Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,223 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:55 AM

U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening - Travel (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening (186074 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (36) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 7:06am On Apr 25, 2017
Hello Toyinmade. We don't discuss chances here. Higher education can be very expensive in the US, so it begs the question why any applicant would pay high tuition and living expenses to study a language that is the predominant language in their home country (Nigeria). The applicant may struggle to explain how that makes educational and economic sense.

Toyinmade:
Toyinmade:
Hi VO. Please a friend of mine is bin given conditional admission due to low toefl score and she was asked to attend els language center in USA for one year, also her I-20 was sent by the center.What is her chance of getting a visa? Please has anyone been given such admission here before? How would she answer if the vo ask her why did she not re write toefl instead?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by BOLAUWA: 5:30pm On Apr 25, 2017
Hello Abujaniv
Thanks a lot for your answers thus far.
I am currently admitted to university of southern mississippi, and planning to go for a visa interview soonest. I work with delta state hospitals, and intend to take a study leave during d period of study. (1)Is it advisable to go to the visa interview with my approval of study leave from my employers? NB :Sometimes, approval for the study leave my delay until there is proof (visa approval) that I am actually travelling outside the country ;(2) wat do u advice I do in dis instance. Thanks
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by amah1905: 5:31pm On Apr 25, 2017
I intend to apply for an F-1 visa against studying from Fall this year, and will be going with my child (who i see will have to apply for F-2 visa). Since she will be in school during the period of our stay in the US, will she need her own I-20 and sevis documents to apply? From reading this thread i have confirmed the documents i will need for my F1. What would i need for her F2?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 6:38pm On Apr 25, 2017
Hello BOLAUWA. Bring it along if it makes you happy. In all likelihood, it will not be examined at the interview.

BOLAUWA:
Hello Abujaniv
Thanks a lot for your answers thus far.
I am currently admitted to university of southern mississippi, and planning to go for a visa interview soonest. I work with delta state hospitals, and intend to take a study leave during d period of study. (1)Is it advisable to go to the visa interview with my approval of study leave from my employers? NB :Sometimes, approval for the study leave my delay until there is proof (visa approval) that I am actually travelling outside the country ;(2) wat do u advice I do in dis instance. Thanks
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by duduafri: 8:59am On Apr 26, 2017
Hello VOs,

Trust this meets you well.

I was refused F1 today based on 241B. I have visited the US twice and my family have also been to the US once. we have all returned form our previous visits.

During my interview, I noticed the VO asked me why my wife isnt going with me and I answered her that she wouldnt be coming with me because of her Job. she is currently focusing on her career and since i have plans to be visiting whenever the school is break.

After the interview, I researched on what 241b means and this prompted my to check our i-94 records online. I noticed that my wife's and son's departure dates were not recorded online and they have returned to Nigeria since March 4th.

Here are my questions?

1. How do I overcome 241b rejection despite being to the US twice and returned without overstaying.
2. What do we need to do to address the incomplete I-94 travel record for my wife and son as their exit date wasnt captured online.

Your prompt feedback would be appreciated.

Regards,
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 3:36pm On Apr 26, 2017
Hello duduafri. First of all, the applicable section of US visa law is 214b. Refusals under 214b can not be appealed. This section of the law covers a wide spectrum of potential ineligibilities, whereas overstays are covered under different provisions of the law. The Department of Homeland Security is responsible for I-94 data, so you would have to consult that agency:
https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home

duduafri:
Hello VOs,

Trust this meets you well.

I was refused F1 today based on 241B. I have visited the US twice and my family have also been to the US once. we have all returned form our previous visits.

During my interview, I noticed the VO asked me why my wife isnt going with me and I answered her that she wouldnt be coming with me because of her Job. she is currently focusing on her career and since i have plans to be visiting whenever the school is break.

After the interview, I researched on what 241b means and this prompted my to check our i-94 records online. I noticed that my wife's and son's departure dates were not recorded online and they have returned to Nigeria since March 4th. The Department of Homeland Security is responsible for recordk

Here are my questions?

1. How do I overcome 241b rejection despite being to the US twice and returned without overstaying.
2. What do we need to do to address the incomplete I-94 travel record for my wife and son as their exit date wasnt captured online.

Your prompt feedback would be appreciated.

Regards,
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Oseni007(m): 4:01pm On Apr 26, 2017
Hello abujaniv,
My elder brother was refused at the consulate this morning,his school resumes on the 4th may 2017, he plan to reschedule another visa interview appointment but this might be in the first week of may. He has mailed the school international admission officer and was told he could resume 2weeks into academic start date, I want to know if it is possible to attend an interview two or three days before start date on the 1-20
Thanks
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 6:52pm On Apr 26, 2017
Hello Oseni007. When a visa is approved, it still takes a few working days to get it back to the applicant. The applicant needs to cross into the US before the date on the I-20. If your relation wants to apply again, it would seem a better option to get an updated I-20 with a later start date or a letter from the school saying that it's OK to start late.

Oseni007:
Hello abujaniv,
My elder brother was refused at the consulate this morning,his school resumes on the 4th may 2017, he plan to reschedule another visa interview appointment but this might be in the first week of may. He has mailed the school international admission officer and was told he could resume 2weeks into academic start date, I want to know if it is possible to attend an interview two or three days before start date on the 1-20
Thanks
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by amah1905: 9:13pm On Apr 26, 2017
Hello VO,

I intend to apply for an F-1 visa against studying from Fall this year, and will be going with my child (who i see will have to apply for F-2 visa). Since she will be in school during the period of our stay in the US, will she need her own I-20 and sevis documents to apply? From reading this thread i have confirmed the documents i will need for my F1. What would i need for her F2?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by chuddychrles: 9:22am On Apr 27, 2017
Hello VO,
I have a scheduled F1 interview next month in Saudi Arabia, I have to do it here because i currently work in Saudi Arabia, though some folks say going to my home country is the best option for me, however, i dont have that liberty right now as i have to complete my work contract.

My questions are:
my I-20 reads ''ACADEMIC AND LANGUAGE'', is that the normal thing for someone going for a masters degree in the U.S?
or is it because i haven't yet demonstrated English language score required by the university that admitted me?
the university said i have to enrol for an intensive English language training at the institution before i commence my program of study or i can place out if i re-take IELTS.
However, i want to proceed for interview and see the outcome before i re-enrol for ielts.

please what is your take on this issue? do you think insufficient English language score might impact on my interview?

if the consular at the interview ask me the purpose of my travel?, how should i answer so it can reflect what's on my I-20 sufficiently, without painting a negative picture on my performance??

Thank you for your reply.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 9:37pm On Apr 27, 2017
Hello amah1905. Please see this site for more details:
http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng/ng-niv-typefandm.asp

amah1905:
Hello VO,

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 9:46pm On Apr 27, 2017
Hello chuddychrles. The schools themselves determine the language requirements of incoming students. US tuition can be very expensive. To be spending time and money on anything that isn't your core subject --such as language-- is a decision between you and the school. We can't coach you on how to respond to whatever questions may be asked. Just be truthful.

chuddychrles:
Hello VO,
I have a scheduled F1 interview next month in Saudi Arabia, I have to do it here because i currently work in Saudi Arabia, though some folks say going to my home country is the best option for me, however, i dont have that liberty right now as i have to complete my work contract.

My questions are:
my I-20 reads ''ACADEMIC AND LANGUAGE'', is that the normal thing for someone going for a masters degree in the U.S?
or is it because i haven't yet demonstrated English language score required by the university that admitted me?
the university said i have to enrol for an intensive English language training at the institution before i commence my program of study or i can place out if i re-take IELTS.
However, i want to proceed for interview and see the outcome before i re-enrol for ielts.

please what is your take on this issue? do you think insufficient English language score might impact on my interview?

if the consular at the interview ask me the purpose of my travel?, how should i answer so it can reflect what's on my I-20 sufficiently, without painting a negative picture on my performance??

Thank you for your reply.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by amah1905: 10:50am On Apr 28, 2017
Hello VO,

My passport will expire in June 2019 and i intend apply for a F-1 visa for a 2-year program commencing August this year. This would mean that
the validity period of my passport would be less (by a few months) than my intended period of stay in the US. What are the implications of using this passport for this F-1 application? What would you recommend?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 12:33pm On Apr 28, 2017
Hello amah1905. You could get the visa put into your present passport. When it comes time to renew your passport, you can carry the new and old one (with the visa) at the same time.

amah1905:
Hello VO,

My passport will expire in June 2019 and i intend apply for a F-1 visa for a 2-year program commencing August this year. This would mean that
the validity period of my passport would be less (by a few months) than my intended period of stay in the US. What are the implications of using this passport for this F-1 application? What would you recommend?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abagho: 1:14pm On Apr 29, 2017
Good afternoon.
This is my for time here and it's great to see there's a forum like this.

Now I recently just got admission and received my i 20 form. There is however another school I applied to, also in the US that I will love to attend if I am given admission there, and there's that chance I might be given. Now cos of time, I had to begin the process with the one I already have.

My question is, if I eventually go get the F1 visa and get the admission from the other school, can I do a transfer when I get to the US? Ans will the process be easy?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by damiliano(m): 4:24pm On Apr 30, 2017
if one gets a visa approved and days after,he gets a scholarship from the school.will he be able to use the scholarship still?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by omoluabiguy: 5:37pm On Apr 30, 2017
Dear VO,

Will the VO see my administrative assistantship when they slot in my sevis id on their system or do I have to mention to the VO that I got one?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 1:42pm On May 01, 2017
Hello abagho. I would advise you to wait until you hear from your preferred school and go from there.

abagho:
Good afternoon.
This is my for time here and it's great to see there's a forum like this.

Now I recently just got admission and received my i 20 form. There is however another school I applied to, also in the US that I will love to attend if I am given admission there, and there's that chance I might be given. Now cos of time, I had to begin the process with the one I already have.

My question is, if I eventually go get the F1 visa and get the admission from the other school, can I do a transfer when I get to the US? Ans will the process be easy?

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 1:42pm On May 01, 2017
That information is typically represented on the I-20.

omoluabiguy:
Dear VO,

Will the VO see my administrative assistantship when they slot in my sevis id on their system or do I have to mention to the VO that I got one?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 1:43pm On May 01, 2017
That's between you and the school.

damiliano:
if one gets a visa approved and days after,he gets a scholarship from the school.will he be able to use the scholarship still?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by omoluabiguy: 1:49pm On May 01, 2017
abujaniv:
That information is typically represented on the I-20.

Thank you very much
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by jah101: 5:10pm On May 01, 2017
hello house,

I have a very important question for you all;

I am an F1 Student, I just completed my BSC program and my graduation is coming up JUNE, I plan on attending an important occasion back home in Nigeria after my Graduation in June for about 2weeks Then i will return to the U.S,My F1 Visa is valid till 2018,But i am very skeptical and scared if i will be denied entry at the US Port of Entry;when coming back from my occasion;I also have my EAD Card with me but it clearly states "Not Valid for Re-entry to the US"..So it cants be used as a VISA...So my question is what are my chances of being allowed into the US back on my Valid Student Visa? What are the possibilities of entering into the U.S back with my F1 Visa,Can i go for this occasion or not

What are your suggestions/opinions??
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Talliusceciro12: 5:18pm On May 02, 2017
Dear Sir,
I just received my I-20 and I found that the course I was given is difference from the one on the I-20. My course is Accounting & Management but on the I-20 only Accounting is indicated. So what program will you recommend I write on the ds160. Accounting & Management as indicated on my admission letter or only Accounting indicated on my I-20.
Secondly, if after an I-20 has been issued and a student is awarded some scholarship can I ask the school to enter it on the SEVIS database and also send me a letter confirming the scholarship? This is because I have been offered a scholarship and it is after the issuance of the I-20.
Best,
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 6:35pm On May 02, 2017
Hello jah101. In all likelihood, your visa has an "M" under the number of authorized entries. This means "multiple," meaning you can go in and out of the US as long as 1) your visa is not expired, and 2) you are still in status as a student. The Employment Authorization Document (EAD card) has nothing to do with your ability to leave and enter the country.

jah101:
hello house,

I have a very important question for you all;

I am an F1 Student, I just completed my BSC program and my graduation is coming up JUNE, I plan on attending an important occasion back home in Nigeria after my Graduation in June for about 2weeks Then i will return to the U.S,My F1 Visa is valid till 2018,But i am very skeptical and scared if i will be denied entry at the US Port of Entry;when coming back from my occasion;I also have my EAD Card with me but it clearly states "Not Valid for Re-entry to the US"..So it cants be used as a VISA...So my question is what are my chances of being allowed into the US back on my Valid Student Visa? What are the possibilities of entering into the U.S back with my F1 Visa,Can i go for this occasion or not

What are your suggestions/opinions??
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 6:36pm On May 02, 2017
Hello Talliusceciro12. These are matters you will have to work out with the school.

Talliusceciro12:
Dear Sir,
I just received my I-20 and I found that the course I was given is difference from the one on the I-20. My course is Accounting & Management but on the I-20 only Accounting is indicated. So what program will you recommend I write on the ds160. Accounting & Management as indicated on my admission letter or only Accounting indicated on my I-20.
Secondly, if after an I-20 has been issued and a student is awarded some scholarship can I ask the school to enter it on the SEVIS database and also send me a letter confirming the scholarship? This is because I have been offered a scholarship and it is after the issuance of the I-20.
Best,
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by jah101: 3:28am On May 03, 2017
abujaniv:
Hello jah101. In all likelihood, your visa has an "M" under the number of authorized entries. This means "multiple," meaning you can go in and out of the US as long as 1) your visa is not expired, and 2) you are still in status as a student. The Employment Authorization Document (EAD card) has nothing to do with your ability to leave and enter the country.

Thanks for your response I really appreciates it;I know i have Multiple entries but my concern is;I am done with my program in my school and my graduation is June and before any student can get an EAD They have to notify the USCIS that the student is done with his/her program which will reflect on their system...so am just wondering what might come up upon entering back
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 7:56am On May 03, 2017
I think you answered your own question. If your program is completed, and you leave the country, the visa is no longer valid for reentry. If your SEVIS changes to reflect that you have entered OPT, then the visa is still valid till it's expiry or the end of OPT, whichever comes first.

jah101:

Thanks for your response I really appreciates it;I know i have Multiple entries but my concern is;I am done with my program in my school and my graduation is June and before any student can get an EAD They have to notify the USCIS that the student is done with his/her program which will reflect on their system...so am just wondering what might come up upon entering back
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by van909: 8:39am On May 03, 2017
Pls i need advice my transscript was sent from my school to wes since apr 10 and no response from them, i went to dhl office only to find out that the transcript have been delivered since 17, they even gave me the name of the person it was delivered to, but wes have not notify me via email, i have tried calling no response, sent mail no response. I dont know what to do next pls my good people advice my programme is july.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 10:56am On May 03, 2017
Hello van909. Your post is difficult to understand. It sounds like an issue you and the school will have to resolve--there's nothing the Embassy/Consulate can do.

van909:
Pls i need advice my transscript was sent from my school to wes since apr 10 and no response from them, i went to dhl office only to find out that the transcript have been delivered since 17, they even gave me the name of the person it was delivered to, but wes have not notify me via email, i have tried calling no response, sent mail no response. I dont know what to do next pls my good people advice my programme is july.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Glurssymum: 3:32pm On May 03, 2017
Please house i need clarification. I just applied for my Msc to start by august, 2017. I am newly married (no kid yet) and applying for F1 visa with the intention of travelling with my hubby on F2. Will my husband be issued a separate I-20 form?, do we pay SEVIS fee twice?, are we to fill the same DS-160 form. what other requirements are expected of us. Is bank statement required? thank you

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (36)

Dv Lottery 2012 Winner Meet Here / Adventure In Ireland / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.