaretoo:
Guy I said credit or debit alert?check check..

It also could be an error on the part of ur bank undecided

Sensible fellow
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by jeebz: 10:31pm On Mar 11, 2016
What supermarket did you visit? It is possible that the supermarket is registered in Lagos, hence the debit narration. If you are sure you did perform the 20k txn. Call your bank and you would be advised.
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by Chukky86: 10:34pm On Mar 11, 2016
Girltee1:

The last place you used your card was were your card got compromised. It really not new crime. Arrest the last person that attended to you at the supermarket since it was the last place you used your card. They some how copy your card info.. It can be through a hidden camera.

2 Likes

Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by Rexious(m): 10:34pm On Mar 11, 2016
Yeah. U have been scammed big time. Banks warns their customers to always be on d lookout whenever they are paying with POS. All they need is to swipe ur card on a debit reader to get ur info. Don't just handover ur card to d attendant, look at what they are doing with ur card. Contact ur financial institution that issued d card n let them take appropriate action.
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by Rexious(m): 10:36pm On Mar 11, 2016
Chukky86:

The last place you used your card was were your card got compromised. It really not new crime. Arrest the last person that attended to you at the supermarket since it was the last place you used your card. They some how copy your card info.. It can be through a hidden camera.

GBAM!
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by Girltee1(f): 10:46pm On Mar 11, 2016
bignero:
Ive had this same issue with GTbank............infact several pos deduction i dont know anything about

i reported the first one they said they will look into it...before i knew it, twice it happened again...when even the first one was yet to be reverted

the worst part is i noticed when i casually checked my transactions on line, it was when i saw this( imagine the millions of people that dont check their transactions on line) also ive applied severally times for sms notification all to no avail, i wont be surprised if they have insiders working with them

@op take your case to the appropriate authorities..ie the bank head, if they are sluggish look for the nearest efcc office and lodge the complaint..

what bank is it?
Thanks for your help.
It's Gtb.
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by David0(m): 10:48pm On Mar 11, 2016
Harvigh:
Before the payment was approved, was there anytime during payment that a network glitch occurred? Reason for the question being that due to poor network reception, the transaction might not go through yet your money will be deducted...banks normally return the money withing 24hours depending on your choice of bank.
Where u watching the attendant as he entered the amount?
I would advice you get ur card blocked ASAP and wait for maybe 24hours, if its an error from your bank they will definitely refund you if not, run there first thing on monday morning. Jah bless!

This wud hv bn the case if the amounts involved were same, like he said, they are not same #1040 & #20000. Also, the transactions wud be in same location and not Ibadan n ikeja.

Am thinking the #20,000 transaction may be either an online or a transaction with a late debit alert due to poor mobile network reception.
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by psyqs(m): 10:49pm On Mar 11, 2016
[size=16pt]That POS machine is easy to hack, they collect ur card details. Sorry OP[/size]
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by Girltee1(f): 10:53pm On Mar 11, 2016
Strahovski1:
If you don't mind can I see a screenshot of the debit alert? I have my reasons.

It may be an online POS transaction

Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by bignero: 10:55pm On Mar 11, 2016
Girltee1:
Thanks for your help.
It's Gtb.

sigh ....na wha oo, its a scam babe, i wont be surprised if the scammers are working hand in hand with elements in the bank

dont mind people making jests of you, their money is probably being deducted as well, they are here laughing.....

20k is much , firstly lay the complaint with them, but you have no reason to panic.....though they are yet to resolve mine, ive reduced my transaction with them and hardly save money in the account.

mine was POS transaction in VI

another in lekki

another, i cant recall....people better check your accounts somthing fishy is ongoing.....and the worse part is i had sms notification before, they stopped it, i applied again and again no response.....

GT
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by Nobody: 10:55pm On Mar 11, 2016
englishmart:
whether or not you were scammed, that's you business

hahahahaah, u badt ghan. Best reply so far.
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by ministeriallist: 10:56pm On Mar 11, 2016
Call your bank customer care line to block Atm/pos/web on your account immediately
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by ivylyn: 11:00pm On Mar 11, 2016
[sub][/sub]
Girltee1:

Girltee1:

Girltee1:

you saw debit and credit at d same tym. how is dat possible?
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by Harvigh(m): 11:01pm On Mar 11, 2016
David0:

This wud hv bn the case if the amounts involved were same, like he said, they are not same #1040 & #20000. Also, the transactions wud be in same location and not Ibadan n ikeja.

Am thinking the #20,000 transaction may be either an online or a transaction with a late debit alert due to poor mobile network reception.

That was why i said she should get her card locked ASAP because the whole thing doesn't add up at all
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by David0(m): 11:03pm On Mar 11, 2016
Harvigh:

That was why i said she should get her card locked ASAP because the whole thing doesn't add up at all

Yeh dats d next reasonable thing. Block d card.
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by tolexontop: 11:03pm On Mar 11, 2016
Op, you must have paid for something online through your card that worth 20k ( probably your school fee) . If so relax, your bank would credit you back as soon as possible.
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by shamecurls(m): 11:04pm On Mar 11, 2016
Edo people re pinging your ATM card from Lagos
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by PussyKrook: 11:08pm On Mar 11, 2016
Girltee1:

Hi, What just happened to you is called skimming. It is a technique employed by cybercriminals to get details of your card. How does it work? Every debit or credit card has a black magnetic strip behind. This black strip contains encoded information of your card details such as your card number, Security or verification code, expiration dates, etc. Criminals can have access to these data if you swipe or transact at a POS. This happens alot at supermarkets, filling stations, hotels, cafes, restaurants, etc. In fact virtually every place that can be compromised.

Your card details were Copied where you last transacted. It is definitely a scam.

My advice is that you should immeditely block your card, if not they will continue taking money from it intill it is maxed out.

You can recover your money if you act diligently enough. I advice you to make a complaint within 24 Horus to your bank. Or send an email now.

Make sure to include all details. However, do not show that you were unduly negligent in carrying out your transactions, you have show that you acted diligently. Involve the police and efcc if possible.

Good Luck
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by debedebe(m): 11:09pm On Mar 11, 2016
Girltee1:

@ OP,U said 20k credit alert showed that the POS was used in IKeja... so WHY complaining? read ur post...
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by debedebe(m): 11:10pm On Mar 11, 2016
Girltee1:

...When I got home and charged my phone, I immediately saw alerts..

@ OP,U said 20k credit alert showed that the POS was used in IKeja... so WHY complaining? read ur post
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by Urine: 11:19pm On Mar 11, 2016
Girltee1:

The person that attended to you in that Supermarket must have used a card skimmer. Which exact supermarket in Ibadan did this happen?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Free Sachet Pure Water Business Plan / Raymond Dokpesi Steps Down As DAAR Communications Chairman / Naira: LASU Employee Trying To Withdraw Cash Dies In Bank Queue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.