Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,302 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:31 AM

Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah (15218 Views)

Igbo, The Worst Enemy To Igbo By Luke Onyekakeyah / Residents Tie Tortoise To Their Electricity Pole To Scare Off PHCN Official / Is This What Nigerians Have Been Reduced To?(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by HungerBAD: 6:48am On Mar 22, 2016
The burning desire by Nigerians to see President Buhari succeed underscores the urgent expectation for change to manifest without delay. As it were, Nigerians are not disposed to being patient. Impatience is a norm. The virtue of patience is scarce and this is understandable.

Understandable in the sense that the country has been raped and bastardised and Nigerians denied the good things of life since independence. The desire for change started from October 1, 1960. That change did not come. Barely six years into independence, the country was plunged into a fierce fratricidal civil war that claimed over a million lives.

After the war ended in January 1970, and the military took over the reins of government, Nigerians continued to expect change. The civilian interregnum between October 1979 and December 1983, was a huge disappointment. The civilians re-enacted corruption and maladministration that brought back the military.

In a nutshell, from May 1967 to October 1999, a period of 32 years, Nigeria’s affairs were run by unaccountable military juntas that failed woefully to bring the expected change in the country. The country was put in a ruinous path that only a conscientious, patriotic and committed leader could reverse.

When a new democratic dispensation was birthed in October 1999 with former president, Olusegun Obasanjo of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) at the helm of affairs, Nigerians re-enacted the desire for change. Obasanjo had the opportunity to bring change but failed after eight years of mesmerization. Obasanjo handed the baton to President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, who unfortunately died early in his administration. Nigerians think that Yar’Adua demonstrated inklings of change with his 7-Point Agenda that never materialised.

President Goodluck Jonathan succeeded Yar’Adua but instead of continuing with the 7-Point Agenda, floated a transformation agenda, which Nigerians interpreted as another side of the same coin called change. Jonathan’s perceived personal desire to bring change failed due to the greed and avarice of the powers in PDP. Thus, for 16 years, rather than see change, Nigerians saw unthinkable sleaze and utter degradation of the country.

It is little wonder, then, that when President Muhammadu Buhari and his All Progressives Congress (APC) capitalised on the psyche of Nigerians, which is desire for change, and came up with the CHANGE mantra during the 2015 general elections, Nigerians overwhelmingly bought it. The thinking is that if Buhari, whom they already know to be a no-nonsense man, is the man who will bring the change that everybody wants, so be it.

Consequently, Buhari won the 2015 presidential election and no sooner was he sworn in on May 29, 2015 that Nigerians began to demand for the change he promised. But the change is not by magic. With the mountain of problems, he ground has to be cleared first and foundation laid upon which change would be built. But Nigerians are not ready to take excuses. They want instant change.

The proverbial tortoise is known to be the wisest animal in the animal kingdom. But sometimes, it fails to apply the wisdom when it is mostly needed. Once upon a time, the animals conspired and threw the tortoise into a pit and left him there. After one year, the animals decided to bring him out of the pit. They informed the tortoise that he would be brought out from the pit on a particular day.

Rather than be patient, knowing that his ordeal would soon end, the tortoise became restless and began to hurry the animals to bring him out without further delay, claiming that the stench in the pit was killing him. The question is, after spending one full year in the pit and didn’t die, why can’t the tortoise be patient and let the animals pull him out on the appointed day?

I see a similarity between the tortoise mentality and the attitude of Nigerians who are rushing Buhari to bring change immediately even when the administration has not implemented a single budget. Granted that we all desire change, wisdom dictates that it is unrealistic to assess a government that has four years in less than a year. I think it is more sensible to support the government and watch what it is able to accomplish in four years.

I would like to stress that the change that Nigerians want cannot be accomplished by the government at the centre alone. There will be no change in Nigeria without the involvement of the states. Unfortunately, the states are overlooked while everybody is focusing on the Federal Government, which is totally misplaced.

All the basic social amenities – water, hospital, roads, schools, health centres, etc, that we need are largely the responsibility of the state governments. Though, the Federal Government had taken it upon itself, over the years, to be in-charge of electricity, nothing stops any state government from getting involved in power generation as an independent supplier.

If each state government gets serious with power supply, the power from the centre would be negligible.

The same applies to roads. Available statistics shows that there are about 200,000 kilometres of roads in the country, out of which the total federal highways is about 34,340.90 kilometres. The states and local governments have responsibility for 165,660 kilometres of roads. If the states and local government councils do their roads, the federal roads will pave into insignificance.

It is ironic that while people lament over the dilapidated inter-state federal highways like the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Lagos-Shagamu-Ore Expressway, Enugu-Port Harcourt Expressway, etc, no one mentions the intra-state roads that really serve the people. I can’t understand why the attention of Nigerians is always focused at the president while the governors are left out. Virtually, all the administrations that have presided over the affairs of Nigeria since independence passed through this unfortunate syndrome.

The worst set of Nigerians is those calling for the return of corruption with the hash-tag “Bring Back Our Corruption.” The promoters of this demented and crazy campaign argue that under corruption, food was cheap and life was better.

Across the civilised world, progress is made when there is rapport and understanding between the people and their leaders. There can be no progress when the leaders and the people are heading in opposite direction. Buhari’s anti-corruption war, if it succeeds, is big change that this country badly needs.

http://guardian.ng/opinion/why-nigerians-have-tortoise-mentality/

69 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by chocolateme(f): 6:51am On Mar 22, 2016
According to your topic caption; which particular Nigerians reasons like tortoise? Specify them.. Oh!! You mean the number one citizen? Ok I see!.

FTC
CHOCOLATE CREAM

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by tyson99(m): 6:52am On Mar 22, 2016
Useless write up

46 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by mrphysics(m): 6:54am On Mar 22, 2016
nice one

14 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by Ejemehn(m): 6:55am On Mar 22, 2016
But wait o. Of all animals, na tortoise.

Better sef......Wise animal, meaning Nigerians are wise.

grin

5 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by Firefire(m): 6:56am On Mar 22, 2016
"I would like to stress that the change that Nigerians want cannot be accomplished by the government at the centre alone. There will be no change in Nigeria without the involvement of the states. Unfortunately, the states are overlooked while everybody is focusing on the Federal Government, which is totally misplaced".

The post is completely nonsensical.

Where is the OP when APC and Alhaji Lie Mohammed made Nigerians to believe that the problem and solution of Nigeria rest with the President ?

Lie Mohammed during his campaign of calumny against the last administration overlooked the aspect of other tiers of government and focus only on the Federal Government. One ediot is now posting garbage with his tortoise brain asking idiotic questions.

Una never see anything... yeye fifu.

62 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by mrphysics(m): 6:56am On Mar 22, 2016
Nice one op.

The kind of change Nigerians expect from Buhari, even, Americans doesn't expect such from Donald Trump.

26 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by Tallesty1(m): 6:56am On Mar 22, 2016
Buhari is a no-nonsense man with a fraudulent budget. This writer is a waste. Does he think everyone has short memory like him? It is obvious that he has forgotten that buhari gave time frame in some of his promises.

If someone says that he will do something for you every year if you elect him and you bought the lie and vote for him, won't you complain when the first year is about to run out and you haven't seen anything?

Buhari said that the Nigerian economy is too reliant on oil and gas.
But his now wasting funds in oil exploration in the north
He claimed that the development of the agriculture sector and the revival of the textile industry would contribute to helping the economy move forward.
Now he's watching herdsmen destroy farms and farms products. From you farm, government buys to you farm, fulani men kills you and burn your house and you still expect people to be patient?

He promised to create
720,000 jobs by the 36 states in the federation yearly (20,000 per state).
but we are seeing is loss of jobs instead.

He promise to make the economy one of the fastest-growing emerging economies in the world with a real GDP growth averaging 10% annually.
But now I am speechless.

He promised to create additional middle-class of at least two million new home owners in the first year in government and one million annually thereafter.
but what we see now is destruction of homes in benue state and you still expect Nigeria no be patient?

No! It doesn't work that way. He saw Nigerians eating beans with one meat and He said NO! You deserve better, make me the head and you will start eating rice and beans with 3 meats, the gullible ones got him into power and now what we are eating or rather smoking is sugarless garri so if at all anybody should be likened to a tortoise, it is definitely uncle go slow.

May Great Khali squeeze the balls or breasts of whoever will quote me to spue nonsense.

72 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by mideactive: 6:57am On Mar 22, 2016
My broda,u'r thinking right.lovely write up well done

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by mrphysics(m): 6:59am On Mar 22, 2016
Firefire:
I would like to stress that the change that Nigerians want cannot be accomplished by the government at the centre alone. There will be no change in Nigeria without the involvement of the states. Unfortunately, the states are overlooked while everybody is focusing on the Federal Government, which is totally misplaced.
God bless you sir. The states are solely dependent on the federal government. Can't the states build a small factory or even company? Yet, everyone is blaming buhari for his/her family problem.

Anyway, Wailing is now a hobby

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by HungerBAD: 7:00am On Mar 22, 2016
Firefire:

Nice.

Ore Bawoni?

4 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by VictorRomanov: 7:00am On Mar 22, 2016
Our people say, u can tell the taste of poo by the smell of fart. You don't need to taste the poo.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by mrphysics(m): 7:01am On Mar 22, 2016
chocolateme:
Not only tortoise

Are you allergic to Logical Reasoning?

Why can't you say something important as FTC. C'mon modify that your post please. thank you.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by Firefire(m): 7:02am On Mar 22, 2016
HungerBAD:

Nice.

Ore Bawoni?

Daada ni, I presume you misfire... cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by DIKEnaWAR: 7:03am On Mar 22, 2016
It is right to expect immmediate change from Buhari cos that is what he promised. The disappointingg thing is that instead of leaving things as he met them in office, Buhari is busy turning things around for bad. If we continue like this, this country will collapse within two years of this Government.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by Firefire(m): 7:04am On Mar 22, 2016
mrphysics:

God bless you sir. The states are solely dependent on the federal government. Can't the states build a small factory or even company? Yet, everyone is blaming buhari for his/her family problem.

Anyway, Wailing is now a hobby

Amen!

But I blame Lie Mohammed for turning the eyes of Nigerians toward the government at the center while ignoring the role of Local Government, State Reps, Fed. Reps, Senators, and state government.

Hence, if our street road is in bad shape, we should blame Buhary and the FG. What a wicked campaign strategy.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by chocolateme(f): 7:08am On Mar 22, 2016
mrphysics:

Are you allergic to Logical Reasoning?

Why can't you say something important as FTC. C'mon modify that your post please. thank you.
.. Be like say u dey run faster than your shadow.. Na you go tell me wetin I go post? Abi you dey find novelists to promote your thread? Now run along with your FOREIGN reasoning.

6 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by mideactive: 7:09am On Mar 22, 2016
Sitdown der,make u no go task ur governors to work harder.wey d bail out fund wey Bubu giv 'em?wit so many debt profile 4 states,anything 2 show 4 it.continue dey attack Buhari while u governors rob u blind

Firefire:
"I would like to stress that the change that Nigerians want cannot be accomplished by the government at the centre alone. There will be no change in Nigeria without the involvement of the states. Unfortunately, the states are overlooked while everybody is focusing on the Federal Government, which is totally misplaced".

The post is completely nonsensical.

Where is the OP when APC and Alhaji Lie Mohammed made Nigerians to believe that the problem and solution of Nigeria rest with the President ?

Lie Mohammed during his campaign of calumny against the last administration overlooked the aspect of other tiers of government and focus only on the Federal Government. One ediot is now posting garbage with his tortoise brain asking idiotic questions.

Una never see anything... yeye fifu.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by mrphysics(m): 7:09am On Mar 22, 2016
Firefire:

Amen!

But I blame Lie Mohammed for turning the eyes of Nigerians toward the government at the center while ignoring the role of Local Government, State Reps, Fed. Reps, Senators, and state government.

Hence, if our street road is in bad shape, we should blame Buhary and the FG. What a wicked campaign strategy.

Lol, you are 100% right. People now forgot they have Senators, House of Reps, House of Assembly. You made a nice point.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by Firefire(m): 7:09am On Mar 22, 2016
DIKEnaWAR:
It is right to expect immmediate change from Buhari cos that is what he promised. The disappointingg thing is that instead of leaving things as he met them in office, Buhari is busy turning things around for bad. If we continue like this, this country will collapse within two years of this Government.

We must not continue like this.

I sincerely pray for this administration to succeed, but my feelings and sentiment over their last evil practice against the last administration is indeed 'a spoke in my wheel'. embarassed

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by funnynation(m): 7:10am On Mar 22, 2016
chocolateme:
.. Be like say u dey run faster than your shadow.. Na you go tell me wetin I go post? Abi you dey find novelists to promote your thread? Now run along with your FOREIGN reasoning.

i greet u complete..
Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by omenka(m): 7:12am On Mar 22, 2016
Jonathan’s perceived personal desire to bring change failed due to the greed and avarice of the powers in PDP.
Nonsense. Jonathan failed because he had no clue whatsoever what it entails to be the president. He was handed the office on a platter of gold and even admitted it wasn't his desire to be the president.

No one forced the words...

1. Stealing is not corruption.

2. They can insult me from head to toe, I don't give a damn.

3. If any money is missing, America will know.

4. Corruption is exaggerated in Nigeria.

5. If you bring a yam close to a goat, th goat must eat the yam.

..into the fool's head, after all, they say he's a Ph.D holder.

He was primed to fail and he deliberately employed those he figured could fast track his failure, and together, what a failure they achieved!!!

25 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by Firefire(m): 7:21am On Mar 22, 2016
mideactive:
Sitdown der,make u no go task ur governors to work harder.wey d bail out found wey Bubu giv 'em?wit so many debt profile 4 states,anything 2 show 4 it.continue dey attack Buhari while u governors rob u blind

My ideology remains the same, we should demand accountability from all our leaders starting from LG Chairmen who is collecting 22% from the federation account, House of Assembly members, Senators collecting constituency allowance on our behalf and state government collecting 26% before we now turn to the FG to ask about the whereabouts of the remaining 52%.

But now, all eyes gaze on the 52% while ignoring the impact the 48% can create within a state, all thanks to APC campaign strategy.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by plaetton: 7:22am On Mar 22, 2016
mrphysics:
Nice one op.

The kind of change Nigerians expect from Buhari, even, Americans doesn't expect such from Donald Trump.

Stop being disingenuous.

Nigerians are not demanding anything from Buhari that he and his APC did not promise.
In fact, change, immediate change, was their campaign slogan.

But let me ask you and the OP sincerely,

Looking at Buhari's budget proposal, can you honestly point out any part of the budget that portends that positive change is in the air ?

Another example, where is the change when the rule of law and the bedrock of democratic culture is being bastardized almost everyday by agents of the state ?

Pls mention anything new and positive in our politics and our economy over the last 10 months.

Let's stop deluding ourselves.

It's same old , same old racket.
Just new set of players.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by omenka(m): 7:24am On Mar 22, 2016
I see a similarity between the tortoise mentality and the attitude of Nigerians who are rushing Buhari to bring change immediately even when the administration has not implemented a single budget.
Great point.

Above is the reason I see those who keep asking "where is the change" as repugnant court jesters. They are those who can't, for a split second, get over the stumping of their preferred candidate in the last election- a candidate that is largely responsible for bringing the country to her knees. Not one budget passed/implemented yet but they wanna blight their tongues over calls for evidence of what they NEVER believed in. How more ironic could a demand get?

Those who genuinely fought for a change in admin and believe in Baba to bring about they Change they desire in the affairs of the country are patient, and are still confident in the ability of the president to see their dreams for a much better Nigeria come to pass.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by Firefire(m): 7:26am On Mar 22, 2016
plaetton:

Stop being disingenuous.

Nigerians are demanding anything from Buhari that he and his APC did not promise.

Looking at Buhari's budget proposal, can you honestly point out any part of the budget that portends that positive change is in the air ?

Another example, where is the change when the rule of law and the bedrock of democratic culture is being bastardized almost everyday by agents of the state ?

Pls mention anything new and positive in our politics and our economy over the last 10 months.

Just new set of players.

Our apologetics APC zombies have lost every sense of good judgment and reasoning, I presume this could be the work of the 'broom witchcraft'.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by mrphysics(m): 7:26am On Mar 22, 2016
plaetton:

Stop being disingenuous.

Nigerians are demanding anything from Buhari that he and his APC did not promise.

Just new set of players.

I only have one thing to tell you, if the NASS decide to play politics with the budget, the economy will remain like this. Saraki want to swap his trial with our budget, we will just be looking at them in 3D. keep wailing son.

4 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by mideactive: 7:30am On Mar 22, 2016
It has always been like dis.even wen gej was president,all eyes concentrated @ d centre.u'r very right about demanding accountability frm all our leaders,I think it's down 2 massive Awareness Campaign.n d ppl must stop selling der votes,if dey don't stop,dey can't ask 4 accountability..

Firefire:

My ideology remains the same, we should demand accountability from all our leaders starting from LG Chairmen who is collecting 22% from the federation account, House of Assembly members, Senators collecting constituency allowance on our behalf and state government collecting 26% before we now turn to the FG to ask about the whereabouts of the remaining 52%.

But now, all eyes gaze on the 52% while ignoring the impact the 48% can create within a state, all thanks to APC campaign strategy.

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by plaetton: 7:39am On Mar 22, 2016
omenka:
Great point.

Above is the reason I see those who keep asking "where is the change" as repugnant court jesters. They are those who can't, for a split second, get over the stumping of their preferred candidate in the last election- a candidate that is largely responsible for bringing the country to her knees. Not one budget passed/implemented yet but they wanna blight their tongues over calls for evidence of what they NEVER believed in. How more ironic could a demand get?

Those who genuinely fought for a change in admin and believe in Baba to bring about they Change they desire in the affairs of the country are patient, and are still confident in the ability of the president to see their dreams for a much better Nigeria come to pass.

I laugh when jesters like you say that budget has not been implemented to bring about positive change.

So you agree that a Budget is the blueprint for a regime's economic philosophy, an encapsulation of their political philosophy, economic prudence and ethical probity ?
Right sir?

Then, you must be living in la la Toothfairy land if you think that a Budget that has disappeared and appeared, contains padded figures, duplicated items, contains phantom expenses like rent in ASO Rock, N39b for propaganda and N29b for agriculture, N876m for website update, and so on and so forth,.. that this budget, this blueprint for GRAND THEFT , is going to bring positive change to Nigeria, then you sir, must living in the grandest delusion in an alternate universe.

18 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by omenka(m): 7:42am On Mar 22, 2016
plaetton:

I laugh when jesters like you say that budget has not been implemented to bring about positive change.

So you agree that a Budget is the blueprint for a regime's economic philosophy, an encapsulation of their political philosophy, economic prudence and ethical probity ?
Right sir?

Then, you must be living in la la Toothfairy land if you think that a Budget that has disappeared and appeared, contains padded figures, duplicated items, contains phantom expenses like rent in ASO Rock, N39b for propaganda and N29b for agriculture, N876m for website update, and so on and so forth,.. that this budget, this blueprint for GRAND THEFT , is going to bring positive change to Nigeria, then you sir, must living in the grandest delusion in an alternate universe.
Seen
Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by Agimor(m): 7:42am On Mar 22, 2016
chocolateme:
According to your topic caption; which particular Nigerians reasons like tortoise? Specify them..
Wailers off course.

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by dondo83(m): 7:43am On Mar 22, 2016
The write up is what the wise people know already. Our main problem is corruption! people claim its witch hunting, assuming the past administration persecuted the thieves in the opposition party Nigeria will be a better place but no they couldn't because of the yam they were eating. God knows we are on the right path and Nigeria will be better off come 2019

6 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

We'll Punish Those Responsible For Buhari's Loss In Anambra, Says APC / Retreat: Ministers’ Sack Looms As Buhari Supervises Appraisal / Ongoing Rally By Lagos Waste Managers For Tinubu/Sanwo-Olu (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.