Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,107 members, 7,814,884 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:06 PM

URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? (22413 Views)

Scammed By A Nigerian Friend In The US / Was I Wrong Because I Said 'ok'? / Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by Damsonkc(m): 11:35pm On Mar 11, 2016
I've watched a report on how such a scam is done. The attendant at the supermarket has an 80% chance of being the culprit. They have a hidden camera that records your card details as you enter them and when you go, it is easily cloned and they'd proceed to do whatever they like on your account. I'm sorry you have to pass through this. First thing to do now is to block the card, launch complaints with your bank and the police.

Good luck.

1 Like

Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by bodyloveghetto(m): 12:11am On Mar 12, 2016
cycline404:
This one is really gidigan.
Hard to explain

Go to your bank get your statement, use that to file a report, the POS will have a serial which your bank can work with to get the exact location, then the Store camera can be used to check the person who use the POS at the exact time of the transaction.

Na Yankee u de abi? U de talk like say u no sabi 9ja bank n their wayward/rude act towards customers... mtchew na there she go sleep...

Btw I was not going to comment on this topic if not for the reply.... sis uve been scammed... accept it.
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by Strahovski1(m): 12:18am On Mar 12, 2016
Someone as copied your card.

Report to your bank ASAP.
[quote author=Girltee1 post=43691928][/quote]
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by landedproperty: 12:24am On Mar 12, 2016
wellcome to the 21St century. i am also dealing with an atm issue at the moment.
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by momysgirly(f): 2:34am On Mar 12, 2016
Evathyst:
Odikwa very serious! sad shocked

Although, I'm not alien to technological errors. But this your own case is a bit unusual. #20,000 on a transaction that allegedly took place in Ikeja whereas you're in Ibadan. Eehh eehh? undecided undecided

I hope it's not GTB? Na them they use style style kpansh somebody money like that. Although it has happened to Dad before, but his own case was even ridiculous. Here's someone who has never activated his ATM before talkless of using it.

My advice for you is that you quickly call your Bank's customer service to block your card first. After which you should storm their branch on Monday with better craze. When I mean better craze, I meant that kind of craze that you would nak.ed yourself and fight everyone in the bank (Both customers & Bankers). Only then will you see your money. But if you act gentle with them, na sorry go be your name.

#MyOneKoboAdvice#
Lwkmd
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by diva90: 2:34am On Mar 12, 2016
Yes you can get your money back. It's happened to me before, I was once fraudulently debited of N108,000 before. Called my bank immediately I noticed the alert . Infact I was at home when the alert came in saying that the purchase was made at a particular store in the US and my card had been debited, so you can imagine the shock I went through. Upon calling my bank, The bank blocked the card and investigation commenced. I was able to get my money back almost 2 and half months after I reported the incidence. So your own matter na small thing considering the amount involved in your case, just report it on time so that they can commence recovery efforts.
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by enemachris(m): 2:46am On Mar 12, 2016
[Sorry about dat my sister, dat POS u used might be a cloned POS used in defrauding customers by fraudulent merchants. My advice for u is to contact ur bank to deactivate ur card to avoid further deduction. quote author=Girltee1 post=43689887]Please I'm really sorry this post is going to be a bit long.

I went to a supermarket today to get stuff. I bought stuff worth #1040 and paid using POS. My phone was off as at the time of payment.

When I got home and charged my phone, I immediately saw alerts..
One showing a debit alert of #20,000 and another showing a debit alert of #1,040. Both transactions were done using POS..
I was shocked because I never bought anything worth #20,000...
And the #20,000 credit alert showed that the POS was used in Ikeja, Lagos...but the supermarket I bought things at is in Ibadan.

My question now is, can I get my #20,000 back or have I been permanently scammed?embarassed
Or has this ever happened to anybody??

[/quote]
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by enemachris(m): 2:48am On Mar 12, 2016
[Sorry about dat my sister, dat POS u used might be a cloned POS used in defrauding customers by fraudulent merchants. My advice for u is to contact ur bank to deactivate ur card to avoid further deduction. If not, they will still hit ur card again cus we recieve complaints like urs on a daily basis. qkuote author=Girltee1 post=43689887]Please I'm really sorry this post is going to be a bit long.

I went to a supermarket today to get stuff. I bought stuff worth #1040 and paid using POS. My phone was off as at the time of payment.

One showing a debit alert of #20,000 and another showing a debit alert of #1,040. Both transactions were done using POS..
And the #20,000 credit alert showed that the POS was used in Ikeja, Lagos...but the supermarket I bought things at is in Ibadan.

My question now is, can I get my #20,000 back or have I been permanently scammed?embarassed

[/quote]
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by Nobody: 2:49am On Mar 12, 2016
Dongreat:
When did Seun or Moderators became FBI, or the bank officials. Instead of you to make a call to the bank head office or branch you went to your phone, switched on the data, open your browser, typed nairaland.com, and created a topic. With all the time you used in doing this is enough for you to make the call and block you card. Nor worry, before you finish reading this another 20k will be withdrawn. FIN

One big orijin for this guy..

1 Like

Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by sekzy99(m): 4:44am On Mar 12, 2016
Its not atm card. Debit or credit card
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by mrjojo: 4:49am On Mar 12, 2016
U have been skimmed.. Your card information has been copied and ur pincode was probably recorded either with a camera or a keystoke recorder and the info was sent yo an accomplice to clone.This is nt a new thing abroad, it getting popular in Nigeria dis days.. Take a policeman to the supermarket and arrest the attendance that attended to you..
People should be VERY vigilant when using pos this days..
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by happney65: 5:08am On Mar 12, 2016
Evathyst:
Odikwa very serious! sad shocked

Although, I'm not alien to technological errors. But this your own case is a bit unusual. #20,000 on a transaction that allegedly took place in Ikeja whereas you're in Ibadan. Eehh eehh? undecided undecided

I hope it's not GTB? Na them they use style style kpansh somebody money like that. Although it has happened to Dad before, but his own case was even ridiculous. Here's someone who has never activated his ATM before talkless of using it.

My advice for you is that you quickly call your Bank's customer service to block your card first. After which you should storm their branch on Monday with better craze. When I mean better craze, I meant that kind of craze that you would nak.ed yourself and fight everyone in the bank (Both customers & Bankers). Only then will you see your money. But if you act gentle with them, na sorry go be your name.

#MyOneKoboAdvice#

Naked?I like the Naked part.. grin grin..Would love to see her Naked indeed..Just tell me the branch and the Bank you are going on Monday so i can see you there..But she is just Fat noni... grin

1 Like

Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by kennykg(m): 6:04am On Mar 12, 2016
You really dulling it o.
First thing send your bank a mail to notify them then call the number at the back of the ATM.
Take a bike to where you used the pos and create a nollywood scene.
The day dey debited me 1500 I didn't take it likely with then before you could say Jack Robinson dem Don return am even with giving me a notification cause of fear
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by Youngzedd(m): 6:58am On Mar 12, 2016
kennyman2000:
Hmmmm... I hope the dude who's incharge of the pos hasnt compromised the pos, getting customers details with the pos and sending to his accomplice. Wish u all the best in ur fund recovery.

My thought exactly.
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by babsdeebabs(m): 7:16am On Mar 12, 2016
Girltee1:
Please I'm really sorry this post is going to be a bit long.

u said 20k, credit or debit alert? What I saw above was a 20k credit alert. Pls reconfirm. A credit entry on ur account means the funds was given back,it's probably a reversal of a failed transactions you once did.
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by babsdeebabs(m): 7:17am On Mar 12, 2016

[/quote] u said 20k, credit or debit alert? What I saw above was a 20k credit alert. Pls reconfirm. A credit entry on ur account means the funds was given back,it's probably a reversal of a failed transactions you once did.
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by Roses1(f): 7:21am On Mar 12, 2016
did u ever at any time get a mesg like that? if u did then u must have given ur info to 419.
so yes, its possible that u have been scammed.

"Dear customer, due to the BVN validation in compliance with CBN bank directives, your ATM card has been de~activated call our help line on 07017170280"

Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by innason(m): 7:25am On Mar 12, 2016
immediately change your pin first at any ATM point. Lodge the complain at the Bank as a follow up.
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by bigtt76(f): 7:58am On Mar 12, 2016
Can you confirm on the alert you got when the 20k transaction took place? Was the time after your 1k transaction? If yes then the supermarket people must have cloned your card.

It may also be that the got you to enter your PIN twice. One for the 20k telling you it failed and you should enter it a second time, this time around for 1k.

Please always demand the print out from the PoS even when they tell you transaction declined or failed.
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by teemy(m): 8:11am On Mar 12, 2016
@girltee1, get the timestamps of both transactions from your online banking portal and contact your bank with the proof that you could not have been at ikeja by that time difference. if they stall and after a while do what i did in one of my threads.
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by teemy(m): 8:17am On Mar 12, 2016
i believe the good news is that merchants of pos terminals are not credited instantly. you can still get back your money if you act fast.
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by 400billionman: 8:41am On Mar 12, 2016
Girltee1:

What is the need using an ATM for a N1,000 transaction ? Cant you carry N1,000 by cash ?

Oga, stop following oyibo people like mumu.

I have an ATM account but that account is often NIL or minimum balance. Once i receive credit on it, i cash it same day.

To avoid stories that touch..
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by Ghost447(m): 8:55am On Mar 12, 2016
Girltee1:

Here is Federal Republic of Nigeria not America or any other good country where things are normal. Only use POS when there is no other option because Nigeria is an abnormal country where technology is not advanced. Always use cash except the money involved is huge or where cash is not allowed. What is N1040 that you could not keep in your pocket? perhaps you're a visitor in Nigeria. Call and visit your bank.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by boomii(f): 9:45am On Mar 12, 2016
Obviously, your card has been compromised. I'll assume you let your card out of your sight when you made payment.

Call your bank's customer care lines and send a mail for unauthorised debit on your account, have the card hotlisted to prevent further debit.

The bank will investigate and if possible retrieve your funds. It is not certain you'll get your money back tho.

Be careful with your card next time, even the number on the face of the card is enuf for payment without having your pin.
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by djshoxy(m): 10:40am On Mar 12, 2016
Sugarhugs:
So Some nairlander will now pay you back the money, nice strategy
Waiting to see your next thread of "generous nairalanders donates back 20k lost using pop"
. Common sense
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by Mike008(m): 1:47pm On Mar 12, 2016
Girltee1:

Never happened to me before.
If the transaction alerts you received also contained your account balance, check if they are still the same.
Check the time interval for both transactions too.

Better still, confirm your account balance via ATM or any other means you can. If really there is a 20,000 debit. Contact your Bank.
Be sure not to delete the text messages. They will serve as your evidence.
If your bank is uncooperative then,
you have a cause of action.

Meanwhile, I forgot my charger inside the Bank yesterday. If you find any charger in the bank just help me out. grin
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by banio: 2:36pm On Mar 12, 2016
I was scammed extra #1K on POS. Since then I have stopped using POS frequently, except when I have no option.
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Mar 12, 2016
djshoxy:
. Common sense

grin
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by blackpearl21: 4:38pm On Mar 12, 2016
Girltee1:

Yes, it has happened to me before. I made a withdrawal from an ATM in Port harcourt and was debited for another withdrawal which simultaniously happened in Lagos. Your card has been compromised. The bank wouldn't give you a refund, the best they'll do is replace your card. That by the way is what you need to do urgently, get your card replaced
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by Greatzeus(m): 5:14pm On Mar 12, 2016
Girltee1:

Sorry sis,that's sad,there is so much one could do with N20,000.
Mine was double debit alerts,on March 9th,i withdrew half of my last month salary from my salary account,my phone was dead too at that time.When i charged and on my phone,i received double alerts,showing two withdrawals,just like that,all my last month salary is gone. I went to Ekobank to complain,i was given a form to fill and asked to report after 72hours,imagine that.
Re: URGENT!!! Was I Scammed??? by Girltee1(f): 7:43pm On Mar 12, 2016
Thanks, everyone..

I decided to follow someone's advice and went to check my balance on the ATM. Surprisingly,the #20,000 was still intact.shocked

I was later told it was probably a system error from the bank..
Thanks for your contributions again. God bless you all.smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Raymond Dokpesi Steps Down As DAAR Communications Chairman / Naira: LASU Employee Trying To Withdraw Cash Dies In Bank Queue / Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.