Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,485 members, 7,819,760 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:36 PM

Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah (15245 Views)

Igbo, The Worst Enemy To Igbo By Luke Onyekakeyah / Residents Tie Tortoise To Their Electricity Pole To Scare Off PHCN Official / Is This What Nigerians Have Been Reduced To?(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by Mustay(m): 12:16pm On Mar 22, 2016
I do not expect this government to perform magic. However, what is needed is continuous communication and coordinated communication channels on its plans - you need to 'keep hope alive'. Getting conflicting statements from government officials, having people assume what the stance of government is, speaking to Nigerians in foreign lands etc won't help much. Ultimately, actions speak faster than talks too.
Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by jagbajantus: 12:31pm On Mar 22, 2016
People, whether you agree with the writer or not, I urge everybody to learn how to read and comprehend the gist of an article rather than simply dismissing it or attacking the writer. You are free to disagree with any writer, but if you do so, it will help your readers if you present a cogent and intellectual counter-argument instead of a lame attack that has no basis at all.

Any writer will know that it does take a lot of work, thought and effort to compose, write and present a concise and intelligent article, with well-rounded points, articulate analyses and good arguments. Learn to read, analyse and comprehend a writer first.
FYI, to sum it up in Simple Arithmetic terms, I think this is all that the writer was trying to say below:

Mathematics 101 - Basic Arithmetic or Simple Arithmetic

PDP - Rules Nigeria for (16) years? And the results are = ZERO, 1, 2, 3, -1, -2, -3 or ? YOU TAKE YOUR PICK. So you do the math yourself.
APC - Rules Nigeria for ( ? ) months. And the results are = YTBD (Yet To be determined)

Some people are demanding that APC give them WAEC results before the exam don even take place sef. This sums up what the writer is trying to say. SIMPLE. This is all that that the writer was trying to tell you. Now, if you disagree with am, make you present to us, your own argument and intellectual analyses and your own facts or your counter-points and counter-arguments. No need for all the cussing and dissing, cheap shots and insults and all the unnecessary verbal yanma-yanma. That is how you make an intellectual counter-argument, if you have one. Thanks.
Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by Justmary06(f): 12:31pm On Mar 22, 2016
Firefire:

Kid, go and read your books, Post-UTME is coming.

Bursting out with laughter here. Am flattered dat yu fink I look pretty young. Post-utme for me was 8yrs ago. You probly still a student or yet to be. That explains the immature post and reply. My apologizes to you for commenting on yur post. Proverbs 26:4 Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him.
Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by Nobody: 12:35pm On Mar 22, 2016
tyson99:
Useless write up
it can only be useless for an ipob or indomie generation ,some body is given u data that 2000000 km road network in Nigeria 164 thousand is own by states and u never demand ur state govermnets for fixed them ur are there ranting ur expired ipob brain ,bring up superior argument that what civilized people do
Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by akinsbaba2015: 12:39pm On Mar 22, 2016
Reference:

I know democracy is relatively new in Nigeria so some pardonable gaffes but pally, if the PDP put Nigeria on a sustainable path there will have been no need to change them. People don't vote for fun. They vote to promote their interests. That is why many can't understand the complaint by the APC about the bad precedence.

If my torchlight is dim or my car loses its reliability. I change it and I expect to get a better one and not being called a tortoise by my salesman. The same argument was made by the PDP, that we should be patient. We said no. We want change. If the APC had said, look folks, we will take 4, 8, 12, infact 16 years like the PDP had, will they have won? Get ready for power since you have the quick fixes at your finger tips. Nigerians demand strong institutions but they are impatient and unwilling to play a part, all they want is miracles. PMB & APC are on the right path to turn around, democracy has got plenty of limitations particularly for climes like ours where citizens choose to play politics over every national issue. Be reminded also that elections are where ideas are canvassed, unfirtunately PDP brought nothing to the table and so resorted to shameless propaganda which totally watered down the campaigns to pedestrian levels. Did the PDP even promise anything in rhe course of the campaigns, I doubt. In a political environment there is nothing like a party asking for 8,12 or 16years, what's important is to have a sustainable national plan of which the nation had been found wanting through the decades. The people must be able to vote in/vote out the party of their choice every 4years. Success in any venture is not achieved overnight, it's not any difference with governance.

Mark you. It wasn't a landslide victory. It was 55:45 at the end. What tipped it in favour many argue was the 'military badge' Buhari wore. That he could get things done sharp sharp, aka hit the ground running. Which one be tortoise talk now. Salesman show me the goods. Time for talk is over.
Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by akinsbaba2015: 12:44pm On Mar 22, 2016
Once again God bless the writer and I totally agree with his views. In other news, we just infected our neighbours Benin Republic with the defeat of an incumbent in power. Leaders must realise in Africa that power has returned to the people through the ballot.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by latinoKingdom(m): 12:57pm On Mar 22, 2016
tyson99:
Useless write up
he made real sense
Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by juman(m): 1:04pm On Mar 22, 2016
It is important that nigerians fasten their belts and stand up against any government that fails to perform well. This buhari government is a non performing government.

That was how other military generals ruled the country for many many years but could not achieve any tangible thing.

The swag of this apc government indicates to be another insensitive unconcerned clueless nigerian government.
Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by akigbemaru: 1:42pm On Mar 22, 2016
Tortoise mentality.
Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by successking: 1:55pm On Mar 22, 2016
The same applies to roads. Available statistics shows that there are about 200,000 kilometres of roads in the country, out of which the total federal highways is about 34,340.90 kilometres. The states and local governments have responsibility for 165,660 kilometres of roads. If the states and local government councils do their roads, the federal roads will pave into insignificance.

http://guardian.ng/opinion/why-nigerians-have-tortoise-mentality/[/quote]

In 2014, there was a concerted effort by the National Assembly, to amend the Constitution and free local government areas in Nigeria from the firm grip of the state governments to enable them carry out their constitutional responsibilities. This of course could not succeed, even though it was a laudable gesture meant to expedite development at the grassroot level. Apc, in its usual politics of bitterness, thwarted the move just to smear pdp and its government without considering the enormous resources already invested on the bill by the National Assembly or its foreseen advantages to the people. The bill was eventually dropped because it could not secure the mandatory two third majority from the state assemblies after passing and conducting of public hearing on the bill.
Today, as a concerned Nigerian, you are asking the state and local governments to rise to their responsibilities without asking the state to free up the resources of the local governments at its disposal. What kind of magical powers do you expect the local governments to employ in order for the people to feel their presence?
Nigeria is not ready for development, until she is restructured and the current constitution replaced.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by Iriruaga100(m): 1:59pm On Mar 22, 2016
This is the most senseless nd mypoic epistle on this forum. Where was the writer of the article when apc nd its change chantters were making promises that are unrealistic, not viable nd impossible to actualise. When you make promises that must be meet within a time frame, you must hit d ground running to achieve the set goals nd mandate at hand. Apc nd buhari are clueless on how to run nigeria.
Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by buzor21(m): 2:34pm On Mar 22, 2016
tyson99:
Useless write up
you sound like the aforementioned tortoise
Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by BushidoBlue(m): 3:14pm On Mar 22, 2016
Reference:

I know democracy is relatively new in Nigeria so some pardonable gaffes but pally, if the PDP put Nigeria on a sustainable path there will have been no need to change them. People don't vote for fun. They vote to promote their interests. That is why many can't understand the complaint by the APC about the bad precedence.

If my torchlight is dim or my car loses its reliability. I change it and I expect to get a better one and not being called a tortoise by my salesman. The same argument was made by the PDP, that we should be patient. We said no. We want change. If the APC had said, look folks, we will take 4, 8, 12, infact 16 years like the PDP had, will they have won?

Mark you. It wasn't a landslide victory. It was 55:45 at the end. What tipped it in favour many argue was the 'military badge' Buhari wore. That he could get things done sharp sharp, aka hit the ground running. Which one be tortoise talk now. Salesman show me the goods. Time for talk is over.

Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by BushidoBlue(m): 3:23pm On Mar 22, 2016
successking:

The same applies to roads. Available statistics shows that there are about 200,000 kilometres of roads in the country, out of which the total federal highways is about 34,340.90 kilometres. The states and local governments have responsibility for 165,660 kilometres of roads. If the states and local government councils do their roads, the federal roads will pave into insignificance.

http://guardian.ng/opinion/why-nigerians-have-tortoise-mentality/

In 2014, there was a concerted effort by the National Assembly, to amend the Constitution and free local government areas in Nigeria from the firm grip of the state governments to enable them carry out their constitutional responsibilities. This of course could not succeed, even though it was a laudable gesture meant to expedite development at the grassroot level. Apc, in its usual politics of bitterness, thwarted the move just to smear pdp and its government without considering the enormous resources already invested on the bill by the National Assembly or its foreseen advantages to the people. The bill was eventually dropped because it could not secure the mandatory two third majority from the state assemblies after passing and conducting of public hearing on the bill.
Today, as a concerned Nigerian, you are asking the state and local governments to rise to their responsibilities without asking the state to free up the resources of the local governments at its disposal. What kind of magical powers do you expect the local governments to employ in order for the people to feel their presence?
Nigeria is not ready for development, until she is restructured and the current constitution replaced.

Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by Agimor(m): 3:37pm On Mar 22, 2016
chocolateme:
nope.. It's only one wailer that I know
And who is that wailer?
Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by kYjelly2: 3:55pm On Mar 22, 2016
Soooo, who ushered in the military and all it's wasted years

is it not the same Dullarpo

mtcheew, nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by Curlieweed: 5:21pm On Mar 22, 2016
plaetton:

What do you think is corruption?
Stealing public money.

Let me repeat for those that are mature enough to understand; stealing is not corruption.
Corruption goes way beyond the act of stealing.
Corruption is a state of mind, a perverse state of mind.

When a person sworn to uphold the Constitution deliberately subverts it, then that is the ABC of corruption.
Corruption means perversion of a system or order.
Anything, any group, any person that uses authority to subvert a law or a system is corrupt and promotes corruption.

With that in mind, Buhari and his state agents are corrupt and are promoting corruption in the polity.

Buhari's growing list of corruption practices.

1. Detaining persons beyond the statutory 48hrs without charge.

2. Disobeying court orders.

There have been several cases to date.

3. Interfering with the Independence of the CBN.

4. Harassment of opposition members of Ekiti state
legislature by agents of the State. A clear violation of the separation of powers.

5. Violations of due process in the sacking of 12 Vice Chancellors of federal universities.

6. Joining a military coalition of Arab states without consultations and approval from the legislature.

7. Nepotism .
Unabashaedly Appointing his friends and loyalists to official federal positions ( our collective Commonwealth) , is one of the worst forms of corruption.

And many many more.

The point I am trying to get across here is that you cannot claim to flight corruption if you don't even understand what it is.

If Buhari wants to fight people who have stolen public funds, let him say so, not corruption.

Corruption is a bigger, all pervasive mental infrastructure of which Buhari himself, by his many actions, is also greatly infected.

Let's stop the deceit.

Epic post! Thank you, Sir

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by Blackops(m): 5:28pm On Mar 22, 2016
People are so daft....
Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by chocolateme(f): 6:58pm On Mar 22, 2016
Agimor:
And who is that wailer?
you.
Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by Agimor(m): 9:17pm On Mar 22, 2016
chocolateme:
you.
Lolx you seem to be the wailer here.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by mikolo80: 11:57pm On Mar 23, 2016
Firefire:
"I would like to stress that the change that Nigerians want cannot be accomplished by the government at the centre alone. There will be no change in Nigeria without the involvement of the states. Unfortunately, the states are overlooked while everybody is focusing on the Federal Government, which is totally misplaced".

The post is completely nonsensical.

Where is the OP when APC and Alhaji Lie Mohammed made Nigerians to believe that the problem and solution of Nigeria rest with the President ?

Lie Mohammed during his campaign of calumny against the last administration overlooked the aspect of other tiers of government and focus only on the Federal Government. One ediot is now posting garbage with his tortoise brain asking idiotic questions.

Una never see anything... yeye fifu.

everyone takes dressing from the president in Nigeria. if president allows looting everyone loots. if president is working dem never born d gwamna wey go de fuckup. when efcc full ground. (gwamna has immunity, I know, but his wife, kids and commissioners do not)
Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by mikolo80: 11:59pm On Mar 23, 2016
Tallesty1:
Buhari is a no-nonsense man with a fraudulent budget. This writer is a waste. Does he think everyone has short memory like him? It is obvious that he has forgotten that buhari gave time frame in some of his promises.

If someone says that he will do something for you every year if you elect him and you bought the lie and vote for him, won't you complain when the first year is about to run out and you haven't seen anything?

But his now wasting funds in oil exploration in the north Now he's watching herdsmen destroy farms and farms products. From you farm, government buys to you farm, fulani men kills you and burn your house and you still expect people to be patient?

He promised to create but we are seeing is loss of jobs instead.

But now I am speechless.

but what we see now is destruction of homes in benue state and you still expect Nigeria no be patient?

No! It doesn't work that way. He saw Nigerians eating beans with one meat and He said NO! You deserve better, make me the head and you will start eating rice and beans with 3 meats, the gullible ones got him into power and now what we are eating or rather smoking is sugarless garri so if at all anybody should be likened to a tortoise, it is definitely uncle go slow.

May Great Khali squeeze the balls or breasts of whoever will quote me to spue nonsense.
we voted for both corruption. we're happy. all the other problems we are used to and cannot be solved if ppl not afraid to loot
Re: Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah by jpphilips(m): 9:10am On Mar 29, 2016
Writer made some valid points but I do not agree with his passing the bulk antics, if the FG should clean up their area however little, it will serve as a yardstick to measure the performance of states.
I agree that people criticizing a government that is yet to implement a single budget are Nincompoops.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Primaries: APC Reps Weigh Options, Suspend Planned Defections / Herdsmen In Oyo Reject State's Anti-grazing Bill / FG To Provide Solar Subsidy In Nigeria Through $750 Million World Bank Loan

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.